Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,037 members, 7,818,062 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 06:29 AM

A Question For Tithe Payers - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / A Question For Tithe Payers (18308 Views)

If A Thieve Steals The Money I Had Packaged For Tithe, Do I Still Pay Tithe From / Uncomfortable Questions For Tithe Preachers / A Question For Tithe Payers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Question For Tithe Payers by mayrho(m): 2:52pm On Mar 05, 2009
chei people go plenty for hell oo
Re: A Question For Tithe Payers by holda: 2:52pm On Mar 05, 2009
Tithing is a commandment 4rm d God not an order. Pay it in faith and have Open Heaven.
Re: A Question For Tithe Payers by MrCrackles(m): 3:00pm On Mar 05, 2009
holda:

Tithing is a commandment 4rm d God not an order. Pay it in faith and have Open Heaven.

And what about not paying it in faith, should the person expect CLOSED HEAVEN?

All of you are bunch of jokers

Fuc.k tithes and fuc.k the pastors that embezzle and enforce it!
Re: A Question For Tithe Payers by KunleOshob(m): 3:07pm On Mar 05, 2009
Image123:

@kunleOshob

o my gawd,are you in trouble
Let me remind you our Lord Jesus Christ was killed becos he taught people against the oppressive laws of the pharisees which you hypocrites are desperately trying to resuscitate.

Image123:

Evidence my foot.False teaching is no evidence.the word of God is.Matthew23:23  Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.
Those are the Words of God.That settles it for me

even the verse you quoted here goes further to prove mordern day tithing is wrong, the pharisees were said to have tithed mint, anise and cumin all agricultural products and not shekels or silver that was in use at that time. And need i remind you tithers in the bible consumed out of their tithes with their families in the presence of God (deut14:26) they did not just hand it over to their priest. A word is enough for the wise. I leave you with this warnings from  the scriptures about clever lies that false teachers would come up with to get your money.\

2 Peter 2:1-3:
The Danger of False Teachers
  1 But there were also false prophets in Israel, j[b]ust as there will be false teachers among you.[/b] They will cleverly teach destructive heresies and even deny the Master who bought them. In this way, they will bring sudden destruction on themselves. 2 Many will follow their evil teaching and shameful immorality. And because of these teachers, the way of truth will be slandered. 3 In their greed they will make up clever lies to get hold of your money. But God condemned them long ago, and their destruction will not be delayed.

Matthew 15:8-9:

8 ‘These people honor me with their lips,
     but their hearts are far from me.
   9 Their worship is a farce,
     for they teach man-made ideas as commands from God.

A word is enough for the wise
Re: A Question For Tithe Payers by vanderjo(m): 3:40pm On Mar 05, 2009
@kunle and co.,
I was not thought by a pastor on the need to pay tithe,why have you not criticize other things that pastors do,like offerings and condemn them,why do you chose tithe?the bible cannot lie,it is God himself speaking,he said the words i speak,they are life and they are spirit,paraphrase,it will not fail to do what i sent it to do,so if it says pay your tithe and receive open heavens so it is and other promises he made?i think that is only where God asked us to put him to test,in the issue of tithe,he said you asked in what way have you rob God,and the answer was in tithes and offerings and for you to come out here to say what God said is a lie,is undermining God but you claim to uphold truth.
If you do not want to pay your tithe then shut your mouth and go into your room and stop deceiving people to follow your foot steps,moreover i haven't seen any pastor coercing his followers to pay tithe and may i remind you,you are not paying tithe to pastors but to God.
Re: A Question For Tithe Payers by ayobase(m): 3:48pm On Mar 05, 2009
the truth of the matter is this
You pay ur tithe or not,
the work of God will never suffer
any form of defficiency.

Paying of tithe as God commanded,
Gos is only giving you a chance to be
a beneficiary of somethings.

Some blessing has nothing to do with
whether one is born again or not.

