Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,485 members, 7,819,759 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:33 PM

Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 - Travel (45) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 (893509 Views)

Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 4 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 3 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (42) (43) (44) (45) (46) (47) (48) ... (333) (Go Down)

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by nefertitiram: 10:34am On Mar 26, 2015
Terese69:

Ok. Waiting for it, haven't received it yet.

I have re sent it. Pls let me knw when you get it

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by Terese69: 10:54am On Mar 26, 2015
nefertitiram:

Av replied grin

Been waiting o. Haven't received any message from you. At least not yet.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by smileymum: 11:32am On Mar 26, 2015
Good day mums and dads here.

I stumbled on this thread on Tuesday two days ago after I had a nasty experience during my visa interview in Lagos last week that has left me demoralised. Someone advised that I could ask some questions here so that I know how to understand if there was anything I did wrong. I have been silently reading and I must say you guys hold a lot of info here. Maybe I would have gotten some tips if I seen this platform earlier. I had a 7.30 am interview on Thursday the 19th of this month. I made it there on time, got on the queue with all my documents. Through a colleague who earlier had her baby in the US (same friend who advised I check this platform), I made up my mind to use Oakbend Hospital and Dr. Z. I paid the $400 dollars for registration, got the appointment and was booked for 3rd week in May. I also had the receipt for the payment and the email correspondence from the doc's office, about 3 of my bank statements and my husband's salary acct (with his consent and co-sponsorship letter). I also had a statement from my insurance coy and that of my husband that stated how much savings we had with them. Also included was my introduction letter from my office, payslips, tax slips, pension slips and hotel reservation. My budget sheet showing all my intended expenses including flight ticket (everything came to about 2.7m). The total balance in all my accts and that of my husband was abt 3.5m. We both have steady jobs and infact my husband just got promoted and his salary increases with effect from April. I attached the promotion letter too. My marriage certificate was also there. While on the queue I noticed that a particular blonde white lady was being rather harsh and kept refusing all applications. I was praying i wouldn't go to her. Unfortunately I went to her when it got to my turn. So here is how the interview went (I may not remember the entire discussion though) Pardon the length of this post please

Lady: Can I have your passport and confirmation slip (I pass it to her)
Lady: What do you want to do in the United States?
Me: I intend to have my baby while I am there (said this while smiling like pple say I overdo sometimes)
Lady: (Rolls her eyes and makes a side comment which I didn't hear) Why do you want to have your baby in the US?
Me: I want to be sure I am getting the best medical care and I can afford it based on the estimate I got from the doc and hospital
Lady: Do you work and where?
Me: Yes. I tell her where
Lady: How much? Me: I tell her.
Lady: Who is sponsoring your trip? Me: My husband and I
Lady: Does your husband work, where and how much does he earn? Me: I tell her where and how much he earns
Lady: Let me see the documents you have from the hospital
Me: Hands the appt letter, email, receipt to her, with the budget sheet in front. Immediately she saw the budget sheet with the amount for vaginal delivery there ($6.5k), she just rolled her eyes again and then,
Lady: (in a condescending tone) For a person who says she is intends getting good medical care, you obviously went for a very cheap hospital. I am from the US and I can tell you that there is no hospital in the US that charges less than 20,000 dollars for childbirth.
Me: I just weak but I continued smiling and said "That is the quote i got from the hospital and the doc and it is based on the maternity package for self paying patients.
Note: While we were speaking, she never looked at me once nor did she let me ever finish answering any of her questions. She never looked at the estimate I got from doc or hospital or even the mail and the receipt for registration pyt. She typed all through.
Lady: Anyway, why did you choose the hospital you choose and why texas? (she looks at the one of the docs and sees Oakbend) because I know this hospital is not a very good hospital. Pple complain about bad service there (as if it was her business. Did I complain to her?)
Me: Oh I choose the hospital because I googled them online and I interacted with the doc's office and got a a bill that was within my budget. And I also got some good reviews from some pple who have used the hospital.
Lady: Rolls her eyes again. Can I see your statements?
Me: Hand all the 3 bank statements, insurance statement
Immediately I give her the statements. She starts grumbling as if I did something wrong.
Lady: How many accounts are these?
Me: About 3 and I also have my husband bank statement
Lady: Rolls her eyes and frowns and says "Oh, I might just have to spend the whole day with you"
Me: I kept smiling even when she never looked at me once.
She kept typing all the figures she saw in the bank statements and then
Lady: I am sorry, you are not eligible at this time for a visa because you do not have sufficient funds based on the real cost of medical care in the US. Hands me the blue paper.
Me: I smile, take my passport and blue paper and say thank you.

