Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,122 members, 7,835,768 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 02:43 PM

Why Are Igbo Towns 98% Indigenous? - Politics (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Are Igbo Towns 98% Indigenous? (35381 Views)

Goodnews From The City Of Nnewi And It's Metropolitan Towns! / Why Are Most Igbos Towns Made Up Of 90-98% Igbos Or Native? / Troops Recover Eight More Towns In Yobe, Adamawa. Pictures. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are Igbo Towns 98% Indigenous? by zyphr(m): 3:13pm On Apr 08, 2015
italo:

The bold is a compliment and testament to Igbos' industry.

Now did a Yoruba man offer money to buy a farmland in Igboland and the Igbo owner refuse him on ethnic grounds?

Or did the Yoruba man plant plantain and the Igbo man uproot it on ethnic grounds?

Are we to blame Igbos for Yoruba laziness?
No my friend, it is a testament of the benovalence of the yoruba man. The igbos cant get from thier land what the get in the yoruba mans land hence thier migration to these places. You may want to live in denial but the truth remains that man is always in search for greener pasture and it is obvious that the yoruba mans land supports greener pasture than the igbo mans land. Case closed!!!

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Igbo Towns 98% Indigenous? by MrBasketball: 3:38pm On Apr 08, 2015
Yes! They are full of themselves, they create hatred for other tribes, they all went against Buhari during the election for winning just because they are being bias because Jonathan to win the election without no prove of them voting in Jonathan.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Igbo Towns 98% Indigenous? by Mckennedy: 3:45pm On Apr 08, 2015
bsolo1:

oil 4rm which imo and abia..and wen did delta n rivers bcom eastern states

This mumu wan claim oil...

Go back to school make sure you study the map well instead of disgracing yourself publicly.
Re: Why Are Igbo Towns 98% Indigenous? by Abagworo(m): 3:58pm On Apr 08, 2015
There is population pressure in Igboland. The population density of Igboland is by far the highest in Nigeria despite the mass migration.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Igbo Towns 98% Indigenous? by sorepco(m): 4:29pm On Apr 08, 2015
its very simple mate....igbos are generally into commerce ad importation. so, as stranger from another part where you go begin? if you sell anything, you igbo competitor will sell lower than you. i mean, those onitsha guys are something else. they will use N5 to sell an item. how on earth do you stock and sell a N2000 item at N5 profit margin? you see? eve i from anambra cant compete; what more of oluwa from ijebu; what chance does he have within the commerce sector in such a town?
however, the igbos are no where near hausas vegetables or perishable commerce in onitsha or even in animal husbandry sector. as for the yourubas, they dominate the tailoring sector and traditional medicine sector in onitsha. calabars dominate food and bricklaying. you see?
in nutshell, there are opportunities; with different tribes dominating in different sectors. as for professionals, you can hardly find an anambrarian as a banker etc...stragers dominate the sector........

PentiumPro:
Why is it that all Igbo towns are mostly made up of indigenous Igbos
People will rather go to Calabar, Port Harcourt or Uyo than to stop at Onitsha which is closer.
Is it that Igbos are not friendly or there are not enough opportunities outside buying and selling in these igbo towns and cities.

4 Likes

Re: Why Are Igbo Towns 98% Indigenous? by zeongeon: 4:31pm On Apr 08, 2015
Its not that igbos are not accomodating, the problem is that most tribes are not as courageous as the igbos when it comes exploring, taking risk and adventure. That is why the igbos are scattered all over nigeria becos of that adventurous and courageous spirit to succeed. But other tribes are always scared, scared of the unknown for reasons best known to them.

Most pple calling igbo names have never lived in any igbo town or stepped out of there region.

Secondly, with all this tribalism flying around it is clear that some pple go to school but don't educate there minds.

Please nigerian youths change ur mindset about one another and break free from the chains of tribalism..tribalism didn't take our fathers anywhere and it won't lead we the young ones anywhere too

When u step out into foreign lands they don't know u by ur tribe they know u by ur country which is NIGERIA...

