Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,802 members, 7,810,087 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:29 PM

West African Countries Hate Nigerians? - Travel (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / West African Countries Hate Nigerians? (37845 Views)

Poll: Do they REALLY hate us?

Yes: 61% (83 votes)
No: 38% (52 votes)
This poll has ended

Top 10 African Countries With The Finest Men / A Nairalander's Tale On His West African Tour / Many Nigerians Living In Nigeria Hate Nigerians In Diaspora, Jealous Much? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: West African Countries Hate Nigerians? by desgiezd(m): 4:00pm On Nov 01, 2007
One thing is very clear and that is we, Nigerians, wherever we are, we always stand out and are quickly noticed. I once read a nigerian journalist's report about his visit to an african country. There he met some journalists and they started chatting. The journalists now told the nigerian something like this "you nigerians are a funny people, when someone comes to your country, you'll tell the person, follow me, I'll show you the way. And when you are visiting another country, you'll still tell your hosts, follow me, I'll show you the way"

Why wont they exhibit hatred towards us when we try to show them the way even in their own countries? Thats the nigerian spirit for you and no amount of hatred can kill it!
Re: West African Countries Hate Nigerians? by dtwsola(m): 5:29pm On Nov 01, 2007
[GENERALIZATION]
As an unpatriotic Nigerian, I can understand why some other West Africans hate us. Look at all you guys saying that other West African countries are jealous of us. Jealous of what exactly? Are you kidding? What exactly has Nigeria accomplished that is so great for them to be jealous of? Despite all the resources, OIL, our claimed "intellectual prowess", and human capital; our GDP per capita is still near dead last among other West African nations, we still have less regular power than they do, we still have crumbling infrastructure, low tourism, combined with a terrible reputation abroad. What exactly are we being proud of again? Then some have the nerve to run around screaming "giant of Africa". LOL! As if it's something to be proud of that we are a big underporforming country. The fact is that many of us are just feeling big over nothing. To whom much is given much is expected, and we are falling well below expectations (even by African standards). Instead of us to drop the ego, and try and see how to make our country live to it's potential, many of us sit around gloating over nothing.
[/GENERALIZATION]

Nonetheless, anyone who judges another person simply by his nationality is an idiot. Not all Nigerians are patriotic egomaniacs. Many of us are reasonable people. And I have met quite a few useless Ghanians, Senegalesse, and Cameroonians so bad apples exist in all nationalities.

1 Like

Re: West African Countries Hate Nigerians? by londoner: 5:40pm On Nov 01, 2007
They are far too preoccupied with Nigerians. The people they claim to hate.

Good news about Nigeria makes them feel angry, that tells you that they dont want Nigeria to improve, although they complain about us. Its often jealousy.
Re: West African Countries Hate Nigerians? by UNLEASHED(m): 6:12pm On Nov 01, 2007
It is natural to hate I think, I ain't giving a damn but still F**CK HATERS!!!
Re: West African Countries Hate Nigerians? by naijadiva2(f): 7:43pm On Nov 01, 2007
londoner:

They are far too preoccupied with Nigerians. The people they claim to hate.

Good news about Nigeria makes them feel angry, that tells you that they don't want Nigeria to improve, although they complain about us. Its often jealousy.

i totally agree. they only want to hear bad things about so that they can have more reasons to hate us. they hate us on the outside but in the inside they love us, they love our music, our movies(which some claim sucks,) they love our culture and they just love everything about us and that's why they love us.
Re: West African Countries Hate Nigerians? by 9ja4eva: 8:48pm On Nov 01, 2007
The idea is dt they hate on us because they cant be like us.
Re: West African Countries Hate Nigerians? by finemocha(f): 9:38pm On Nov 01, 2007
@comfort

only an idiot would be proud to be the mother of a wayward child, i said im not proud of nigeria that doesnt mean i plan to disown my country.

