Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,625 members, 7,816,574 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:20 PM

APGA Fires Back: Lagos Is A Colonial Settlement, Not A Yoruba Land. - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / APGA Fires Back: Lagos Is A Colonial Settlement, Not A Yoruba Land. (38559 Views)

Recall Of Suspended Judges: NJC Fires Back, Says Presidency Lied To Nigerians / Bring Back Lagos – Calabar Rail Project---vanguard / Hahaha! See What A Colonial Oyibo Writer Said About ''Eboes'' (Igbo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (20) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: APGA Fires Back: Lagos Is A Colonial Settlement, Not A Yoruba Land. by stanech: 5:03pm On Apr 08, 2015
IVORY2009:

The HRH Obi of Lagos State. cheesy cheesy cheesy

talk about dominating we will make sure they all have Igbo names
Re: APGA Fires Back: Lagos Is A Colonial Settlement, Not A Yoruba Land. by Boss13: 5:04pm On Apr 08, 2015
oluwafemi113:

Yes I'm from Imo.. you sound like Mugu undecided

You are not from Lagos. Stop claiming it. The original Lagosians all have English last names. That is the difference because the white men made them slaves and converted their last name. Fool coming to claim Lagosian when he is from Ondo state

4 Likes

Re: APGA Fires Back: Lagos Is A Colonial Settlement, Not A Yoruba Land. by sylaz(m): 5:05pm On Apr 08, 2015
I see myself liking random various posts of ethnic hate something I wouldn't have done last year. I'm beginning to have unbridled hate for this retards. You can keep this up and call it jealousy of your 'business acumen' or whatever, just know that the nazis killed so much jews because some of their neighbours ratted on them out of jealousy. Moral lesson is it doesn't matter why it started, the end will be ugly.

6 Likes

Re: APGA Fires Back: Lagos Is A Colonial Settlement, Not A Yoruba Land. by boladeen(m): 5:07pm On Apr 08, 2015
Boss13:

No be Igbos for Lagos go fight you. Na those mad ones from Onitsha and Aba. Don't be myopic my dear.
Odee mak we see weda ondo ppl no go ambush dem. Oponu I wonda aw SW now becomes SS/SE

2 Likes

Re: APGA Fires Back: Lagos Is A Colonial Settlement, Not A Yoruba Land. by Boss13: 5:08pm On Apr 08, 2015
Lagos means "lakes" in Portuguese, the language of first European-settlers known to visit the settlement,then already inhabited by the Awori people, in 1472.[1] From the first contacts with the region until the early 20th century, another Portuguese name for the city that was interchangeably used was Onim,[2] finally abandonned in favor of Lagos.

Prior to Lagos being adopted, the settlement was called Eko by its Kingdom of Benin conquerors, which stems from either Oko (Yoruba: "cassava farm"wink or Eko ("war camp"wink.

READ UP FOOLS.

1 Like

Re: APGA Fires Back: Lagos Is A Colonial Settlement, Not A Yoruba Land. by oluwabreezy: 5:08pm On Apr 08, 2015
Boss13:

Original settlers - The Epe people and the Benins. You should likewise note that the land was never and I repeat NEVER transferred back to the original settlers. The British developed its colony, expanded it, created Nigeria. Nigeria had its independence and due to military fear of retaliatory coup resettled to Abuja. Where are the noise makers when the military were carrying out their atrocities. Were they able to say this is our land? Where was the Oba of Lagos during the military regime? Democracy returned back in 1999 and the yorubas, especially the migrants and not the original settlers, came out of their hidings to say Lagos is their land. Lagos, a conquered land, a former capital, a cosmopolitan city - your land. You are smoking OMO DETERGENT
VERY SOON YOU THE TRUE AND MAKE SURE U KEEP THAT YOUR FRUSTRATED STORY WHEN THEY COME AROUND......#slowpoke

1 Like

Re: APGA Fires Back: Lagos Is A Colonial Settlement, Not A Yoruba Land. by stanech: 5:08pm On Apr 08, 2015
sylaz:
I see myself liking random various posts of ethnic hate something I wouldn't have done last year. I'm beginning to have unbridled hate for this retards. You can keep this up and call it jealousy of your 'business acumen' or whatever, just know that the nazis killed so much jews because some of their neighbours ratted on them out of jealousy. Moral lesson is it doesn't matter why it started, the end will be ugly.

yorubas can't do nothing if na Hausa or Edo dey yarn. now no qualms
Re: APGA Fires Back: Lagos Is A Colonial Settlement, Not A Yoruba Land. by Boss13: 5:08pm On Apr 08, 2015
Founding of Lagos[edit]
According to the oral history of Lagos, at some point around 1300-1400 CE, the Oba (King) of the Benin Empire - who used to send trade expeditions to Ghana, where spices were traded - heard from one of his traders complaints about the way she was being treated by the Awori who lived in the area of current day Lagos. The Oba of Benin then sent a trade expedition by sea to engage with the Awori people, who nonetheless declined to engage and attacked the mission sent by Benin.

