Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,457 members, 7,816,070 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:18 AM

Hnd/b.sc Holders Discrimination: Irrelevant, Dangerious & Unconstitutional. - Education (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Hnd/b.sc Holders Discrimination: Irrelevant, Dangerious & Unconstitutional. (45464 Views)

The 6 Youngest PhD Holders In Nigeria (Photos) / List Of The 5 Youngest PhD Holders In Nigeria / HND & B.sc. Saga: "Grant Polytechnics The Right To Award Degrees" - ASUP (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Hnd/b.sc Holders Discrimination: Irrelevant, Dangerious & Unconstitutional. by fuchong(m): 4:46am On Jul 05, 2015
The only solution to this is HND should be scrapped completely Hahahaha
Re: Hnd/b.sc Holders Discrimination: Irrelevant, Dangerious & Unconstitutional. by KingTblaise(m): 5:06am On Jul 05, 2015
I graduated from Kadpoly, now in FUTMINNA. because of advice from a senior Lecturer....... This discrimination is not going to stop, until they work up one day and see the polytechnic's deserted. #weytin we do for diploma uptil now 300 level @futminna we never finish am...
Re: Hnd/b.sc Holders Discrimination: Irrelevant, Dangerious & Unconstitutional. by Nobody: 5:06am On Jul 05, 2015
tonytony208:
Your spelling of "dangerous" is enough to show you off as a poly student. Many of them cant speak or write simple and correct English; just like you have displayed here. Now, which polytechnic did you graduate from? Your school's standard must have been very poor! "Dangerious"? Queen Elizabeth must hear this!
Am a Uni Graduate and I have just one advice for you: Stop saying things that might demoralise others. I have seen a lot of brilliant HND holders.

2 Likes

Re: Hnd/b.sc Holders Discrimination: Irrelevant, Dangerious & Unconstitutional. by Nobody: 5:08am On Jul 05, 2015
Mznaett:
I never knew Nairalanders would be so low when it comes to matter like this.

For heaven's sake this is pure rubbish and by right giving a job out should'nt be based only on qualifications but also the ability and creativity of that person.

To be candid If this discrimination ish contnues then I think Nigerians still have a long bridge to cross before we get there
I think jobs are based on qualifications the world over. Can a bus conductor perform the duties of a medical doctor because He is creative?
Re: Hnd/b.sc Holders Discrimination: Irrelevant, Dangerious & Unconstitutional. by scofieldsimba(m): 5:11am On Jul 05, 2015
@op, its not something peculiar to the ministry lf interior.
It is a Nigeria problem where we lay more emphasis on certificate rather than skills.
I bet u,as far as civil service/public service is concern in nigeria,stuffs like this always rears its head.
Even the major oil companies are not left out.
But I must confess that most nigerians are also conscious of this and thus informs the craze for continuous accumulation of certificates without skills.
Re: Hnd/b.sc Holders Discrimination: Irrelevant, Dangerious & Unconstitutional. by anigbajumo(m): 5:18am On Jul 05, 2015
GODAKPAN:

ARE YOU AN ENGR(NSE)CERTIFIED OR COREN ENGR CERTIFIED. WHAT WAS YOUR JAMB SCORE? STOP EMBARRASSING YOURSELF.

