Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,604 members, 7,812,982 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 01:12 AM

My Poultry Farm - Part 2 - Agriculture (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / My Poultry Farm - Part 2 (43551 Views)

The Snake I Killed In My Poultry Today (photos) / Help- My Poultry Birds Are Dying / The Tiny Egg I Saw In My Poultry Pen Today (Pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Poultry Farm - Part 2 by MadCow1: 5:16pm On Sep 08, 2016
FarmTech:
In this thread/topic, I'll take you along on my journey as I raise my DOC. This is my second batch. I welcome your advice and criticism. In case you don't know, I have written about my first experience under the thread My Poultry Farm. But a lot of posts were lost when Nairaland suffered from hackers.

Number and Type of Birds: 607 brown day old chicks from Crown Hatchery, Issele-Ukwu, Delta State.

Mortality so Far: Total of 22 chicks died. 5 died due to DOC screening test at the lab. 1 was found dead on arrival. 6 died from avoidable causes. Others died due to respiratory problem – they find it difficult to breath.

Cost/Chick: N180.
DOC Screening: It was done on day 2 and the cost was N7000. The test covers serological test and antibiotic sensitivity test (AST).  Through serological test you’ll get a vaccination plan suitable for your birds. The later (AST) was for Staphylococcus and Candida spp. It helps you to know the best antibiotics that will work against those bacteria. In my case, Gentamicin and Streptomycin were effective while Oxytetracycline, Furaltadone, Collistin etc were not effective.

Was DOC Screening Useful? Yes! They found out that the chicks have low resistance against Newcastle and Gumboro diseases and I have to vaccinate them fast! They recommended giving gumboro on day 5, followed by Immucox on day 6 and lasota on day 7. But due to some reasons, I have to give the vaccines on days 6,7 and 8 respectively. Most of the chicks that died did so before and some days after these vaccinations, meaning that if I had followed the ‘normal vaccination plan’, there would have been more death.

Brooding: We used kerosene stoves and lamps, but next time I plan investing in gas brooders that cost about N13k. With gas brooders, brooding will be easier and even cheaper, free of clumsiness. For bedding, I used rice hull and covered it with nylon for the first few days (I did this to prevent the chicks from eating the bedding). When I uncovered it, I noticed some molds on the rice hull. I have to remove the affected spots because mold can be dangerous to chicks. I even suspect it could have contributed to the respiratory problem the birds suffered from. Next time I won’t be covering the bedding.

Feeding: We use top feed and feed them ad libitum (i.e. feed is always available).

Vitamins: When I checked how much spent on vitamins for our last batch, I have to buy 1 carton this time around. I bought 1 carton of Vitalyte for N14,720. A carton contains 32 satchets.

Merek’s Vaccination: You can see the vaccination plan in the DOC screening result. Marek’s vaccination was given on day 25. The vaccine cost N3500 and workmanship N3000.

Hi..

I will be going into mixed farming fulltime next year. The first property would be acquired by Sunday.

I will be picking your brains alot as I set up for this adventure. I hope you would be of as much assistance as you can.

Thanks.

MadCow1
Re: My Poultry Farm - Part 2 by Amachebry: 8:15am On Sep 13, 2016
Plssss help my chick's are dieing in one week I lost 20 birds they are producing brown watery pops

1 Like

Re: My Poultry Farm - Part 2 by jfkenny(m): 2:20pm On Sep 13, 2016
Amachebry:
Plssss help my chick's are dieing in one week I lost 20 birds they are producing brown watery pops
Someone suggested emberzyne Forte for the watery poops.. Experiencing same, I hope it helps.
Re: My Poultry Farm - Part 2 by olaajilaran(m): 8:03pm On Sep 13, 2016
WhatsApp 09038540277
Re: My Poultry Farm - Part 2 by Preprobiotics: 10:24pm On Jun 25, 2017
Molasses and Lactobacillus Serum for Livestock, Poultry and Home Use
Undiluted Organic Molasses for Strong Nutritional Value with many Health Benefits. Lactobachillus a Superb Growth Booster for Livestock, Poultry and Fish Farming, Also an effective Foul ODOUR Removal for Farms, Households, Dust Bins,Sewage, etc.
Call: 08121790440
Price from =N=1,500

Re: My Poultry Farm - Part 2 by Mikkyfirst: 8:40pm On Feb 12, 2019
Good pm man.

