Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,458 members, 7,816,077 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:40 AM

A Question For Tithe Payers - Religion (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / A Question For Tithe Payers (18301 Views)

If A Thieve Steals The Money I Had Packaged For Tithe, Do I Still Pay Tithe From / Uncomfortable Questions For Tithe Preachers / A Question For Tithe Payers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Question For Tithe Payers by Image123(m): 10:29am On Mar 10, 2009
@ttalks,sirjohn and co.
Well,it seems my explanations were clear. I want to believe that you are at least gaining something.I’m hoping you’ll not come up with excuses that tithes are not paid in a particular way such as Deuteronomy 14 again. One problem with most anti tithe people is that they are ever learning and yet,never able to come to the knowledge of the truth. I’m hoping for a change though.Because many times,you discuss with these people and they say tithes are for levites,and then you explain about how others collected tithe before levi,and they go on to another excuse like tithes should be old covenant and then you explain,and they go on to tithe should be eaten by you,and then you explain,and they go on to something else,and you explain.Then to your surprise,they come back with one of the things that had been earlier explained clearly as if you’ve never mentioned it. It’s a useless circle. Lets learn and grow,not just argue without purpose,or just to win argument. We’re not in the law court.
Here,you’re talking about tithe being redundant because it was written in the old testament.The clear understanding you need to have is the exact law that we’re no more obliged to keep.You can’t just dismiss anything/everything simply because it is written in the old testament.It will be I say IMPOSSIBLE to practice Christianity that way.Firstly,its just difficult and impossible for me to delete the Words of Christ in Matthew23:23 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.
I’m asking,if tithe is part of the law that should be done away with,Are we to do away with the weightier matters of the law which Jesus listed,like judgement,mercy and faith? You people keep on ringing tithe is law,tithe is old testament,old testament does not apply.I’m asking,are the passages below irrelevant to us,new testament Christians?
Deuteronomy 8:3 And he humbled thee, and suffered thee to hunger, and fed thee with manna, which thou knewest not, neither did thy fathers know; that he might make thee know that man doth not live by bread only, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of the LORD doth man live.
Deut 13:4 Ye shall walk after the LORD your God, and fear him, and keep his commandments, and obey his voice, and ye shall serve him, and cleave unto him.
Matthew 4:7 Jesus said unto him, It is written again, Thou shalt not tempt the Lord thy God.

Some have said Matthew 23v23 is during old covenant.How do we now know which words of Jesus are to be taken serious?Are we to throw away all the chapters in the gospels before His resurrection?where exactly are we supposed to start reading from.
The apostles of Christ and the early Christians quoted,read and obeyed the scriptures.Paul the apostle came with offerings to the temple.
Act 24:17 Now after many years I came to bring alms to my nation, and offerings.
Act 24:18 Whereupon certain Jews from Asia found me purified in the temple, neither with multitude, nor with tumult.
There’s talk about fulfilling the law by love.Its baffling then that you think you’re doing good service by forcing people not to give.
Romans 13:8 Owe no man any thing, but to love one another: for he that loveth another hath fulfilled the law.
Every true Christian should encourage giving,whatever form it takes.Tithe,offering,cash,kind whatever.
2Corinthians 9:6 But this I say, He which soweth sparingly shall reap also sparingly; and he which soweth bountifully shall reap also bountifully.
Re: A Question For Tithe Payers by SirJohn(m): 10:32am On Mar 10, 2009
@all,
I appreciate your inputs so far on this thread, especially those of KunleOshob, Image123 and ttalks. I want to believe that so many Christians have been enlightened by the expose of Gods word on this thread and several others. It is my desire to see Christians losed from the grip of pulpit pimps masquerading as men of God.
I advise Christians to study Gods word for themselves without the bias of previously gained knowledge.
Re: A Question For Tithe Payers by Image123(m): 11:45am On Mar 10, 2009
Galatians 5:1-4
(1) Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage.
(2) Behold, I Paul say unto you, that if ye be circumcised, Christ shall profit you nothing.
(3) For I testify again to every man that is circumcised, that he is a debtor to do the whole law.
(4) Christ is become of no effect unto you, whosoever of you are justified by the law; ye are fallen from grace.
It is very clear from this passage immediately above that carrying out a requirement of the law as a Christian such as circumcision;or in this case,tithing,makes one a debtor to do the whole law(everything in it;which we know u tithe payers aren't doing) and this makes such a person to fall or be cut off from the grace of God.

