Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,622 members, 7,823,730 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 02:01 PM

Questions And Answers( All Pets, No Exceptions) - Pets - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / Questions And Answers( All Pets, No Exceptions) (10690 Views)

My Crazy Pets, Ceed And Piuni / Keeping Your Pets Flea & Tick - Free For 4 Years / Where Can I Get Crushed Noodles Waste For Pets? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Questions And Answers( All Pets, No Exceptions) by knyte(m): 10:42pm On Jun 24, 2015
A thread welcoming all questions pertaining to all pets and not just dogs and cats as we discuss here. Don't be shy because you might be seen as a novice, we all were once novices grin. So keep the questions coming in.
Re: Questions And Answers( All Pets, No Exceptions) by knyte(m): 10:53pm On Jun 24, 2015
Question: Do dogs have 6th senses?
Answer : yes dogs have sixth senses which gives them the ability to detect certain things before human can. This can be seen in the hearing, smelling and sight ability, we have even heard stories about dogs seeing/sensing ghosts presence but I don't know if those stories are far fetched but one thing that's true is that dogs have sixth senses and it enables them to notice a wide range of things.
Note: Dogs are not the only animals that have a sixth sense.
Re: Questions And Answers( All Pets, No Exceptions) by exclusive7(m): 1:21pm On Jun 25, 2015
knyte:
Question: Do dogs have 6th senses?
Answer : yes dogs have sixth senses which gives them the ability to detect certain things before human can. This can be seen in the hearing, smelling and sight ability, we have even heard stories about dogs seeing/sensing ghosts presence but I don't know if those stories are far fetched but one thing that's true is that dogs have sixth senses and it enables them to notice a wide range of things.
Note: Dogs are not the only animals that have a sixth sense.
..on my side being able to have studied canines....its not a '6th sense' kind of thing....when it comes to the sense of smell,a dogs sense of smell is 9times higher n hyper sensitive than that of a man...so when u perceive just d general aroma of ur jellof rice,a dog perceives the tomatoes,onion,thyme,curry n so on....their sight is sharper than ours then coupled with good ears that could detect sound from far away...dats y they re said to have a 6th sense(its not like its there..they are just sharper)...they hear the foot steps of that stranger from far away coming to ur gate,perceive his cologne even his body odor n re on red alert b4 he knocks on ur gate n d barking begins .so that's just the magic...a super high hyper sensitivity..dats it

1 Like

Re: Questions And Answers( All Pets, No Exceptions) by knyte(m): 3:15pm On Jun 25, 2015
exclusive7:
..on my side being able to have studied canines....its not a '6th sense' kind of thing....when it comes to the sense of smell,a dogs sense of smell is 9times higher n hyper sensitive than that of a man...so when u perceive just d general aroma of ur jellof rice,a dog perceives the tomatoes,onion,thyme,curry n so on....their sight is sharper than ours then coupled with good ears that could detect sound from far away...dats y they re said to have a 6th sense(its not like its there..they are just sharper)...they hear the foot steps of that stranger from far away coming to ur gate,perceive his cologne even his body odor n re on red alert b4 he knocks on ur gate n d barking begins .so that's just the magic...a super high hyper sensitivity..dats it
Nice, I agree that they have heightened sensitivity. Do you believe the myth about them being able to sense ghosts?
Re: Questions And Answers( All Pets, No Exceptions) by knyte(m): 3:59pm On Jun 25, 2015
Question: What is the best way to handle/prevent tick infestation?
Answer: Almost every dog owner battles with this at some point, TICKS. This has killed and ruined many kennels even when they seek appropriate help. Everyone has their own ways of handling tick problems and I also know a few stuffs that I believe would be helpful.
No 1: Am not really a fan of powder applied tick preventive methods cos every dog has their own response to these things and sometimes makers of these product don't emphasize how deadly ingesting this powder by the dog can be. So I'll rather stay off the powder.
No 2: I came across a spray called Bio-Finl of Fio- Finl(they serve d same purpose) then and I wanted to know how effective this spray was. Method of application is to smoother the dog's body with water and spray on areas like d neck, in BTW d toes, back and chest where ticks are more congested. IN minutes the result was amazing, it has a nice fragrance and it can be used on nursing mothers to prevent transmission of ticks from mother to pups as it has no effect.
No 3: For those that don't know about chemical bathe it should only be handled by careful hands. I personally use amirax 20 and it's superb but need to be handled with care so u don't kill your dog unintentionally. Method of application is mixing bout 2ml of the chemical into a big bucket of water. Make sure it's not too concentrated. Wet d dog the water at first, rinse off, apply d dog's shampoo, wash the dog thoroughly and then again rinse the shampoo with the water. This can also b used to clean their cages and surrounding but make sure that in this process the dog wears a mouth guard to prevent it from licking it's body and afterwards for bout 3days u give the dog palm oil and milk to counter any effect of the chemical.
No 4: I only use this for cleaning of their ears. Methylated spirit. I use this cos it's safe, rather that spraying inside of d the ear with chemicals. In a matter of minutes the ticks come out themselves dead and u can clean d laid eggs with cotton wool.
Sorry for the long post grin, other methods that work well for you are encouraged.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Questions And Answers( All Pets, No Exceptions) by Funmiladey(m): 4:20pm On Jun 25, 2015
Q: pls what are the early signs of pregnancy in dog, at least the first 14 days ?
Re: Questions And Answers( All Pets, No Exceptions) by okabe(m): 6:37pm On Jun 25, 2015
Question