Obeying ur parents,
there is a blessing attached to,
'Long Life and Prosperity."

When you dont obey your parents,
then we all know what the problem will be.

Some premature deaths could be
traced to diobeying of parents.

Another one is GIVING.
there is no way u will lack when
you are cheerful giver.
This also doesnt demand being
born again or not.

So many and many "Do this and
I will do this"

The tithe issue is not an exception
it is not a must to pay your tithe,
[color=#000099]but want you to remember that not
paying of one's tithe means one
has stolen what belong to god

we should then remember that no thief
I mean no thief shall inherit the kingdom
of God.

Those that pay tithe will surely have somethings to say
about how they are being favoured in one way
or the other,

How much does it cost one's tithe.
just 10%, if not for greed.

remember what happen to an animal
when that Insulin/Pancreas bursts?
The animal will never be delicious.

Tithe is also like that, when u eat what belongs
to God, then u wouldnt enjoy the spending,

Sometimes, one would just wonder how
he spent 100K.
To give account will be as difficult as
forcing a river up the hill.

Just give what belongs to God and
stay with urs.

He never demanded for 20%, but 10%.

How do u even apprecite your God,
the giver of your life who keeps u up till date?

Do us say its just Fate or mere Coincidence.
We shall See.

U better start giving ur tithe so as to be blessed!!![/color]
Re: A Question For Tithe Payers by KunleOshob(m): 3:52pm On Mar 05, 2009
van der jo:

@kunle and co.,
I was not thought by a pastor on the need to pay tithe,why have you not criticize other things that pastors do,like offerings and condemn them,why do you chose tithe?the bible cannot lie,it is God himself speaking,he said the words i speak,they are life and they are spirit,paraphrase,it will not fail to do what i sent it to do,so if it says pay your tithe and receive open heavens so it is and other promises he made?i think that is only where God asked us to put him to test,in the issue of tithe,he said you asked in what way have you rob God,and the answer was in tithes and offerings and for you to come out here to say what God said is a lie,is undermining God but you claim to uphold truth.
If you do not want to pay your tithe then shut your mouth and go into your room and stop deceiving people to follow your foot steps,moreover i haven't seen any pastor coercing his followers to pay tithe and may i remind you,you are not paying tithe to pastors but to God.
Before i address the stupid insults in your post, can you tell exactly how the bible defines tithes?? And please note the bible never said you should pay tithes, it said "bring it" cos it was not money rather it was food meant to be eaten in God's house. I await your definition on tithes from purely biblicalsources and NOT your pastor's interpretation
Re: A Question For Tithe Payers by ilaugh1: 3:57pm On Mar 05, 2009
because you havent experienced the true effects of the passage, the true effects of tithing, it doesnt mean it does not work or that the passage is untrue, it wasnt written for you to dis prove it, it is for your own good, so, if you beleive or not, it is your own kettle of meat.
Re: A Question For Tithe Payers by nakoks(m): 4:05pm On Mar 05, 2009
I find this topic quite interesting.I think the issue of tithing is one that interests me.I believe in tithing 100%.I practice it regiously and believe that the act rebukes the devourer for my sake and i receive abundant blessings.The issue of tithing apart,giving also attracts blessings and favour.I think it is only stingy people that would have a problem giving 10% of their income to the House of GOD.
Re: A Question For Tithe Payers by tkb417(m): 4:07pm On Mar 05, 2009
If I understand your opinion correctly, the 'open heaven' of Malachi 3 does not apply only to faithful tithers nor does the 'devourer' apply only to non-faithful tithers.  We get rewarded for hard work, faithfulness and diligence and God in his mercies and sovereign will blesses us accordinly; am I correct?
amidst your campaign of calumny againts tithing, you still made some sence in some of your posts.
I think if i decide to support that part of the scripture that says we should pay tithe, then i dont think im being duped like you wrongly opined.
In fact, ill say boldy here that i dont regularly pay tithes but what i give to people monthly are usually more than what im supposed to give as tithe.

