Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,636 members, 7,820,233 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:54 AM

Chimamanda Adichie Blasts Elnathan John, A Writer From Kaduna In New Interview - Literature (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Chimamanda Adichie Blasts Elnathan John, A Writer From Kaduna In New Interview (39369 Views)

Chimamanda Adichie's Make-Up Advert On London Billboard (Photo) / Chimamanda Adichie Makes Vanity Fair List Of International Best Dressed / Chimamanda Adichie And Her Husband Welcomed A Daughter (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Blasts Elnathan John, A Writer From Kaduna In New Interview by Nobody: 12:54pm On Mar 22, 2015
DonDiego:
Caine Prize? That overrated prize for unknown African writers alone? Some folks are pretty funny. Adichie has long become bigger than the Caine prize. Even Caine prize winners like Kenya's Wainana today dismisses it as a tokenism to African writing by fellows with ulterior motives. Adichie books have been endlessly shortlisted for the more prestigious Orange Prize which is open to women wtiters from all over the world. Half of A Yellow won the Orange. Americanah won the American Book Critics Circle award, a very prestigious award, if ever there was one. Same book was among the New York Times' 10 Best Books of 2013. Those kind of recognitions are usually not granted to wishy-washy writing, no matter how influential your literary agent may be. Adichie is definitely the biggest thing among her contemporaries in African writing. No amount of bellyaching can take that from her. And to rub further salt to the injuries of those who seek to diminish her inflience and genius, she seems even ready to further explode with more record making works. That must rankle to a few sensibilities out there. My sympathies.

Until her big break, the Caine Prize frustrated her with a mere nomination. We know why she is bitter. How can you dismiss works that you have not even read just because they were on the shortlist of the Caine Prize? Fine, she probably went back and did well for herself with good connections, but the fact remains that while she was unknown, she couldn't win anything as an upcoming writer because she was just good but not excellent.

She remains petty and can't even compete with Bulawayo who looks much more promising and less petty and vain
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Blasts Elnathan John, A Writer From Kaduna In New Interview by Nobody: 12:54pm On Mar 22, 2015
patwilly:

That girl us just $tupid I tell you ya. Childish ignoramus.
Are you recto-cranially inverted? tongue

Humanoid toad.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Blasts Elnathan John, A Writer From Kaduna In New Interview by Nobody: 1:07pm On Mar 22, 2015
Vickybee:

First of all, get to understand that you don't talk online but write or type, self-acclaimed intelligentia.

And lastly, he didn't forget but forgot.

There is nothing wrong with FORGET as used in the sentence, even technically. It is a Present Simple
tense. Moreover, you can interchange tenses in standard English.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Blasts Elnathan John, A Writer From Kaduna In New Interview by DonDiego(m): 1:20pm On Mar 22, 2015
Your logic is convoluted, to say the least. So Adichie is bitter because she failed to win the Caine prize. Was Binyavinga Wainahna also bitter for winning too? You keep repeating Bulawayo's name mainly because of her lone output so far. Now, lets be fair. The lady is a literary stylist and We Have No Names is an excellent piece of work. But the litmus test is what she comes up with next. One book wonder authors are all well known to us including Ralph Ellson and Harper Lee. Adichie is not a one book wonder author. If anything, she seems to mature and get better with each newer offering. The nature and diversity of Adichie's ouvre is such that 50 to 100 years hence, she is the one writer among the lot today in Africa whose work will still be seriously studied. And this talk about her having had a break sounds a bit envious as far as I can see. If you read Part 1 & 2 of her lengthy interview with Olisa.tv you'd have noticed that whatever "break" that is today being ascribed to her was essentially reward for her hardwork, persistence and never-say-never mentality. Adichie is not a lazy writer and eventually even the dilgent does get just reward for their efforts.
hifaif:

Until her big break, the Caine Prize frustrated her with a mere nomination. We know why she is bitter. How can you dismiss works that you have not even read just because they were on the shortlist of the Caine Prize? Fine, she probably went back and did well for herself with good connections, but the fact remains that while she was unknown, she couldn't win anything as an upcoming writer because she was just good but not excellent.

She remains petty and can't even compete with Bulawayo who looks much more promising and less petty and vain

2 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Blasts Elnathan John, A Writer From Kaduna In New Interview by freecocoa(f): 1:23pm On Mar 22, 2015
Vickybee:

Are you recto-cranially inverted? tongue

Humanoid toad.
I don't know what your idea of feminism is, but it's certainly not going about the whole place being unnecessarily overly arrogant/rude to men, feminism is not about hating men.

