Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,819 members, 7,817,383 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:19 AM

How Can Nigeria Produce An Ibo President? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How Can Nigeria Produce An Ibo President? (14570 Views)

What Can Nigeria Learn From The BREXIT Debacle? / If The Tribal Game Continues - We Might Never Have An Ibo President. / 3 Reasons Why Plateau State Must Produce An Apc Governor (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Can Nigeria Produce An Ibo President? by Amazo: 1:06pm On Apr 23, 2015
I've been thinking about this today. With all the political miscalculations of the SE ibo leadership and the ibo people (majority) themselves, can we ever have an ibo president under Nigeria's current political framework - is there a way out? In my opinion, as of now, the likely ibo candidates with political prospects on a national scale are Rotimi Ameachi and Rochas Okorocha. But even these two are noticeably rejected by a considerable population of the SE. So just how is it possible for an ibo presidency, say 2019 (most unlikely) or 2023 or 2027 etc? How can the ibos achieve this? What do the ibo people need to do that they haven't been doing, and/or what are they already doing that they need to stop doing? Now i'm not talking about Biafra, so keep that out of this matter. All objective contributions devoid of sentiments and tribalistic vituperations are welcomed.

3 Likes

Re: How Can Nigeria Produce An Ibo President? by Eyepencil: 1:27pm On Apr 23, 2015
How is that your business. Onye arabanko angry

2 Likes

Re: How Can Nigeria Produce An Ibo President? by Mogidi: 1:29pm On Apr 23, 2015
It was not the political machinations of the SW that produced Obasanjo, SW has Babangida to thank for making him president.

What has the north (who boast more presidents than any region) achieved?

Tell us how many presidents the Yorubas have produced. (second biggest tribe)

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Can Nigeria Produce An Ibo President? by MalcoImX: 1:39pm On Apr 23, 2015
Amaechi especially, if he's an Igbo, can make it because he has a national appeal. Okorocha and Ngige too. But the problem with Igbo politics is anybody who tries to build a bridge to other Nigerians is seen as an outcast.

33 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Can Nigeria Produce An Ibo President? by Nobody: 1:42pm On Apr 23, 2015
It's impossible! The whole Igbo race has been cursed by Sir Abubakar Tafawa Balewa. Or so I've heard?

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Can Nigeria Produce An Ibo President? by tlops(m): 1:46pm On Apr 23, 2015
MalcoImX:
Amaechi especially, if he's an Igbo can make it because he has a national appeal. Okorocha and Ngige too. But the problem with Igbo politics is anybody who tries to build a bridge to other Nigerians is seen as an outcast.

That is the problem! they need to make ally with other tribes to be able to win presidency. I love a quote from Chuba Wilberforce Okadigbo, he said and I am paraphrasing "there are many roads to the FCT but the northern route is the fastest". meaning for him to make it to the state house he should pally with the North.

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Can Nigeria Produce An Ibo President? by zekki: 1:59pm On Apr 23, 2015
ok
Re: How Can Nigeria Produce An Ibo President? by Daverytimes(m): 2:03pm On Apr 23, 2015
They don't need the presidency, we need good governors because they affect the lives of the individuals in a state far more than the president does. Having an Igbo president is simply a matter of pride, nothing more nothing less. Will it happen? sure, its a matter of when not if.

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Can Nigeria Produce An Ibo President? by Amazo: 2:03pm On Apr 23, 2015
MalcoImX:
Amaechi especially, if he's an Igbo can make it because he has a national appeal. Okorocha and Ngige too. But the problem with Igbo politics is anybody who tries to build a bridge to other Nigerians is seen as an outcast.

Well said! This is truly a problem with ibo politics. Ibos want to rule Nigeria but then deliberately treat other tribes as enemies. This self-sabotaging attitude needs to change if they will have any hope producing a Nigerian president in this age

17 Likes

Re: How Can Nigeria Produce An Ibo President? by ramdris(m): 2:05pm On Apr 23, 2015
They can if people like Ogbonnaya are nominated. The Ibo's don't seems to like Rochas and Ngige even though they seems to have national appeal. Personally, I really do want to see an Ibo President but that can only come if they start seeing other zones as friends rather than enemy The truth is to be President, u must get the support of other zones.

The idea of holding on to past pain is what is really affecting them in their dealings with other zones. Even their Leaders use the biafra war to further divide the people by using it as a campaign speech whenever a northerner or south westerners are vying for the same office with them. This has to stop for them to lead.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Can Nigeria Produce An Ibo President? by Amazo: 2:05pm On Apr 23, 2015
tlops:

That is the problem! they need to make ally with other tribes to be able to win presidency. I love a quote from Chuba Wilberforce Okadigbo, he said and I am paraphrasing "there are many roads to the FCT but the northern route is the fastest". meaning for him to make it to the state house he should pally with the North.

