Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,974 members, 7,814,317 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 10:59 AM

BUSTED: How Fuel Stations Cheat Customers - Crime (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / BUSTED: How Fuel Stations Cheat Customers (26947 Views)

Gana's Kidnap Gang Led By A Woman Busted In Benue. Photos / Bride Trying To Abort Pregnancy In Uganda Busted / Re: BUSTED: How Fuel Stations Cheat Customers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: BUSTED: How Fuel Stations Cheat Customers by ayokunlei(m): 6:28pm On Mar 06, 2015
Imanuelle:
This is exactly why I have refused to buy a car.

I'll wait until I know a fuel station with honest attendants.

lol... Funny comedian, u go what tire o o o .
What about buying into a transparent 50L keg and pouring d fuel into ur car tank?
Re: BUSTED: How Fuel Stations Cheat Customers by uss25dec: 6:29pm On Mar 06, 2015
am sure dats d reason y dey fight 4 customers wen dey(d customers) enter their statations
Re: BUSTED: How Fuel Stations Cheat Customers by bigv(m): 6:36pm On Mar 06, 2015
I wish you guys weren't right, but unfortunately it happens even with some so called licensed gas stations.
One begins to wonder what's the duty of the PPRA.
armadeo:

Even the licensed ones play pranks. I have stopped sitting in The car to fill my tank. I don't say anything till I open my tank myself then I tell the attendant how much I want. Even with that some stations have already manipulated their pumps.
Welcome to my country nigeria .
IbkD:
Hello! Mobil is licenced. Another trick is you request NGN5000 and they initially sell NGN1500 and return the nozzle. You insist on N5000, they then tell you they will sell the balance of N3500. If you are not paying attention,they do not wipe off the initial N1500 and continue to N3500. You see that and assume they sold from 0-3500. In total, you have been sold N3500 fuel and pay N5000. What I do is pay that initial amount of N1500 and buy the rest with another petrol station.
Re: BUSTED: How Fuel Stations Cheat Customers by Nobody: 6:44pm On Mar 06, 2015
ayokunlei:

lol... Funny comedian, u go what tire o o o .
What about buying into a transparent 50L keg and pouring d fuel into ur car tank?

I'll try this option.
Re: BUSTED: How Fuel Stations Cheat Customers by Decryptor(m): 6:45pm On Mar 06, 2015
randomFYO:
You drive into a filling station. You tell the attendant, how much you want to buy. He begins to sell and then tops at a figure, say N1000 and returns the nozzle to the pump. You then tell him, “I said N5000.” He says “Sorry, I thought you said N1000.”

You shrug. He removes the pump again from the pump, and the display is wiped off. He now proceeds to sell to you the outstanding balance.

It doesn’t matter how loudly you shout the amount you want to buy the first time, they still do it. I had always wondered why they do that nonsense until last Tuesday at Mobil by Otedola Bridge on the Lagos Ibadan Exp Way.

I told the gentleman to fill the tank. He put the nozzle into my car’s fuel tank and stopped at N1000 and returned the nozzle to the pump. I was annoyed and it was obvious. I told him I wasn’t buying again. He panicked and told me to relax and that he hadn’t sold anything. He now proceeded to sell me exactly  the amount I wanted.

In essence, the N1000 that first appeared on the display was phony. He panicked because he thought if I decided to leave at that point when all he had sold to me was hot air, I would have noticed once I looked at my fuel gauge. And he thought it was better to confess and have me quietly leave.

Apparently, when they want to play this trick, they have a way of getting the pump to read to a predetermined figure without selling anything. When you protest that that is not the amount you want to buy, they now proceed to sell the balance to you properly. In essence, you have been shortchanged by the amount they pretend to have first sold to you.

And to think that these fuel attendants are the ones shouting "Change" and "Sai Buhari". Rubbish

1 Like

Re: BUSTED: How Fuel Stations Cheat Customers by AdeniyiA(m): 6:50pm On Mar 06, 2015
Imanuelle:
This is exactly why I have refused to buy a car.

I'll wait until I know a fuel station with honest attendants.
undecided clown.
you can also wait till ur fowl grows teeth before killing it
Re: BUSTED: How Fuel Stations Cheat Customers by Nobody: 6:54pm On Mar 06, 2015
AdeniyiA:

undecided clown.
you can also wait till ur fowl grows teeth before killing it

Exactly!!
Re: BUSTED: How Fuel Stations Cheat Customers by daveP(m): 7:04pm On Mar 06, 2015
Quote1:
We need protection from filling stations attendants
become friends with a pretty, well behaved female-attendant. Then pop up the question on how the pump works.

