Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,503 members, 7,819,826 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:38 AM

A Question For Tithe Payers - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / A Question For Tithe Payers (18314 Views)

If A Thieve Steals The Money I Had Packaged For Tithe, Do I Still Pay Tithe From / Uncomfortable Questions For Tithe Preachers / A Question For Tithe Payers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Question For Tithe Payers by Ovamboland(m): 3:28pm On Mar 06, 2009
oluite:

if u dont pay tithe and dont believe in paying tithe,dats ur prob but to cm and confuse n discourage pple payin tithe is very wrong.ar the tithe payers complainin?wat will ur lose by paying 1/10 EVRY month and u go to heaven and GOD says u didnt ned to bother than to go to heaven without payin tithe and GOD says why didnt u pay ur tithe?dats d questn u shld ask ursef

grin grin grin[

PurestBoy:

My friend leave us alone to pay our tithe and face your business. @least we are not complaining

smiley wink wink cheesy angry   
During slavry itself many black slaves were involved in capturing fellow escaped slaves and preching to them about the futility of attempting to escape
Many black slaves in USA found it hard to believe they were free at emancipation and even asked , where do we go now?

oluite:

if d pastrs decide to use tithes to live lavish lifestyle,leave them to GOD d faithful judge.just play u own part.and if the old testament is no more relevant then i guess the ten commandment shouldnt be relevant too.pple can steal and all sinc we ar ''FREE''.

Some peolpe say blacks don't read are you not, Oluite & Purestboy, good examples to butress this point? Why do we shrink when required to carry out rigourous mental excercise that involves reasoning?  What sound reasoning can be read into the above quotes? Did you guys take the pain to read through previous comments even if just on page 3 of this thread?
Re: A Question For Tithe Payers by richjohn1(m): 3:32pm On Mar 06, 2009
Even if you open the door for prisoners to escape I can bet with anything that you'd find out some people will not make an attempt of escape those adocating for tithe and supporting it dont have Hebrews 7 in their bibles.
Tithers how do you measure what to tithe hourly, daily, weekly or yearly go and read the old testament and see various types of tithes and for your information its not only money they tithe those days  which of these (types of tithes) should we observe. Tithers if tithing is not abolished as spoken in hebrews 7 then keep observing the sabbath, keep making sacrifices and keep doing the passover, when Jesus came to replace these with free will offering, (not grudgingly or of necessity; tithing is of necessity) His death on the TREE and the Holy Communinion respectively. Think again brainwashed folks. May God Bless SirJohn and Kunle they've sowed a seed in people heart and I believe it will bring forth result remember it's hard to fight against conscience.
Re: A Question For Tithe Payers by MrCrackles(m): 3:40pm On Mar 06, 2009
What the fuc.k is all this tithe madness sef?

Fuc.k tithes and the twats chopping them!
Re: A Question For Tithe Payers by FOREXMASTE(m): 4:35pm On Mar 06, 2009
I will want to say that people questioning the authencity of Tithe are ignorant of divinity.
It should be pointed out that Man are not created to be free,we are all created to be dependent on God who is the alpha and the omega.
I wonder what would have become of these world if men are free without restrictions.
The laws are there to guide us,to serve as a check and balance for our actions and inaction.

When we are conceived as an unborn baby,we are restricted to the stomach of our mothers,immediately we are born,there are restriction to where we can go as we can barely walk,then when we have learnt to walk we are also restricted by the natural laws which is meant to checkmate us.
tithing is part of those natural laws.

