Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,901 members, 7,814,048 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 03:24 AM

BUSTED: How Fuel Stations Cheat Customers - Crime (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / BUSTED: How Fuel Stations Cheat Customers (26944 Views)

Gana's Kidnap Gang Led By A Woman Busted In Benue. Photos / Bride Trying To Abort Pregnancy In Uganda Busted / Re: BUSTED: How Fuel Stations Cheat Customers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: BUSTED: How Fuel Stations Cheat Customers by Nobody: 2:10pm On Mar 06, 2015
What of we that use jets?
Re: BUSTED: How Fuel Stations Cheat Customers by Nobody: 2:10pm On Mar 06, 2015
So true...one need to be sharp too otherwise some of the attendants may not even give you what you are paying for.

#TeamNeverAgain. ........................................buy 1GB MTN Data plan for N1,200 only. 30 days duration. Works in all devices (Andriod/iPhone, Phone or Modem). 24/7 services available. Also Convert Airtime to Cash (20% Processing Fee). Call: 08107873795. Thanks & God bless.
Re: BUSTED: How Fuel Stations Cheat Customers by kingboy(m): 2:14pm On Mar 06, 2015
I have to say that this act is synonymous with Mobil filling stations especially the one at Gbagada.
I'm not saying others are not culprit but these are my experience with Mobil. I've sworn bit to ever purchase PMS from that filling station.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: BUSTED: How Fuel Stations Cheat Customers by ebenco2000: 2:15pm On Mar 06, 2015
yes thats what they all do especially MOBIL filling stations, they have done it to me at Gbagada and that same one on the express , but why cant mobil authorities do something about it, how can the pump dispense air, that should not be allowed, authorities should please look into this especially Mobil filling stations. at times they will even tell you there is power failure mean while other pumps will be dispensing, they tried it with me one time and I asked them if the pumps have different power source because an attendant was selling at another pump station, when you shout at them they will just quietly beg you and ask you to just pay and go.
you can imagine how much they make on daily basis if they cheat 100 customers in a day .
NNPC please investigate these two MOBIL stations they have criminals as petrol attendants and I believe the owners/managers know about it.

2 Likes

Re: BUSTED: How Fuel Stations Cheat Customers by yemicoal(m): 2:16pm On Mar 06, 2015
Its a norms for them, that's why quantities of fuel vary for different filling stations. People who buy in keg notice this often.
Re: BUSTED: How Fuel Stations Cheat Customers by darlenese(f): 2:19pm On Mar 06, 2015
That is why i prefer buying fuel with a transparent jerrycan cry embarassed

1 Like

Re: BUSTED: How Fuel Stations Cheat Customers by MidasMide: 2:21pm On Mar 06, 2015
randomFYO:
You drive into a filling station. You tell the attendant, how much you want to buy. He begins to sell and then tops at a figure, say N1000 and returns the nozzle to the pump. You then tell him, “I said N5000.” He says “Sorry, I thought you said N1000.”

You shrug. He removes the pump again from the pump, and the display is wiped off. He now proceeds to sell to you the outstanding balance.

It doesn’t matter how loudly you shout the amount you want to buy the first time, they still do it. I had always wondered why they do that nonsense until last Tuesday at Mobil by Otedola Bridge on the Lagos Ibadan Exp Way.

I told the gentleman to fill the tank. He put the nozzle into my car’s fuel tank and stopped at N1000 and returned the nozzle to the pump. I was annoyed and it was obvious. I told him I wasn’t buying again. He panicked and told me to relax and that he hadn’t sold anything. He now proceeded to sell me exactly  the amount I wanted.

In essence, the N1000 that first appeared on the display was phony. He panicked because he thought if I decided to leave at that point when all he had sold to me was hot air, I would have noticed once I looked at my fuel gauge. And he thought it was better to confess and have me quietly leave.

