Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,864 members, 7,810,293 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 06:04 AM

What Is The Right Age To Get Married? - Romance (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / What Is The Right Age To Get Married? (114661 Views)

When Is The Appropriate Age To Get Married? / What Is The Right Age For A Lady To Get Married? / What Is The Approximate Right Age For Marriage? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is The Right Age To Get Married? by Tobiegal(f): 12:05pm On Mar 13, 2007
Now dats soooooooo coooooooooooooool cheesy

I concur! grin
Re: What Is The Right Age To Get Married? by flajaque(f): 2:15pm On Mar 13, 2007
I always thought the best age for a woman to get married was about 22-24 but now, i think it should be more like 28 - 29 because that is when a girl knows she really ought to get married. For a man, i think the best age is 30 upwards because he is expected to be mature and ready to be a man and cater for a wife and children.

When people are young and in love, they think they must get married NOW! When they do get married however, real life comes upon them, the bills, their duties, funny habits, children etc and then, they start to feel trapped with no where to run. It's better to wait until you can't hold off any longer and then you'll know that you're entering it for good.

My 2k
Re: What Is The Right Age To Get Married? by 2old4that(m): 5:49pm On Mar 13, 2007
when one is independent
and has the wherewithal to take care of himself n your partner
Re: What Is The Right Age To Get Married? by macalurs(m): 5:58pm On Mar 13, 2007
When they do get married however, real life comes upon them, the bills, their duties, funny habits, children etc and then, they start to feel trapped with no where to run. It's better to wait until you can't hold off any longer and then you'll know that you're entering it for good.

I know this discussion is another matter of perception (like arguing about the features of the holy spirit) but don't you sense a contradiction in your statement? You mentioned that it is best to get married at 30 or so, what exactly makes that an age that a guy can't hold off any longer, as you already stated that young people in love face a compuilsion to marry. . .

who exactly sets that hold-off-no-longer-age? Some people can't hold off any longer at age 21. I can hold off till age 90, I'm that willed. If your position were to be true, everyone would marry their first love.

Laws of perception flaw the 'one shoe fits all' theory, and on every ground. For instance, in America, at 18, your parents are kicking you out of the house. You're paying your college fees. You're getting your own apartment, you're 'discovering' yourself. You're prepping your religious mask, or even glueing it to your face (quite early). You've impregnated your girlfriend, and she's having a baby boy. HA! If that's what you mean by maturity, hmmm.
In Naija, you're a baby till you're done with college, your mom still washes your clothes. You still ask your dad for tuition money. Even when you're done, you go to your parents to help you find a girl, or you announce it to your friends to keep an eye out for you. you're making N100,000 a month. If that's maturity, hmmm.

If maturity is embracing religion, and becoming born again, the we're presented with another logical fallacy-- because religion doesn't go hand in hand with effective problem solving.

So I guess the question is "what is maturity?" The answer is: your definition.

if you don't think you're mature, then don't even think about marriage. Anyone can get married at any age, if the law allows you to. The question is rather: "what age is one 'mature' enough to handle the challenges of marriage?"

3 Likes

Re: What Is The Right Age To Get Married? by alabiyemmy(m): 5:59pm On Mar 13, 2007
simple - when u r ready - u can be 50 and not be ready to take responsibilities - it isint about the age.
Re: What Is The Right Age To Get Married? by neelsel(f): 2:09am On May 21, 2007
@topic

45,, that's the age, menopause setting in, money in the bank and no time to waste,
Re: What Is The Right Age To Get Married? by OmoEko1(f): 2:12am On May 21, 2007
neelsel:

@topic

45,, that's the age, menopause setting in, money in the bank and no time to waste,
Crazy ass cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy am telling your mama wink
Re: What Is The Right Age To Get Married? by minute(f): 2:29am On May 21, 2007
u kno i think shes right @omo-eko for some crazy reasons.
Re: What Is The Right Age To Get Married? by creamdream: 4:24pm On Jul 26, 2007
just a minute, am kinda miffed, too much coffee maybe, well 25 isnt bad, but there is no ideal age really.NO HARD AND FAST RULE about tying the knot!!
Re: What Is The Right Age To Get Married? by kanmosyl(m): 5:01pm On Jul 26, 2007
Hi all,

U guys have said it all but i just believe that wisdom is a principal thing and we should all get wisdom and in all our getting we should get understanding about this issue.