Upon hearing this as the mission returned to Benin City, the Oba of Benin commanded the assembling of a war expedition, led by Ado, a Benin Prince, which headed to the settlement of the Awori (current-day Lagos; then called Eko by the Benin people) and demanded an explanation.

On getting there, Ado and his army were more than well received - the Awori from Lagos asked Benin Prince Ado to stay there and become their leader. Ado agreed, on the condition that they surrendered their sovereignty to the Oba of Benin, to which the Awori people of Lagos agreed.

Upon hearing this, the Oba of Benin gave his permission for Prince Ado and the expedition to remain in Eko with the Awori. The Oba of Benin later sent some of his chiefs, including the Eletu Odibo, Obanikoro and others, to assist Ado in the running of Eko.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Lagos

2 Likes

Re: APGA Fires Back: Lagos Is A Colonial Settlement, Not A Yoruba Land. by stanech: 5:09pm On Apr 08, 2015
na only internet una dey make mouth
Re: APGA Fires Back: Lagos Is A Colonial Settlement, Not A Yoruba Land. by Boss13: 5:11pm On Apr 08, 2015
oluwabreezy:

VERY SOON YOU THE TRUE AND MAKE SURE U KEEP THAT YOUR FRUSTRATED STORY WHEN THEY COME AROUND......#slowpoke

FVVVCK you. I know more Lagos history than you do. Give me your last name and I will paste your ancestry tree here and prove you are no Lagosian original settler. See fool wan claim conquered land. Lagos has been a conquered land. First conquered by the Benins and later on the British.

6 Likes

Re: APGA Fires Back: Lagos Is A Colonial Settlement, Not A Yoruba Land. by meforyou1(m): 5:12pm On Apr 08, 2015
Lagos, named by freed Brazilian slaves, Campos and Coker, and developed by white man and igbos, has never been, and will never be a yoruba land. It is no man's land. Tell Mr Akiolu that I said so

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: APGA Fires Back: Lagos Is A Colonial Settlement, Not A Yoruba Land. by Kingspin(m): 5:13pm On Apr 08, 2015
Horllamideh:

Jimi is not an Igbo man which makes me wonder why he is using the Oba's statement to whip up sentiments from the igbo just to get their votes.
The same sentiment that apc is using to incite Yorubas againt Agbaje. They making it look the man no be yoruba just becos he is not in APC camp.

1 Like

Re: APGA Fires Back: Lagos Is A Colonial Settlement, Not A Yoruba Land. by cobratail: 5:14pm On Apr 08, 2015
[s]
Boss13:

Lagos is a conquered land. It is no-man's land. We all migrated into Lagos. The original settlers are dead and long gone. You can ask the British that. Eko was an extension of the Benin empire. You guys cannot continue to threaten bona fide Nigeria citizens. Mek I see one useless yoruba tout coming to tell me nonsense, I shoot you down for trespassing and loitering. Nonsense
[/s]

You are just blabbing, i dont take nonentities that make mouth online serious. Go to the Obas palace and tell him all these jargons. You are free.

1 Like

Re: APGA Fires Back: Lagos Is A Colonial Settlement, Not A Yoruba Land. by bamidele029: 5:14pm On Apr 08, 2015
Kingspin:
The same sentiment that apc is using to incite Yorubas againt Agbaje. They making it look the man no be yoruba just becos he is not in APC camp.

Look at what Jimi has been sharing around and tell me who is inciting who

1 Like

Re: APGA Fires Back: Lagos Is A Colonial Settlement, Not A Yoruba Land. by Boss13: 5:14pm On Apr 08, 2015
What is so annoying about this is that it is the migrated yorubas that are making noise. Migrants from Ondo, Oyo, Ekiti, Kwara etc are the ones bragging about Lagos. Ibo people make una no listen to them, na so them dey do - noise makers.