This country will experience change for good when everyone starts to see himself as a NIGERIAN and not yoruba, igbo or hausa.

Over haul ur MIND.

8 Likes

Re: Why Are Igbo Towns 98% Indigenous? by poppincash: 4:36pm On Apr 08, 2015
saxywale:

Lagos Island(the former FCT) or Lagos state .
lagos was the federal capital punk. or is muritala mhmmed airport locared on the island? duunce
Re: Why Are Igbo Towns 98% Indigenous? by Nobody: 4:40pm On Apr 08, 2015
shizzleStar:
Very true! Its always not in my character to make generalizations cos there are always exceptions, and you seem to be one of the very few reasonable and unbiased yoruba minds here on nairaland.

Cheers!
i'm a doctor...i can't afford to be...During theatre we all have the same equal internal organs! yoruba kidney ain't different from ibo kidney...you can't discriminate between rich n poor...although some rich folks can make you look forward to seeing them.
Don't think in retrospect, but just remember that one padi of yours of a different ethnicity and how much fun you guys have together. and the shitty same tribe policeman/ lastma or some other horrible person guy that made your life miserable. And you'll see that our diversity is just the spice that sweetens our existence...Afterall, man will not live by fish alone, but enjoys the other varieties...So also our differences.

Later humans will start looking for alien life, so they can extend their friendship?!...or just a different being to hate

5 Likes

Re: Why Are Igbo Towns 98% Indigenous? by Nobody: 4:49pm On Apr 08, 2015
of all the girls i've dated...yorubas were the most difficult...Ibos very loving ( i'm yoruba), benin too are very loving and don't demand your money too much. Warri babes can bill your shadow...infact: i've been dodging my present warri babe, but seems tonight, there is no escape. Kogi babes...make me feel like a Real man...they r freaks in the sac. Hausa babes...so graceful n beautiful, i never dated one though...Thank God am not tribalistic...All the wonders i'd have missed.
Wish i could marry ibo though, but the bride price na die

1 Like

Re: Why Are Igbo Towns 98% Indigenous? by Nobody: 4:51pm On Apr 08, 2015
The honest bitter truth is that we can't do without each other
Re: Why Are Igbo Towns 98% Indigenous? by shizzleStar: 4:56pm On Apr 08, 2015
gmyguy:
i'm a doctor...i can't afford to be...During theatre we all have the same equal internal organs! yoruba kidney ain't different from ibo kidney...you can't discriminate between rich n poor...although some rich folks can make you look forward to seeing them.
Don't think in retrospect, but just remember that one padi of yours of a different ethnicity and how much fun you guys have together. and the shitty same tribe policeman/ lastma or some other horrible person guy that made your life miserable. And you'll see that our diversity is just the spice that sweetens our existence...Afterall, man will not live by fish alone, but enjoys the other varieties...So also our differences.

Later humans will start looking for alien life, so they can extend their friendship?!...or just a different being to hate
Very objective and rational view from you. You have the spirit of Christ in you... as a true catholic, like myself. cheesy

Its a pity how some people have tribalistic instincts engraved in their DNA. Sometimes we cant help it when you have to defend yourself when someone comes at you with some inexplicable irrationality that gets ones bewildered and attacks you.

Like i said before, there are always exceptions. However when the heat is on and there's an e-war, caution is usually let out of the window...and then the generalization....sadly

Again, you have spoken sensibly. Good day!

4 Likes

Re: Why Are Igbo Towns 98% Indigenous? by Nobody: 5:48pm On Apr 08, 2015
PentiumPro:
Why is it that all Igbo towns are mostly made up of indigenous Igbos
People will rather go to Calabar, Port Harcourt or Uyo than to stop at Onitsha which is closer.
Is it that Igbos are not friendly or there are not enough opportunities outside buying and selling in these igbo towns and cities.