SO basically like 80% of nairalanders believe that our problem with other african nations is the jealous they harbour for us ehmm is that right? well u all can keep screaming jealousy, my goodness u all sound like a bunch of silly green eyed little girls.

and about the plane dropping food in nigeria, maybe the US govt is worried we might steal the plane. while its still in the air. grin grin grin grin grin grin

And if htey hate us its not because they want to be us for goodness sake. I mean look at white people, do u think they hate black people because deep down they want to be black. HELLL NAWWW, they all have their reasons but i can guaranteee u that stupendous excuse is not the first thing that pops in their head when they say "i hate nigerians"
Re: West African Countries Hate Nigerians? by Comfort86(f): 9:48pm On Nov 01, 2007
dtw_sola:

[GENERALIZATION]
As an unpatriotic Nigerian, I can understand why some other West Africans hate us. Look at all you guys saying that other West African countries are jealous of us. Jealous of what exactly? Are you kidding? What exactly has Nigeria accomplished that is so great for them to be jealous of? Despite all the resources, OIL, our claimed "intellectual prowess", and human capital; our GDP per capita is still near dead last among other West African nations, we still have less regular power than they do, we still have crumbling infrastructure, low tourism, combined with a terrible reputation abroad. What exactly are we being proud of again? Then some have the nerve to run around screaming "giant of Africa". LOL! As if it's something to be proud of that we are a big underporforming country. The fact is that many of us are just feeling big over nothing. To whom much is given much is expected, and we are falling well below expectations (even by African standards). Instead of us to drop the ego, and try and see how to make our country live to it's potential, many of us sit around gloating over nothing.
[/GENERALIZATION]

Nonetheless, anyone who judges another person simply by his nationality is an idiot. Not all Nigerians are patriotic egomaniacs. Many of us are reasonable people. And I have met quite a few useless Ghanians, Senegalesse, and Cameroonians so bad apples exist in all nationalities.

* * * *NOTES ARE IN REFERENCE TO HIGHLIGHTED TEXTS ABOVE, ACCORDINGLY * * * *

#1. Uncle, you have to understand that jealousy is a common disposition.   Girl A is jealous of Girl B because she is prettier; Girl B may not have necessarily accomplished anything but she is being preyed upon because of a natural ability that God has provided her with.  I believe in being humble and I'm not saying that other countries are jealous of Nigeria.  I'm not God so I don't know. But don't rule out the possibility.  

#2. I am simply proud of the fact that I am a Nigerian.  Many Americans may not agree with the war being fought in Iraq; they feel it is pointless but that does not stop them from simply being proud to be an American.  You know the saying: "Be your #1 fan."

#3. Being egotistical is never a good thing; we all know that, right?  Nigeria does have great potential and we all do need to work together in making sure it lives up to it. May God help us.

#4. That's what's up! kiss

1 Like

Re: West African Countries Hate Nigerians? by naijadiva2(f): 9:50pm On Nov 01, 2007
And if htey hate us its not because they want to be us for goodness sake. I mean look at white people, do u think they hate black people because deep down they want to be black. HELLL NAWWW, they all have their reasons but i can guaranteee u that stupendous excuse is not the first thing that pops in their head when they say "i hate nigerians"

we are not talking about opposites. white people do hate among their kind just like black people hate among their kind as well as hispanics.
Re: West African Countries Hate Nigerians? by Comfort86(f): 9:53pm On Nov 01, 2007
@ finemocha
So you will forget all of that child's good qualities and tell the world that you are not proud to be his/her mother, abi?
Re: West African Countries Hate Nigerians? by babadee(m): 9:57pm On Nov 01, 2007
They dont hate nigerians, they're beefing us which only shows that we're ahead.
Re: West African Countries Hate Nigerians? by naijadiva2(f): 10:13pm On Nov 01, 2007
babadee:

They don't hate nigerians, they're beefing us which only shows that we're ahead.

your wrong. you have to hate someone first before you have beef with them. so technically, they are not beefing with us, they just hate us because of nigerian sterotypes. but when they get to know us, they end up liking us.
Re: West African Countries Hate Nigerians? by faketan(m): 10:54pm On Nov 01, 2007
I had to ask an Ivorien today at Lunch why we so much hated,  . .

She said in summary that people distance themselves from us because they believe that we do evil. However she said that her experience with Nigerians is that of joy. According to her, 2 of her sisters are in UK today through a Nigerian.

