Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,869 members, 7,802,800 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:55 PM

A Question For Tithe Payers - Religion (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / A Question For Tithe Payers (18271 Views)

If A Thieve Steals The Money I Had Packaged For Tithe, Do I Still Pay Tithe From / Uncomfortable Questions For Tithe Preachers / A Question For Tithe Payers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Question For Tithe Payers by JJYOU: 1:59pm On Mar 20, 2009
Pastor AIO:

I would have been fooled. The way it is preached from the pulpit you would think it were the only important thing about christianity. The way it is being defended you would think it were the cornerstone of christianity.

That you have the right to do what you want with your cash is not the issue. The issue is that it is taught as a cash offering not a food offering and as a central christian practice that will cause God to bless you. The issue is that scriptures are being twisted to facilitate this extortion. If you choose to give me your money then that is up to you, however if you've given me your money on account of a lie that I've told you then that is extortion. That is theft. Most churches are practicing theft on a grand scale. THAT is the point!
paul said u nearly convinced me
Re: A Question For Tithe Payers by Yeye77(f): 2:46pm On Mar 20, 2009
i believe that people should do whatever works for them oo! if it's tithing all good, if its not tithing all good! no need to get all personal and all!

But people in support of tithing should remeber that even the bible says you should test all things with ur spirit!

I have no opinion on other people tithing, its ur money u can do whatever you choose with it. But i wonder why there are so many people starving and in Need and there are pastors with private jets, loads of care and massive houses! do tithes and collections pay for this?

Do you realise that if every christian in Nigeria payed just N10 a week, we could educate most of the children in Nigeria, who need to be educated.

I believe the bibles says that whereever two or three are gathered in His name, God is there, so whats with building million naira churches!!!

Personally i would rather use my money, any amount i choose, to help others. With as little as N10,000 you can give a family the opportunity to start a business which will make a difference to their circumstances.

The natural rule of life usually says when u give , u will receive, i'm not sure why that should be limited to tithing! So if i don't tithe my heavens will close? Crap!

I have noticed that when u start a conversation with people about religion, u will be suprised at how close minded they can be. No constructive statements or indepth knowledge of the religion they practice. Just alot of 'the devil is using u" or 'my pastor says"
Re: A Question For Tithe Payers by KunleOshob(m): 3:13pm On Mar 20, 2009
@Yeye77
Thanx for your contribution, but let me correct an impression you have. those of us against the preaching of tithes are not against tithing in itself per se, what we are against is the fraudulent way it is preached by most preachers as compulsory for christians when there is clearly no sound scriptural baisis for it. Clear two things are wrong with the way most pastors preach tithes, firstly biblical tithes was not money as money was not considered a tithable item since tithes was food meant to be eaten in the temple by the tither himself, secondly several scriptures in the new testament tells us that christians are not under the law and hebrews 7:11,12 &18 clearly anulls the tithing law for christians yet our pastors still twist the bible to justify tithes and ignore these passages that condenm tithes. Our grouse is that deception should not be allowed in the christian fold for whatever reason and pastors are duty bound to tell their members the undiluted truth. If you know the turth about tithes and you still decide to tihe of your own free will all well and good. But this deception and lies should not be condoned in the house of God
Re: A Question For Tithe Payers by junijustin: 10:10pm On Mar 20, 2009
Re: A Question For Tithe Payers by junijustin: 11:38pm On Mar 20, 2009
''''
Re: A Question For Tithe Payers by SirJohn(m): 7:46pm On Mar 21, 2009
Aside weighty scriptural evidence already provided against the modern practice of a compulsory 10% remittance of ones income A.K.A tithing, I think those advocating for tithing should forever keep silent if they are unable to tell me what spiritual or financial advantage they have over me.

I know and have met people whom you could say are examples of dedicated tithers, yet I have not seen anything which is common to any human person which they also do not go through.

I once more advice Christians worldwide to ignore empty promises made to them as reward for tithing but rather lead a faithful and diligent life. We cannot all be wealthy tithe or no tithe but we can all be happy by reason of Gods love radiating from within us.

I have challenged these tithers to tell us those supernatural open heaven experiences they've had; well one or two of them did but these experiences are not what you'd call supernatural even though they are extraordinary. Extraordinary events and experiences happen everyday in the lives of several people all over the world; these people are not necessarily tithers.

Be wise!
Re: A Question For Tithe Payers by JJYOU: 7:52pm On Mar 21, 2009
SirJohn:

Aside weighty scriptural evidence already provided against the modern practice of a compulsory 10% remittance of ones income A.K.A tithing, I think those advocating for tithing should forever keep silent if they are unable to tell me what spiritual or financial advantage they have over me.

I know and have met people whom you could say are examples of dedicated tithers, yet I have not seen anything which is common to any human person which they also do not go through.

I once more advice Christians worldwide to ignore empty promises made to them as reward for tithing but rather lead a faithful and diligent life. We cannot all be wealthy tithe or no tithe but we can all be happy by reason of Gods love radiating from within us.

I have challenged these tithers to tell us those supernatural open heaven experiences they've had; well one or two of them did but these experiences are not what you'd call supernatural even though they are extraordinary. Extraordinary events and experiences happen everyday in the lives of several people all over the world; these people are not necessarily tithers.

Be wise!
why does this thing pain u so much oga?

junijustin:

I can confirm that Gbile Akanni does not believe in tithing and does not teach it. He is also one bible teacher that does not talk to his audience about the financial needs of his ministry so that he does not collect offerings in his meetings. So if you are looking for a point of reference in a bible teacher for non tithing, that's one.

Moreso, since tithing is sure revenue for churches. that is why it is easy to discard other things in the law and hold on to tithing 'inspite of ther seeming significant differences' as you pointed out
how does bro Akanni get his fundings then?
Re: A Question For Tithe Payers by SirJohn(m): 8:10pm On Mar 21, 2009
JJYOU:

why does this thing pain u so much oga?

Do you want to attempt answering the question on their behalf? come on give it a try!!
Re: A Question For Tithe Payers by JJYOU: 8:15pm On Mar 21, 2009
SirJohn:

Do you want to attempt answering the question on their behalf? come on give it a try!!
u try answeing my question plss.
Re: A Question For Tithe Payers by SirJohn(m): 8:24pm On Mar 21, 2009
JJYOU:

u try answeing my question plss.

