Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,355 members, 7,815,756 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:43 PM

Hnd/b.sc Holders Discrimination: Irrelevant, Dangerious & Unconstitutional. - Education (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Hnd/b.sc Holders Discrimination: Irrelevant, Dangerious & Unconstitutional. (45447 Views)

The 6 Youngest PhD Holders In Nigeria (Photos) / List Of The 5 Youngest PhD Holders In Nigeria / HND & B.sc. Saga: "Grant Polytechnics The Right To Award Degrees" - ASUP (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Hnd/b.sc Holders Discrimination: Irrelevant, Dangerious & Unconstitutional. by Abbey2sam(m): 7:53am On Jul 05, 2015
tonytony208:
Your spelling of "dangerous" is enough to show you off as a poly student. Many of them cant speak or write simple and correct English; just like you have displayed here. Now, which polytechnic did you graduate from? Your school's standard must have been very poor! "Dangerious"? Queen Elizabeth must hear this!

and you think you just write a good english? clap for yourself, i've seen worse university students,

lemme ask you, can Elizabeth speak your language?
Re: Hnd/b.sc Holders Discrimination: Irrelevant, Dangerious & Unconstitutional. by hotgunz(m): 7:54am On Jul 05, 2015
lonelydora:

Proof of a pained Poly graduate.
am a proud poly graduate wat I hv achieved and wat I can do in Engineering world ur mate can never. In fact I boss dem at work.
Re: Hnd/b.sc Holders Discrimination: Irrelevant, Dangerious & Unconstitutional. by Nobody: 7:56am On Jul 05, 2015
bodbod:
Hello nairalanders, I don't really see why the descimination is so much, I work in a financial institution as an HND holder,a contract staff but each time a BSC holder is been employed as a full staff,d HND holders(the so called contract staff) are ones to train the newly employed BSC holder.so what is the justification? There are lots of BSC holders that can not even withstand some HND holders when it comes to performance and skill application. God help us.
It's the way the world work just like examination is not a true test of knowledge, yet it's the world's recognized standard for assessing competency.

1 Like

Re: Hnd/b.sc Holders Discrimination: Irrelevant, Dangerious & Unconstitutional. by sixtus3606(m): 8:00am On Jul 05, 2015
MsTIQ:
I don't think there is anything that can be done constitutionally as regards this! For better chances and to avoid discrimination, You should strive to achieve a University education even after the Diploma, atleast to be on safer side smiley
Na u talk sense pass!
Re: Hnd/b.sc Holders Discrimination: Irrelevant, Dangerious & Unconstitutional. by Megaflex(m): 8:02am On Jul 05, 2015
tonytony208:

Oh sorry. I forgot that you are suffering from bilateral anopia!
Accept say u goof jor my guy
Re: Hnd/b.sc Holders Discrimination: Irrelevant, Dangerious & Unconstitutional. by lonelydora: 8:05am On Jul 05, 2015
hotgunz:
am a proud poly graduate wat I hv achieved and wat I can do in Engineering world ur mate can never. In fact I boss dem at work.

Which Engineering world? That groundnut oil mill in your backyard is what you call engineering world? Young man, there's difference between a technician, which you are, and an Engineer.

Well I'm not here to banter words with you.

3 Likes

Re: Hnd/b.sc Holders Discrimination: Irrelevant, Dangerious & Unconstitutional. by Nobody: 8:05am On Jul 05, 2015
neocortex:
@Jakara , the so called discrimination will never end except all polytechnic are upgraded to Universities.
The aims behind the establishment of polytechnic is different from university and this has nothing to
do with one being better than the other.
Nigeria didn't invent polytechnics, they exist everywhere across the globe.
Rather than embark on a futile campaign for equality , a more effective strategy should be calls for the abolition of polytechnics.

