Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,479 members, 7,816,131 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:10 AM

Chimamanda Adichie Blasts Elnathan John, A Writer From Kaduna In New Interview - Literature (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Chimamanda Adichie Blasts Elnathan John, A Writer From Kaduna In New Interview (39286 Views)

Chimamanda Adichie's Make-Up Advert On London Billboard (Photo) / Chimamanda Adichie Makes Vanity Fair List Of International Best Dressed / Chimamanda Adichie And Her Husband Welcomed A Daughter (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Blasts Elnathan John, A Writer From Kaduna In New Interview by TheSonOfMark(m): 9:22am On Mar 22, 2015
Vickybee:

See painment. grin

Where did I wrote [/b]that I have qualm with men on this thread?

FYI, I'm still in 200level and Chimamanda father also sponsored her abroad. undecided

[b]A 200 level student whose command of the English language is this poor? How on God's green earth were you offered admission?
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Blasts Elnathan John, A Writer From Kaduna In New Interview by TheSonOfMark(m): 9:28am On Mar 22, 2015
Ishilove:

Seriously?

These big big grammar is completely unnecessary angry

Well, ma'am, this is the way I type. I know it makes people erroneously assume I'm showing off but with time they get used to it.

P.S: What's the point of learning new words when it doesn't reflect in one's typo-eloquence?

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Blasts Elnathan John, A Writer From Kaduna In New Interview by elobyobi: 9:32am On Mar 22, 2015
The painful part of all this is that Chimamanda goes home every night to cook for her husband a wonderful dinner, and he makes sweet love to her thereafter. While other women in third-world Nigeria whose situation she only relates to by proxy, go about assuming they can, and must, stand up to every man they come across. I believe in equality, but I also believe in humility. From both sexes. A balance between contentment and the drive for self-improvement and empowerment. Adichie has achieved this balance in her professional and personal (risky assumption by the way, who knows what goes on in the husband's mind?) life, but keeps delivering a one-sided message to other women. When people say "religion is the opium of the masses" the often forget that religion was birthed and is sustained by literature. And stalwarts of literature have the same powers and responsibilities as people of the cloth - to create balance. That is one thing Chimamanda has failed in.
And woe unto the women that blindly follow this new ideology, this movement, this Chimamandism. One thing remains true: you can't cheat nature.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Blasts Elnathan John, A Writer From Kaduna In New Interview by Nobody: 9:32am On Mar 22, 2015
almostFamous:
Lol
happy birthday
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Blasts Elnathan John, A Writer From Kaduna In New Interview by Davidegede: 9:32am On Mar 22, 2015
Chimamanda dont mind d hater 'Elnathan' & d haters here,they r jealous of u.
They dont know u hail frm d land of d Azikiwe, d Ikemba, d Nnaji, d Chikaobi, d Achebe,d Emeagwali,d me,etc. Elnathan being ur student is ur boy,u were right & dont feel bad or apologetic about it,any1 angry about it should rather grow dat boy in2 a man. ...nonsense
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Blasts Elnathan John, A Writer From Kaduna In New Interview by justi4jesu(f): 9:35am On Mar 22, 2015
Ishilove:

Seriously?

These big big grammar is completely unnecessary angry

Lwkmh grin grin grin grin make i carry my dictionary kaii
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Blasts Elnathan John, A Writer From Kaduna In New Interview by SpencerLewis(m): 9:38am On Mar 22, 2015
FrancisTony:

What's this one saying? undecided
Don't mind this TANoid big big fool. What is the biz b/w the clueless one and this adorable beautiful Igbo Nwanyi?
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Blasts Elnathan John, A Writer From Kaduna In New Interview by Nobody: 9:39am On Mar 22, 2015
hifaif:

Where did I WRITE, not WROTE.

Chimamanda's father, not Chimamanda father.

I have "a" qualm or I have qualms, not, I have qualm sad
I was typing fast and busy as of that time.

