Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,955 members, 7,817,805 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:04 PM

Historical Facts About Ilorin And Kwara Yoruba - Culture (14) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Historical Facts About Ilorin And Kwara Yoruba (101032 Views)

Nigeria Historical Facts: Who Are The Egbas?? / Culture And Historical Background Of Kabba People Of Kogi State / A Brief Historical Origin Of Ibillo Community In Edo State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Historical Facts About Ilorin And Kwara Yoruba by Nobody: 11:06pm On Apr 27, 2015
I AM PROUDLY IGBOMINA FROM AJASSE-IIPO.

ORIKI
Emi Ni omo Olupo alelu Molentente momu joba Motalala mo mu joye Ni moje Eyan ti o ba se ori Olupo pele alowo, abimo, asowo ajere Abode pade owo aba won naa omo aba won je Aiyewa a toro bi omi owuro pon Omi atoro pon ko toro bi omi iyaleta Nijo ti Olupo N womo ti ko romo Nijo naa lo wa omo lo si idi ogan Nigbogbo won se n je Logan Logan l’Oyo Ipo

Re: Historical Facts About Ilorin And Kwara Yoruba by Nobody: 11:27pm On Apr 27, 2015
DO YOU KNOW THAT WHEN AN OBA OF BINI DIED, THEY USED TO DECAPITATE THE CORPSE. THEN, THE HEAD BURIED IN ILE IFE. GO ASK YOUR ELDERS.

NOW TELL ME WHY THEIR HEADS WERE TAKEN TO ILE- IFE FOR BURIAL.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Historical Facts About Ilorin And Kwara Yoruba by Nobody: 12:29am On Jun 10, 2015
Is this the reason why ibadan folks would not let their children marry Kwara folks' children?
Re: Historical Facts About Ilorin And Kwara Yoruba by Demmzy15(m): 1:38am On Jun 20, 2015
ogiste:
Igbos may know much about ur origin than you do anybody in the world can know ur tribe than you do. 1817 was when yoruba orthography was written not by yoruba people not in yoruba land Edward Bowdich in Ghana in Ashante. Ajayi crowther was trained by hannah kilham in freetown. The first iwe iroyin in Yorubaland was writting by henry townsend iwe iroyin fun awon Egba ati Yoruba 1859. It was the help of his teachers succeeded him to translate bible John Raban and Gollmer. We are all here to learn in one way or another not to use abusive words pls. Either igbo or Hausa Fulani they can what we don't know knowledge is every where that's why Yoruba says omode gbon agba gbon la fi da ile ife. Ese ifa says iwa nikan lo soro/2x ori ki i buru lotu ife. Omo Yoruba ni wa awa la ni iwa omo o du du iwa ni wa. Omo olodu iwa. Tiwa lasa tiwa ni isese omoluabi. È seun pupo.
Before the Ghanaian and Crowther who wrote the yoruba language, Yoruba was written in 'Ajami' script which is similar to how Farsi, Urdu, Turkish and Hausa use Arabic letters to communicate in their own various languages

2 Likes

Re: Historical Facts About Ilorin And Kwara Yoruba by Rilwayne001: 9:57am On Jul 03, 2015
[s]
rexbuton:
Good post.. Here is the next step..

1. Ask the Fulanis to leave quietly because when Nigeria has entered it's period of turmoil (probably after Buhari dies), Ilorin will be used as a base to launch attacks on the West. And with the Igbos attacking from the Lagoon, no army can fight on two fronts

2. Yorubas should accept the fact that they can never be accepted as true muslims, hence they should all turn to Christ who is the surest and only way to salvation. This way the Fulani will be alienated and leave. Personally I think fulani incursions into the middlebelt should be checked in order not to be caught unawares

3. Arrange a referendum in which people be made to vote for the scrapping of the Emir title. TINUBU can easily swing this.. oh I almost forgot, Tinubu has a religion too... *thinking*