Apparently, when they want to play this trick, they have a way of getting the pump to read to a predetermined figure without selling anything. When you protest that that is not the amount you want to buy, they now proceed to sell the balance to you properly. In essence, you have been shortchanged by the amount they pretend to have first sold to you.
Its now a norm.
Re: BUSTED: How Fuel Stations Cheat Customers by Dayg88(m): 2:21pm On Mar 06, 2015
Vvvvvvv
Re: BUSTED: How Fuel Stations Cheat Customers by Nobody: 2:30pm On Mar 06, 2015
Granted attendants cheat, but be rest assured that no body can sell air to you. They either pump below or they don't pump at all.
A dispenser cannot dispense air, I repeat dispensers don't dispense air.

To avoid being cheated always come down from your car, and insist the meter should show zero on the display before the attendants start dispensing.

To also check the integrity of most fuel stations, buy a brand new white 10 ltrs gallon, go to the station of your choice, tell the attendants to give u 10 ltrs, only, not 1000 naira worth. If the fuel gets to the mouth of the gallon, or somewhere close to it, but we'll above that rectangular mark on most gallons, then the meter is good, anything short of that, the meter is already badly tampered with.

And be very clear on one thing, all fuel stations tamper with their meter, some just get very greedy while doing it.

2 Likes

Re: BUSTED: How Fuel Stations Cheat Customers by IbkD: 2:37pm On Mar 06, 2015
bigv:
That's just one out of their tricks. Always patronise licensed gas stations.
Hello! Mobil is licenced. Another trick is you request NGN5000 and they initially sell NGN1500 and return the nozzle. You insist on N5000, they then tell you they will sell the balance of N3500. If you are not paying attention,they do not wipe off the initial N1500 and continue to N3500. You see that and assume they sold from 0-3500. In total, you have been sold N3500 fuel and pay N5000. What I do is pay that initial amount of N1500 and buy the rest with another petrol station.

2 Likes

Re: BUSTED: How Fuel Stations Cheat Customers by blank(f): 2:44pm On Mar 06, 2015
Mobil filling stations na baba at it. They first scammed me on Ikorodu road then near their head office in VI before i realised what they were doing. They have tried it at Mobil, Jakande roundabout, Mobil Ahmadu Bello Way, Mobil at Gbagada, etc. I do not buy from Mobil filling stations even if my fuel is on empty. They are crooks and should have DPR closing them down if they haven't bribed their way through. Even after reporting to their manager, nothing happens because the manager gets a certain amount from each attendant.

I generally buy from filling stations that i see a lot of bus drivers because those ones measure the fuel very well.
Re: BUSTED: How Fuel Stations Cheat Customers by FemiFaniKayode: 2:45pm On Mar 06, 2015
Quote1:
We need protection from filling stations attendants

Who is Barcanista?

U mean Barister Ayinla the Fuji icon?
Re: BUSTED: How Fuel Stations Cheat Customers by miqos02(m): 2:46pm On Mar 06, 2015
yes, that mobil at otedola bridge is suspicious
Re: BUSTED: How Fuel Stations Cheat Customers by Donpizzle(m): 2:47pm On Mar 06, 2015
Imanuelle:
This is exactly why I have refused to buy a car.

I'll wait until I know a fuel station with honest attendants.
Re: BUSTED: How Fuel Stations Cheat Customers by Donpizzle(m): 2:48pm On Mar 06, 2015
Imanuelle:

oga u are broke.....smiley
Re: BUSTED: How Fuel Stations Cheat Customers by miqos02(m): 2:49pm On Mar 06, 2015
blank:

I generally buy from filling stations that i see a lot of bus drivers because those ones measure the fuel very well.
capital oil comes to mind

1 Like

Re: BUSTED: How Fuel Stations Cheat Customers by chacha215(f): 2:50pm On Mar 06, 2015
Same thing happened to me at Total filling station lkwerre road port Harcourt but I was smart enough cos my eyes were fixed on the metre when the attendant finished selling to the last person before me.He started to converse with me and said he has finished putting my fuel, I told him no cos he didn't clear the metre and I want to buy 3,000 worth of fuel not 1000 . He said okay and gave me 3000 naira fuel after looking at my appearance cos I was ready for him if he behaves.
Re: BUSTED: How Fuel Stations Cheat Customers by tenry(m): 2:50pm On Mar 06, 2015
While working as a filling station manager in a popular area in lagos, I used to settle so many cases between customers and attendants. At a point, we sacked all d attendants with the aim of sanitising the system. In d course of interviewing new attendants, we made sure we employed only those without experience of fuel attendant. But what surprised me was that barely two months after, those inexperienced attendants have acquired tricks to cheat and we were back to sqare one. One thing I will tell people is to pay attention while buying.

