Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,149 members, 7,818,450 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:07 PM

Xenophobia: MTN Nigeria Warns Of 6,000 Job Losses - Business (14) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Xenophobia: MTN Nigeria Warns Of 6,000 Job Losses (70872 Views)

Naira To Reverse Losses This Week, Banks To Process FX Transactions Within 24hrs / 'MMM Is A Fraudulent Scheme' - CBN Warns Nigerians, Calls It "Wonder Bank" / Xenophobia: Mtn's Blackmail (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Xenophobia: MTN Nigeria Warns Of 6,000 Job Losses by Nobody: 9:57am On Apr 21, 2015
I am a Nigerian and I can tell you that we Nigerians are only good ranting rubbbish. No body will do a 'flying shyte' to SA interests in Nigeria.

You people have no idea of the number of Nigerian families and citizens that depend on SA businesses here in Nigeria to survive,
even up to the local Bars and viewing centres in your neighbourhood.

MTN, DSTV, SHOPRITE and the SA Govt have already condemned xenophobia.
Re: Xenophobia: MTN Nigeria Warns Of 6,000 Job Losses by nonjebose(m): 9:59am On Apr 21, 2015
Sweetguy25:

MTN Nigeria is almost like a Nigerian business. 99 percent of MTN staff are Nigerians so whats the point?
But it is not!
Re: Xenophobia: MTN Nigeria Warns Of 6,000 Job Losses by sheymoni(m): 10:00am On Apr 21, 2015
sparkleRed:

U 2 like military! Ee...regime na military...use administration eee

Whatever....... they should ask how BP turned AP overnight. Their threat doesn't hold water. If not for the cluelessness of the present administration, SA should have been placed where they belong
Re: Xenophobia: MTN Nigeria Warns Of 6,000 Job Losses by Kojochyke(m): 10:01am On Apr 21, 2015
Adesiji77:
MTN Nigeria on Monday warned that should there be attacks on its facilities, it might be forced to close shop and 99 per cent of its over 6,000 workforce in the country, who are Nigerians, would be thrown into the labour market.

It also said that calls for the boycott of its services were unjustified as such an action would affect its support chain, which could cause another 500,000 Nigerians to lose their means of livelihood.

The company stated this in Lagos some hours after two groups protested in its Abuja and Benin offices against the killing of foreigners in its home country, South Africa.

According to the Corporate Service Executive, MTN Nigeria, Mr. Wale Goodluck, there are only 12 expatriates working for the company in the country, compared to a workforce of 6,000 Nigerians.

Goodluck said, “So, if people go ahead with their threats to attack our facilities, what that means is that we may be forced to close down the business in Nigeria and about 6,000 Nigerians that make up 99 per cent of our workforce will be unemployed.

“Then, when you look at our support chain, we have about 500,000 Nigerians gainfully employed. So, boycotting our services simply means destroying so many other Nigerian businesses and making over 500,000 other Nigerians to lose their jobs.

“This business supports a lot of businesses across the length and breadth of Nigeria. Many of the businesses that are affiliated to South Africa are in the retail space, supporting the growth of Nigeria and employing so many Nigerians.”

He noted that the company had spent in excess of $15bn on capital expenditure growing the telecommunications business in Nigeria.

“We see no revenge of Xenophobia and we commend the role the Nigerian High Commissioner in South Africa has played; at least there has been no fatality on the part of any Nigerian,” Goodluck added.