4. Ignore this message and watch Badagry (in Lagos) turned into Baga in a few years

Survive any lagoon in the world... Pro tips..
https://www.nairaland.com/2244029/how-survive-lagoon-must-read
[/s]

1 Like

Re: Historical Facts About Ilorin And Kwara Yoruba by tomakint: 7:05pm On Sep 06, 2015
Demmzy15:
Emir is just a rough name of 'Amir' in Arabic, it means a 'leader'. So it's the influence of Islam not Fulani, Islam wasn't brought to yoruba land by the Fulanis but by the influence of the 'Songhai' empire in Mali. Yoruba Muslims have existed 100s of years before the birth of Uthman bin Foodee(Dan Fodio). So people claiming the Fulanis forced Islam on Yorubas is a big lie!
Can you refer me to the literature that revealed this info to you?
Re: Historical Facts About Ilorin And Kwara Yoruba by Demmzy15(m): 7:33pm On Sep 06, 2015
tomakint:

Can you refer me to the literature that revealed this info to you?
Which info?
Re: Historical Facts About Ilorin And Kwara Yoruba by macof(m): 3:26pm On Sep 07, 2015
Demmzy15:

Which info?

The info in ur last post
Re: Historical Facts About Ilorin And Kwara Yoruba by Demmzy15(m): 3:33pm On Sep 07, 2015
macof:

The info in ur last post
Islam in yorubaland?
Re: Historical Facts About Ilorin And Kwara Yoruba by PabloAfricanus(m): 10:26pm On Sep 07, 2015
omonnakoda:

Why are we so sure that other Obas are indeed Yoruba.? Once again what does Yoruba mean . People who cling on to that concept have no understanding or a distorted understanding of history . To create empire you gain somethings and you lose others. Genetically I suspect that many people who we know as Yoruba are indeed Tapa or Hausa slave descendants who dissolved into the Oyo empire. The Oyos themselves are distinct from Ekiti and Ijebu. Finally Oduduwa came into Yorubaland from outside established a dynasty and rewrote history. The story of Oduduwa is no different from Alimi if we analyse it properly. Oduduwa was not a indigene.But then who did Oduduwa marry and his children after him. The queen of England is of German ancestry German . This is how kings come about ,they have to lay some claim of superiority of difference

Dude you are making me get interested in discussing Yoruba history on this forum.
Been looking for dispassionate folks to discuss the aspects of Yoruba history everyone seems to be avoiding.
Seems the only trending topic driving traffic to NL is Igbo themed tribal comedy...
When there are deeper and more interesting histories and events that could turn this site into a West African encyclopedia of sorts.
About Oduduwa and Oyo...
Funny how die hard pan-Yorubas struggle with trying to give meaning to the name "Oduduwa",
from "odu to da iwa" to other twisted manipulations at linking the name to the ancient Yoruba name for womb.
The facts appear to point to what you alluded...besides the fact that Ife and Oyo nobles have cleverly overlooked
the non-indigene status of Oduduwa, a lot of difficult questions have been avoided by not approaching that topic.
Like where Oduduwa really came from and the Idu/Bini connection.
Imagine the uninformed Oyos being rudely awakened to the fact that Oranmiyan's dynasty is not actually indigenous...
Or the Ifes and cousins being reminded who Obatala,Sopanna, and other deified personalities were when Oduduwa
arrived at Ife.
And ofcourse there remains the little history of the Ooni welcoming the visitor from Bini to Ife and showing him
the progress made with worship of the deities his ancestor "left behind".
Or the relationship between Ados in Ekiti, Akures in Ondo, Eko, Agidingbi,Oshodin...with the Bini empire.
I think it would make for a great discuss if the goal is to dispassionately look at history and the facts on ground.
Keep it coming!

2 Likes

Re: Historical Facts About Ilorin And Kwara Yoruba by BlackKenichi(m): 6:07pm On Sep 15, 2015
Why do I have a feeling that when the Fulani jihadists took Ilorin, they also went on r@ping spree and took Yoruba "wives"!?

