Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,491 members, 7,819,785 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:20 PM

Xenophobia: MTN Nigeria Warns Of 6,000 Job Losses - Business (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Xenophobia: MTN Nigeria Warns Of 6,000 Job Losses (70891 Views)

Naira To Reverse Losses This Week, Banks To Process FX Transactions Within 24hrs / 'MMM Is A Fraudulent Scheme' - CBN Warns Nigerians, Calls It "Wonder Bank" / Xenophobia: Mtn's Blackmail (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Xenophobia: MTN Nigeria Warns Of 6,000 Job Losses by eaglechild: 9:02am On Apr 21, 2015
kenobi007:
All of you here casting mtn are all bunch of hypocrites. Keep deceiving urslf. If you or ur brother,wife,or any member of either ur nuclear or extended family works with mtn nigeria, will u come out and pray for them to lose their jobs? If this 6000 nigerians ( dnt forget dey are nigerians not south africans) will it stop the xenophobia attacks? Some one was talking about mtn warning their government this just shows how uninformed u are. Who says the sa government is in support of this, and who says that mtn has not bn kicking against it. (#SayNoToXenophobia). the mtn u guys are even attacking is practically a nigerian company. Forget the origin. A nigerian CEO, just 12 expatriate which I think makes up just 1% of the companies workforce with 99% nigerians. Be reasonable, this is no threat from mtn, the man is just saying the possible outcome should nigerians pour out their rage on its company. We should seek solution and stop using our hand to dig our own grave.
Thanks.

A very objective assessment.
Re: Xenophobia: MTN Nigeria Warns Of 6,000 Job Losses by ireke(m): 9:04am On Apr 21, 2015
I nor sabi book o. I was a small boy when BP (British Petroleum) was nationalized and changed to AP and heaven did not fall. So what will happen if South African interests in Nigeria are nationalized? At least, they can go back home and employ their citizens and ensure they do not employ any foreigner

1 Like

Re: Xenophobia: MTN Nigeria Warns Of 6,000 Job Losses by NightHawke: 9:04am On Apr 21, 2015
MTN is this regard just wants to protect their interest. I do not support destroying their facilities but adoption of other means of protest. Beyond the attacks in SA MTN has since stopped been my preferred network.
Unexplainable airtime deductions.
Charges for promos
Ring back tunes i never subscribed to
Charges for internet services not subscribed to(This one they were robbing me of N100 daily until there was these sudden N1000 naira deduction then and had to go their office. I waited in their office until the reversal was made)

I think the following forms of protest may suffice for now:

1. We the people can chose not to recharge our MTN lines for a Week
2. Refrain from buying MTN branded products and more

Their are alternatives to MTN services as against DSTV but as soon as more satellite companies enter the business the force of supply and demand with quality programing will be key.

Time will surely tell.

2 Likes

Re: Xenophobia: MTN Nigeria Warns Of 6,000 Job Losses by obinto: 9:04am On Apr 21, 2015
This is how a responsible coporate body responds to a grave and disturbing human disaster problem in their home country? Threatening its customers? Only in africa. If it was in the US, Mtn would be immersed in the most vigorous PR activity demonstrating more social rresponsibility and human relations.MTN is telling Nigerians they would not mind going out of business in nigeria? Threatening Nigerians with job losses? With the mind boggling profits and rip off tariffs which are perhaps much higher than in SA, they have the indecency to condemn Nigerians rightly outraged about the horrible events in SA?
Let Mtn be aware that there are other companies waiting to step in and absorb a good proportion of th ose endangered workers. Pls what are the other companies doing? O boy this is a rare opportunity to seize some market share from MTN. Start commercials condemning xenophobia with subtle hints at MTN and offer irresistible bonuses to switch over. Give me this project to handle and I will hurt MTN big time

