Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,133 members, 7,814,956 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:53 AM

A Call For Preservation Of The Memories Of Today's Events - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / A Call For Preservation Of The Memories Of Today's Events (25178 Views)

Photos From The Scene Of Today's Riot In Oshodi,Lagos / Fayose Attacks APC Again With An Advert On The Front Page Of Today's Tribune(pic / Look At What PDP Published On Page 5 Of Today's Guardian News Paper. (photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Call For Preservation Of The Memories Of Today's Events by omenka(m): 7:56pm On Jun 09, 2015
Good evening all.

This thread isn't created to spite any one or any people. It is just a wake up call to majority Nigerians, who happen to be very poor at remembering events of history and how they are meant to shape our thought processes and indeed orientation.

Now, very interesting events happened in the last 24 hours in our National Legislative Chambers. Both chambers were inaugurated and their leadership elected. APC being the dominant party clinched the top spots in both chambers, but as we all know, PDP and her supporters seem to be the most jubilant party over the outcome of the elections, why, one might be tempted to ask.

In the run up to the general elections, Saraki whom PDP supported doggedly in the just concluded NASS election, was hounded by the same party, threatened with all manner of sanctions that eventually culminated in his exit from the party. His rift with the party (PDP) and the presidency back then, began with his blowing the lid on what has come to be known as the biggest heist in the nation's history- the Subsidy Scam- which ran into tens of billions of dollars. He was buffeted from all sides with all manner of allegations and barely survived having himself locked up in jail. He eventually found a sanctuary in the opposition, now the ruling party.

Now, inexplicably, the same party that threw everything but the kitchen sink at this recalcitrant and rebellious congressman sees him as a valiant, their knight in shining armour. Wonders huh? Well they voted for him in the absence of half of the members of the Senate as the Senate president, case closed., and for what?- just to spite the opposition, maybe, and to have their man as the Deputy.

In the Green Chamber, Dagora emerged the Speaker. I know quite little about him, but nevertheless, that is immaterial to the crux of this piece.

Here's what my problem is: during the electioneering campaigns, Nigerians/electorates were subjected to all manner of divisive and potentially catastrophic propaganda from the PDP. To mention a few, we saw things like-

1. Buhari is too old to be a leader.

2. Buhari is a terrorist sponsor.

3. Buhari has fossilised ideas and cannot lead a 21st century country effectively.

4. Buhari has prostate cancer and might die soon.

5. Buhari's candidacy is a product Northern conspiracy for National domination.

6. Buhari is "tribalistic".

7. The Northerners suffer from a "Born to Rule Syndrome".

8. APC is a party akin to the Muslim Brotherhood of Egypt. It is dominated by Muslims and Northerners.

And others too numerous to mention.

Numbers 5-8 are my major concern.

Most of the points listed above were propagated and hammered on by same people who are jubilant over the emergence of Dagora and Saraki as Speaker HoR and Senate President respectively. Dagora is a Northerner, Saraki is from North Central (includes christian dominated states such as Taraba, plateau, Benue, but when the time comes, PDP will call him a "Northerner", and when you say "North", everyone thinks "Islam/Muslim). It is necessary putting this in writing because a time will come, perhaps in 2019, when PDP would want to replay that ethnic, religious, and regional cards which appears to be the only ammo in their arsenal- polarise Nigerians along these lines, have them vote based on these sentiments, and see to your retention in office!

Now, the situation we have at present shows Three of the Top Four Positions are occupied by "Northerners" but PDP is happy about it and apparently has no qualms whatsoever with the arrangement.

I have always been against all that North, South, East, West, Muslim, Christian, Hausa, Yoruba, Igbo politicking. It has never and will never be the panacea to Nigeria's innumerable problems. Have always been pro Nigeria and would always support whoever it is that gets into an office as far as their competence isn't in doubt.

Without the support of PDP, what happened today wouldn't have happened, so we would hold them to account when the time comes, and remind them of their lofty stance at this time.

The events of today should effectively put to rest all that ethnoreligious politicking that PDP is known for.

We look forward to a very productive National Assembly.

Congrats to Saraki.

Congrats to Dagora.

God Bless the Federal Republic of Nigeria.

Cc: Seun, Ishilove, Lalasticlala.

Cc: Passingshot, Mynd44, maclatunji, OAM4J, Obiagelli, Gbawe, Donphilopus, Midolian, Beremx, NgeneUkwenu, Chuhbie.

202 Likes 23 Shares

Re: A Call For Preservation Of The Memories Of Today's Events by Nobody: 8:07pm On Jun 09, 2015
Good write up. But the power plays during this regime will be intense.