Thanks
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Blasts Elnathan John, A Writer From Kaduna In New Interview by TheSonOfMark(m): 9:40am On Mar 22, 2015
phoinix:

My friend, infamous can not quality ubiquity, its not all about consuming a dictionary, but about having a clear understanding of words and how they work together.

Really? Now let this son of Mark school you:
`Infamous' means ` being popular for a negative trait'.

'Ubiquity' means `being profoundly sighted everywhere'.

Corruption is an infamous ubiquity amongst Nigerians. Being silly and making unintelligent comments is an infamous ubiquity amongst Nairaland females.

You see? You ended up as the butt of your own snide remarks.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Blasts Elnathan John, A Writer From Kaduna In New Interview by SpencerLewis(m): 9:44am On Mar 22, 2015
Vickybee:

Other way round.

You guys aren't in a class with my handbag not to talk about breaking my heart. undecided
Keep pretending as if u don't care about men until u hit 35 and above without any. U become sober, religious, prayerful/fasting and and a regular member of single/married church sessions.
We know ur type. Chimamanda is happily married now if u don't know
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Blasts Elnathan John, A Writer From Kaduna In New Interview by SpencerLewis(m): 9:45am On Mar 22, 2015
tchidi:
First of all, Elnathan can do no wrong in my eyes...

Chimamanda, be careful!
Is the aboki ur new boyfriend? Just asking.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Blasts Elnathan John, A Writer From Kaduna In New Interview by Nobody: 9:51am On Mar 22, 2015
SpencerLewis:

Keep pretending as if u don't care about men until u hit 35 and above without any. U become sober, religious, prayerful/fasting and and a regular member of single/married church sessions.
We know ur type. Chimamanda is happily married now if u don't know
Who has marriage helped? Mtcheew
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Blasts Elnathan John, A Writer From Kaduna In New Interview by elbinmanny(m): 9:56am On Mar 22, 2015
Vickybee:
My big time role model.

One, out of many things that's synonymous with both of us is that we fear no man. tongue
as u small like that for your profile grin
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Blasts Elnathan John, A Writer From Kaduna In New Interview by freecocoa(f): 10:33am On Mar 22, 2015
Vickybee:

What of females that have been enduring insults thrown to them by their oga? undecided
How does this relate to my post?
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Blasts Elnathan John, A Writer From Kaduna In New Interview by Ishilove: 11:11am On Mar 22, 2015
hifaif:

You are the philistine. Adichie is good but not to be compared with the masters yet.

Personally, I find Bulawayo and KS Sello Duiker far better than she is.
Your opinion, which you're entitled to
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Blasts Elnathan John, A Writer From Kaduna In New Interview by Ishilove: 11:12am On Mar 22, 2015
TheSonOfMark:

Well, ma'am, this is the way I type. I know it makes people erroneously assume I'm showing off but with time they get used to it.

P.S: What's the point of learning new words when it doesn't reflect in one's typo-eloquence?

Larrrysun!! Come and meet your brother o!!!
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Blasts Elnathan John, A Writer From Kaduna In New Interview by Nobody: 11:36am On Mar 22, 2015
Ishilove:

Your opinion, which you're entitled to

Yes, my opinion.

But it is an insult to compare her with the masters. Adichie still struggles in the leagues of writers like Kan and co. She is good but she has more of luck working with very renowned agents unlike people like Babatunde and others. Adichie has never won the Caine prize. She is lucky to be with the right people. She would easily struggle in literary contests with folks like Bulawayo and Omotoso for instance.

