Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,177 members, 7,815,125 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:48 AM

Xenophobia: MTN Nigeria Warns Of 6,000 Job Losses - Business (15) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Xenophobia: MTN Nigeria Warns Of 6,000 Job Losses (70820 Views)

Naira To Reverse Losses This Week, Banks To Process FX Transactions Within 24hrs / 'MMM Is A Fraudulent Scheme' - CBN Warns Nigerians, Calls It "Wonder Bank" / Xenophobia: Mtn's Blackmail (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Xenophobia: MTN Nigeria Warns Of 6,000 Job Losses by paix(m): 10:58am On Apr 21, 2015
Maybe they don't know or have forgotten how much they make per second in this country. Instead of them to plead for calm, they're there threatening.
Re: Xenophobia: MTN Nigeria Warns Of 6,000 Job Losses by ocheejemb: 11:11am On Apr 21, 2015
islandmoon:

YOU ARE WORKING FOR MTN ON THIS THREAD? Right?? Omo jati jati! How much did they pay you?

I don't work for MTN, I've never even had their sim card.

Did you stop eating Suya because of Boko Haram or the conflicts in the North. Let's not be stupid here. MTN <b>Nigeria</b> has nothing to do with the Xenophobic attacks in South Africa, so why should they be punished? Furthermore, if hypothetically speaking of course, MTN Nigeria gets shut down today, for example, 500,000 Nigerians will lose their source of income. Does this make any sense to you at all? MTN Worldwide will lose one very profitable entity, yes, but they will continue with their operations and their lives. The poverty-stricken rioting South Africans who are looting food, will not be affected in any way whatsoever.

Please let us use our brains before we talk.
Re: Xenophobia: MTN Nigeria Warns Of 6,000 Job Losses by ocheejemb: 11:13am On Apr 21, 2015
Bollinger:

Thank God! At least there is one sane one amongst them. I was beginning to lose hope.

In the words of Jimi Agbaje, I am not one of them.
Re: Xenophobia: MTN Nigeria Warns Of 6,000 Job Losses by ocheejemb: 11:14am On Apr 21, 2015
sheymoni:

Whatever....... they should ask how BP turned AP overnight. Their threat doesn't hold water. If not for the cluelessness of the present administration, SA should have been placed where they belong

And where is AP now? Where is BP now. Who lost out in the long run?
Re: Xenophobia: MTN Nigeria Warns Of 6,000 Job Losses by onatisi(m): 11:22am On Apr 21, 2015
Sandydayz:

I get ur point mister but from what I read, that wasn't a treat....
so what constitutes a threat? Mtn is directly not even indirectly saying that if nigeria and nigerians try to shut them down either temporarily or permanently they will sack 6000 workers and that it will also affect another 500000 ppl . So does this statement looks like a peaceful comment ? The fact that mtn employs just 6000 workers is even annoying and enough excuse for govt to put them under heavy taxation. With their huge profits and huge network nothing stops mtn from employing at least 10000 to 15000 workers nationwide. Well no be dem fault. I just hope one day we have a leader that will correct all these anomalies.
Re: Xenophobia: MTN Nigeria Warns Of 6,000 Job Losses by onatisi(m): 11:25am On Apr 21, 2015
ocheejemb:

And where is AP now? Where is BP now. Who lost out in the long run?
britain lost out .we took it and whatever we did with it is our own business ,but we made a statement that sent a clear message and signal to the international community.

1 Like

Re: Xenophobia: MTN Nigeria Warns Of 6,000 Job Losses by jamb20s: 11:28am On Apr 21, 2015
still wodering the reason why they couldnt said that SA............
i smell something sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad
Re: Xenophobia: MTN Nigeria Warns Of 6,000 Job Losses by mikolo80: 11:31am On Apr 21, 2015
nonjebose:
That is not an excuse. How many private companies have you seen conducting recruitment the way NIS did? Nigeria is their biggest market in africa. Their customer base in nigeria is bigger than their entire population. You can google it. So who needs who?
bros even me that is doing devil's advocate na only because i realise say everybody de on mtn and midnight call na im make me buy the sim,na glo i use for 6years before finally bowing to mtn