i think the whole essence is to appreciate giving to the works of God, the sick, the poor and probably the destitutes, orphas and et al
You get blessed by doing all these, living uprightly and by being hardworking also. None of these is dependent on the other.
do you best to live right, give to the poor or the church (tithe), or support charities

chikena!!!
Re: A Question For Tithe Payers by KunleOshob(m): 4:13pm On Mar 05, 2009
I think i would help you all by posting how the bible defines and explains tithes, then leave you to compare and contrast with how your church/ pastor defiines it.

Deuteronomy 14:22-26:

The Giving of Tithes
  22 “You must set aside a tithe of your crops—one-tenth of all the crops you harvest each year. 23 Bring this tithe to the designated place of worship—the place the Lord your God chooses for his name to be honored—and eat it there in his presence. This applies to your tithes of grain, new wine, olive oil, and the firstborn males of your flocks and herds. Doing this will teach you always to fear the Lord your God.

24 “Now when the Lord your God blesses you with a good harvest, the place of worship he chooses for his name to be honored might be too far for you to bring the tithe. 25 If so, you may sell the tithe portion of your crops and herds, put the money in a pouch, and go to the place the Lord your God has chosen. 26 When you arrive, you may use the money to buy any kind of food you want—cattle, sheep, goats, wine, or other alcoholic drink. Then feast there in the presence of the Lord your God and celebrate with your household.

27 And d[b]o not neglect the Levite[/b]s in your town, for they will receive no allotment of land among you.

28 “At the end of every third year, bring the entire tithe of that year’s harvest and store it in the nearest town. 29 Give it to the Levites, who will receive no allotment of land among you, as well as to the foreigners living among you, the orphans, and the widows in your towns, so they can eat and be satisfied. Then the Lord your God will bless you in all your work.

To all those of you who swear by church tithes, how does this compare with malachi 3:8-10 and your pastor's definition of tithes. Please note that malachi never defined tithes it merely said "bring your tithes" it was pastors that change the meaning and practise of tithes while keeping you in the dark about the real meaning as defined in deuteronomy.
Re: A Question For Tithe Payers by sinaayo(f): 4:19pm On Mar 05, 2009
must christain  didn't understand what will call Tithe,like me i pay my tithe every month and i see 100percent of what i pay, so d lord has been good to me up till date,
Re: A Question For Tithe Payers by allboyz(m): 4:37pm On Mar 05, 2009
Tithe MUST be paid faithfully.

the rewards will not only be enjoyed here too . . we all have our spiritual account in heaven too cheesy
Re: A Question For Tithe Payers by osisi2(f): 4:44pm On Mar 05, 2009
so these threads are still popping up?
Re: A Question For Tithe Payers by ukbruno(m): 4:47pm On Mar 05, 2009
,  Father forgive them for they know not what they do ,

REPENT AND BE SAVED
Re: A Question For Tithe Payers by webprince(m): 4:53pm On Mar 05, 2009
TITHE is necessary for those that knows the blessing associated with it
Even those that are not Christians or Religious at all never joke with their 10%, (Bill Gates, Abu Dahbis, etc)

Believe me, there is great reward from giving out ur 10% i.e. Tithe. (Speaking from experience)
Re: A Question For Tithe Payers by KunleOshob(m): 4:55pm On Mar 05, 2009
Chei see people under bondage suffering and smiling  cheesy .

Galatians 3:23-25:

God’s Children through Faith

23 Before the way of faith in Christ was available to us, we were placed under guard by the law. We were kept in prisoners, so to speak, until the way of faith was revealed.