As for those bickering over which of polys/unis produce smarter graduates, they must know that individual's difference in intellect is mainly
responsible for scholastically prowess , not the institution one attends since smart graduate are found in both polytechnics and universities.
Polytechnics would never be scrapped. They may be allowed to produce some applied science degree. Their are polytechnics all over the world from Canada to Russia.
Re: Hnd/b.sc Holders Discrimination: Irrelevant, Dangerious & Unconstitutional. by lordhugo(m): 8:05am On Jul 05, 2015
Jakara:

Funnyme, I know that Nigeria will be incomplete without mad people like you.
For your information I have gotten my MBA from FUTO.
What I am talking is for reasonable people to contribute to the betterment of this Nation due to the dangers associated with it.
Note: this topic is not for dafts like you. Please don't see it as an insult but as an advice

You can make your point without recourse to lying o.

FUTO has only MSc, MTech and PGD programs in the postgraduate tier.

There is no MBA (masters of business administration) in FUTO except in PMT, FMT and MMT depts.

So unless na those depts, no lie again o.

abeg check your "sertifikate" well.

I would like to see a copy though.

FINALLY, POLY IS POLY AND UNI IS UNI.

IF YOU GO POLY, EXPECT POLY SALARY.

IF YOU GO UNI, NA UNI SALARY U GO GET.

3 Likes

Re: Hnd/b.sc Holders Discrimination: Irrelevant, Dangerious & Unconstitutional. by Popoolaoladayo(m): 8:06am On Jul 05, 2015
In the first place, it is important to note that the two systems are not the same and can never be the same. One is also not an alternative to the other. Polytechnic education is purely a techno-scientific education. This is in contrast to that of the university that is predominantly academic. The meaning of this is that while polytechnic education concentrates on technical cum scientific education and at the same time providing the nation and economy with the much needed and indispensable middle level manpower, the university concentrates on academic work and research. The result of their academic and research work is exactly what the polytechnic cadre puts into a practical form. For instance, an Electronics/Electrical Engineering graduate from the university can sit down on a table and plan how a given building can be wired. He is not expected to do the wiring himself. The wiring, which is a practical aspect, is now the responsibility of the polytechnic Electronic/Electrical Engineering graduate.
The argument here is that while polytechnic education is more of practical, The Bachelor’s Degree also known as “Baccalaureate” in many countries. The word baccalaureate is a distorted version of German word “Bakkalaureus.” The Bachelor’s degree was first awarded in Germany, but was later abolished. The degree resurfaced in 1820, however, as part of a change in the higher education system. A Bachelor’s degree is an undergraduate academic degree. The name “Bachelor” was given to the degree because of the English word “Bachelor” meaning young apprentice (Encyclopaedia Britannica 2007).that of the university is theoretical. Polytechnic education is, for instance, 60 per cent practical and 40 percent theoretical while that of the university is vice versa.
This little explanation is a pure pointer to the fact that both educational systems are not the same or is one an alternative to the other. Therefore, a student who is opting for the polytechnic education should bear in mind that he is opting for a practical- oriented education. He can only switch to the university if he wants to go academic or theoretical. In a nutshell, one does not enter a polytechnic as a last resort. It is a different educational system with its own mission, vision and, of course, a clear objective.
Countries like Japan, Korea, Germany, Australia, Malaysia and many developed economies rely deeply on skilled and technical education despite knowing that the university education has an edge over the polytechnic education.Both qualifications work hand in hand because they compliment each other.The government of Nigeria should apply Adams Stacy's equity theory so as to give a positive end result in organizational goals.More so course content of both the university and the Polytechnic should be interwoven.
The discrimination is conspicuous and i know how you feel jakarta.i held the bull by the horn by going back to school dumping my two HNDs for PGD.I surged on and today i will affirmatively tell you that i have two masters degrees and a PHD in view.You can even decide to do a top program in any university(it is just one year six month).
Finally you will observe that you even have the edge over every because you have the acumen of the practicals and theory in you.IF THE CONTEMPORARY SITUATION IS DOWNGRADING YOUR EDUCATIONAL ATTAINMENT,FIGHT IT HARD TO BEAT THE CONTEMPORARY POLICIES OF THE EDUCATIONAL DICHOTOMY.