I mean look at every "Jihad" that happened and is happening now. Mass r@pe always follows
Re: Historical Facts About Ilorin And Kwara Yoruba by Nobody: 2:02pm On Nov 25, 2015
WHO WAS "EMIR Sulaiman" A FULANI OR AN OYO MAN?
Re: Historical Facts About Ilorin And Kwara Yoruba by lawani: 9:33am On Apr 11, 2016
One of the post Afonja ruler of Ilorin was Oba Moma who was from Idi Ape from the Magaji Aare family. He wanted to ally with the British and Ibadan but committed suicide when he was frustrateed by the baloguns, Ajikobi, Gambari and Alanamu in 1895. He and his slave, Ogundolure or something like that. The person who signed the protection agreement with the British was Balogun Ajikobi, a descendant of Alaafin Abiodun. The British respected Oba Moma, saw him as a great man and as a result of that they named a World War one gun carrier after him. Oba Moma Ilorin WW1 gun carrier.

Oba Moma of the Afonja wanted to ally with the British and Ibadan but committed suicide at the end. Balogun Ajikobi signed the protection agreement. Who is then the rightful ruler? That was the debate that the Northern region capitalised on to promote the Sulu Gambari family as Emir. The Sulu Gambari are not Fulani but Hausa descent as the name shows but as the Balogun Fulani stood no chance of being accepted as Emir despite being Yoruba as well though of part Fulani ancestry, the Northern government chose a Gambari descendant to be chief to spite their Yoruba opponents. When Gov Lawal, a member of Afonja became governor, he raised the Magaji Aare to first class, a move reversed by Gov Saraki while the Balogun Ajikobi is brandishing the protection agreement in his custody.

Solution? The Yoruba know Ilorin as Ilorin Afonja but the protection agreement is with the Ajikobi family. So the Ajikobi have more claims. Out of the 6 principal chiefs in Ilorin, 4 are paternally from Yoruba while all are ethnically Yoruba, the masses are 99 percent Yoruba like other Yoruba cities.

The Ajikobi should go to court while the Aare family should be compensated in some way.

We dont need a conference as Yoruba, we need out of Nigeria with our lands and people and the banning of Islam and Christianity on our lands.

We dont need the help of Igbos which is conditioned on making Lagos a no man's land and the present leadership of the Yoruba are conceding this by going to the National assembly to ask for a special status for Lagos. This is sad.

I urge all reasonable Yoruba persons to start agitating for the pull out of our people and lands from Nigeria along with the Bariba who are traditionally allied to the Yoruba, then we propose a merger with Benin and Togo, then delineate the resulting giant of Africa into states.

We need the help of Britain, US, China, Russia, India and all the good people of the world not that of Igbos or Hausas. Nigeria is a failed experiment.

Let Igbos, Hausas and others go and arrange themselves without Yoruba help, the mudslinging and bad mouthing is sad. If Yoruba need help, they know who to ask, not Igbos, Hausas and etc who can not even help themselves.

As for some renegade Ilorin Muslims who may want to be against such an arrangement, you are totally encircled by Jebba, Igbomina, Ibolo, Ekiti and etc who are all Yoruba towns with Obas, then the Bariba. So how possible is it to say you want to prove stubborn? So far it is not possible to find an Ijesha town in the NW, it is also not possible to have a Fulani or Hausa town on the spot where Ilorin is. When somebody is named Gambari, Tapa and etc that person is Yoruba because only Yoruba use those nomenclatures.

Go to Kano, you have hundreds of thousands of indigenes claiming descent from the Yoruba quarters of the city. So no place in the world is 100 percent of anything.