4 Likes

Re: APGA Fires Back: Lagos Is A Colonial Settlement, Not A Yoruba Land. by boladeen(m): 5:14pm On Apr 08, 2015
Lagos was originally inhabited by the Awori subgroup of the Yoruba people. Under the leadership of the Oloye Olofin, the Awori moved
to an island now called Iddo and then to the
larger Lagos Island. In the 15th century, the Awori settlement was conquered by the Benin Empire and the island became a Benin war-camp called "Eko" under Oba Orhogba, the Oba of Benin at the time. The Yoruba still use the name Eko to refer to Lagos.
#SAYNOTOGREEDYIGBO

7 Likes

Re: APGA Fires Back: Lagos Is A Colonial Settlement, Not A Yoruba Land. by sylaz(m): 5:15pm On Apr 08, 2015
stanech:

yorubas can't do nothing if na Hausa or Edo dey yarn. now no qualms
don't even comprehend whatever tf you're trying to say but I'll guess it's one of those retarded 'coward' bullshvt. You think only the people carrying cutlasses are involved in pogroms? Just me pointing out every known igbo house in my environment then I have successfully carried out in a cleansing. Be smart
Re: APGA Fires Back: Lagos Is A Colonial Settlement, Not A Yoruba Land. by meforyou1(m): 5:16pm On Apr 08, 2015
Dharniel:
go tel that to those who fought for the independence of lagos...
When in the history of the black race has there ever been a fight for the independence of lagos? State names and when please

1 Like

Re: APGA Fires Back: Lagos Is A Colonial Settlement, Not A Yoruba Land. by T8ksy(m): 5:16pm On Apr 08, 2015
gbosaa:

The personality of Akiolu was attacked when he erred and not the generality of Yoruba people.

Uba is campaigning vigorously, APGA chieftain has made his statement but you lot would not criticise their statements or actions but rather, you focus your bad energy on all Igbos.

Don't burst your heart vessels.

I know the concept of respect is alien in your culture but in mine , we don't joke with it. Even if our Oba erred in his auterance ( which is still open to individual interpretation), we certainly would not be silent seeing how you ibos have totally shred him to pieces. We will rather punish our recalcitrant child than leave it to our neighbours to do.

Am not bursting any vessels in fact, am grinning from ear to ear knowing that I have finally be vindicated! I have always maintained that you ibos will eventually "climb your tree beyond its leaves" as par our r/ship simply 'cause you lot just can't help yourselves . And when you finally get that which you have been foolishly seeking, then you resort to your typical victim mode.

This was exactly how you ibos incurred the northerners wrath and now you want to add another major group''s ( in the country) -yorubas, to the fold.

Very smart.......Indeed!

1 Like

Re: APGA Fires Back: Lagos Is A Colonial Settlement, Not A Yoruba Land. by Boss13: 5:17pm On Apr 08, 2015
cobratail:
[s][/s]

You are just blabbing, i dont take nonentities that make mouth online serious. Go to the Obas palace and tell him all these jargons. You are free.

Your oba was a makeshift by the British, a jelly clown to calm jittery nerves and consolidate British rule. That was one form used to maintain peace and order by the British. How come you do not know this and you are a Lagosian. Oh I forgot, you migrated too.

Go and ask that Oba questions and if he is honest, he will tell you. If there is anybody to lay claim to Lagos, is the Benins. Fools wake up and smell the coffee.

4 Likes

Re: APGA Fires Back: Lagos Is A Colonial Settlement, Not A Yoruba Land. by cyril83(m): 5:17pm On Apr 08, 2015
Kingspin:
But we have Yorubas that has become indigene in London and other European countries. As a matter of fact they have nationalize there.. It not our fault that u guys cant leave ur father's house. Ur weakness is another man opportunity. U have to live with that moreover, u cannot be good in everything. But, i know that Nigeria will continue getting frustration until we talk on a round table.

You can be a citizen in the uk but you can never rule over them, obama is a black american president in the US and blacks never messed up nor claim ownership.

Let igbo man becomes lagos state governor and see how everything will turn drastically against yorubas.

Greedy fellow.

1 Like

Re: APGA Fires Back: Lagos Is A Colonial Settlement, Not A Yoruba Land. by luvmijeje(f): 5:21pm On Apr 08, 2015
Boss13:

FVVVCK you. I know more Lagos history than you do. Give me your last name and I will paste your ancestry tree here and prove you are no Lagosian original settler. See fool wan claim conquered land. Lagos has been a conquered land. First conquered by the Benins and later on the British.

Keep shut! What foolish history do you know? History that you are lifting from Wikipedia..... Who the hell pounded Yam for you and tells you soup is not difficult to get? You guys are crossing your boundary.