Has it not occur to you that greatest development like education which u and i are benefiting from are as a result of the large heart of some men.
The claim that the have-nots don't need to pay tithe doesn't old water,whatever you have is not meant to be enjoyed by u alone,giving 10% of it is also not too much of a task bearing it in mind that you have also benefited from some largesse at one point in your life.Do some of us even believe there exist a place called HEAVEN and that u will always be accountable someday of that which you have done on earth?May God help us all.
Re: A Question For Tithe Payers by REALTRUTH1: 5:00pm On Mar 06, 2009
kaycedwins quote:
Hi everyone, so Nairaland is now an avenue for condemning Bible and Jesus Christ. If you need answers please go and study your Bible very well. How many posts have we seen condemning Islam and Quaran. Is christianity where anything goes? Let's all be rational and reasonable in whatever we do or say. Thank you.
NL is not an avenue for condemning the Bible rather as christians, there is virtually nothing wrong with us x-raying the activities of the scripture and how it affects our daily lives.Bottomline is this there is no controversy about the fact that Jesus Lord! The idea with which materialism has crept into the church is one thing we need to always have a guide against.How can you keep quite when a pastor tells the congregation that the reason some people are poor is cos they pay tithe or sow seeds.Have you been to church where pastors would say God told them 3 people are the church and God wants them to donate #100,000 each, then 10people comes out,why don't the pastor turn back the 7 other people if actually God mentioned 3 people?Common, people re getting wiser by the day.Early christianity wasn't in this form,people were not promised prosperity(even if U got it through corrupt means) on earth and Heaven in eternity.God is not a magician, there is no short cut to prosperity, if you want to prosper, you simply need to change your believe and THINKING parterns.God and Nature rewards hardwork,deligency and intelligency.
If you study the Bible,some where in proverbs, christians were asked to go and study the life styles of "ANTS" to see how they survive in and out of season.Christianity is not a Religion rather its a RELATIONSHIP with God.Any Religion that tells you God is solely responsible for your actions and inactions is an IRRESPONSIBLE RELIGION.
Bottomline is here is that many Pastors in Nigeria have been able to caved out a RELIGION from CHRISTIANITY, and they in most cases twist the scriptures to suit there personal agrandisements.That is why even in pentecostal churches, they all have different modes of worshipping and doctrines.They simply can't agree and the Bible tells us our God is not the Author of confussion.
Re: A Question For Tithe Payers by REALTRUTH1: 5:02pm On Mar 06, 2009
@Ovamboland:God bless you very richly man.No controversy Jesus is Lord.
Re: A Question For Tithe Payers by KunleOshob(m): 5:08pm On Mar 06, 2009
No true christian that understands the true gospel and the reasons for the death of our lord Jesus christ would regard tithe as compulsary or christian requirement. The truth is that a lot of clowns assume they are christian becos of the false teachings they have received from these false preachers, yet they don't keep Jesus commandements which is sine qua non to being a christian( most of them don't even know these commandments). I have said enough on tithes i won't say more than recomend for any body that truely wants to understand everything the bible as to say about tithes should visit http://www.bible.com/  and do a keyword search on tithes, this would bring up everything the bible as to say about tithes. read with understand and an unbiased mind you can then make up your mind if you still want to be under bondage or you want to be free in christ. For you to know that Jewish laws don't apply to christians read romans 10:4, Galatians chapter 3 and also chapter 5.
God bless you as he reveals his will to you.
Re: A Question For Tithe Payers by Bawss1(m): 5:11pm On Mar 06, 2009
Good work SirJohn! Im loving all of this. . .
Re: A Question For Tithe Payers by cescjay(m): 5:15pm On Mar 06, 2009
Ur tithe may not be considered worthy to God if
1. You are a sinner, as the bible says "the prayer of a sinner is an like a fillty rage"
2. You are not giving with a willing heart.
3. You dont have faith.
Re: A Question For Tithe Payers by o9999: 6:38pm On Mar 06, 2009
I NEED HELPI am a bit confused about tithing and would like you lot to help me come to a good decision.
(Please let not Sir_john or Kunleoshob be the ones to respond to this one)

Please Can some one who is a true believer of tithes tell me from the Bible WHAT IS TITHE? (is it money or not?)
Please let nobody reply to this articular post without saying CLEARLY what tithe is because for you to believe in something, you have to know what it is you believe.

Again, i get the impression that MOST people are tithing BECAUSE they expect GOD to BLESS / PUNISH them.
If you knew for sure God will not punish you for not tithing, will you still tithe?

Finally, who will be more pleasing in God's sight
1:- some one who gives complete 10% tithe of everything without alms giving (or even grudgingly) or
2:- some one who gives alms (helps complete strangers) expecting nothing in return WITHOUT giving tithes AT ALL

PLEASE ANY BODY REPLYING SHOULD NOT QUOTE A PASTOR!!!!!!!!!!!!
but give your own CLEAR and BIBLICAL understanding,
Go through your bible well to be sure of what you will say so you dont lead me astray

@blacksta 1 corin 16:2 is NOT talking about tithes please read from verse 1.
BIG thanks to tkb417, gabe, and sleekdoc,
you were all clear and precise.
Re: A Question For Tithe Payers by Affalatus: 6:48pm On Mar 06, 2009
Tithing is not christian in any way.