It is an insult to compare her with Soyinka, Achebe and Ekwensi. Maybe one day she might be as good. But presently, she is nowhere near their league.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Blasts Elnathan John, A Writer From Kaduna In New Interview by repogirl(f): 11:44am On Mar 22, 2015
elobyobi:
The painful part of all this is that Chimamanda goes home every night to cook for her husband a wonderful dinner, and he makes sweet love to her thereafter. While other women in third-world Nigeria whose situation she only relates to by proxy, go about assuming they can, and must, stand up to every man they come across. I believe in equality, but I also believe in humility. From both sexes. A balance between contentment and the drive for self-improvement and empowerment. Adichie has achieved this balance in her professional and personal (risky assumption by the way, who knows what goes on in the husband's mind?) life, but keeps delivering a one-sided message to other women. When people say "religion is the opium of the masses" the often forget that religion was birthed and is sustained by literature. And stalwarts of literature have the same powers and responsibilities as people of the cloth - to create balance. That is one thing Chimamanda has failed in.
And woe unto the women that blindly follow this new ideology, this movement, this Chimamandism. One thing remains true: you can't cheat nature.
I'm guessing you live in the same house with her to know that she cooks for.her hubby and they make love later.

What makes you believe she doesn't practice what she goes on about all the time? Are you saying she is a fraud? What gives you the right to even make this sort of conclusion on her behalf?

Chimamanda to me always comes off as an 'I too know', she forms an opinion of something and that's the right thing, anything else is wrong. She is quick to speak without considering what she says might come off as offensive or not entirely truthful or properly researched.

She is a hopeless cynic and proud also, probably because of her achievements, she needs to take care with her approach and most importantly her words and should just stop being a 'know it all' already.

Elnathan might have been wrong but she sort of pushed him to it, I don't care how she explains it here but she had it coming. I read that whole article on her disagreement with the caine's writers prize thingy and could clearly see her pride and cynicism in it's full glory.

Anyway, why do I care sef?

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Blasts Elnathan John, A Writer From Kaduna In New Interview by Nobody: 11:46am On Mar 22, 2015
TheSonOfMark:

A 200 level student whose command of the English language is this poor? How on God's green earth were you offered admission?

She got it through the back door. Our education system is in a shambles.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Blasts Elnathan John, A Writer From Kaduna In New Interview by laplace12(m): 12:04pm On Mar 22, 2015
Joe82834:

Tanx.good one.probably be doing a name swap or remodelling soon.lol. pls which course did u study

I studied mechanical engineering.

And you?
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Blasts Elnathan John, A Writer From Kaduna In New Interview by Nobody: 12:14pm On Mar 22, 2015
hifaif:

She got it through the back door. Our education system is in a shambles.
Yes, I got it through the back door.
English Language must be the sole requirement for getting admission and everybody is perfect devoid of an error.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Blasts Elnathan John, A Writer From Kaduna In New Interview by theSpark(m): 12:18pm On Mar 22, 2015
Ishilove:

You're a philistine angry

I'm not oh.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Blasts Elnathan John, A Writer From Kaduna In New Interview by Tinyemeka(m): 12:22pm On Mar 22, 2015
Vickybee:

Other way round.

You guys aren't in a class with my handbag not to talk about breaking my heart. undecided

Talk true: How did the handbag come about?
Money from your dad or your mum? smiley
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Blasts Elnathan John, A Writer From Kaduna In New Interview by Nobody: 12:33pm On Mar 22, 2015
repogirl:
I'm guessing you live in the same house with her to know that she cooks for.her hubby and they make love later.

What makes you believe she doesn't practice what she goes on about all the time? Are you saying she is a fraud? What gives you the right to even make this sort of conclusion on her behalf?

Chimamanda to me always comes off as an 'I too know', she forms an opinion of something and that's the right thing, anything else is wrong. She is quick to speak without considering what she says might come off as offensive or not entirely truthful or properly researched.

She is a hopeless cynic and proud also, probably because of her achievements, she needs to take care with her approach and most importantly her words and should just stop being a 'know it all' already.

Elnathan might have been wrong but she sort of pushed him to it, I don't care how she explains it here but she had it coming. I read that whole article on her disagreement with the caine's writers prize thingy and could clearly see her pride and cynicism in it's full glory.

Anyway, why do I care sef?

