Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,000 members, 7,817,964 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:10 AM

Official Thread of Free-to- Air Satellite TV [part 3] - Satellite TV Technology (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Satellite TV Technology / Official Thread of Free-to- Air Satellite TV [part 3] (260968 Views)

Official Thread Of Free To Air Satellite Tv (part 5 - The Final Part) / Official Thread Of Free To Air Satellite Tv (part 4) / Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (175) (Go Down)

Re: Official Thread of Free-to- Air Satellite TV [part 3] by alcovex1(m): 5:40pm On Mar 06, 2009
@ satman,
i ve followed ur request for someone to track daarsat from d hitv thread. I tried tracking those freq on intel 907 @ 27 deg west without success. I was in My tv office in abuja(mpape) to sort out a receiver problem and witnessed a live display of thracking of daarsat. The revealing aspect of the display is that to track daarsat, u need an HD Decorder plus HD lnbf to receive all thier 52 channells broadcast that are all in high definition/free to air at that moment early in feb, 2009. I asked why strong hd receivers/lnbf,s have not flooded the market and was told they are carefull not to incurr the wraght of daarsat since all their technical parameter are not yet made public.
I noticed in d satshops at wuse zone 3 in abuja that FIJI has a HD KU LNBF in d market now.
Re: Official Thread of Free-to- Air Satellite TV [part 3] by alcovex1(m): 5:52pm On Mar 06, 2009
@ olofofo,
i tried to access d group but was denied access.
@ all,
thanks to u all for making this thread a success. I believe we can take it to greater hieghts this season and the subsequent seasons to come by the Grace of God.
@ jesu de,
hope u are doing fine?
Re: Official Thread of Free-to- Air Satellite TV [part 3] by satcoper(m): 6:10pm On Mar 06, 2009
@all
I'm a new member. FTA big amateur. I live in Mali. French speaker. I've been reading the thread since season 1. Learnt much from it. Was Just readin , didn't see the necessity to become member till now that i need satfinder full version. I need it, how can i qualify for it . Enitan it's your birthday( happy birthday!) may be you can do something for me, "s'il te plait". My e-mail demamass@yahoo.fr
Re: Official Thread of Free-to- Air Satellite TV [part 3] by Nobody: 6:38pm On Mar 06, 2009
@ satcoper, ce ne pas problem, no problem. merci pour le compliment. au revoir, mon ami.
Re: Official Thread of Free-to- Air Satellite TV [part 3] by FMarshal2(m): 6:57pm On Mar 06, 2009
alcove x:

@ satman,
i ve followed ur request for someone to track daarsat from d hitv thread. I tried tracking those freq on intel 907 @ 27 deg west without success. I was in My tv office in abuja(mpape) to sort out a receiver problem and witnessed a live display of thracking of daarsat. The revealing aspect of the display is that to track daarsat, u need an HD Decorder plus HD lnbf to receive all thier 52 channells broadcast that are all in high definition/free to air at that moment early in feb, 2009. I asked why strong hd receivers/lnbf,s have not flooded the market and was told they are carefull not to incurr the wraght of daarsat since all their technical parameter are not yet made public.
I noticed in d satshops at wuse zone 3 in abuja that FIJI has a HD KU LNBF in d market now.

Acovex, your regular LNB already picks-up the HD Signals. The only problem is that you need an HD capable receiver to decode the signal. Let nobody fool you into buying a new LNB. It is a sell gimmick. Don't fall for it! My advice for anyone buying new STBs (decoder) if you can afford it, you should buy HD MPEG 4 capable receivers. They can handle from Standard SD, MPEG 2 HD to MPEG 4 HD Signals. Remember, Nigeria will be switching over from Analog to Digital TV transmissions in 2015. But before you buy make sure you research well to make sure the unit you buy will meet all your needs. wink
Re: Official Thread of Free-to- Air Satellite TV [part 3] by Enigma(m): 7:05pm On Mar 06, 2009
F_Marshal:

Pitodenz, using DishPointer.com click on "Motorized Systems" and choose Moteck SG2100 H-H motor as an example, and type your location, Port Harcourt.  It will give you the following: Your Latitude: is 4.7915° and Longitude: is 6.9991°. Your Motor Latitude: is 4.8° (this is your latitude rounded) and Your Dish Elevation:  29° (This is the elevation that you will set on your dish. (Note this is different from the motor elevation which your current latitude of 4.8°) The LNB skew should be zero, this is because the motor controls the skewing as the dish moves acoss the arc. I have attached a link to Tutorials on how to insall various H-H motors. Don't forget to factor in your Azimuth. Remember, your true south is your longitude (6.9991°), and your True south Satellite in this case is Eutelsat @ 7.0°E. On dishpointer.com pay particular attention to "Dish Setup Data" section, all the figures that you need are located there. I hope this helps. smiley

How to install H-H Motors and Your True South Calculations using DISHPOINTER.com

To add to the above post

1. You can also find latitude and longitude for your location at this link: http://www.satsig.net/maps/lat-long-finder.htm

2. Note Latitude/longitude are usually given in two formats (a) degrees and minutes and (b) decimal format; for diseqc motor settings, use the decimal format; in other words enter latitude and longitude in the receiver in decimal format and when setting latitude on the motor also use the decimal format. For example satsig gives the following figures for (near) Port harcourt (I was not very accurate with the map): (edited)

Latitude = 4.4779, Longitude = 6.5918
Lat    = 4 degrees,   28.7 minutes   North
Long = 6 degrees,   35.5 minutes   East

The figures to use are those in the first line: rounding them up, you will enter lat 4.5 and long 6.6 in the receiver and you will set the motor latitude scale to 4.5.

3. Note When setting up a diseqc motor, the pole must be totally straight/vertical; you can use a spirit level or other tool to check that it is perfectly straight.

4. Because the longitude of Port Harcourt is 6.6, the two nearest satellites to due south in Nigeria are either Sirius 5e or W3 7e; one of these should be the satellite to track first.

5. Before tracking it, first enter lat/long in the receiver; second, set the receiver motor setting to USALS; third tell the receiver to go to either 5e or 7e (depending on which you think has higher signal); fourth, then go outside and try to track the satellite.

Further Notes

6. Once you have set the latitude scale on the motor correctly, do not touch it again.

7. When trying to find the satellite, you have to rotate both the dish and the motor to find the azimuth; for the dish elevation (somewhat confusingly called declination, actually), you make adjustments only on the dish.

Hope this helps.
Re: Official Thread of Free-to- Air Satellite TV [part 3] by Enigma(m): 7:17pm On Mar 06, 2009
Instead of further editing the above post, I have gone back to source the coordinates for Port Harcourt as below:

Latitude = 4.7915, Longitude = 6.9991
Lat = 4 degrees, 47.5 minutes North
Long = 6 degrees, 59.9 minutes East

Thus lat/long should be entered in the receiver as Lat 4.8 and Long 7.0[b]E[/b] while the motor latitude scale should be set to 4.8.

In fact W3A 7e is actually due south of Port Harcourt effectively and ideally should be the satellite to align to initially; but, as I said before, if 5e is easier to track that can be used too.
Re: Official Thread of Free-to- Air Satellite TV [part 3] by pitodenz(m): 7:53pm On Mar 06, 2009
@ George D / Enigma
thanks for ur contributions, i ll get to work by sunday. Enigma i believe that should be my own piece of cake, thanks and happy birthday.
Re: Official Thread of Free-to- Air Satellite TV [part 3] by FMarshal2(m): 8:35pm On Mar 06, 2009
pitodenz:

@ George D / Enigma
thanks for ur contributions
, i ll get to work by sunday. Enigma i believe that should be my own piece of cake, thanks and happy birthday.
Ahiem!!! *cough* *cough* smiley
Re: Official Thread of Free-to- Air Satellite TV [part 3] by pitodenz(m): 8:40pm On Mar 06, 2009
@ all
       i think theres an update for jsc sport for echolink.  All the available update re still without showtime, lets hope something happens before epl tommorrow.
Re: Official Thread of Free-to- Air Satellite TV [part 3] by olofofo(m): 9:19pm On Mar 06, 2009
alcove x:

@ olofofo,
i tried to access d group but was denied access.

please send me an email to olofofo@gmail.com, preferably a gmail account.
Re: Official Thread of Free-to- Air Satellite TV [part 3] by Enigma(m): 9:19pm On Mar 06, 2009
grin grin