What is the maximum number of times a bitch on heat can mate? (Both daily and throughout the heat period)
Re: Questions And Answers( All Pets, No Exceptions) by okabe(m): 6:39pm On Jun 25, 2015
Funmiladey:
Q: pls what are the early signs of pregnancy in dog, at least the first 14 days ?

Apart from lying around all day, you might think the dog is sick
Re: Questions And Answers( All Pets, No Exceptions) by Namdeenero(m): 7:47pm On Jun 25, 2015
Pls my pup has this lump on her skin that's causing her to scratch excessively, its kinda strong and bringing out a lil watery puss. I suspect is a bot fly larva cause my trainer took her to an open field, how do I remove it?
Re: Questions And Answers( All Pets, No Exceptions) by knyte(m): 8:02pm On Jun 25, 2015
Funmiladey:

Answer : You may not notice any signs during the first 2wks as its still early to determine if she's pregnant or not but subsequently you may notice increased or decreased appetite, behavioural changes, change in nipple colour, change in size of d dam, amongst others.

1 Like

Re: Questions And Answers( All Pets, No Exceptions) by knyte(m): 8:17pm On Jun 25, 2015
Namdeenero:
Pls my pup has this lump on her skin that's causing her to scratch excessively, its kinda strong and bringing out a lil watery puss. I suspect is a bot fly larva cause my trainer took her to an open field, how do I remove it?
Answer: When you press it, a maggot like nonsense wld come out, trust me it's disgusting. Afterwards clean d affected area with spirit preferably. it's caused when the dog's fur is wet causing flies to perch and lay eggs on it. If it's bot fly u need nt worry much bout it.
Re: Questions And Answers( All Pets, No Exceptions) by knyte(m): 8:17pm On Jun 25, 2015
okabe:
Question

What is the maximum number of times a bitch on heat can mate? (Both daily and throughout the heat period)
Answer: I feel on d 9th,11th and 13th day
Re: Questions And Answers( All Pets, No Exceptions) by Namdeenero(m): 8:25pm On Jun 25, 2015
knyte:

Answer: When you press it, a maggot like nonsense wld come out, trust me it's disgusting. Afterwards clean d affected area with spirit preferably. it's caused when the dog's fur is wet causing flies to perch and lay eggs on it. If it's bot fly u need nt worry much bout it.
Oga the lump is still kind strong when I touch it and it pains the pup, I don't think the larva has matured... Tho I haven't confirmed if its bot fly larva sha
Re: Questions And Answers( All Pets, No Exceptions) by knyte(m): 8:30pm On Jun 25, 2015
Namdeenero:
Oga the lump is still kind strong when I touch it and it pains the pup, I don't think the larva has matured... Tho I haven't confirmed if its bot fly larva sha
How big is the lump?maybe more Dan just botfly
Re: Questions And Answers( All Pets, No Exceptions) by Namdeenero(m): 8:36pm On Jun 25, 2015
knyte:

How big is the lump?maybe more Dan just botfly
Not so big, my other pup has been licking that area since tho I stopped her
Re: Questions And Answers( All Pets, No Exceptions) by knyte(m): 8:41pm On Jun 25, 2015
Namdeenero:
Not so big, my other pup has been licking that area since tho I stopped her
Would you say it looks like something like this without it been pressed?

Re: Questions And Answers( All Pets, No Exceptions) by Namdeenero(m): 8:53pm On Jun 25, 2015
knyte:

Would you say it looks like something like this without it been pressed?
Mehn that's so disgusting but yea, there's a small hole where the lil puss is coming out from
Re: Questions And Answers( All Pets, No Exceptions) by knyte(m): 9:30pm On Jun 25, 2015
Namdeenero:
Mehn that's so disgusting but yea, there's a small hole where the lil puss is coming out from
Don't knw how hard u say it is when you press it,but u can leave it till tomao evening and see what happens but before then others might be able to proffer solution to it.
Re: Questions And Answers( All Pets, No Exceptions) by okabe(m): 9:55pm On Jun 25, 2015
knyte:
Answer: I feel on d 9th,11th and 13th day
Tanks bro, I appreciate
Re: Questions And Answers( All Pets, No Exceptions) by knyte(m): 6:40am On Jun 26, 2015
okabe:

Tanks bro, I appreciate
Anytime, let's keep the thread alive cool
Re: Questions And Answers( All Pets, No Exceptions) by younghartz(m): 6:49am On Jun 26, 2015
exclusive7:

I guess humans also have that ability just that we actually don't rely on them.
Re: Questions And Answers( All Pets, No Exceptions) by knyte(m): 9:54am On Jun 26, 2015
younghartz:

I guess humans also have that ability just that we actually don't rely on them.
Humans do but definitely not as heightened as dogs.
Re: Questions And Answers( All Pets, No Exceptions) by exclusive7(m): 11:29am On Jun 26, 2015
knyte:

Nice, I agree that they have heightened sensitivity. Do you believe the myth about them being able to sense ghosts?
....Hell no!...most tyms the wind carries sound waves which we do not hear..dats y sometimes they run towards d direction of these strange sounds n bark..nd we think they see ghost
Re: Questions And Answers( All Pets, No Exceptions) by knyte(m): 11:32am On Jun 26, 2015
exclusive7:
....Hell no!...most tyms the wind carries sound waves which we do not hear..dats y sometimes they run towards d direction of these strange sounds n bark..nd we think they see ghost
LOL, that's why I said myth
Re: Questions And Answers( All Pets, No Exceptions) by knyte(m): 10:22am On Jun 27, 2015
Re: Questions And Answers( All Pets, No Exceptions) by Prodeegee(m): 10:36am On Jun 27, 2015
exclusive7:

Lol...you did little or no research.

1. Dogs have a keen sense of hearing.

2. Dogs hear untrasonic sounds, something the human ear can't pick.

3. Ghosts makes sounds said to be ultrasonic waves.

3. Ghost hunters have wave scanners that pick untrasonic sounds, reported to be emitted byghosts

So yes, we can say dogs can hear ghosts.
Re: Questions And Answers( All Pets, No Exceptions) by knyte(m): 2:51pm On Jun 27, 2015
Q- Dogs are known to go senile at some point, question is what causes it, what steps should one take to anticipate this and in a case of a trained attack dog what shld one do to avoid attacks?
Re: Questions And Answers( All Pets, No Exceptions) by exclusive7(m): 2:55pm On Jun 27, 2015
Prodeegee:

3. Ghost hunters have wave scanners that pick untrasonic sounds, reported to be emitted byghosts....ur funny...u believe in ghost..interesting.... N u believe dogs see them.
.dats nice..
I told you about the sounds n u searched n confirmed dogs can pick up sound we can't hear....now u say ghost make some sound that only dogs can..my question.How do you know what they hear are ghost sounds?...who brought the theory that ghost makes certain sounds(the person must really have slept in a cemetary....n i know u have not heard ghost sounds to believe that..)prove that theory too.....
Then b4 u slip off d main question..d question is about dogs being able to see ghost

Re: Questions And Answers( All Pets, No Exceptions) by exclusive7(m): 3:00pm On Jun 27, 2015
Prodeegee:

3. Ghost hunters have wave scanners that pick untrasonic sounds, reported to be emitted ebyghosts....
ur funny...u believe in ghost..interesting.... N u believe dogs see them.
.dats nice..
I told you about the sounds n u searched n confirmed dogs can pick up sound we can't hear....now u say ghost make some sound that only dogs can..my question.How do you know what they hear are ghost sounds?...who brought the theory that ghost makes certain sounds(the person must really have slept in a cemetary....n i know u have not heard ghost sounds to believe that..)prove that theory too.....
Then b4 u slip off d main question..d question is about dogs being able to see ghost

Re: Questions And Answers( All Pets, No Exceptions) by exclusive7(m): 3:06pm On Jun 27, 2015
Funny..u believe in ghost..interesting.... N u believe dogs see them.
.dats nice..
Then b4 u slip off d main question..d question is about dogs being able to see ghost...directed to prodeegee...

1 Like

Re: Questions And Answers( All Pets, No Exceptions) by Tylerdan(m): 7:42pm On Jun 27, 2015
knyte:
Q- Dogs are known to go senile at some point, question is what causes it, what steps should one take to anticipate this and in a case of a trained attack dog what shld one do to avoid attacks?

Nice thread knyte
In response to your question I'd refer you to the dogs genealogy (unfortunately in nigeria I have only heard of one breeder a rtd general in kaduna that maintenance his dogs genealogy) ok but to answer you dogs that become senile in old age tend to start to show aggressive behavior before finally getting to the all out point pls this may vary from breed to breed but since gsd are typical I'll use them as a typical example
They start to show signs of disregard for training
They become withdrawn and growl at nothing (it's believed they hallucinate).
They start to attack strangers
At this point they are almost gone.

Solution - If it's an all dog you have to put them down sadly. For younger dogs see a vet to confirm its not a missed vaccination manifesting in hyper aggressive behavior.
Prevention - breeding should be highly regulated and only mentally stable dogs with traceable pedigree should be bred.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

A Diary Of My Last Visit To Dogbreath Kennel On The 8-10/ APRIL/ 2016 / Malinois Puppies Available For Experience Hands. / Help! My Dogs Are Infested With Ticks!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.