You made a lot of sense!

6 Likes

Re: How Can Nigeria Produce An Ibo President? by mikolo80: 2:07pm On Apr 23, 2015
Daverytimes:
They don't need the presidency, we need good governors because they affect the lives of the individuals in a state far more than the president does. Having an Igbo president is simply a matter of pride, nothing more nothing less. Will it happen? sure, its a matter of when not if.
your head de dia
if an ibo governor mechanises agric and builds industrial parks with off grid power supply
na nigerians go de beg am make he come govern them

2 Likes

Re: How Can Nigeria Produce An Ibo President? by Amazo: 2:07pm On Apr 23, 2015
Daverytimes:

I think an ibo presidency IN AN IDEAL SITUATION is way beyond pride but a matter of national contribution. Unfortunately, that ideal situation is a fantasy for now

3 Likes

Re: How Can Nigeria Produce An Ibo President? by Amazo: 2:12pm On Apr 23, 2015
ramdris:
They can if people like Ogbonnaya are nominated.

Who is Ogbonnaya? If a modern-day someone like me has never heard of him, then what of those in the rural settlements across the country outside of the SE? I think people vote for those they know and have heard of.

2 Likes

Re: How Can Nigeria Produce An Ibo President? by madamoringo(f): 2:14pm On Apr 23, 2015
Ibos don't need, want or will ever get to be the president of Nigeria for the next 1,000 generations at least! This is because the current set of Ibos have said they don't want the presidency as it has not benefitted every other part of the country one way or the other. I completely support that position and I think every Nigerian should.

Let them produce governors in their state but forget ever trying to be president! They neither need nor want it! They also cannot strategize towards it and the era of whining your way to leadership position is long past! No food for lazy man or no presidency for lazy people!

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Can Nigeria Produce An Ibo President? by Orunto: 2:20pm On Apr 23, 2015
There are many roads to the FCT but the northern route is the fastest". meaning for him to make it to the state house he should pally with the North.
And he died like a mosquito in the process. The igbos are just bungling.
Re: How Can Nigeria Produce An Ibo President? by ramdris(m): 2:21pm On Apr 23, 2015
Amazo:

Who is Ogbonnaya? If a modern-day someone like me has never heard of him, then what of those in the rural settlements across the country outside of the SE? I think people vote for those they know and have heard of.
I disagree sir. All he needs is strong backing from prominent Ibo politicians as well as those from other zones. Fashola was never a household name when he became Governor, all he needed was a well known Politician in the person of Tinubu to package him. Same can be apply to Ogbonnaya. Besides he was a member of ANPP before they merged.

2 Likes

Re: How Can Nigeria Produce An Ibo President? by aminaadamu(f): 2:22pm On Apr 23, 2015
Not ibo but igbo please.they dont need Nigerian president but BIAFRA nation

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Can Nigeria Produce An Ibo President? by xtayle(m): 2:22pm On Apr 23, 2015
For whatever its worth, the generality of the igbo nation must desist from tribal(simple or acute) and hate tendendencies. They must shift from their present mentality of seeing themselves as superior to others. They also must first respect others (especially d host of their places of prosperity) so others can respect them (respect is reciprocal). It will be helpful for them to start seeing Nigeria as one and act as such. No one is going to leave Nigeria 4 d other. Other tribes needs to start seeing nationalistic tendencies in them. As it is now, even though we all love them, no one trust them, they need to earn d collective trust of majority of other tribes in Nigeria.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Can Nigeria Produce An Ibo President? by MalcoImX: 2:25pm On Apr 23, 2015
tlops:

National politics is about forming alliances and building bridges. Amaechi, Ngige and Okorocha are called names for trying to do that. Ngige definitely would have become the senate president but was denied by the Igbo, not for lack of capacity, but simply because he's seen to be in a wrong party. They denied themselves and have now begun to accuse others of ganging up against their interests. Igbo politics is typified by the outlook of the Arthur Ezes:
“That short man called Ngige, we gave him power and he went and joined Awolowo’s people; people that killed the Igbos.
This is inimical to Igbo interest, as long as they remain part of Nigeria. But will the Igbo elite stop playing divide and rule politics with their people, for their personal gains?

15 Likes

Re: How Can Nigeria Produce An Ibo President? by kcjazz(m): 2:25pm On Apr 23, 2015
We are not producing enough young political leaders.

If a Soludo cannot win in Anambra, then its gonna be a long walk. Why can't our tecnocrats win elections at home? Every major tribe has a person that grows into the Presidency. For the North people like Sule Lamido or even Tambuwal is grooming himself now. Fashola has national appeal. If you are not a former Military guy then the path is through been a Governor. Nigerians are demanding more but if you are an Ochendo how can you ever become President.