3 Likes

Re: BUSTED: How Fuel Stations Cheat Customers by Nobody: 2:51pm On Mar 06, 2015
Kingsleyinfo:
Granted attendants cheat, but be rest assured that no body can sell air to you. They either pump below or they don't pump at all.
A dispenser cannot dispense air, I repeat dispensers don't dispense air.

To avoid being cheated always come down from your car, and insist the meter should show zero on the display before the attendants start dispensing.

To also check the integrity of most fuel stations, buy a brand new white 10 ltrs gallon, go to the station of your choice, tell the attendants to give u 10 ltrs, only, not 1000 naira worth. If the fuel gets to the mouth of the gallon, or somewhere close to it, but we'll above that rectangular mark on most gallons, then the meter is good, anything short of that, the meter is already badly tampered with.

And be very clear on one thing, all fuel stations tamper with their meter, some just get very greedy while doing it.

I have actually bought from a filling station that did not tamper with their meter at all. I bought 5 litres in a 5 litre can and it was full to the brim at exactly 5.0 on the gauge. I was shocked as I did not expect that from a lesser known station. Mobil, TOTAL are huge thieves. I only buy from select MRS stations. I'be even bought from an NNPC station that adjusted their pump badly, little wonder the last time I passed there, the name of the station had changed and was totally empty.
Re: BUSTED: How Fuel Stations Cheat Customers by ACM10: 2:55pm On Mar 06, 2015
na wa o
Re: BUSTED: How Fuel Stations Cheat Customers by staymore: 2:56pm On Mar 06, 2015
Very simple situation here. The N1000 you thought you saw is N10:00. But most customers mistake it for N1000.
So, if you ask them to dispense N5000, they pretend they don't hear and dispense N10:00 and then N4000. So you thought it is N1000 + N4000=N5000, but you are wrong, they've given you N10:00 + N4000=N4010.

Another method is given 50 for 500, 2050:00 for 2500.

Most people don't really take note of this little details and they end up been cheated.

It doesn't matter how you open your eyes and look at the meter board.

1 Like

Re: BUSTED: How Fuel Stations Cheat Customers by johnsonjosbles(m): 2:56pm On Mar 06, 2015
olisamedua:
Same thing happened to me at Mobil in Gbagada, I wanted to buy N5,000 worth of Petrol, the guy inserted the nozzle and I heard the fuel pump make some noise. Immediately I opened the car door and lo and behold the guage was at N1,000.
I was like, you mean you have pumped in N1,000 worth of fuel between the time I opened the fuel tank then opened the car door (ie. within 5 secs).
That was when I started screaming... I guy quietly told me it was a mistake and sold my correct quantity. That didn't stop me from reporting to the manager though. cool
reporting to manager is the worst as most manager will do nothing and can as well make you look like a lier.
Re: BUSTED: How Fuel Stations Cheat Customers by Nobody: 2:57pm On Mar 06, 2015
Donpizzle:

oga u are broke.....smiley

How can I be?
Re: BUSTED: How Fuel Stations Cheat Customers by arimahoseloka(m): 2:58pm On Mar 06, 2015
onadana:
Total filling station here in Kaduna..are very good at ripping customers off.Some motorist avoid them like a plague.Little wonder you see less cars there yet people are willing to queue in another filling station just across the road.

Other fillings stations too are also guilty. Motorist shine your eyes.
bros, which total? total has many branches in Kaduna? I have always seen them as good.
Re: BUSTED: How Fuel Stations Cheat Customers by Nobody: 2:59pm On Mar 06, 2015
mekula:

I have actually bought from a filling station that did not tamper with their meter at all. I bought 5 litres in a 5 litre can and it was full to the brim at exactly 5.0 on the gauge. I was shocked as I did not expect that from a lesser known station. Mobil, TOTAL are huge thieves. I only buy from select MRS stations. I'be even bought from an NNPC station that adjusted their pump badly, little wonder the last time I passed there, the name of the station had changed and was totally empty.

