Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,898 members, 7,821,128 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 08:42 AM

Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 - Travel (24) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 (893751 Views)

Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 4 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 3 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) ... (333) (Go Down)

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by drafrican: 9:53pm On Mar 12, 2015
stinux:
@drafrican, were u able to do this from BA website or wakanow?

& stinux I used British airways website
Use d desk top to give a wider range of dates

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by jyde2014: 10:26pm On Mar 12, 2015
hi all,
pls can anyone help with doctors and hospital contacts in dallas plssssss?
or if anyone can direct me to pages where i can get these info.thank you very much.
one love.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by olokings(m): 10:35pm On Mar 12, 2015
jyde2014:
hi all,
pls can anyone help with doctors and hospital contacts in dallas plssssss?
or if anyone can direct me to pages where i can get these info.thank you very much.
one love.

Hellos jyde. ...
U could check out JPS hospital. . Arlington Hellos centre. .. parkland hospital. . .and scan thru doctors affiliated with them. ..
Touching down at Dallas 1st August for delivery...yet to make an appointment though
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by drafrican: 10:53pm On Mar 12, 2015
@ stinux
Here's how to get a very good rate
1) use British airways desktop site(shows a wider range of dates)
2)you will see quotes of dates before tax
The range looks like this: $384,$333,$214,$213
3) your target is to pick a date with both inbound and outbound for about $214
4) you may have to adjust your dates
For I.e I got a quote for $1173 but tonight I adjusted my return date by a week and ended up with a quote of $1043
5) British airways exchange rate is 201 but GTB is 199
Sadly it's over 200k but that's cos of the dollar rate if it was 189 the ticket wlike have been under two hundred thousand
Hope u get a $1000 ticket which is a very fair deal tried other airlines they are all at least $1400
If anyone got it cheaper lets know

2 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by dittobaby: 11:49pm On Mar 12, 2015
mabels:

Ha. That ll be expensive o
Gtb dollar rate is higher than BA's. You can use ur master card to pay online. Ve used my fcmb card to pay before.

I guess I'll just book online and go to their office to pay. Thanx
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by dittobaby: 12:22am On Mar 13, 2015
uchetobi:

I booked my ticket on hold via their website and paid through my gt internet banking. Was way cheaper than waka now

I've been trying that but I keep getting a message saying the payment cannot be confirmed cas of variation in the amount. The message also provides another amount slightly lower than that of the Naira equivalent from BA. I'll just go and pay in their office cas I don't want my money to hang o.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by dittobaby: 1:23am On Mar 13, 2015
Please these questions are for those staying at or have stayed at the In town Suites at Rolling Creek Drive, Houston:

Are there many Nigerians there?
Are the rooms(two bed) spacious enough? Is there always hot water running?
Is there an iron/ironing board?
What other amenities aside kitchen utensils should one bring along or prepare to buy?
what is the cost of extra cleaning service?
Is the $50 tax paid every week. If yes, is it refunded at the end of the week or is the total tax refunded at the end of your stay?
Is there a discount for paying monthly?
How is the WI FI service? Is is fast and efficient?
How is life around the place? Are there malls, parks, fast food joints, train/bus station etc nearby?
There is a daycare(Happy Kids) close by. How close is it? Can a very heavily pregnant woman walk there and back to the suites every morning and evening?
What are the shortcomings one should know and prepare for?

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by maypra: 2:34am On Mar 13, 2015
[quote author=mabels post=31562080][/quote]
@mabels, pm me to get the hospital charges and mail from them.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by Oresmum: 2:39am On Mar 13, 2015
dittobaby:

Let me make an attempt to respond since I stayed there in January. Note that my responses are based on my own experience alone o

Please these questions are for those staying at or have stayed at the In town Suites at Rolling Creek Drive, Houston:

Are there many Nigerians there? I did not meet any. Perhaps because I was not looking out for as I already had my mum with me