Pitodenz

Look at the post above your last; check name of poster and compare with one of the names in red in your post quoted.

grin
Re: Official Thread of Free-to- Air Satellite TV [part 3] by salamander(m): 11:24pm On Mar 06, 2009
@the birthday boys

Hope I'm not too late for the cake. Next time you should be in Ghana to celebrate with us. Today is our Independence Day.
Re: Official Thread of Free-to- Air Satellite TV [part 3] by olofofo(m): 12:00am On Mar 07, 2009
@all

Please check the group for tested versions of the latest echolink patches for ali3329c. includes patches for SHT, JSc and the official loader for both.
Re: Official Thread of Free-to- Air Satellite TV [part 3] by maddoxoj(m): 1:02am On Mar 07, 2009
@All
Welcome to Season 3!!! May your FTA setups kill multiple birds this season, AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!

@George D
What F Marshal means is that those satellites may require impossible-size dishes for you to track them, especially since they are on a lower arc of our horizon. Goodluck though. I would love to drink to your success.
Re: Official Thread of Free-to- Air Satellite TV [part 3] by maddoxoj(m): 1:40am On Mar 07, 2009
@satman
Are you sure you're really female? If so let's drink to the first active female member of the FTA forum!!

@All
Daarsat is definitely on intelsat 907 KU. I've seen their setup. I first saw their gear (not yet installed) at NBC (Nigeria Broadcasting Commision) and again as installed in a private residence. Their dishes are 90cm and positioned exactly as was done for TrendTV before they switched to Eutelsat W4. Like someone earlier noted, their signals are HD (High Definition), so you will need an HD STB to detect the signals. Don Pedro Obaseki, the channel manager for Daar Movistar told me their smartcard won't work on any other decoder but theirs. I don't know how true that may be but it appears they might be FTA for a while, (if you have a HD receiver try and see if you can enjoy it now), because patronage is not very high and Daarsat are tryng to do all in their power to find a sales/marketing magic to turn things around. Personally, I would've expected them to go on SD (Standard Definition) and later, gradually cut over fully to HD. In short, they no do their home-work well.
Re: Official Thread of Free-to- Air Satellite TV [part 3] by maddoxoj(m): 1:45am On Mar 07, 2009
@Ecowas4all
That frequency is one of the frequencies of the C Band Daar Comm./AIT feeds on Intelsat 901. Daarsat is really on Intelsat 907 Ku. I'm not sure of the correct frequencies, but I think someone else has posted them a page or two back.
Re: Official Thread of Free-to- Air Satellite TV [part 3] by pitodenz(m): 5:47am On Mar 07, 2009
olofofo:

@all

Please check the group for tested versions of the latest echolink patches for ali3329c. includes patches for SHT, JSc and the official loader for both.
starsat users can also visit tha site i posted in g-group for showtime update.
@ eko
hope u found ur echolink update
Re: Official Thread of Free-to- Air Satellite TV [part 3] by Enigma(m): 10:49am On Mar 07, 2009
maddoxoj:

@satman
Are you sure you're really female? If so let's drink to the first active female member of the FTA forum!!

Actually, I've been meaning to to express this as well! Very nice to have you around, satman; and your contributions seem informed to boot! Welcome.  cool

maddoxoj:

@All
Daarsat is definitely on intelsat 907 KU. I've seen their setup. I first saw their gear (not yet installed) at NBC (Nigeria Broadcasting Commision) and again as installed in a private residence. Their dishes are 90cm and positioned exactly as was done for TrendTV before they switched to Eutelsat W4. Like someone earlier noted, their signals are HD (High Definition), so you will need an HD STB to detect the signals. Don Pedro Obaseki, the channel manager for Daar Movistar told me their smartcard won't work on any other decoder but theirs. I don't know how true that may be but it appears they might be FTA for a while, (if you have a HD receiver try and see if you can enjoy it now), because patronage is not very high and Daarsat are tryng to do all in their power to find a sales/marketing magic to turn things around. Personally, I would've expected them to go on SD (Standard Definition) and later, gradually cut over fully to HD. In short, they no do their home-work well.

