Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,458 members, 7,819,669 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:24 PM

Must A Man Have An Engagement Ring Before He Proposes? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Must A Man Have An Engagement Ring Before He Proposes? (3974 Views)

Right Finger For An Engagement Ring,third Or Fourth Finger From The Thumb?? / Homeless Man Returns Diamond Engagement Ring; he's Rewarded With Over $180,000 / Should A Man Have A Gun In His House? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Must A Man Have An Engagement Ring Before He Proposes? by GermanLady(f): 2:59pm On Sep 13, 2006
iice:

Guess am not a real lady LMAO

different ladies for different gentlemen grin

sorry iice ,no offense.
Re: Must A Man Have An Engagement Ring Before He Proposes? by iice(f): 3:04pm On Sep 13, 2006
LOL i ddnt take offense, as you can see i was laughing grin grin grin coz i was thinking that you ddnt mean your statement as a definitive
Re: Must A Man Have An Engagement Ring Before He Proposes? by teaser(m): 12:54pm On Sep 14, 2006
@Germanlady
i have been going out with her for 8 yrs, we knew we were going to get married,including members of our family,infact a cousin of mine grew up thinking we were related becos of our closeness and the understanding. i just had to do it cos i cherish her,am not stingy and i have taken correction. I would have said i will correct the mistake but you know these things happen just one in a lifetime.

Next time be nice with ur words,ie if u r really a german.
Re: Must A Man Have An Engagement Ring Before He Proposes? by GermanLady(f): 2:37pm On Sep 14, 2006
teaser:

@Germanlady
i have been going out with her for 8 years, we knew we were going to get married,including members of our family,infact a cousin of mine grew up thinking we were related because of our closeness and the understanding. i just had to do it because i cherish her,am not stingy and i have taken correction. I would have said i will correct the mistake but you know these things happen just one in a lifetime.

Next time be nice with your words,ie if you're really a german.

I WAS nice with my words - you don't want to read when I'm not nice,cuz that would sound much different. LOL grin
Re: Must A Man Have An Engagement Ring Before He Proposes? by AmeriNaija(f): 10:49pm On Sep 19, 2006
of course you are suppose to have the ring! Why did you propose then?? Were you in a hurry? I'm a little disappointed in her that she got the ring for you.
Re: Must A Man Have An Engagement Ring Before He Proposes? by donjazzie(m): 7:15pm On Sep 20, 2006
AmeriNaija:

of course you are suppose to have the ring! Why did you propose then?? Were you in a hurry? I'm a little disappointed in her that she got the ring for you.

the babe like many other 9ja babes was desperate to get married so nor b her fault(lol)
Re: Must A Man Have An Engagement Ring Before He Proposes? by jaybaby(f): 4:12pm On Sep 23, 2006
He must present an ENGAGEMENT RING before he proposes-that shows he really meant it & he is SERIOUS

ORACEL i lav this RINGS kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss

Re: Must A Man Have An Engagement Ring Before He Proposes? by ginababy(f): 4:25pm On Sep 23, 2006
its not must that he will have a ring. a neckless too will do and some times just a proposal.
Rings are not compulsory because some times a man will give you a ring and he will go dating another girl and when you come to know of it you just throw it away like a piece of rag. so what is the value of engagement rings.

CHECK OUT THIS NECKLESS.

Re: Must A Man Have An Engagement Ring Before He Proposes? by frankiriri(m): 12:26am On Nov 15, 2006
The ring matters o.
Im a traditional African man, so she cant buy her own ring .
Re: Must A Man Have An Engagement Ring Before He Proposes? by mide2(f): 3:39am On Dec 23, 2006
how many engagement rings are you suppose to have. One comes with the traditional nigerian engagement ceremony, so whr would u put the first one ? ( especially when you've had the 1st one for years) i will definitely want a brand new one for my engagement ceremony( a day or a week to the wedding)
Re: Must A Man Have An Engagement Ring Before He Proposes? by ThoniaSlim(f): 4:10pm On Dec 24, 2006
he must have ohh,before he proposes,that ring signifys his love,seriousness and makes it official. cool
Re: Must A Man Have An Engagement Ring Before He Proposes? by Uche2nna(m): 4:02am On Dec 25, 2006
Y r u ladies in a hurry angry
Y would I have a ring handy when I want to propose,,,wat if she refuses wat am I gonna do with the ring,,,eat it?