Just in case you've forgotten, the title of the thread is 'A Question For Tithe Payers', if you are one, then your post here should be addressing the question dont you think? Well what I mean is that I ask the questions here aight??
Re: A Question For Tithe Payers by junijustin: 1:46am On Mar 22, 2009
Re: A Question For Tithe Payers by Image123(m): 2:23am On Mar 22, 2009
@grand jedi
Hmm, people are still waging "Holy War" on this issue of whether to tithe or not (hope we don't get any suicide bombers ).

Whatever side of the fence you're on concerning this issue, let's know that it's not the most important thing about Christianity. Moreover everyone should have a right to do what they want with their hard-earned or (easily-stolen cash as the case may be ).

IMHO this is just one of such cases of "doubtful disputations" that Paul was talking about. Let's put this issue behind us already. As long as you're saved by the blood of the Lamb we're brothers. Let me give my 10% and you use yours however you like. JESUS is still LORD!!!

Thanks for the comment above.Its what I've been trying to say all DAYyy.Tithing is no big deal,its a little tiny,light matter in the law.It is not by force.But the antitithers are bent on making sure that there's no tither left on the surface of the earth again.They claim to be loosing people from bondage.They claim tithing to be a lie and an evil thing.I thank my God,I've not been here to say give your tithe for it is the road to God's blessings.All I've been here to say is that tithing is biblical.It was found practiced in the Bible,before the law,during the law and after.It wasn't condemned by Jesus or any of His apostles.It is a tenth of your increase whether the increase is animal or plant or spoil or as Jacob said all that God gives me.That's all we've been saying calmly and peacefully at our leisure.
Romans 14:1 Him that is weak in the faith receive ye, but not to doubtful disputations.
Rom 14:2 For one believeth that he may eat all things: another, who is weak, eateth herbs.
Rom 14:3 Let not him that eateth despise him that eateth not; and let not him which eateth not judge him that eateth: for God hath received him.

@Pastor AIO
I would have been fooled. The way it is preached from the pulpit you would think it were the only important thing about christianity. The way it is being defended you would think it were the cornerstone of christianity.

What pulpit exactly is that,that you guys claim to preach only about tithing every sunday? I don't know of any such,maybe I'm not as experienced in moving from church to church though.What way has tithing been defended on this thread? Stop being hypocritical.Majority of tithe payers have barely defended paying tithes,instead,they've just said tithing is good or asked you guys to stop confusing others.You guys hurriedly took that as a form of weakness claiming that tithe payers don't read their Bibles and that they were all a deluded fleeced bunch.That's why I decided to stand and be a light to you and some possibly weak believers who may believe your lies without fairly looking at the two sides first.

@Yeye77
I have no opinion on other people tithing, its ur money u can do whatever you choose with it. But i wonder why there are so many people starving and in Need and there are pastors with private jets, loads of care and massive houses! do tithes and collections pay for this?

Firstly pastors should not be starving or in need in the stead of the poor.Tithes,collections,offerings,vows,donations,launchings and co pay for all the loads of stuff that the flamboyant pastors use.Unfortunately,pharisseeaic people who revere tithes as big deal, only spot tithes as the source of the pastor's funds.They do not see the other major sources.Offerings which they readily agree to be more than a tenth do not get looked at.All they can see is the 'big/huge/almighty' tithe.

@KunleOshob
Thanx for your contribution, but let me correct an impression you have. those of us against the preaching of tithes are not against tithing in itself per se

Eee,tell this to the devil.he just might believe your tongue in cheek statement.

@junijustin
@image123
What would you say qualifies something to be under the law or not? Was it not given to the Isrealites as a law they were to obey under the Old covenant. Was it not part of the old covenant package. I would not be inclined to defend the practice under the new covenant just because Abraham and Jacob gave tithes before the law was given(something that happened once with each person as recorded).

If only you understand what it means to not be under the law,but under grace, then you'll not simply discard any and every single thing that appears from Exodus to John or wherever your 'law' starts and ends.I've once asked,Is "thou shall not tempt the Lord",or "thou shall love the Lord with all thy heart",or "thou shalt worship only the Lord thy God" and many other important scripture simply forgone conclusions because they seem to appear under the law?Also,as a christian,i don't think that the Bible has to record Abraham wanting to sacrifice his son or doing any other thing a thousand times before I learn from him and follow his example,even aside from being the "father of faith".

I believe this was what Abraham and Jacob did when they gave tithes, only as one-off occurences. I dont believe they instituted a practice. The regular practice of bringing 10% by obligation was instituted with the law of Moses. and New testament believers are no longer under that obligation.

Ever heard of WHATSOEVER were written aforetime been written for my learning OR ALL scripture is profitable for doctrine?WHy don't you just leave me alone to learn from and be indoctrinated by this patriachs.Also,so that you start repeating it less,there's nothing to suggest in the scriptures that their practices were one-offs.These were consistent and faithful people.They don't need to write it in every chapter and generation for you to know that Abraham and his people gave sacrifices,tithes and offerings,served God and performed circumcision among other things.
Genesis 18:19 For I know him, that he will command his children and his household after him, and they shall keep the way of the LORD, to do justice and judgment; that the LORD may bring upon Abraham that which he hath spoken of him.
Gen 28:20 And Jacob vowed a vow, saying, If God will be with me, and will keep me in this way that I go, and will give me bread to eat, and raiment to put on,
Gen 28:21 So that I come again to my father's house in peace; then shall the LORD be my God:
Gen 28:22 And this stone, which I have set for a pillar, shall be God's house: and of all that thou shalt give me I will surely give the tenth unto thee.
I'm not sure if I need to add that Jacob's request was answered and that he kept his vow the many times that the Lord gave to him.

One other reason I am convinced that God does not require christians to obey the law of tithing is that I've often wondered, 'if it was such an important issue in the christian's stewardship of finances, how come Paul never mentioned it when he taught the churches he ministered to and wrote about giving'? His writing to the Corinthian christians on the grace of giving did not mention anything about percentages let alone tithing.

