Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,381 members, 7,812,116 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 08:33 AM

Questions And Answers( All Pets, No Exceptions) - Pets (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / Questions And Answers( All Pets, No Exceptions) (10636 Views)

My Crazy Pets, Ceed And Piuni / Keeping Your Pets Flea & Tick - Free For 4 Years / Where Can I Get Crushed Noodles Waste For Pets? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Questions And Answers( All Pets, No Exceptions) by Godspearl(f): 2:22pm On Jul 13, 2015
Tylerdan:

Thank you so much we look forward to you write ups and a lot of shelf information been tossed around I look forward to been educated by you
You are welcome.
Re: Questions And Answers( All Pets, No Exceptions) by Godspearl(f): 2:46pm On Jul 13, 2015
Always prevent your dogs from dirty and wet environment especially at dis season.Cutaneous myiasis (fly larva)can be very irritating ,old blanket with urine stench should be cleaned.
if u want to press the larva out , just put little hair cream on d swollen surface to make the larva uncomfortable,it will pop its head out and u can easily bring it out..
Always take care of ur dogs.
Re: Questions And Answers( All Pets, No Exceptions) by Tylerdan(m): 5:03pm On Jul 13, 2015
Guys and gals, ladies and gentlemen please let's try and get involved with the dog walk that's been planned for July 25th. This will be good for the social development of every dog.
Re: Questions And Answers( All Pets, No Exceptions) by knyte(m): 8:38am On Jul 29, 2015
Re: Questions And Answers( All Pets, No Exceptions) by bollarcash(m): 11:02pm On Aug 02, 2015
Hi, just found out my 3month old GSD has this myasis (fly lava). Lots of lumps on her skin, she scrathes herself all the time and when I press it the maggot like lava comes out... Is there a drug or spray I can use to eliminate them. Tnx
Re: Questions And Answers( All Pets, No Exceptions) by knyte(m): 7:26am On Aug 03, 2015
bollarcash:
Hi, just found out my 3month old GSD has this myasis (fly lava). Lots of lumps on her skin, she scrathes herself all the time and when I press it the maggot like lava comes out... Is there a drug or spray I can use to eliminate them. Tnx
Hmm am not sure but when I had an experience like that but not as worse as yours I tried to make sure my dog doesn't get its coat wet with dirt, urine and I always make sure uncleared faeces were taken care of. As for the few lumps remaining just get a mild disinfectant to clean d hole left after u press it. Pls provide feedback
Re: Questions And Answers( All Pets, No Exceptions) by kolajoo(m): 2:05pm On Sep 01, 2015
knyte:
Question: What is the best way to handle/prevent tick infestation?
Answer: Almost every dog owner battles with this at some point, TICKS. This has killed and ruined many kennels even when they seek appropriate help. Everyone has their own ways of handling tick problems and I also know a few stuffs that I believe would be helpful.
No 1: Am not really a fan of powder applied tick preventive methods cos every dog has their own response to these things and sometimes makers of these product don't emphasize how deadly ingesting this powder by the dog can be. So I'll rather stay off the powder.
No 2: I came across a spray called Bio-Finl of Fio- Finl(they serve d same purpose) then and I wanted to know how effective this spray was. Method of application is to smoother the dog's body with water and spray on areas like d neck, in BTW d toes, back and chest where ticks are more congested. IN minutes the result was amazing, it has a nice fragrance and it can be used on nursing mothers to prevent transmission of ticks from mother to pups as it has no effect.
No 3: For those that don't know about chemical bathe it should only be handled by careful hands. I personally use amirax 20 and it's superb but need to be handled with care so u don't kill your dog unintentionally. Method of application is mixing bout 2ml of the chemical into a big bucket of water. Make sure it's not too concentrated. Wet d dog the water at first, rinse off, apply d dog's shampoo, wash the dog thoroughly and then again rinse the shampoo with the water. This can also b used to clean their cages and surrounding but make sure that in this process the dog wears a mouth guard to prevent it from licking it's body and afterwards for bout 3days u give the dog palm oil and milk to counter any effect of the chemical.
No 4: I only use this for cleaning of their ears. Methylated spirit. I use this cos it's safe, rather that spraying inside of d the ear with chemicals. In a matter of minutes the ticks come out themselves dead and u can clean d laid eggs with cotton wool.
Sorry for the long post grin, other methods that work well for you are encouraged.
Copied
Re: Questions And Answers( All Pets, No Exceptions) by Prodeegee(m): 5:36pm On Sep 02, 2015
kenedy175:
hello pet lovers! wanted knowing if Tibetan mastiffs are bred here in Nigeria? thanks!
Yes it is. In Abuja
Re: Questions And Answers( All Pets, No Exceptions) by Nobody: 10:37pm On Sep 02, 2015
Pls what other factors in conjuction with behaviour/temprament, health issues, size, length of maturity and cost of upkeep should a novice dog lover consider before adopting any breed's pup.
Re: Questions And Answers( All Pets, No Exceptions) by survtony(m): 7:12am On Sep 03, 2015
Godspearl:
I was about to open a thread on zoonosis until i saw ur question...Foetus are some of the things we condemn in abattoir cuz of Brucellosis which is a zoonotic d6.and for u to get a fetus dt means an abortion occurred in d cow and d most common cause of late term abortion in cattle is Brucella bovis
except people now rear cattle get them pregnant and gives abortificients ooo.or maybe a pregnant cow was mistakenly slaughtered and d fetus was extracted and its been confirmed to be Brucella free.
But as we all know Nigerian will always say this vet people don come again...Brucellosis can cause recurrent abortion in ur dam