This is the basis of our argument.
Tithes are of the law.Christians are not under the law.

Tithing does not justify us.No form of giving does.We do not pay tithes because we want to be justified.We are already justified.We pay tithes because we know that we are not our own but belong to God,thats why we give tithe and mor than tithes to God in church.Some of the galatians thought their salvation was incomplete without circumcision,thats why they were warned .Salvation is in Christ Jesus,not by keeping the law.
Re: A Question For Tithe Payers by SirJohn(m): 11:50am On Mar 10, 2009
Image123:

Tithing does not justify us.No form of giving does.We do not pay tithes because we want to be justified.We are already justified.We pay tithes because we know that we are not our own but belong to God,thats why we give tithe and mor than tithes to God in church.Some of the galatians thought their salvation was incomplete without circumcision,thats why they were warned .Salvation is in Christ Jesus,not by keeping the law.

I equally know that I belong to God, tithing does not have to remind me of that
Re: A Question For Tithe Payers by Ovamboland(m): 12:01pm On Mar 10, 2009
Image123,

That verse you highlighted is for Christians who comply with the law as stated in Malachi 3:8-10. They attempt to be justified by 'tithing' so that it will be well with them smiley
Re: A Question For Tithe Payers by ttalks(m): 1:59pm On Mar 10, 2009
@Image123,

As proven earlier,Tithing is of the law.
Circumcision is also of the law.
As they are both of the law,they were necessary for justification.
Anything required of the law was necessary for justification.

You said salvation is not of the law or by doing the things of the law.
If you know u have been justified through Christ,then u have no business practicing a requirement of the law.
Tithing is a requirement of the law and should not be practiced by a Christian.The reason u gave for tithing has no scriptural basis to back it.

You mentioned the other parts of the law mentioned by Christ in Matthew 23:23;justice,mercy,etc.
All those were embedded within various requirements in the law and definitely had their ways/methods of being carried out.The new covenant has it's own version of these things.

Let me put it this way:
The old covenant is like an old version of an application or certification.It had it's own patterns and steps for handling.
But with the introduction of the new covenant;which is an upgraded and better version,the old version has been discontinued.Definitely,the upgrade would have some similar requirements that were included in the old,but they definitely would have been upgraded beyond what existed before.And also,some procedures or steps would have been dropped and new/novel ones included.
Eg. Loving ur neighbour as urself instead of trying to accomplish the different and individual aspects of the 10 commandments or the other parts of the law.
That simply means that if u are using the upgraded version,u cannot apply the pattern of the old and discontinued version to achieve the aim it was acquired for.

The new version/new covenant has it's procedures for everything.You are simply required to apply those procedures within it to achieve the purpose for it's acquisition.
Re: A Question For Tithe Payers by o9999: 5:04pm On Mar 10, 2009
@image123, how do i give a tenth of kindness (like hugs, kisses or services rendered to me) to the pastors (since tithes are to be given to the pastors)?
Again, wot if i attend church A, can I give my tithe to church C[/b]is it wrong? if yes, what is wrong with it?
Who did Jacob give his tithes directly to?
From what i gather, tithes were given in the days of old because the [b]receptiants kept no land or flock to themselves
therefore needed to be taken care of. Is that still the same now?
Please when or how did the apostles practice tithing?
In the new testaments, the apostles gathered all that was brought to the church &with the poor and needy, THEY all shared. (was that tithe?)

If understand Kunle well, he has a problem with the push by alot of pastors on tithing and "almost raining curses" on those who do not, if the ways of the old are to be followed, it should be followed to the later, like sabath day,

Y are they not hammering on that and there was no where that Jesus abolished it neither did the disciplines do same so y the issue on money and not on other things,

I would like all tithers to please answer the questions i have as i really have problem with them,

Finally, if only ALL our Pastors will preach and ACT more on love and apprecciating God instead of money,

If i am a church sweeper working for God (practically free of charge), and i am wayyyyy poorer than my pastor, then he should give me tithe because i am doing God's work and have no money, or what do you think?
Re: A Question For Tithe Payers by KunleOshob(m): 5:24pm On Mar 10, 2009
o9999:

If i am a church sweeper working for God (practically free of charge), and i am wayyyyy poorer than my pastor, then he should give me tithe because i am doing God's work and have no money, or what do you think?

GBAM grin
Re: A Question For Tithe Payers by KunleOshob(m): 5:27pm On Mar 10, 2009
1 Peter 5:2-3:
2 Care for the flock that God has entrusted to you. [/b]Watch over it willingly, not grudgingly—[b]not for what you will get out of it, but because you are eager to serve God. 3 Don’t lord it over the people assigned to your care, but lead them by your own good example.