I left dejected but I keep wondering if it was something I did or said. Should I not have given her the budget sheet together with the bill estimate from doc/hosp. Cos she didn't even look at those at all except when she tried to see the hosp name. She was downright mean and looked disgusted at every one who went to her window.
Dear house, please help with any useful advice cos I am thinking of reapplying again but don't know what else to do. Crediting my account with money will look suspicious and what will I even say when they ask me if any of my circumstances have changed. I could get my mum to co-sponsor me but do I have to go that far when I know that I and my husband can cover the bills? Do I reapply and go to Abuja for the interview?
Awaiting a response. Thanks.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by ojsimsim: 11:32am On Mar 26, 2015
kairi:

I came in on Friday via KLm, it was WONDERFUL! All the air hostesses kept stopping to ask if it was ok or needed anything, then they hung a KLM bib in front of my chair! Lol! The senior hostesses came and personally introduced themselves to me, to say that if I had any problems or needed anything, to let them know. Maybe they wanted to be sure I was not going to give birth on board lol!

Lagos to Amsterdam was nicer than Amsterdam to Us, but no issues at all and they did. It even ask for my fit to fly or ask me any questions when joining my connecting flight.

Thanks for sharing
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by olokings(m): 12:08pm On Mar 26, 2015
Terese69:

Hi Olokings,

Going to Dallas with emirates in July too but a few days before you. I have some information and quote on a doctor and hospital in Dallas. You can PM me for the details.

Please have you been able to get any information on Dallas drs/hospitals? I am still searching for options o just in case.

hello....
please my wife is due Sept.. 26th..
please any information on budget drs/hospitals in dallas will be greatly appreciated..arriving dallas FW intl airport 1st August, 2015 on emirates airline..
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by Newmum0615: 12:10pm On Mar 26, 2015
OMG!!! What a terrible experience. I am going for my own interview after the elections and I already feel tense just by reading your story. I do not feel there was anything you did wrong. The lady might have been biased already. I don't really have advise to give you. I haven't gone for mine yet. Let the experienced ones speak. God will favor you next time [quote author=smileymum post=32019372]Good day mums and dads here.

I stumbled on this thread on Tuesday two days ago after I had a nasty experience during my visa interview in Lagos last week that has left me demoralised. Someone advised that I could ask some questions here so that I know how to understand if there was anything I did wrong. I have been silently reading and I must say you guys hold a lot of info here. Maybe I would have gotten some tips if I seen this platform earlier. I had a 7.30 am interview on Thursday the 19th of this month. I made it there on time, got on the queue with all my documents. Through a colleague who earlier had her baby in the US (same friend who advised I check this platform), I made up my mind to use Oakbend Hospital and Dr. Z. I paid the $400 dollars for registration, got the appointment and was booked for 3rd week in May. I also had the receipt for the payment and the email correspondence from the doc's office, about 3 of my bank statements and my husband's salary acct (with his consent and co-sponsorship letter). I also had a statement from my insurance coy and that of my husband that stated how much savings we had with them. Also included was my introduction letter from my office, payslips, tax slips, pension slips and hotel reservation. My budget sheet showing all my intended expenses including flight ticket (everything came to about 2.7m). The total balance in all my accts and that of my husband was abt 3.5m. We both have steady jobs and infact my husband just got promoted and his salary increases with effect from April. I attached the promotion letter too. My marriage certificate was also there. While on the queue I noticed that a particular blonde white lady was being rather harsh and kept refusing all applications. I was praying i wouldn't go to her. Unfortunately I went to her when it got to my turn. So here is how the interview went (I may not remember the entire discussion though) Pardon the length of this post please [quote]
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by olokings(m): 12:11pm On Mar 26, 2015
nefertitiram:

Hi Terese,
When are you due?

hello... please carry me along with info on drs/hospitals in dallas.
due in sept 26th.. flight ariving 1st aug on emirates airline..dallas FW intl
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by Terese69: 12:24pm On Mar 26, 2015
olokings:

hello....
please any information on budget drs/hospitals in dallas will be greatly appreciated..arriving dallas FW intl airport 1st August, 2015 on emirates airline..