http://www.punchng.com/business/business-economy/xenophobia-mtn-nigeria-warns-of-6000-job-losses/

lalasticlala
dis booskakat dey threaten d GIANT of africa..i swear if we catch u for WARRI which is d CAPITAL of d world,we go light u wit matches for UDU bridge. ORUE.
Re: Xenophobia: MTN Nigeria Warns Of 6,000 Job Losses by Sandydayz(f): 10:03am On Apr 21, 2015
onatisi:
what is true about it ? So if mtn leaves nigeria today our telecommunication sector will ruin? Mtn can't afford to lose the nigeria market. There is no where in the world where mtn makes the kind of profit they make in nigeria. Mtn nigeria alone accounts for 40% of mtn global profits . They should be begging to stay and not indirectly threatening us . All these beggar mentality that nigerians have must stop. It is mtn that needs us ,we don't need mtn. If mtn leaves nigeria today 10 big telecoms operators worldwide will fight for her license.
I know they need us... But how come you never mentioned the job opportunity they gave us? undecided
Re: Xenophobia: MTN Nigeria Warns Of 6,000 Job Losses by chuksmarvin(m): 10:06am On Apr 21, 2015
rman:

The only reasonable poster. Others are just posting from an emotional point of view.
wink
Re: Xenophobia: MTN Nigeria Warns Of 6,000 Job Losses by nonjebose(m): 10:06am On Apr 21, 2015
Gabbysky:
I am a Nigerian and I can tell you that we Nigerians are only good ranting rubbbish. No body will do a 'flying shyte' to SA interests in Nigeria.

You people have no idea of the number of Nigerian families and citizens that depend on SA businesses here in Nigeria to survive,
even up to the local Bars and viewing centres in your neighbourhood.

MTN, DSTV, SHOPRITE and the SA Govt have already condemned xenophobia.

Their condemnation is in order,but stop saying nigerians depend on SA biz. Are they running a non profit organization? Do you think no SA was employed in those foreign biz destroyed?

2 Likes

Re: Xenophobia: MTN Nigeria Warns Of 6,000 Job Losses by Sandydayz(f): 10:08am On Apr 21, 2015
IYANGBALI:
what is true?the subtle threat and blackmail?don't tell me that you fell for dat crap?
And don't tell me u don't believed that many Nigerians are employed by the company over all states?
Re: Xenophobia: MTN Nigeria Warns Of 6,000 Job Losses by nonjebose(m): 10:08am On Apr 21, 2015
Kojochyke:
dis booskakat dey threaten d GIANT of africa..i swear if we catch u for WARRI which is d CAPITAL of d world,we go light u wit matches for UDU bridge. ORUE.
no mind d guy
Re: Xenophobia: MTN Nigeria Warns Of 6,000 Job Losses by Kisses4rmDxtanx: 10:09am On Apr 21, 2015
12 expertriates in d TOP hierarchy 600,000 as gate men, mtn, DSTV we wil definitely trow u 2d streets . Black idiots SA
Re: Xenophobia: MTN Nigeria Warns Of 6,000 Job Losses by Nobody: 10:14am On Apr 21, 2015
nonjebose:
Their condemnation is in order,but stop saying nigerians depend on SA biz. Are they running a non profit organization? Do you think no SA was employed in those foreign biz destroyed?

I will repeat it that Many Nigerian Families depend on SA Businesses here in Nigeria.
I know of a guy whose Beer Bar business almost crashed just because DSTV did not show EPL for one season and the HiTV that got it then wasn't reliable.
I also know of a young Lady helping her family out when she was still with MTN as a contract Staff, now, two of her siblings are about to drop out of school 'cos their Sis's contract had not been renewed and NO ONE will come to their aid.
A for the boldened, we must not stoop so low and act babaric.

Guy leave, you need them as much as they need you.
Re: Xenophobia: MTN Nigeria Warns Of 6,000 Job Losses by IYANGBALI: 10:15am On Apr 21, 2015
Sandydayz:

And don't tell me u don't believed that many Nigerians are employed by the company over all states?
how much are they paying those Nigerians compared to what they are making from us? Abeg don't just start,I dey vex now with anything South Africa
Re: Xenophobia: MTN Nigeria Warns Of 6,000 Job Losses by Nobody: 10:20am On Apr 21, 2015
fitzmayowa:
I hope Nigerians won't hurt Nigerians all in the name of retaliation of what is happening in far away south africa...