1 Like

Re: Hnd/b.sc Holders Discrimination: Irrelevant, Dangerious & Unconstitutional. by remirez07(m): 8:07am On Jul 05, 2015
Jakara:
Federal Government should please end this certificate discrimination between HND & B.Sc. holders in Federal Ministry of Interior (Prisons, Immigration, Civil Defence) and others in order to increase their productivity.

This discrimination is irrelevant, dangerious, unethical and unconstitutional.

There is a looming bloody clash between these two cadres at fields of operation due to live arms/ammunition they bear and that is why every well meaning Nigerian should help towards scrapping out this because you/ your family will become victim directly/indirectly & never ask God why because you caused it by not publishing or broadcasting this message.

Few of the discriminations witnessed in Min. of Interior are;
? HND (Inspectorate Cadre), while B.Sc. (Superintendent Cadre).
? Entry Level for HND is G/L 7, while a fellow Graduate with B.Sc. is G/L 8.
? HND G/L 7 earns (#70,000 pm), while B.Sc. G/L 8 earns (#120,000 pm).
? Terminal Point for HND is G/L 13, while B.Sc. is to the highest G/L.
? HND/ inspectorate cadre ranks are confusing, while superintendent
ranks are normal ranks/recognized ranks in military/paramilitary
agencies.
? B.Sc Holder hardly pay complement to his superior officer with HND certificate.
? HND graduates are denied one Grade Level during rank conversation.
? Above all, HND holder in this Ministry of Interior are regarded and treated as artisans with WASC or Trade Test qualifications.

It is shameful that staff of Ministry of Interior and others as affected no longer concentrate on their duties or bring ideas that could help the job, rather they focuse on getting more certificates by hook or by crook in order to be converted to superintendent cadre.

It is obvious that other well recognised security agencies like; Nigeria Military, DSS, Nigerian Police, etc do not discriminate
in ranking between HND & B.Sc. Holders.

Federal Government should merge Ministry of Interior with Police to stop this nonsense if they persists in this evil act called discrimination.
the true fact is, HND/B.Sc cannot be equivalent there most be different inbtw the both but the differ shouldn't be much.... And Nigeria should stop discrimination. Education is education.
Re: Hnd/b.sc Holders Discrimination: Irrelevant, Dangerious & Unconstitutional. by neocortex: 8:08am On Jul 05, 2015
saxywale:

Polytechnics would never be scrapped. They may be allowed to produce some applied science degree. Their are polytechnics all over the world from Canada to Russia.

Then "discrimination" will always exist.
Re: Hnd/b.sc Holders Discrimination: Irrelevant, Dangerious & Unconstitutional. by porka: 8:12am On Jul 05, 2015
perryy:

So true though. Come to gateway polytechnics, igbesa for a confirmation of your assertion. Though I am a poly graduate, the quality of lecturers found in our polytechnics won't allow me to call for the equalisation of HND and BSc . However, it should be noted that that it is not all university graduates that are sound. Most of them are academically poor, even poorer than graduates from most federal polytechnics.

The only thing that can save the polytechnics from this malady is the application of stringent rules in the recruitment of lecturers. The NUC is doing a great job in that direction, and it is for that reason that you have many sound lecturers in universities

[size=13pt]Polytechnic teachers are resistant in this respect. They don't want to update or improve themselves because of laziness.