Are the rooms(two bed) spacious enough? Is there always hot water running?[/b][b]Spacious in what sense? The rooms are not really as big as the pictures look and yes there was always hot water running while I was there
Is there an iron/ironing board? T[b][/b]There was none
What other amenities aside kitchen utensils should one bring along or prepare to buy?[/b] [b]Bucket (if you need), Cups, Plates, Cutlery, additional toiletries as you only get one toilet roll throughout your stay smiley
what is the cost of extra cleaning service? I cannot remember. You can call them and find out. Cleaning is weekly only.
Is the $50 tax paid every week. If yes, is it refunded at the end of the week or is the total tax refunded at the end of your stay? It was only collected on the 1st week and was refunded at the end of my stay.
Is there a discount for paying monthly? Yes. There is a tax refund for stay up to 30days and over. Again, call them to verify
How is the WI FI service? Is is fast and efficient? WiFi is alright. Not exceptionally fast but was good enough. You can only connect up to 3 devices at a time
How is life around the place? Are there malls, parks, fast food joints, train/bus station etc nearby? There is a food store within walking distance, just across from the Suite. There are a few fast food joints (Denny's and MacDonalds were within walking distance for me. It depends on your stamina level) There is a metro bus stop close by but I never got a bus card throughout my stay (the process was a bit complicated for me)
There is a daycare(Happy Kids) close by. How close is it? Can a very heavily pregnant woman walk there and back to the suites every morning and evening? The daycare is beside the food store - also across the road from the Suite. I'm sure you will be able to walk there and back. It'll be good exercise
What are the shortcomings one should know and prepare for? Ehm....Come with as much food as you can manage to bring. The African stores are not close by at all; there is a laundry room where you pay about 5dollars per wash and dry; I can't remember anything else right now.

What hospital are you using?

9 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by dittobaby: 3:16am On Mar 13, 2015
[quote author=Oresmum post=31567995][/quote]

Thanks a million and God bless you for your response! I just wanted to be sure the place was manageable cas I can get easily irritated.
Though I still have to see how I'll cope in one single room with my mum for three months! undecided God willing, I'll be using Northwest Medical Centre.
I just received my acceptance/appointment letter from Dr Glenn Morgan today smiley I think it was from you I got the info about the hospital and Dr. on this thread. Thanks once again. I hope your baby is doing fine. Would appreciate any more useful info.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by FinanceFitness: 4:46am On Mar 13, 2015
x
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by Riz2015: 5:06am On Mar 13, 2015
Hi Guys, I was wondering if any of beautiful and optimistic people can help me.

Me and my wife is in USA on b1/b2 visa Untill end of July, my wife is pregnant and our baby is due first week of June, I have been told to go to ben taub Hospital.

It's only me and my wife here since its first baby I am running around like headless chicken.I was wondering what would be the process.
I have taken my wife to ibne Sina in southwest and they gave me confirmation of her pregnancy and told me to apply for chup as far as I am concerned I am not us resident on b1/b2 visa.any help would be much appreciated.
Kind Regards
Riz
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by Pitykitten: 6:18am On Mar 13, 2015
[quote author=Riz2015 post=31568559]Hi Guys, I was wondering if any of beautiful and optimistic people can help me.

You can't apply for anything! You have to pay your full bills. What you should do is browse this thread for affordable options. Please do not accept any USaids.

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by dere5: 6:53am On Mar 13, 2015
Riz2015:
Hi Guys, I was wondering if any of beautiful and optimistic people can help me.

Me and my wife is in USA on b1/b2 visa Untill end of July, my wife is pregnant and our baby is due first week of June, I have been told to go to ben taub Hospital.

It's only me and my wife here since its first baby I am running around like headless chicken.I was wondering what would be the process.
I have taken my wife to ibne Sina in southwest and they gave me confirmation of her pregnancy and told me to apply for chup as far as I am concerned I am not us resident on b1/b2 visa.any help would be much appreciated.
Kind Regards
Riz

If you were told to go to Ben Taub i am guessing you are in the Houston axis. So you should search for hospitals and doctors in that axis and tell them you are paying cash,so that you can get the self pay discount.
Dr Fagbohun and oakbend hospital is a good place to start.
On no account should you take anyform of medical aid o,except you and your wife dont have any plans of coming back to the Us ever again,because visa renewal would almost be impossible if you do that.
With a bit of research on the old and new thread,you should be ok.

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by Riz2015: 7:02am On Mar 13, 2015
Thank you soo much for your prompt reply Kitten.How do I go about doing the whole process.what would be the cheapest option. I live in southwest Houston.