To add goodness to goodness, her husband a Gabonese told her in no uncertain terms that all Africans should be proud of Nigerians:

that most of the good positions occupied in the UK by Africans are occupied by Nigerian. And that they work hard in everything that they do which is the  reason why they are elevated.
Including pushing stuff. It does not mean according to him that others do no evil or push no stuff but that they lag behind Nigeria in every field of endeavour both good and bad.

End of story.

1 Like

Re: West African Countries Hate Nigerians? by finemocha(f): 1:27am On Nov 02, 2007
look comfort
i didnt push nigeria out of my freaking uterus, so i honestly really dont give a damn what u think. i dont have to be proud of the useless country to want to help it or the people from there. the same way if a child does something very bad the parents a dissappointed but htey dont disown teh child. im not disowning nigeria, but i will criticize it like hell.

oh and white people do hate amongst their own kind too oh, i grew up in the souht so i know, its just harder for them because they all speak one language, unlike we africans that have a gazillion languages.
Re: West African Countries Hate Nigerians? by londoner: 12:12pm On Nov 02, 2007
@ Finemocha, yes, some White people hate towards Black is based on intimidation, why else would they put so much effort into keeping us down? Why[b][/b] else do they downplay Black achievement? Why else would they put so much time and effort into making people believe the Egyptians who were so great, are White instead of Black. Why [b][/b]would they shoot off the obviously Black nose of the sphynx?

The White race is intimidated about losing its seeming superiority, so they perpetuate the White is right myth and capitalise on any opportunity to exaggerate the "inferiority" of the black race. Thats the truth, they do it where ever they go in the world. It stems from deep insecurity.

Even anti semetism was based on German insecurity, the Jews were perceived as a force which was taking over.

I suggest you keep abreast of all the goings on in Nigeria, I find that most people who only accept the negatives of Nigeriaas a country, are the last ones to investigate what is happening in the country currently, even on a small scale.

While you are at it, why not research our neighbouring countries, are they all doing their best with what they have? The story of Nigeria is one which is replicated all over Africa my dear.

1 Like

Re: West African Countries Hate Nigerians? by Comfort86(f): 2:49pm On Nov 02, 2007
kiss Finemocha, I'm not fighting with you.  kiss  We are just exchanging views, now.

I believe there is a difference in being proud of your child and being proud of being his mother. Just my thought.  This is just a metaphor.

kiss kiss kiss kiss Have a wovewy dayyyyyy kiss kiss kiss kiss
Re: West African Countries Hate Nigerians? by Glorya(f): 4:47pm On Nov 02, 2007
AS YOU SEE ME SO, I NO SEND YOU OH.
THAT ONE NO MEAN SAY I NO DEY WISH YOU WELL OH.
I MIND MY OWN BIZ AND I DON'T GIVE A S**T
BUT I STILL DEY FEEL YOU OH
COS WE ARE ONE AND THESAME ONE STRUGGLE

everybody hustle for yourself oh, every country on its own. If you see us do better, thank God for us and do your own. If you can't then keep shut and stop beefing us. Abeg, bone the animosity.

NAIJA FOR EVER
KEEP THE GREEN FLAG FLYYYYING.
Re: West African Countries Hate Nigerians? by oell(m): 4:58pm On Nov 02, 2007
Glorya:

AS YOU SEE ME SO, I NO SEND YOU OH.
THAT ONE NO MEAN SAY I NO DEY WISH YOU WELL OH.
I MIND MY OWN BIZ AND I DON'T GIVE A S**T
BUT I STILL DEY FEEL YOU OH
COS WE ARE ONE AND THESAME ONE STRUGGLE

everybody hustle for yourself oh, every country on its own. If you see us do better, thank God for us and do your own. If you can't then keep shut and stop beefing us. Abeg, bone the animosity.

NAIJA FOR EVER
KEEP THE GREEN FLAG FLYYYYING.