It is a perfect product of Judaism for Judaism in relation to the Order of Levites. And if you want to talk about Abraham and Melichezediak sorry wrong spelling i guess tell me what was given to the high priest and what he did with it. And why did Melichezediak not make it compulsory? Did Jacob pay tithe?

Did the apostles pay tithe after Christ died and rose? Remember Ananias and Serphrias wrong spelling again i guess.

Charity begins at home. What of the sick, those in prison and homeless? Do you tithe rather than help them? Give money to churches that build citadels of science, buy jet planes, contest for Priesdency and claim to have Miracles on tap on demand than to the wounded beggar at the gate of your homes.

May the Lord God bless you all as you read my text. He came to set the captives free but so called "men of Gpd" mordern day Pharisees bind those whom Christ freed with false dogmas. Remember those whom believe in a law are subject to that law and breaking that law would consist sin unto them even if it be spitting on the street.

Hear this all Isreal the lord our God the lord is one.
Re: A Question For Tithe Payers by Ascents(m): 7:59pm On Mar 06, 2009
well guys its really obvious those posting the non-tithing thread are not tithe payers;
and l have a word you guys " stop robbing yourselves of the blessings that comes with
tithe bringing.

Well its ok for you not to pay tithe but please don;t stretch your blindness to others
and besides go find yourselves a job to eliviate you poor status and don't to your closet
and start crying because you get every body to believe your new found HYPE
Re: A Question For Tithe Payers by REALTRUTH1: 8:43pm On Mar 06, 2009
Ascents:

well guys its really obvious those posting the non-tithing thread are not tithe payers;
and l have a word you guys " stop robbing yourselves of the blessings that comes with
tithe bringing.

Well its ok for you not to pay tithe but please don;t stretch your blindness to others
and besides go find yourselves a job to eliviate you poor status and don't to your closet
and start crying because you get every body to believe your new found HYPE
Even if someone like you pays tithe,just read through your comments.You are cery insulting.Am a Christian,I believe in tithing and also believe what kunleosho is saying to a very large extent.You don't have to look at it from the angle that pastors are been criticised,what you should look out for is if all that is been said is true or not.Many of the problems we have in Nigeria today is simply as a function that the church has failed the societyIts very unspiritual and unchristianed to think that you can not question a pastor when they are doing something wrong.In the USA, pastors are subject to the church council and its memebers but in naija it is not so cos of the fact that we practice RELIGION and not CHRISTIANITY.
Re: A Question For Tithe Payers by Theblessed(f): 3:08am On Mar 07, 2009
Yes, tithing is good - it's good to give back to God what you received. Yes, in the Old Testament, we are expected to give 10% of our income but for many including myself, it is a high mountain to climb and not many people can afford it as it is difficult to do.  For example, assuming I earn $1200 a month and my rent or mortgage is $800.00 per month plus other bills e.g gas, electicity, water, bus fares or petrol for my car to go to work and food on the table - now tell me what's left for my tithe??  Or should I pay my 10% tithe first and then go tell my landlord or mortgage lenders that I use their rent/mortgage money for my church tithe, eh!! They will kick you a--e in this cold weather and you will learn your priorities well in advance. 

Look, because Jesus understood the hardship old testament tithing created for most people in biblical days including his poor parents (remember his father was a carpenter and mother a housewife), come the New Testament where we are instructed to give as we can -  "According to our means - Acts. 11:29; As God has prospered us - I Cor. 16:2; At the same time, it will be undeterred by our means whether large or small, because giving will be counted a privilege - II Cor. 8:3, 4; it will be regular, systematic and without fuss or osetentation - I Cor. 8:3 and Matt 6:2-4; It will often be costly Luk. 21:4; Frequently generous beyond measure II Cor. 8:2; And to the limit of our resources II Cor. 8:3;
In fact, it will set no limits I John. 3:16; It will be joyful, cheerful, ungrudging, an act of the will, without external pressure, and a matter of individual determination Luk. 21:4; II Cor. 8: 2-4, 8; 9: 5,7; It will look for nothing in return Luk. 14:12; It will take every possible form II Cor. 9:11; It will be seen as one of the reasons why we go to work and earn money and have possessions - we gain in order to give away Eph. 4:28" (Bible Guidelines - Finding out God's plan, spiritual direction and personal guidance from the Bible by: Derek Prime, published Christain Focus Publications Ltd, Tain, Ross-Shire, ISBN1 871676 26 6).