24 Let me put it another way. The law was our guardian until Christ came; it protected us until we could be made right with God through faith. 25 And now that the way of faith has come, we no longer need the law as our guardian.

see people christ as set free struggling to remain in prison custody of the pharisees pastors. You peeps go and study the word if you need scriptures for enlightenment I would be glad to help.
Re: A Question For Tithe Payers by dipsyn: 6:01pm On Mar 05, 2009
it will be quite a pointless exercise to prove Biblical reasons y u should pay tithe even the devil knows the bible and wanted to twist it to tempt Jesus during His fast. If you feel one tenth of your earning is too big to give to God don't bother, Its when we come to God issues that we tend to be proffessors. people rather spend their money on material things and even women but question God its such a pity. Even annanahas and saphirra drop dead because they refuse to bring in the complete tithe and God as being leneint with us thru his son so we now have the priviledges to question what he meant and even insult men of God, ow I wish it was in those days he acts instateneously, we could all have being dead. Anyway the Bible as said it all U can't serve God and money
Re: A Question For Tithe Payers by tayoast(m): 6:11pm On Mar 05, 2009
Let each and everyone hold on to whatever they BELIEVE.

Its as simple as that.
Re: A Question For Tithe Payers by ayobase(m): 6:24pm On Mar 05, 2009
I rest my case here
Re: A Question For Tithe Payers by Image123(m): 6:46pm On Mar 05, 2009
@kunleOshob
even the verse you quoted here goes further to prove mordern day tithing is wrong, the pharisees were said to have tithed mint, anise and cumin all agricultural products and not shekels or silver that was in use at that time. And need i remind you tithers in the bible consumed out of their tithes with their families in the presence of God (deut14:26) they did not just hand it over to their priest. A word is enough for the wise. I leave you with this warnings from the scriptures about clever lies that false teachers would come up with to get your money.\

2 Peter 2:1-3:
The Danger of False Teachers
1 But there were also false prophets in Israel, just as there will be false teachers among you. They will cleverly teach destructive heresies and even deny the Master who bought them. In this way, they will bring sudden destruction on themselves. 2 Many will follow their evil teaching and shameful immorality. And because of these teachers, the way of truth will be slandered. 3 In their greed they will make up clever lies to get hold of your money. But God condemned them long ago, and their destruction will not be delayed.

Matthew 15:8-9:

8 ‘These people honor me with their lips,
but their hearts are far from me.
9 Their worship is a farce,
for they teach man-made ideas as commands from God.

A word is enough for the wise

What gives you the dummy dumb feeling that anybody paying tithes is suffering and under oppresion.Do I need to remind you that tithe simply means 1/10 of something and that there are various forms of tithes? The Bible warned me about seducers like you who will wax worse and worse deceiving and being deceived.Shame on you and your fellows.God called you to converrt/win people from their sins to God 's kingdom.you're about converting people from keeping God's commands.May God help you.
Re: A Question For Tithe Payers by gabe: 7:15pm On Mar 05, 2009
i think tithing should be an expression of gratitude, not a sort of 'investment' yielding returns. most people tithe out of fear, not love. and God's Son was poor and hardworking all His life, his apostles were too, in fact, the rich ones gave their wealth away.tithing doesnt protect you from the daily challenges of living, its an appreciation of the goodness of God, even if we are poor. another question, should a laborer who erns 500 a day, pay tithe to a 'God' thru a pastor who rides a private jet?
Re: A Question For Tithe Payers by SirJohn(m): 7:18pm On Mar 05, 2009
My brother in-law was recently made a bank branch manager; he quit paying tithe and firstfruits several months ago after he realized the same truth that I stand for. I bet you that if he was still a tither or that he payed firstfruits to Mr Oyakhilome early this year, he probably would have believed the promotion he got was a reward of his firstfruits or tithes.

This is exactly the case with so many of you; you've been paying tithe for so long so its easy for you to relate any good thing that happens to you to be as a result of tithing.