The right time for marriage has been an issue everywhere and it is something we come around everytime but personal perspective, views and opinion i believe most people especially guys are running from responsibility bcus we get to see pple who are well to do and matured enough to get married running from it, so it all depends on personal conviction towards this thread.

I met a lady some months away,i told her i have a plan to get married in the next seven years when i will be 31 yrs (cus i believe so much in 31) she screamed and said im a wicked guy, i want to use and dump her that she is not ready to wait for seven years.
My responce was i ve got a big vision for my wife to be and kids, i wont get married until i ve set 60 to 70% percent of the plans running.she left me and started calling me names but i dont bloody care i must achieve that( personal opinion).
Re: What Is The Right Age To Get Married? by Mandora(f): 8:55am On Jul 27, 2007
For guys, early 30's, 4 girls, mid/late 20's. But den again u shld b bothred abt d maturity of d person n not d person's age. Marrying very early could b a disadvantage because u may end up feelin like it was somethin u rushed in 2
Re: What Is The Right Age To Get Married? by Emad(f): 4:42pm On Aug 23, 2007
i think for Women, lets marry at 46 when you have used up all your oil and money
then you find a sweet bobo of 21 ( just so that you will not be accused of cradle robbing ) grin
Re: What Is The Right Age To Get Married? by seunniji(m): 10:48pm On Sep 01, 2007
THE RIGHT AGE FOR MARRIAGE IS WHEN YOU HAVE , .LESS TO DO,MORE TIME TO DO IT,AND MORE PAY FOR NOT GETTING IT DONE
Re: What Is The Right Age To Get Married? by angelwrite(f): 7:40am On Sep 02, 2007
There is an age that legally u can get married but there is really no particular age u should be marrried. Being married takes a lot which u have to plan about.

Im almost 30 and not married, ive never been picky with men but from one dissapointment to the other im not panicky becos i know when the right time comes it will be, i dont know when that will be what age i will be but i know that one day it will come
Re: What Is The Right Age To Get Married? by kingzy(m): 7:55am On Sep 02, 2007
Below 30, I don dieo. I'm presently 30 and a professional, still want to start my executive MBA ending of next yr at university of oil city(PH) but presently making bucks. Have not taken the decision to get married(Have met girls and will still meet more). So is it when I have decided that I will start searching or when I have got that I will decide, When will that be o and who will it be o.
Re: What Is The Right Age To Get Married? by LadyGodiva(f): 5:52am On Sep 03, 2007
Seun I understand what you're saying. We do need to face the fact that men think we're old after a while.
But what about financial independence? That usually comes at a certain age, and we'd rather not be asking for money when it's time to go to the hair salon
Re: What Is The Right Age To Get Married? by ifyeve1(f): 9:37am On Sep 03, 2007
well, there is time for everything, and what doing good is worth doing well. thus, age some how matters in a marraiage and another thing in life is achievement and marturity. for one to marry is one thing another thing is the happiness u create for urself in marriage through your achiement becausemarriage without focus is equall to nothing.because the objective of settling down will not be attained. so focuse should be the key issue before marriage is made.so be u mala or female, age isnot necessary the issue in life but ones objective. so know what u are going into and have a means of tackling ur challenges to atlleast give u 60% happiness in marriage because it not an easy task.thus, the end product is planning.-cheers all smiley
Re: What Is The Right Age To Get Married? by lololo(m): 9:53pm On Sep 06, 2007
right age for marriage? issssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss 2000 grin grin grin grin
Re: What Is The Right Age To Get Married? by fayahsoul: 9:42pm On Jan 04, 2009
[size=20pt]Just let the ball bounce where it may. Let destiny take its natural course!! Live now.[/size]
Re: What Is The Right Age To Get Married? by Cayon(f): 10:10pm On Jan 04, 2009
after reading this thread I feel bad inside

I am 27. Guess i should start panicking or just say yes the next time he ask undecided