but it is not their fault that they have stupid leaders or ignorant countrymen

and i promise you without their competition glo and airtel go suffer us pass them
Re: Xenophobia: MTN Nigeria Warns Of 6,000 Job Losses by adeoluakin: 11:35am On Apr 21, 2015
It is funny how one story can be reported in different ways and mislead readers. Clearly the man was talking about the impact but one journalist has reported it as a threat. Stories in other newspapers say differently:

http://leadership.ng/news/427261/as-protests-hit-abuja-benin-offices-mtn-condemns-xenophobia

http://allafrica.com/stories/201504210147.html

1 Like

Re: Xenophobia: MTN Nigeria Warns Of 6,000 Job Losses by Ihuomadinihu: 11:55am On Apr 21, 2015
It's a wake up call. If past Federal adminstrations was anything to write home about,Nigeria wouldn't have to depend on SA for Cable and Telecom services. Now,they are warning Nigerias in Nigeria kwa? It's a pity! I pity the staffs that will be affected after the sack,otherwise to hell with MTN. The damn network that keeps sucking Nigerian subscribers.

1 Like

Re: Xenophobia: MTN Nigeria Warns Of 6,000 Job Losses by chidexy(m): 11:59am On Apr 21, 2015
Glo, Airtel and Etisalat will be rubbing their hands with glee waiting for MTN to close shop in Nigeria and throw 6000 workers into the job market. You better tell your South African President to rein in the attack dogs. They are giving their country a very bad image
Re: Xenophobia: MTN Nigeria Warns Of 6,000 Job Losses by chuxyn: 12:01pm On Apr 21, 2015
fitzmayowa:

Mike ipoki is the current CEO of mtn nigeria, so mtn nigeria is under a nigerian...

He is a figure head, all the profit is sent back to South Africa.. The 2010 worldcup hosted in South Africa was majorly sponsored by MTN with Nigerian money

1 Like

Re: Xenophobia: MTN Nigeria Warns Of 6,000 Job Losses by adeoluakin: 12:30pm On Apr 21, 2015
chuxyn:

He is a figure head, all the profit is sent back to South Africa.. The 2010 worldcup hosted in South Africa was majorly sponsored by MTN with Nigerian money

That must have been a lot of dough. But bros how you take know that one na? You dey work for MTN?
Re: Xenophobia: MTN Nigeria Warns Of 6,000 Job Losses by kwametut: 12:31pm On Apr 21, 2015
Nigeria has only 2 million DSTV users compared to SA's 6 million users. If sure if you boycott DSTV they wont mind losing ya'll. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin Just imagine 10 people watching one TV. Thats Nigeria for u. SA has the highest number of car ownership in Africa.

1 Like

Re: Xenophobia: MTN Nigeria Warns Of 6,000 Job Losses by raayah(f): 12:31pm On Apr 21, 2015
Re: Xenophobia: MTN Nigeria Warns Of 6,000 Job Losses by Sandydayz(f): 12:34pm On Apr 21, 2015
onatisi:
so what constitutes a threat? Mtn is directly not even indirectly saying that if nigeria and nigerians try to shut them down either temporarily or permanently they will sack 6000 workers and that it will also affect another 500000 ppl . So does this statement looks like a peaceful comment ? The fact that mtn employs just 6000 workers is even annoying and enough excuse for govt to put them under heavy taxation. With their huge profits and huge network nothing stops mtn from employing at least 10000 to 15000 workers nationwide. Well no be dem fault. I just hope one day we have a leader that will correct all these anomalies.
Are u then trying to lie to yourself that it isn't true?
Re: Xenophobia: MTN Nigeria Warns Of 6,000 Job Losses by Tunagee(m): 12:34pm On Apr 21, 2015
medar:
He is right but he should have presented that better. He made it sound like Nigeria needs MTN more than it needs Nigerians. All he said is how much problem the closure of the company would bring to Nigeria. He sounded as if the company is running a charity organisation in Nigeria, as if they are not reaping us off.
I believe in a diplomatic approach to ending the xenophobic attacks but all south Africans should stand up to say no to this barbaric acts of their people.

God bless u for this great comment.
Re: Xenophobia: MTN Nigeria Warns Of 6,000 Job Losses by kwametut: 12:38pm On Apr 21, 2015
This idead of BOYCOTTING ALL S.A. PRODUCTS IS GONNA BACKFIRE FOR MANY SUB SAHARAN COUNTRIES. The likes of Ghana,Malawi,Zambia even Nigeria will feel heat.