I will propose first then if she agrees I will now go down to the nearest flea market and buy the most conveniently economical ring for her. I love my Baby grin
Re: Must A Man Have An Engagement Ring Before He Proposes? by iice(f): 8:50am On Dec 25, 2006
shocked shocked shocked Flea market, make sure say fleas no dey surround am tongue
Re: Must A Man Have An Engagement Ring Before He Proposes? by ThoniaSlim(f): 9:27am On Dec 25, 2006
@uche2nna
hhhmmmm,funny grin,well i don't expect you to agree with me,but thats my opinion and its final. cool
Re: Must A Man Have An Engagement Ring Before He Proposes? by Akinagirl(f): 3:17am On Jan 22, 2007
just like Uche2nna said, what is he going to do if she refuses, that was a waste of money. A guy can ask me, get my answer, then buy a blinging ring later. wink
Re: Must A Man Have An Engagement Ring Before He Proposes? by allonym: 3:54am On Jan 22, 2007
Well, no, a man does not have to have an engagement ring to propose. If he does get one, he should make sure he can afford it. If the girl cannot accept an affordable ring, perhaps the two need to rethink their priorities.
Re: Must A Man Have An Engagement Ring Before He Proposes? by Uche2nna(m): 4:00am On Jan 22, 2007
I have never a heard of a girl reject a proposal based on the cost of a ring undecided

You eithyer reject or accept the man. Who cares where the ring came from. It is just a symbol grin
Re: Must A Man Have An Engagement Ring Before He Proposes? by allonym: 4:03am On Jan 22, 2007
some couples shop for the ring prior to the proposal. If the girl cannot find a ring she likes - there would be no proposal in the first place.
Re: Must A Man Have An Engagement Ring Before He Proposes? by Uche2nna(m): 4:08am On Jan 22, 2007
allonym:

some couples shop for the ring prior to the proposal. If the girl cannot find a ring she likes - there would be no proposal in the first place.

Whatcha r u saying If a girl goes with her man to shop for an engagement ring, then it is obvious that the gal in question has accepted the proposal, ring or no ring grin

Or would she wanna pretend that she does not know who or what the ring is for?
Re: Must A Man Have An Engagement Ring Before He Proposes? by allonym: 4:16am On Jan 22, 2007
ok. . .

what about instead of "shopping" for rings. . . they were "browsing?
Re: Must A Man Have An Engagement Ring Before He Proposes? by Uche2nna(m): 4:43am On Jan 22, 2007
So U are now taking the second option ? grin Pretending U dont know wat the ring is for

Browsing / Shopping,,,the most important thing is dat U both are intersted in a ring grin
Re: Must A Man Have An Engagement Ring Before He Proposes? by allonym: 5:08am On Jan 22, 2007
i'm guessing you have not been in such a situation and therefore are missing some of the subtleties
Re: Must A Man Have An Engagement Ring Before He Proposes? by Imani(f): 5:32pm On Jan 23, 2007
Personally, i think a ring is just symbolic, nothing more.

@ the Ladies,

If a man proposes to you and and either of you breaks off the engagement, what would you do with the ring?
Re: Must A Man Have An Engagement Ring Before He Proposes? by Uche2nna(m): 6:06pm On Jan 27, 2007
allonym:

i'm guessing you have not been in such a situation and therefore are missing some of the subtleties

So how many of dem situation have U been in ? I will be in dat situation when it comes but I intend to be in it once and only once tongue
And please wat is subtle in buying an engagement ring for ur fiancee. It should be just an outward sign of something U both feel inside for each other. It is a mere symbol. All the subtleties should have been taken care of during the dating and humping period tongue

Please it is safe to make sure that the girl U are going to be proposing to will agree before U run off to buy a ring grin
Re: Must A Man Have An Engagement Ring Before He Proposes? by chillbabe(f): 1:10pm On Feb 01, 2007
To me it seems from the reply's that there is a price to propose sad.Not when a guy gives u a ring that means that he is serious things he do with u during the relationship can make u know if he is sincere.

