Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,152 members, 7,811,297 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 08:39 AM

Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 - Travel (29) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 (891905 Views)

Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 4 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 3 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) ... (333) (Go Down)

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by Marylandmama: 3:28pm On Mar 16, 2015
caprock:
Please house, i need contacts for Doctors and hospitals that nairalanders have used in maryland. how i can contact them. my email is
ogbaa1@yahoo.com . i will appreciate if anyone can give me useful information.

Maryland is a bit expensive when it comes to giving birth. I used Howard County hospital and the bills is as follows;
Hospital bill $5413
Baby $880
Ped $290 and $70 for each visit
OB doc $ 3300

Depending on where you are staying in Maryland, you can check out Shady Groove hospital. It think it's cheaper.

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by tbaby2015: 3:38pm On Mar 16, 2015
Omodaraju:

Not sure how to go about that now, try send me one so i can respond.

i think you got it eventually. saw ur PM. Please respond to my email
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by Zozokuzo142: 3:52pm On Mar 16, 2015
pattyreal:
Ma fellow nairalanders! Wit great joy in ma heart I announce d birth of ma american princess. She came in on wed 8am @ MIHS. Sowi I didn't post dis earlier. My hands hv been tied wit both toddler & new born. I'm impressed wit d service I got. No regrets @ all. I'll recommend dem if u r wrkn within a budget & u dn't want unnecessary surprises!. Always ask dis question"is dis service part of ma package?" even if it's flu shot 2 avoid stories dat touch. Will kip u updated as time goes on.

Pls which POE did you use to Phoenix??
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by mrsmo: 4:19pm On Mar 16, 2015
feddy27:
Congrats MrsMo ! God bless and keep you and your lil one!

Thanks
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by lalavita: 4:21pm On Mar 16, 2015
If you are a UK Citizen, yes you can use ESTA visa waiver for childbirth as medical is listed as one of the accepted uses of the visa.
However, unlike B1/B2 visa, ESTA is completely non-extendible so if you end up requiring more than 90 days, you are totally stuck because overstaying on the visa waiver programme makes you automatically ineligible in the future (i.e. you will have to apply for a B1/B2 if you want to visit America in the future)

Short answer: If your trip is 90 days or less, use visa waiver; if you want to stay longer, apply for a B1/B2 - note that in either case, you will still require the necessary documents like evidence of sufficient funds, doctors plans etc...

0yin:

Hello people,

kindly help!!!

- Does one with birtitsh passport require a visa for birthing in the US

- This passport is non transferable to children (before some people start asking why not consider the UK for birthing)

- If one requires a visa what is the process like?

- if the visa is not required what is the process like.

Remember that those with the UK passport have a waiver to the US for 90 days maximum without a visa.

Would appreciate your responses. Thank you

2 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by drafrican: 4:35pm On Mar 16, 2015
Hopesprings:

Hi drafrican

Can I ask what doctor/hospital you are using in Maryland and the associated costs.

Thanks!

Howard university hospital (fsfleur@huhosp.org) but cross check d distance with where u are staying.
If you've had a complication free pregnancy n no complications with baby the estimate is $9500 all inclusive( epidural peadiatrician etc) and you are not charged extra if you come for false labour.
Heard Prince george is cheaper though, but I got confused dr Akoda said estimate is about 4500-6500( his secretary) but the hospital sent me a quote of $10,000.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by shade16(f): 4:37pm On Mar 16, 2015
finechickala201:

We are like a big small family here. intown is cheaper than the two mentioned.you are to clean your room ,cleaner's only clean once a week. breakfast is not provided. if you want help and nice people to be around with ? consider intown
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by drafrican: 4:45pm On Mar 16, 2015
stinux:
Congratulations @drafrica. Which hospital have you concluded on in Maryland?

Howard university hospital
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by weaseloo: 4:50pm On Mar 16, 2015
mummyprincess:
@ Weaseloo, pls reply my pm. Tnx

Done.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by lalavita: 4:55pm On Mar 16, 2015
For people interested in giving birth in Maryland/DC/VA, here is my list. I also added from other nairaland members who have shared their experiences.

As mentioned before, it is quite pricey compared to other states. If you have any to add, you can share.

All the best!

Virginia Hospital Center. I think they offer a small discount. Call and ask
V Delivery: 4400
CS: 6400
Epidural: 1200
C section anaesthetic: 850
Dr Fee - Dr Tchabo (renowned Cameroonian Dr) - discounted self pay rate - 3000 for V, 3300 for CS

Ann Arundel Medical Center. They offer 2% discount lol
V Delivery: 5617
CS: 7787
Baby Acc Fee: 2000
Anesthesia: 1000 (estimate)
Dr Rogers: discounted self pay rate 3000 (this is the lowest priced OB that delivers there. You can find his contact on their site)

Inova Alexandria - Thanks @aye88 for the recommendation
This is the only hospital I know in DMV that offers significant discount for Self Pay.
Prices below are after discount

V Delivery: 3701.43
CS: 5292.54
Baby: 1290.06
Dr Ansera: 3000

Howard County hospital
Hospital bill $5413
Baby $880
OB doc $ 3300

Prince George's County hospital (they may have updated their prices, @karypops shared the latest prices which I have attached below
Dr A.G Chaudry
Doc's fee including all visits n tests $2514
Hospital: Mother
$3539.16, Baby $797.14
Total $6,850.30

You can google for the contact info of the various doctors and hospitals. Most do not accept email correspondence. Just phone and fax.