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Xenophobia: MTN Nigeria Warns Of 6,000 Job Losses by eaglechild: 9:06am On Apr 21, 2015
NightHawke:
MTN is this regard just wants to protect their interest. I do not support destroying their facilities but adoption of other means of protest. Beyond the attacks in SA MTN has since stopped been my preferred network.
Unexplainable airtime deductions.
Charges for promos
Ring back tunes i never subscribed to
Charges for internet services not subscribed to(This one they were robbing me of N100 daily until there was these sudden N1000 naira deduction then and had to go their office. I waited in their office until the reversal was made)

I think the following forms of protest may suffice for now:

1. We the people can chose not to recharge our MTN lines for a Week
2. Refrain from buying MTN branded products and more

Their are alternatives to MTN services as against DSTV but as soon as more satellite companies enter the business the force of supply and demand with quality programing will be key.

Time will surely tell.
Very civil unlike so many posters before you calling for violence.
Re: Xenophobia: MTN Nigeria Warns Of 6,000 Job Losses by ernieboy(m): 9:07am On Apr 21, 2015
fitzmayowa:

Mike ipoki is the current CEO of mtn nigeria, so mtn nigeria is under a nigerian...
But not owned by a Nigerian. Where do u think all the billions they make in profits go to?
Re: Xenophobia: MTN Nigeria Warns Of 6,000 Job Losses by silvernus0: 9:14am On Apr 21, 2015
;\'.
;
;
;
;CHOAI SEE TREAT SHA , THIS WE GOVERNMENT WEEK DIE , SOME1 SHLD TEL DAT MAN TO SHUT TH FK UP THEIR ECONOMY AND INVESTMEMENT WILL LOSE MORE IF MTN IS SHORT IN NIGERIA.
Re: Xenophobia: MTN Nigeria Warns Of 6,000 Job Losses by anigold(m): 9:16am On Apr 21, 2015
vandalZA:
don't be a fo*l MTN operates in more than 30 countries, so you must know MTN closing in Nigeria won't harm their business....it will only put 500 600 Nigerian employees on hunger.

no sir MTN operates in all the countries... mtcheew..

when they lose 48% of their revenue they will understand that NIGERIAN MARKET was their backbone...
Re: Xenophobia: MTN Nigeria Warns Of 6,000 Job Losses by Sweetguy25: 9:19am On Apr 21, 2015
nationwide1:
Sweet guy, if your relative(s) was / involved, would sing in this tune?

Yes. I have relatives in South Africa.
Re: Xenophobia: MTN Nigeria Warns Of 6,000 Job Losses by Kelvinprinzyy(m): 9:20am On Apr 21, 2015
WHAT HE IS SAYIN IS TOTAL RUBBISH,IF MTN CLOSES DOWN OTHER TELECOMMUNICATION COMPANIES WOULD PICK UP ND THAT MEANS MORE JOBS AS WELL,ABEG GI

1 Like

Re: Xenophobia: MTN Nigeria Warns Of 6,000 Job Losses by Sweetguy25: 9:21am On Apr 21, 2015
blakky97:

if there was a nigerian telecommunication company in s.a; by now it would have been reduced to its trellises. im not supporting that any violent action be taken? but it takes someone who did not see any picture or video of the killings and maiming that the so called xenophobia brought in its wake; to take such a firm standing against boycott as a form of protest. this is a struggle to force the s.a government into taking an action that can at east pacify the people who lost their loved ones in the attack.
besides, the statement of this Goodluck of a person sounds more of a threat than a solidarity speech to me. he only forgot to add that our darling mtn; employer of 2 million nigerians; saver of the Nigerian economy from crashing, can be nationalised and made to function in the same capacity without anybody necessarily been thrown on the streets.

My Friend, MTN is not the south african government. If you want to protest, go to the south african embassy and protest not MTN offices.