Wemimo sat me down for 25mins and explain alot o' secrets!!

ear-wrenching! shocked

(wipes hands with napkin)
Re: BUSTED: How Fuel Stations Cheat Customers by Geenickel(m): 8:50pm On Mar 06, 2015
Nikapetrelli:
No be today d cheating start nw
hello miss...i think i know you...
sorry where u once on 2go(when it was d craze of the moment tho)??i remember having a frnd wd a name as urs....
Re: BUSTED: How Fuel Stations Cheat Customers by onadana: 8:53pm On Mar 06, 2015
[color=#006600][/color]
arimahoseloka:
bros, which total? total has many branches in Kaduna? I have always seen them as good.

Total on Kachia road and the one on Nepa round about in town.Terrible experiences and i know a lot of people who where ripped off.Infact, i played dumb and caught one of the female attendants pants down,She had to plead with me.I swore never to buy fuel or Gas there even for free. cool
Re: BUSTED: How Fuel Stations Cheat Customers by diamondinyang(f): 10:20pm On Mar 06, 2015
wealthywiseman:

Pls, if you have issues with barcanista, deal with him directly and stop posting this n0nsense meme everywhere.

why will you say such thing? what he is saying is nothing but the truth, my cousin was a pump attendant so I know all of that. don't comment what you don't know.
with due respect
wealthywiseman:

Pls, if you have issues with barcanista, deal with him directly and stop posting this n0nsense meme everywhere.

why will you say such thing? what he is saying is nothing but the truth, my cousin was a pump attendant so I know all of that. don't comment what you don't know.
with due respect
wealthywiseman:

with due respect
Re: BUSTED: How Fuel Stations Cheat Customers by Jerry2i(m): 11:01pm On Mar 06, 2015
@ op not all filling stations does that so ,please next time don't say all filling stations cheat.
Thanks!!!
Re: BUSTED: How Fuel Stations Cheat Customers by ogmask: 11:34pm On Mar 06, 2015
daveP:
become friends with a pretty, well behaved female-attendant. Then pop up the question on how the pump works.

Wemimo sat me down for 25mins and explain alot o' secrets!!

ear-wrenching! shocked

(wipes hands with napkin)

Hope she talked about adjusted pumps too.

Mobil filling station at watelines junction, phc, comes to mind.
Re: BUSTED: How Fuel Stations Cheat Customers by vikeyz(m): 12:23am On Mar 07, 2015
best thing to do is buy ur PMS using a transparent jerry can, even the blind will see the scam DASSAL

1 Like

Re: BUSTED: How Fuel Stations Cheat Customers by Nobody: 2:04am On Mar 07, 2015
randomFYO:
You drive into a filling station. You tell the attendant, how much you want to buy. He begins to sell and then tops at a figure, say N1000 and returns the nozzle to the pump. You then tell him, “I said N5000.” He says “Sorry, I thought you said N1000.”

You shrug. He removes the pump again from the pump, and the display is wiped off. He now proceeds to sell to you the outstanding balance.

It doesn’t matter how loudly you shout the amount you want to buy the first time, they still do it. I had always wondered why they do that nonsense until last Tuesday at Mobil by Otedola Bridge on the Lagos Ibadan Exp Way.

I told the gentleman to fill the tank. He put the nozzle into my car’s fuel tank and stopped at N1000 and returned the nozzle to the pump. I was annoyed and it was obvious. I told him I wasn’t buying again. He panicked and told me to relax and that he hadn’t sold anything. He now proceeded to sell me exactly  the amount I wanted.

In essence, the N1000 that first appeared on the display was phony. He panicked because he thought if I decided to leave at that point when all he had sold to me was hot air, I would have noticed once I looked at my fuel gauge. And he thought it was better to confess and have me quietly leave.

Apparently, when they want to play this trick, they have a way of getting the pump to read to a predetermined figure without selling anything. When you protest that that is not the amount you want to buy, they now proceed to sell the balance to you properly. In essence, you have been shortchanged by the amount they pretend to have first sold to you.
another way they cheat is for an attendant to pretend as if they cleaning ur car windscreen while d one dispensing doesn't wipe off d meter. eg an okada man just bought #400 fuel. they won't wipe d meter . if u come to buy fuel, they would continue selling from that amount till they get to ur desired amount. always ensure u get out of ur vehicle b4 opening ur fuel tank.
Re: BUSTED: How Fuel Stations Cheat Customers by ebonysmoot(f): 4:46am On Mar 07, 2015
I had similar experience at NNPC mega station Sapele road benin city. Told the guy I wanted #4k worth of fuel. He typed in the said amount and asked me to look at it and I did the meter was reading zero. Then he started pumping along the line used the cash he had in his hand to block the console so I couldn't see the amount pumped, was telling me trash about buying one stuff like that(cant remember what exactly) even called another attendant, a fellow thief like himself and suddenly he stopped pumping and said I don finish. Then I told him why didn't u let me see the total amount pumped, if u showed me at the beginning u should let me see the board at the end. Then I started to raise my voice, he started begging and started all over again, pumped the original #4k I requested, after I was don insulting him and he was don shortchanging himself, I still went to report him to the manager. I told the manager I don't care if he deals with him or not me I have dealt with him on my own, i'll only keep telling my story to people to be careful about the mega station.
Re: BUSTED: How Fuel Stations Cheat Customers by jaz(m): 8:38am On Mar 07, 2015
yeah, i agree with you. knowing you've been scammed is no issue but proving it... ?
Untainted007:

If your fuel gauge is working, then try to know how many bars on ur fuel gauge equals to so so amount, this goes with frequent follow up on ur gauge whenever you top, upso even when u are been cheated you will quickly detect. And if your gauge is not working then OYO is ur case.
Re: BUSTED: How Fuel Stations Cheat Customers by Nikapetrelli(f): 10:22am On Mar 07, 2015
Geenickel:

hello miss...i think i know you...
sorry where u once on 2go(when it was d craze of the moment tho)??i remember having a frnd wd a name as urs....
yes n Nikapetrelli was my user name
Re: BUSTED: How Fuel Stations Cheat Customers by wealthywiseman: 12:14pm On Mar 07, 2015
diamondinyang:

with due respect
with due respect

with due respect

My dear, you are getting it very wrong here, I am not contesting the discourse on fuel stations and their gimmicks. My post here is reaction to a certain individual who keeps posting memes ( an internet symbol or social idea) of a nairalander (barcanista) on every thread he comes across.

Please, relax and have a wonderful day

Cheers
Re: BUSTED: How Fuel Stations Cheat Customers by wealthywiseman: 12:44pm On Mar 07, 2015
ishiamu:

why you obsessed with barcanista

Guy, I do hope you understand what obsessed means. I asked because I can't seem to farthom how that phrase could be applicable here.

Now get it right. when a clown keeps posting memes (if you know what that means) on every thread on nairaland to distract attention doesn't that look really stupid.
Re: BUSTED: How Fuel Stations Cheat Customers by ishiamu(m): 6:59pm On Mar 07, 2015
wealthywiseman:

Guy, I do hope you understand what obsessed means. I asked because I can't seem to farthom how that phrase could be applicable here.

Now get it right. when a clown keeps posting memes (if you know what that means) on every thread on nairaland to distract attention doesn't that look really stupid.

For you to create a memes for someone that ha left your party for months now and you still show the memes means obsession to me, if it's not he should have gotten over it
Re: BUSTED: How Fuel Stations Cheat Customers by Geenickel(m): 7:06pm On Mar 07, 2015
Nikapetrelli:
yes n Nikapetrelli was my user name
woooww,then it's you then......

nice meeting you here,uhm will u offer me d privilege of havn u on my watsapp contact list
Re: BUSTED: How Fuel Stations Cheat Customers by daveP(m): 9:09pm On Mar 07, 2015
ogmask:

Hope she talked about adjusted pumps too.

Mobil filling station at watelines junction, phc, comes to mind.
i heard that its the engineers that help mobil do theirs that are now all over, making cash from digital manipulation of these pumps. Some even do it in broad daylight. An average fellow would assume, its faulty. Not knowing the man with the spanner is actually doing "Economic evil"

1 Like

Re: BUSTED: How Fuel Stations Cheat Customers by Nikapetrelli(f): 9:44pm On Mar 07, 2015
Geenickel:

woooww,then it's you then......

nice meeting you here,uhm will u offer me d privilege of havn u on my watsapp contact list
Wat was ur user Id then on 2go?
Re: BUSTED: How Fuel Stations Cheat Customers by Geenickel(m): 10:58pm On Mar 07, 2015
Nikapetrelli:
Wat was ur user Id then on 2go?
Gerald 1194....and it still is...
Re: BUSTED: How Fuel Stations Cheat Customers by Nikapetrelli(f): 10:40am On Mar 10, 2015
Geenickel:

Gerald 1194....and it still is...
Sowie,can't remember d Id
Re: BUSTED: How Fuel Stations Cheat Customers by Geenickel(m): 10:49am On Mar 10, 2015
Nikapetrelli:
Sowie,can't remember d Id
we ddnt chat much shaa........
dts y u ddnt remember...
r u on fbk?
Re: BUSTED: How Fuel Stations Cheat Customers by Nikapetrelli(f): 3:44pm On Mar 10, 2015
Geenickel:

we ddnt chat much shaa........
dts y u ddnt remember...
r u on fbk?
yes
Re: BUSTED: How Fuel Stations Cheat Customers by Geenickel(m): 4:19pm On Mar 10, 2015
Nikapetrelli:
yes
name plsss...
Re: BUSTED: How Fuel Stations Cheat Customers by z3us(m): 1:14pm On Mar 12, 2015
CONOIL DOES THAT TOO....BUH N500 MOST TIMES........
Re: BUSTED: How Fuel Stations Cheat Customers by Nikapetrelli(f): 5:07pm On Mar 12, 2015
Geenickel:
name plsss...
view profile
Re: BUSTED: How Fuel Stations Cheat Customers by cheerycee(f): 1:00pm On May 30, 2018
Filling stations are still engaging in the fraudulent practices of short-changing consumers despite Department of Petroleum Resources’ reported efforts at curbing them.

