Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,611 members, 7,813,002 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 03:21 AM

My Poultry Farm - Part 2 - Agriculture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / My Poultry Farm - Part 2 (43554 Views)

The Snake I Killed In My Poultry Today (photos) / Help- My Poultry Birds Are Dying / The Tiny Egg I Saw In My Poultry Pen Today (Pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Poultry Farm - Part 2 by kevin96(m): 9:57am On Jul 17, 2015
FarmTech:
In this thread/topic, I'll take you along on my journey as I raise my DOC. This is my second batch. I welcome your advice and criticism. In case you don't know, I have written about my first experience under the thread My Poultry Farm. But a lot of posts were lost when Nairaland suffered from hackers.
Number and Type of Birds: 607 brown day old chicks from Crown Hatchery, Issele-Ukwu, Delta State.
Mortality so Far: Total of 22 chicks died. 5 died due to DOC screening test at the lab. 1 was found dead on arrival. 6 died from avoidable causes. Others died due to respiratory problem – they find it difficult to breath.

Cost/Chick: N180.
DOC Screening: It was done on day 2 and the cost was N7000. The test covers serological test and antibiotic sensitivity test (AST).  Through serological test you’ll get a vaccination plan suitable for your birds. The later (AST) was for Staphylococcus and Candida spp. It helps you to know the best antibiotics that will work against those bacteria. In my case, Gentamicin and Streptomycin were effective while Oxytetracycline, Furaltadone, Collistin etc were not effective. If you want to see the lab test result, view it here.
Lab Location: AnimalCare Asaba.

Was DOC Screening Useful? Yes! They found out that the chicks have low resistance against Newcastle and Gumboro diseases and I have to vaccinate them fast! They recommended giving gumboro on day 5, followed by Immucox on day 6 and lasota on day 7. But due to some reasons, I have to give the vaccines on days 6,7 and 8 respectively. Most of the chicks that died did so before and some days after these vaccinations, meaning that if I had followed the ‘normal vaccination plan’, there would have been more death.
Read: How to Administer Immucox.
Brooding: We used kerosene stoves and lamps, but next time I plan investing in gas brooders that cost about N13k. With gas brooders, brooding will be easier and even cheaper, free of clumsiness. For bedding, I used rice hull and covered it with nylon for the first few days (I did this to prevent the chicks from eating the bedding). When I uncovered it, I noticed some molds on the rice hull. I have to remove the affected spots because mold can be dangerous to chicks. I even suspect it could have contributed to the respiratory problem the birds suffered from. Next time I won’t be covering the bedding.
Feeding: We use top feed and feed them ad libitum (i.e. feed is always available).
Vitamins: When I checked how much spent on vitamins for our last batch, I have to buy 1 carton this time around. I bought 1 carton of Vitalyte for N14,720. A carton contains 32 satchets.
Merek’s Vaccination: You can see the vaccination plan in the DOC screening result. Marek’s vaccination was given on day 25. The vaccine cost N3500 and workmanship N3000.

Nice one farm tech ..pls can u trow more lite on d gas brooder. Were can someone get it? And how does it work?
Re: My Poultry Farm - Part 2 by eluyebamayowa: 11:04am On Jul 17, 2015
@farmtech...pls wat s dia age nw...if they av started layin wat s dia productn rate?
Re: My Poultry Farm - Part 2 by FarmTech(m): 12:20pm On Jul 17, 2015
kevin96:

Nice one farm tech ..pls can u trow more lite on d gas brooder. Were can someone get it? And how does it work?
Gas brooder is used to supply heat when they're young. As of now I don't know where to get it, but I'll ask an animalcare affiliate and vets where to get it.
Re: My Poultry Farm - Part 2 by FarmTech(m): 12:21pm On Jul 17, 2015
eluyebamayowa:
@farmtech...pls wat s dia age nw...if they av started layin wat s dia productn rate?
10 weeks and.
Re: My Poultry Farm - Part 2 by kevin96(m): 12:59pm On Jul 17, 2015
FarmTech:

Gas brooder is used to supply heat when they're young. As of now I don't know where to get it, but I'll ask an animalcare affiliate and vets where to get it.