17 Likes

Re: A Call For Preservation Of The Memories Of Today's Events by Brugo(m): 8:08pm On Jun 09, 2015
Well said.

PDP seems to be rejoicing more than the party which these leaders represent. In Nigeria, politics is not intellectual. It is violent, spiteful and divisive.

I have no qualms with the outcome. I only hope that Nigerians can see that elections should be about individuals and not just parties. These legislators are fluid. They can switch alliances at will regardless of the position of the law.

We are yet to have legislators who work for the good of their constituents.

[size=13pt]In the process of the spirited lobbying (up until the elections today) bribes have been demanded, offered and taken. I wonder if our amiable whistle blower Senator Ben Bruce saw anything untoward.[/size]

50 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Call For Preservation Of The Memories Of Today's Events by Redoil: 8:09pm On Jun 09, 2015
And ur point is? PDP arm twisted the so called progressives with cow dung for brain and you dare open a useless thread to spite PDP and and to praise APC for their foolishness and stupidity.
If you know that APC are foo.ls for playing into the hand of PDP click like.
If you know that are learners when it comes to armtwisting in politics click share.

285 Likes 25 Shares

Re: A Call For Preservation Of The Memories Of Today's Events by omenka(m): 8:10pm On Jun 09, 2015
sonOfLucifer:
Good write up. But the power plays during this regime will be intense.
Whichever way they chose to play it is up to them, but they should, for their own good, not feature ethnicity and religion. A rude awakening await them if they do.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Call For Preservation Of The Memories Of Today's Events by AhmedMustapha(m): 8:16pm On Jun 09, 2015
omenka:
Whichever way they chose to play it is up to them, but they should, for their own good, not feature ethnicity and religion. A rude awakening await them if they do.
They would defy this advice. These tools made them whatever they are and unfortunately Nigerians never see the picture

14 Likes

Re: A Call For Preservation Of The Memories Of Today's Events by aventura: 8:17pm On Jun 09, 2015
your analysis is flawed. One sided perspective.

124 Likes 3 Shares

Re: A Call For Preservation Of The Memories Of Today's Events by eph12(m): 8:20pm On Jun 09, 2015
You should be glad we are gradually freeing ourselves from the shackles of ehnic and religious bias. This is a good start.

9 Likes

Re: A Call For Preservation Of The Memories Of Today's Events by Redoil: 8:20pm On Jun 09, 2015
Clown how far? The SHARP goons in PDP are teaching you people how to do politics and you are here sweating.
omenka:

95 Likes 7 Shares

Re: A Call For Preservation Of The Memories Of Today's Events by omenka(m): 8:21pm On Jun 09, 2015
AhmedMustapha:

They would defy this advice. These tools made them whatever they are and unfortunately Nigerians never see the picture
As a matter of fact, PDP supporters have already started creating such threads!!

Refresh the board and see them. Just as I predicted!!

Smh.

10 Likes

Re: A Call For Preservation Of The Memories Of Today's Events by omenka(m): 8:25pm On Jun 09, 2015
eph12:
You should be glad we are gradually freeing ourselves from the shackles of ehnic and religious bias. This is a good start.
Of course I am!! That is the purpose of this thread. To ensure we don't go back to what it used to be where all they talk about is tribe, religion and region.

Go back to the politics board and check it out. Just as I predicted, someone has already created a thread complaining "christians got served by hausa/fulani". See what I mean??

9 Likes

Re: A Call For Preservation Of The Memories Of Today's Events by NgeneUkwenu(f): 8:25pm On Jun 09, 2015
PDP wanted to play a spoiler, that is just it and nothing else! Even a dumb person can still disobey his party and pull this Coup off! So Nothing Superfluous here!

Had APC supported Saraki, PDP would have voted Lawan

Is just that simple

They just wanted to know who APC supported, so that they can support any 'rebel' that crops up!

Even in an advanced democracy like USA, the power of Nomination of speakers and leaders are done by the Political parties
Only one nomination is presented to whole house for voting!

Let's watch as events unfold!
People bringing Tinubu are just being mischevious

The man has achieved 80% of all he wanted in life.

And history shows that Dogara and Saraki have effectively shut themselves out of APC!

57 Likes 3 Shares

Re: A Call For Preservation Of The Memories Of Today's Events by Nobody: 8:26pm On Jun 09, 2015
omenka:
You talk like they have shame.

10 Likes

Re: A Call For Preservation Of The Memories Of Today's Events by omenka(m): 8:26pm On Jun 09, 2015
aventura:
your analysis is flawed. One sided perspective.
Care to tell me how

By the way, it isn't an "analysis", it is more or less a "statement".