In view of the endless complaints by motorists and other consumers of Premium Motor Spirit (PMS), otherwise called fuel, about the sharp practices perpetrated by most filling stations in Nigeria, I visited 12 filling stations to ascertain the veracity of some of these complaints. I randomly chose six filling stations in Port Harcourt, Rivers State and six in Lagos State. In each of the filling stations I visited, I bought fuel like every other Nigerian, but I kept my eyes wide open unlike many.

To achieve a high level of accuracy, my investigation in each state was conducted on the same day using a newly-purchased plastic can. All the filling stations I visited, both in Lagos and in Rivers State, dispensed fuel at the official pump price of N145 per litre, except NNPC which sold at N143 per litre.

Port Harcourt, April 16, 2018

On Monday, April 16, 2018, I arrived at Rainoil Filling Station on Station Road, Port Harcourt, at about 9am with a brand new 4-litre plastic can. I told the attendant, who gave her name as Jennifer, to fill up the can. I kept my eyes glued to the metre and by the time the can filled up, it read 4.15 litres instead of 4 litres. In other words, to fill a 20-litre plastic can in this filling station would require the consumer paying for 20.75 litres instead. Similarly, a consumer who pays for 20 litres of fuel here goes home with 19.25 litres of the product.

Leaving Rainoil Filling Station, I quickly emptied the can of fuel and in a few minutes, I was at Karibi Joy Intl Ltd, located opposite Salvation Ministries Church, on Iwofe Road.

A middle-aged female attendant who told me her name was Obele got up immediately she saw me with a can and excused herself to switch on the generating set. When she reappeared, I told her to fill up the can. She did and hung up the nozzle. When I looked at the metre, it read 4.35 litres and the price was N630.75. I told her 4.15 litres costing N600 had filled the same can only a moment before.

“I don’t understand,” the attendant said as she sat down.

We argued back and forth, until the manager sauntered in and asked what the problem was. I explained.

“You can only complain if the difference is up to 0.5 litres, but the 0.2 litres is nothing. There is no argument in zero point something,” the manager told me.

“If it’s up to 1 litre or 0.5 litres, you can argue. Turn the fuel in that can into another container and go back to that first filling station, you might not get exactly that 4.15 litres,” he said.

When I told him I’d do as he advised, he got irritated.

“You can be doing that, measuring fuel from one filling station to the other, if you like to do that. You can be checking like that,” he said and walked away. I paid and left as a vehicle drove in.

From my calculation, a consumer who paid for 20 litres of fuel at this filling station would go home with 18.25 litres as 21.75 litres of fuel, and not 20 litres, would fill a 20-litre can.

At Anele Filling Station, which is a few minutes’ drive from Karibi Joy Filling Station, I met a young lady who told me they had fuel but could not dispense because there was no power supply. Anele is located beside Clen-phil Hotels and Suites and opposite Adah Shopping Mall.

From there, I went to Soltech Energy Services Limited on Ada George Road, just opposite Cosy Plaza. Here, 4.16 litres of fuel filled the 4-litre can at the total price of N603.20. This means that the quantity of fuel that would fill a 20-litre can at this filling station is 20.8 litres. If a consumer purchased 20 litres of fuel here, that consumer would go home with 19.2 litres.

My next stop was Chinda Petroleum Ltd on Ikwerre Road. At the far left end of the filling station is Rivers State University, Nkpolu-Oroworukwo, while adjacent to it is the Nigerian Police Divisional Headquarters building. Here, I paid N623.50 for 4.30 litres of fuel to fill the 4-litre can. The implication is that a 20-litre can would require 21.5 litres of fuel to fill up at this filling station. If a consumer paid for 20 litres of fuel here, what would be dispensed would be 18.5 litres.

http://www.businessdayonline.com/investigation-filling-stations-short-change-consumers/

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Nigerian Bags 3 Years In Jail For Beating His Nigerian Friend Over A $500 Debt / Kano Kidnapped Children: Photos And List Of 47 More Abducted Kids / South African Brothel Where Nigerians Were Arrested, To Be Demolished. Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.