Because you can dress the way you dress like ashawo and come to decent Igbo town cool
Re: Why Are Igbo Towns 98% Indigenous? by Nobody: 5:50pm On Apr 08, 2015
ArodeTsolaye:

Segun Adewole, Igbos do not live in yorubaland. Have you ever seen an Igbo man in muddy Osun forest?. Igbos go to lagos where oil money from eastern states like Imo, Abia, Rivers, Delta was used to develop. Igbos do not live in mud houses. They can't survive in your mud-built yorubaland.
Re: Why Are Igbo Towns 98% Indigenous? by Nobody: 5:57pm On Apr 08, 2015
cy4cent:

True Talk !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old woman is it why you are not married at 40 ,....looking an Igbo to rescue you undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: Why Are Igbo Towns 98% Indigenous? by IGBOSON1: 6:00pm On Apr 08, 2015
kaybams1:
Arrogance they say should be earned, it beats my imagination what makes ibos proud.

^^^Igbos quite rightly should be proud of themselves for not only surviving in this helluva country, but doing relatively well when compared with other groups!

For instance, mention two other ethnic groups that quickly come to mind.....let's compare and contrast achievements with Ndigbo in relation to obstacles and advantages placed in their way!

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Igbo Towns 98% Indigenous? by kaybams1(m): 6:01pm On Apr 08, 2015
IGBOSON1:

^^^Igbos quite rightly should be proud of themselves for not only surviving in this helluva country, but doing relatively well when compared with other groups!

For instance, mention two other ethnic groups that quickly come to mind.....let's compare and contrast achievements with Ndigbo in relation to obstacles and advantages placed in their way!

What is this one saying?

1 Like

Re: Why Are Igbo Towns 98% Indigenous? by X3n(m): 6:05pm On Apr 08, 2015
The premise of this thread might be right, being that outsiders re not much in Igbo states, but the conclusion is faulty.
If u conclude that there re so few non-igbos in Igbo states because they re un-accommodating pple, then u re trying to say that other tribes/states that have a lot of non-indigines in them are accommodating pple. But we all agree that is wrong, considering the violence in the north and stories coming out in the west.

I am Igbo and I won't say we are the most accommodating or that we are not accommodating. But what I knw is that Igbos are v.materialistic, the most materialistic of all the regions, we want to acquire and acquire without end, dat trait makes us competitive, so Igbo states are the most competitive, so wen an outsider enters our land, the competition is v.high, and he see dat the odds are against him/her being a minority, he/she chooses the less competitive route, which are the non-igbo states.

I knw for sure that Igbos won't chase u out, they will sell lands to u, sell shops to u if u have the money, they will laugh with u, try 2 teach u the language, the only thing u won't get from them is free things, cos they don't give out anything for free.

So, I think its all about competitiveness. Except u say that being competitive is synonym to being unfriendly or un-accommodating, well, then u re right according to ur dictionary.
Re: Why Are Igbo Towns 98% Indigenous? by IGBOSON1: 6:14pm On Apr 08, 2015
kaybams1:

What is this one saying?

^^^You have comprehension problems?
Re: Why Are Igbo Towns 98% Indigenous? by agabaI23(m): 7:06pm On Apr 08, 2015
I think it has to do with one or more of the following reasons
1. The Igbos are naturally very competitive and non-Igbos feel they can't survive the fierce competition among Igbos in their land. This is also the reason why you hardly see other people venturing into any trade the Igbos are populated in...computer village, ladipo etc
2. While Igbos will apply and get admission to Universities in other locations on merit, people from other location either do not attempt to apply or do not make the cut in Universities in Igbo land. This is due to their competitiveness too.
3. Igbo land has been neglected federal wise but you cannot look down on them considering that all the towns are less than 40 years old and locally developed
4. A bit of intimidation could be a reason. Remember the complaints that the Igbos were everywhere before the war, heading every department in the civil service by merit which drew the ire of other ethnic groups. This was one of the major reasons for the war.
Facts
5. Igbos are very accommodating because they prefer strangers to their brothers. They prefer to communicate with stranger in the strangers language than their own
6. Igbos will prefer to speak English even to their brothers let alone when a non-igbo is there. No other ethnic group do this in Nigeria

Finally, we are all Nigerians irrespective of tribal differences. Let's live together.