So as everyone can bear me witness, your rarely hear these unscrupulous so called Bishops and pastors cite these chapters and versies  from bile -  no they will only hammer and hammer Malachi , a tool for brainwashing the illitrates and ignorants.  Its all tactical, to make as much money as possible from the poor.   Evangelism is nothing these days but a money making machine for rogue Bishops and pastors - qualified and unqualified and that's the reason many are being investigated in the West. Imagine Pastor Matthew Ashimolow of Nigeria was being fined upto £200,000 (Google him and check his Wikipeadia if you like) by the Charity Commission of great Britian for such act (Financial Irregularities)and these supposed to be men of God who should know better. Imagine him having an £80,000 car in the name of God.  Jesus, whom the so called Pastors and Bishops should be emulating never had a proper shoe on his feet let alone a car, talk of an £80,000 car - what an abuse of power and abuse of peoples intelligence? It only takes common sense and a bit of intelligence to weave oneself off the claws of these shameless Pastors and Bishops however, despite these sad stories putting doubts in your mind, don't forget to give as generously as you can and, according to your capabilities.  Remember, it can be given in any form, not necessarily via tithing of 10% that's why Jesus Christ came to make the law less harsh for us, haleluya,  in Jesus name I pray, Amen,
Re: A Question For Tithe Payers by tommyex(m): 8:33am On Mar 07, 2009
Tithing is not a question for believers? If you believe in GOD u shouls have faith in his words, total faith.

Men, na when i come nairaland i see say some nigerians don dey behave like americans, havbe u guys seen d devil worshipper guy? its amazing how ppl lose track of their beliefs
Re: A Question For Tithe Payers by proudly9ja(m): 9:49am On Mar 07, 2009
The thing is I still do not understand the reason for this thread.

The thing about THE TRUTH is that, when it dawns on you, it makes you look foolish and blind. My thought is that if you have a belief or faith about something, you work hard at it on YOURSELF and not try to force people to join you? Just my thoughts. Like someone said here earlier, you said you foolishly (your words) used to pay tithe and now, you've 'seen the light'. I also want to believe that when you believed in paying tithe, you also tried to convince people to pay tithe. Now that you have 'seen the light', you are now trying to convince the people you once told to pay tithes that it isnt compulsory anymore? What if tomorow, you suddenly realise that you are wrong again, would you go back to them and try to reconvince them again?

The FACT is that no man has absolute knowledge. Absolute knowledge belongs to God. All we have as Pastors, Bishopsm Engineers, Accountants, Scientists,etc is all relative knowledge. All subject to time, space and based on our understanding of events.

The most important thing is to make sure what you're doing and how you live your life will take you to heaven. Its a personal race. When we get there, we will have answers to all the questions. Right now, if you want to pay tithe, pay, if not, don't. If really you are sincere in your heart, God will tell you which is right like He did to Paul, Cornelius and so many others.
Re: A Question For Tithe Payers by SirJohn(m): 10:02am On Mar 07, 2009
proudly9ja:

The thing is I still do not understand the reason for this thread.

The thing about THE TRUTH is that, when it dawns on you, it makes you look foolish and blind. My thought is that if you have a belief or faith about something, you work hard at it on YOURSELF and not try to force people to join you? Just my thoughts. Like someone said here earlier, you said you foolishly (your words) used to pay tithe and now, you've 'seen the light'. I also want to believe that when you believed in paying tithe, you also tried to convince people to pay tithe. Now that you have 'seen the light', you are now trying to convince the people you once told to pay tithes that it isnt compulsory anymore? What if tomorow, you suddenly realise that you are wrong again, would you go back to them and try to reconvince them again?