3 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by 0yin: 5:15pm On Mar 16, 2015
You are a blessing!!

Because I didn't see medicals on the visa waiver program site, just business and tourism.

All these documents will be presented at the POE, right?

lalavita:
If you are a UK Citizen, yes you can use ESTA visa waiver for childbirth as medical is listed as one of the accepted uses of the visa.
However, unlike B1/B2 visa, ESTA is completely non-extendible so if you end up requiring more than 90 days, you are totally stuck because overstaying on the visa waiver programme makes you automatically ineligible in the future (i.e. you will have to apply for a B1/B2 if you want to visit America in the future)

Short answer: If your trip is 90 days or less, use visa waiver; if you want to stay longer, apply for a B1/B2 - note that in either case, you will still require the necessary documents like evidence of sufficient funds, doctors plans etc...

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by drafrican: 5:36pm On Mar 16, 2015
lalavita:
For people interested in giving birth in Maryland/DC/VA, here is my list. I also added from other nairaland members who have shared their experiences.

As mentioned before, it is quite pricey compared to other states. If you have any to add, you can share.

All the best!

With the PG quote dint see peadiatrician or anesthetist
Virginia Hospital Center. I think they offer a small discount. Call and ask
V Delivery: 4400
CS: 6400
Epidural: 1200
C section anaesthetic: 850
Dr Fee - Dr Tchabo (renowned Cameroonian Dr) - discounted self pay rate - 3000 for V, 3300 for CS

Ann Arundel Medical Center. They offer 2% discount lol
V Delivery: 5617
CS: 7787
Baby Acc Fee: 2000
Anesthesia: 1000 (estimate)
Dr Rogers: discounted self pay rate 3000 (this is the lowest priced OB that delivers there. You can find his contact on their site)

Inova Alexandria - Thanks @aye88 for the recommendation
This is the only hospital I know in DMV that offers significant discount for Self Pay.
Prices below are after discount

V Delivery: 3701.43
CS: 5292.54
Baby: 1290.06
Dr Ansera: 3000

Howard County hospital
Hospital bill $5413
Baby $880
OB doc $ 3300

Prince George's County hospital (they may have updated their prices, @karypops shared the latest prices which I have attached below
Dr A.G Chaudry
Doc's fee including all visits n tests $2514
Hospital: Mother
$3539.16, Baby $797.14
Total $6,850.30

You can google for the contact info of the various doctors and hospitals. Most do not accept email correspondence. Just phone and fax.

With the Prince George quote didn't see anaesthetist or peadiatrician fees that's risky
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by drafrican: 5:58pm On Mar 16, 2015
@ hope spring donno how to reply mails or pm sowi what's ur email
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by AyaSho(f): 6:12pm On Mar 16, 2015
Pls has anyone travelled with Airfrance.
Please what is it like and how many luggage can one carry.
Please ur advice needed.
Thanks
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by Larondoo22: 6:24pm On Mar 16, 2015
I think I need to say a very Big Thank u to the person that suggest the use of a wheelchair at the airport,Infact its a saving grace for me all thru my journey with delta.i got to Houston ystaday around 5.30am.POE wasn't bad at all cos av prepared for them.i was asked for my doc.appointment letter n my cash.stamped me 6mths without any secondary inspection,my bag wasn't even checked,na so I carry all my elusi n all stuff inside Yankee.pls no forget to request for a wheelchair,na for my seat a dey answer all d officer questions,na fast track all the way as a no even allow to lift any of my bag.I guess I used my money sotee for delta grin

7 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by lalavita: 6:31pm On Mar 16, 2015
Yes medical is included.
http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/visit/visa-waiver-program.html
Click the Tourism part to see. It is listed under tourism.

If you choose to go forward with this, you should have your burden of proof for the POE. Doctor's appt, cash/proof of financial capability, overview of cost of treatment etc...

Also be confident and calm + have a good reason why you want to have your child in the states.

Remember, your trip cannot exceed 90 days!

Sure you will be fine though.

0yin:

You are a blessing!!

Because I didn't see medicals on the visa waiver program site, just business and tourism.

All these documents will be presented at the POE, right?

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by lalavita: 6:34pm On Mar 16, 2015
Please share your Dr and Hospital quote for Howard. I think I called them when I was looking and it was super expensive but maybe I got the wrong quote.

drafrican:

With the Prince George quote didn't see anaesthetist or peadiatrician fees that's risky
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by pattyreal(f): 6:45pm On Mar 16, 2015
Zozokuzo142:
[/b]

Pls which POE did you use to Phoenix??