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Are Igbo Towns 98% Indigenous? by ThisMeansWAR: 7:21pm On Apr 08, 2015
BlackTechnology:

Because our region was abandoned by FG

Let's encourage resource control and you will see if other Nigerians wont troop enmass to our great land cool

When is Buhari probing Tinubu and OBJ grin
I thought ibos are industrous and don't need FG presence cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Igbo Towns 98% Indigenous? by obaty(f): 7:32pm On Apr 08, 2015
probably the same reason why they like staying in other people's state
Re: Why Are Igbo Towns 98% Indigenous? by italo: 7:40pm On Apr 08, 2015
zyphr:

No my friend, it is a testament of the benovalence of the yoruba man. The igbos cant get from thier land what the get in the yoruba mans land hence thier migration to these places. You may want to live in denial but the truth remains that man is always in search for greener pasture and it is obvious that the yoruba mans land supports greener pasture than the igbo mans land. Case closed!!!
There are more Yorubas/Nigerians in Kenya than there are Kenyans in Yoruba land/Nigeria.

You're saying Kenya supports greener pastures than Yorubaland/Nigeria.

Same goes for Cote d'ivoire.

Come out of your tribal/sentimental cave and think.

Yorubas are no better than any tribe on earth...certainly not Igbos.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Igbo Towns 98% Indigenous? by italo: 7:41pm On Apr 08, 2015
ThisMeansWAR:
Who wants to go to landlocked region with rampaging cannibals. ?

Not me grin
This one's reasoning is blocked by hatred.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Igbo Towns 98% Indigenous? by ThisMeansWAR: 7:43pm On Apr 08, 2015
italo:
This one's reasoning is blocked by hatred.
hatred? Far far from it.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Igbo Towns 98% Indigenous? by oikechukwu: 8:28pm On Apr 08, 2015
kaybams1:

Hahahahahahahahahahaha!!!. See this oponu. You claim your pathetic and parasitic tribe is hardworking and successful yet the aggregate Poverty rates in the SE states is more than SW (even if you exclude Lagos). I can help your illiterate a*s get a NBS statistical bulletin 2013 (that is if your empty skull can comprehend numbers).

This cow thinks is by selling spare parts and electronics that makes you successful and hardworking. The greatest asset of an average Yoruba man is his brain. We don't work Hard, we work Smart. That's why we are always one step ahead where it matters most. Get over it!.

What is this one saying? You mean the same NBS statistics that's currently being questioned? The one where SW was ranked the most poverty ridden in southern Nigeria in 2003 and years prior of that until your brother took over as the head of NBS and automatically SW jumped up to the least poverty in Nigeria. Are you mad? Out of all Southern region, which one has the highest aljmaries? SW. Even your people came out to beg, emphasis BEG, during Ojukwu burial. A man una despised yet una shamelessly begged during his burial...only poverty ridden community can be that shameless.

Oh while I'm at it, that same NBS ranked Osun as having the highest economy in Nigeria yet reality capult show us that your brother at the head was just writing down anything to make a worthless region look Good knowing it cannot look good in real life.
A supposed "highest" economy yet the said governor came out and told the whole world that the state is BROKE. They have no money to even pay salary talkless feed una. Yet your brother in NBS went and crowned it the "highest economy". I won't be surprised if the guy is from Osun state. Fabrication na una best friend.

One last thing, don't make me laugh on Yoruba so called "brain". It is how una eluded yourself as the "most educated" yet getting beat left and right by SS and SE students. Even an igbo son beat una in that government for a day education competition. The brain una have is one una eat during your cannabalism ritual.