Bros except you actually went there with a 5 ltr seraphin graduated can, the metre was adjusted.

Like I said, the degree of tamper is what makes one station better than the other.

In your case, the adjustment was very minimal, you won't notice, but I can tell you that meters are never left to factory defaults.
Don't want to say more than that.
Re: BUSTED: How Fuel Stations Cheat Customers by Joshuadon: 3:01pm On Mar 06, 2015
blackfase:

Op, that trick is a recall button on their dispenser. Someone must've bought N1000 worth within the last ten customers, so what they do is they take a note of which number any such amount falls between 1 and 10 and they just recall it, hence it shows the exact amount on the console without selling a drop. Smart of you...

THEIR METHOD OF CHEAT Z WAT I DONT TAKE, CUS THEY MAKE ME FEEL LIKE AM A FOOL,........
THEY CAN HONESTLY ASK FOR WHAT THEY HAVE CHEATED FOR,TO ME I DONT TAKE IT LIGHT WITH THEM??
Re: BUSTED: How Fuel Stations Cheat Customers by Nobody: 3:02pm On Mar 06, 2015
staymore:
Very simple situation here. The N1000 you thought you saw is N10:00. But most customers mistake it for N1000.
So, if you ask them to dispense N5000, they pretend they don't hear and dispense N10:00 and then N4000. So you thought it is N1000 + N4000=N5000, but you are wrong, they've given you N10:00 + N4000=N4010.

Another method is given 50 for 500, 2050:00 for 2500.

Most people don't really take note of this little details and they end up been cheated.

It doesn't matter how you open your eyes and look at the meter board.

It does matter how you open your eyes, its your money, you have to be careful.
As much as attendants are guilty, station owners are also greedy, its a crazy industry that I know for a fact.
Re: BUSTED: How Fuel Stations Cheat Customers by staymore: 3:06pm On Mar 06, 2015
Kingsleyinfo:

It does matter how you open your eyes, its your money, you have to be careful.
As much as attendants are guilty, station owners are also greedy, its a crazy industry that I know for a fact.

What I mean is that you are looking at the meter but you are also cheated.

Knowing the reading is what counts.

1 Like

Re: BUSTED: How Fuel Stations Cheat Customers by Cheks01(f): 3:08pm On Mar 06, 2015
The day fuel attendent in one of the filling stations here in Lagos did that 2 my bro, he got the beatin of his life. Not sure if he ll 4get it in a hurry.
Re: BUSTED: How Fuel Stations Cheat Customers by joshdgr8: 3:09pm On Mar 06, 2015
Imanuelle:

lollzz you are kidding better wake up
Re: BUSTED: How Fuel Stations Cheat Customers by Nobody: 3:14pm On Mar 06, 2015
GAZZUZZ:
solution is simple,

1.say nothing until you are standing in front of the attendant. lipsrsealed

2.tell him the amount you want to buy, watch him/her enter the amount. angry

3. watch the quantity values on the meter, if they dont move then you are being scammed, they should move according to price per liter. wink

4. watch the nozel there's a butterfly you can see via a transparent glass, it does not move you are being scammed. shocked

5. (aggressive mode) just tell the attendant you know all their tricks and if he tries rubbish you will arrest him cool

6. listen! fuel is a liquid, when its being pumped into your car you can actually here it pour so if its a quiet place just listen carefully.

So on point. Have you worked as a petroleum attendant? Or just experience?
I'm just asking, no insult intended.
Re: BUSTED: How Fuel Stations Cheat Customers by OpraMenu(m): 3:15pm On Mar 06, 2015
Imanuelle:

GUY NO DE DECEIVE YOURSELF , YOU NEVA GET MONEY. Simple !

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Kano Kidnapped Children: Photos And List Of 47 More Abducted Kids / Nigerian Bags 3 Years In Jail For Beating His Nigerian Friend Over A $500 Debt / South African Brothel Where Nigerians Were Arrested, To Be Demolished. Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.