1 Like

Re: Xenophobia: MTN Nigeria Warns Of 6,000 Job Losses by nonjebose(m): 9:22am On Apr 21, 2015
So pathetic. In as much as nigerians are very civil in matters like this,his statement falls a bit short of a threat. If they close shop,other capitalist hawks will gladly take up their space. They will come back begging. How much are they making in other african countries? They have a subscriber base of about 32 million in Nigeria six yrs ago. Nigeria remains her biggest single source of profit.

1 Like

Re: Xenophobia: MTN Nigeria Warns Of 6,000 Job Losses by igwedaboss(m): 9:23am On Apr 21, 2015
chuksmarvin:

So what?...our economy benefits immensely from the relationship and until we can do something about it...we are handicapped!.
If the owners arent nigerians, doesn't mean we re not making a living off them as well.
we are that's the whole point. People are just been sentimental. FG can't make any move that would lead to people losing their jobs even for dstv as well. South Africans are just been lazy it is their govt that should work inputting them in order or take FG should take other drastic measure rather than folks losing their jobs

1 Like

Re: Xenophobia: MTN Nigeria Warns Of 6,000 Job Losses by Sweetguy25: 9:24am On Apr 21, 2015
amywonda:
I am sure u are a staff there, if Nigerians loose 6000, jobs, they would loose more than 30% of their profits, plus another company would most likely take over their assets and mire than half the jobs would be salvaged

It is costlier for 6000 people to lose their jobs than for MTN to lose profits. It is not as easy as you're making it sound, MTN Nigeria won't just leave their businesses at no cost for another company to take over. Besides, it was Nigerians that brought MTN to Nigeria.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Xenophobia: MTN Nigeria Warns Of 6,000 Job Losses by nonjebose(m): 9:26am On Apr 21, 2015
Sweetguy25:

My Friend, MTN is not the south african government. If you want to protest, go to the south african embassy and protest not MTN offices.
Same way the SA people protested to their govt instead of targeting law abiding foreign biz owners

1 Like

Re: Xenophobia: MTN Nigeria Warns Of 6,000 Job Losses by asha01: 9:26am On Apr 21, 2015
fitzmayowa:

Mike ipoki is the current CEO of mtn nigeria, so mtn nigeria is under a nigerian...
A Nigerian being CEO does not make MTN a Nigerian own company.

1 Like

Re: Xenophobia: MTN Nigeria Warns Of 6,000 Job Losses by mikolo80: 9:29am On Apr 21, 2015
medar:
He is right but he should have presented that better. He made it sound like Nigeria needs MTN more than it needs Nigerians. All he said is how much problem the closure of the company would bring to Nigeria. He sounded as if the company is running a charity organisation in Nigeria, as if they are not reaping us off.
I believe in a diplomatic approach to ending the xenophobic attacks but all south Africans should stand up to say no to this barbaric acts of their people.
personally id like to see them run out of town but Remembering 22 people died looking for job that 5million people applied. Make we no fool ourself na us need them pass abi na glo and airtel customer service una wan make dem torture una.
Re: Xenophobia: MTN Nigeria Warns Of 6,000 Job Losses by Laid2001: 9:31am On Apr 21, 2015
Does it belong to Mike?
If Xenophobia continues in SA, Nigerian Government will force MTN to quit and sell off its interest in Nigeria!. There use to be Econet,Vodafone before now! MTN changing to Orange or AT$T is not out of place!!

fitzmayowa:

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Xenophobia: MTN Nigeria Warns Of 6,000 Job Losses by Laid2001: 9:33am On Apr 21, 2015
My dear if there is no DSTV, there will be another company buying it over in Nigeria and EPL will surely want the money from Nigeria and hence will give right to one of the available companies!!.
There are plenty contries without DSTV as a provider, yet they still watch there football live!!

mikolo80:
personally id like to see them run out of town but Remembering 22 people died looking for job that 5million people applied. Make we no fool ourself na us need them pass abi na startimes our football lovers go de watch.