Am sure the NORTH AFRICAN STATES(Algeria SAs new partner in natural gas wont join, same can be sad with Egypt and Morocco) won't be joing this MADNESS.

SA retail giant Woolworths left Nigeria after a month due to DECAYED INFRASTRUCTURE AND POOR POWER SUPPLY AND FILTHY RENTAL SPACE. After leaving Nigeria they bought out Australian retail and took over there. The Aussies gave the SA retail shop thumbs up cos they know SA IS ALL ABOUT QUALITY.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Xenophobia: MTN Nigeria Warns Of 6,000 Job Losses by kwametut: 12:43pm On Apr 21, 2015
Thelikes of Ghana cant afford to put sanctions on S.A. They will lose out. Their economy is small and theyr still UNDER DEVELOPED after over 55 years of FAILURE AND POOR PLANNING by Kwame Nkrumah and crew.

Today Ghanas economy is at around $36 billion and is smaller than some SA states like KZN. Ghana still can't afford to have NANDOS AND MACDONALDS STORES becos of the SMALL MIDDLE CLASS. cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Please GOOGLE this fact about NANDOS, MAC and ghana. Even Robert Mugabe made a joke about Ghana. cheesy cheesy cheesy tongue

Re: Xenophobia: MTN Nigeria Warns Of 6,000 Job Losses by kwametut: 12:46pm On Apr 21, 2015
^^^^^^^^^^^^^They can all switch off their DSTV and come short of SA's middle class. SA's middle is bigger and packs a big punch.
SA's black middle class is over 6 million and spends over $58 billion per annum.
cheesy cheesy cheesy tongue tongue tongue

Re: Xenophobia: MTN Nigeria Warns Of 6,000 Job Losses by kwametut: 12:53pm On Apr 21, 2015
Again it looks like the recent OIL AND GAS discoveries will affect countries like Nigeria and new comers like Ghana who have a small drop of oil.

The likes of UK have recently discovered over 50-100 billion barrels of oil and the US has its own oil and shale gas, China and India are exploring the south china sea as they have discovered oil there.

IT LOOKS LIKE THE BLACK MAN WILL BE ON HIS OWN AS WE GO FOWARD. cheesy cheesy grin grin grin grin ;DAm loving the fact that SA WILL FOCUS ON INVESTING ON OUR RURAL AREAS AND TOWNSHIPS. THANKS TO THE WAKE UP CALL WE RECEIVED IN SUB SAHARA AFRICA.

SA township in East London turning into a CBD of its own. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin Good luck to the likes of Malawi and Zambia, Ghana for boycotting our goods and DEVELOPMENTS by our retail giants. shocked shocked shocked shocked

Re: Xenophobia: MTN Nigeria Warns Of 6,000 Job Losses by iamord(m): 12:53pm On Apr 21, 2015
kwametut:
Thelikes of Ghana cant afford to put sanctions on S.A. They will lose out. Their economy is small and theyr still UNDER DEVELOPED after over 55 years of FAILURE AND POOR PLANNING by Kwame Nkrumah and crew.

Today Ghanas economy is at around $36 billion and is smaller than some SA states like KZN. Ghana still can't afford to have NANDOS AND MACDONALDS STORES becos of the SMALL MIDDLE CLASS. cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Please GOOGLE this fact about NANDOS, MAC and ghana. Even Robert Mugabe made a joke about Ghana. cheesy cheesy cheesy tongue
Bro stop living a fake life and framzing what you are not . You got kwame on your name and you are far from one. Dumbo

1 Like

Re: Xenophobia: MTN Nigeria Warns Of 6,000 Job Losses by onatisi(m): 12:54pm On Apr 21, 2015
kwametut:
Nigeria has only 2 million DSTV users compared to SA's 6 million users. If sure if you boycott DSTV they wont mind losing ya'll. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin Just imagine 10 people watching one TV. Thats Nigeria for u. SA has the highest number of car ownership in Africa.
how much does south africans pay for dstv subscription and how much do they charge nigerians? Look at the figures and see .
Re: Xenophobia: MTN Nigeria Warns Of 6,000 Job Losses by kwametut: 12:59pm On Apr 21, 2015
Your N1500-N5000 is nothing to what SAns pay and note most of us OWN MORE THAN ONE DSTV DECODERS. Example I pay for 4 decoders and pay for INSURERANCE. I pay for my house in Gornubie,EL SA former white suburb is over 60% black now, my flat/apartment in Joburg and my 2 sisters residence at UCT. cheesy grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

onatisi:
how much does south africans pay for dstv subscription and how much do they charge nigerians? Look at the figures and see .