An eye for an eye would make over 6000 nigerians jobless...
dis is a direct threat. A company of MTN standard is expected to be more diplomatic. They simply forgt the fact that Nigeria is a 160million people market. 6000 people might lose dere job but in a space of a month, another investor will simply take over.

1 Like

Re: Xenophobia: MTN Nigeria Warns Of 6,000 Job Losses by edpunter(m): 10:20am On Apr 21, 2015
The treats from South Africans to neighboring countries needs to be dealt with harshly cos they see other black countries as parasites. If you ever stayed or worked in South Africa you will know and understand xenophobia is normal for their men, they see foreigners as threat to their wife's, jobs and way of living cos they are lazy, I don't think it can be easily changed. Have you ever watched Champions League match that co-incidentally falls within their league in Sunnyside Pretoria bar? You will see how they dislike other black country men cos they prefer to Watch Pirates vs Black Ace in all the TV's than Chelsea vs Barcelona final in none of the TV's and prefer to watch SABC to CNN or Aljazeera, that's where you know this people are still primitive, all they need is exposure, hardly you find their citizens travel, it's only 1 out of 20 that have international passport. Well, If Nigeria MTN closes the hatred will increase and that will hurt more foreigners in SA than Nigeria. Please lets stop Xenophobia by educating them not destruction of people and properties.

1 Like

Re: Xenophobia: MTN Nigeria Warns Of 6,000 Job Losses by chuksmarvin(m): 10:20am On Apr 21, 2015
all4naija:

Do you know what your problem is? It's slave mentality. Boycotting South African products is the way to go as solidarity with those going through hell because of the xenophobia and to sound a strong warning to South Africans in their barbarism. The government of that nation benefits immensely from the profits that are taxed on the remission to that economy huge amount of money from the telecommunication company. They should be the ones to let their people know they have properties in other countries before attacking African immigrants in their country and killing them for silly reasons. I think you have a slave mental problem you need to sort out with a psychiatrist.

You are a black-sheep, dude. A hypocrite and greedy individual who can betray his family for money and employment.
I wont be drawn into trading cheap insults with you. Because really that's cheap, even 10 year olds do that online so its no biggy!
I am a realist. An objective non bigoted one..*say what you may**
Take a deep breath, now Please explain how you mean when you say i am greedy, or hypocritical....naa i dont think so. You just ranted in the heat of the moment..not the right way to converse bro!
Why boycott only their services, boycott the goods as well. Every single thing imported pls boycott.
And if the countries we sell our oil to like china and co have xenophobic folks there as well, we stop selling as well...who loses mr man?
Why didnt you talk on the dangote scenario i mentioned?
If they condemn the attacks there is little more they can do if truly yhu decide to see objectively...
Over to you. smiley..please dont dissapoint and start with insults as usual
Re: Xenophobia: MTN Nigeria Warns Of 6,000 Job Losses by themonk(m): 10:23am On Apr 21, 2015
soldierdollar:
The only thing I will miss is Mtn simple server angry
i swear, thats the only thing.
the simple sever come fast pass normal mtn browsing sef.
am downloading all kinds of videos, even ones i dont need, just to punish mtn.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Xenophobia: MTN Nigeria Warns Of 6,000 Job Losses by petkoffDrake(m): 10:26am On Apr 21, 2015
asadike:
Make una sell am to a nigerian

Asa!
Re: Xenophobia: MTN Nigeria Warns Of 6,000 Job Losses by nonjebose(m): 10:28am On Apr 21, 2015
Gabbysky:

I will repeat it that Many Nigerian Families depend on SA Businesses here in Nigeria.
I know of a guy whose Beer Bar business almost crashed just because DSTV did not show EPL for one season and the HiTV that got it then wasn't reliable.
I also know of a young Lady helping her family out when she was still with MTN as a contract Staff, now, two of her siblings are about to drop out of school 'cos their Sis's contract had not been renewed and NO ONE will come to their aid.
A for the boldened, we must not stoop so low and act babaric.