I'm a feminist but that doesn't mean I support everything women, not when it's wrong. Feminism is equality for ALL, true the movement was originally founded to fight for the rights of women because women were being marginalized, the essence of it all is to establish that both sexes are equal, now if this is the case, I don't understand why you are acting the way you are, using feminism as a cover, that's just totally misguided and very unattractive.

Chimamanda who is supposed to know this, seems to be losing focus, he knelt down to greet her doesn't give her the right to be condescending, especially because it goes against what she is meant to stand for. I didn't quote you to pick a fight but when I read posts like yours and that of other supposed feminists on here, I get why many people see the idea as a joke, so please do well to review what you believe so much in, thanks.

2 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Blasts Elnathan John, A Writer From Kaduna In New Interview by Nobody: 1:32pm On Mar 22, 2015
DonDiego:
Your logic is convoluted, to say the least. So Adichie is bitter because she failed to win the Caine prize. Was Binyavinga Wainahna also bitter for winning too? You keep repeating Bulawayo's name mainly because of her lone output so far. Now, lets be fair. The lady is a literary stylist and We Have No Names is an excellent piece of work. But the litmus test is what she comes up with next. One book wonder authors are all well known to us including Ralph Ellson and Harper Lee. Adichie is not a one book wonder author. If anything, she seems to mature and get better with each newer offering. The nature and diversity of Adichie's ouvre is such that 50 to 100 years hence, she is the one writer among the lot today in Africa whose work will still be seriously studied. And this talk about her having had a break sounds a bit envious as far as I can see. If you read Part 1 & 2 of her lengthy interview with Olisa.tv you'd have noticed that whatever "break" that is today being ascribed to her was essentially reward for her hardwork, persistence and never-say-never mentality. Adichie is not a lazy writer and eventually even the dilgent does get just reward for their efforts.

All this jargon isn't necessary. You don't know Adichie and your argument is obviously composed of stuffs you only recently read up.

My question remains that 'Why would a writer dismiss literary works that she hasn't even seen?' Would she do the same if they were works on the shortlist of any other literary contest?
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Blasts Elnathan John, A Writer From Kaduna In New Interview by herald9: 1:37pm On Mar 22, 2015
lovely Sunday...had a nice read grin
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Blasts Elnathan John, A Writer From Kaduna In New Interview by DonDiego(m): 1:44pm On Mar 22, 2015
When you know the formula-ic contents of a particular platform you can easily dismiss it even without reading its content. And there are examples. Soyinka dismissed the Tigretude bunch of writers without wasting time reading them. Soyinka, again, dismissed the Bolekaja critics of Chinweizu et al without reading their work. I'll not have to read stuff in Hints magazine to know the quality of offering there. Adichie knew and still knows the kind of African stories that get shortlisted by the Caine folks, works that she had read to often in the past to have become so bored of.
hifaif:

All this jargon isn't necessary. You don't know Adichie and your argument is obviously composed of stuffs you only recently read up.

My question remains that 'Why would a writer dismiss literary works that she hasn't even seen?' Would she do the same if they were works on the shortlist of any other literary contest?

2 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Blasts Elnathan John, A Writer From Kaduna In New Interview by Nobody: 1:52pm On Mar 22, 2015
freecocoa:
I don't know what your idea of feminism is, but it's certainly not going about the whole place being unnecessarily overly arrogant/rude to men, feminism is not about hating men.

I'm a feminist but that doesn't mean I support everything women, not when it's wrong. Feminism is equality for ALL, true the movement was originally founded to fight for the rights of women because women were being marginalized, the essence of it all is to establish that both sexes are equal, now if this is the case, I don't understand why you are acting the way you are, using feminism as a cover, that's just totally misguided and very unattractive.

Chimamanda who is supposed to know this, seems to be losing focus, he knelt down to greet her doesn't give her the right to be condescending, especially because it goes against what she is meant to stand for. I didn't quote you to pick a fight but when I read posts like yours and that of other supposed feminists on here, I get why many people see the idea as a joke, so please do well to review what you believe so much in, thanks.

Really? He(They) insulted me first, so I should overlook them because they are men, right?.

I stated my opinion that i'm not scared of any man, rather they choose to descend on me instead of facing the topic. So, I should be scared of them or what? Men are equally not scared of any human likewise me. Any man that descends on me will get his own cup of bitter medicine.