15 Likes

Re: A Call For Preservation Of The Memories Of Today's Events by raumdeuter: 8:26pm On Jun 09, 2015
OP

I think its a reorganisation

the 3 major blocs that made the APC were Buhari, Tinubu and Atiku

Buhari is number 1, Tinubu gave number 2. Saraki is Atikus part of the tripod

When you are going to the center and unseating a sitting president, Alliances and concession would have to be made

I think this was to checkmate all 3 gladiators so one part wont have overwhelming influence on the other

Its good for the politics

28 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A Call For Preservation Of The Memories Of Today's Events by eph12(m): 8:33pm On Jun 09, 2015
omenka:
Of course I am!! That is the purpose of this thread. To ensure we don't go back to what it used to be where all they talk about is tribe, religion and region.

Go back to the politics board and check it out. Just as I predicted, someone has already created a thread complaining "christians got served by hausa/fulani". See what I mean??
They should be ignored. Most are troublemakers. They don't represent the views of the majority. All what we want to see is efficiency, results, delivery of election promises. If this happens nobody would talk about tribe, religion et al come 2019.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Call For Preservation Of The Memories Of Today's Events by omenka(m): 8:34pm On Jun 09, 2015
raumdeuter:
OP

I think its a reorganisation

the 3 major blocs that made the APC were Buhari, Tinubu and Atiku

Buhari is number 1, Tinubu gave number 2. Saraki is Atikus part of the tripod

When you are going to the center and unseating a sitting president, Alliances and concession would have to be made

I think this was to checkmate all 3 gladiators so one part wont have overwhelming influence on the other

Its good for the politics
My point is, hope PDP doesn't make any attempt to go back to its old ways of playing those divisive cards when the time comes.

You see, they played this how they did because of Ekweremadu not minding the "lopsided" (not like I care where the leaders of the chambers come from) appearance of the positions.

Tomorrow, these same people would cry of "marginalisation of the South" when they are soliciting votes and Nigerians being as forgetful as they are, would fall for their tricks.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Call For Preservation Of The Memories Of Today's Events by DevilhimseIf: 8:35pm On Jun 09, 2015
NgeneUkwenu:
PDP wanted to play a spoiler, that is just it and nothing else! Even a dumb person can still disobey his party and pull this Coup off! So Nothing Superfluous here!

Had APC supported Saraki, PDP would have voted Lawan

Is just that simple

They just wanted to know who APC supported, so that they can support any 'rebel' that crops up!

Even in an advanced democracy like USA, the power of Nomination of speakers and leaders are done by the Political parties
Only one nomination is presented to whole house for voting!

Let's watch as events unfold!
People bringing Tinubu are just being mischevious

The man has achieved 80% of all he wanted in life.

And history shows that Dogara and Saraki have effectively shut themselves out of APC!

cheesy grin

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Call For Preservation Of The Memories Of Today's Events by themilanway(m): 8:38pm On Jun 09, 2015
Good post,though I'm indifferent to who became the senate president and all the whatnot.

My wish and hope is that they put the masses 1st before their selfish and useless personal ambition.They should also remember that 4yrs is just around the corner.

As for the PDP and their hypocrisy,don't waste your breath on them.

They don't worth it.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Call For Preservation Of The Memories Of Today's Events by jorlons(m): 8:40pm On Jun 09, 2015
Very true, however, I believe they've a much craftier plan. If they couldn't succeed even after polarising Nigerians along ethnic and religious lines, why should they adopt the same strategy ?? I think we're in for some real dirty opposition.

1 Like

Re: A Call For Preservation Of The Memories Of Today's Events by Nobody: 8:50pm On Jun 09, 2015
from my own point of view,I think PDP gave Saraki an option for him to pick a PDP senator as his deputy if he wants their support. Saraki ran to his old friends to bail him out and he was given that condition.

Like i always say,it's the beauty of democracy. Saraki will definitely reconcile with his party and that will no longer be an issue.