Phoenix was ma POE. I used BA to london, london to phoenix. Wanted 2 avoid all dose funny POE's. I was d only black on board 2 phoenix.

2 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by 0yin: 6:49pm On Mar 16, 2015
90 days is well noted grin

I plan to spend a maximum of 2 months.

Thanks once again.

lalavita:
Yes medical is included.
http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/visit/visa-waiver-program.html
Click the Tourism part to see. It is listed under tourism.

If you choose to go forward with this, you should have your burden of proof for the POE. Doctor's appt, cash/proof of financial capability, overview of cost of treatment etc...

Also be confident and calm + have a good reason why you want to have your child in the states.

Remember, your trip cannot exceed 90 days!

Sure you will be fine though.

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by segbas(m): 7:24pm On Mar 16, 2015
Hello My people,

Please for those that has used or using Dr. Fagbohun and Oakbend, which of the InTown suites is closer to the both Dr.'s office and oakbend hospital. pls is urgent
thanks.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by Marylandmama: 7:42pm On Mar 16, 2015
[[color=#000099]quote author=lalavita post=31681768]Please share your Dr and Hospital quote for Howard. I think I called them when I was looking and it was super expensive but maybe I got the wrong quote.

[/quote][/color]

For Howard county hospital, the estimate they gave us was $8500 for V delivery and $10500 for Csection. We had to pay a deposit of $5000 before delivery.

Delivery was normal with no complications and I didn't use epidural which brought down our bill to $5413 and $880 for the baby. Dunno how much they charge for epidural and the anesthetic bill.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by oluwafunkenny: 8:18pm On Mar 16, 2015
@dere5,

good day, a friend just mentioned that Ben Taub hospital is cheap and that she will be going there. immediately I heard the name, I remembered it was mentioned here and was traced to you. please before she enters one chance, do you have any reservation for the hospital?

Anyone with information on this can please assist.

thanx

dere5:

If you were told to go to Ben Taub i am guessing you are in the Houston axis. So you should search for hospitals and doctors in that axis and tell them you are paying cash,so that you can get the self pay discount.
Dr Fagbohun and oakbend hospital is a good place to start.
On no account should you take anyform of medical aid o,except you and your wife dont have any plans of coming back to the Us ever again,because visa renewal would almost be impossible if you do that.
With a bit of research on the old and new thread,you should be ok.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by oluwafunkenny: 8:24pm On Mar 16, 2015
Please for those that have filled DS160 for family( husband, wife, 3kids and a foetus-lol), kindly explain whether the children will fill different forms or only the couple.
Also to schedule for their appointment, how will they go about it?

Thanking you in anticipation
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by segbas(m): 8:37pm On Mar 16, 2015
Hello My E-families

Please for those that has used or using Dr. Fagbohun and Oakbend, which of the InTown suites is closer to the both Dr.'s office and oakbend hospital. pls is urgent
thanks.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by toparie: 8:38pm On Mar 16, 2015
Thank you so very much smiley

feddy27:
@toparie, welcome on board and enjoy every bit of your pregnancy journey!
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by dere5: 8:44pm On Mar 16, 2015
demi2000:
Dear E-fam
N

@ demi2000
Na wah o,the cbp officer sabi you from 9ja,abi he was sent to frustrate your american birthing waka?
All these plenty wahola on top of say person won born for yankee and she get her money to pay bills,abi e pass so?
Any way,we thank God for a successful poe
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by FinanceFitness: 8:46pm On Mar 16, 2015
1 form for each member of the family excluding the foetus, that will be 5 DAS 160 forms.

oluwafunkenny:
Please for those that have filled DS160 for family( husband, wife, 3kids and a foetus-lol), kindly explain whether the children will fill different forms or only the couple.
Also to schedule for their appointment, how will they go about it?

Thanking you in anticipation
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by drafrican: 8:58pm On Mar 16, 2015
lalavita:
Please share your Dr and Hospital quote for Howard. I think I called them when I was looking and it was super expensive but maybe I got the wrong quote.

Mail this man fsfleur@huhosp.org
Include your doctors summary and he'll send you a quote
But check distance to where u are staying
I have his mobile
This is for Howard university not Howard county
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by drafrican: 9:06pm On Mar 16, 2015
N
Marylandmama:
[[color=#000099]quote author=lalavita post=31681768]Please share your Dr and Hospital quote for Howard. I think I called them when I was looking and it was super expensive but maybe I got the wrong quote.

[/color]

For Howard county hospital, the estimate they gave us was $8500 for V delivery and $10500 for Csection. We had to pay a deposit of $5000 before delivery.

Delivery was normal with no complications and I didn't use epidural which brought down our bill to $5413 and $880 for the baby. Dunno how much they charge for epidural and the anesthetic bill.
The thought of labour without epidural sends me peeing in my panties, all those poor women screaming and crying,I kinda made a mental note since school never to try it .....phew

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) ... (333)

Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 4 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 21 / Polish Student Visa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.