I cnt jez stop laughing here....
Re: Hnd/b.sc Holders Discrimination: Irrelevant, Dangerious & Unconstitutional. by Nobody: 5:20am On Jul 05, 2015
GODAKPAN:
ADMITTION REQUIREMENTS: BSC=5 CREDIT PLUS 4 JAMB SUBJECTS AND HND=4 CREDIT PLUS 3 JAMB SUBJECTS, WHY THE NOISE? I HAVE BOTH AND I KNOW WHAT AM SAYING. I EVEN HAVE CITY ANG GUILDS LEVEL 4 WHICH IS EQUIVALENT TO HND. GUY GO TO SCHOOL AND STOP SCREAMING. LAW AND MEDICAL GRADUATE STARTS AT LEVEL 10 WHILE OTHERS START AT LEVEL 8. WHY ARE WE NOT KILLING OURSELVES. ENUFF OF DIS CERTIFICATE COMPARISM AS THEY DIDNT START TODAY, THEY WERE THERE BEFORE YOU STARTED SCHOOL.
EACH TIME YOU COME UP WITH ISSUES LIKE THIS, YOU END UP RIDDICULING THE HND GRADUATES. WE KNEW OUR FAITH BEFORE AND DURING SCHOOL. THEY WERE NEVER EQUALS THATS WHY YOU NEED HND TO DO A YEAR 3 DIRECT ENTRY PROGRAMME IN A UNIVERSITY PLUS YOUR MANDATORY BASIC O'LEVEL
You have all that and you still type in all caps.
Re: Hnd/b.sc Holders Discrimination: Irrelevant, Dangerious & Unconstitutional. by anigbajumo(m): 5:23am On Jul 05, 2015
busoye19:

FUTO students paying some Nekede Poly students to write exams for them?? Oga, you can lie ooo. This is a self justification sort of.
BSc and HND are not the same anywhere in the world. For those who are agitating that Bsc should be equal to HND in Nigeria. Try and apply for Masters program abroad with your HND certificate and see what will happen.
Stop all this your agitation and accept your fate or better still, get a Bsc certificate.
The curriculums and course contents are not the same, I went through both systems. They're not the same I repeat.
University is a research and Technological based institution, while Polytechnic is just a Technological based institution.
In the Polytechnic, HND/Bsc holder can become a senior lecturer/HOD, Msc a Rector. You may not pass through a Professor throughout your duration in school.
In the University, Bsc can only be assistant lecturer even with first class honors. HOD/Dean of facilities are Professors.
There is no basis for comparison pls.

Exactly,u suppose to compete d content.

HND=300L in da university....smh
Re: Hnd/b.sc Holders Discrimination: Irrelevant, Dangerious & Unconstitutional. by horla32: 5:25am On Jul 05, 2015
Etisalat Nigeria Fresh Graduate& Exp. Job Recruitment (5 Positions)

http://cuts.name/3tg
Re: Hnd/b.sc Holders Discrimination: Irrelevant, Dangerious & Unconstitutional. by aleem50(m): 5:28am On Jul 05, 2015
tonytony208:
Your spelling of "dangerous" is enough to show you off as a poly student. Many of them cant speak or write simple and correct English; just like you have displayed here. Now, which polytechnic did you graduate from? Your school's standard must have been very poor! "Dangerious"? Queen Elizabeth must hear this!
which school did you graduate from or which school did you graduated from? Is that how you are thought in your so called university?
Re: Hnd/b.sc Holders Discrimination: Irrelevant, Dangerious & Unconstitutional. by tJAY3(m): 5:30am On Jul 05, 2015
Both ain't the same either you like it or not. BSc. holder can never earn or be of the same level with HND holder get that fact. #HND...BEng holder in Civil Engr'g
Re: Hnd/b.sc Holders Discrimination: Irrelevant, Dangerious & Unconstitutional. by omokab: 5:33am On Jul 05, 2015
tonytony208:
you need to be ashamed of yourself. Just check all what you typed and give yourself a mark. For instance you can't even put apostrophe in can't big shame on you not to talk of others. We have many Bsc holders that can not even speak correct english talk less of writing. To do presentation or writing a report is a problem to many of them. This what am telling you is a fact because I work with one of the federal government agency. One of my colleague in office that graduated from uniport does not even know what accounting is talking about. He said it openly that he just started to learn accounting when he was doing his masters. At least ICAN records should be your guide between bsc and hnd holers likewise coren for engineering courses.
Re: Hnd/b.sc Holders Discrimination: Irrelevant, Dangerious & Unconstitutional. by calcal: 5:38am On Jul 05, 2015
we still have a long way to go in this country, interior ministry? - that is government job! Bs or HND got nothing to do with the nature of the job, both of them still need special training to perform the job.