Ok boss. Tanks. I will be waiting to hear from u
Re: My Poultry Farm - Part 2 by Whynotthetruth(m): 2:37pm On Jul 18, 2015
FarmTech:

10 weeks and.

Nwanne plz can we be getting your progress report too in form of pictures?... Pictorial evidence will help a lot plzzz in this learning process...thanks

1 Like

Re: My Poultry Farm - Part 2 by FarmTech(m): 10:05pm On Jul 18, 2015
Whynotthetruth:

Nwanne plz can we be getting your progress report too in form of pictures?... Pictorial evidence will help a lot plzzz in this learning process...thanks
When I connect my lapptop to internet.
Re: My Poultry Farm - Part 2 by Whynotthetruth(m): 10:14pm On Jul 18, 2015
FarmTech:
.. When I connect my lapptop to internet.
Its well then...

1 Like

Re: My Poultry Farm - Part 2 by Pavore9: 7:53pm On Jul 19, 2015
FarmTech:

Ok, waiting.

l have been travelling, when l get back l will be giving details alongside pictures.
Re: My Poultry Farm - Part 2 by FarmTech(m): 7:55pm On Jul 19, 2015
Pavore9:

l have been travelling, when l get back l will be giving details alongside pictures.
Ok bro.
Re: My Poultry Farm - Part 2 by peepat(f): 9:20pm On Jul 19, 2015
Thanks so much for all the infor here they are real, please do you have an idea about feed formular or any body that can help me.
Re: My Poultry Farm - Part 2 by manfred131(m): 10:16pm On Jul 19, 2015
I was privileged to visit oga Farmtech's farm yesterday...mehn this man is doing a very great job and still pushing ooo..
keep up the good work Sir.

3 Likes

Re: My Poultry Farm - Part 2 by manfred131(m): 10:20pm On Jul 19, 2015
manfred131:
I was privileged to visit oga Farmtech's farm yesterday...mehn this man is doing a very great job and still pushing ooo..

I'm trying to upload pixXx.
Re: My Poultry Farm - Part 2 by FarmTech(m): 12:25am On Jul 21, 2015
peepat:
Thanks so much for all the infor here they are real, please do you have an idea about feed formular or any body that can help me.
I don't mill my feed yet, but you can get some fmlae thru my signature below.
Re: My Poultry Farm - Part 2 by FarmTech(m): 12:26am On Jul 21, 2015
manfred131:
Wlcm bro, keep me updated when you start.
Re: My Poultry Farm - Part 2 by KingKuntaVart: 3:47pm On Jul 21, 2015
A tread was open on june 28 today is july 21 it makes front page....

2 Shares

Re: My Poultry Farm - Part 2 by Papaboy: 3:49pm On Jul 21, 2015
First time here,hope I win my game ticket with this comment
Re: My Poultry Farm - Part 2 by Nobody: 3:50pm On Jul 21, 2015
I can see next Dangote. well done work
Re: My Poultry Farm - Part 2 by Nobody: 3:51pm On Jul 21, 2015
Just pray Boko Boys don't get there
Re: My Poultry Farm - Part 2 by Nobody: 3:55pm On Jul 21, 2015
Thats another man creating a job for himself and others...

Meanwhile for those people who have no jobs, are tired of switching jobs or have no skill at all and want to develop skills that can fetch them money online as well as offline, here is a thread where i have taught for free how you can join fiverr.com and start making money right from your home. There are very easy ways of making it through the internet, you just have to find the safest and surest way, and this one beckons The Free Fiverr Training Guide on Nairaland With Screenshots
Re: My Poultry Farm - Part 2 by MrDoGood(m): 3:55pm On Jul 21, 2015
Nice one dude.
I would to invest in fish farming, but i want to get more knowledge about it.
I'm currently into various types of business but i just want to explore more.
Poultry farming requires alot of time and workers. But i can easily manage the fish pond with at least 3 or 4 workers.
Re: My Poultry Farm - Part 2 by Ladypisces: 3:56pm On Jul 21, 2015
Interesting
Re: My Poultry Farm - Part 2 by Nobody: 3:57pm On Jul 21, 2015
A

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Poultry Farm - Part 2 by CeceNene(f): 3:58pm On Jul 21, 2015
FarmTech:
In this thread/topic, I'll take you along on my journey as I raise my DOC. This is my second batch. I welcome your advice and criticism. In case you don't know, I have written about my first experience under the thread My Poultry Farm. But a lot of posts were lost when Nairaland suffered from hackers.