Thats the Spirit 9ja4ever cool
Re: West African Countries Hate Nigerians? by UNLEASHED(m): 6:21pm On Nov 02, 2007
If we ain't hatin ourselves then nobody's gon' hate us. As one Nigeria, if we love ourselves then we are shieldin off their jealousy, hatred stuffs!
Re: West African Countries Hate Nigerians? by pmdaboh(f): 7:06pm On Nov 02, 2007
[b]@ Poster

Who said everyone would LOVE YOU?  Just because someone has the same skin color (or close to it) does not mean they will love you.  Just because someone lives in the same country, in the same district, or even on the same street as you does not mean they will embrace you with love.  People are people--some are nice and some are not.  Some people love others (no matter what their color), and some do not!  It is called life, brother and sisters!

When I married a Nigerian man, I discovered that many African Americans (which I am), dislike and hate African people for all kinds of CRAZY reasons (afraid of contracting AIDS from them, think they are less attractive then African Americans, think they are less than African Americans, etc., etc., etc., etc.,).  I also discovered that some Africans, equally, are prejudice against African Americans for various reasons (the terminology of African American that we use, our ease of life as compared to theres, our disconnection from the Motherland, our this, and our that).  Wow! 

Basically, I am responsible before God for loving my neighbor (which all the commandments are summed up in the that one--according to the word of God).  LOVE THEY NEIGHBOR AS THYSELF!  And who is my neighbor--anyone I come into contact with!

YOU cannot change the way someone feels about you, but what is in your control is HOW YOU FEEL ABOUT OTHERS AND TREAT THEM!

Get over the shock  shocked  and move on with life!  Keep living, and you will discover there are many prejudices out there, but thank God for many who love and show kindness--for it balances things out.  YOU just be on the side of showing love.
[/b]
Re: West African Countries Hate Nigerians? by naijadiva2(f): 7:42pm On Nov 02, 2007
pmdaboh:

[b]@ Poster

Who said everyone would LOVE YOU?  Just because someone has the same skin color (or close to it) does not mean they will love you.  Just because someone lives in the same country, in the same district, or even on the same street as you does not mean they will embrace you with love.  People are people--some are nice and some are not.  Some people love others (no matter what their color), and some do not!  It is called life, brother and sisters!

When I married a Nigerian man, I discovered that many African Americans (which I am), dislike and hate African people for all kinds of CRAZY reasons (afraid of contracting AIDS from them, think they are less attractive then African Americans, think they are less than African Americans, etc., etc., etc., etc.,).  I also discovered that some Africans, equally, are prejudice against African Americans for various reasons (the terminology of African American that we use, our ease of life as compared to theres, our disconnection from the Motherland, our this, and our that).  Wow! 
Basically, I am responsible before God for loving my neighbor (which all the commandments are summed up in the that one--according to the word of God).  LOVE THEY NEIGHBOR AS THYSELF!  And who is my neighbor--anyone I come into contact with!

YOU cannot change the way someone feels about you, but what is in your control is HOW YOU FEEL ABOUT OTHERS AND TREAT THEM!

Get over the shock  shocked  and move on with life!  Keep living, and you will discover there are many prejudices out there, but thank God for many who love and show kindness--for it balances things out.  YOU just be on the side of showing love.
[/b]

umm yea the speech was beautiful and all but your reasons as to why africans dislike african americans is not all that right. its not because they use the term african american, or because of the ease of life in compared to ours. its because they give black people in general a bad name so when other people see us, yes automatically we are black in race and there fore we might be dumb too. some africans just don't like the way some black american act with no respect. and for the whole not knowing the motherland thing, it has nothing to do with being connected or not to africa. its just that black americans are the first to not appreciate africa. white people love us to some degree, indian people love us, but black people, umm will make fun of us. we don't care if they want to be african or not but they should show some respect, not only to us but to everyone who is not of their culture.
Re: West African Countries Hate Nigerians? by osamuyi(m): 11:17am On Nov 03, 2007
i have never had such experiences but what i do know is that the foreigners i know in my neighbourhood are treated just as equal as if they were nigerians.
Re: West African Countries Hate Nigerians? by haleema(f): 2:22pm On Nov 03, 2007
we pass them!
Re: West African Countries Hate Nigerians? by alisigwe(m): 6:44pm On Nov 03, 2007
@ german lady
i think u're were seriously misinformed,it's bullshit when u say youruba's hates ibos,The only thing is that in naija every tribe respects the other and that dosen't imply hatred.
Re: West African Countries Hate Nigerians? by adconline(m): 7:20pm On Nov 03, 2007
babaosisi,
Have you heard of a Ghanaian politician (parliamentarian) who was caught in JFK with some pounds of cocaine? I think sometime this year, a reputed Chicago gang member from Kenya (with his dumb gang name “Kenya’) killed a young kid in a crossfire rivalry. The fact that this guy came from Kenya received no traction by the media, if it had been a Nigerian, Oprah would have covered it.