I am flabbergasted by this too!!! Generally providers, even here in Europe, do not come out with an exclusively HD package; usually, they will have one or two HD channels in a package that may be up to 20 channels or more. In even Europe, most people do not as yet have an HD TV or HD receiver for that matter, let alone Nigeria. I think those who advised Daarsat's decision  (and those who approved it) to go exclusively HD, in Nigeria in 2009, have a lot to answer for. This is a recipe for Daarsat to go the way of GTV; the only difference, perhaps, is that Daarsat has probabbly not spent so much on programme content yet unlike GTV who shelled out for football. If Daarsat continues along current lines they will for long remain an irrelevance for most Nigerians.
Re: Official Thread of Free-to- Air Satellite TV [part 3] by Gangsta101(m): 11:59am On Mar 07, 2009
Enigma:

. If Daarsat continues along current lines they will for long remain an irrelevance for most Nigerians.[color=#006600][/color]

That my friend is the Gospel truth.
Happy B'day to you and Enitan by the way, here's wishing you guys a truly eventful year ahead. cheers.

And about Satman being the only Active female poster, there used to be someone else, i can't remember her user name right now, but i think Toxnaija can clear that up, all i remember right now is she stays at ABJ and once asked Adewest if he could help with a Nilesat installation.
Re: Official Thread of Free-to- Air Satellite TV [part 3] by babaegun(m): 1:02pm On Mar 07, 2009
@all

The first female FTA member remains graciousme . Satman ( satwoman? ) is the second.  Welcome Satman to the club!!!  And to my sister, ooooo graciousme!!!,  how far?  We want more "software" in the forums.

At last, showtime is up again.  I missed it soooo much.

on Daaaarsat

We have already predicted it here that the project was designed to fail.  And that their main target is the rich.  They are actually day dreaming rolling out HD to dump on us. They want me to buy decoder at 40k abi na 60K and expect me to pay 5k every month for rubbish and at the same time, force me to buy LCD or PLASMA and throw away my old CRT tvs.  Jokers. Dont worry, very soon dem go begin dash out their dish make people begin take am fry garri for this global recession time.

Thank God for FTA, man for no get option self.
Re: Official Thread of Free-to- Air Satellite TV [part 3] by twinstaiye(m): 1:18pm On Mar 07, 2009
Dont want to make issue out of it anyway, but i have my doubt over satman being a woman.  I stand to be corrected though, but I think I can read between the lines. I hasten to add too that, I wont be drag into argument over this.
Re: Official Thread of Free-to- Air Satellite TV [part 3] by salamander(m): 1:58pm On Mar 07, 2009
@twinstaiye

Maybe the best way to clear your mind about Satman being a woman is to have hear call you. That you can hear her voice an talk FTA
Re: Official Thread of Free-to- Air Satellite TV [part 3] by idyday(m): 2:06pm On Mar 07, 2009
@all, they are currently 50 channels on intelsat7/10ku,about 15 of which are encrypted.it seems those of us using 90cm dish cant really explore the seemingly unlimited fta channels. @pitodenz,pls how do i gain access to the 'g-group'.my emails:idyusen@gmail.com.idolas904sure.com.
Re: Official Thread of Free-to- Air Satellite TV [part 3] by idyday(m): 3:40pm On Mar 07, 2009
@pitodenz,pls i really want you to help me out on the g-group.give me the link to the group and what's the criteria tn become a member?
Re: Official Thread of Free-to- Air Satellite TV [part 3] by debolay: 6:12pm On Mar 07, 2009
@ All

Strong users JSC +sport software upgrade is out for nilesat users. check it out on soirnet.com

@ Baba_egun

Emmanuel suffered o. It took him and his friends 3 days to sort out my installation. Na wa o. I will call u later.