1 Like

Re: Historical Facts About Ilorin And Kwara Yoruba by lawani: 9:08pm On Apr 11, 2016
Who converted the ancestors of the Fulani Gida or town Fulani, people like Othman Dan Fodio and etc to Islam? The answer is Yoruba, Hausa, Bariba, Kanuri and etc Muslims. I believe this will come as a shock to people who see themselves as scholars.
Re: Historical Facts About Ilorin And Kwara Yoruba by Dollyak(f): 12:27am On Apr 23, 2016
Hobashola:
ok. we don hear ooo. I am a full-fledged Ilorin boy and i know that the only Fulani thing in Ilorin is the Emir's turban. even d emir no dey form Fulani man. I have never even heard him or his chiefs speak Fulani. I doubt if they understand the language sef. Meanwhile,people who are not here go dey use pcm for our headache. abeg leave us oooo. we didn't have a choice on what happened centuries ago. And really,what will depicting Ilorin as either Fulani or Yoruba change,eh? abeg,make everybody face better things jare.
If you are a Yoruba then you are a gullible person who has lost his sense of being. How can you be comfortable with being ruled by a fulani? I have read many historical facts on past wars in Nigeria and I can only conclude Kwara people to be a coward, betrayals and shortsighted people. Fools deserve their leaders seems appropriate with you lots especially with saraki. Fools are easily dismissive of their history, same thing i keep telling my African American/British friends about white people.
Re: Historical Facts About Ilorin And Kwara Yoruba by Amoto94(m): 12:41am On Apr 23, 2016
Dollyak:
If you are a Yoruba then you are a gullible person who has lost his sense of being. How can you be comfortable with being ruled by a fulani? I have read many historical facts on past wars in Nigeria and I can only conclude Kwara people to be a coward, betrayals and shortsighted people. Fools deserve their leaders seems appropriate with you lots especially with saraki. Fools are easily dismissive of their history, same thing i keep telling my African American/British friends about white people.
Hatemonger and e-bigot go and find something better to do with your frustrated life instead of fanning the ember of hate across NL. You ought to be promoting love, harmony and peaceful coexistence instead of otherwise.
Re: Historical Facts About Ilorin And Kwara Yoruba by lawani: 12:49am On Apr 23, 2016
Amoto94:
Hatemonger and e-bigot go and find something better to do with your frustrated life instead of fanning the ember of hate across NL. You ought to be promoting love, harmony and peaceful coexistence instead of otherwise.

He is right to say Ilorin should have a proper identity. Ilorins do not refer to their paramount chief as Emir but Oba, Emir is in newspapers. Then Afonja was not a traitor as he did what Lisabi in Egba, the Dahomey and etc did, then Alimi was never Oba in Ilorin. The last Afonja descendant that was Oba in Ilorin was Oba Moma who died in 1895 and Ilorin was signed under British protection by Balogun Ajikobi a descendant of Alaafin Abiodun in 1897. So the description of Ilorin as something not Yoruba is purely political as Ilorin is totally surrounded by towns with Obas.

1 Like

Re: Historical Facts About Ilorin And Kwara Yoruba by Dollyak(f): 1:00am On Apr 23, 2016
Amoto94:
Frustrated life you said grin. When you are treated equally instead of being second class citizens to fulani then come back and talk about the definition of frustrated life. I don't hide my feelings about fulanis and any attempt to liberate Yorubas from fulanis brainwashing is welcome by me. You guys are the ones leading a frustrated life and you are not liberated either. What a shame. Perhaps because I have read enough stories about Yoruba to know we should have been a lot greater than this. Old SW led by awolowo was competing with Egypt in terms of development. Now they are being sucked dry. Massive injustice that kaduna gets more allocation than Oyo state.
Save your preaching for someone else.
Re: Historical Facts About Ilorin And Kwara Yoruba by Dollyak(f): 1:28am On Apr 23, 2016
pazienza:
The loss of Ilorin must be painful to the SW Yorubas, while the Ilorin people themselves, seem not to care, I can relate to the pain of the SW Yorubas, I pray that one day, they will be able to unite the whole of Yoruba speaking people, from Kwara and Kogi, and even the Itsekiris, if they permit.

