Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,624 members, 7,816,572 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:17 PM

Historical Facts About Ilorin And Kwara Yoruba - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Historical Facts About Ilorin And Kwara Yoruba (101000 Views)

Nigeria Historical Facts: Who Are The Egbas?? / Culture And Historical Background Of Kabba People Of Kogi State / A Brief Historical Origin Of Ibillo Community In Edo State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Historical Facts About Ilorin And Kwara Yoruba by blym4real: 4:11pm On Apr 08, 2015
I rep kwara

1 Like

Re: Historical Facts About Ilorin And Kwara Yoruba by tobtap: 4:12pm On Apr 08, 2015
VickyRotex:

Thank you... I don't know why some people keep calling me fulani undecided
it is ignorance dear....once you explain better,they will understand...cheers
Re: Historical Facts About Ilorin And Kwara Yoruba by chuksmad(m): 4:13pm On Apr 08, 2015
Do you want to learn how to develop website step by step, using dreamweaver on your own?
Yes, on your own, no need for third party to teach you

Then visit www.prislaw.com for more information
Re: Historical Facts About Ilorin And Kwara Yoruba by Yinkame123(m): 4:16pm On Apr 08, 2015
I see no reason why people will twist history to suite there fancy of peddling propaganda. The historic account given by this individual is wrong. Alimi was never an emir in Ilorin please check your historical fact clearly. The first emir of Ilorin was Abdul Salam not Alimi as it was written here. Similarly there was no time Ilorin was under Oyo Afonja only fled after losing a war which according to OYO tradition he ought to commit suicide. Afonja seek refuge in Ilorin which is a town on his own before arrival of Afonja.

2 Likes

Re: Historical Facts About Ilorin And Kwara Yoruba by Nobody: 4:17pm On Apr 08, 2015
VickyRotex:

Iloffa
Ok... Me ilorin

1 Like

Re: Historical Facts About Ilorin And Kwara Yoruba by Dragonking: 4:18pm On Apr 08, 2015
VickyRotex:

the Fulani's conquered your land and because of that they own the place and even you. that's why they call you Fulani. As long as the number one person in kwara is an amir from the Fulani's, you are nothing else but a Fulani whether you like it or not. grin

2 Likes

Re: Historical Facts About Ilorin And Kwara Yoruba by Demmzy15(m): 4:19pm On Apr 08, 2015
Yadoctora:

True.
It does not matter anymire whether the rulers were Fulani or not. Ilorin people and culture depict Yoruba. I don't know what socioeconomic significance the op hopes to derive especially with the mention of the National conference.
I'm the OP grin
Re: Historical Facts About Ilorin And Kwara Yoruba by ahmedolawale: 4:19pm On Apr 08, 2015
crownprince102:
Yeah.... You are right, Ilorin is a town under Oyo empire. Are Ona Kakanfo Afonja (field marshal Afonja) betrayed the Oyo kingdom. That's why a yoruba land of Ilorin is ruled by Emir and Oba.
and another history about to be made by jimi Agbaje promising to make Eze ndigbo to oba Eko status if they can support him to be governor of Lagos

2 Likes

Re: Historical Facts About Ilorin And Kwara Yoruba by anonimi: 4:20pm On Apr 08, 2015
VickyRotex:

The traditional ruler of Ilorin, Emir is fulani, not so

The political leader of the entire Kwara state is Saraki another fulani whose ancestors came from Mali, abi =>

Politicians have failed the country - Olusola Saraki

Sir, some people would call you a Fulani while others would describe you as a Yoruba. Who really are you?

My mother is from Iseyin in Oyo State while my father is from Ilorin in Kwara State. My ancestors originated from Mali about 150 to 200 years ago. They are Fulanis and that is where we got our Fulani connection from. My ancestors settled in Ilorin, preaching Islam. A section of Ilorin came from Gwandu, they were all religious but my people came there as practicing Muslims from Mali with their own Quran. If you look at the real Ilorin people, like Saraki, for example; the culture and their ways share affinity to those of the far Northern Nigeria. That accounts for the difference you observe between us and, particularly, people of the South-West, despite the existence, now, of Yoruba as a common language.