On this thread so far, Chimamanda has both male and female supporters likewise El-nathan, so it's not related to feminism but "Madam and her boy". In school, if a Male or Female lecturer call me their girl, I won't get mad unlike someone i'm not related to. Chimamanda stated that anybody working in her workshop is equally her boy i.e she will still address her female workers anyhow. Whether she was condenscending or not is none of my business as she equally opined that she said it jokingly.

El-nathan could have sent her an E-mail stating his disastifaction instead of going to twitter ranting like a sissy. He used a cocoyam analogy for/on Adichie and she struck back.
I don't care about who's wrong.

3 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Blasts Elnathan John, A Writer From Kaduna In New Interview by freecocoa(f): 1:52pm On Mar 22, 2015
pak:

Will you marry me! Like seriously grin, I was about losing all hope until I read this and something inside me jumped.
Feminism without egalitarianism is hypocrisy!
She wants to be treated equally with men yet wants special treatment due to her social status ! undecided
I guess many so called feminists(Nigerians especially) have their own definition of the idea,which is why the movement is taken for a joke around here.

I choose to stick with the one that preaches treating everyone equally.grin
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Blasts Elnathan John, A Writer From Kaduna In New Interview by Nobody: 1:53pm On Mar 22, 2015
DonDiego:
When you know the formula-ic contents of a particular platform you can easily dismiss it even without reading its content. And there are examples. Soyinka dismissed the Tigretude bunch of writers without wasting time reading them. Soyinka, again, dismissed the Bolekaja critics of Chinweizu et al without reading their work. I'll not have to read stuff in Hints magazine to know the quality of offering there. Adichie knew and still knows the kind of African stories that get shortlisted by the Caine folks, works that she had read to often in the past to have become so bored of.

How did you not get the gist? Please, read up on the 2013 Adichie interview after the Caine shortlist was released. Adichie said the stories in her mailbox were better than stories she had not even read.

And Soyinka never dismissed the Tigritude movement in the same way Adichie does the Caine Prize works.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Blasts Elnathan John, A Writer From Kaduna In New Interview by Nobody: 1:57pm On Mar 22, 2015
hifaif:

Actually, it's "all these".
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Blasts Elnathan John, A Writer From Kaduna In New Interview by Nobody: 1:58pm On Mar 22, 2015
@DonDiego, have you read the Poems Of Black Africa edited by Wole Soyinka? Please, were there not more than three Senghor poems in the collection? If Soyinka dismissed the Tigritude movement, why did he publish at least 3 of Senghor's poems?
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Blasts Elnathan John, A Writer From Kaduna In New Interview by Nobody: 2:10pm On Mar 22, 2015
Vickybee:

Actually, it's "all these".

JARGON here is an uncountable noun. When you use determiners with uncountable nouns, they are always in the singular form.

E.g, This (not These) news is bad.

Also, the verb remains in the singular form.

This news IS bad.

All THIS jargon.

You can use jargon also as a countable noun or a plural noun.

E.g, All THESE jargon(S) are unnecessary.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Blasts Elnathan John, A Writer From Kaduna In New Interview by DonDiego(m): 2:10pm On Mar 22, 2015
hifaif:
@DonDiego, have you read the Poems Of Black Africa edited by Wole Soyinka? Please, were there not more than three Senghor poems in the collection? If Soyinka dismissed the Tigritude movement, why did he publish at least 3 of Senghor's poems?

Poems of Black Africa was an assigned text during my HSC days. Of course you know that the book is comprehensive for its diversity. The anthologist ensured that poems from every corner of Africa were represented. So it'd have been a major flaw if he had left out the poems of Senghor. But including the former Senegalese leader does not mean Soyinka didnt think his idea of Tigritude was nonsense. Maybe you should open up the internet and check out things for yourself. Dont just take my word for it. Cheers.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Blasts Elnathan John, A Writer From Kaduna In New Interview by Nobody: 2:16pm On Mar 22, 2015
DonDiego:

Poems of Black Africa was an assigned text during my HSC days. Of course you know that the book is comprehensive for its diversity. The anthologist ensured that poems from every corner of Africa was represented. So it'd have been a major flaw if he had left out the poems of Senghor. But including the former Senegalese leader does not mean Soyinka didnt think his idea of Tigritude was nonsense. Maybe you should open up the internet and check out things for yourself. Dont just take my word for it. Cheers.

Oh, Jesus Christ. You mean that big book was assigned or recommended? Which? Because there is a difference. The book was recommended because some of the prescribed poems were in it. That was not why Soyinka collected the poems.