I don't know where the new covenant asks/advices us to give church money to other people.Why don't/didn't you give your school fees to the poor since you care so much for them,or steal like robin hood to help them?Or just simply give some part of the remaining 90% to this noble cause for the poor?I've said it before,I don't know about the law of tithing.Its not in my Bible,please can you quote this 'law of tithing' for me?I can't seem to find it in my Bible(s).Also,I've said before somewhere that I don't have access to all of apostle Paul's sermons ad letters.I don't see a reason why he should write to a people who gave more than 100% and who were forward in giving,an example and a boast to others on bounty.I don't see a reason why he should tell them to not forget to bring 10%.Its just not logical to me.These were people who had all things common,not stingy modern day christians whose talk is very cheap about giving and who find the littlest form of giving in the Bible as a yoke and a curse.
Re: A Question For Tithe Payers by Akolawole(m): 3:21am On Mar 22, 2009
Waoh!

Pataki just told me last week about boxing gloves are regularly exchanged in Religion section grin

@Kunle

I read only the first-two pages of this thread so my contribution might have been touched by others.

Tithing is a biblical principle laid for everyone including the Pastors.

There a number of places in the Bible where Tithing was practiced. The first among them was Abraham's one in Genesis 14:20.

#In my own opinion, the one you reffered to in Deuteronomy 14 is a tithe to be used by person who pay it. Say contributions of Nairalanders to be spent in Seun Osewa's house to feed all of us in a Nairaland gathering.

# The main(general) tithe though specifically stated in Malachi can also be traced to the same chapter you were having problem with. Please look at Deuteronomy 14: 29.

Tithe Monies is to be used cater for Levites, widows, orphans, Pastors, church programmes and the likes.

That book in Malachi is probably the only chapter in the bible where God lay accusation of robbing him

Corrigenda

## Tithing is not a Old testament thingy, the use of its monies is also stressed in 1 choritians 9: 13-14 which says "13 Don't you know that those who work in the temple get their food from the temple, and those who serve at the altar share in what is offered on the altar? 14In the same way, the Lord has commanded that those who preach the gospel should receive their living from the gospel. NIV

## Of course Muslim pay more than tithe. I grew up among the muslim in ibadan and i think it is called sakat
Re: A Question For Tithe Payers by SirJohn(m): 6:25am On Mar 22, 2009
Image123:

I thank my God,I've not been here to say give your tithe for it is the road to God's blessings.

Then strangely, you must be one out of a gazillion of them

Image123:

All I've been here to say is that tithing is biblical.It was found practiced in the Bible,before the law,during the law and after.

Already Image123, we have told you from scriptures that the tithe practiced by Abraham and Jacob before the law was not anything near what Malachi 3:10 said.

Please would you be kind to show us where tithing was practiced after the law?
Re: A Question For Tithe Payers by grandjedi(m): 5:21pm On Mar 23, 2009
@ Image 123,
Thanks, bro. Sometimes if we're not careful our focus can be shifted from performing the good works that God had called us into expending time and energy on endless arguements that don't advance Christ. I'm not saying it's wrong to argue or debate but if it becomes a never-ending-story with nothing constructive and tending to strife; then let's watch out.

When we start stereotyping pastors and castigating them everytime we talk about money, then something is wrong somewhere. This is not saying there aren't bad eggs or fakes. But I have come across and I'm still seeing many men of God who are such blessings that can't be quantified. So I think we shouldn't lump things together to the point where if you say "pastor" the first thing people will think of is "dishonest, crooked swindling rogue". My pastor and many, many others out there are very honourable men - and a call to the ministry is a high calling. Let's be careful not to make profane that which is holy.

@ Akolawole,
Important contribution there my brother. I also think a good understanding of the High Priestly role of Christ is vital in this issue. I may physically pay my tithes to my local church, but it is my High Priest in the heavenly tabernacle that receives it. He is the One I'm honouring, not man. But at the same time it is used to cater to the physical needs of the ministers and other charitable causes.
Re: A Question For Tithe Payers by KunleOshob(m): 10:49am On Mar 24, 2009
@Akolawole
i think you still still do more studies on tithes before you come to a conclusion.

Poser: is the type of tithes being practised today described in any were in the bible or is it an adaptation?
Re: A Question For Tithe Payers by Image123(m): 12:19pm On Mar 25, 2009
@grand jedi
Thanks for the post.Its noted.I'm going to just recoil from replying this topic.I've said enough.He that has ear to hear,let him hear.

@SirJohn

We've told you one thing that we have over you,and I'm sure you very well remember.It is peace.You're restless,discontent and lacking peace.No peace,saith the Lord,for the wicked.And may I advice you to stop your anti-christ like question?You're not the first to ask a similar question.The rich and healthy sinner has asked us,what are you enjoying as a believer that I'm not?you're even having more trials than I do,he said.The one who attends church only on watchnight service has asked before,what is the big deal with you who went all through the year,I have a job/promotion while you the born again lost yours.The atheists has asked before in similar vein.Infact,some asked far back as Malachi,check out its tithe and offering connection.

Mal 3:11 And I will rebuke the devourer for your sakes, and he shall not destroy the fruits of your ground; neither shall your vine cast her fruit before the time in the field, saith the LORD of hosts.
Mal 3:12  And all nations shall call you blessed: for ye shall be a delightful land, saith the LORD of hosts.
Mal 3:13  Your words have been stout against me, saith the LORD. Yet ye say, What have we spoken so much against thee?
Mal 3:14  Ye have said, It is vain to serve God: and what profit is it that we have kept his ordinance, and that we have walked mournfully before the LORD of hosts?
Mal 3:15  And now we call the proud happy; yea, they that work wickedness are set up; yea, they that tempt God are even delivered.
Mal 3:16  Then they that feared the LORD spoke often one to another: and the LORD hearkened, and heard it, and a book of remembrance was written before him for them that feared the LORD, and that thought upon his name.
Mal 3:17  And they shall be mine, saith the LORD of hosts, in that day when I make up my jewels; and I will spare them, as a man spareth his own son that serveth him.
Mal 3:18  Then shall ye return, and discern between the righteous and the wicked, between him that serveth God and him that serveth him not.

Please would you be kind to show us where tithing was practiced after the law?
where does after the law start for you?If I quoted,you'll again come up with excuses.Are we to delete Malachi3v10 from the Bible or why did you mention it with such ??
Re: A Question For Tithe Payers by KunleOshob(m): 12:35pm On Mar 25, 2009
@image123
After all your rantings you are still yet to establish that tithing as any sound scriptural basis in christianity. tongue And need i remind you, tithing was specifically abolished in Hebrews 7: 11-20. These facts you have read but you keep on deluding youtself and leading others out of the grace of christ(galatians 5:4)
Re: A Question For Tithe Payers by SirJohn(m): 9:20am On Mar 26, 2009
@Image123,
Here is what the Bible says:

Isaiah 26:3
"Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee, because he trusteth in thee."