Are our tithe collecting pastors living by example?? Are they taking care of the flock or is it the flock that is taking care of them 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Passage 2 Peter 2:1-3:

The Danger of False Teachers

1 But there were also false prophets in Israel, just as there will be false teachers among you. They will cleverly teach destructive heresies and even deny the Master who bought them. In this way, they will bring sudden destruction on themselves. 2 Many will follow their evil teaching and shameful immorality. And because of these teachers, the way of truth will be slandered. 3 In their greed they will make up clever lies to get hold of your money. But God condemned them long ago, and their destruction will not be delayed.

Tithes is a very good example of clever lies being spoken of above, other clever lies are first fruits, seed sowing, thanksgiving offerings e.t.c
Re: A Question For Tithe Payers by emiemi(f): 5:50pm On Mar 10, 2009
This thread has affirmed some of my hearts questions and delibrations. It's good to know people are thinking like me. Thank u all.
My little contribution will be that every man give as he purposes in his heart as admonished by the bible (but then sometimes you are coaxed into giving more (not less) by the way the preacher will say it in church or some religious gathering. More emphasis should be laid on people having personal time with God than coming to church to give tithes and offerings. Pastors have turned to mini gods for some and the fear of the pastor's words is the beginning of wisdom for such peeps. I pray God will open the eyes of our understanding.

There is no need of temples, neither need of complicated religious philosophy. My brain and my heart are my temples; my philosophy is kindness , Dalai Lama
Re: A Question For Tithe Payers by stanloski(m): 10:13am On Mar 11, 2009
My comment on this is quite simple
Tithing is the most efficient money making scheme ever devised in modern times. These guys collect 10% of everything! The almighty federal govt only takes 5% vat, these"men of God" racket is so sweet even the sicilian mafia will go green with envy. One other question is:WHAT HAPPENS TO ALL THE MONEY? This is what happens- designer suits, permed hair, lovely rolex wrist watches and mind boggling luxury homes. There are showers of prosperity but its for the tihtee (pastor, sorry business man) and not the tither (poor sods who have been conned into eagerly handing over their cash)

CLOSE THIS THREAD BROTHERS THESE SHEEP WILL CONTINUE TO BE FLEECED AND MILKED BY SMART TAX COLLECTORS
Re: A Question For Tithe Payers by SirJohn(m): 10:25am On Mar 11, 2009
stanloski:

My comment on this is quite simple
Tithing is the most efficient money making scheme ever devised in modern times. These guys collect 10% of everything! The almighty federal govt only takes 5% vat, these"men of God" racket is so sweet even the sicilian mafia will go green with envy. One other question is:WHAT HAPPENS TO ALL THE MONEY? This is what happens- designer suits, permed hair, lovely rolex wrist watches and mind boggling luxury homes. There are showers of prosperity but its for the tihtee (pastor, sorry business man) and not the tither (poor sods who have been conned into eagerly handing over their cash)

CLOSE THIS THREAD BROTHERS THESE SHEEP WILL CONTINUE TO BE FLEECED AND MILKED BY SMART TAX COLLECTORS

grin grin grin grin grin
Re: A Question For Tithe Payers by publicview: 11:26am On Mar 11, 2009
Tithe or tenth parts is never a christain obligation,because Christ is the end of the law (Rom 10 vs 4) Jesus Christ never collected or tend to exact any from his apostles or disciples. There is no way Jesus could do so because the tribe he springs from (Judah) was never entitled to collect tithes from fellow Isrealites.(I dont know of any present electric pastors who can trace his tribalship to the levitical priesthood) or any existence of levitical priesthood.

Why It was ONLY the tribe of Levi who are entitled to be given such as a support for their priestly duties(SEE Numbers18vss 29-21 and Chapter 18vs26, Compare Hebrew 7 vs 9. The tenth part contribution was quite different from other contribution each Isrealite should make towards the support of their worship, See Numbers 1 vss1-88.