Thanks fyahsoul for digging-up a thread over three years old.  Geeze!!!!  Haven’ t you heard the saying "Let sleeping Threads Lie" grin

Peace
Re: What Is The Right Age To Get Married? by JJYOU: 10:19pm On Jan 04, 2009
Cayon:

after reading this thread I feel bad inside

I am 27. Guess i should start panicking or just say yes the next time he ask undecided

Thanks fyahsoul for digging-up a thread over three years old. Geeze!!!! Haven’ t you heard the saying "[b]Let sleeping Threads Lie[/b]" grin

Peace
how could he make you feel guilty if he let it alone. didnt know you were only 27. tot u waz 40something.
Re: What Is The Right Age To Get Married? by Cayon(f): 11:38pm On Jan 04, 2009
JJYOU:

how could he make you feel guilty if he let it alone. didnt know you were only 27. tot u waz 40something.
There are 2 ways you can find out about me

if you are living in NY or NJ i'll definitely make time to meet you.  if you are not living in the USA - send davidylan (he is also bi-curious grin), as per davidylan blog he is living in NJ so he can meet with me and report back to you.  what say you. 

MEETING MUST BE IN BROAD DAY LIGHT AT A RESTAURANT OR ANY BUSY PUBLIC PLACE.  WHAT SAY YOU?  If you are living in Nigeria - i'll be there in April with my mum (free lance writer) and some of her friends.

See i make you an offer you can't refuse wink Although i must admit when folks ask "what age to put" - i always tell them to put 40something b/c i am very superstitious about age.
Re: What Is The Right Age To Get Married? by chyk91(m): 12:16am On Jan 05, 2009
for a guy, i think 28-30 is ok 4 marriage.
4 a lady i think 23-26 is ok 4 marriage.
Re: What Is The Right Age To Get Married? by Nobody: 2:12am On Jan 05, 2009
Re: What Is The Right Age To Get Married? by busybein: 2:53am On Jan 05, 2009
girls,from 18

guys na them know tongue
Re: What Is The Right Age To Get Married? by Vonny: 5:54am On Jan 05, 2009
There is no right age to get married. I believe the later the better; thus, the more dating and life experiences the better. I don't think there is a right age, instead, I believe their is a right time. That right time being once you've found yourself, and have full understanding of who you are and what you expect out of your life and your life with your partner.
Re: What Is The Right Age To Get Married? by Cayon(f): 3:17pm On Jan 11, 2009
i’ve fallen in love, that in it took me by surprise. I’ve been quite guarded with my emotions for a long time and it just sort of happened. I really want to trust the relationship and relax but I’ve been having a few problems. Teardrops from the past have been weighing me down and even though I’ve realized this, I’ve had a difficult few weeks dealing with my insecurities.
The object of my affection is an amazing person, a talented, intelligent man who appears to have a lot of patience with me. I have been honest with him, which for him must be quite offensive to hear, although I think he understands. For him I want to move past this period of doubt, i have a chance to share my world and I don’t want to let it slip through my fingers.

Today, I am hoping to answer his question "will you marry me". When I do, the answer is going to be yes. Saying yes, then for me 27 is the right age to get married.

Peace
Re: What Is The Right Age To Get Married? by chrystee: 4:47pm On Mar 25, 2009
Hi
I just stumbled on this topic and deciced to make a contribution.I agree that marriage has a lot to do with financial stability,maturity,love,and above all God's plan for you but ladies should have it at the back of their minds that your chances of childbearing are reduced as your age increases.Medically,ladies in their early to mid twenties stand a better chance(25%) chance of conception every month while those from their mid-twenties to early thirties have a 20% chance.those in their mid thirties have a 15% chance and when a woman starts having children at that age,that's when you might have cases of down syndrome,slowpoke children and so on considering that you will space your childrens age,its always good to start on time but that doesn't mean that if you havent found Mr Right you should become desperate.Work on your reasoning and dont wait for maturity,you can attain it by being logical in your reasoning.So for the ladies,pray to God to get married say in your early to mid 20's cos i know of a lady who got married at 20 only to have fertility issues that lasted for 10years.She had her 1st child at 30 so due to her early  marriage she didnt have much to loose as most of her mates who got married at late20's/early 30's just had about the same number of kids.Guys when you are financially stable and ready for a lifelong commitment to one special lady,That's your own ideal age.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Right Age To Get Married? by yonybanta(m): 9:18am On Jun 06, 2009
I think there is no specific age for marriage, it depend on individual, a man can be 35 years but still behalf as a boy which automatically disqualify him. a lady who is 25 or 30 can still be thinking as a 5 years girl which makes her unqualified for marriage. you must be psychologically and physiologically matured to manage conflicts when it arrise, for definately there must be conflict because even if you are twins, there must be a day you will disagree over an issue not to talk of people who came from different background, different gender and different ways of thinking. what will bring you together again when you disagree or misunderstood each other is your maturity to manage conflicts. love alone without maturity and conflict management cannot keep couples together.