More from: http://web.archive.org/web/20100106042256/http://www.tribune.com.ng/31082009/politics.html

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Historical Facts About Ilorin And Kwara Yoruba by Immortality(m): 4:21pm On Apr 08, 2015
An ICT company, just opening for business and dealing in sales, supply and maintenance of computers and telecommunication equipment, based in Ikeja Lagos requires self-motivated, resilient, creative and energetic staff for immediate employment:
1. MARKETING EXECUTIVES
Requirements:
• Minimum qualification -BSC/HND or OND in any discipline
• Good communication and interpersonal skills
• Not less than 30 years of age
• Ready to resume immediately
• Minimum of Four years cognate experience, ICT environment will be an added advantage.
• Report presentation skills.
• Basic computer appreciation skill
2. OFFICE ASSISTANCE

Requirements:
• Minimum qualification –O’Level
• Must reside around Ikeja
• Good communication and interpersonal skills
• Ready to resume immediately
Qualified candidates, ready to start up with the company, should send their detailed resume with their name and Position applied for as the subject to the following email address: abiolondon@yahoo.com
Re: Historical Facts About Ilorin And Kwara Yoruba by Demmzy15(m): 4:21pm On Apr 08, 2015
lekahm:

BUT WHY DON'T WE HAVE HAUSA'S IN KWARA NOW?
We have, but they're basically immigrants.
Re: Historical Facts About Ilorin And Kwara Yoruba by Nobody: 4:22pm On Apr 08, 2015
Demmzy15:

I'm the OP grin

Then explain the significance of this to the Ilorin people and Nigerians as a whole
Re: Historical Facts About Ilorin And Kwara Yoruba by blym4real: 4:23pm On Apr 08, 2015
VickyRotex:

Iloffa
Wow. Where exactly in Iloffa? Egosi,Imode and Iloffa
Re: Historical Facts About Ilorin And Kwara Yoruba by blym4real: 4:27pm On Apr 08, 2015
Dragonking:

the Fulani's conquered your land and because of that they own the place and even you. that's why they call you Fulani. As long as the number one person in kwara is an amir from the Fulani's, you are nothing else but a Fulani whether you like it or not. grin
Ilorin is only a town/city in kwara. I am from kwara state but not from Ilorin.

1 Like

Re: Historical Facts About Ilorin And Kwara Yoruba by Vyolet(f): 4:27pm On Apr 08, 2015
Everyone writes history that suit his personal agenda.

Unless you were alive during this era,then you have no story to tell but lies.

1 Like

Re: Historical Facts About Ilorin And Kwara Yoruba by Demmzy15(m): 4:27pm On Apr 08, 2015
Yadoctora:

Then explain the significance of this to the Ilorin people and Nigerians as a whole
I was trying to clear the misconceptions of some tribal bigots about Islam, Fulanis and the kwara people! grin
Re: Historical Facts About Ilorin And Kwara Yoruba by akinsuraj(m): 4:28pm On Apr 08, 2015
Afonja to a large estent was a selfish man as a Basle u must give some return to ur oba,now
Re: Historical Facts About Ilorin And Kwara Yoruba by Clefcentfelix(m): 4:29pm On Apr 08, 2015
Proudly Igbomina!
Re: Historical Facts About Ilorin And Kwara Yoruba by Nobody: 4:31pm On Apr 08, 2015
Hehe my town kiss I don't why people do say Alimi betrayed Afoja undecided
BTW,olukenzo come and see o.
Re: Historical Facts About Ilorin And Kwara Yoruba by omonnakoda: 4:32pm On Apr 08, 2015
Deltagiant:
Ok, but the bottom line is that Ilorin was taken by force by a Fulani led/inspired army. And that the Yoruba mainstream tried to recapture it and failed. And that Ilorin today is an officially Fulani emirate. And that the Fulani wouldn't relinquish Ilorin without a bloody fight as it is their nearest range to the sea.
There never was a Yoruba mainstream. That is a creation of the British and Nigeria. The Ilorin issue is an OYO issue. Nothing to do with Ondo or Ekiti,Ijebus or Egbas who never identified themselves as "Yoruba" before the British came. If there was no Nigeria there would be no YORUBA or only the OYOS would bear that title