The FACT is that no man has absolute knowledge. Absolute knowledge belongs to God. All we have as Pastors, Bishopsm Engineers, Accountants, Scientists,etc is all relative knowledge. All subject to time, space and based on our understanding of events.

The most important thing is to make sure what you're doing and how you live your life will take you to heaven. Its a personal race. When we get there, we will have answers to all the questions. Right now, if you want to pay tithe, pay, if not, don't. If really you are sincere in your heart, God will tell you which is right like He did to Paul, Cornelius and so many others.

The information I had at the time I practiced and taught tithing was not completely word based, it was based partly on a distorted view of scriptures and man made ideology from pulpit pimps. For example, tithers would say that if you do not tithe your income for the month, you will end up not being able to account for how you spent your money that month or telling people that if they dont give their tithes to God, they will indirectly be giving it to the devil through hospital bills or any other misfortune.

How does this ideology conform to Gods word? This is just a few of the many distorted concepts associated with tithing.
Re: A Question For Tithe Payers by ilaugh1: 10:16am On Mar 07, 2009
only you go die for the war o.
Re: A Question For Tithe Payers by muscodee: 12:09pm On Mar 07, 2009
Think this discussion is healthy for our spiritual growth and faith in the Lord Jesus Christ.

Tithe was first mentioned in the old testament in the days of Abraham. He gave tithe of all to Melchizedek. His grandson Jacob vowed to God that he will give a tenth of his possession if God would cause him to return safely to his father's land. Incidentally, both gave tithe only [b]once [/b]in their lifetime. And it was their choice. The principle of tithing existed in other cultures during that age and time.

Clearly tithing has been practiced before the law and it was by choice.  If we try to buttress the issue of tithing from the law point of view, we become hypocrites because we [b]cannot [/b]practice all that is stated in the law and that's one major reason why Jesus came. After the law, tithe is still by choice.

I think, today, a lot of pastors and xtian leaders are getting it all wrong. Quoting curses/threats from the bible (out of context in most cases) on people because they did not 'pay' tithes is going too far! Jesus has redeemed us from the curse of the law. Some of the messages on tithes/giving we hear today are induced more by the economic climate of the country than by the Spirit of God! Your character and integrity speaks more than your tithe before God. Emphasis should be laid on the weightier matters like our Lord said.  The first fathers of church in the book of Acts required non-Jewish Christians to avoid [eating] what is contaminated by idol worship, abstain from sexual immorality, from [eating] strangled animals and from [drinking] blood.

The Rich man was probably a giver/tither in the local synagogue but he failed to love the dying Lazarus and ended up in hell. Don't think Lazarus had money /foodstuffs to tithe/give but he ended up in the bosom of Abraham! God rejected Cain and his offering cause his heart was full of wickedness.

Whether you give or don't give tithes, either way the most important thing is to give your life to Christ! The just shall live by his faith! Shallom!
Re: A Question For Tithe Payers by guysmat(m): 3:00pm On Mar 07, 2009
Read!!! undecided

Re: A Question For Tithe Payers by Image123(m): 3:27pm On Mar 07, 2009
Give and it shall be given unto you.
Matthew 23:23 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.
These are the words of Jesus my lord.The words of sirjohn and kunleoshob vanish into nothingness and adsurdity anytime I think of or hear or see the words of Jesus.

@ovamboland
i told you it is difficult for people to unlearn what they've been fed with for a long time. Image, can you step back and look at that verse 'these ought ye to have done' is it reffering to you a Christian? I wonder why you're not recommending the 'woe unto you' part of that statement. I will just say you have a problem with comprehension

Image even belives that worn line of tithes and devourers, am sure he'd soon tell us every accident happens to non-tithers only and the hospital ward is only filled with non-tithers. I guess Mrs faith Oyedepo failed to be faithful with tithes :-Xand therefore cost herself and family huge sum on hospital bills - by your own analogy. How absurd cn you guys get?
For God so loved the world was told to a pharisee by Jesus,it changes lives.I claim it.The Word of God works for me.i'm not ready to remove any passage.Matthew 23v23 is scripture.it is truth.it is light
Re: A Question For Tithe Payers by Image123(m): 3:37pm On Mar 07, 2009
@richjohn
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Even if you open the door for prisoners to escape I can bet with anything that you'd find out some people will not make an attempt of escape those adocating for tithe and supporting it dont have Hebrews 7 in their bibles.
Tithers how do you measure what to tithe hourly, daily, weekly or yearly go and read the old testament and see various types of tithes and for your information its not only money they tithe those days which of these (types of tithes) should we observe. Tithers if tithing is not abolished as spoken in hebrews 7 then keep observing the sabbath, keep making sacrifices and keep doing the passover, when Jesus came to replace these with free will offering, (not grudgingly or of necessity; tithing is of necessity) His death on the TREE and the Holy Communinion respectively. Think again brainwashed folks. May God Bless SirJohn and Kunle they've sowed a seed in people heart and I believe it will bring forth result remember it's hard to fight against conscience.