Nothing is sweeter than for Brothers and sisters to dwell together, I envy monoethnic countries like Germany,Korea and Japan, it must be a great feeling sharing same country with just people from your ethnic language only, you can go to any part of the country and speak your local lect confident that everyone understands you.
This comment is so real. Gosh.
Re: Historical Facts About Ilorin And Kwara Yoruba by lawani: 7:36am On Apr 23, 2016
Ilorin people are Yoruba but nobody is forcing anyone to do anything they dont want to do. They may exist as an independent nation totally surrounded by Jebba, Igbomina, Ekiti all Yoruba groups that have no issues.
Re: Historical Facts About Ilorin And Kwara Yoruba by Amoto94(m): 8:14am On Apr 23, 2016
Dollyak:

Frustrated life you said grin. When you are treated equally instead of being second class citizens to fulani then come back and talk about the definition of frustrated life. I don't hide my feelings about fulanis and any attempt to liberate Yorubas from fulanis brainwashing is welcome by me. You guys are the ones leading a frustrated life and you are not liberated either. What a shame. Perhaps because I have read enough stories about Yoruba to know we should have been a lot greater than this. Old SW led by awolowo was competing with Egypt in terms of development. Now they are being sucked dry. Massive injustice that kaduna gets more allocation than Oyo state.
Save your preaching for someone else.
I'm not a Yoruba or a Fulani mind you but I'm a Nigerian that eschews tribal bigotry. That being said Yorubas in Ilorin are faring better than the ones in some other states. As for SW booming during Awo's era this was before the civil war, after the civil war things changed in quick succession and this continued up on till this day due to short-sightedness of some Nigerian leaders and followers. Fulanis didn't shortchange the Yorubas blame it on the likes of Adedibu, Olubadan, Olu Falae, Bode George, OBJ (seems unfair) and others I can't remember their names

1 Like

Re: Historical Facts About Ilorin And Kwara Yoruba by lawani: 8:42am On Apr 23, 2016
Amoto94:
I'm not a Yoruba or a Fulani mind you but I'm a Nigerian that eschews tribal bigotry. That being said Yorubas in Ilorin are faring better than the ones in some other states. As for SW booming during Awo's era this was before the civil war, after the civil war things changed in quick succession and this continued up on till this day due to short-sightedness of some Nigerian leaders and followers. Fulanis didn't shortchange the Yorubas blame it on the likes of Adedibu, Olubadan, Olu Falae, Bode George, OBJ (seems unfair) and others I can't remember their names

There are no Fulani in Ilorin. No Fulani Jihad ever took Ilorin, Bariba or Nupe south of the Niger. Educate yourself. Only Nupe North of the Niger fell under the Jihad. Yoruba North of the Niger have Obas. Please go and read and stop displaying your ignorance. The Ilorin Emir's name is Gambari which means Hausa and not Fulani, his forebears were Imams. The last Afonja Oba of Ilorin died in 1895 and Ilorin was signed under British protection by a descendant of Alaafin Abiodun. The only Ilorin chief of part Fulani ancestry is the Balogun Fulani and I am not more Yoruba than that chief.
Re: Historical Facts About Ilorin And Kwara Yoruba by Amoto94(m): 8:46am On Apr 23, 2016
lawani:

There are no Fulani in Ilorin. No Fulani Jihad ever took Ilorin, Bariba or Nupe south of the Niger. Educate yourself. Only Nupe North of the Niger fell under the Jihad. Yoruba North of the Niger have Obas. Please go and read and stop displaying your ignorance. The Ilorin Emir's name is Gambari which means Hausa and not Fulani, his forebears were Imams. The last Afonja Oba of Ilorin died in 1895 and Ilorin was signed under British protection by a descendant of Alaafin Abiodun. The only Ilorin chief of part Fulani ancestry is the Balogun Fulani and I am not more Yoruba than that chief.
Did I say Fulani jihad took place in Ilorin? Never! Ilorin is a Yoruba city right from the onset and controlled by Obas
Re: Historical Facts About Ilorin And Kwara Yoruba by lawani: 9:23am On Apr 23, 2016
Amoto94:
Did I say Fulani jihad took place in Ilorin? Never! Ilorin is a Yoruba city right from the onset and controlled by Obas