This my dear is the source of peace, not tithing; go sell your rotten lies to your gullible congregation
Re: A Question For Tithe Payers by Nobody: 3:31pm On Mar 26, 2009
@poster' God is not a man that he shld lie.
I bet if u obey and live by that word, u sure have ur blessings.
Re: A Question For Tithe Payers by todak(m): 7:39pm On Apr 18, 2009
What Tithe Really Means

What is Tithe?

Tithe means dedicated the first one-tenth of our income for support of God’s work in faith and love through righteousness. It is a command from God. It is the key to Open Heavens. It provides divine insurance against satanic encroachment
Lev 27:30, “And all the tithe of the land, whether of the seed of the land, or of the fruit of the tree, is the LORD's: it is holy unto the LORD”

Deut 26:1-2, “And it shall be, when thou art come in unto the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee for an inheritance, and possessest it, and dwellest therein; That thou shalt take of the first of all the fruit of the earth, which thou shalt bring of thy land that the LORD thy God giveth thee, and shalt put it in a basket, and shalt go unto the place which the LORD thy God shall choose to place his name there”
Mal 3:10-11. “Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the LORD of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it. And I will rebuke the devourer for your sakes, and he shall not destroy the fruits of your ground; neither shall your vine cast her fruit before the time in the field, saith the LORD of hosts”

Tithing befor the Law

According to the bible, Abraham was first believer who paid Tithe
Gen 14:20 “And blessed be the most high God, which hath delivered thine enemies into thy hand. And he gave him tithes of all”

Heb 7:2-6 ‘To whom also Abraham gave a tenth part of all; first being by interpretation King of righteousness, and after that also King of Salem, which is, King of peace;Without father, without mother, without descent, having neither beginning of days, nor end of life; but made like unto the Son of God; abideth a priest continually. Now consider how great this man was, unto whom even the patriarch Abraham gave the tenth of the spoils. And verily they that are of the sons of Levi, who receive the office of the priesthood, have a commandment to take tithes of the people according to the law, that is, of their brethren, though they come out of the loins of Abraham: But he whose descent is not counted from them received tithes of Abraham, and blessed him that had the promises.”

Rom 4:12, “And the father of circumcision to them who are not of the circumcision only, but who also walk in the steps of that faith of our father Abraham, which he had being yet uncircumcised.”

Jacob also paid tithe. Gen 28:22. “And this stone, which I have set for a pillar, shall be God's house: and of all that thou shalt give me I will surely give the tenth unto thee”

Tithing under the Law

All the tithe of the land, whether of produce of the land, or flock. are for the Lord.
Lev 27:30, “And all the tithe of the land, whether of the seed of the land, or of the fruit of the tree, is the LORD's: it is holy unto the LORD”

Deut 14:23. “And thou shalt eat before the LORD thy God, in the place which he shall choose to place his name there, the tithe of thy corn, of thy wine, and of thine oil, and the firstlings of thy herds and of thy flocks; that thou mayest learn to fear the LORD thy God always.”
Deut 16:17 “Every man shall give as he is able, according to the blessing of the LORD thy God which he hath given thee.”. Even tithing were obeyed during the reigns of Kings and prophets.
2Chr. 31:5-12. “And as soon as the commandment came abroad, the children of Israel brought in abundance the firstfruits of corn, wine, and oil, and honey, and of all the increase of the field; and the tithe of all things brought they in abundantly. And concerning the children of Israel and Judah, that dwelt in the cities of Judah, they also brought in the tithe of oxen and sheep, and the tithe of holy things which were consecrated unto the LORD their God, and laid them by heaps. In the third month they began to lay the foundation of the heaps, and finished them in the seventh month. And when Hezekiah and the princes came and saw the heaps, they blessed the LORD, and his people Israel. Then Hezekiah questioned with the priests and the Levites concerning the heaps. And Azariah the chief priest of the house of Zadok answered him, and said, Since the people began to bring the offerings into the house of the LORD, we have had enough to eat, and have left plenty: for the LORD hath blessed his people; and that which is left is this great store. Then Hezekiah commanded to prepare chambers in the house of the LORD; and they prepared them, And brought in the offerings and the tithes and the dedicated things faithfully: over which Cononiah the Levite was ruler, and Shimei his brother was the next.

Neh 10:37. “And that we should bring the firstfruits of our dough, and our offerings, and the fruit of all manner of trees, of wine and of oil, unto the priests, to the chambers of the house of our God; and the tithes of our ground unto the Levites, that the same Levites might have the tithes in all the cities of our tillage.”
Neh 13:10-14 “And I perceived that the portions of the Levites had not been given them: for the Levites and the singers, that did the work, were fled every one to his field. Then contended I with the rulers, and said, Why is the house of God forsaken? And I gathered them together, and set them in their place. Then brought all Judah the tithe of the corn and the new wine and the oil unto the treasuries. And I made treasurers over the treasuries, Shelemiah the priest, and Zadok the scribe, and of the Levites, Pedaiah: and next to them was Hanan the son of Zaccur, the son of Mattaniah: for they were counted faithful, and their office was to distribute unto their brethren. Remember me, O my God, concerning this, and wipe not out my good deeds that I have done for the house of my God, and for the offices thereof.”
,Mal. 3:7-12 “Even from the days of your fathers ye are gone away from mine ordinances, and have not kept them. Return unto me, and I will return unto you, saith the LORD of hosts. But ye said, Wherein shall we return? Will a man rob God? Yet ye have robbed me. But ye say, Wherein have we robbed thee? In tithes and offerings. Ye are cursed with a curse: for ye have robbed me, even this whole nation. Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the LORD of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it. And I will rebuke the devourer for your sakes, and he shall not destroy the fruits of your ground; neither shall your vine cast her fruit before the time in the field, saith the LORD of hosts. And all nations shall call you blessed: for ye shall be a delightsome land, saith the LORD of hosts.

Tithe in the New Testament

This is the hot area, where many doubted the paying of Tithe, but I want us know Jesus spoke about Tithe . Matt 23:23. “Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.”
Lk 18:9-12. “And he spake this parable unto certain which trusted in themselves that they were righteous, and despised others: Two men went up into the temple to pray; the one a Pharisee, and the other a publican. The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, God, I thank thee, that I am not as other men are, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this publican. I fast twice in the week, I give tithes of all that I possess.”