Guy leave, you need them as much as they need you.
Get d point. If they leave, what do u think will happen to the void created? Yes,it will be filled. The first national carrier license they have gives them a lot of advantage,which will be mouth watering for any coy. My point, THEY NEED US MORE

1 Like

Re: Xenophobia: MTN Nigeria Warns Of 6,000 Job Losses by chuksmarvin(m): 10:31am On Apr 21, 2015
victoradeeko:

You were making sense until you got to the 'they sponsore a lotta projects like mtn project fame' really? You sounded like a secondary school kid there
I said that to highlight that the multiplier effect goes far beyond the 500,000 mentioned. If you look through the glasses of an economist, you may understand.

Besides, your 'secondary school comment' isn't as provocative as you intended....its cheap to incite and trade insults...its most people's strength or last resort for lack of expression of points of discourse..
You are like the rest grin
Dont dissapoint and start your reply with another... grin
Re: Xenophobia: MTN Nigeria Warns Of 6,000 Job Losses by onatisi(m): 10:33am On Apr 21, 2015
Sandydayz:

I know they need us... But how come you never mentioned the job opportunity they gave us? undecided
they never gave nigerians any job opportunity. We gave them the opportunity to make money. Do u know how many billions of naira mtn makes every month and every year in nigeria alone and yet give shitty service ?it is only in nigeria that mtn isn't compelled to do more social responsibilities. Go to other countries where they are operating and see how mtn is forced to contribute heavily back into the society and community . So u have forgotten that out of that 6000 workers they are talking about over 70% of them will be casual workers ,another 10% will be expatriates so how are they helping? Bros don't be fooled ,let nigeria govt threaten mtn and see if zuma won't zoom to nigeria and beg our president.
Re: Xenophobia: MTN Nigeria Warns Of 6,000 Job Losses by Nobody: 10:36am On Apr 21, 2015
Sandydayz:

does dat gives the right to directly threaten us? Let's be realistic. Sum Nigerians will suffer a lot if MTN services were boycotted. Buh MTN as a company will never remain the same. And let's face it, Nigerians went for a peaceful protest in dere office and the next day, they make an outright threat....is dat the most diplomatic step they can take? Or dey are simply arrogant? And yhu are bn so considerate because yhu are not the daughter of that man dat was stabbed to death on the street while they laugh and take pictures like he was a thief. The man has a wife and children. Dyu know they are actually targeting people from smaller countries more? Guess who will be next? Nigerians. And one more thing, ds thing didnt just start ds month, they have bin raping and killing foreigners for years. Do a lil research if you don't believe muah. I don't belive in d idea of an eye for an eye. At d same time, threat fuels more anger
Re: Xenophobia: MTN Nigeria Warns Of 6,000 Job Losses by sleekysol(m): 10:37am On Apr 21, 2015
Nigerians will loose jobs but Lets not forget MTN has built many multi billion dollar buildings in Nigeria. loosing that should outweighs any loss Nigerians will experience and loosing a whooping 15 million subscribers will almost definitely crash there portfolio

