Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,915 members, 7,835,057 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 02:46 AM

My 4 Bedroom Project - Properties (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / My 4 Bedroom Project (86576 Views)

My 4 Bedroom Under Construction. / 3 Bedroom Project At Shimawa, Expert Needed. / Urgent Enquiry On A 3 Bedroom Project (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (24) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My 4 Bedroom Project by Dominionng(m): 11:26pm On Jun 03, 2016
Wall lights in homes is not 'old fashioned'! As a matter of fact it blends with the ceiling lights perfectly. What is 'old fashioned' is having it close to the ceiling or using a 'half moon' wall light.

3 Likes

Re: My 4 Bedroom Project by agarawu23(m): 2:09am On Jun 04, 2016
This particular one the op did can't be compared to the ones you uploaded. Its old and local. Modern Houses don't welcome them anymore. You can spot the difference, He's is romancing the ceiling already and you can imagine the space that will be left between the pop and the wall lights. I hope he won't be doing the side pop too.

How will one fix excess light in a living room when it's not a disco/night club.

Well, different strokes for different folks.

3 Likes

Re: My 4 Bedroom Project by KolaShangOne(m): 6:46am On Jun 04, 2016
FastShipping:

I tire for the guy o! He's only being stubborn to accept his logic isn't the right way to do this. It is a simple logic to do these things after painting but he's too stubborn to admit it. I saw other things too that should have been done in other way but I just chose to be quiet.

Thanks for the encouragement sir..

@fastshipping You can point out things that will make for better learning if you see anything wrong.

In reality, this is how most toilets on Tiles are fixed in Nigeria. I see that Obodo oyibo pic that was posted. Just wait till you see the final product here.. The job is still in progress and in STAGES if you understand.

There are more than 1 way to kill a bird.

And about electrical, @twinskenny who is an expert says it was done the right way but it might not be your own way.

Thanks for the observations. We will make amends where necessary.

1 Like

Re: My 4 Bedroom Project by KolaShangOne(m): 6:49am On Jun 04, 2016
EgunMogaji:

Even if you have to add small money for the extra effort (Brabus and Spyder880 don say na money responsible for lackluster quality in Nigeria) wink

When your guest go in there to "download data" you want them to be impressed and say

Kai mana, ile yi ma dara o, ile igbosen gan, eyan otimo wipe awon ara ilu ebo ni won.

Ko da, nfe jade kuro nibe rara grin

LOL.

1 Like

Re: My 4 Bedroom Project by KolaShangOne(m): 6:51am On Jun 04, 2016
mufutau55:

Section-1 - I and you are on the same point.
section-2 - Also on the same point.... don't they have drills in Nigeria anymore to drill thru the Tiles?

I guess we all have our ways of doing things. Regardless, @Kolashangone is doing a good job on that project. Your artisans are good.

Hajji M.

Thank you Hajj. Still a work in progress.
Re: My 4 Bedroom Project by KolaShangOne(m): 6:54am On Jun 04, 2016
EgunMogaji:

He wants to know how much you spent for the house wiring?

Egun "translating naija to aussie since 2016" Mogaji grin

@ricki is trying to ask how much electrical piping, wiring, switches, sockets, lights cost...?
Re: My 4 Bedroom Project by ricki: 9:59am On Jun 04, 2016
for me i am going for pop recess roof with led light with variable colors. plus 6 to 8 tiny lights in de centre surroundings and 2 ceiling fans with fancy light and remote control ofcourse.

like thus

Re: My 4 Bedroom Project by msogunro: 2:38pm On Jun 04, 2016
furnituresales:

@bplenty We at Remington Designs would like to offer you some of our quality furniture at very affordable prices.

You can get in-touch on:

remingtonng@gmail.com

@bplenty, please permit to ask this question.

@furnituresales, please correct me if I am wrong but the wall in the picture below appears to be exposed cement block. True? No disrespect, but is that furniture you built for a client in Nigeria or was that image pulled from the web?