I don't believe in that ring thing just treat me good and with respect and it's OK with me.
That my opion.
Re: Must A Man Have An Engagement Ring Before He Proposes? by jess(f): 4:56pm On Feb 08, 2007
My BF and I were talking on the phone for hours on a beautiful night. We talked about everything and then when I was blabbing about something, cant remember what it was, he popped the question. I couldnt believe it that i went numb.He asked again.Youknow what i said don't you?ISAID YES. Since he propsed over the phone, there was no way he could give me a ring. However, on a later date, he popped the question again in front of our friends when i wasnt expecting again, but this time with a ring and yours truly said YES again.
What am trying to say is  that it doesnt matter if a man propses with a ring or not. What matters is whether the girl accepts or not. The ring just formalizes the proposal. Kapish.
Re: Must A Man Have An Engagement Ring Before He Proposes? by Uche2nna(m): 12:21am On Feb 09, 2007
So until u are sure that the girl is going to say yes, do not buy a ring.
KAPISH wateva dat means undecided
Re: Must A Man Have An Engagement Ring Before He Proposes? by allonym: 1:21am On Feb 19, 2007
Imani:

Personally, i think a ring is just symbolic, nothing more.

@ the Ladies,

If a man proposes to you and and either of you breaks off the engagement, what would you do with the ring?

The ring should be returned to the man.
Re: Must A Man Have An Engagement Ring Before He Proposes? by JustGood(m): 1:43pm On Feb 19, 2007
real lady want to be asked the RIGHT way and therefore a ring is a must

fa fa fa foul.
did God talk about wedding ring when He instituted the institution of marriage.
if man believe in engagement ring, good. if not, no yawa.
all the women wey I sabi wey get successful marriages no dey too do yanga about such mundane things. the success or failure of the relationship should be more important than the initial presence of a ring.
na engagement ring dey sustain relationship?

for britain, people dey engaged for someyears and even cohabit. then, you go hear say dem don split up. I wonder why their engagement rings no dey save the relationship.
Re: Must A Man Have An Engagement Ring Before He Proposes? by temmyabby(f): 12:42am On Jun 12, 2007
lol, nah but its kul, it shows shes been taken, or u want make another man eye am grin lol
Re: Must A Man Have An Engagement Ring Before He Proposes? by Jaguar1(m): 9:51am On Jun 12, 2007
Ok I had fun reading this so am going to relate my experience here. I proposed to my fiancee last year and we are getting married this September yet, I haven't given her a ring. She's not even keen on wearing a ring yet untill after the trado which will be in September too. We have done some level of formal introduction, currently attending marriage counseling classes and her wedding gown has been bought already and yet no rings on her finger. We have our budget already mapped out, so much have been done already so we are not kidding and nobody is playing games here. No doubt she wants rings too but she just want to start wearing it after the traditional wedding which will be about a week interval to the white and cout wedding.
So people what do you think about me and my fiancee? We are sure of the wedding and I have no problem with the money although am thinking of getting her a beautiful engament ring this month end. What do u all think?
Re: Must A Man Have An Engagement Ring Before He Proposes? by Aproko(f): 5:35pm On Jun 12, 2007
Jaguar1:

Ok I had fun reading this so am going to relate my experience here. I proposed to my fiancee last year and we are getting married this September yet, I haven't given her a ring. She's not even keen on wearing a ring yet untill after the trado which will be in September too. We have done some level of formal introduction, currently attending marriage counseling classes and her wedding gown has been bought already and yet no rings on her finger. We have our budget already mapped out, so much have been done already so we are not kidding and nobody is playing games here. No doubt she wants rings too but she just want to start wearing it after the traditional wedding which will be about a week interval to the white and cout wedding.
So people what do you think about me and my fiancee? We are sure of the wedding and I have no problem with the money although am thinking of getting her a beautiful engament ring this month end. What do u all think?

if you can afford it, then go for it, just make sure it wont fade. she would probably wear it on her right finger when the real one comes in september. then again, if you see that getting her a ring now may not mean much to her since she is expecting the real one in september, you can surprise her with something she always wanted. all the best and congrats to you and future mrs jaguar 1.

@ topic,

a ring is but a symbol. it depends on the kind of girl you are with. personally if its not a ring that will make me go uh and ah, you had better propose with sweet words instead cos any ring on my finger must blink!!!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Should A Woman Reject Her Husband In Bed To Show Her Greif? / Tribal Marks: Are They Bad? / Can U Marry A Lady Dat Isnt Ready To Drop Her Surname

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.