1 Like

Re: Hnd/b.sc Holders Discrimination: Irrelevant, Dangerious & Unconstitutional. by ibrahym47(m): 5:48am On Jul 05, 2015
KingTblaise:
I graduated from Kadpoly, now in FUTMINNA. because of advice from a senior Lecturer....... This discrimination is not going to stop, until they work up one day and see the polytechnic's deserted. #weytin we do for diploma uptil now 300 level @futminna we never finish am...
Imam/Obaga/Femi
Re: Hnd/b.sc Holders Discrimination: Irrelevant, Dangerious & Unconstitutional. by golddeejay(m): 5:57am On Jul 05, 2015
This is a reality every hnd holder must face. If you are looking at the from the start levels, then you are just wastin g cyber space.

Have u asked why

* the criteria for getting admission to a polytechnic is lower than that of university,

* an hnd certificte will get u direct entry to 300Level of a university.

So u dont need to ask why most people consider a B.sc holder to be superior to an Hnd holder.
Re: Hnd/b.sc Holders Discrimination: Irrelevant, Dangerious & Unconstitutional. by opey25(m): 6:06am On Jul 05, 2015
The entry requirements to the universities and polytechnics should be the same before discrimination between University graduate and Polytechnics graduates can be stopped.
Re: Hnd/b.sc Holders Discrimination: Irrelevant, Dangerious & Unconstitutional. by juwa4real(m): 6:27am On Jul 05, 2015
Damfostopper:
Polytechnic and university aint d same...so dnt expect Bsc n Hnd to be d same.....if u no like am...go open university of polytechnic na

That is too bad polytechics were not made for the less previlege as ppl view it today rather it were created to foster innovation and ideals

1 Like

Re: Hnd/b.sc Holders Discrimination: Irrelevant, Dangerious & Unconstitutional. by youngibeh(m): 6:30am On Jul 05, 2015
tonytony208:

What is this half-backed poly student saying? Where did your empty-skulled self hear me calling champion incorrectly? It is like you are hallucinating. You can go and die if you want. You will always be subject to BSC holders forever! Eediot.

oga u better face fact and stop all this monkey style of a thing. Can you stand poly student when it comes to service delivery? You are all full of pride and nothing more. Pls go and do more research on that ok
Re: Hnd/b.sc Holders Discrimination: Irrelevant, Dangerious & Unconstitutional. by Misternas89(m): 6:35am On Jul 05, 2015
busoye19:

FUTO students paying some Nekede Poly students to write exams for them?? Oga, you can lie ooo. This is a self justification sort of.
BSc and HND are not the same anywhere in the world. For those who are agitating that Bsc should be equal to HND in Nigeria. Try and apply for Masters program abroad with your HND certificate and see what will happen.
Stop all this your agitation and accept your fate or better still, get a Bsc certificate.
The curriculums and course contents are not the same, I went through both systems. They're not the same I repeat.
University is a research and Technological based institution, while Polytechnic is just a Technological based institution.
In the Polytechnic, HND/Bsc holder can become a senior lecturer/HOD, Msc a Rector. You may not pass through a Professor throughout your duration in school.
In the University, Bsc can only be assistant lecturer even with first class honors. HOD/Dean of facilities are Professors.
There is no basis for comparison pls.
Bro I swear u are really on point....but never will an HND graduates accept their faith. undecided
Re: Hnd/b.sc Holders Discrimination: Irrelevant, Dangerious & Unconstitutional. by florrie0110: 6:37am On Jul 05, 2015
I think Av seen d likes of this discussion #walksaway#.....
Re: Hnd/b.sc Holders Discrimination: Irrelevant, Dangerious & Unconstitutional. by ABAKA72(m): 6:39am On Jul 05, 2015
My advice to HND graduates: Since you are more equiped and prepared to survive outside paid employment, get self employed, pay yourself and the B.sc graduates you will employ, that was what CACHEZ TURNKEY and others did.
Re: Hnd/b.sc Holders Discrimination: Irrelevant, Dangerious & Unconstitutional. by Elummah(m): 6:40am On Jul 05, 2015
A Perspective On The Discrimination Against Nigerian HND Holders By Christian Dimkpa Germany Dimkpa@uni-jena.de At present, the average Nigerian graduate, be they of the university or the polytechnic hue, is largely poorly trained and therefore ill equipped to face life’s dynamic realities. On a visit to Nigeria last summer, one of my former lecturers at the Michael Okpara College of Agriculture (MOCA), Owerri Imo State, during a discussion, concluded that the last set of motivated and serious students of his college graduated in 1998. I agreed with him not because I was of that set, but because my HND research project attests to that. However, I remembered that this same lecturer, like several of his peers, rather than engage the students in rigorous academic work, sold plagiarised hand-outs to us like no man’s business. This brings me to the recent directive from President Obasanjo, aimed at ending the discrimination between HND and BSc graduates. Whether employers of labour are heeding this directive or not, is another story. But, tell me, what is there to discriminate against when both qualifications (as obtained from Nigeria in recent times) reek of mediocrity? The truth is, like his BSc counterpart, the present Nigerian HND graduate is a lazy, dependent fellow who would not take his destiny in his hands. Many students attend polytechnics for several reasons. For me, but also, am sure, for many ND students, being from just an average-resource base family, undertaking an ND program was a form of security, since the later is of shorter duration, and there is no guaranteed funding for the longer BSc program. It was reasoned that in the event of loss of sponsorship (from death or loss of job by the sponsor); one can pause after the ND, work for a while and then continue with higher studies. For the much longer BSc program, loss of sponsorship midway could see the individual involved back to school certificate level. Would you blame anyone for reasoning this way? I wouldn’t; with poverty so palpable in Nigeria. Although I was fully aware of the discrimination phenomenon, I did not let it be a road-block to my ambition. If you will permit, a brief delve into my career might help to buttress this point. I use to hold (of course, I still hold) a National Diploma (ND) and a HND in Crop Production, both from relatively non-renown higher institutions in Nigeria. However, it is instructive that today, I am pursuing a PhD program at one of the prestigious Max Planck institutes in Germany (best research institute in Europe and eight best globally), and this is in an innovative field of study that perhaps, may never be conducted in any Nigerian university many years from now. This is after obtaining an International MSc degree in Belgium from a university that is listed among the first 300 globally. Note that no Nigerian university is in the first 500, and in the newspaper recently, one Nigerian stakeholder lamented that even if the ranking is extended to the first 5000 best universities, Nigerian universities would still not make the list. After my HND studies in 1998, I worked with the International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) Ibadan, as a Research Assistant. During the interview for that position, several BSc graduate applicants from ‘well-known’ universities such as UI, UniLag, OAU-Ile Ife, among others, were interviewed as well, but the big university names associated with those individuals did not save them from relegation, as they say in football parlance. What I am emphasising here is that it is the intellectual quality of the individual, not the institution attended, that often matters. If you know IITA, then you will agree with me that when it comes to staff recruitment, personal merit is the watchword, not merely possessing a HND or BSc degree. Afterwards, I applied for graduate studies at the Federal University of Agriculture in Abeokuta (UNAAB). Surprisingly or not, I was not considered suitable for admission either because of my HND (upper credit), or because I do not come from that part of Nigeria (remember that tribalism is another serious scourge in Nigeria). But that is by the way. Nevertheless, I did not relent in my desire to attain the highest academic level possible, so that in spite of possessing a HND and the unexplained rejection by UNAAB, and thanks to hundreds of internet hours, I soon obtained a full scholarship from the Belgian inter- university council (www.vlir.be) in 2003, to study Molecular Biology (Plant Biotechnology) in that country. When I arrived in Belgium for the MSc program, I found out that of 241 Nigerians who applied for scholarship for the course, I was the only one admitted. Remember, I held a HND, not the ‘almighty’ BSc. The curious mind that I am, I inquired more about the unsuccessful Nigerian applicants and behold, they were mostly university graduates (again from UI, UniLag, OAU, UNN, UniPort, etc). Of course, two other students of The Polytechnic Ibadan were also admitted but for a different MSc course. That polytechnic offers only HND and not BSc programs. Such is the power of the individual merit. I have since acquitted myself very well in the Belgian MSc program; hence I was admitted, again on full fellowship, to one of the International Max Planck Research School (IMPRS) of the Max Planck society in Germany (http:// www.mpg.de/english and also (http://www.ice.mpg.de) , to study beneficial plant-microbe interaction using modern biotechniques, including proteomics and metabolomics. The other Nigerian scholars, formerly holding HNDs, have since undertaken different higher pursuits here in Europe. This narrative does not by any means attempt to denigrate Nigerian BSc graduates or the universities from which they graduated, but rather to de-emphasise the entrenched segregation. There is even a dichotomy between federal and state university graduates. Wonders shall never end, in Nigeria! From my experience, it can be seen that the senseless HND-BSc dichotomy should have no place in the mind of any serious-minded Nigerian graduate. After all, the HND is fully recognised in the UK and have several equivalents in other European countries. What then is all the fuss about it in Nigeria? My little advice to the Nigerian HND holder who have suffered this discrimination, and who feel qualified enough for certain positions denied them is this: do not let man-made barriers block your ambition, except you have none. Take a cue from others; take time off to do meaningful internet browsing, not using the internet for 419 and other such negative activities. In no time, you too can obtain scholarships to foreign and much better rated institutions of higher learning. By so doing you would have catapulted yourself well beyond any possible academic discrimination if you choose to return to Nigeria to work. Christian Dimkpa, a PhD fellow of the International Max Planck Research School, writes from Jena, Germany (cdimkpa@ice.mpg.de)