TODAY's present day propaganda by so called men of god is to the bones well crafted thievery and cold deceit. Let them go ahead to float their Universities, Airlines,even owning some State governments, What shall it benefit a man or woman to gain the whole world and lose his SOUL.
Re: A Question For Tithe Payers by Image123(m): 12:12pm On Mar 11, 2009
@ttalks and co
Its unfortunate to have false preachers in or midst and churches,but they should in no way stop us from doing good.We do not obey God because pastors are holy or unholy.Whether pastors are holy,we pay tithes and even when they are not holy,we still do the commandments of God.Two wrongs do not make a right.If you're not satisfied with your pastors,why don't you meet him and discuss,and more importantly interceed earnestly for him.Or just move to a church where they are pleasing God and doing His will?
I've tried reading through all the posts made after my previous post.It seems the major query or focus of attention of the antitithe people now is that tithe is of the law and we are no more under the law. I've made reference to that before by quoting the words of Jesus in Matthew 23v23
Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted[b] the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith[/b]: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.
I have asked and I ask. Since we are no more under the law,are we to do away with mercy,faith,judgement,the weightier matters of the law? I mean,we should have the woes that belong to hypocrites if we do away with tithes(a light thing/part in the law) and hold on to the weightier parts of the law like faith and mercy.
Re: A Question For Tithe Payers by 4real(m): 12:29pm On Mar 11, 2009
men i have read over and over again this topic and men it's great but this is my own way of  thinking about it most of you guys are wrong and most of you are right, you just really need to study to understand things and to be honest with you guys tithes is one of the most talked about stuff in the bible and if you don't study men you will screw up,
first i will like to start this way the bible is not GOD'S word pls hold on and follow me am going somewhere the bible is not GOD's word but it contains GOD's word what am trying to say is that not everything in the bible is GOD'd word or opion paul had his own say and wat he believed should be right(not getting married) so also some other we really need to know which is which to understand some things in the bible
First not everything in the old testament is under the law Abraham was not born or alive during the time of the law he had long since died before the law came into effect but Abraham tithed (Genesis 14:18) but also remember that it was also under the law too (numbers 18 21-30) and also Christ mentioned it in (Matthew 23:23-24) and not to forget God also mentioned it in (Malachi 3:10-12) so where do we go from here as we have tithes mentioned before the law during the law and after the law and we know Christ came not to destroy the law but to make bring it to life
you see In His relationship with Israel, God intended the tithe to be an avenue to blessing.  The religious manipulators of Jesus’ day turned the blessing into burden. which was what was done in the days of Jesus and it is still been done today Effective ministry requires money—money that comes from God’s people.  Believers need to give—both for their own sake and the sake of the Kingdom.  Since they need to give, the need to preach about giving is there .  When the pastors do, however, we must be careful not to turn blessing into burden.  they must refuse to preach “tithing as legalism.”  so then what do they preach it as Tithing as worship as practiced by Father Abraham cause that was the first to be recorded in the bible it's a way of saying we acknowledge that God is both our superior (the Sovereign Lord) and the source of all blessing. "worship tithing"does more than acknowledge God.  It expresses our personal allegiance to Him.  We see this in Genesis 28:10-22.  Here, God reveals himself to Jacob in a dream.  In response, the patriarch vows, “the Lord shall be my God…and of all that you give me I will give a full tenth to you.”   For Jacob, the “tithe as worship” became a natural expression of his decision to follow the God of His Fathers.  In the same way, the “tithe as worship” becomes an almost instinctive way for us to express our allegiance to the God of our Salvation.  A  critical element of “tithing as worship” is thanksgiving.  “Tithing as worship” expresses overflowing gratitude towards God.  It breaks free from guilt as the motivation for giving.  Its ultimate focus is the condition of one’s heart so how then do we view tithe first that is we acknowledge that “tithing as legalism” is just plain sin—both for those who practice it and those who preach it.  Only the principle of “tithing as worship” remains.  That’s the tithing we can preach!  “Tithing as worship” is our opportunity to acknowledge that God is God.  He is ruler over our lives.  He is the source of every blessing we enjoy.  More than that, “tithing as worship” expresses our allegiance to God in a very personal and concrete way.  And finally, “tithing as worship” manifests a heart overflowing with thanksgiving towards God. and also tithing as a covenant of worship
Malachi 3:10-12
10 Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the LORD of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it.
11 And I will rebuke the devourer for your sakes, and he shall not destroy the fruits of your ground; neither shall your vine cast her fruit before the time in the field, saith the LORD of hosts.
12 And all nations shall call you blessed: for ye shall be a delightsome land, saith the LORD of hosts.
When you tithe he has said what he will do so it's up to you to either believe him or not he has said in his word not a grain of his word will fall to the ground until it has done what it has been sent to do i tithe and i tithe as a way of worship and if you believe it or not all he said in Malachi is coming to past in my life. so it's your choice what you want to do
Re: A Question For Tithe Payers by Ovamboland(m): 12:31pm On Mar 11, 2009
Image123:

@ttalks and co
Its unfortunate to have false preachers in or midst and churches,but they should in no way stop us from doing good.We do not obey God because pastors are holy or unholy.Whether pastors are holy,we pay tithes and even when they are not holy,we still do the commandments of God.Two wrongs do not make a right.If you're not satisfied with your pastors,why don't you meet him and discuss,and more importantly interceed earnestly for him.Or just move to a church where they are pleasing God and doing His will?