Bottom line is if Nigerians are loosing valuables out there and the South African government remains mute before long it will fuel reprisal attacks on these companies and surely Africa is heading to a continental war.
Re: Xenophobia: MTN Nigeria Warns Of 6,000 Job Losses by onatisi(m): 10:41am On Apr 21, 2015
nonjebose:
Get d point. If they leave, what do u think will happen to the void created? Yes,it will be filled. The first national carrier license they have gives them a lot of advantage,which will be mouth watering for any coy. My point, THEY NEED US MORE
please help me educate them more. Ppl don't know the importance of the nigeria market and it isn't their fault ,I will blame our leaders who have been behaving like beggars and scanvengers to foreign countries. This is what gani told obj then , he said u don't need to go to them,the nigeria market is too big to ignore ,even paypal had to comeback to the nigeria market when they saw how alibaba was making huge billions from a place they thought wasn't good. Many ppl on this thread even don't know the genesis of the gsm operations and what went on then ,those that remember the happenings then will agree with me that mtn will go to any lenght to remain in nigeria . Let them go to their iran market and make the kind of billions of dollars they are making here in nigeria.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Xenophobia: MTN Nigeria Warns Of 6,000 Job Losses by Sandydayz(f): 10:41am On Apr 21, 2015
onatisi:
they never gave nigerians any job opportunity. We gave them the opportunity to make money. Do u know how many billions of naira mtn makes every month and every year in nigeria alone and yet give shitty service ?it is only in nigeria that mtn isn't compelled to do more social responsibilities. Go to other countries where they are operating and see how mtn is forced to contribute heavily back into the society and community . So u have forgotten that out of that 6000 workers they are talking about over 70% of them will be casual workers ,another 10% will be expatriates so how are they helping? Bros don't be fooled ,let nigeria govt threaten mtn and see if zuma won't zoom to nigeria and beg our president.
U should tell that to the peeps who go to work by 8AM come back home 6PM that they are not working.... And for Christ sake am a girl sad
Re: Xenophobia: MTN Nigeria Warns Of 6,000 Job Losses by empress4u: 10:44am On Apr 21, 2015
Adesiji77:
MTN Nigeria on Monday warned that should there be attacks on its facilities, it might be forced to close shop and 99 per cent of its over 6,000 workforce in the country, who are Nigerians, would be thrown into the labour market.

It also said that calls for the boycott of its services were unjustified as such an action would affect its support chain, which could cause another 500,000 Nigerians to lose their means of livelihood.

The company stated this in Lagos some hours after two groups protested in its Abuja and Benin offices against the killing of foreigners in its home country, South Africa.

According to the Corporate Service Executive, MTN Nigeria, Mr. Wale Goodluck, there are only 12 expatriates working for the company in the country, compared to a workforce of 6,000 Nigerians.

Goodluck said, “So, if people go ahead with their threats to attack our facilities, what that means is that we may be forced to close down the business in Nigeria and about 6,000 Nigerians that make up 99 per cent of our workforce will be unemployed.

“Then, when you look at our support chain, we have about 500,000 Nigerians gainfully employed. So, boycotting our services simply means destroying so many other Nigerian businesses and making over 500,000 other Nigerians to lose their jobs.

“This business supports a lot of businesses across the length and breadth of Nigeria. Many of the businesses that are affiliated to South Africa are in the retail space, supporting the growth of Nigeria and employing so many Nigerians.”

He noted that the company had spent in excess of $15bn on capital expenditure growing the telecommunications business in Nigeria.

“We see no revenge of Xenophobia and we commend the role the Nigerian High Commissioner in South Africa has played; at least there has been no fatality on the part of any Nigerian,” Goodluck added.

http://www.punchng.com/business/business-economy/xenophobia-mtn-nigeria-warns-of-6000-job-losses/

lalasticlala

and so what if nigerians lose their jobs. other network will be strengthened but do you know how much mtn will lose should the company be closed. this guy better think and pull the threat
Re: Xenophobia: MTN Nigeria Warns Of 6,000 Job Losses by onatisi(m): 10:46am On Apr 21, 2015
Graciaz:
does dat gives the right to directly threaten us? Let's be realistic. Sum Nigerians will suffer a lot if MTN services were boycotted. Buh MTN as a company will never remain the same.
bros ,if mtn is sent packing from nigeria ,believe me nobody will suffer . What will happen is subscribers will shift to other networks ,this means additional revenue for them,the govt will resell mtn license to another global network with better efficiency and that is all. When obj took over british petroleum and nationalised it and changed its name to african petroleum ,wettin happen? Did nigerians die?
Re: Xenophobia: MTN Nigeria Warns Of 6,000 Job Losses by merengue: 10:46am On Apr 21, 2015
medar:
He is right but he should have presented that better. He made it sound like Nigeria needs MTN more than it needs Nigerians. All he said is how much problem the closure of the company would bring to Nigeria. He sounded as if the company is running a charity organisation in Nigeria, as if they are not reaping us off.
I believe in a diplomatic approach to ending the xenophobic attacks but all south Africans should stand up to say no to this barbaric acts of their people.