Whats your problem with Hebrews7?Have kunle and co deceived you?There were different offerings in the old testament and various sacrifices.I guess christians should also not give offerings again or present sacrifices abi?
Re: A Question For Tithe Payers by Image123(m): 3:40pm On Mar 07, 2009
@kunleOshob
For you to know that Jewish laws don't apply to christians read romans 10:4, Galatians chapter 3 and also chapter 5.
God bless you as he reveals his will to you.

How many times and years will it take to tell you and remind you that tihe is not a Jewish law.it was practised before Israel was conceived.Do you keep forgetting,or you just decide you must be correct by force
Re: A Question For Tithe Payers by otokx(m): 4:00pm On Mar 07, 2009
some people still dey here
Re: A Question For Tithe Payers by Image123(m): 4:01pm On Mar 07, 2009
@o9999
I NEED HELPI am a bit confused about tithing and would like you lot to help me come to a good decision.
(Please let not Sir_john or Kunleoshob be the ones to respond to this one)

Please Can some one who is a true believer of tithes tell me from the Bible WHAT IS TITHE? (is it money or not?)
Please let nobody reply to this articular post without saying CLEARLY what tithe is because for you to believe in something, you have to know what it is you believe.

Again, i get the impression that MOST people are tithing BECAUSE they expect GOD to BLESS / PUNISH them.
If you knew for sure God will not punish you for not tithing, will you still tithe?

Finally, who will be more pleasing in God's sight
1:- some one who gives complete 10% tithe of everything without alms giving (or even grudgingly) or
2:- some one who gives alms (helps complete strangers) expecting nothing in return WITHOUT giving tithes AT ALL

Tithe is a tenth,simple.Hebrews 7:2  To whom also Abraham gave a tenth part of all; first being by interpretation King of righteousness, and after that also King of Salem, which is, King of peace;
It is 1/10 of what comes in,whether cash or kind.
You get the impression that many tihe because God will bless/punish them.Very true.there are different motives and driving forces for doing things.Some people gave their lives to Christ because they're afraid of going to hell,some because they will love to go to heaven,some for other purposes.More importantly,they are saved and keeping the commands of God.
I'll like to ask you?which one will be more pleasing in God's sight?praying or reading bible?they're both right and should both be done.Don't substitute one for the other
Re: A Question For Tithe Payers by ttalks(m): 4:26pm On Mar 07, 2009
Image123:

@kunleOshob

How many times and years will it take to tell you and remind you that tihe is not a Jewish law.it was practised before Israel was conceived.Do you keep forgetting,or you just decide you must be correct by force

Tithes practiced before Israel was concieved were not a law to man. They were done of freewill and not of commandment or law. Abraham gave his to Melchizedek of his freewill and not of his property but of the spoils or gains from war.He also returned the 90% to the owners.
Jacob made a promise to tithe only if God did something for him,but there was no record of him fulfilling that promise.

Tithes practiced after Israel was concieved were a law to man. They were done according to the law and they had expected benefits for obedience.

The tithes being preached by various Pastors are those according to the law;howbeit wrongly, that is why Malachi 3 is the portion they use to enforce it. The tithes in Malachai 3 were the tithes according to the law.

Pastors always run to that line saying, ", tithes existed before the law." once they see that they have been backed up into a corner with evidences showing that tithes are not a part of the Christian walk.

And besides,there are three time frames in the bible:
1. The time before the law
2. The time within the law(old covenant)
3. The time after the law (new covenant)

We as Christians are operating within the time after the law;not the two previous times,so why should the practice of a time gone away be part of the Christian faith as a law or doctrine when the time we exist in has it's own laws and doctrines.
Can't we see that as Christians,we are operating within a new way of life(new covenant) and not an old(old covenant) or former(before the law)?