Wole Soyinka picked some of the best poems around Africa. Nobody forced poems on him.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Blasts Elnathan John, A Writer From Kaduna In New Interview by Nobody: 2:16pm On Mar 22, 2015
hifaif:

JARGON here is an uncountable noun. When you use determiners with uncountable nouns, they are always in the singular form.

E.g, This (not These) news is bad.

Also, the verb remains in the singular form.

This news IS bad.

All THIS jargon.

You can use jargon also as a countable noun or a plural noun.

E.g, All THESE jargon(S) are unnecessary.

You used "ALL" which isn't suppose to be so.

It's either, "This jargon isn't" or "All these jargons aren't". Pffft
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Blasts Elnathan John, A Writer From Kaduna In New Interview by Nobody: 2:20pm On Mar 22, 2015
DonDiego:

Poems of Black Africa was an assigned text during my HSC days. Of course you know that the book is comprehensive for its diversity. The anthologist ensured that poems from every corner of Africa was represented. So it'd have been a major flaw if he had left out the poems of Senghor. But including the former Senegalese leader does not mean Soyinka didnt think his idea of Tigritude was nonsense. Maybe you should open up the internet and check out things for yourself. Dont just take my word for it. Cheers.

Also, he had issues with their ideology, not the poems they produced.

Read Wole Soyinka's The Man Died. He mentioned the affluent lifestyle of Senghor when the latter was president of Senegal. Wole had issues with Senghor's ideology, not his poems.

I will explain a little. Senghor pretended to be African in his ideology but in real life, his attitude was European. Soyinka had issues with that.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Blasts Elnathan John, A Writer From Kaduna In New Interview by DonDiego(m): 2:25pm On Mar 22, 2015
hifaif:

Oh, Jesus Christ. You mean that big book was assigned or recommended? Which? Because there is a difference. The book was recommended because some of the prescribed poems were in it. That was not why Soyinka collected the poems.

Wole Soyinka picked some of the best poems around Africa. Nobody forced poems on him.

Did I just say that Soyinka was under compulsion to include specific poems in that Anthology? Read again. What is certain is that Soyinka sought to cover as many parts of the continent as he possibly could - and that ranged across generations. And to answer your question about the book and my class: we were simply asked to buy the book and study specific poems for our exams. Whether that amounted to the book being assigned or else being recommended to us, I am sadly unable, due to inadequate comptence with the language, to say.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Blasts Elnathan John, A Writer From Kaduna In New Interview by Nobody: 2:27pm On Mar 22, 2015
Vickybee:

You used "ALL" which isn't suppose to be so.

It's either, "This jargon isn't" or "All these jargons aren't". Pffft

grin You clearly have a long way to go if you still have issues with ALL.

Well, go to Google and search for ALL. It is just another determiner or an indefinite pronoun. It doesn't alter with Uncountable or Countable nouns.

But, you can help yourself by picking up a copy of Brighter Grammar.

Would you rather say: All these bad news or All this bad news...?
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Blasts Elnathan John, A Writer From Kaduna In New Interview by DonDiego(m): 2:31pm On Mar 22, 2015
Whatever it was, ideology or the sensibility behind Tigritude, the point was that Soyinka had issues with Senghor and his crew, at least at the time. Ever heard the quip by Soyinka: "A Tiger does not proclaim its tigritude. It pounces." That sums up WS' attitude to that movement.
hifaif:

Also, he had issues with their ideology, not the poems they produced.

Read Wole Soyinka's The Man Died. He mentioned the affluent lifestyle of Senghor when the latter was president of Senegal. Wole had issues with Senghor's ideology, not his poems.

I will explain a little. Senghor pretended to be African in his ideology but in real life, his attitude was European. Soyinka had issues with that.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Blasts Elnathan John, A Writer From Kaduna In New Interview by Nobody: 2:37pm On Mar 22, 2015
DonDiego:
Whatever it was, ideology or the sensibility behind Tigritude, the point was that Soyinka had issues with Senghor and his crew, at least at the time. Ever heard the quip by Soyinka: "A Tiger does not proclaim its tigritude. It pounces." That sums up WS' attitude to that movement.

You didn't get where I said that Senghor was pretentiously African?

Wole Soyinka advised them not to be African just by words of mouth but also by their actions as well hence that quip.

Now, this case isn't anywhere petty compared to the well known grudge that Adichie holds against the Caine Prize.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Blasts Elnathan John, A Writer From Kaduna In New Interview by Nobody: 2:40pm On Mar 22, 2015
hifaif:

grin You clearly have a long way to go if you still have issues with ALL.

Well, go to Google and search for ALL. It is just another determiner or an indefinite pronoun. It doesn't alter with Uncountable or Countable nouns.