I thought Nigerians were full of bad people, now Oprah’s academy in South Africa is facing a lot of scandals. This case will be treated as an isolated incident, if it had been in Nigeria, they will tie all the dots to corruption.
Re: West African Countries Hate Nigerians? by howddy4(f): 7:30pm On Nov 03, 2007
they hate nigerians everywhere in africa, esp south africans
Re: West African Countries Hate Nigerians? by 9ja4eva: 9:55am On Nov 04, 2007
Yes but we cant help it,

Na beef
Re: West African Countries Hate Nigerians? by Nameless1(m): 2:23pm On Nov 04, 2007
ok yall ive been a Nigerian for a while, lets say, (21yrs) i schooled and did everything in naija, but now i dey ghana, both parents are ghanaians for the record

the issue here is not jealousy, its shuld be a friendly rivalry, but ghanaians take it to the extreme, cos

1. Nigerians have this Aggresive attitude about them that most Ghanaians dont get

2. Nigerians dont understand the meanin of the word ''Patience''

3. Nigerians take every thing to the extreme ''corruption'' ''bribery'' ''thiefery'' and the most outstanding one, ''SCAM'' they even have a word for it, ''Mugu bizness'' grin now ghanaians are following , i work in a cafe so what i am saying is a fact, matter of fact, the number of Nigerians in Ghana is increasing by 10 every single day, nat saying its not good to migrate, but how come only the bad ones come into the country, i heard about the Efcc , i think thats whats bringing em here, our foolish police men too dont even know wassup''them no sodji yet,

but i still gat love for ma niaja peeps, e no eazy, for that place, if u can make it thur, u can make it any where, 1

1 Like

Re: West African Countries Hate Nigerians? by SweetT1: 2:53pm On Nov 04, 2007
@Posters
I don't care if they like Nigerians or not, I love all Africans !!! The thing some of our people they do sometimes dey tire me. Sometimes Nigeria makes African look bad. Some people even think Nigeria is a continent on its own. I know Bush did when he first got in office !!
Re: West African Countries Hate Nigerians? by finemocha(f): 8:37pm On Nov 04, 2007
@sweet T

hjahahah bush. yeah i guess the point of this conversation is that 'WE GOT TO DO BETTER"[color=#990000][/color]
Re: West African Countries Hate Nigerians? by SweetT1: 10:11pm On Nov 04, 2007
@Finemocha
Yeah Mr Bush is something else. Eventhough i work at his pleasure, he is a clown. I think he should get a job as a clown upon retirement. America is such an amazing country 'cause i wonder sometimes how an individual like Mr Bush got into the white house. Contrary to what everybody thinks, he is just doing things his own way, thinking the whole world is like a video game and he is just having fun, he doesn't know any better !
Re: West African Countries Hate Nigerians? by faketan(m): 10:30pm On Nov 04, 2007
Sweet T:

@Posters
I don't care if they like Nigerians or not, I love all Africans !!! The thing some of our people they do sometimes dey tire me. Sometimes Nigeria makes African look bad. Some people even think Nigeria is a continent on its own. I know Bush did when he first got in office !!

The good things we do outweighs the bad things we do.
They only highlight our evil to make us look inferior and you fall for the bait

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Bridge Collapses In Niger State Due To Heavy Rainfall (Photos) / Terrible Accident In Nasarawa, Many Dead, Others Injured (Graphic Pics) / Accident Involving A Dangote Cement Truck And A Car (Graphic)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.