What is God’s purpose for Tithing

This is another area where people get it wrong, some believe it not supposed to be paid at all, some it should be free will not a certain amount, and others it should be paid at a pleasure. Now take a look at what my answer are:
1. For supporting of Ministers of God, Tithe were for the Levites and our Pastors are the Levites of Today.
Num 18:24-26. “But the tithes of the children of Israel, which they offer as an heave offering unto the LORD, I have given to the Levites to inherit: therefore I have said unto them, Among the children of Israel they shall have no inheritance. And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying, Thus speak unto the Levites, and say unto them, When ye take of the children of Israel the tithes which I have given you from them for your inheritance, then ye shall offer up an heave offering of it for the LORD, even a tenth part of the tithe”
Deut 14:27-28. “And the Levite that is within thy gates; thou shalt not forsake him; for he hath no part nor inheritance with thee. At the end of three years thou shalt bring forth all the tithe of thine increase the same year, and shalt lay it up within thy gates”
Neh 10:37-38. “And that we should bring the firstfruits of our dough, and our offerings, and the fruit of all manner of trees, of wine and of oil, unto the priests, to the chambers of the house of our God; and the tithes of our ground unto the Levites, that the same Levites might have the tithes in all the cities of our tillage. And the priest the son of Aaron shall be with the Levites, when the Levites take tithes: and the Levites shall bring up the tithe of the tithes unto the house of our God, to the chambers, into the treasure house.”
1Cor 9:7-18. “Who goeth a warfare any time at his own charges? who planteth a vineyard, and eateth not of the fruit thereof? or who feedeth a flock, and eateth not of the milk of the flock? Say I these things as a man? or saith not the law the same also? For it is written in the law of Moses, thou shalt not muzzle the mouth of the ox that treadeth out the corn. Doth God take care for oxen? Or saith he it altogether for our sakes? For our sakes, no doubt, this is written: that he that ploweth should plow in hope; and that he that thresheth in hope should be partaker of his hope. If we have sown unto you spiritual things, is it a great thing if we shall reap your carnal things? If others be partakers of this power over you, are not we rather? Nevertheless we have not used this power; but suffer all things, lest we should hinder the gospel of Christ. Do ye not know that they which minister about holy things live of the things of the temple? and they which wait at the altar are partakers with the altar? Even so hath the Lord ordained that they which preach the gospel should live of the gospel. But I have used none of these things: neither have I written these things, that it should be so done unto me: for it were better for me to die, than that any man should make my glorying void. For though I preach the gospel, I have nothing to glory of: for necessity is laid upon me; yea, woe is unto me, if I preach not the gospel! For if I do this thing willingly, I have a reward: but if against my will, a dispensation of the gospel is committed unto me. What is my reward then? Verily that, when I preach the gospel, I may make the gospel of Christ without charge, that I abuse not my power in the gospel.”

2 That house of God will not be in want. Mal 3:10 “Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the LORD of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it.”
3 Supporting the orphans and the Poor. Deut 26:12-14 “When thou hast made an end of tithing all the tithes of thine increase the third year, which is the year of tithing, and hast given it unto the Levite, the stranger, the fatherless, and the widow, that they may eat within thy gates, and be filled; Then thou shalt say before the LORD thy God, I have brought away the hallowed things out of mine house, and also have given them unto the Levite, and unto the stranger, to the fatherless, and to the widow, according to all thy commandments which thou hast commanded me: I have not transgressed thy commandments, neither have I forgotten them. I have not eaten thereof in my mourning, neither have I taken away ought thereof for any unclean use, nor given ought thereof for the dead: but I have hearkened to the voice of the LORD my God, and have done according to all that thou hast commanded me”
Rom 15:25-26. “But now I go unto Jerusalem to minister unto the saints. For it hath pleased them of Macedonia and Achaia to make a certain contribution for the poor saints which are at Jerusalem.”
4 For spreading the Gospel Act 11:29. “Then the disciples, every man according to his ability, determined to send relief unto the brethren which dwelt in Judaea”
Acts 24:17. “Now after many years I came to bring alms to my nation, and offerings”
These are the purposes of Tithe, It only takes a God-Fearing Pastor to obey, and that is why people are complaining of men of God demanding for tithe, it morally not right, but it is for the good of their congregation, but here I only refer to a Genuie Pastor, if you doubt the credibility of your pastor, then you have to take on your worries and I think this comes up because of lack of trust, which is not suppose to be, If you are attending a living Church, not money makers, and do not want your pastor to suffer, then you should pay your tithe in time and accurately.

Now I have studied that the FAQ about tithe, the most asked is what I will highlight and answer,
1. Is the Tithe not for those under the Law?
Payment of Tithes was practiced before the law. And so was gotten even the law was. Read Matt 23:23 “Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.”

2. Should I tithe gross or net?
Your Gross income is your real income, frankly it is gross not net, cos that is what you received and was officially recorded and since God never divided his blessing to certain people and later to other, why should you now, take away the house allowance and others, he gave it to you free, why would you not give to him back, or is 10% too much for God, remember, lay up your treasure where moth nor thieves can not destroy.
3. Could I tithe when I can afford it/?
Those who put God First will not be the last to be blessed,
4. Can I borrow my tithe and pay back?
It is not advisable, but if you do, you are going to pay back with 5% interest,
Lev 27:31 “And if a man will at all redeem ought of his tithes, he shall add thereto the fifth part thereof.”
5. How should I tithe as a business man?
The tithe should come out of the profit, not out of your capital.
6. Can I use my tithe to feed the poor?
The tithe is a secured property belonging to God, it does not even belong to you and therefore you can not determine its useage.
7. Can I give my tithe any where I find myself or to my favourite ministers or ministries?
Mal 3:10 “That there may be meat in my house”, the tithe belong to the place where you worship, where you are received as part of them, where you take you covering and receive spiritual food. You may say you attend many churches, but you should be identified with one, and that is where you tithe should go, but for instance if you traveled or you are not in your place of covering, you can pay it there if you see you can be tempted to touch, but if you can hold on, pay it at you place of worship.