I had to point that out to you. Some Yoruba were put in the North. A Fulani person was controlling the ruling NPC while the Yoruba controlled the opposition. So the NPC used their influence to instal an Emir in Ilorin since the Governor of the North then was a Muslim Fulani supremacist. He couldnt instal a Yoruba of part Fulani ancestry, so he installed one of part Hausa ancestry to spite his opponents who were Yoruba in the AG. So when Alhaji Mohammed Lawal an Afonja scion became elected Governor of Kwara state, he promoted the Aare Afonja to 1st class to equal the Emir and the move was reversed by Gov Saraki when he became Governor, the Ajikobi family who are custodians of the British protection agreement also remain disgruntled as they see themselves as the rightful Olu of Ilorin.

The problem we have is that of mutual suspicion and lack of cohesion so rather than continue with that, breakup the country into units where they understand themselves and have a uniform culture where interests can be more easily alligned. There are good and bad people everywhere. So let the Hausa Fulani go and manage themselves and allies while the Yoruba, Igbo and etc also go and do thesame.
Re: Historical Facts About Ilorin And Kwara Yoruba by Amoto94(m): 9:25am On Apr 23, 2016
lawani:

I had to point that out to you. Some Yoruba were put in the North. A Fulani person was controlling the ruling NPC while the Yoruba controlled the opposition. So the NPC used their influence to instal an Emir in Ilorin since the Governor of the North then was a Muslim Fulani supremacist. He couldnt instal a Yoruba of part Fulani ancestry, so he installed one of part Hausa ancestry to spite his opponents who were Yoruba in the AG. So when Alhaji Mohammed Lawal an Afonja scion became elected Governor of Kwara state, he promoted the Aare Afonja to 1st class to equal the Emir and the move was reversed by Gov Saraki when he became Governor, the Ajikobi family who are custodians of the British protection agreement also remain disgruntled as they see themselves as the rightful Olu of Ilorin.

The problem we have is that of mutual suspicion and lack of cohesion so rather than continue with that, breakup the country into units where they understand themselves and have a uniform culture where interests can be more easily alligned. There are good and bad people everywhere. So let the Hausa Fulani go and manage themselves and allies while the Yoruba, Igbo and etc also go and do thesame.
Re: Historical Facts About Ilorin And Kwara Yoruba by Amoto94(m): 9:32am On Apr 23, 2016
lawani:

You think merging people with similar cultures to form a country will solve our problems in the absence of justice? Why were there wars between Yorubas with different dialects in the past? Why is South Sudan currently embroiled in civil war? Why is there civil war in Syria despite they being majorly Arabs? Why did Ijaws and Itsekiri fought in Delta State.
My suggestion is for us to work towards having a just and fair society regardless of tribe and religion, instead of disintegration.

1 Like

Re: Historical Facts About Ilorin And Kwara Yoruba by lawani: 10:34am On Apr 23, 2016
Amoto94:
You think merging people with similar cultures to form a country will solve our problems in the absence of justice? Why were there wars between Yorubas with different dialects in the past? Why is South Sudan currently embroiled in civil war? Why is there civil war in Syria despite they being majorly Arabs? Why did Ijaws and Itsekiri fought in Delta State.
My suggestion is for us to work towards having a just and fair society regardless of tribe and religion, instead of disintegration.

You have made a very good observation, a most intelligent one but what language would you suggest be used in such a country and if such a country is a theocracy, how should the God be rendered? There are people already in West Africa whose first or second language is Yoruba who have essentially thesame concept of God and thesame kind of societal organisation as the Yoruba. I believe it is better for such a group to emerge as a nation.