4 Likes

Re: Hnd/b.sc Holders Discrimination: Irrelevant, Dangerious & Unconstitutional. by momo22: 6:44am On Jul 05, 2015
tonytony208:

Yeah, it is kindergarten English, but I got my spellings right. My written english is SIMPLE AND CORRECT. I am not like the half-baked poly fool you are defending, who couldn't spell dangerous correctly. And because YOU see it as kindergarten English doesn't make it such. Last time I checked, you are not a Briton. So, eediot, you've for no authority to judge my English.
Your are the most idiotic person on earth. Are you not judging somebody's English? Are u a Briton? Just because of a mistake in spelling see what you are spewing! By the way is English our language? Mr grammatical Mumu!
Re: Hnd/b.sc Holders Discrimination: Irrelevant, Dangerious & Unconstitutional. by Nobody: 6:45am On Jul 05, 2015
Reski:
You have all that and you still type in all caps.

IT IS SO THAT PEOPLE LIKE YOU WILL SEE BUT YOU HAVE REFUSE TO UNDERSTAND, MAYBE I WILL CAST ON ROCKS NEXT TIME. MIND YOU I AINT LIVING ON THOSE PAPERS. I PASSED THRU SCHOOLS AND SCHOOLS STROLLED THRU ME. DONT BE INTIMIDATED, WE ARE FRIENDS