Conclusion
Job 36:11 “If they obey and serve him, they shall spend their days in prosperity and their years in plenty.”
Re: A Question For Tithe Payers by SirJohn(m): 12:00am On Apr 19, 2009
Who is this copy and paste poster? My friend go and study your bible and stop lifting write ups from webpages.
Re: A Question For Tithe Payers by PastorAIO: 11:17am On Apr 19, 2009
He even started another thread here:
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-263218.0.html
with the same nonsense. It would please me if the new thread were just ignored. Although I don't think that will happen. Someone is bound to react.
I think we already have enough threads on tithing and that all the points on both sides have been exhaustively thrashed out. If anyone wants to cling recalcitrantly to falsehood then that is their own problem.

Image123:

@Pastor AIO

What pulpit exactly is that,that you guys claim to preach only about tithing every sunday? I don't know of any such,maybe I'm not as experienced in moving from church to church though.What way has tithing been defended on this thread? Stop being hypocritical.Majority of tithe payers have barely defended paying tithes,instead,they've just said tithing is good or asked you guys to stop confusing others.You guys hurriedly took that as a form of weakness claiming that tithe payers don't read their Bibles and that they were all a deluded fleeced bunch.That's why I decided to stand and be a light to you and some possibly weak believers who may believe your lies without fairly looking at the two sides first.

"What pulpit exactly is that, that you guys claim to preach only about tithing every sunday?". Is that how you read your bible? Obviously that is the reason for your abject state of confusion. Where in any text that I've written did I say some churches preach about tithing every sunday? You are suffering from delusional hallucinations that is why you read things that are not written. That explains how you can still read the bible and be misled.
And as for your jibe about me skipping from church to church that is just further demonstration of ignorance. You don't have to go to other churches to be aware of the doctrines taught in the churches. Especially not in the internet age.
Re: A Question For Tithe Payers by todak(m): 6:20pm On Apr 20, 2009
@SirJohn

Who is this copy and paste poster? My friend go and study your bible and stop lifting write ups from webpages.

i thought you are reasonable, did i get this fact from any other place than the bible, your reply show how shocked you are, i think you need to take a better look at it and digest it with almost sincereity and not what you claim to believe in. ok

@Pastor AIO

with the same nonsense. It would please me if the new thread were just ignored. Although I don't think that will happen. Someone is bound to react.

I doubt if you are really a pastor, well you better be not, cos you are disgrace to that set of honoured people.

I think we already have enough threads on tithing and that all the points on both sides have been exhaustively thrashed out. If anyone wants to cling recalcitrantly to falsehood then that is their own problem.

Really! and then you have not been able to prove that Tithing is not biblical, well you also need to read the post again, if those bible references are not in your bible, then we can talk, if otherwise, you need to swallow you mess in NL.
Re: A Question For Tithe Payers by SirJohn(m): 6:32pm On Apr 20, 2009
@todak, where were you when tithing issues were discussed here on nairaland. No reasonable person will respond to you so dont even bother yourself. Just go through all the posts from all the threads on tithing; we have discussed every single issue you claim to have read from the bible. Good luck!
Re: A Question For Tithe Payers by PastorAIO: 7:18pm On Apr 20, 2009
todak:

@Pastor AIO

I doubt if you are really a pastor, well you better be not, cos you are disgrace to that set of honoured people.

Really! and then you have not been able to prove that Tithing is not biblical, well you also need to read the post again, if those bible references are not in your bible, then we can talk, if otherwise, you need to swallow you mess in NL.

You have already been advised to read through all the prior threads on tithing but somehow you are not willing to. However I will indulge you, albeit briefing . . .
todak:

What Tithe Really Means

What is Tithe?

Tithe means dedicated the first one-tenth of our income for support of God’s work in faith and love through righteousness. It is a command from God.

This is your first lie. Tithe is food. the produce of the land. Not income. Tithe is food that you are suppose to take to the presence of the Lord and eat in the presence of the Lord. There is no where where it says that the purpose of tithe is to 'support God's work in faith and love . . . blah blah blah'. So when you support your filthy lying statement with these scriptures:
todak:

What Tithe Really Means

Deut 26:1-2, “And it shall be, when thou art come in unto the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee for an inheritance, and possessest it, and dwellest therein; That thou shalt take of the first of all the fruit of the earth, which thou shalt bring of thy land that the LORD thy God giveth thee, and shalt put it in a basket, and shalt go unto the place which the LORD thy God shall choose to place his name there”
Mal 3:10-11. “Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the LORD of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it. And I will rebuke the devourer for your sakes, and he shall not destroy the fruits of your ground; neither shall your vine cast her fruit before the time in the field, saith the LORD of hosts”

. . . I can only conclude that you are truly hallucinating or satan has got you completely hoodwinked and in his pocket because nowhere in those verses does it mention income but rather they all talk about food, the produce of the land. "Bring the tithe into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house". I don't know the quality of your eyesight that you saw 'Bring your cash in the Treasury, that there may be Wealth in mine house'.
Re: A Question For Tithe Payers by todak(m): 3:42pm On Apr 21, 2009
@Pastor AIO

I
You have already been advised to read through all the prior threads on tithing but somehow you are not willing to. However I will indulge you, albeit briefing . . .

Tithe means dedicated the first one-tenth of our income for support of God’s work in faith and love through righteousness. It is a command from God.

This is your first lie. Tithe is food. the produce of the land. Not income. Tithe is food that you are suppose to take to the presence of the Lord and eat in the presence of the Lord. There is no where where it says that the purpose of tithe is to 'support God's work in faith and love . . . blah blah blah'. So when you support your filthy lying statement with these scriptures:

. . . I can only conclude that you are truly hallucinating or satan has got you completely hoodwinked and in his pocket because nowhere in those verses does it mention income but rather they all talk about food, the produce of the land. "Bring the tithe into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house". I don't know the quality of your eyesight that you saw 'Bring your cash in the Treasury, that there may be Wealth in mine house'.