Someone said in his post today that if you dont give a tithe of your salary for the month, you will not be able to account for your expenditures for that month; thats a very laughable statement. The only reason that feeling may come is due to the guilt that has been planted in your mind by your pastor.

for example, Chris Oyakhilome speaking on firstfruits and tithe tells his followers that "the firstfruit belongs to God, so if you dont give it to him, He'll come and get it anyway" He went further to tell them that "Israel is Gods firstborn, when the Pharaoh would not let Gods firstborn go, God went for hes (pharaohs), so if you dont give your firstfruit, God will go for it"

Tell me if this kind of statement will not plant guilt in the heart of his followers if they disobey.

On tithing, this is what Chris says: "your tithe is your security", little wonder why some people would rather give the tithe than follow Gods word. I dare say that false hope is the major drive behind most tithers.
Re: A Question For Tithe Payers by sleekdoc: 8:30pm On Mar 05, 2009
@ Topic

I've always wanted people's views on this topic, pls i want y'all to tell me what u think:

For me i believe what the bible says about giving to the church, has nothing to do with a "church building" per se, because the church is the people in it, God's people and in God's eye, there's no redeem,no christembassy or watever, just people right?
So what i do is, i give my 10% to people who really need it, people i feel really need help, people i dont know, and i try to do it as anonymously as possible, wether its hospital bills, school fees, or whatevr i can find to do to actually touch lives,
I'll rather do this and bring joy to people's lives, rather than contribute to one pastor's private jet or expensive suits,or trips abroad E.T.C!!! angry
This is my view, iv always wanted to talk about this issue
let me know what y'all think!
Re: A Question For Tithe Payers by TmeD0(m): 10:00pm On Mar 05, 2009
SirJohn:

for example, Chris Oyakhilome speaking on firstfruits and tithe tells his followers that "the firstfruit belongs to God, so if you dont give it to him, He'll come and get it anyway" He went further to tell them that "Israel is Gods firstborn, when the Pharaoh would not let the Gods firstborn go, God went for his(pharaohs) firstborn so if you dont give your firstfruit, God will go for it"

Tell me if this kind of statement will not plant guilt in the heart of his followers if they disobey.

On tithing, this is what Chris says: "your tithe is your security", little wonder why some people would rather give the tithe than follow Gods word. I dare say that false hope is the major drive behind most tithers.

Or fear sef? It's quite obvious with these kinds of statements the dude in trying to instill fear in his congregation as well brainwash them.  Who no go fear wetin "man of God" quote from the bible.  And that's where some of the problem comes from-- people not taking the time to read the gospel (though, I have tons of questions about it but that's for a different thread) and try for once to think for themselves.  What kills me at times is the fact that some even obvious things that goes on in most of these televangelists places of worship, most of their followers still choose to ignore them and still believe every words that comes out of their mouths.  Anyway sha, olorun lo mo eni ti o n sin (na only baba God know who dey truly worship am).  Peace!
Re: A Question For Tithe Payers by liftedone(f): 11:20pm On Mar 05, 2009
sigh
Re: A Question For Tithe Payers by omobaba101(m): 11:34pm On Mar 05, 2009
I would not have said a thing over this matter, but the Scriptures still advocates that a fool is answered sometimes. For you guys that think tithing is not biblical, I would say few things:
1. It was never said that tithing is going to be the qualification for salvation, so if you choose not to tithe, those that choose to tithe should be respected for their decision.
2. You will need to explain what Matthew23:23 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone. means or maybe you move that verse to the O.T portion of your own copy of the Bible
3. Tithe is not the only thing that guarantees blessing or financial abundance, so it is possible for someone to be financially rich without giving tithe.
4. You need not use a non-Christian like Dangote to teach a lesson about the Bible, just like the American constitution is not bidding on a Nigerian residing in Nigeria - does that make enough sense to you?
5. For the distribution that was done in the church in the days of the Apostles, you also need to learn from the Bible that the people in the church brought the things for distribution and not the Apostles. So if there would be distribution in the church, it must be brought by the members of the church and not the pastors to supply it.
Re: A Question For Tithe Payers by SirJohn(m): 12:28am On Mar 06, 2009
omobaba101:

1. It was never said that tithing is going to be the qualification for salvation, so if you choose not to tithe, those that choose to tithe should be respected for their decision.