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Historical Facts About Ilorin And Kwara Yoruba by blym4real: 4:32pm On Apr 08, 2015
Clefcentfelix:
Proudly Igbomina!

where in kwara?
Re: Historical Facts About Ilorin And Kwara Yoruba by VickyRotex(f): 4:33pm On Apr 08, 2015
anonimi:

The traditional ruler of Ilorin, Emir is fulani, not so

The political leader of the entire Kwara state is Saraki another fulani whose ancestors came from Mali, abi =>

Ilorin is a town in Kwara, I'm not from Ilorin... Besides, irrespective of the history, I'm proudly Kwarite grin grin

1 Like

Re: Historical Facts About Ilorin And Kwara Yoruba by Omexonomy: 4:33pm On Apr 08, 2015
Demmzy15:

you want to re write history? A slave will allways be slave
Re: Historical Facts About Ilorin And Kwara Yoruba by Demmzy15(m): 4:34pm On Apr 08, 2015
Proudly Igbomina! grin
Re: Historical Facts About Ilorin And Kwara Yoruba by sugarkemi(m): 4:34pm On Apr 08, 2015

1 Like

Re: Historical Facts About Ilorin And Kwara Yoruba by Demmzy15(m): 4:36pm On Apr 08, 2015
Omexonomy:
you want to re write history? A slave will allways be slave
Mchwww!! *continues smoking his weed*

Re: Historical Facts About Ilorin And Kwara Yoruba by VickyRotex(f): 4:36pm On Apr 08, 2015
Dragonking:

embarassed undecided embarassed
As long as I know am not fulani, and I dont look like one.... tongue Btw, Ilorin is a town in Kwara, and I'm not from ilorin tongue
Re: Historical Facts About Ilorin And Kwara Yoruba by blym4real: 4:36pm On Apr 08, 2015
mzteemarh:
Hehe my town kiss I don't why people do say Alimi betrayed Afoja undecided
BTW,olukenzo come and see o.
Are you from Ilorin?

What should it be called if not betrayal.
Re: Historical Facts About Ilorin And Kwara Yoruba by Demmzy15(m): 4:37pm On Apr 08, 2015
sugarkemi:
its high time yoruba kwara should fight for igbomina state.if ekiti kwara,irepodun,ifelodun,oke ero,oyun and offa can come 2geda.
I totally agree, we the Igbomina, ekiti, ofa, et al should all come together! cool
Re: Historical Facts About Ilorin And Kwara Yoruba by VickyRotex(f): 4:38pm On Apr 08, 2015
tobtap:

it is ignorance dear....once you explain better,they will understand...cheers

Thank you jare... smiley

Some will never understand. undecided
Re: Historical Facts About Ilorin And Kwara Yoruba by omonnakoda: 4:38pm On Apr 08, 2015
Deltagiant:
Ok, but the bottom line is that Ilorin was taken by force by a Fulani led/inspired army. And that the Yoruba mainstream tried to recapture it and failed. And that Ilorin today is an officially Fulani emirate. And that the Fulani wouldn't relinquish Ilorin without a bloody fight as it is their nearest range to the sea.
There never was a Yoruba mainstream. That is a creation of the British and Nigeria. The Ilorin issue is an OYO issue. Nothing to do with Ondo or Ekiti,Ijebus or Egbas who never identified themselves as "Yoruba" before the British came. If there was no Nigeria there would be no YORUBA or only the OYOS would bear that title. In those days if Oyo was in trouble there would be celebration in Abeokuta and the question of solidarity would not arise
In most places where they have Kings the kings generally are strangers of sorts. Much as Yorubas would never admit it ,it is probable that Oduduwa came from Benin. The English Royal family are not of Anglo-Saxon origin but French and German. So there s nothing new there. Kings either come from outside or from "heaven" and are rarely home- based

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

Beautiful Names In Efik/ibibio / Alaafin Of Oyo’s 18 Wives Now Available For Suitors - Oyo Chief / Photos From Wema Bank Old School Day Celebration

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.