I want to have exposed block inside my home and I will be extremely happy if that is a picture you took in Nigeria. I was hoping Naija weather doesn't have an adverse impact on interior exposed block and this answers my question.

Re: My 4 Bedroom Project by allCopacetic: 4:31pm On Jun 04, 2016
KolaShangOne:

I see that Obodo oyibo pic that was posted. Just wait till you see the final product here.
You don't seem to be open to contrary opinion, what you have highly esteemed as an 'obodo oyibo" pic is frm a job done by a builder like you, on nairaland, in Lagos.

There are several ways to kill a bird...some are less efficient than others.
You dey try chief, you need to be more receptive

8 Likes

Re: My 4 Bedroom Project by KolaShangOne(m): 4:55pm On Jun 04, 2016
allCopacetic:

You don't seem to be open to contrary opinion, what you have highly esteemed as an 'obodo oyibo" pic is frm a job done by a builder like you, on nairaland, in Lagos.

There are several ways to kill a bird...some are less efficient than others.
You dey try chief, you need to be more receptive

Sorry about that. It's not a form of argument. I was just trying to give my own opinions. We all know say shoe get size. If you know what I mean.

Aside from this

Just this morning we received news of stealing just 4 houses before ours. All plumbing fittings were carefully removed. The thief entered through the external Ceiling. A parapet would have stopped this petty robber. As much as its aesthetically pleasing, it's also a security feature.

Using asbestos / PVC will offer lowest resistance. Aluminum will still try. Concrete fascia is the best to prevent situations like this.
Re: My 4 Bedroom Project by KolaShangOne(m): 5:12pm On Jun 04, 2016
Dominionng:
Wall lights in homes is not 'old fashioned'! As a matter of fact it blends with the ceiling lights perfectly. What is 'old fashioned' is having it close to the ceiling or using a 'half moon' wall light.

My Oga Pata Pata,

We would love to have the best finishes too. Spanish Tiles of 8000 per sqm, instead of China of 2,500 per 1.44sqm, water closets of 50,000-100, 000 instead of 13,500. Many houses still use 50naira bulb instead of 300naira energy bulbs. Affordability.

3 Likes

Re: My 4 Bedroom Project by Nobody: 5:45pm On Jun 04, 2016
KolaShangOne:

My Oga Pata Pata,

We would love to have the best finishes too. Spanish Tiles of 8000 per sqm, instead of China of 2,500 per 1.44sqm, water closets of 50,000-100, 000 instead of 13,500. Many houses still use 50naira bulb instead of 300naira energy bulbs. Affordability.

Very true and nothing wrong with that.

But I beg of you Sir, try to show alternatives to this OP specifically, whenever possible. You may be doing that already.
Re: My 4 Bedroom Project by Nobody: 5:53pm On Jun 04, 2016
KolaShangOne:

Sorry about that. It's not a form of argument. I was just trying to give my own opinions. We all know say shoe get size. If you know what I mean.

Aside from this

Just this morning we received news of stealing just 4 houses before ours. All plumbing fittings were carefully removed. The thief entered through the external Ceiling. A parapet would have stopped this petty robber. As much as its aesthetically pleasing, it's also a security feature.

Using asbestos / PVC will offer lowest resistance. Aluminum will still try. Concrete fascia is the best to prevent situations like this.

Is there anything else I can do more than the natural protection that a flat roof offers to ensure specifically against this means of entry?

Thanks.

Re: My 4 Bedroom Project by mufutau55(m): 6:04pm On Jun 04, 2016
EgunMogaji:

Is there anything else I can do more than the natural protection that a flat roof offers to ensure specifically against this means of entry?
Thanks.

In my BQ build, I had similar situation as above.. the verandah part that I used PVC for sealing..
I thought to myself that someone can just punch the PVC and made an entry to the house.
So what I did was to tell the carpenter to nail 1x12x12 pieces of wood to the 2x2 ceiling nogging wood
to cover the empty space from inside the ceiling, then cover the outside/external with the PVC like a
regular PVC ceiling is there. They will get a surprise when they try to break the PVC to get entry into the building.