I've been following your posts.
Please, I think I'm in desperate need of help. I lost over 15 chickens today from my flock. I raised them from day old and now they are 24 days old. They were doing very fine until 4days ago I discovered some where sneezing and having watery stool with blood stains.

Although they completed their vasination and I'm constant with all their drugs.

When I noticed that they werwere having respiratory problem, I also suspected cough too so I used semptrine and flagyl for them. Maybe that's the costly mistake I made.

Although I delayed changing their bedding as the my supplier don't deliver the saw-dust early and now I'm regretting. Although they were just withdrawn from food until thisorning I used tylodox and another drug recommended by my vent but just shortly after they took the medication not up to 3 hours I watch them die one after the other.

Its really so painful but I sincerely feel I did something wrong.

Please, what could it be? Maybe the flagyl and semptrin? Maybe the ammonia buildup, or maybe the tylodox and other drug I administered?

I couldnt reach my vent earlier and just dismorning instead of the bloody watery stool their stool was entirely greenish in color so i opt in for the tylodox but they started dying one by ome after the administratiin even those that looked healrhy.

Its so painful please help. Im going to bed now scared how many I'll wake up to meet dead.

What can I do again? I lost over 19 already from 10o birds.
Re: My Poultry Farm - Part 2 by Nedlog01(m): 11:19am On Jul 10, 2020
There is now a platform created to support and grow agricultural and food related brands. It is called The Chicken Farm. It is a site that connects buyers and sellers of chicken products. Products including: Poultry, Fast Food, Equipment, Manure, Feed etc can all be sold and bought on the site as long as they relate to chicken. Register with: www.thechickenfarm.com.ng/register/TCU20GOL4. It's all free.
It's for those in Nigeria.
Re: My Poultry Farm - Part 2 by FarmTech(m): 2:48pm On Jul 12, 2020
Mikkyfirst:
Good pm man.

I've been following your posts.
Please, I think I'm in desperate need of help. I lost over 15 chickens today from my flock. I raised them from day old and now they are 24 days old. They were doing very fine until 4days ago I discovered some where sneezing and having watery stool with blood stains.

Although they completed their vasination and I'm constant with all their drugs.

When I noticed that they werwere having respiratory problem, I also suspected cough too so I used semptrine and flagyl for them. Maybe that's the costly mistake I made.

Although I delayed changing their bedding as the my supplier don't deliver the saw-dust early and now I'm regretting. Although they were just withdrawn from food until thisorning I used tylodox and another drug recommended by my vent but just shortly after they took the medication not up to 3 hours I watch them die one after the other.

Its really so painful but I sincerely feel I did something wrong.

Please, what could it be? Maybe the flagyl and semptrin? Maybe the ammonia buildup, or maybe the tylodox and other drug I administered?

I couldnt reach my vent earlier and just dismorning instead of the bloody watery stool their stool was entirely greenish in color so i opt in for the tylodox but they started dying one by ome after the administratiin even those that looked healrhy.

Its so painful please help. Im going to bed now scared how many I'll wake up to meet dead.

What can I do again? I lost over 19 already from 10o birds.
Very sorry that I miss your post. The sneezing might be due to CRD and the bloody feaces coccidiosis. Every farmer should try hard to keep the litter dry. It will save you lots of headache. Installing fans will solve the problem.
You shud have given an anticoccidial drug on day 9-13. Repeat every 2-3 weeks. CRD can be treated with tylodox.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

My Noiler Birds Poultry Experiment (AMO Noilers) / Gaboon Viper In My Farm (Photo) / Is Turkey Profitable To Give Me N70k Or More Weekly Find Out Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.