Achieve in your state first and ambition to be a President will match the right opportunity.

5 Likes

Re: How Can Nigeria Produce An Ibo President? by omonnakoda: 2:30pm On Apr 23, 2015
Chief Okwudili Ezenwankwo is already an Ibo President
Re: How Can Nigeria Produce An Ibo President? by PassingShot(m): 2:31pm On Apr 23, 2015
I have thought of this same issue too and as I was about arriving at an answer (or so I thought), I realized that the Igbos failed to vote for late Odumegu Ojukwu when he ran in 2003.

In 2007 when Buhari ran with late Okadigbo (which should have meant that they could have a shot at the presidency after GMB), they didn't vote for the ticket.

Then I concluded that perhaps the Igbos do not like to produce the president.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Can Nigeria Produce An Ibo President? by MalcoImX: 2:45pm On Apr 23, 2015
xtayle:
For whatever its worth, the generality of the igbo nation must desist from tribal(simple or acute) and hate tendendencies. They must shift from their present mentality of seeing themselves as superior to others. They also must first respect others (especially d host of their places of prosperity) so others can respect them (respect is reciprocal). It will be helpful for them to start seeing Nigeria as one and act as such. No one is going to leave Nigeria 4 d other. Other tribes needs to start seeing nationalistic tendencies in them. As it is now, even though we all love them, no one trust them, they need to earn d collective trust of majority of other tribes in Nigeria.
This is a question that has to be addressed by the Igbo. I am interested in this. Whether they like it or not this trust issue is a recurring decimal with other Nigerians.

5 Likes

Re: How Can Nigeria Produce An Ibo President? by Nobody: 2:47pm On Apr 23, 2015
Whether the Igbo will produce the next Nigerian president lies largely with Buhari. You never can tell the way the hearts of kings function but Buhari will take a special place in Nigeria's history if he can facilitate this request and hand over to the Igbo.

If Buhari should present any Igbo candidate to his people they will accept the person without asking questions, he is like a demigod in the North.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Can Nigeria Produce An Ibo President? by Nobody: 2:51pm On Apr 23, 2015
MalcoImX:
Amaechi especially, if he's an Igbo, can make it because he has a national appeal. Okorocha and Ngige too. But the problem with Igbo politics is anybody who tries to build a bridge to other Nigerians is seen as an outcast.

Amaechi is from the political SS at least for now, we want a man from the SE please.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Can Nigeria Produce An Ibo President? by Nobody: 2:55pm On Apr 23, 2015
Pls when did Amaechi become Ibo? He is either Ikwere or Okrika.

Rochas is the only igbo that will be accepted by the enitre nation because he is a detribalized Nigerian.

4 Likes

Re: How Can Nigeria Produce An Ibo President? by Nobody: 2:55pm On Apr 23, 2015
Mogidi:
It was not the political machinations of the SW that produced Obasanjo, SW has Babangida to thank for making him president.

What has the north (who boast more presidents than any region) achieved?

Tell us how many presidents the Yorubas have produced. (second biggest tribe)

The lesson is simple, no zone can produce the president on it's own in this country. You need the support of at least about three other zones to make it up there. The Yorubas rejected Obasanjo but their block rejection was not enough to stop him because other regions wanted him. We have to reach out to other regions in this country and form lasting alliances, that is the only way to achieving an Igbo presidency in Nigeria.

5 Likes

Re: How Can Nigeria Produce An Ibo President? by Nobody: 2:57pm On Apr 23, 2015
omonnakoda:
Chief Okwudili Ezenwankwo is already an Ibo President
president of where?
Re: How Can Nigeria Produce An Ibo President? by Nobody: 2:58pm On Apr 23, 2015
EzioAuditore:
It's impossible! The whole Igbo race has been cursed by Sir Abubakar Tafawa Balewa. Or so I've heard?

If that is true the curse will not work, the curse of one man cannot hold a whole race down. besides, do you know that Aole placed a cusre on the Yorubas after what Afonja did to him?

Go and study history.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Can Nigeria Produce An Ibo President? by size40: 2:58pm On Apr 23, 2015
pls enough of this rubbish. which one is Igbo President? Goodluck Ebele Jonathan has taken their turn because he is their son

8 Likes

Re: How Can Nigeria Produce An Ibo President? by omonnakoda: 2:59pm On Apr 23, 2015
firstEVA:
president of where?
please do not pretend you do not know

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Emir Sanusi Decries Hunger, Poverty / Ayade Remains Cross River Governor FHC Rules, Defeats PDP / 17 Sacked, Suspended Nigerian Ministers Since 1999

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.