The issue is not just about misuse of the the tithe funds but the bigger issue is that God no longer requires or commands tithes from believers contrary to what a lot of our pastors preach from the pulpit. Only true free-will giving, not of necessecity or compulsion.

Image123:

@ttalks and co
I've tried reading through all the posts made after my previous post.It seems the major query or focus of attention of the antitithe people now is that tithe is of the law and we are no more under the law. I've made reference to that before by quoting the words of Jesus in Matthew 23v23
Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted[b] the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith[/b]: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.
I have asked and I ask. Since we are no more under the law,are we to do away with mercy,faith,judgement,the weightier matters of the law? I mean,we should have the woes that belong to hypocrites if we do away with tithes(a light thing/part in the law) and hold on to the weightier parts of the law like faith and mercy.

Justice, mercy also exist in societies that have nothing to do with the 'law', it is not an exclusive attribute of Jews and Christians alone. What Jesus meant there is that the main purpose of the entire law is to foster justice, mercy, etc. but Perverts(Pharisees) have emphasised an enviable system (tithing) for show-offs and selfish ends. Hope you understand. The verse is not meant to rest a doctrine on but to show hypocrisy of the Pharisee.
Re: A Question For Tithe Payers by SirJohn(m): 12:32pm On Mar 11, 2009
@Image123,
If you will not do away with tithing, then you are under obligation to keep the whole law. You of all people know that the process of transition from the old to the new covenant resulted in the dropping of several physical rites such as sacrifices, washings, sprinkling, sabbaths and tithing. A perfect explanation can be seen from what ttalks described using computer software upgrade (thats if you understand it)
Re: A Question For Tithe Payers by SirJohn(m): 12:44pm On Mar 11, 2009
@4real,
I doubt if you have been following this thread
Re: A Question For Tithe Payers by lipshell(f): 1:14pm On Mar 11, 2009
kunle, in the days of old food and bullocks were accepted as tithe becos that (farming and fishing)was mostly the hand work of the people then.nowadays we are coporate and so when the bible malachi 3:10-says bring all ur tithes into d storehouses its means one tenth of your gross earning.he that has ears let him hear.
Re: A Question For Tithe Payers by KunleOshob(m): 1:54pm On Mar 11, 2009
lipshell:

kunle, in the days of old food and bullocks were accepted as tithe becos that (farming and fishing)was mostly the hand work of the people then.nowadays we are coporate and so when the bible malachi 3:10-says bring all ur tithes into d storehouses its means one tenth of your gross earning.he that has ears let him hear.
You have just repeated the lie often told by the pulpit to justify the collection of tithes in monetary form. For your information money was widely in circulation at the time the tithe law was passed, but money was never a tithable item cos tithe was food meant to be eaten in the house of God to assit your understanding please read and meditate over deut 14:22-29 which says:

Deuteronomy 14:22-29:

The Giving of Tithes

22 “You must set aside a tithe of your crops—one-tenth of all the crops you harvest each year. 23 Bring this tithe to the designated place of worship—the place the Lord your God chooses for his name to be honored—and eat it there in his presence. This applies to your tithes of grain, new wine, olive oil, and the firstborn males of your flocks and herds. Doing this will teach you always to fear the Lord your God.

24 “Now when the Lord your God blesses you with a good harvest, the place of worship he chooses for his name to be honored might be too far for you to bring the tithe. 25 If so, you may sell the tithe portion of your crops and herds, put the money in a pouch, and go to the place the Lord your God has chosen. 26 When you arrive, you may use the money to buy any kind of food you want—cattle, sheep, goats, wine, or other alcoholic drink. Then feast there in the presence of the Lord your God and celebrate with your household. 27 And do not neglect the Levites in your town, for they will receive no allotment of land among you.