I must warn Lai Mohammed to always take things easy. He cannot say something different from what President Buhari says. He should learn to make consultation with the president before issuing statements

33 Likes

Re: A Call For Preservation Of The Memories Of Today's Events by remsonik(f): 8:51pm On Jun 09, 2015
This isn't an issue for APC at all,it's a spoiler for PDP. A northerner is first a northerner before party affiliations.
PDP are only jubilating, saraki can't be manipulated or cowed by them to do their wish. It's a chess board game jare

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Call For Preservation Of The Memories Of Today's Events by Rawani: 8:57pm On Jun 09, 2015
I believe the PDP needed a reprieve from the seemingly endless reminders of the disaster that was Jonathan, through PMB's every move, decisons and photos. This victory was actually for democracy and the CPC elements within the APC who succeeded in weakening Jagaban's hold on the party. Saraki proved he was a politician, at the same time he reminded the world he lacked honour and principles. President Buhari is also a winner as he re-inforced his independence, shaming those that asserted he would be a Tinubu puppet, and proving he is a man of his word.

Tomorrow however, TANoid's hatred for President Buhari will overpower their love for Saraki once another glossy photo of PMB surfaces, and their lamentations will continue, let us enjoy this reprieve while it lasts.

46 Likes 3 Shares

Re: A Call For Preservation Of The Memories Of Today's Events by Firefire(m): 8:57pm On Jun 09, 2015
JackBaueress1:
from my own point of view,I think PDP gave Saraki an option for him to pick a PDP senator as his deputy if he wants their support. Saraki ran to his old friends to bail him out and he was given that condition.

Like i always say,it's the beauty of democracy. Saraki will definitely reconcile with his party and that will no longer be an issue.

I must warn Lai Mohammed to always take things easy. He cannot say something different from what President Buhari says. He should learn to make consultation with the president before issuing statements

Omo, see warning to APC Chief Liar, Alhaji Lie Mohamed ? shocked

32 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A Call For Preservation Of The Memories Of Today's Events by Firefire(m): 9:02pm On Jun 09, 2015
Rawani:
I believe the PDP needed a reprieve from the seemingly endless reminders of the disaster that was Jonathan, through PMB's every move, decisons and photos. This victory was actually for democracy and the CPC elements within the APC who succeeded in weakening Jagaban's hold on the party. Saraki proved he was a politician, at the same time he reminded the world he lacked honour and principles. President Buhari is also a winner as he re-inforced his independence, shaming those that asserted he would be a Tinubu puppet, and proving he is a man of his word.

Tomorrow however, TANoid's hatred for President Buhari will overpower their love for Saraki once another glossy photo of PMB surfaces, and their lamentations will continue, let us enjoy this reprieve while it lasts.

That is my personal dream, also to allow balance of power without anyone claiming Lord over another.

live and let live.

11 Likes

Re: A Call For Preservation Of The Memories Of Today's Events by frankyychiji(f): 9:11pm On Jun 09, 2015
Omenka, you have finally ran into the market unclad! Just one word for you; the reason why we are jubilating today is the same reason why Apc jubilated 4yrs ago at the emergence of Tambuwal as speaker. In politics, there are no permanent......even the prodigal son was pardoned and Saraki got pardoned. Tinubu and co got served.

58 Likes 5 Shares

Re: A Call For Preservation Of The Memories Of Today's Events by frankyychiji(f): 9:13pm On Jun 09, 2015
omenka:
undecided continue playing the ostrich.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Call For Preservation Of The Memories Of Today's Events by after1: 9:19pm On Jun 09, 2015
Firefire:

That is my personal dream, also to allow balance of power without anyone claiming Lord over another.

live and let live.

I am only laughing at you gullibles doing follow follow to people mocking your region for voting for there choice. More reason i group you all together, how is Tinubu equals to SW that you and your fellow Igbo bigots are throwing stones at the SW. I hope you dont preach to me when we start our own. Awon alatenuje to nfo wo osi juwe ile baba won.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Call For Preservation Of The Memories Of Today's Events by frankyychiji(f): 9:21pm On Jun 09, 2015
Rawani:

Glossy photo? Of a brainless medieval septuagenarian! Smdh!

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Call For Preservation Of The Memories Of Today's Events by Nobody: 9:27pm On Jun 09, 2015
Barcanista, mogidi, francizy, mizmycoli, nigeriavenom, dearpreye, serveusnape, CSTR, babeeboi, CR77, zimoni, come and join omenka to mourn the loss of Jagaban and APC leadership

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A Call For Preservation Of The Memories Of Today's Events by Firefire(m): 9:29pm On Jun 09, 2015
after1:

[s] I am only laughing at you gullibles doing follow follow to people mocking your region for voting for there choice. More reason i group you all together, how is Tinubu equals to SW that you and your fellow Igbo bigots are throwing stones at the SW. I hope you dont preach to me when we start our own. Awon alatenuje to nfo wo osi juwe ile baba won[/s].

Mi o ri aye osi jor, grin grin grin

Nigeria and South West is too big for one selfish elements to pocket.