Hajji M.

2 Likes

Re: My 4 Bedroom Project by KolaShangOne(m): 6:13pm On Jun 04, 2016
EgunMogaji:

Thanks.

I'm thinking.. If we put blocks on the perimeter of the building, ( External wall right round). That is, on top of the wall plate. Even if the external ceiling is breached, the burglar will just meet with blocks staring him in the face like angry angry tongue

2 Likes

Re: My 4 Bedroom Project by allCopacetic: 6:14pm On Jun 04, 2016
KolaShangOne:

Aside from this
No offence taken chief, we on the same team. I perfectly understand your perspective with regards to budgets
Re: My 4 Bedroom Project by allCopacetic: 6:15pm On Jun 04, 2016
mufutau55:

They will get a surprise when they try to break the PVC to get entry into the building.

Hajji M.
cheesy
Re: My 4 Bedroom Project by Nobody: 6:15pm On Jun 04, 2016
mufutau55:

In my BQ build, I had similar situation as above.. the verandah part that I used PVC for sealing..
I thought to myself that someone can just punch the PVC and made an entry to the house.
So what I did was to tell the carpenter to nail 1x12x12 pieces of wood to the empty space from inside
the ceiling, then cove the outside/external with the PVC like a regular PVC ceiling is there.
They will get a surprise when they try to break the PVC to get entry into the building.

Hajji M.

That's good to note.

The aluminum roof touches the concrete walls on all four sides, so to gain entrance they would have to remove either the aluminum roof itself or break the concrete wall.

This theft issue in new areas is why I didn't continue to plumbing, wiring, windows and doors on the garage apartment and opted to continue to raise the walls on the main house. Maybe by the time I roof the main house then the neighborhood would have developed more.

Re: My 4 Bedroom Project by Nobody: 6:17pm On Jun 04, 2016
KolaShangOne:

I'm thinking.. If we put blocks on the perimeter of the building, ( External wall right round). That is, on top of the wall plate. Even if the external ceiling is breached, the burglar will just meet with blocks staring him in the face like angry angry tongue

Okay, this is what I ended up with by the sloped roof.

It's unfortunate that Mr. Oz will have to go to these extra expenses due to thieving asshats angry
Re: My 4 Bedroom Project by Nobody: 6:19pm On Jun 04, 2016
mufutau55:

So what I did was to tell the carpenter to nail 1x12x12 pieces of wood to the 2x2 ceiling nogging wood
to cover the empty space from inside the ceiling, then cove the outside/external with the PVC like a
regular PVC ceiling is there. They will get a surprise when they try to break the PVC to get entry into the building.

Hajji M.

Hajj, how satisfied are you with PVC for soffit use?

Over time are you still good with it?
Re: My 4 Bedroom Project by allCopacetic: 6:27pm On Jun 04, 2016
EgunMogaji:

Thanks.
if your walls meet the ceiling joists all round, the way i think they do, then that kind of beach is not possible, considering the single incline roof you have.

2 Likes

Re: My 4 Bedroom Project by Nobody: 6:31pm On Jun 04, 2016
allCopacetic:
if your walls meet the ceiling joists all round, the way i think they do, then that kind of beach is not possible, considering the single incline roof you have.

Thank you Sir.

@TwinsKenny over to you wink
Re: My 4 Bedroom Project by KolaShangOne(m): 6:46pm On Jun 04, 2016
allCopacetic:

No offence taken chief, we on the same team. I perfectly understand your perspective with regards to budgets

Thank you boss.
@EgunMogaji Yes we are brainstorming and considering alternatives where economically feasible. Thank you
Re: My 4 Bedroom Project by KolaShangOne(m): 6:54pm On Jun 04, 2016
mufutau55:

to cover the empty space from inside the ceiling, then cove the outside/external with the PVC like a

Hajji M.