28 “At the end of every third year, bring the entire tithe of that year’s harvest and store it in the nearest town. 29 Give it to the Levites, who will receive no allotment of land among you, as well as to the foreigners living among you, the orphans, and the widows in your towns, so they can eat and be satisfied. Then the Lord your God will bless you in all your work

As you can see from the above highlighted even though money was mentioned it was never used directly as tithes. And the instruction was to eat the tithes in the house of God with one's family. the tither was also reminded to give to the poor, needy and levites. Hence tithes is not the exclusive preserve of the levites/church as pastors tend to deceive us with malachi 3:8-10 which fails to define tithes properly
Re: A Question For Tithe Payers by KunleOshob(m): 2:06pm On Mar 11, 2009
@lipshell
Besides hebrew 7 makes it crystal clear that the commandment of tithing as been anulled and it is not applicable to christians i would post the relevant verses below but i advise you go and read the whole chapter and digest it.

Hebrews 7:5:

5And verily they that are of the sons of Levi, who receive the office of the priesthood, have a commandment to take tithes of the people according to the law, that is, of their brethren, though they come out of the loins of Abraham:

Hebrews 7:11-12:

11If therefore perfection were by the Levitical priesthood, (for under it the people received the law,) what further need was there that another priest should rise after the order of Melchisedec, and not be called after the order of Aaron?

12For the priesthood being changed, there is made of necessity a change also of the law.

Hebrews 7:18:

18For there is verily a disannulling of the commandment going before for the weakness and unprofitableness thereof.
Re: A Question For Tithe Payers by tobz(f): 10:33pm On Mar 11, 2009
i find this post very suprising and vry amusing. The bible says pay your tithe, bring ten percent of your earning to the altar of the lord and of course pastors use this to their advantage. alot of passages in the bible has been manipulated by different pastors to suit their purpose but this doesnt mean that we have to disobey wht the lord has written in his scriptures. The fact that we have corupt pastors doesnt mean that we have to stop going to church or worshipping God.Basically i believe that everyman shl do whteva is on his mind, but shld remember that everyone will answer to his maker one day, so if you feel that becos of some quack pastor, u cant pay your tithe, no wahala, but to me its no xcuse.
Re: A Question For Tithe Payers by MrCrackles(m): 10:35pm On Mar 11, 2009
tobz:

i find this post very suprising and vry amusing. The bible says pay your tithe, bring ten percent of your earning to the altar of the lord and of course pastors use this to their advantage. alot of passages in the bible has been manipulated by different pastors to suit their purpose but this doesnt mean that we have to disobey wht the lord has written in his scriptures. The fact that we have corupt pastors doesnt mean that we have to stop going to church or worshipping God.Basically i believe that everyman shl do whteva is on his mind, but shld remember that everyone will answer to his maker one day, so if you feel that becos of some quack pastor, u cant pay your tithe, no wahala, but to me its no xcuse.

Shut the fuc.k up my friend, tithe is not compulsory!
Re: A Question For Tithe Payers by obatoro: 10:56pm On Mar 11, 2009
@4real
4real:

men i have read over and over again this topic and men it's great but this is my own way of  thinking about it most of you guys are wrong and most of you are right, you just really need to study to understand things and to be honest with you guys tithes is one of the most talked about stuff in the bible and if you don't study men you will screw up,
first i will like to start this way[b] the bible is not GOD'S word[/b] pls hold on and follow me am going somewhere the bible is not GOD's word but it contains GOD's word what am trying to say is that not everything in the bible is GOD'd word or opion paul had his own say and wat he believed should be right(not getting married) so also some other we really need to know which is which to understand some things in the bible
First not everything in the old testament is under the law Abraham was not born or alive during the time of the law he had long since died before the law came into effect but[b] Abraham tithed[/b] (Genesis 14:18) but also remember that it was also under the law too (numbers 18 21-30) and also Christ mentioned it in (Matthew 23:23-24) and not to forget God also mentioned it in (Malachi 3:10-12) so where do we go from here as we have tithes mentioned before the law during the law and after the law and we know Christ came not to destroy the law but to make bring it to life
you see In His relationship with Israel, God intended the tithe to be an avenue to blessing.  The religious manipulators of Jesus’ day turned the blessing into burden. which was what was done in the days of Jesus and it is still been done today Effective ministry requires money—money that comes from God’s people.  Believers need to give—both for their own sake and the sake of the Kingdom.  Since they need to give, the need to preach about giving is there .  When the pastors do, however, we must be careful not to turn blessing into burden.  they must refuse to preach “tithing as legalism.”  so then what do they preach it as Tithing as worship as practiced by Father Abraham cause that was the first to be recorded in the bible it's a way of saying we acknowledge that God is both our superior (the Sovereign Lord) and the source of all blessing. "worship tithing"does more than acknowledge God.  It expresses our personal allegiance to Him.  We see this in Genesis 28:10-22.  Here, God reveals himself to Jacob in a dream.  In response, the patriarch vows, “the Lord shall be my God…and of all that you give me I will give a full tenth to you.”   For Jacob, the “tithe as worship” became a natural expression of his decision to follow the God of His Fathers.