NUC is only responsible for universities' regulation though.[/size]
Re: Hnd/b.sc Holders Discrimination: Irrelevant, Dangerious & Unconstitutional. by powerfulsettingz: 8:12am On Jul 05, 2015
Damfostopper:
Polytechnic and university aint d same...so dnt expect Bsc n Hnd to be d same.....if u no like am...go open university of polytechnic na
young man is neco and waec dsame?
Re: Hnd/b.sc Holders Discrimination: Irrelevant, Dangerious & Unconstitutional. by niyidenrele: 8:14am On Jul 05, 2015
all I want to say is ,....y is it that courses like,medicine,pharmacy ,law and aeronatical science ,are not allowed to be studied in the polytechnic,if truely they are in tandem to the university system........OMO PORY,sorry apoti,ahh wanted to say poly ,accept your faith as ........hmmmmm[b]all I want to say is ,....y is it that courses like,medicine,pharmacy ,law and aeronatical science ,are not allowed to be studied in the polytechnic,if truely they are in tandem to the university system........OMO PORY,sorry apoti,ahh wanted to say poly ,accept your faith as ........hmmmmm[/b]all I want to say is ,....y is it that courses like,medicine,pharmacy ,law and aeronatical science ,are not allowed to be studied in the polytechnic,if truely they are in tandem to the university system........OMO PORY,sorry apoti,ahh wanted to say poly ,accept your faith as ........hmmmmm

1 Like

Re: Hnd/b.sc Holders Discrimination: Irrelevant, Dangerious & Unconstitutional. by samsard(m): 8:19am On Jul 05, 2015
Although universities are more theoretically and management oriented, those who say universities don't do practicals are probably blind or just plain ignorant. They should also note that universities are not vocational education centres. Jakara, it would help your cause more if you provided verifiable and objective points. What you are currently doing is an attempt at stirring up sentiments. As for those working in the ministry of interior, they knew the terms of employment before accepting to be employed there and should thus live with it or resign. That they handle weapons shouldn't change anything.

1 Like

Re: Hnd/b.sc Holders Discrimination: Irrelevant, Dangerious & Unconstitutional. by sexynabila(f): 8:20am On Jul 05, 2015
tonytony208:
Your spelling of "dangerous" is enough to show you off as a poly student. Many of them cant speak or write simple and correct English; just like you have displayed here. Now, which polytechnic did you graduate from? Your school's standard must have been very poor! "Dangerious"? Queen Elizabeth must hear this!
hahahaha... u falll ur hand big time....if u r so educated...u shuld kw his spelling is correct...smh
Re: Hnd/b.sc Holders Discrimination: Irrelevant, Dangerious & Unconstitutional. by perryy(m): 8:23am On Jul 05, 2015
barrnchedo:
Am a Lawyer and as you are well aware of Law is studied only in the Universities in Nigeria. Stop saying things that might demoralise others. I have seen a lot of brilliant HND holders.

Don't mind the half educated fellow. I asked him the meaning of simple and correct English. I am a proud polytechnics graduate and a self made millionaire, I never allowed this discrimination to stop my dream. I am a victim of the mad discrimination. where I worked , I did all the writings, but because of my certificate, I was left in situ for eight years despite many recommendations from my immediate boss who "knows" my worth. During all the trainings organised by the the company, I always showed exceptional attributes to the admiration of all,yet no promotion just because of the useless dichotomy between BSC and HND. Many polytechnics graduates are actually bad, same with many university students / graduates. The best test of graduates intelligence ought not to be the 'paper' they wield but their performances in aptitude tests and if already employed, on the job tests . It is saddening that a colleague of yours who cannot even answer a query without your help is two levels ahead of you all because of his/her paper qualifications. In the office, you are being adored and admired by your colleagues by virtue of your intelligence, yet management won't recognise your worth because of your HND. Sad!