I never said Tithe was Money, you have only termed it and I will agree with you on one aspect. Why?
Cos you tend not to understand it, and I will expalin it to you.
The Word Income is what ever you get or derive from the work you do. And during the time of the Israelites,their major occupation was Farming or shepard and they never engaged in external business transaction, and with that they deal in Farm produce, which is why the Food or Farm produce was used to address them on how to give their tithe. And nowadays, we have differ occupations and all the end result is what? Money, even farmers, they sell their farm produce to get what? Money, so if you say tithe is money, I agree cos money can buy anything, Also did your thinking faculty tell you that Abraham's Spoils were Food in Gen 14:20 “And blessed be the most high God, which hath delivered thine enemies into thy hand. And he gave him tithes of all”

Heb 7:2-6 ‘To whom also Abraham gave a tenth part of all; , unto whom even the patriarch Abraham gave the tenth of the spoils. And verily they that are of the sons of Levi, who receive the office of the priesthood, have a commandment to take tithes of the people according to the law, that is, of their brethren, though they come out of the loins of Abraham: But he whose descent is not counted from them received tithes of Abraham, and blessed him that had the promises.”. You need to study the bible with the relationship it has with our present world not see it as in the day of the Israelites,
I saw you quoted Mal 3:10-11, do you really know what it says and if you do. do you adhere to it or pick those that suits you?
If it is not an act of selfishness, I see no reason why people like you find it difficult to give a certain amout to their pastor, someone who cares for you both Spiritually and physically.
Re: A Question For Tithe Payers by KunleOshob(m): 4:21pm On Apr 21, 2009
@Todak
Again you display a very poor understanind of biblical concepts let me remind you that money was already widely used as at the tithing law was established (deut 14:26) even in that passage it was made clear that money is NOT tithable as the money involved was directed to be used by the tither to purcahse food and drinks to be consumed by him and his family. another point of note is that not all israelites were farmers then there wereother professions as fishermen, hunters, tent makers, black smith, soldiers/guards, poetry makers e.t.c and they were NEVER asked to tithe from the proceeds of their profession. Tithes was strictly food to be consumed by the tither and his family +widows+strangers+orphans and levites in the house of God. So stop mis-interpreting scriptue to justify this greedy and evil act.

Deuteronomy 14:22-29:

The Giving of Tithes

22 “You must set aside a tithe of your crops—one-tenth of all the crops you harvest each year. 23 Bring this tithe to the designated place of worship—the place the Lord your God chooses for his name to be honored—and eat it there in his presence. This applies to your tithes of grain, new wine, olive oil, and the firstborn males of your flocks and herds. Doing this will teach you always to fear the Lord your God.

24 “Now when the Lord your God blesses you with a good harvest, the place of worship he chooses for his name to be honored might be too far for you to bring the tithe. 25 If so, you may sell the tithe portion of your crops and herds, put the money in a pouch, and go to the place the Lord your God has chosen. 26 When you arrive, you may use the money to buy any kind of food you want—cattle, sheep, goats, wine, or other alcoholic drink. Then feast there in the presence of the Lord your God and celebrate with your household. 27 And do not neglect the Levites in your town, for they will receive no allotment of land among you.

28 “At the end of every third year, bring the entire tithe of that year’s harvest and store it in the nearest town. 29 Give it to the Levites, who will receive no allotment of land among you, as well as to the foreigners living among you, the orphans, and the widows in your towns, so they can eat and be satisfied. Then the Lord your God will bless you in all your work.

The above highlighted is clear evidence that money was already in circulation as at the time the tithing law was passed, yet the law never included it as a tithable item. tongue
Re: A Question For Tithe Payers by todak(m): 3:22pm On Apr 23, 2009
Now tell me how many people bring their agriculural produce to church nowadays, tell me how many people give farm produce as offering in church, hey, do not be a fool, in my last post: I never said Tithe was Money, you have only termed it and I will agree with you on one aspect. Why?
Cos you tend not to understand it, and I will expalin it to you.
The Word Income is what ever you get or derive from the work you do. And during the time of the Israelites,their major occupation was Farming or shepard and they never engaged in external business transaction, and with that they deal in Farm produce, which is why the Food or Farm produce was used to address them on how to give their tithe. And nowadays, we have differ occupations and all the end result is what? Money, even farmers, they sell their farm produce to get what? Money, so if you say tithe is money, I agree cos money can buy anything, Also did your thinking faculty tell you that Abraham's Spoils were Food

Where in this post did i write that money was not in circulation, if need glassses it does not cost much, you can get one, cos your eyes decieves you, if you had notice i said they never involved in EXTERNAL BUSINESS TRANSACTION, for your better view.once again, answer my question. did your thinking faculty tell you that Abraham's Spoils were Food? do not try to ignore my question again.ok
Re: A Question For Tithe Payers by KunleOshob(m): 3:35pm On Apr 23, 2009
todak:

did your thinking faculty tell you that Abraham's Spoils were Food? do not try to ignore my question again.ok
And did your own faulty faculties tell you that Abraham's spoil's was money or income which he paid to the priest throughout his life time. Did it also tell you he did it as a commandment which must be emulated.
Re: A Question For Tithe Payers by initiate: 12:29pm On May 21, 2009
The Bible teaches us that it is the will of God for every Believer to have more than enough to meet their needs, to have enough left over to bless others and to give into the work of the Lord. I believe poverty, debt, and lack are a curse. We believe as Christians are obedient in tithing to the local church, sowing financial seeds into ministry, giving of their first fruits, and blessing the needy they will reap a harvest. Provision is having an adequate supply to fulfill the vision (destiny) God has given the Believer, and prosperity is anything more than what meets your needs.

Mal. 3:8-12; Gen. 8:22; Gen 14:20; 1 Kings 17:10-16; Neh. 10:35,37; Prov. 3:9; Lk. 6:38; 2 Cor. 9:6; Gal. 6:7; Phip. 4:10 ,14-19

Since tithing is definitely a principle taught in the Bible, it is absolutely shocking to hear the number of people that teach that tithing isn’t relevant for Christians today. Many of these individuals decry tithing as an “illegal and abusive practice of the Church”. They claim that if you practice tithing you are still under “Old Testament bondage”.

While it is true that we now live in a dispensation of grace, that grace was purchased at a tremendous cost. It did not free me of all obligations to Christ. Lev. 27:30-32 emphasizes that the tithe is “holy unto the Lord”. We are commanded to “Be ye holy; for I am holy” (I Peter 1:16). If we consume upon ourselves that which is holy unto the Lord, then we are cheapening the grace that purchased our redemption.

Scripture records several ceremonial obligations, such as the law of animal sacrifices, which are no longer binding upon the New Testament church (Heb. 9:8–10). These were types that were fulfilled by Christ at his first advent. However, tithing was instituted for a specific purpose and not as a type. The Apostle Paul presented no argument against tithes as he did repeatedly against the ceremonial issues of the law (ex. meats, holy days, new moon feasts, Sabbath days, circumcision, etc.). Jesus himself even commended people for tithing (Matt. 23:23). There are many scriptures in the New Testament showing where the ceremonial law of God was fulfilled and no longer applicable to the church, but there is no scripture stating that tithing in no longer necessary.