talking about economic, one need to be financially okay, as a man, you should know that food must be cooked three times a day, bills must be paid including children school fees.

generally, minimum years should be 21 for men and maximum should be 40 years, for children are not suppose to be raise by aging parents whose thinking capabilities are equal to that of children. for women, 18 should be minimum and 35, for by 18 she is physiologically matured to bear a child and by 35 she can at least give birth for 5 years before menopause.
Nengak Yohana yakubu

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Right Age To Get Married? by vanosa: 1:33pm On Jun 25, 2009
I THINK wat i understand about wat the poster is saying is WAT AGE IS RIGHT FOR SUM1 TO GET MARRIED? NOT WAT U SHUD HAVE B4 GETING MARRIED''OK ready and understand b4 contributing rubish ideals
Re: What Is The Right Age To Get Married? by denny4ril: 5:47pm On Apr 03, 2010
wink not really the age as the main thing but the maturity to handle issues and the readiness to solve problems should be aimed at!
Re: What Is The Right Age To Get Married? by Nwaka77: 1:50am On Apr 04, 2010
chrystee:

Hi
I just stumbled on this topic and deciced to make a contribution.I agree that marriage has a lot to do with financial stability,maturity,love,and above all God's plan for you but ladies should have it at the back of their minds that your chances of childbearing are reduced as your age increases.Medically,ladies in their early to mid twenties stand a better chance(25%) chance of conception every month while those from their mid-twenties to early thirties have a 20% chance.those in their mid thirties have a 15% chance and when a woman starts having children at that age,that's when you might have cases of down syndrome,slowpoke children and so on considering that you will space your childrens age,its always good to start on time but that doesn't mean that if you havent found Mr Right you should become desperate.Work on your reasoning and dont wait for maturity,you can attain it by being logical in your reasoning.So for the ladies,pray to God to get married say in your early to mid 20's cos i know of a lady who got married at 20 only to have fertility issues that lasted for 10years.She had her 1st child at 30 so due to her early marriage she didnt have much to loose as most of her mates who got married at late20's/early 30's just had about the same number of kids.Guys when you are financially stable and ready for a lifelong commitment to one special lady,That's your own ideal age.

I disagree with almost all you have said. I know alot of people that married in their 30's and still gave birth to healthy babies my humble self included. I equally know alot of people who marrid in their 20's and could not conceive until their 30's and even 40's. The most important thing is marrying at God's time not man made time. After all children come from God. I know atleast 3 people who were told they will never be able to conceive by so called medical doctors. Well guess what? They have healthy children today. One reason I stayed away from Naija people when I was singly back in the day and still do is their over sabi when it comes to issues of marraige, child bearing and the likes. You people are not God. Allow God's will to be done in people's lives and things will fall into place accordingly like it should. That is how you people rush in and by the time you hit 50, you are either divorced or looking for a younger woman to marry. Marraige amongst Africans and especially Naijas is mostly a mess and a scam; no mutual respect, no love, no affection; more like a master/slave relationship. Tufia! Thank God I don't live in that kinda society.

Peace out!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

The Trick I Used On My Girlfriend In Order To Know She's Been Cheating On Me / Lady Exposes Her Best Friend Who Has Been Having Sex With Her Husband (photos) / Pic: What Your Face Says About Your Vagina

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.