Re: Xenophobia: MTN Nigeria Warns Of 6,000 Job Losses by kwametut: 1:05pm On Apr 21, 2015
As I said on oil and gas Nigeria seems is gonna LOSE ALOT. THAT WILL BE WORSER WHEN THEY MAKE ENEMIES WITH S.A.
You wont be seeing any DEVELOPMENT from S.A by the likes of SHOPRITE, MTN and others. Our hotel firms like Southern Sun and Protea will come back home and INVEST MORE.
cheesy grin grin grin

[b]“There has been a dramatic change in the last few years, which has been driven by new legislation, neighbouring offshore finds and a sustained high oil price. This has been further bolstered by Petroleum Agency SA’s own efforts to attract explorers,” he said.
Producers were also looking for supply alternatives to the oil-rich, but politically unstable, Middle East oilfields and have been further attracted by recent legislation in terms of the Mineral and Petroleum Resources Development Act, which Salomo argued had provided a degree of risk-share with the South African government.
Offshore exploration activity over the past two years had produced some 21 000 km2 of three-dimensional survey data and over 36 200 km2 of two-dimensional data.
Based on geological modelling and long-term predictions, Petroleum Agency SA, which promotes exploration for onshore and offshore oil and gas resources, had estimated prospective offshore oil and gas resources at 21.75-billion barrels and 62.4-trillion cubic feet respectively.
Of this, 10.2-billion barrels of oil and 27.7-trillion cubic feet of gas was attributed to prospective resources along the West Coast of South Africa, while 9.55-billion barrels of oil and 25.5-trillion cubic feet of gas was estimated for blocks off the country’s South Coast.
“Prospective resources along the East Coast of the country are estimated at two-billion barrels of oil and nine-trillion cubic feet of gas.

Among the largest offshore oil and gas projects currently under way was the Ibhubesi gas project off the West Coast – a joint venture between South African national oil company PetroSA and Australian independent energy group Sunbird Energy.
This project would see the development of a 400-km-long gas pipeline, two shorecrossing sites – one between Grotto Bay and Duynefontein and the other on the Saldanha Peninsula – and the construction of an onshore gas-receiving facility near Ankerlig, in the Western Cape.
“The offshore field is expected to begin production in late-2017, early 2018, with an initial flow rate of 100-million standard cubic feet of gas a day,” Salomo said.
[/b] tongue tongue tongue shocked shocked

Re: Xenophobia: MTN Nigeria Warns Of 6,000 Job Losses by Nobody: 1:10pm On Apr 21, 2015
onatisi:
please help me educate them more. Ppl don't know the importance of the nigeria market and it isn't their fault ,I will blame our leaders who have been behaving like beggars and scanvengers to foreign countries. This is what gani told obj then , he said u don't need to go to them,the nigeria market is too big to ignore ,even paypal had to comeback to the nigeria market when they saw how alibaba was making huge billions from a place they thought wasn't good. Many ppl on this thread even don't know the genesis of the gsm operations and what went on then ,those that remember the happenings then will agree with me that mtn will go to any lenght to remain in nigeria . Let them go to their iran market and make the kind of billions of dollars they are making here in nigeria.
Not only making billions of dollar and attack Iranian citizens in South Africa to see how the people will react. I can wager on this that Iranians will burn MTN in their country to the ground.
Re: Xenophobia: MTN Nigeria Warns Of 6,000 Job Losses by kwametut: 1:10pm On Apr 21, 2015
LET THEM BOYCOTT MTN,SHOPRITE AND OTHERS SO THAT THEY CAN COME BACK HOME TO ADD UP TO INVESTMENTS IN RURAL AREAS AND TOWNSHIPS.