This argument is based on the assumption that God gave the tithe eternally and unconditionally to the Levites. The Bible does not say that. When we tithe, we are giving it to the Lord and not to man. Man only uses it. In Malachi 3, Israel was not robbing the Levites of tithes - they were robbing God.

Here are a few common augments against Christians tithing…
1) Tithing was only required of Jews, not Gentiles.

The vast majority of our Bible was written to the Jews. All of Jesus’ words were spoken to Jews. That does not mean we can disregard them because we are not Jews. “For whatsoever things were written aforetime were written for our learning, that we through patience and comfort of the scriptures might have hope.” (Romans 15:4)

2) Before the Law of Moses, tithing was done on a voluntary basis.

All true worship of God is voluntary on our part. That was true before, during and after the Law of Moses. No one makes you attend church. No one forces you to be baptized. No one makes you live a holy life. Similarly, no one can compel you to tithe. That does not mean that it’s optional either. The grace of God allows us to obey all of God’s Word and not just the parts we like. Tithing was before the law (Gen 14 & 28) established by the law (Lev. 27) and reaffirmed by Christ and the New Testament (Matt.23, Lk.11, Heb.7).

3) Malachi 3 was only written to the Jews that were under the Mosaic Law.

“All scripture is given by inspiration of God, ” (II Tim. 3:16). Of course Malachi was writing to the Jews in his day, because the Gentiles were still the wild olive branch that had not yet been grafted in (Romans 11:17). If we are to say that the scriptures only apply to the people that they were originally written for, then we can disregard the entire Bible. We don’t need to show charity, because that was only a charge given to the Corinthians.

4) It is impossible to give tithes to the one true High Priest and anyone else collecting tithes under grace is a fraud and a robber.

“Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.” (Matt. 25:40) It is true that we are not able to physically give our tithes to Christ, and he has no need of them anyway. He owns the cattle on a thousand hills (Psalms 50:10). However, he has established a church that bears his name and is his representation in the earth

5) Only Levites could collect tithes and since the Levitical priesthood has ended, so has tithing.

This argument is based on the assumption that God gave the tithe eternally and unconditionally to the Levites. The Bible does not say that. When we tithe, we are giving it to the Lord and not to man. Man only uses it. In Malachi 3, Israel was not robbing the Levites of tithes - they were robbing God.

The ability to receive tithes was not just based on ancestral heritage. The Bible even records some examples of individuals receiving tithes that were not Levites. Abraham paid tithes to Melchesidek (Gen. 14:18-20) and he obviously was not a Levite since Levi would not be born until many years later. There were some who came and brought their tithes to Elisha (II Kings 4:42).

6) Giving offerings has replaced tithing, and you only need to give what you feel is appropriate for your situation.

“Proportional giving” is a concept that is impossible for Christians to fulfill. We can never give back to the Lord in proportion to how he as blessed us. If we gave everything we had, we would still fall far short.

In addition, offerings were not a New Testament creation designed to replace tithing as some would want you to believe. In fact, the giving of offerings was taught in the Old Testament in addition to paying your tithes. The children of Israel were required to bring an offering when they came up to the Temple three times a year (II Chron. 8:13). Giving offerings is not to be in place of your tithes, but in addition to it. The Israelites had robbed God of “tithes and offerings” (Mal. 3:cool. If they were one and the same, this passage would not make sense.
Re: A Question For Tithe Payers by KunleOshob(m): 1:48pm On May 21, 2009
initiate:

Scripture records several ceremonial obligations, such as the law of animal sacrifices, which are no longer binding upon the New Testament church (Heb. 9:8–10). These were types that were fulfilled by Christ at his first advent. However, tithing was instituted for a specific purpose and not as a type. The Apostle Paul presented no argument against tithes as he did repeatedly against the ceremonial issues of the law (ex. meats, holy days, new moon feasts, Sabbath days, circumcision, etc.). Jesus himself even commended people for tithing (Matt. 23:23). There are many scriptures in the New Testament showing where the ceremonial law of God was fulfilled and no longer applicable to the church, but there is no scripture stating that tithing in no longer necessary.

T

The above quoted is a very poor lie as there is scriptural evidence that Apostle Paul condenmed tithing and described it as a weak and useless commandemnt in hebrews 7

Hebrews 7:5-19:

5And verily they that are of the sons of Levi, who receive the office of the priesthood, have a[b] commandment to take tithes[/b] of the people according to the law, that is, of their brethren, though they come out of the loins of Abraham:

6But he whose descent is not counted from them received tithes of Abraham, and blessed him that had the promises.

7And without all contradiction the less is blessed of the better.

8And here men that die receive tithes; but there he receiveth them, of whom it is witnessed that he liveth.

9And as I may so say, Levi also, who receiveth tithes, payed tithes in Abraham.

10For he was yet in the loins of his father, when Melchisedec met him.

11If therefore perfection were by the Levitical priesthood, (for under it the people received the law,) what further need was there that another priest should rise after the order of Melchisedec, and not be called after the order of Aaron?

12For the priesthood being changed, there is made of necessity a change also of the law.

13For he of whom these things are spoken pertaineth to another tribe, of which no man gave attendance at the altar.

14For it is evident that our Lord sprang out of Juda; of which tribe Moses spake nothing concerning priesthood.

15And it is yet far more evident: for that after the similitude of Melchisedec there ariseth another priest,

16Who is made, not after the law of a carnal commandment, but after the power of an endless life.

17For he testifieth, Thou art a priest for ever after the order of Melchisedec.

18[b]For there is verily a disannulling of the commandment going before for the weakness and unprofitableness thereof.
[/b]
19For the law made nothing perfect, but the bringing in of a better hope did; by the which we draw nigh unto God.

I would also like you to clap for your self as i have observed that you are quite adept at quoting the bible out of context. But let me ask you one simple question, how does the bible define tithes?? Please quote scripture to back your claim.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Adeboye - Same-Sex Marriage Against God’s Will / 'Thank You Lord' By Paul Enenche: Glory Dome Docu-Music Video / What's The Right Way To Dispose Of Worn Out Bible In The Home?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 225
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.