I have replied you.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by Terese69: 12:28pm On Mar 26, 2015
olokings:

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by dere5: 12:34pm On Mar 26, 2015
smileymum:

I stumbled on this thread on Tuesday two days ago after I had a nasty experience during my visa interview in Lagos last week that has left me demoralised. Someone advised that I could ask some questions here so that I know how to understand if there was anything I did wrong. I have been silently reading and I must say you guys hold a lot of info here.

I cant see anything you did wrong. At times some people are just unfortunate to meet some very nasty Visa officers,which was your case. I would advice you to get another hospital and doctor quote / correspondence around that same amount,maybe MIHS or some other hospital & doctor and reapply to Abuja this time around. And if they ask you what has changed,you tell them that you have a new hospital.I have read similar cases on this thread,and some even had to reapply up to 3times before they got the visa,but yours wont be like that by Gods grace. I wish you all the best
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by kairi: 12:37pm On Mar 26, 2015
Newmum15:
Congratulations on your successful entry.Pls I'm a July mum to be and I'm looking at coming to Atlanta.Still don't have a doctor or hospital in mind.Pls can you help with that?Then I'd like to know if you bought your ticket via online agent or from KLM directly.Pls ma'am I'm really banking on this information.Thank you so much.

First, bought my ticket via an online site - kayak.com, it took me to the Kim site and was even cheaper than wakanow. For hospital, I am going with Northside, it's the cheapest quote I got for self pay - about $3,550 if you pay within 30 days of delivery. As for doctor, I am using alliance obgyn and they doctors are great, but I am finding them a bit expensive, still going to discuss with them sha,methought I don't really think I should change at this stage in pregnancy 36 weeks now). Other good hospitals are the famous Gwinnett, Emory Midtown and Kennestone, sorry I don't have their prices.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by Terese69: 12:40pm On Mar 26, 2015
olokings:

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by Terese69: 12:43pm On Mar 26, 2015
nefertitiram:

I have re sent it. Pls let me knw when you get it

Still haven't received anything sad
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by olokings(m): 12:56pm On Mar 26, 2015
olokings:

hello....

thanks terese69.
i ve gotten ur pm and replied accordingly.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by Newmum15: 1:35pm On Mar 26, 2015
kairi:

First, bought my ticket via an online site - kayak.com, it took me to the Kim site and was even cheaper than wakanow. For hospital, I am going with Northside, it's the cheapest quote I got for self pay - about $3,550 if you pay within 30 days of delivery. As for doctor, I am using alliance obgyn and they doctors are great, but I am finding them a bit expensive, still going to discuss with them sha,methought I don't really think I should change at this stage in pregnancy 36 weeks now). Other good hospitals are the famous Gwinnett, Emory Midtown and Kennestone, sorry I don't have their prices.
Thank you so much for this.i would try to reach these other hospitals too.Thanks a lot
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by Newmum15: 2:25pm On Mar 26, 2015
kairi:

i'm trying to send you an email but I can't seem to do that.Just followed you tho.Pls I would like to ask you other questions.Thanks a lot
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by 9jabiggurl: 2:30pm On Mar 26, 2015
Terese69:

Thanks babe. I'm so happy and feel so relieved. Couldn't sleep last night o. I even dreamt that I made a mistake on my budget sheet and I woke up to realise that I actually did... lol... The fear of rejection!

lol...the fear of rejection is the beginning of port of entry!!!!
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by k711(f): 3:08pm On Mar 26, 2015
Hello nairalanders, just got to elpaso last night and been so tired since then. I'm lodged at intown suites for now. Pls I need to see naija mamas around biko. I feel like a lost kid here.
Meanwhile came in thru Newyork and immigration was wonderful. Even will my very big belle no one bothered me. It was a smooth sail.
Please naija mamas in intown suites I'm in room 108 o. Make una come see me on or give me ur room numbers. I need a lot of advise right now.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by k711(f): 3:37pm On Mar 26, 2015
k711:
Hello nairalanders, just got to elpaso last night and been so tired since then. I'm lodged at intown suites for now. Pls I need to see naija mamas around biko. I feel like a lost kid here.
Meanwhile came in thru Newyork and immigration was wonderful. Even will my very big belle no one bothered me. It was a smooth sail.
Please naija mamas in intown suites I'm in room 108 o. Make una come see me on or give me ur room numbers. I need a lot of advise right now.
Sorry guys. I'm in room 128 not 108.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by DeeandGLady: 5:24pm On Mar 26, 2015
smileymum:

I stumbled on this thread on Tuesday two days ago after I had a nasty experience during my visa interview in Lagos last week that has left me demoralised. Someone advised that I could ask some questions here so that I know how to understand if there was anything I did wrong. I have been silently reading and I must say you guys hold a lot of info here. Maybe I would have gotten some tips if I seen this platform earlier. I had a 7.30 am interview on Thursday the 19th of this month. I made it there on time, got on the queue with all my documents. Through a colleague

My dear, you did nothing wrong. You just met with the wrong person. My advice, get another hospital and doctor's quote/correspondence around the same amount you have(if possible 2)(you can use MIHS and WHMC) you might not need to get an appointment, stick to what you have since you have already made some commitments so you can let the VO know you have made more research and the quotes are close. Pray and trust God and then re-apply. Was gonna say why have so many bank (3 right?) accounts, some times that annoys VO and to them something might be fishy. My thinking Can you have your cash in just one of your accounts and also go with your husbands account statement then you have 2 account statements with all your total cash in it to present. But then again am thinking would they ask why you moved cash recently, what would you answer (the last VO wasn't too happy of your many account statements so you decided to move your cash to one account as the fund will show that anyway). Please ask the house if you could do that or still go with all your account statements.

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by Amother4life: 5:43pm On Mar 26, 2015
Lady[/b]: Can I have your passport and confirmation slip (I pass it to her)
Me: I intend to have my baby while I am

You did everything right. The lady obviously woke up on the wrong side of the bed. I guess you should have said good morning to her just to make her know how rude and condescending she was. Get a new quote and do not change the amounts in the accounts(it will look too desperate and suspicious)and reapply in Abuja. I pray you get a man that has his head screwed on right. Good luck
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by smileymum: 5:51pm On Mar 26, 2015
I will get 2 new quotes but I may not use them cos I am already committed in terms of the registration fee i paid. However I am wondering if I should get my mum to act as a sponsor even though I do not intend to take money from her.
Amother4life:
Lady[/b]: Can I have your passport and confirmation slip (I pass it to her)
Me: I intend to have my baby while I am

You did everything right. The lady obviously woke up on the wrong side of the bed. I guess you should have said good morning to her just to make her know how rude and condescending she was. Get a new quote and do not change the amounts in the accounts(it will look too desperate and suspicious)and reapply in Abuja. I pray you get a man that has his head screwed on right. Good luck
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by smileymum: 5:53pm On Mar 26, 2015
That was what I thought too. If I move the money into one account, how will they know the source? Won't they think I am building my balance. Except maybe I take the same statements just in case I need to prove that I had it before. Thanks anyway.
DeeandGLady:

My dear, you did nothing wrong. You just met with the wrong person. My advice, get another hospital and doctor's quote/correspondence around the same amount you have(if possible 2)(you can use MIHS and WHMC) you might not need to get an appointment, stick to what you have since you have already made some commitments so you can let the VO know you have made more research and the quotes are close. Pray and trust God and then re-apply. Was gonna say why have so many bank (3 right?) accounts, some times that annoys VO and to them something might be fishy. My thinking Can you have your cash in just one of your accounts and also go with your husbands account statement then you have 2 account statements with all your total cash in it to present. But then again am thinking would they ask why you moved cash recently, what would you answer (the last VO wasn't too happy of your many account statements so you decided to move your cash to one account as the fund will show that anyway). Please ask the house if you could do that or still go with all your account statements.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by Terese69: 6:44pm On Mar 26, 2015
olokings:

hello....

Sorry o, I just received failure delivery notifications for all the replies I sent to your work email address. Please send me an email from your personal email address so I can resend my all my replies in case you haven't been getting them.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by Amother4life: 6:54pm On Mar 26, 2015
smileymum:
I will get 2 new quotes but I may not use them cos I am already committed in terms of the registration fee i paid. However I am wondering if I should get my mum to act as a sponsor even though I do not intend to take money from her.
When is your edd? I know there is a 90days wait period before you are able to reapply. Anyways, just Prepare for your interview by being able to clearly and concisely describe your intentions. most times Vo's make up their minds within the first 3mins of meeting an applicant.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by femoric9: 7:08pm On Mar 26, 2015
Please House, i have a Sister having a problem. She had a 2yrs visitor's visa with her husband that was got early 2014 and she is now 32weeks pregnant and decided to use d opportunity to give birth in d USA since they can both afford it. But unfortunately, i did not know what she said wrong, at d USA immigration today, her i-90 was cleared for just 2weeks with NO EXTENSION & NO ADJUSTMENT. She had already booked a return ticket for june with d hope that she will put to bed in d US in may. PLS, WMIS THERE ANY SOLUTION AND WHAT CAN U ADVISE ?
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by smileymum: 7:08pm On Mar 26, 2015
cry I don't have 90 days. I am due 2nd week in June. I need to travel at least 2nd week of May. Will I be refused based on not waiting till 90 days? I am wondering that they should know that I have no control over the timing of my trip cos the baby must come anyway. Mehn, why is this thing so hard? cry
Amother4life:

When is your edd? I know there is a 90days wait period before you are able to reapply. Anyways, just Prepare for your interview by being able to clearly and concisely describe your intentions. most times Vo's make up their minds within the first 3mins of meeting an applicant.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by smileymum: 7:14pm On Mar 26, 2015
@Phema
Top of the day to you dear. Please I need info on MIHS services. I just narrated my ordeal at the hands of a visa officer during my visa interview last week and I am considering arming myself with another hospital estimate before I reapply. Please can you give me details on how to get through to them? I have gone to their website and I printed out the package for non-residents. Looks attractive. Is there any other thing I need to get. Do I need to get appointment from them? Please help with any info you might have that will help me. Cos I intend to prove to them that hospitals actually have packages that can be affordable and not necessarily within the $20k range.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by Terese69: 7:19pm On Mar 26, 2015
smileymum:

I stumbled on this thread on Tuesday two days ago after I had a nasty experience during my visa interview in Lagos last week that has left me demoralised.

Hi Smileymum,

I'm sorry to hear about your ordeal. I can only imagine how you feel. But thank God you can reapply. I don't really know much about reapplication but in addition to all @DeeandGLady said, I think for a budget of 2.7m, having a total account balance of 3.5m may not have gone down well with the VO. I mean what if there is an emergency of any sort? And then again she may have thought what are you guys coming back to after having your baby? Perhaps she also thought you micro budgeted. You know there's a differnce between "I can pay for it" and "I can afford it". Perhaps she wasnt convinced that you could honestly afford it without breaking the bank.

You mentioned your mum being able to sponsor you. So what you can do is get her to borrow you some money, make her pay it into one of the accounts that you won't be presenting a statement for on your next interview, and then you can transfer the money to yourself so that way it shows that it came from you. I think you should be prepared to show that you have enough even after paying the deduction of your prospective medical bill. Not every VO cares about that, but you have to be prepared just in case.

You may also want to take a correspondence from your doctor or hospital that clearly states the estimated cost of services to back up your budget sheet so the VO can see that you aren't making the figures up.

Please note that I am not an expert/guru on this matter, these are just my personal opinions. I may be wrong.

Good luck. I hope you get a secomd chance and thag hings work out for you then.

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by MrsBee: 7:19pm On Mar 26, 2015
Amother4life:

I don't think she needs to wait for 90 days before reapplying. I reapplied about 6 weeks after my first application was denied and i got the visa.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by MrsBee: 7:24pm On Mar 26, 2015
smileymum:
@Phema
Top of the day to you dear. Please I need info on MIHS services. I just narrated my ordeal at the hands of a visa officer during my visa interview last week and I am considering arming myself with another hospital estimate before I reapply. Please can you give me details on how to get through to them? I have gone to their website and I printed out the package for non-residents. Looks attractive. Is there any other thing I need to get. Do I need to get appointment from them? Please help with any info you might have that will help me. Cos I intend to prove to them that hospitals actually have packages that can be affordable and not necessarily within the $20k range.
You can call MIHS Women Services on 00916023445407 to book an appointment. Ask nicely for the person to send you an email confirmation.

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by femoric9: 7:36pm On Mar 26, 2015
femoric9:
Please House, i have a Sister having a problem. She had a 2yrs visitor's visa with her husband that was got early 2014 and she is now 32weeks pregnant and decided to use d opportunity to give birth in d USA since they can both afford it. But unfortunately, i did not know what she said wrong, at d USA immigration today, her i-90 was cleared for just 2weeks with NO EXTENSION & NO ADJUSTMENT. She had already booked a return ticket for june with d hope that she will put to bed in d US in may. PLS, WMIS THERE ANY SOLUTION AND WHAT CAN U ADVISE ?

Pls this just happened now and she is demoralised, any advice pls. I am d USA and she intend to stay with me for d period.

(1) (2) (3) ... (42) (43) (44) (45) (46) (47) (48) ... (333)

Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 4 / Polish Student Visa / Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program- Connect Here Part 5

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 109
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.