She didn't merely disagree with the Caine Prize thingy, she demeaned it. Her pettiness is just so irritating.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Blasts Elnathan John, A Writer From Kaduna In New Interview by theSpark(m): 12:34pm On Mar 22, 2015
eyinjuege:

She's actually quite really really good. The way she plays with words keeps one enthralled.
She's also proven herself to the world. She can hold her own.

She's actually a gifted writer no doubt and she's an accomplished writer but she in my opinion isn't the best thing to come out of Nigeria within the last two decades as many would believe. Because of her feminist views it is hard to say Ms Adichie is not as special as she thinks without people calling you names.

Even among women activists I prefer Buchi Emecheta to Ms Adichie
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Blasts Elnathan John, A Writer From Kaduna In New Interview by patwilly(m): 12:34pm On Mar 22, 2015
hifaif:

Where did I WRITE, not WROTE.

Chimamanda's father, not Chimamanda father.

I have "a" qualm or I have qualms, not, I have qualm sad
hahahahahha. You forget you're talking to a sophomore student who probably still has a GST course she failed to write. Foolish girl. I wanted to respond to her but then I saw she wasn't quite as intelligent as I pegged her initially. Did you detect the whiny little girl tone in her last response before you quoted her? lil prissy obviously needs to get a proper education first.lol.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Blasts Elnathan John, A Writer From Kaduna In New Interview by DonDiego(m): 12:40pm On Mar 22, 2015
Caine Prize? That overrated prize for unknown African writers alone? Some folks are pretty funny. Adichie has long become bigger than the Caine prize. Even Caine prize winners like Kenya's Wainana today dismisses it as a tokenism to African writing by fellows with ulterior motives. Adichie books have been endlessly shortlisted for the more prestigious Orange Prize which is open to women wtiters from all over the world. Half of A Yellow won the Orange. Americanah won the American Book Critics Circle award, a very prestigious award, if ever there was one. Same book was among the New York Times' 10 Best Books of 2013. Those kind of recognitions are usually not granted to wishy-washy writing, no matter how influential your literary agent may be. Adichie is definitely the biggest thing among her contemporaries in African writing. No amount of bellyaching can take that from her. And to rub further salt to the injuries of those who seek to diminish her inflience and genius, she seems even ready to further explode with more record making works. That must rankle to a few sensibilities out there. My sympathies.
hifaif:

Yes, my opinion.

But it is an insult to compare her with the masters. Adichie still struggles in the leagues of writers like Kan and co. She is good but she has more of luck working with very renowned agents unlike people like Babatunde and others. Adichie has never won the Caine prize. She is lucky to be with the right people. She would easily struggle in literary contests with folks like Bulawayo and Omotoso for instance.

It is an insult to compare her with Soyinka, Achebe and Ekwensi. Maybe one day she might be as good. But presently, she is nowhere near their league.

3 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Blasts Elnathan John, A Writer From Kaduna In New Interview by Nobody: 12:43pm On Mar 22, 2015
patwilly:

hahahahahha. You forget you're talking to a sophomore student who probably still has a GST course she failed to write. Foolish girl. I wanted to respond to her but then I saw she wasn't quite as intelligent as I pegged her initially. Did you detect the whiny little girl tone in her last response before you quoted her? lil prissy obviously needs to get a proper education first.lol.

grin She assumes she is a feminist and thinks she must always stand up to a man even when not necessary. She is all over the place ignorantly preaching misandry instead of studying her Brighter Grammar.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Blasts Elnathan John, A Writer From Kaduna In New Interview by Nobody: 12:47pm On Mar 22, 2015
patwilly:

First of all, get to understand that you don't talk online but write or type, self-acclaimed intelligentia.

And lastly, he didn't forget but forgot.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Blasts Elnathan John, A Writer From Kaduna In New Interview by patwilly(m): 12:49pm On Mar 22, 2015
freecocoa:
How does this relate to my post?
That girl us just $tupid I tell you ya. Childish ignoramus.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 85th Birthday: 10 Things You Didn’t Know About Him / "365": A Novelette / A Girl Called Fib & The Axe Of Fury

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.