Well, while I won't call for outright equalisation of HND and BSc, I believe there should be remedial examinations for HND holders, that whoever is it that passed it, will have their HND converted to BSc. With this, the injustice that have been done to people like us, who have worked our finger sore to educate and distinguished ourselves and for one reason or the other, found ourselves in the polytechnics, will be remedied.
Re: Hnd/b.sc Holders Discrimination: Irrelevant, Dangerious & Unconstitutional. by ndidibabe(f): 8:23am On Jul 05, 2015
tonytony208:

Yeah, it is kindergarten English, but I got my spellings right. My written english is SIMPLE AND CORRECT. I am not like the half-baked poly fool you are defending, who couldn't spell dangerous correctly. And because YOU see it as kindergarten English doesn't make it such. Last time I checked, you are not a Briton. So, eediot, you've for no authority to judge my English.
My friend, spelling is not a big deal when you use a platform like this. It could be auto-corrected. However, the poster could have made a mistake. Do not be overconfident about your written English. Did you see where you used a conjunction after a full stop? I am sure you don't know that's wrong. "You have for no authority"? What sort of English is that? I am not here to defend anyone. In fact, the HND guy should stop thinking his certificate is the same as a degree. It is not so anywhere in the world. Rather, he should earnest possible means of improving his qualification. Some of my HND colleagues at Access Bank are quite smart and sometimes, i wonder why they couldn't make it to the University. I pity them a lot because of their very poor salary. However, the fact that you attended a mushroom University doesn't mean you are better than any of these guys.

1 Like

Re: Hnd/b.sc Holders Discrimination: Irrelevant, Dangerious & Unconstitutional. by bigerboy200: 8:24am On Jul 05, 2015
hotgunz:
what makes u a licensed and certified engr?? The fact u boss them at work isn't a criteria to make u feel u are better off...in as much as i don't fancy discrimination btwn poly graduates and Bsc holders, it would be most unfair to feel most ploy graduates are much better off than Bsc holders...In a professional enviroment( not ministry of interior ohh,where no defined and professional Job description,),there are Jobs meant for technicians and Jobs meant for engineers..u don't expect a technician to do an enginner's Job and vice versa..i am a scientist,i don't expect a technologist to overlap my functions ,just as i won't overlap his...so let's not feel anyway inferior or superior to anyone..in d end,we all shall survive and b better off in our various callings..
Re: Hnd/b.sc Holders Discrimination: Irrelevant, Dangerious & Unconstitutional. by Nobody: 8:25am On Jul 05, 2015
neocortex:

Then "discrimination" will always exist.
This is the origin of the problem...
Popoolaoladayo:
Therefore, a student who is opting for the polytechnic education should bear in mind that he is opting for a practical- oriented education. He can only switch to the university if he wants to go academic or theoretical. In a nutshell, one does not enter a polytechnic as a last resort. It is a different educational system with its own mission, vision and, of course, a clear objective.
Alot of polytechnic grad chose the polytechnics as a last resort either because of low waec scores or jamb scores. They easily forgot that both institution are set up for different objectives.
In advanced countries using Canada as an example, the citizens know the difference between the two and usually go for whatever they have interest in (although some attend polytechnics because of low scores too but have a chance to transfer to university after completing their diploma if they score at least an average of 70%. Although it would take another two years to get a degree).

1 Like

Re: Hnd/b.sc Holders Discrimination: Irrelevant, Dangerious & Unconstitutional. by hotgunz(m): 8:25am On Jul 05, 2015
lonelydora:

Which Engineering world? That groundnut oil mill in your backyard is what you call engineering world? Young man, there's difference between a technician, which you are, and an Engineer.

Well I'm not here to banter words with you.
you see how stupid u re shame on you s called technologist and dont get it twisťed I rep and u dont, jst take it u nt in my league....EOD. Hv a nice day
Re: Hnd/b.sc Holders Discrimination: Irrelevant, Dangerious & Unconstitutional. by Gimmy(m): 8:31am On Jul 05, 2015
tonytony208:
''which polytechnic did you graduate from? Now as a BSc holder,are you suppose to use ''graduate or graduated''? Nobody is above a simple mistake.
Re: Hnd/b.sc Holders Discrimination: Irrelevant, Dangerious & Unconstitutional. by hotgunz(m): 8:32am On Jul 05, 2015
bigerboy200:

what makes u a licensed and certified engr?? The fact u boss them at work isn't a criteria to make u feel u are better off...in as much as i don't fancy discrimination btwn poly graduates and Bsc holders, it would be most unfair to feel most ploy graduates are much better off than Bsc holders...In a professional enviroment( not ministry of interior ohh,where no defined and professional Job description,),there are Jobs meant for technicians and Jobs meant for engineers..u don't expect a technician to do an enginner's Job and vice versa..i am a scientist,i don't expect a technologist to overlap my functions ,just as i won't overlap his...so let's not feel anyway inferior or superior to anyone..in d end,we all shall survive and b better off in our various callings..
in Engineerin my frd how can u called sumone dt can't connect a point of light an engineer? We talkin bout practical here nt theory.
Re: Hnd/b.sc Holders Discrimination: Irrelevant, Dangerious & Unconstitutional. by perryy(m): 8:32am On Jul 05, 2015
ndidibabe:
My friend, spelling is not a big deal when you use a platform like this. It could be auto-corrected. However, the poster could have made a mistake. Do not be overconfident about your written English. Did you see where you used a conjunction after a full stop? I am sure you don't know that's wrong. "You have for no authority"? What sort of English is that? I am not here to defend anyone. In fact, the HND guy should stop thinking his certificate is the same as a degree. It is not so anywhere in the world. Rather, he should earnest possible means of improving his qualification. Some of my HND colleagues at Access Bank are quite smart and sometimes, i wonder why they couldn't make it to the University. I pity them a lot because of their very poor salary. However, the fact that you attended a mushroom University doesn't mean you are better than any of these guys.

Good one for the eediot. Sound people like you are not hard to know. They are empathic and reasonable unlike the guy above who believe that because he happened to be a university graduate, he is better than every polytechnic graduate. I'm a polytechnics graduate and I can defeat the proud ass in both written and oral debates in any field. Thumps up dude.
Re: Hnd/b.sc Holders Discrimination: Irrelevant, Dangerious & Unconstitutional. by bigerboy200: 8:33am On Jul 05, 2015
ndidibabe:
Here u go again...what makes a university mushroom??huuuh?? So in other words, some degrees are of less value than some othersso Someone from d so called mushroom univ can't b better off in terms of efficiency,competence and intellectual ability than someone from the ''correct university'' ??. It's a shame that discrimination has come to stay in Nigeria..we all have to change our mode of reasoning.. It begins with u and me...cheers
Re: Hnd/b.sc Holders Discrimination: Irrelevant, Dangerious & Unconstitutional. by swimcash(m): 8:37am On Jul 05, 2015
Jakara:

The professors are the ones taking Nigeria backwards through looting and projecting issues like this other than idea that could make us have hope like leaders of tomorrow.
I have both Polytechnic (HND) and University (MBA) Certificates, which is expensive, what about those that can not afford it.
That is why you and I should join hands in ending this madness by publishing/broadcasting it and if possible relating it with our friends and relations in NASS because of its looming danger in Nigeria.
y complicate life? everi1 knws abt d descrimination frm d onset n yet det choose 2 attend poly instead if uni, cos ita easier 2 gain admission n cos sum if den could nt meet up wit d 5credit required. wen obasanjo tried makin it equal he did nt susceed cos even d lecturers un poly kick against it. bro, u futherin ur educatn was because u knew B.sc wil always subpass hnd, lets odas wit hnd do likewise instead of askin 4 d impossible. its dosent seems ryt comparin both, so i advise pple wit hnd 2 try n futher dere educatn instead of makin noise n seekin 4 d impossible
Re: Hnd/b.sc Holders Discrimination: Irrelevant, Dangerious & Unconstitutional. by bigerboy200: 8:37am On Jul 05, 2015
perryy:

Good one for the eediot. Sound people like you are not hard to know. They are empathic and reasonable unlike the guy above who believe that because he happened to be a university graduate, he is better than every polytechnic graduate. I'm a polytechnics graduate and I can defeat the proud ass in both written and oral debates in any field. Thumps up dude.
On a lighter note tho ''I'm a POLYTECHNICS graduate??''....i know it's a typo error sha...lol.. but u sound over confident...just chill..never feel superior or inferior to anyone..never never..
Re: Hnd/b.sc Holders Discrimination: Irrelevant, Dangerious & Unconstitutional. by Nobody: 8:37am On Jul 05, 2015
hotgunz:
in Engineerin my frd how can u called sumone dt can't connect a point of light an engineer? We talkin bout practical here nt theory.
Dude..easy mehn...
....it is not the job of an engineer to connect a point of light or mess around with screw drivers or air tools, some engineers can't even differentiate a pipe wrench from an adjustable wrench.. grin grin grin. That is for the technicians who are supervised by technologist who are in turn supervised by engineers. Engineers are usually project managers and are not meant to have too much hands-on experience. They are the brain behind the project.
In Canada or most developed countries, engineers don't even design or draft like they do in Nigeria, that is the work of technologists popularly called engineers assistants...Engineers review the drawing and either reject or approve the design/draft so that the project can go ahead.
Re: Hnd/b.sc Holders Discrimination: Irrelevant, Dangerious & Unconstitutional. by Popoolaoladayo(m): 8:38am On Jul 05, 2015
In the first place, it is important to note that the two systems are not the same and can never be the same. One is also not an alternative to the other. Polytechnic education is purely a techno-scientific education. This is in contrast to that of the university that is predominantly academic. The meaning of this is that while polytechnic education concentrates on technical cum scientific education and at the same time providing the nation and economy with the much needed and indispensable middle level manpower, the university concentrates on academic work and research. The result of their academic and research work is exactly what the polytechnic cadre puts into a practical form. For instance, an Electronics/Electrical Engineering graduate from the university can sit down on a table and plan how a given building can be wired. He is not expected to do the wiring himself. The wiring, which is a practical aspect, is now the responsibility of the polytechnic Electronic/Electrical Engineering graduate.
The argument here is that while polytechnic education is more of practical, The Bachelor’s Degree also known as “Baccalaureate” in many countries. The word baccalaureate is a distorted version of German word “Bakkalaureus.” The Bachelor’s degree was first awarded in Germany, but was later abolished. The degree resurfaced in 1820, however, as part of a change in the higher education system. A Bachelor’s degree is an undergraduate academic degree. The name “Bachelor” was given to the degree because of the English word “Bachelor” meaning young apprentice (Encyclopaedia Britannica 2007).that of the university is theoretical. Polytechnic education is, for instance, 60 per cent practical and 40 percent theoretical while that of the university is vice versa.
This little explanation is a pure pointer to the fact that both educational systems are not the same or is one an alternative to the other. Therefore, a student who is opting for the polytechnic education should bear in mind that he is opting for a practical- oriented education. He can only switch to the university if he wants to go academic or theoretical. In a nutshell, one does not enter a polytechnic as a last resort. It is a different educational system with its own mission, vision and, of course, a clear objective.
Countries like Japan, Korea, Germany, Australia, Malaysia and many developed economies rely deeply on skilled and technical education despite knowing that the university education has an edge over the polytechnic education.Both qualifications work hand in hand because they compliment each other.The government of Nigeria should apply Adams Stacy's equity theory so as to give a positive end result in organizational goals.More so course content of both the university and the Polytechnic should be interwoven.
The discrimination is conspicuous and i know how you feel jakarta.i held the bull by the horn by going back to school dumping my two HNDs for PGD.I surged on and today i will affirmatively tell you that i have two masters degrees and a PHD in view.You can even decide to do a top program in any university(it is just one year six month).
Finally you will observe that you even have the edge over every because you have the acumen of the practicals and theory in you.IF THE CONTEMPORARY SITUATION IS DOWNGRADING YOUR EDUCATIONAL ATTAINMENT,FIGHT IT HARD TO BEAT THE CONTEMPORARY POLICIES OF THE EDUCATIONAL DICHOTOMY.
Jakara:
Federal Government should please end this certificate discrimination between HND & B.Sc. holders in Federal Ministry of Interior (Prisons, Immigration, Civil Defence) and others in order to increase their productivity.