The word Yoruba is new but Ile kaaro o jiire is not new, Ife is not new, the Yoruba language is not new. People defined by any one or more of these are thesame, they dont feel superior to each other or other human beings, they can work together easily. So Yoruba have been one even though they fought themselves in the past, tongue and teeth fight, brothers fight, disagreements are part of the human culture but allignment along the path of language and culture is beautiful and is the best. So far Germans, French, Spanish; Russians and Italians are not one nation, no reason for Nigeria to be a nation, moreso that it has failed. However, West Africa and even the whole globe can be a trading bloc like the EU.
Re: Historical Facts About Ilorin And Kwara Yoruba by Amoto94(m): 1:13pm On Apr 23, 2016
lawani:

You have made a very good observation, a most intelligent one but what language would you suggest be used in such a country and if such a country is a theocracy, how should the God be rendered? There are people already in West Africa whose first or second language is Yoruba who have essentially thesame concept of God and thesame kind of societal organisation as the Yoruba. I believe it is better for such a group to emerge as a nation.

The word Yoruba is new but Ile kaaro o jiire is not new, Ife is not new, the Yoruba language is not new. People defined by any one or more of these are thesame, they dont feel superior to each other or other human beings, they can work together easily. So Yoruba have been one even though they fought themselves in the past, tongue and teeth fight, brothers fight, disagreements are part of the human culture but allignment along the path of language and culture is beautiful and is the best. So far Germans, French, Spanish; Russians and Italians are not one nation, no reason for Nigeria to be a nation, moreso that it has failed. However, West Africa and even the whole globe can be a trading bloc like the EU.
A more workable system to address this problem is reverting back to the system in play during the first republic with some twists. What we presently have is a patronage system. Adopting the EU system won't work as our case is a unique and different one.
Re: Historical Facts About Ilorin And Kwara Yoruba by lawani: 1:40pm On Apr 23, 2016
Amoto94:
A more workable system to address this problem is reverting back to the system in play during the first republic with some twists. What we presently have is a patronage system. Adopting the EU system won't work as our case is a unique and different one.

I am not saying Nigeria should adopt the EU system, I mean for West Africa and possibly the world, Nigeria should be buried since it has failed. Let Igbos, Yoruba, Hausa and etc stand alone or with allies in real nations with African languages in official status used in their parliaments and in schools with English and others, let those viable nations stand alone as sovereign nations and develop their space as neighbours to each other under the moderation of the United Nations.
Re: Historical Facts About Ilorin And Kwara Yoruba by Amoto94(m): 1:55pm On Apr 23, 2016
lawani:

I am not saying Nigeria should adopt the EU system, I mean for West Africa and possibly the world, Nigeria should be buried since it has failed. Let Igbos, Yoruba, Hausa and etc stand alone or with allies in real nations with African languages in official status used in their parliaments and in schools with English and others, let those viable nations stand alone as sovereign nations and develop their space as neighbours to each other under the moderation of the United Nations.
It means redrawing the map of Africa. The idea seems good but remember that majority of people with same culture have been cut off from each other for quite some time now. Another point worthy of note is the influence of powers that be in global arena, will they not rubbish this idea and throw in the trash can?
Re: Historical Facts About Ilorin And Kwara Yoruba by lawani: 2:15pm On Apr 23, 2016
Amoto94:
It means redrawing the map of Africa. The idea seems good but remember that majority of people with same culture have been cut off from each other for quite some time now. Another point worthy of note is the influence of powers that be in global arena, will they not rubbish this idea and throw in the trash can?

The powers that be expect Nigeria to have broken up a long time ago. No real human being is in support of the foolishness going on in Nigeria

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply)

Beautiful Names In Efik/ibibio / Alaafin Of Oyo’s 18 Wives Now Available For Suitors - Oyo Chief / Photos From Wema Bank Old School Day Celebration

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 104
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.