7 Likes

Re: APGA Fires Back: Lagos Is A Colonial Settlement, Not A Yoruba Land. by Boss13: 5:22pm On Apr 08, 2015
oluwabreezy:

Oh Bro did I pinch a nerve. Damn! you feel pained. Of course you should because there is no damn thing you can do about it.
Re: APGA Fires Back: Lagos Is A Colonial Settlement, Not A Yoruba Land. by cobratail: 5:22pm On Apr 08, 2015
[s]
Boss13:

Your oba was a makeshift by the British, a jelly clown to calm jittery nerves and consolidate British rule. That was one form used to maintain peace and order by the British. How come you do not know this and you are a Lagosian. Oh I forgot, you migrated too.

Go and ask that Oba questions and if he is honest, he will tell you. If there is anybody to lay claim to Lagos, is the Benins. Fools wake up and smell the coffee.
[/s]

Fool, go to his palace to tell him those jargons. You are just crying and talking to yourself, his palace is easy to locate. You can go there anytime to challenge him instead of posting crap on nairaland.
Re: APGA Fires Back: Lagos Is A Colonial Settlement, Not A Yoruba Land. by oodubanjo: 5:23pm On Apr 08, 2015
Yoruba people should wake up and think, this is a future envisaged problems. Either you like it or not the problem Agbaje caused will definitely come up one day.

5 Likes

Re: APGA Fires Back: Lagos Is A Colonial Settlement, Not A Yoruba Land. by Boss13: 5:23pm On Apr 08, 2015
luvmijeje:

Keep shut! What foolish history do you know? History that you are lifting from Wikipedia..... Who the hell pounded Yam for you and tells you soup is not difficult to get? You guys are crossing your boundary.

Oh do you have a different history story for us. We are listening and if you don't go FVVCK yourself.

1 Like

Re: APGA Fires Back: Lagos Is A Colonial Settlement, Not A Yoruba Land. by oluwafemi113(m): 5:25pm On Apr 08, 2015
Boss13:

You are not from Lagos. Stop claiming it. The original Lagosians all have English last names. That is the difference because the white men made them slaves and converted their last name. Fool coming to claim Lagosian when he is from Ondo state

Dude how are you sure I don't have any English name if this is all what you can point to?

Boss13:

People like you makes me hate democracy.
Re: APGA Fires Back: Lagos Is A Colonial Settlement, Not A Yoruba Land. by Boss13: 5:25pm On Apr 08, 2015
cobratail:
[s][/s]

Fool, go to his palace to tell him those jargons. You are just crying and talking to yourself, his palace is easy to locate. You can go there anytime to challenge him instead of posting crap on nairaland.

He knows that already. He even visited the Oba of Benin to acknowledge the rightful owners of Lagos. I guess you were still a child then because it was covered very well by media houses. All these small children of yesterday coming out to say shit on stories their drunk parents told them.

2 Likes

Re: APGA Fires Back: Lagos Is A Colonial Settlement, Not A Yoruba Land. by stanech: 5:25pm On Apr 08, 2015
sylaz:
don't even comprehend whatever tf you're trying to say but I'll guess it's one of those retarded 'coward' bullshvt. You think only the people carrying cutlasses are involved in pogroms? Just me pointing out every known igbo house in my environment then I have successfully carried out in a cleansing. Be smart

back mouth you dey I no know Yoruba again?
Re: APGA Fires Back: Lagos Is A Colonial Settlement, Not A Yoruba Land. by aresa: 5:26pm On Apr 08, 2015
This is the ultimate insult, abuse and disrespect. Wby are these people so crude, so crass, thoughtless and anti social? Talk about self destructive people.

3 Likes

Re: APGA Fires Back: Lagos Is A Colonial Settlement, Not A Yoruba Land. by sylaz(m): 5:29pm On Apr 08, 2015
stanech:

back mouth you dey I no know Yoruba again?
call it jealousy all you like, it won't matter what started what when it ends. Goodluck.
Re: APGA Fires Back: Lagos Is A Colonial Settlement, Not A Yoruba Land. by Kingspin(m): 5:29pm On Apr 08, 2015
bamidele029:

Look at what Jimi has been sharing around and tell me who is inciting who

what is wrong with that? Is that not campaign and didnt buhari came down to rivers state to seek for their votes. That is segment in campaign.. What apc are doing now is just to incite Yorubas agains Agbaje, who is not even an Ibo man.. U heard Buhari and Tinubu saying the ibos should vote for their govship candidate and forget the comment from Oba that he is not speaking for APC. Now whats wrong if Abgaje seek the votes of ibos in Lagos? The same politics they played at the centre. People did to wise up and stand for what they believe.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (20) (Reply)

Femi Fani-kayode's Reacts To Supreme Court Ruling Upholding Makarfi-Led PDP / Hausa, Fulani Flee Attacks From Taraba Militia / Pdp’s ‘coffin’ Still In Police Custody

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.