This discrimination is irrelevant, dangerious, unethical and unconstitutional.

There is a looming bloody clash between these two cadres at fields of operation due to live arms/ammunition they bear and that is why every well meaning Nigerian should help towards scrapping out this because you/ your family will become victim directly/indirectly & never ask God why because you caused it by not publishing or broadcasting this message.

Few of the discriminations witnessed in Min. of Interior are;
? HND (Inspectorate Cadre), while B.Sc. (Superintendent Cadre).
? Entry Level for HND is G/L 7, while a fellow Graduate with B.Sc. is G/L 8.
? HND G/L 7 earns (#70,000 pm), while B.Sc. G/L 8 earns (#120,000 pm).
? Terminal Point for HND is G/L 13, while B.Sc. is to the highest G/L.
? HND/ inspectorate cadre ranks are confusing, while superintendent
ranks are normal ranks/recognized ranks in military/paramilitary
agencies.
? B.Sc Holder hardly pay complement to his superior officer with HND certificate.
? HND graduates are denied one Grade Level during rank conversation.
? Above all, HND holder in this Ministry of Interior are regarded and treated as artisans with WASC or Trade Test qualifications.

It is shameful that staff of Ministry of Interior and others as affected no longer concentrate on their duties or bring ideas that could help the job, rather they focuse on getting more certificates by hook or by crook in order to be converted to superintendent cadre.

It is obvious that other well recognised security agencies like; Nigeria Military, DSS, Nigerian Police, etc do not discriminate
in ranking between HND & B.Sc. Holders.

Federal Government should merge Ministry of Interior with Police to stop this nonsense if they persists in this evil act called discrimination.
Re: Hnd/b.sc Holders Discrimination: Irrelevant, Dangerious & Unconstitutional. by ndidibabe(f): 8:39am On Jul 05, 2015
Gimmy:
''which polytechnic did you graduate from? No as a BSc holder,are you suppose to use ''graduate or graduated''? Nobody is above a simple mistake. ''which polytechnic did you graduate from? No as a BSc holder,are you suppose to use ''graduate or graduated''? Nobody is above a simple mistake. ''which polytechnic did you graduate from? Now as a BSc holder,are you suppose to use ''graduate or graduated''? Nobody is above a simple mistake.
Please stop being ridiculous. You are one of the reasons why the guy is 'molesting' HND guys. You mean he should say "Which Poly did you graduated from?" Haba, don't kill me this morning o.
Re: Hnd/b.sc Holders Discrimination: Irrelevant, Dangerious & Unconstitutional. by harjibolar10(m): 8:39am On Jul 05, 2015
In as much as TECNO can ping the same way BLACKBERRY will, then I see no reason why there should be discrimination between both certificates... Thou, some blackberry users find it difficult to accept that fact, but where are they now?

#SayNoToDiscriminationAtAnyLevel

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Hnd/b.sc Holders Discrimination: Irrelevant, Dangerious & Unconstitutional. by Popoolaoladayo(m): 8:40am On Jul 05, 2015
saxywale:

It's the way the world work just like examination is not a true test of knowledge, yet it's the world's recognized standard for assessing competency.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (16) (Reply)

Chioma Opara; Made 9A's In WAEC, 345 In JAMB, Wins $340,000 Scholarships / Textbook Teaching Kids About Gender Roles (Pictured) / Uniabuja Tallest Student “evidence” Shows Off His Modelling Skills In New Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 125
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.