But, you can help yourself by picking up a copy of Brighter Grammar.

Would you rather say: All these bad news or All this bad news...?

No, rather help yourself with google whether you can find an article that says "All this bad news". grin

@Emboldened, you really need that book seriously. grin grin

http://www.google.com/search?client=ms-opera-mini&channel=new&gws_rd=cr&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&q=All+these+bad+news
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Blasts Elnathan John, A Writer From Kaduna In New Interview by Nobody: 2:41pm On Mar 22, 2015
@DonDiego, you got me saying Tigritude instead of Negritude. grin
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Blasts Elnathan John, A Writer From Kaduna In New Interview by pak: 2:42pm On Mar 22, 2015
hifaif:

She got it through her back door. Our education system is in a shambles.

This is why I hate nairaland. People are just evil. How did you know she got it through her back door, where you there? Where you there? Couldn't it have been any other place grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Blasts Elnathan John, A Writer From Kaduna In New Interview by Nobody: 2:45pm On Mar 22, 2015
Vickybee:

No, rather help yourself with google whether you can find an article that says "All this bad news". grin

@Emboldened, you really need that book seriously. grin grin

http://www.google.com/search?client=ms-opera-mini&channel=new&gws_rd=cr&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&q=All+these+bad+news

Vickybee grin

http://nymag.com/scienceofus/2014/08/what-all-this-bad-news-is-doing-to-us.html

You need to sue your English teacher. Now, this is more technical
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Blasts Elnathan John, A Writer From Kaduna In New Interview by pak: 2:47pm On Mar 22, 2015
freecocoa:
How does this relate to my post?

Even you are evil grin grin grin

Mesef reason this matter until I gave up. My brain just couldn't make the connection grin
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Blasts Elnathan John, A Writer From Kaduna In New Interview by Nobody: 2:49pm On Mar 22, 2015
hifaif:

Vickybee grin

http://nymag.com/scienceofus/2014/08/what-all-this-bad-news-is-doing-to-us.html

You need to sue your English teacher. Now, this is more technical
Now let's divert to what you actually typed.

"All this jargon" - I had to google it but "No result found".

"All these jargon" - http://www.google.com/search?client=ms-opera-mini&channel=new&gws_rd=cr&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&q=All+these+jargons

gringrin
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Blasts Elnathan John, A Writer From Kaduna In New Interview by Nobody: 2:49pm On Mar 22, 2015
@Vickybee, I read some of the results under the link you gave. Did you even read the results well before posting the link?

There was clearly no 'These bad news' anywhere there. Please, show me the exact post or sentence.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Blasts Elnathan John, A Writer From Kaduna In New Interview by pak: 2:51pm On Mar 22, 2015
freecocoa:

You've now gone and outdone yourself. This is real class up here.
Did you study in Nigeria and which course you study? Literature, philosophy or psychology.

Abi na on top nairaland them teach you this kind brain!
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Blasts Elnathan John, A Writer From Kaduna In New Interview by DonDiego(m): 2:52pm On Mar 22, 2015
You keep saying Adichie's criticism of the Caine prize is petty and you are magisterial as to why: she is bitter because she failed to win it. And I earler asked you without still receiving an answer: Is Caine prize winner Wainana also petty for criticizing the Caine Prize? And what do you say to those others beyond Adichie and Wainana who say the Caine prize is all about Africa Poverty Porn and nothing more? Are those critics also being petty?
hifaif:

You didn't get where I said that Senghor was pretentiously African?

Wole Soyinka advised them not to be African just by words of mouth but also by their actions as well hence that quip.

Now, this case isn't anywhere petty compared to the well known grudge that Adichie holds against the Caine Prize.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Blasts Elnathan John, A Writer From Kaduna In New Interview by Nobody: 2:54pm On Mar 22, 2015
Vickybee:

Now let's divert to what you actually typed.

"All this jargon" - I had to google it but "No result found".

"All these jargon" - http://www.google.com/search?client=ms-opera-mini&channel=new&gws_rd=cr&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&q=All+these+jargons

gringrin

Oh, please stop grin.

Jargon can be a count, uncountable or plural noun. The rule states that if you are using a determiner directly with an uncountable noun, your determiner must be in the singular since ordinarily you cannot count an uncountable noun.

Jargon can also be a countable noun. I explained this earlier and even gave an example.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 85th Birthday: 10 Things You Didn’t Know About Him / "365": A Novelette / A Girl Called Fib & The Axe Of Fury

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 107
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.