Warm Regards
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by nefertitiram: 7:06am On Mar 13, 2015
slanliz007:
Hello everyone,

Please for those of us that landed in Newyork and then moved on to Houston, please I need some very important information from you guys.

Although I have bought my ticket to houston direct, however I am planning to change my poe to Newyork.

So I need to know how you got a domestic flight from new york to houston details and possibly accommodation in new york that is if you stayed in an airport hotel.

Thank you.

My last trip to US was Lagos to JFK then I took american airline to Chicago.
All you do is buy your ticket IN ADVANCE from www.expedia.com
Buy early o! Because a trip of $90 can become $300 if you book too close to your flight.

Also depends on when you are arriving.
If you arrive early, like 10am, book a 5pm flight to save on hotel costs in NY. New York is so expensive, it makes your eyes water!

As soon as you arrive, take the Air train to Terminal 8, it is free if it is within the airport. Terminal 8 is domestic terminal for American Airlines.
As per baggage, Carry on is free.
1st bag is $25
2nd bag is $35

But as a sharp girl, I checked in one bag, and carried d 2nd as carry on luggage (it wasn't so big though).
At the entrance of the plane, they will take it from you and add to other luggage wink

3 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by drafrican: 7:11am On Mar 13, 2015
dittobaby:

I guess I'll just book online and go to their office to pay. Thanx
You will pay a service charge at their office bank rates are regulated by CBN and can only differ by a maximum of 1 or 2 NAIRA which is 2000 your service charge to BA at their office will be more than that
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by bbaby84(f): 7:32am On Mar 13, 2015
nefertitiram:

My last trip to US was Lagos to JFK then I took american airline to Chicago.
All you do is buy your ticket IN ADVANCE from www.expedia.com
Buy early o! Because a trip of $90 can become $300 if you book too close to your flight.

Also depends on when you are arriving.
If you arrive early, like 10am, book a 5pm flight to save on hotel costs in NY. New York is so expensive, it makes your eyes water!

As soon as you arrive, take the Air train to Terminal 8, it is free if it is within the airport. Terminal 8 is domestic terminal for American Airlines.
As per baggage, Carry on is free.
1st bag is $25
2nd bag is $35

But as a sharp girl, I checked in one bag, and carried d 2nd as carry on luggage (it wasn't so big though).
At the entrance of the plane, they will take it from you and add to other luggage wink

Why not just do southwest? Cheap and cheerful and also. .. you can check in 2 bags free. .. they are perfect for we baggage people.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by mabels: 8:55am On Mar 13, 2015
maypra:

@mabels, pm me to get the hospital charges and mail from them.

Done that. Tnx
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by nefertitiram: 12:02pm On Mar 13, 2015
bbaby84:

Why not just do southwest? Cheap and cheerful and also. .. you can check in 2 bags free. .. they are perfect for we baggage people.

Southwest to Chicago? *blank stare*

Southwest goes to a specific part of US, it doesn't cover the entire us, only the South West.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by dittobaby: 12:52pm On Mar 13, 2015
drafrican:

You will pay a service charge at their office bank rates are regulated by CBN and can only differ by a maximum of 1 or 2 NAIRA which is 2000 your service charge to BA at their office will be more than that

If I pay at the bank, can I still go to them and request for wheelchair?
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by shelly23: 1:15pm On Mar 13, 2015
Southwest goes to Chicago, not O'Hare Int Airport, goes to Chicago midway.

The name is southwest cos they started in the southwest but they've merged with other airlines and expanded their routes, although still not as wide as the bigger domestic airlines.

nefertitiram:

Southwest to Chicago? *blank stare*

Southwest goes to a specific part of US, it doesn't cover the entire us, only the South West.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by nefertitiram: 1:24pm On Mar 13, 2015
shelly23:

The name is southwest cos they started in the southwest but they've merged with other airlines and expanded their routes, although still not as wide as the bigger domestic airlines.

Will check it out, although am already booked directly to Chicago frm Lagos! Lol. Always thout SW didn't do Chicago, cos I have never seen it on expedia. Now dat u mentioned Midway Airport, no wonder!!

Hope it's also as cheap as AA. That baggage wahala eh, very annoying.
That's how on my return trip, I started pressing everything but nada!