That's a less stressful and equally preventive solution. This Nigeria, you can't even build without considering various cons of the men of the underworld and how to prevent them.

I once suggested a double swing glass door with hidden hinges like the door @EgunMogaji posted sometime ago. He just laughed and said Ikorodu boys will breach the door In 2 secs.

1 Like

Re: My 4 Bedroom Project by KolaShangOne(m): 6:58pm On Jun 04, 2016
EgunMogaji:

Okay, this is what I ended up with by the sloped roof.

It's unfortunate that Mr. Oz will have to go to these extra expenses due to thieving asshats angry

True. That's the only solution I can come up with for now. I haven't broken the news to him yet about the cost we will incure with the solution.

@allCopacetic Flat roofs are unbreachable from the external ceiling as you pointed out especially as the gable is made with blocks.

I'm having to pay for security for the 2 nights my workers will be away for the weekend.
Re: My 4 Bedroom Project by allCopacetic: 7:23pm On Jun 04, 2016
KolaShangOne:

I'm having to pay for security for the 2 nights my workers will be away for the weekend.
quite sad, a few of my customers have had problems with wire theft.. cables running into hundreds of thousands of naira pulled out from the pipes... most likely sold as uninsultated copper for paltry sums

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My 4 Bedroom Project by twinskenny(m): 9:07pm On Jun 04, 2016
EgunMogaji:

Thanks.
well I believe you are doing electric fence for the whole perimeter? Then we go mount ceeceeteevee grin

1 Like

Re: My 4 Bedroom Project by Nobody: 9:25pm On Jun 04, 2016
twinskenny:
well I believe you are doing electric fence for the whole perimeter? Then we go mount ceeceeteevee grin

No electric fence for me, at least not initially unless when I am living there full time (15 year goal) and it's deemed required. SecCams will liter the whole complex though wink

Look at this beauty http://www.skybell.com
Re: My 4 Bedroom Project by Nobody: 10:11pm On Jun 04, 2016
allCopacetic:

quite sad, a few of my customers have had problems with wire theft.. cables running into hundreds of thousands of naira pulled out from the pipes... most likely sold as uninsultated copper for paltry sums

Karma is a female canine grin

https://www.nairaland.com/3146767/two-thieves-electrocuted-death-owerri
Re: My 4 Bedroom Project by Nobody: 10:21pm On Jun 04, 2016
KolaShangOne:

That's a less stressful and equally preventive solution. This Nigeria, you can't even build without considering various cons of the men of the underworld and how to prevent them.

I once suggested a double swing glass door with hidden hinges like the door @EgunMogaji posted sometime ago. He just laughed and said Ikorodu boys will breach the door In 2 secs.

As seen in the attached drawing, the primary door is the main security door and will be made of solid wood/metal combination.

The secondary door is the one that will be made of glass, in fact, it can be made with swiss cheese and it wouldn't matter grin

The attached picture is a built model of the plan that I'm building. You can see both doors, the glass one and the wooden one in the picture.

The ambience that I want to create is my family and guests not feeling entrapped or caged by security bars but still protected.

Re: My 4 Bedroom Project by allCopacetic: 12:02am On Jun 05, 2016
Quite unfortunate, young chaps
EgunMogaji:

Karma is a female canine grin

https://www.nairaland.com/3146767/two-thieves-electrocuted-death-owerri
Re: My 4 Bedroom Project by mufutau55(m): 1:56am On Jun 05, 2016
EgunMogaji:

Hajj, how satisfied are you with PVC for soffit use?
Over time are you still good with it?

It is Ok.. and it's for BQ anyway... the Baba duplex will get a good workout from Dominionng when time comes.
But I made sure I bought a good PVC which is from Amoula, it's one of the best. Need the info, let me know.

Hajji M.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (24) (Reply)

₦151Billion: World's Most Expensive Home, This Is What It Looks Like(Photos) / PROFESSIONAL TOUCH IN ALUMINIUM FABRICATION(windows,doors,rails) / Abuja Man Selling His House For N1.6trillion (photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.