1 Like

Re: Xenophobia: MTN Nigeria Warns Of 6,000 Job Losses by nonjebose(m): 9:33am On Apr 21, 2015
Sweetguy25:

It is costlier for 6000 people to lose their jobs than for MTN to lose profits. It is not as easy as you're making it sound, MTN Nigeria won't just leave their businesses at no cost for another company to take over. Besides, it was Nigerians that brought MTN to Nigeria.
It is not rocket science for anyone to realise that nigeria remains the biggest market in africa. They sell their assets,a conglomerate buys it,or it remains in comatose. They stand to lose so much more than the lose of 6000 jobs
Re: Xenophobia: MTN Nigeria Warns Of 6,000 Job Losses by Samadict(f): 9:35am On Apr 21, 2015
It's funny that MTN said all these like we've got no other options to choose from. That been said, Nigerians are not like your people who instead of standing up to their responsibilities blame others
for their problems. You can't oppress us with your talks. E sora yin o.

2 Likes

Re: Xenophobia: MTN Nigeria Warns Of 6,000 Job Losses by asha01: 9:37am On Apr 21, 2015
obinto:
This is how a responsible coporate body responds to a grave and disturbing human disaster problem in their home country? Threatening its customers? Only in africa. If it was in the US, Mtn would be immersed in the most vigorous PR activity demonstrating more social rresponsibility and human relations.MTN is telling Nigerians they would not mind going out of business in nigeria? Threatening Nigerians with job losses? With the mind boggling profits and rip off tariffs which are perhaps much higher than in SA, they have the indecency to condemn Nigerians rightly outraged about the horrible events in SA?
Let Mtn be aware that there are other companies waiting to step in and absorb a good proportion of th ose endangered workers. Pls what are the other companies doing? O boy this is a rare opportunity to seize some market share from MTN. Start commercials condemning xenophobia with subtle hints at MTN and offer irresistible bonuses to switch over. Give me this project to handle and I will hurt MTN big time

am sorry to say this, but it is the Nigerian key management executives that may have advised them this way. left for SA they would have played down on any action. my thought though.
Re: Xenophobia: MTN Nigeria Warns Of 6,000 Job Losses by mikolo80: 9:39am On Apr 21, 2015
Laid2001:
My dear if there is no DSTV, there will be another company buying it over in Nigeria and EPL will surely want the money from Nigeria and hence will give right to one of the available companies!!.
There are plenty contries without DSTV as a provider, yet they still watch there football live!!

I knew that. I just wan comment. No mind me joor. When tinubu consat full ground.In fact I am waiting for when their contract expire. Should be interesting to see if they will survive without premiership
Re: Xenophobia: MTN Nigeria Warns Of 6,000 Job Losses by nonjebose(m): 9:39am On Apr 21, 2015
Laid2001:
Does it belong to Mike?
If Xenophobia continues in SA, Nigerian Government will force MTN to quit and sell off its interest in Nigeria!. There use to be Econet,Vodafone before now! MTN changing to Orange or AT$T is not out of place!!

On point. Many nigerians fail to understand that this country remains investors best destination. MTN or any SA company stand to lose if action is taken against them

1 Like

Re: Xenophobia: MTN Nigeria Warns Of 6,000 Job Losses by seangy4konji: 9:40am On Apr 21, 2015
They are crazy...6000 Jobs and who cares

Hurting a life of one nigerian is enough for us to loos 600 lives fighting war and hurting all you ever worked for...

Pass a good message to your people...

There is MTN Office in Mobil Ibadan and it wont cost anything to mobilise silently to burn the place down at anytime withouth any body knowing who did it...

All i need to go is get molotov cocktails and burn the whole place dow by 11 pm and i know my way out of there like there is google maps in my head...

You deh crazze

Mark my words...If i see a nigerian being hurt on tv in SA then that MOBIL OFFICE WILL BE BURNT DOWN...