So the bible is not God's word it only contained God's word? Funny!
Abraham died before the law and he gave tithe. Have you not read that he gave a tithe of the spoil after the slaughter of the kings , and he did not carry the remaining for himself?!
Please read for yourself.
Gen 14:20-24

20 And blessed be the most high God, which hath delivered thine enemies into thy hand. And he gave him tithes of all .

21 And the king of Sodom said unto Abram, Give me the persons, and take the goods to thyself.

22 And Abram said to the king of Sodom, I have lift up mine hand unto the LORD, the most high God, the possessor of heaven and earth,

23 That I will not take from a thread even to a shoelatchet, and that I will not take any thing that is thine, lest thou shouldest say, I have made Abram rich:

24 Save only that which the young men have eaten, and the portion of the men which went with me, Aner, Eshcol, and Mamre; let them take their portion.
KJV

So it was not the tithe of his possession or income.
And it was not documented that he was practising it.

Gen 28:20-22

20 And Jacob vowed a vow, saying, If God will be with me, and will keep me in this way that I go, and will give me bread to eat, and raiment to put on,

21 So that I come again to my father's house in peace; then shall the LORD be my God:

22 And this stone, which I have set for a pillar, shall be God's house: and of all that thou shalt give me I will surely give the tenth unto thee.
KJV

Jacob's payment of tithe was a vow (conditional and a personal decision , not compulsion). And it was never mentioned that he gave tithe again. Even when he got some sheep from Laban he didn't give any as tithe.

Indeed tithe was mentioned before, during and after the law. Tithe is one tenth just the way dozen is twelve. dozen is mention also before, during and after the law. The twelve sons of Jacob, before the law. The twelve tribes of Israel during the law, and the twelve disciples after the law.

So if tithe is worship and songs of adoration is also worship, then i choose songs! grin grin
Re: A Question For Tithe Payers by obatoro: 11:07pm On Mar 11, 2009
@tobz
tobz:

Where did the bile say that, and where is the altar?
You better take time to study your bible very well.
Re: A Question For Tithe Payers by obatoro: 11:14pm On Mar 11, 2009
you wanna give tithe ? pay it! and you better keep your mouth shut about it cos it's not compulsory!
my Akon, sorry 50cents oh no 2cents! grin grin grin
Re: A Question For Tithe Payers by PastorAIO: 12:41am On Mar 12, 2009
obatoro:

@4real
[b]So the bible is not God's word it only contained God's word? Funny!
[/b]Abraham died before the law and he gave tithe. Have you not read that he gave a tithe of the spoil after the slaughter of the kings , and he did not carry the remaining for himself?!
Please read for yourself.
Gen 14:20-24

20 And blessed be the most high God, which hath delivered thine enemies into thy hand. And he gave him tithes of all .

21 And the king of Sodom said unto Abram, Give me the persons, and take the goods to thyself.

22 And Abram said to the king of Sodom, I have lift up mine hand unto the LORD, the most high God, the possessor of heaven and earth,

23 That I will not take from a thread even to a shoelatchet, and that I will not take any thing that is thine, lest thou shouldest say, I have made Abram rich:

24 Save only that which the young men have eaten, and the portion of the men which went with me, Aner, Eshcol, and Mamre; let them take their portion.
KJV

So it was not the tithe of his possession or income.
And it was not documented that he was practising it.

Gen 28:20-22

20 And Jacob vowed a vow, saying, If God will be with me, and will keep me in this way that I go, and will give me bread to eat, and raiment to put on,

21 So that I come again to my father's house in peace; then shall the LORD be my God:

22 And this stone, which I have set for a pillar, shall be God's house: and of all that thou shalt give me I will surely give the tenth unto thee.
KJV

Jacob's payment of tithe was a vow (conditional and a personal decision , not compulsion). And it was never mentioned that he gave tithe again. Even when he got some sheep from Laban he didn't give any as tithe.