Ended up paying the $35 cos I was 20 seconds to missing the flight! It was so close.
Infact, did alaroro so tey, I booked a room in 'Manhattan' cos it was cheaper than the hotels near the airport. Only for me to land in Harlem, Yankee people can do wayo more than us! I only see it as tourist experience sha! And luckily wasn't preggie then. It's no adventure for any preggie I tell you! Only good side was being able visit 5th Avenue for some last minute shopping on Thanksgiving night wink

This time I got tkt to Chicago at d price I got tkt to NY d last time.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by DeeandGLady: 1:25pm On Mar 13, 2015
chidaroy:
Hi Nairalanders

Can anyone help with contact and name of a very budget friendly Doctor?
Really banking on you guys

It depends on what your budget is, state what your budget and we can advice you with doctors around your budget.

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by shelly23: 1:32pm On Mar 13, 2015
I normally book directly from southwest.com. I've been flying Southwest since I was in college so I know most of their routes like the back of my hand.

nefertitiram:

Will check it out, although am already booked directly to Chicago frm Lagos! Lol. Always thout SW didn't do Chicago, cos I have never seen it on expedia. Now dat u mentioned Midway Airport, no wonder!!

Hope it's also as cheap as AA. That baggage wahala eh, very annoying.
That's how on my return trip, I started pressing everything but nada!

Ended up paying the $35 cos I was 20 seconds to missing the flight! It was so close.
Infact, did alaroro so tey, I booked a room in 'Manhattan' cos it was cheaper than the hotels near the airport. Only for me to land in Harlem, Yankee people can do wayo more than us! I only see it as tourist experience sha! And luckily wasn't preggie then. It's no adventure for any preggie I tell you! Only good side was being able visit 5th Avenue for some last minute shopping on Thanksgiving night wink

This time I got tkt to Chicago at d price I got tkt to NY d last time.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by twizzie: 1:36pm On Mar 13, 2015
Southwest is just the best airline if they will get to your destination. Just check to be sure. Their baggage policy is the best...
Good to be back here again after a loooong time.. Motherhood no be beans o...
I hail the likes of phema, tvegas n co that still find time to respond to people's queries.. Phema you sure say we no go start our own consulting firm like this?
@ Nef, my sister, you sef fit join the team... How are you and the babies? (My spirit been dey tell me say them be three) Take care dear..

shelly23:

2 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by stinux(f): 1:37pm On Mar 13, 2015
Thanks for the info, but l think it has to do with destination as well. JFK is the cheapest have seen so far. It wouldn't be a bad idea to get local flight from New York to the preferred final destination.

drafrican:
@ stinux
Here's how to get a very good rate
1) use British airways desktop site(shows a wider range of dates)
2)you will see quotes of dates before tax
The range looks like this: $384,$333,$214,$213
3) your target is to pick a date with both inbound and outbound for about $214
4) you may have to adjust your dates
For I.e I got a quote for $1173 but tonight I adjusted my return date by a week and ended up with a quote of $1043
5) British airways exchange rate is 201 but GTB is 199
Sadly it's over 200k but that's cos of the dollar rate if it was 189 the ticket wlike have been under two hundred thousand
Hope u get a $1000 ticket which is a very fair deal tried other airlines they are all at least $1400
If anyone got it cheaper lets know
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by nefertitiram: 1:42pm On Mar 13, 2015
twizzie:
Southwest is just the best airline if they will get to your destination. Just check to be sure. Their baggage policy is the best...
Good to be back here again after a loooong time.. Motherhood no be beans o...
I hail the likes of phema, tvegas n co that still find time to respond to people's queries.. Phema you sure say we no go start our own consulting firm like this?
@ Nef, my sister, you sef fit join the team... How are you and the babies? (My spirit been dey tell me say them be three) Take care dear..

Ah! I don upgrade my mental info to Southwest o!
I thought all domestic airlines were winches like that Spirit airline!!!

Madam you too funny o! Three ke? Na only two breast person get o!
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by nefertitiram: 1:43pm On Mar 13, 2015
stinux:
Thanks for the info, but l think it has to do with destination as well. JFK is the cheapest have seen so far. It wouldn't be a bad idea to get local flight from New York to the preferred final destination.

As advised on the forum! Check out southwest for domestic airlines. But book ahead for cheaper fares

(1) (2) (3) ... (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) ... (333)

Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 4 / Polish Student Visa / Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program- Connect Here Part 5

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.