2 Likes

Re: Xenophobia: MTN Nigeria Warns Of 6,000 Job Losses by macdelene(m): 9:48am On Apr 21, 2015
Mtn make una just dey mumu unaself. An average nigeria has two lines or if not more and both na side chick Becos they all mess up equally. Don't worry when u leave the so called 6000 employees will move to other telecom providers thereby expand those network base. Jobs not lost. My dear this is Nigeria. Stop ur threats. All the so called billions u say u send on salaries are still got from the nigerian people's purses. Nonsense

1 Like

Re: Xenophobia: MTN Nigeria Warns Of 6,000 Job Losses by nonjebose(m): 9:48am On Apr 21, 2015
mikolo80:
personally id like to see them run out of town but Remembering 22 people died looking for job that 5million people applied. Make we no fool ourself na us need them pass abi na glo and airtel customer service una wan make dem torture una.
That is not an excuse. How many private companies have you seen conducting recruitment the way NIS did? Nigeria is their biggest market in africa. Their customer base in nigeria is bigger than their entire population. You can google it. So who needs who?
Re: Xenophobia: MTN Nigeria Warns Of 6,000 Job Losses by Sweetguy25: 9:49am On Apr 21, 2015
Nelton:
Nigerian businessmen whose businesses were looted and plundered were also law abiding citizens doing business in South Africa so pleaseee. While I do not support a reprisal attack because of course we are not animals like the south Africans, there is a need to send out a strong earning to the south African people that we allow their businesses to survive and thrieve should not be taken for granted, even when we know that they have over the years exploited our simplicity and hospitality by paying us back with outrageous tariffs, under paying our citizens working for them and so many other things. Yet this has not promoted us to act the way they are acting. h

MTN Nigeria is almost like a Nigerian business. 99 percent of MTN staff are Nigerians so whats the point?
Re: Xenophobia: MTN Nigeria Warns Of 6,000 Job Losses by Missonas(f): 9:52am On Apr 21, 2015
Na today job no dey?Na to indigenise MTN.we did same to British petroleum in turning it to African petroleum just before independence.If etisalat and glo can do it so can a reformed mtn

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Xenophobia: MTN Nigeria Warns Of 6,000 Job Losses by nonjebose(m): 9:53am On Apr 21, 2015
macdelene:
Mtn make una just dey mumu unaself. An average nigeria has two lines or if not more and both na side chick Becos they all mess up equally. Don't worry when u leave the so called 6000 employees will move to other telecom providers thereby expand those network base. Jobs not lost. My dear this is Nigeria. Stop ur threats. All the so called billions u say u send on salaries are still got from the nigerian people's purses. Nonsense
God bless you for that. You rock. Wish that nonsense statement would hurt them
Re: Xenophobia: MTN Nigeria Warns Of 6,000 Job Losses by Kojochyke(m): 9:54am On Apr 21, 2015
Sweetguy25:
He who has ears. Irate Nigerians that are calling for the closure of MTN should understand the consequences. MTN is a law abiding company doing in business in Nigeria, the events occurring in their originating country shouldn't be used as an excuse to promote further divisions between the countries. They're a major stakeholder in the Nigerian economy and we should give them the respect they deserve. We should boycott Shell and other IOCs that degrade our environments with their business operations. Besides, its hypocrisy that a country like ours with a rich history of human rights abuses would seek revenge over acts human rights abuses in another country.
so we r d ones doin illegal biz in dia land abi...u r a booskakat

1 Like

Re: Xenophobia: MTN Nigeria Warns Of 6,000 Job Losses by nonjebose(m): 9:56am On Apr 21, 2015
Missonas:
Na today job no dey?Na to indigenise MTN.we did same to British petroleum in turning it to African petroleum just before independence.If etisalat and glo can do it so can a reformed mtn
Good. Don't mind them

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (Reply)

See What I Found In My Kolo In Just A Month (pictures ) / "2 Years Ago I Started My Business With N30K But Now.."Nigerian Man Reveals.PICS / Welcome-Hisenjos Fiverr,Freelancer via Payoneer Skrill Exchange Customer Support

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.