Hebrews 10:19-20
(19)  Having therefore, brethren, boldness to enter into the holiest by the blood of Jesus,
(20)  By a new and living way, which he hath consecrated for us, through the veil, that is to say, his flesh;

The new covenant preaches only one type of giving and that is freewill giving that is determined solely by the giver and not by any law or percentage or any neccessity.Tithes do not conform to this type of giving because it is a law,the amount is not determined by the giver rather it is a fixed 10% and it is of necessity.

If a person decides of his own accord to give 10% of his earnings to the church or the work of God,that is beautiful,but only as long as it isn't done based on the false teaching about tithes of today.It should be of his/her own personal decision and not of compulsion of a law or threat from pastors.
It should be done based on a freewill.This freewill encompasses:

1. The earnest desire to do so
2. The ability to do so
3. The comfort to do so
4. The joy in doing so

If at any point in time the person is not able to do so maybe due to some constraints or situation, he/she has no problem. Whenever he/she feels he/she can and wants to, he/she can give.

Freewill giving is what is preached by the new covenant teachings,not compulsory,mandatory or law backed giving.
Re: A Question For Tithe Payers by Image123(m): 4:43pm On Mar 07, 2009
@ttalks
I'll like to ask a question.Numbers 18:26 says  Thus speak unto the Levites, and say unto them, When ye take of the children of Israel the tithes which I have given you from them for your inheritance, then ye shall offer up a heave offering of it for the LORD, even a tenth part of the tithe.   and then that Deuteronmy passage says they are to eat their tithes.
Is it possible for the children of Israel to eat their tithes and then give their tithe to the priests at the same time? Is that place contradicting?
Re: A Question For Tithe Payers by Image123(m): 4:56pm On Mar 07, 2009
Who told you that tithe is a law?.Don't you know that freewill offerings were done under the law?You guys always miss it.Tithe is not the law.Giving is not the law,yet love is the fulfilling of the law.Tithe is a form of giving and it should be done cheerfully as love should be done cheerfully
Re: A Question For Tithe Payers by ttalks(m): 5:00pm On Mar 07, 2009
Image123:

@ttalks
I'll like to ask a question.Numbers 18:26 says  Thus speak unto the Levites, and say unto them, When ye take of the children of Israel the tithes which I have given you from them for your inheritance, then ye shall offer up a heave offering of it for the LORD, even a tenth part of the tithe.   and then that Deuteronmy passage says they are to eat their tithes.
Is it possible for the children of Israel to eat their tithes and then give their tithe to the priests at the same time? Is that place contradicting?

The answer to this question is still within Deuteronomy 14. The levites,the widows,the orphans,the strangers,etc all have a portion in the tithes.

Deuteronomy 14:27-29
(27)  And the Levite that is within thy gates; thou shalt not forsake him; for he hath no part nor inheritance with thee.
(28 )  At the end of three years thou shalt bring forth all the tithe of thine increase the same year, and shalt lay it up within thy gates:
(29) And the Levite, (because he hath no part nor inheritance with thee,) and the stranger, and the fatherless, and the widow, which are within thy gates, shall come, and shall eat and be satisfied; that the LORD thy God may bless thee in all the work of thine hand which thou doest.

The levites have a portion in the tithes.

For u to ask if those portions are contradicting indicates that the way in which u choose to understand the message is wrong.
Re: A Question For Tithe Payers by ttalks(m): 5:09pm On Mar 07, 2009
Image123:

Who told you that tithe is a law?.[/b]Don't you know that freewill offerings were done under the law?You guys always miss it.Tithe is not the law.Giving is not the law,yet love is the fulfilling of the law.Tithe is a form of giving and it should be done cheerfully as love should be done cheerfully

The answer to the bold portion of ur question above is within Deuteronomy 14.

Deuteronomy 14:22
(22) [b]Thou shalt
truly tithe all the increase of thy seed, that the field bringeth forth year by year.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Is It A Sin When You Don’t Go To Church On Sunday? / The African Origin Of Is-ra-el / Post Your Church Name And Your Position/Duty In Church

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 146
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.