I'D RATHER SEE S.A. RETAIL GIANTS LIKE SHOPRITE DEVELOP S.A. RURAL AND TOWNSHIPS THAN MALAWI, GHANA,ZAMBIA OR NIGERIA.

MALL BOOM IN S.A. RURAL AREAS.
cheesy grin grin grin grin grin

Re: Xenophobia: MTN Nigeria Warns Of 6,000 Job Losses by kwametut: 1:12pm On Apr 21, 2015
IRAN, CHINA, INDIA,BRAZIL,RUSSIA,INDONASIA EVEN USA,UK,GERMANY,HOLLAND,OZ,NZ ARE OUR FRIENDS WE WILL NEVER BURN THEIR INVESTMENT IN S.A.

all4naija:

Not only making billions of dollar and attack Iranian citizens in South Africa to see how the people will react. I can wager on this that Iranians will burn MTN in their country to the ground.

Re: Xenophobia: MTN Nigeria Warns Of 6,000 Job Losses by Nobody: 1:14pm On Apr 21, 2015
kwametut:
IRAN, CHINA, INDIA,BRAZIL,RUSSIA,INDONASIA EVEN USA,UK,GERMANY,HOLLAND,OZ,NZ ARE OUR FRIENDS WE WILL NEVER BURN THEIR INVESTMENT IN S.A.

I know you have comprehension problem and possibly from a brain sickness.
Re: Xenophobia: MTN Nigeria Warns Of 6,000 Job Losses by kwametut: 1:15pm On Apr 21, 2015
Our tourism industry is mainly boosted by people from outside Africa. ASIA, EUROPE, AMERICAS AND OCEANIA ALL LOVE US. Over 15 million come to S.A. annually and that adds over $50 billion to our GDP. tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue

WE'RE HATED IN AFRICA FOR OBVIOUS REASONS. cheesy grin grin grin grin grin ONLY AFRICAN COUNTRY THATS CLOSE TO GAINING FULLY FLEDGED "FIRST WORLD STATUS BY 2030". cheesy grin grin grin

Re: Xenophobia: MTN Nigeria Warns Of 6,000 Job Losses by onatisi(m): 1:16pm On Apr 21, 2015
kwametut:
Your N1500-N5000 is nothing to what SAns pay and note most of us OWN MORE THAN ONE DSTV DECODERS. Example I pay for 4 decoders and pay for INSURERANCE. I pay for my house in Gornubie,EL SA former white suburb is over 60% black now, my flat/apartment in Joburg and my 2 sisters residence at UCT. cheesy grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

u still haven't and didn't answer the question I asked. The number of decoders u have is irrelevant. The question is how much do dstv charge for subscription in sa ? Let's compare the cost of their different packages with the cost they charge nigerians for the same packages.
Re: Xenophobia: MTN Nigeria Warns Of 6,000 Job Losses by kwametut: 1:24pm On Apr 21, 2015
I LIKE DISHN INFORMATION WHEN AM NOT INSULTED. Please find this attached info. They always feel cheated
http://mybroadband.co.za/news/broadcasting/120578-dstv-prices-from-2000-to-2015.html

The increases are also usually in-line with inflation, so the only real surprise might be that MultiChoice has deviated from this trend for some of its products.
The price for a DStv premium service will rise from R665 to R699 per month – an increase of 5.11%.
DStv Extra subscribers will pay R425 instead of R399 (6.52% increase), while DStv Compact users will fork out R319 per month, up from R295 (8.13% increase).
DStv Family and DStv Select subscribers will pay R199 per month for their service – up from the current R185 per month (7.58% increase).
DStv Easyview users are the hardest hit with a price increase of 34% – from R29 per month to R39 per month.
There was some good news as well. Some prices will remain unchanged, including DStv Access

onatisi:
u still haven't and didn't answer the question I asked. The number of decoders u have is irrelevant. The question is how much do dstv charge for subscription in sa ? Let's compare the cost of their different packages with the cost they charge nigerians for the same packages.

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (Reply)

Welcome-Hisenjos Fiverr,Freelancer via Payoneer Skrill Exchange Customer Support / See What I Found In My Kolo In Just A Month (pictures ) / "2 Years Ago I Started My Business With N30K But Now.."Nigerian Man Reveals.PICS

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.