Oga Moderator:i welcome all to season 3
Re: Official Thread of Free-to- Air Satellite TV [part 3] by jujukemist(m): 6:28pm On Mar 07, 2009
Bumcum cool Satman is not female.Peroid!until proen otherwise. I hereby decree the convulsive death of Daarsat.After Dokpesi collect mymoney thru shares, he ended up with this expensive experiment. I forgive him.
On a more serious note, withdue repect to all the gurus in the house,season 2 was 40% jargon and irrelvant jibes.Moderator pls could we find a way of putting this delicate forum in its proper perspective. Apologies to Enitan before I fire-you conytributed 20% of the irrelivance to this forum-the truth is bitter. I see a future of this forum way aheard of the way we are treating it lipsrsealed
Enitan/Enigma;May you live forever! grin Happy birthday.
The brother from Mali,it is how long you stay after your registration that matters, you hear cool Abi you be Igbo man
Alcox, good to hear from you.Expecting to meet you.
Adewest you have a bad habit of ignoring me Well make sure you are not taken to somalia-plsooooo.At least we can manage Darfur for you,though Al-bashir has gone haywire since ICC begin thet look foram. No go sudan go thet install dish-they no like nigerians for there cool
Gangsta I de miss you. Abeg come quickly
Re: Official Thread of Free-to- Air Satellite TV [part 3] by Nobody: 7:25pm On Mar 07, 2009
i know the truth is bitter, i personally have started withdrawing from the thread itself, one can noticed how long it took me to respond on season3, i guess i have to go to the offtopic section and my once beloveth religion section. am sure i will be wholeheartedly welcome with my irrelevant contributions. the way was shown to me, but i personally made myself to the level i am now with the help of some few ones who know themselves. thanks one, thanks all. i still remain an adherent of FTA hobbyst movement. Ola, my welder will be through by tomorrow, remaining d work of bricklayer, b4 getting d dish set. i guess i will join the league soonest in 2 weeks time. thanks for your brotherly love.
Re: Official Thread of Free-to- Air Satellite TV [part 3] by maddoxoj(m): 9:54pm On Mar 07, 2009
jujukemist:

season 2 was 40% jargon and irrelvant jibes.Moderator pls could we find a way of putting this delicate forum in its proper perspective. Apologies to Enitan before I fire-you conytributed 20% of the irrelivance to this forum-the truth is bitter.

The brother from Mali,it is how long you stay after your registration that matters, you hear cool Abi you be Igbo man

@Enitan
Please accept my apologies in behalf of Jujukemist. I think he meant his post as a light-hearted banter but it turned out a botched joke. If you withdraw from this thread I'll quit too, w'allahi.

@Jujukemist
Wetin do Igbos? Biko, I know you didn't mean to tick people off, but some jokes don't usually turn out well, especially when they have racial, ethnic, religious or personal undertones. If i should say, you're the one who should come under the moderator's hammer. One love, though. cool
Re: Official Thread of Free-to- Air Satellite TV [part 3] by olofofo(m): 10:07pm On Mar 07, 2009
@all

regarding the darsat thingy, has anyone tried scanning for the the channels on non hd compliant decoder. let's see how far they are willing to go to fail

I met an installer who was called to install a 2.4m dish at  multichoice headquarters to track nilesat. i could not stop laughing when he told, the guy actually rejected the of fear.

@juju

everyone with their idea of how thing should go, i remembered being criticized for starting the group,  today, it's usefull source of alternate information for a lot of people, what you might consider as junk might just be worth Gold to guys like us.

@enitan

carry on Ojare. i dey help you count down to your nilesat ownership over here.
Re: Official Thread of Free-to- Air Satellite TV [part 3] by maddoxoj(m): 10:32pm On Mar 07, 2009
olofofo:

carry on Ojare. i dey help you count down to your nilesat ownership over here.

@All,
Talking of Nilesat, since December I have had a 1.8m Pauxis metal dish I want to use with Fuji Lnb and Strong 4661x (Though i may also get an Echolink receiver) for Nilesat and 85cm dish I want to use for Sirius or Eutelsat W3 but I just can't seem to be able to get started (I must admit it's mostly due to laziness, not lack of know-how or time). It may also be because I've not tracked any of those birds before. Can anyone in Abuja help out? Please indicate interest if you can help. (Na beg I beg oooo).
Re: Official Thread of Free-to- Air Satellite TV [part 3] by mide2008(m): 11:17am On Mar 08, 2009
@olofofo, thanks for the ali3329c update posted in the G group it really came handy as srsupport.com as not released any. The file you posted is a rar file, for the benefit of those who doesn't have rar file extractor may be you should upload one, i would have love to do it but presently i dont have a good internet connectivity. What is multichoice up to, why do they want to instal nilesat at their office and i dont think they need a local installer to do that as they have their own team of engineers.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (175)

Strong Receivers Thread / Newbie In Satellite Installation: Introduce Yourself Here With Your Problems / Free to Air codes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.