Neither was it said that I should tithe in the first place

omobaba101:

2. You will need to explain what Matthew23:23 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone. means or maybe you move that verse to the O.T portion of your own copy of the Bible

I'm sure you must not have been following most of the threads on tithing, otherwise you would'nt be asking this question. First of all, let me ask you: What do you think mint, anise and cummin are? secondly, do you think the new testament was in force at the time Jesus made that statement? or do you think that everything you see in the gospels is new testament? According to scriptures, when does a testament take force?

omobaba101:

3. Tithe is not the only thing that guarantees blessing or financial abundance, so it is possible for someone to be financially rich without giving tithe.

Thank God you know that

omobaba101:

4. You need not use a non-Christian like Dangote to teach a lesson about the Bible, just like the American constitution is not bidding on a Nigerian residing in Nigeria - does that make enough sense to you?

Just to let Christians know that God blesses hardwork, diligence and faithfulness instead of using tithe and seed sowing as a 'get-rich-quick' tonic

omobaba101:

5. For the distribution that was done in the church in the days of the Apostles, you also need to learn from the Bible that the people in the church brought the things for distribution and not the Apostles. So if there would be distribution in the church, it must be brought by the members of the church and not the pastors to supply it.

I dont think I got that
Re: A Question For Tithe Payers by REALTRUTH1: 12:53am On Mar 06, 2009
@SirJohn and KunleOshob:God bless you guys!Its only a deaf,dumb and blind person(christian or non-christian ) that would assume that many of these so called men of God are not taking advantage of the gullibility of the people.Religion they say is the opium of the people.Many of these pastors what they do is pick a biblical passage and attach it to our daily activities to exploit the people.
 Thats the morer reason a pastor would qoute the bible why he is driving the most expensive life is because in Jesus time riding on a horse or camel is expensive.Right now the vogue is buying of private jets,,Now the idea is the word of God sure and can't be broken.And its also sure and certain to note that many of these pastors are twisting the srcipture to suit what they want.Bill Gates is not a pentecostal, and am yet to see any pastor in this world that pleases God as much as this man.He was at a time the richest man in the world worth almost $60Billion.Do you guys know that he is worth less $30Billion,spending his wealth to take care of people with polio and other ailments in Nigeria,Ghana,Core D'ivoire etc.There is no tithe that is worth this!But many of these pastors have widowed women in the church,unemployed graduates,sick people without means to affordable healt care in there midst and no care is given them.
  What about the issue of sowing of seeds?seeds to take care of pastor and his children.Why is it when a pastor dies, it is either his wife or son that takes over the church?The truth is that there are many questions begging for answers.Jesus is Lord, the word of God is true but our pastors are taking advantage over the people with psychological gimmicks.
Re: A Question For Tithe Payers by Omojeje1: 5:26am On Mar 06, 2009
The end is getting close.
Re: A Question For Tithe Payers by Omojeje1: 5:31am On Mar 06, 2009
Remember the devil knows the Bible too. He will send his agents to distote the TRUTH (Mathew 24.24).
Re: A Question For Tithe Payers by kaycedwins(f): 7:55am On Mar 06, 2009
Hi everyone, so Nairaland is now an avenue for condemning Bible and Jesus Christ. If you need answers please go and study your Bible very well. How many posts have we seen condemning Islam and Quaran. Is christianity where anything goes? Let's all be rational and reasonable in whatever we do or say. Thank you. shocked

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Why Are Nigerians So Religious But Corrupt? / Faith Is A Race, Run Your Own / 34 Reasons Why The “holy Spirit” Is Not A “person” - Bible Scholars attention !

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 108
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.