Does cooking the foetus kill the brucellosis?
Re: Questions And Answers( All Pets, No Exceptions) by knyte(m): 7:16am On Sep 03, 2015
survtony:

Does cooking the foetus kill the brucellosis?
I want to believe even if it doesn't kill it totally it reduces d potential damage it can cause.
Re: Questions And Answers( All Pets, No Exceptions) by survtony(m): 9:12am On Sep 03, 2015
knyte:

I want to believe even if it doesn't kill it totally it reduces d potential damage it can cause.

Ok, thanks
Re: Questions And Answers( All Pets, No Exceptions) by koppa(m): 12:50pm On Sep 03, 2015
knyte been more of a viewer here,and I must commend your good works,am new to keeping a dog as pet.y questions are

1) Is there any difference between a GSD and Alsatian

2) Is it possible to cross a GSD with a local dog
Re: Questions And Answers( All Pets, No Exceptions) by knyte(m): 2:13pm On Sep 03, 2015
koppa:
knyte been more of a viewer here,and I must commend your good works,am new to keeping a dog as pet.y questions are

No sir deres no difference Btw a German Shepherd and an Alsatian, they're the same.
And yes it's possible to cross a gsd with a local dog but the question is why? It. Wld ruin d genetic makeup and wat a breeder shld stand for. Breed for excellence

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Questions And Answers( All Pets, No Exceptions) by Charlesdegaulle: 2:17pm On Sep 03, 2015
Good thread...

1.How do i clean up my pregnant dogs(Boerboel and GSD)? Am used to bathing them with Chemicals but now that they are pregnant, and taking congnizance of its harmful effects, how can i achieve this?

2. My dogs are used to sleeping in cages made of metal. How do i prepare them for childbirth and also what material would be effective for the beddings after they deliver?
Re: Questions And Answers( All Pets, No Exceptions) by jeff1607(m): 3:56pm On Sep 03, 2015
knyte:
Question: What is the best way to handle/prevent tick infestation?
Answer: Almost every dog owner battles with this at some point, TICKS. This has killed and ruined many kennels even when they seek appropriate help. Everyone has their own ways of handling tick problems and I also know a few stuffs that I believe would be helpful.
No 1: Am not really a fan of powder applied tick preventive methods cos every dog has their own response to these things and sometimes makers of these product don't emphasize how deadly ingesting this powder by the dog can be. So I'll rather stay off the powder.
No 2: I came across a spray called Bio-Finl of Fio- Finl(they serve d same purpose) then and I wanted to know how effective this spray was. Method of application is to smoother the dog's body with water and spray on areas like d neck, in BTW d toes, back and chest where ticks are more congested. IN minutes the result was amazing, it has a nice fragrance and it can be used on nursing mothers to prevent transmission of ticks from mother to pups as it has no effect.
No 3: For those that don't know about chemical bathe it should only be handled by careful hands. I personally use amirax 20 and it's superb but need to be handled with care so u don't kill your dog unintentionally. Method of application is mixing bout 2ml of the chemical into a big bucket of water. Make sure it's not too concentrated. Wet d dog the water at first, rinse off, apply d dog's shampoo, wash the dog thoroughly and then again rinse the shampoo with the water. This can also b used to clean their cages and surrounding but make sure that in this process the dog wears a mouth guard to prevent it from licking it's body and afterwards for bout 3days u give the dog palm oil and milk to counter any effect of the chemical.
No 4: I only use this for cleaning of their ears. Methylated spirit. I use this cos it's safe, rather that spraying inside of d the ear with chemicals. In a matter of minutes the ticks come out themselves dead and u can clean d laid eggs with cotton wool.
Sorry for the long post grin, other methods that work well for you are encouraged.

Please where can the amirax 20 be gotten(amitraz)?tried looking but no luck
Re: Questions And Answers( All Pets, No Exceptions) by knyte(m): 7:42pm On Sep 03, 2015
jeff1607:

Pet shop shld av it but pls before bathing d dog read d instructions. And use a mouth guard,prevent the dog frm licking it's body
Re: Questions And Answers( All Pets, No Exceptions) by knyte(m): 7:45pm On Sep 03, 2015
jeff1607:

Pet shops shld av it but pls read up d instructions bfre bathing d dog nd use a mouth guard to prevent the dog frm licking it's body
Re: Questions And Answers( All Pets, No Exceptions) by kenedy175(m): 10:43am On Sep 06, 2015
Hello! I'm planning to mate my male Caucasian shepherd and I want to know what is involved. Like how much should I ask the person to bring? And will I also get a puppy when it gives birth?
Re: Questions And Answers( All Pets, No Exceptions) by knyte(m): 1:38pm On Sep 06, 2015
kenedy175:
Hello! I'm planning to mate my male Caucasian shepherd and I want to know what is involved. Like how much should I ask the person to bring? And will I also get a puppy when it gives birth?
Yes sure entitled to a puppy frm d owner of d bitch wen she finally whelp. Since it's ur first time using ur male can get am experienced handler to help u with d mating of d bitch so u see how it done and pick a thing or two frm dere
Re: Questions And Answers( All Pets, No Exceptions) by kenedy175(m): 1:41pm On Sep 06, 2015
knyte:

Yes sure entitled to a puppy frm d owner of d bitch wen she finally whelp. Since it's ur first time using ur male can get am experienced handler to help u with d mating of d bitch so u see how it done and pick a thing or two frm dere
Okay... apart from getting a pup, do I still charge the guy? And if yes, how much are we talking of here?
Thanks for your response
Re: Questions And Answers( All Pets, No Exceptions) by knyte(m): 8:17pm On Sep 06, 2015
kenedy175:

Okay... apart from getting a pup, do I still charge the guy? And if yes, how much are we talking of here?
Thanks for your response
Yea u av d right to bill him too..for a Caucasian it can b Btw 10k nd more depending in d quality of d stud nd d relationship u av with d individual.
Re: Questions And Answers( All Pets, No Exceptions) by kenedy175(m): 9:51am On Sep 07, 2015
knyte:

Yea u av d right to bill him too..for a Caucasian it can b Btw 10k nd more depending in d quality of d stud nd d relationship u av with d individual.
The guy saw me walking my dog and liked him. Never met him before. Will I also have to request for his Dams health certificate? And how long is this mating process

1 Like

Re: Questions And Answers( All Pets, No Exceptions) by knyte(m): 10:43am On Sep 07, 2015
kenedy175:

The guy saw me walking my dog and liked him. Never met him before. Will I also have to request for his Dams health certificate? And how long is this mating process
Yea u can do that.. Timing frm d guy who owns d bitch shld determine that.. Once deres a "lock" Btw both dogs u good. But like I said it wld b nice if u can contact smone who has handled ds bfore so next time u can handle it urself
Re: Questions And Answers( All Pets, No Exceptions) by knyte(m): 10:45am On Sep 07, 2015
kenedy175:

Good one on getting d health certificate of d bitch.. D number of days depends on wen both dogs achieve a "lock" but like I pointed out bfore u can get am experienced handler to get ds one done with u so next time u may not need d help of one.
Re: Questions And Answers( All Pets, No Exceptions) by knyte(m): 8:09am On Sep 12, 2015
What hormonal changes did u experience with ur bitch after mating her/after she whelped?
Re: Questions And Answers( All Pets, No Exceptions) by okabe(m): 8:47am On Sep 12, 2015
Hello people, abeg my dog welped like a week ago (5 pups) and I need someone to tell me the kind of feeds to place her on (plus the supplements). I really need the pups to grow to the maximum size and strength they can possibly attain
Re: Questions And Answers( All Pets, No Exceptions) by redfigure(m): 1:07pm On Sep 12, 2015
koppa:

knyte:

No sir deres no difference Btw a German Shepherd and an Alsatian, they're the same.
And yes it's possible to cross a gsd with a local dog but the question is why? It. Wld ruin d genetic makeup and wat a breeder shld stand for. Breed for excellence
koppa:

Yes and No, They differ in size. An Alsatian is bigger than a GSD... They are from different bloodlines... For example a box Head rottie and the large head rottie
Re: Questions And Answers( All Pets, No Exceptions) by knyte(m): 4:48pm On Sep 12, 2015
redfigure:
Yes and No, They differ in size. An Alsatian is bigger than a GSD... They are from different bloodlines... For example a box Head rottie and the large head rottie
I still think a gsd and an Alsatian are the same. The change in name arose after the war and people didn't want anything to do with the Germans.. Size ND all arose when different bloodline were mixed with eachoda, that doesn't make dem less Dan a German Shepherd
Re: Questions And Answers( All Pets, No Exceptions) by redfigure(m): 7:26am On Sep 13, 2015
knyte:

I still think a gsd and an Alsatian are the same. The change in name arose after the war and people didn't want anything to do with the Germans.. Size ND all arose when different bloodline were mixed with eachoda, that doesn't make dem less Dan a German Shepherd
I think you should ask Wikipedia
Re: Questions And Answers( All Pets, No Exceptions) by knyte(m): 9:33am On Sep 13, 2015
redfigure:
I think you should ask Wikipedia
I didn't ask Wikipedia but definitely found out culled up frm the Internet.. They re the sale
Re: Questions And Answers( All Pets, No Exceptions) by knyte(m): 7:52am On Sep 16, 2015
An educational forum is bin run on whatsapp educating the public about knowing more about dogs.. Interested individuals can check my signature for my contact..

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Malinois Puppies Available For Experience Hands. / A Diary Of My Last Visit To Dogbreath Kennel On The 8-10/ APRIL/ 2016 / My Friends Dog Was Humping On Me

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.