And you don't work hard, you people don't work at all. That's why una have the highest number of agberos in Nigeria. That so called part dealer is feeding his family with his hardworking while a common yoruba is laying about waiting for when the government would pay them to be thugs for election. Brain ko, brain ni

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Igbo Towns 98% Indigenous? by christopher123(m): 8:37pm On Apr 08, 2015
Feraz:
My sister, na so I shoooock when Tallesty1 write something. The guy been use one analogy about one Texas man wee den thief hin horse. I come dey reason say "even tallesty"? the hate don dey grow oh. . .

Topic, I have asked numerous persons and I am yet to get an answer: have you gone there to do something and you were chased out? Have you bought a land, built a house and it was taken from you? Have you ever tried to establish a source of livelihood there and were denied? In my hometown, a man I thought was Igbo when growing up was actually a Ghanaian. This guy has lived there for years, speaks our language, built his home, married an Igbo woman, did his business peacefully and also attended meetings that ensured the community is kept clean and the road smooth. So many other people also in other part of the SE. Why this unhealthy generalisation?

It has not resulted to this bro!!! undecided

I just said ikpu nne. Ya ...abi obu na nne ya enwero ikpu?
Re: Why Are Igbo Towns 98% Indigenous? by eaglechild: 8:38pm On Apr 08, 2015
zeongeon:
Its not that igbos are not accomodating, the problem is that most tribes are not as courageous as the igbos when it comes exploring, taking risk and adventure. That is why the igbos are scattered all over nigeria becos of that adventurous and courageous spirit to succeed. But other tribes are always scared, scared of the unknown for reasons best known to them.

Most pple calling igbo names have never lived in any igbo town or stepped out of there region.

Secondly, with all this tribalism flying around it is clear that some pple go to school but don't educate there minds.

Please nigerian youths change ur mindset about one another and break free from the chains of tribalism..tribalism didn't take our fathers anywhere and it won't lead we the young ones anywhere too

When u step out into foreign lands they don't know u by ur tribe they know u by ur country which is NIGERIA...

This country will experience change for good when everyone starts to see himself as a NIGERIAN and not yoruba, igbo or hausa.

Over haul ur MIND.
Excellent!
Re: Why Are Igbo Towns 98% Indigenous? by christopher123(m): 8:50pm On Apr 08, 2015
kaybams1:

What is this one saying?

He is saying your people are dullards and retardedd
Re: Why Are Igbo Towns 98% Indigenous? by Cashio(m): 8:53pm On Apr 08, 2015
op, the answers you seek in all honesty....

igbos are not hostile, the only reason why non indigens fail to thrive in igbo land is high competition and cost of living.

an igbo man is a hustler. we dont depend on the government.

igbos eat human flesh? ow ow that was during the time of our fore fathers.

igboland is full of forests as we watch them in nollywood?.. no my brother thats misconception. you can tour sround and see for yourself.

other tribes dont thrive in igboland because there are limited opportunities. you create opportunities yourself and not wait on the government.

lastly .. how can u survive in a land where its citizens hustle thrice as much as you do..

ok make i park here.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Igbo Towns 98% Indigenous? by suwailad(f): 8:55pm On Apr 08, 2015
ArodeTsolaye:

Segun Adewole, Igbos do not live in yorubaland. Have you ever seen an Igbo man in muddy Osun forest?. Igbos go to lagos where oil money from eastern states like Imo, Abia, Rivers, Delta was used to develop. Igbos do not live in mud houses. They can't survive in your mud-built yorubaland.

LIAR! even in the thick of lokoja, i saw one CHUKWUCHIDERA restaurant.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Igbo Towns 98% Indigenous? by christopher123(m): 8:55pm On Apr 08, 2015
gmyguy:
The honest bitter truth is that we can't do without each other

Who told u that

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

Ben Murray-Bruce Welcomes Saraki To PDP / Mohammed Barkindo Nominated For OPEC Secretary-General By FG / Indian Hospital Agrees To El-zakzaky’s Request

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.