26 Likes

Re: A Call For Preservation Of The Memories Of Today's Events by Pangea: 9:30pm On Jun 09, 2015
omenka:
Good evening all.

This thread isn't created to spite any one or any people. It is just a wake up call to majority Nigerians, who happen to be very poor at remembering events of history and how they are meant to shape our thought processes and indeed orientation.

Now, very interesting events happened in the last 24 hours in our National Legislative Chambers. Both chambers were inaugurated and their leadership elected. APC being the dominant party clinched the top spots in both chambers, but as we all know, PDP and her supporters seem to be the most jubilant party over the outcome of the elections, why, one might be tempted to ask.

In the run up to the general elections, Saraki whom PDP supported doggedly in the just concluded NASS election, was hounded by the same party, threatened with all manner of sanctions that eventually culminated in his exit from the party. His rift with the party (PDP) and the presidency back then, began with his blowing the lid on what has come to be known as the biggest heist in the nation's history- the Subsidy Scam- which ran into tens of billions of dollars. He was buffeted from all sides with all manner of allegations and barely survived having himself locked up in jail. He eventually found a sanctuary in the opposition, now the ruling party.

Now, inexplicably, the same party that threw everything but the kitchen sink at this recalcitrant and rebellious congressman sees him as a valiant, their knight in shining armour. Wonders huh? Well they voted for him in the absence of half of the members of the Senate as the Senate president, case closed., and for what?- just to spite the opposition, maybe, and to have their man as the Deputy.

In the Green Chamber, Dagora emerged the Speaker. I know quite little about him, but nevertheless, that is immaterial to the crux of this piece.

Here's what my problem is: during the electioneering campaigns, Nigerians/electorates were subjected to all manner of divisive and potentially catastrophic propaganda from the PDP. To mention a few, we saw things like-

1. Buhari is too old to be a leader.

2. Buhari is a terrorist sponsor.

3. Buhari has fossilised ideas and cannot lead a 21st century country effectively.

4. Buhari has prostate cancer and might die soon.

5. Buhari's candidacy is a product Northern conspiracy for National domination.

6. Buhari is "tribalistic".

7. The Northerners suffer from a "Born to Rule Syndrome".

8. APC is a party akin to the Muslim Brotherhood of Egypt. It is dominated by Muslims and Northerners.

And others too numerous to mention.

Numbers 5-8 are my major concern.

Most of the points listed above were propagated and hammered on by same people who are jubilant over the emergence of Dagora and Saraki as Speaker HoR and Senate President respectively. Dagora is a Northerner, Saraki is from North Central (includes christian dominated states such as Taraba, plateau, Benue, but when the time comes, PDP will call him a "Northerner", and when you say "North", everyone thinks "Islam/Muslim). It is necessary putting this in writing because a time will come, perhaps in 2019, when PDP would want to replay that ethnic, religious, and regional cards which appears to be the only ammo in their arsenal- polarise Nigerians along these lines, have them vote based on these sentiments, and see to your retention in office!

Now, the situation we have at present shows Three of the Top Four Positions are occupied by "Northerners" but PDP is happy about it and apparently has no qualms whatsoever with the arrangement.

I have always been against all that North, South, East, West, Muslim, Christian, Hausa, Yoruba, Igbo politicking. It has never and will never be the panacea to Nigeria's innumerable problems. Have always been pro Nigeria and would always support whoever it is that gets into an office as far as their competence isn't in doubt.

Without the support of PDP, what happened today wouldn't have happened, so we would hold them to account when the time comes, and remind them of their lofty stance at this time.

The events of today should effectively put to rest all that ethnoreligious politicking that PDP is known for.

We look forward to a very productive National Assembly.

Congrats to Saraki.

Congrats to Dagora.

God Bless the Federal Republic of Nigeria.

Cc: Seun, Ishilove, Lalasticlala.

Cc: Passingshot, Mynd44, maclatunji, OAM4J, Obiagelli, Gbawe, Donphilopus, Midolian, Beremx, NgeneUkwenu, Chuhbie.

What happened today Is a big lesson to APC never to underestimate the overly ambitious politicians in her fold.
It's also a lesson to cover all political calculations.
Never to be blindsided again
It is still an amazement to me that they never saw this coming!
When PDP has been bragging on the pages of the newspaper that they will capitalise on the division in APC and hijack the house.
Over confidence kills!

23 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Father And Son Boko Haram Terrorists Arrested By Troops During Patrol. Photos / Celebrations Of Buharis Victory From Across The Nation. Videos. / FG Launches Open Treasury Portal (OTP)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.