Indeed tithe was mentioned before, during and after the law. Tithe is one tenth just the way dozen is twelve. dozen is mention also before, during and after the law. The twelve sons of Jacob, before the law. The twelve tribes of Israel during the law, and the twelve disciples after the law.

Sir, you have spoken well on tithes.

The only thing I want to add . . . I want to back up 4real where he says that the bible in it's entirety is not the word of God but it only contains the word of God. He made reference to St. Paul on marriage where I think you will find the most explicit case of man's own opinion. The chapter and verse he was referring to was 1Corinthians chapter 7.
Now concerning the things whereof ye wrote unto me It is good for a man not to touch a woman
This is in direct contradiction to God's own command that we should go forth and procreate. And that He made us two, Man and Woman. In the 12th verse he goes on to state explicitly that what follows is not from God but his own opinion.
He even later contradicts his position on marriage in 1Timothy 4:3.
Forbidding to marry and commanding to abstain from meats which God hath created to be received with thanksgiving of them which believe and know the truth

Obviously what he is saying in corinthians is not a command not to marry but rather a personal advice from his own human perspective on the matter. This is in the bible, he states explicitly that it is not from God, therefore, the entire bible is not the word of God.
Re: A Question For Tithe Payers by obatoro: 9:24am On Mar 12, 2009
@Pastor AIO
[b]The only thing I want to add . . . I want to back up 4real where he says that the bible in it's entirety is not the word of God but it only contains the word of God. He made reference to St. Paul on marriage where I think you will find the most explicit case of man's own opinion. The chapter and verse he was referring to was 1Corinthians chapter 7.

Now concerning the things whereof ye wrote unto me It is good for a man not to touch a woman

This is in direct contradiction to God's own command that we should go forth and procreate. And that He made us two, Man and Woman. In the 12th verse he goes on to state explicitly that what follows is not from God but his own opinion.
He even later contradicts his position on marriage in 1Timothy 4:3.

Forbidding to marry and commanding to abstain from meats which God hath created to be received with thanksgiving of them which believe and know the truth

Obviously what he is saying in corinthians is not a command not to marry but rather a personal advice from his own human perspective on the matter. This is in the bible, he states explicitly that it is not from God, therefore, the entire bible is not the word of God.
[/b]

I 100% agree with you. Paul was only sharing his own opinion which is contra to God's ordained intention of multiplication.
Keep up the good work!
Re: A Question For Tithe Payers by Bawss1(m): 9:09pm On Mar 12, 2009
Interesting thread. What has been going on here is just a glimpse of people's beliefs. It is sad that dogma sits deep with many folks. . .
Re: A Question For Tithe Payers by initiate: 11:53pm On Mar 12, 2009
ideally every one has secrets for their success and as far as i know ppl dont normally share it. the benefits from tithing is not arithmetical so stop using all these simple logic to justify it. are you able to explain how a dead seed comes back to life and produces a plant. its the law of sowing and reapin my friend.

please lets just put on the radio and enjoy the music rather than looking for how dbanj entered inside the loud speaker if you get my drift

from the foregoing the pple that pay tithe beleive in it and they have no problem paying because one they are obedient and they receive blessings from being obedient, His ways are different from our ways, remember?

the antitithe ppl should spend their time ensuring that govt provide services that they collect taxes for. fight your battles with the people you can use arguments to win

on a last note, i agree we have fake pastors and te Lord has rightly predicted this. but please stop all these blanket condemnation
Re: A Question For Tithe Payers by hubreality(m): 5:43am On Mar 13, 2009
SirJohn:

@4real,
I doubt if you have been following this thread

Does he need to follow this thread or what the scripture says.

This your bold competition with God and His word is terrible. Never will I debate or argue on this matter, but I'm so sorry for you Sirjohn and co who are in this competition with God and His word, unbelievers and mockers. grin grin grin
Re: A Question For Tithe Payers by Ovamboland(m): 8:02am On Mar 13, 2009
hubreality:

Does he need to follow this thread or what the scripture says.

This your bold competition with God and His word is terrible. Never will I debate or argue on this matter, but I'm so sorry for you Sirjohn and co who are in this competition with God and His word, unbelievers and mockers. grin grin grin

thank you for this observation Hub, please state God's word on this matter of tithing for christians to help us counter these Kunle and Sir John people cheesy angry grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Rccg Holy Ghost Congress 2013 Theme: The Overflow / Post Your Church Name And Your Position/Duty In Church / Faith Is A Race, Run Your Own

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 145
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.