1 Like

Re: Hnd/b.sc Holders Discrimination: Irrelevant, Dangerious & Unconstitutional. by onmonday00730(m): 6:49am On Jul 05, 2015
please who can help some this tax question: Because of the general economic difficulty, the joint business of Mr madness and sanity. there business doing well, they had put all effort and ingenuity but they seen no light at the end of the tunnel. they therefore decided to cease business on 30th Nov. 2007. the adjusted profit are shown in their books were as follows: 31/7/2004-26,000,000 31/7/2005- 12,000,000 31/7/2006-5,000,000 31/7/2007-2,000,000. and 30/11/2007- 500,000. compute the accessable profit
Re: Hnd/b.sc Holders Discrimination: Irrelevant, Dangerious & Unconstitutional. by ademasta(m): 6:53am On Jul 05, 2015
They call it discrimination, but that's the reality. Never can BSC and HND be the same because they are not being trained for same job role. BSC is for top management role while HND is mid-level management role. I see no point in people talking about discrimination, because the two had never been the same. If BSC and HND had been the same why would polytechnic be an alternative to those that couldn't get university admission? Never can you see a school pupil dreaming to attend a polytechnic; everyone aims big right from the begining but as life goes on people realise that not everyone will be a university graduate. Like in my field, engineering, we have cadre of job and responsibilities... Artisans/Craftmen(waec or nabteb)...Technicians(ond)...Technologists(hnd)...Engineers(b.sc/b.tech/b.Eng). Engineers design(top management level), then pass the design down to the technologist(mid management level), the technologists supervise and interpret the design to the technicians and craftment to carry out the hands-on job. Can you now see where all are essential and needed! The relationship is in 'chain'. They all work together but in different roles. So HND holders can never add ''Engr'' to their names. What they add is ''Engr Tech''. So before someone with hnd can add the title, engr, to his name he must first enrol for and finish a postgraduate diploma in any COREN accredited university. Most private companies prefer hnd to bsc these days because they want to pay less. Hnd holders are in some cases at the top of the technical game, but that still doesn't mean you will not be under the supervision of a bsc holder. But don't get it wrong, both are needed in the society. To those that are victims of the so called ''discrimination'', try and enrol for your PGD to equate your hnd with bsc. But if it's too late, all the same. Life goes on! But don't forget to do all you can to ensure your children don't also fall victim. But if the victims still insist in equating the two, that's no big deal. The government should just rename all the polytechnics in the country to universities, upgrade their syllabus to university standard...but wait o! Can that be possible and ok? Can everyone work at the top management level? If the top managers design, who will be at the mid and lower level to implement the design? That's where its impossibilities lie.
I hope this helps those wanting to choose a direction!
#Engr Ademasta

1 Like

Re: Hnd/b.sc Holders Discrimination: Irrelevant, Dangerious & Unconstitutional. by chrisnero(m): 6:55am On Jul 05, 2015
I am a poly graduate,I rep ABIAPOLY

1 Like

Re: Hnd/b.sc Holders Discrimination: Irrelevant, Dangerious & Unconstitutional. by chrisnero(m): 6:57am On Jul 05, 2015
But wait guy! If I go do my PGD sha na the same thing?
Re: Hnd/b.sc Holders Discrimination: Irrelevant, Dangerious & Unconstitutional. by AleAirHub(m): 6:58am On Jul 05, 2015
Too Bad For Nigerians. Take India For Example Their Payment System For Higher Institution Graduate Is The Same, Wither You Are HND/BSC Holder. All These Lukewarm Trash Against HND Makes Me To Drop My HND Struggle To BSC Degree When I Roundup My ND In Fed Poly,Auchi. I Have Compare The Two Walls & Poly Student Are More Resourceable Than University Student. So My Advise For University & Poly Student Try And Be More Resoureable. Don't Be Like Those That Have One Direction In Life { I Study Banking & Finance In School, And I Must Be A Banker Or Work In A Banking Sectors}. While You Are Still Schooling Try & Have Plan {B} At Your Back Of Mind, If Not The Rest Will Be Story...

Best Regards.
Cc: All Auchipoly Student
Cc: Savan Members World-Wide
Cc: All Noun Student
Cc: Christ Amb. College,Kaduna
Cc: Nairaland Users.

1 Like

Re: Hnd/b.sc Holders Discrimination: Irrelevant, Dangerious & Unconstitutional. by Karleb(m): 7:01am On Jul 05, 2015
Give an HND guy a B.Sc and watch him sing a new song.

Wait o, an ND will get you directly into 200l while HND will get you into 300l? shocked

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply)

Uniabuja Tallest Student “evidence” Shows Off His Modelling Skills In New Photos / University Of Ibadan Ranked Nigeria’s Best University, 8th In Africa / Meet Aarinola Olaiya Who Broke 28-Year-Old Record In Medicine In OAU

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.