Number and Type of Birds: 607 brown day old chicks from Crown Hatchery, Issele-Ukwu, Delta State.

Mortality so Far: Total of 22 chicks died. 5 died due to DOC screening test at the lab. 1 was found dead on arrival. 6 died from avoidable causes. Others died due to respiratory problem – they find it difficult to breath.

Cost/Chick: N180.
DOC Screening: It was done on day 2 and the cost was N7000. The test covers serological test and antibiotic sensitivity test (AST).  Through serological test you’ll get a vaccination plan suitable for your birds. The later (AST) was for Staphylococcus and Candida spp. It helps you to know the best antibiotics that will work against those bacteria. In my case, Gentamicin and Streptomycin were effective while Oxytetracycline, Furaltadone, Collistin etc were not effective.

Was DOC Screening Useful? Yes! They found out that the chicks have low resistance against Newcastle and Gumboro diseases and I have to vaccinate them fast! They recommended giving gumboro on day 5, followed by Immucox on day 6 and lasota on day 7. But due to some reasons, I have to give the vaccines on days 6,7 and 8 respectively. Most of the chicks that died did so before and some days after these vaccinations, meaning that if I had followed the ‘normal vaccination plan’, there would have been more death.

Brooding: We used kerosene stoves and lamps, but next time I plan investing in gas brooders that cost about N13k. With gas brooders, brooding will be easier and even cheaper, free of clumsiness. For bedding, I used rice hull and covered it with nylon for the first few days (I did this to prevent the chicks from eating the bedding). When I uncovered it, I noticed some molds on the rice hull. I have to remove the affected spots because mold can be dangerous to chicks. I even suspect it could have contributed to the respiratory problem the birds suffered from. Next time I won’t be covering the bedding.

Feeding: We use top feed and feed them ad libitum (i.e. feed is always available).

Vitamins: When I checked how much spent on vitamins for our last batch, I have to buy 1 carton this time around. I bought 1 carton of Vitalyte for N14,720. A carton contains 32 satchets.

Merek’s Vaccination: You can see the vaccination plan in the DOC screening result. Marek’s vaccination was given on day 25. The vaccine cost N3500 and workmanship N3000.

Well done OP.
Re: My Poultry Farm - Part 2 by Nobody: 3:58pm On Jul 21, 2015
angry angry angry

2 Likes

Re: My Poultry Farm - Part 2 by chuchutech(m): 4:02pm On Jul 21, 2015
Wow, this is a nice job, within yourself you can feel the satisfaction watching these chicks grow not just so much to make money but building a strong agrotech empire, more grease buddy

1 Like

Re: My Poultry Farm - Part 2 by donfelix4sure(m): 4:03pm On Jul 21, 2015
Hello fellow farmer.I must commend ur efforts.I just wish to get in contact with u.Pls email me on felixnwose@yahoo.com
Re: My Poultry Farm - Part 2 by Gadgetmobil(m): 4:04pm On Jul 21, 2015
Great Job
Re: My Poultry Farm - Part 2 by wakes: 4:06pm On Jul 21, 2015
I wish more youth would emulate you.
Well done beloved!
Re: My Poultry Farm - Part 2 by NaLaugh: 4:07pm On Jul 21, 2015
Mprepz:
Just pray Boko Boys don't get there

undecided

1 Like 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

My Noiler Birds Poultry Experiment (AMO Noilers) / Gaboon Viper In My Farm (Photo) / Is Turkey Profitable To Give Me N70k Or More Weekly Find Out Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.