Truer words were never spoken. The arrogance in the statement is nauseating.

1 Like

Re: Xenophobia: MTN Nigeria Warns Of 6,000 Job Losses by Nobody: 10:47am On Apr 21, 2015
chuksmarvin:

I said that to highlight that the multiplier effect goes far beyond the 500,000 mentioned. If you look through the glasses of an economist, you may understand.

Besides, your 'secondary school comment' isn't as provocative as you intended....its cheap to incite and trade insults...its most people's strength or last resort for lack of expression of points of discourse..
You are like the rest grin
Dont dissapoint and start your reply with another... grin
i just want to clarify a point. They dont 'SPONSOR' a thing. Do you know how much dey earn from the texts thousands of Nigeria sent in? Or from dere wwtbam program? Dere is no freebies. I understand you are trying to be reasonable, realistic and diplomatic. I respect that buh yu are simply the way yu are now because d xeno attack is not yet personal. Yu dont have a family member dat was raped and murdered in cold blood simply because she's not one of dem
Re: Xenophobia: MTN Nigeria Warns Of 6,000 Job Losses by onatisi(m): 10:52am On Apr 21, 2015
Sandydayz:

U should tell that to the peeps who go to work by 8AM come back home 6PM that they are not working.... And for Christ sake am a girl sad
I don't give a shit about anybody who goes to work by 12am and come back 12am . We are talking about a direct national insult here by a foreign company operating in nigeria. A company whose presence in nigeria has helped lift the company profile ,revenue and profit. A company that should be looking for ways to appease her host is now threatening her host. This is really an insult ,at times like this I wish abacha and idiagbon was our leader.
Re: Xenophobia: MTN Nigeria Warns Of 6,000 Job Losses by nonjebose(m): 10:52am On Apr 21, 2015
onatisi:
please help me educate them more. Ppl don't know the importance of the nigeria market and it isn't their fault ,I will blame our leaders who have been behaving like beggars and scanvengers to foreign countries. This is what gani told obj then , he said u don't need to go to them,the nigeria market is too big to ignore ,even paypal had to comeback to the nigeria market when they saw how alibaba was making huge billions from a place they thought wasn't good. Many ppl on this thread even don't know the genesis of the gsm operations and what went on then ,those that remember the happenings then will agree with me that mtn will go to any lenght to remain in nigeria . Let them go to their iran market and make the kind of billions of dollars they are making here in nigeria.
I will like to follow you,sir. One of d knowledgeable guys here
Re: Xenophobia: MTN Nigeria Warns Of 6,000 Job Losses by Sandydayz(f): 10:54am On Apr 21, 2015
onatisi:
I don't give a shit about anybody who goes to work by 12am and come back 12am . We are talking about a direct national insult here by a foreign company operating in nigeria. A company whose presence in nigeria has helped lift the company profile ,revenue and profit. A company that should be looking for ways to appease her host is now threatening her host. This is really an insult ,at times like this I wish abacha and idiagbon was our leader.
I get ur point mister but from what I read, that wasn't a treat....
Re: Xenophobia: MTN Nigeria Warns Of 6,000 Job Losses by Nobody: 10:54am On Apr 21, 2015
Such poor economics by MTN. They forget that MTN has many rivals, and if all subscribers shunt to other networks, those netxorks would necessarily expand and absorb the trained staff formeely employed by MTN, as well as their supply chain structure.
Nigeria will not feel a thing.
Let MTN put pressure on their government to stop the killings.

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (Reply)

See What I Found In My Kolo In Just A Month (pictures ) / Welcome-Hisenjos Fiverr,Freelancer via Payoneer Skrill Exchange Customer Support / "2 Years Ago I Started My Business With N30K But Now.."Nigerian Man Reveals.PICS

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.