Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,205 members, 7,839,109 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 01:53 PM

Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! - Literature (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! (101872 Views)

What Book Are You Reading Now / No More Room For Love- By Loudest Thoughts / What's The Most Captivating Story You Are Currently Reading? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (34) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by crowther15(m): 4:58pm On Jul 14, 2015
I don't think anyone is reading the same book as I do
"How Europe Underdeveloped Africa" by Walter Rodney a British quite interesting, its exposed how western European countries gather their wealth through labour and and exploitation of black. hw they hinder our further development from communal to Feudal in 15th century. i'm currently in page 230. I need to read this to enhance my knowledge on economic policy and programs....... Student of economics UNIVERSITY OF ILORIN.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by fowowe411: 4:59pm On Jul 14, 2015
I'm currently reading John Grisham 's "The client"

1 Like

Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by Phoenickz(f): 5:00pm On Jul 14, 2015
Currently reading Blackout by Gavin Gray
Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by fowowe411: 5:00pm On Jul 14, 2015
crowther15:
"How Europe Underdeveloped Africa" by Walter Rodney a British quite interesting, its exposed how western European countries gather their wealth through labour and and exploitation of black. hw they hinder our further development from communal to Feudal in 15th century. i'm currently in page 230. I need to read this to enhance my knowledge on economic policy and programs....... Student of economics UNIVERSITY OF ILORIN.
I dropped it even before I started somehow dry to me

1 Like

Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by Nobody: 5:01pm On Jul 14, 2015
freeage7:

Which site do u download books from pls? Are the downloads for free?
To download any book, I just type the book's name and add pdf, then search fort it on Google.
I downloaded The Road Less Traveled from this link: siestakeybeachmeeting.com/.../The%20Road%20Less%20Traveled.pdf
Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by KingsleySanchez(m): 5:01pm On Jul 14, 2015
[quote author=kasmail post=35560661]I so much love reading but i need mobile app dat can let me download books[/quote

Download ebook downloader

1 Like

Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by Nobody: 5:02pm On Jul 14, 2015
crowther15:

A very revealing and equally depressing one. I read a pet of it back in 2012. Very painful the author was allegedly assassinated by some powerful corrupt folks from the West.

The most important lesson from that book is that while we can blame the Whites for the terrible roles they played in our underdevelopment, with hard work and vision we can still progress and develop. No excuses.

2 Likes

Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by sinto5(m): 5:02pm On Jul 14, 2015
am currently reading THE PRINCIPLES AND POWER OF VISION key of achieving personal and corporate destiny by Dr.Myles Munroe
Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by Nobody: 5:02pm On Jul 14, 2015
avalontony:

Badt guys grin grin.....na only this verse you sabi grin
My brother I say make I read na.
Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by Rilwayne001: 5:04pm On Jul 14, 2015
Demmzy15:
Is the pdf available?
YES Bro.
Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by KingsleySanchez(m): 5:07pm On Jul 14, 2015
dearpreye:
We've been repeatedly told that readers are leaders. Also, that he who doesn't read has a very little advantage over the one that cannot read. To read is to learn and grow. We won't stay long enough to experience all life has to offer. We need to read to learn from the lessons and experiences of others.

It's very saddening that in this age, despite the overwhelming abundance of information, a lot of us don't really study.

All the information we need to succeed in life has been written. Be it on money, marriage, health, business, family, success itself, religion. Name it. It's been written.

I'm currently reading THE ROAD LESS TRAVELLED, By Scott Peck. It's being an awesome read. The author talked on pleasure, suffering, discipline, delayed gratification, child training and religion.

I'll talk briefly on self gratification. It's the ability to forego today's even legitimate pleasure for tomorrow's gain. Without it, wealth, health and joy will elude the individual. No one can truly succeed without this vital ingredient of life. To delay gratification is to prioritise. To delay gratification is to always look at the bigger picture.

The future is hardly far away. It comes pretty quiver than we can imagine. Time hasn't waited for anyone. If we must live a happier tomorrow, we must be mature and brave enough to delay gratification. I'll encourage as many as possible to get a copy of this great book and travel in the mind of the author.

So, let's see which book you're currently reading. Any book. And don't forget to drop a line or two from it. Thanks.

Lalasticlala and Ishilove, please let's do justice to this thread. Readers are leaders.

Cc: SarahBabyxx, ideykwum, Whynotthetruth, barcanista, Truckpusher, MizMyColi, et al.

I'm currently reading BUSINESS OF THE 21st CENTURY by ROBERT KIYOSAKI.
This book shares how Network Marketing and some other few businesses are the trending businesses of the Century.
It also explains in details the differences within the four Financial Quadrants. This book is bomb!
Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by crowther15(m): 5:07pm On Jul 14, 2015
fowowe411:
I dropped it even before I started somehow dry to me
Bro pls kindly go back go back it, its educative and revealing, u can the PDF version online
Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by lawlahbammy(f): 5:07pm On Jul 14, 2015
The trilogy of fifty shades.
Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by saddabm(m): 5:10pm On Jul 14, 2015
@dearpreye thank you for opening this thread may God bless
You and your family
Keep blessed.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by crowther15(m): 5:11pm On Jul 14, 2015
dearpreye:

A very revealing and equally depressing one. I read a pet of it back in 2012. Very painful the author was allegedly assassinated by some powerful corrupt folks from the West.

The most important lesson from that book is that while we can blame the Whites for the terrible roles they played in our underdevelopment, with hard work and vision we can still progress and develop. No excuses.
Yh bro, this passage always touched me in the book " in the 15th century before colonialism
Indeed, the first Europeans to reach West and East
Africa by sea were the ones who indicated that in most respects African
development was comparable to that which they knew. To take but one
example, when the Dutch visited the city of Benin they described it
thus:
The town seems to be very great. When you enter into it, you go into a great
broad street, not paved, which seems to be seven or eight times broader than
the Warmoes street in Amsterdam....
The king’s palace is a collection of buildings which occupy as much space as
the town of Harlem, and which is enclosed with walls. There are numerous
apartments for the Prince’s ministers and fine galleries, most of which are as
big as those on the Exchange at Amsterdam. They are supported by wooden
pillars encased with copper, where their victories are depicted, and which are
carefully kept very clean.
The town is composed of thirty main streets, very straight and 120 feet wide,
apart from an infinity of small intersecting streets. The houses are close to one
another, arranged in good order. These people are in no way inferior to the
Dutch as regards cleanliness; they wash and scrub their houses so well that
they are polished and shining like a looking-glass.
Yet, it would be self delusion to imagine that all things are exactly
equal in Benin and in Holland." (pg 111)

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by Nobody: 5:13pm On Jul 14, 2015
saddabm:
@dearpreye thank you for opening this thread may God bless
You and your family
Keep blessed.

Thank you for the inspiring words of prayer.

Kudos to all those who commented on or read through the thread. It was your contributions that made this thread worth the while.

Stay blessed. Keep reading. Keep growing. Keep observing. Information is money. It's health.
Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by Jhonnyboy(m): 5:14pm On Jul 14, 2015
nzeBiddle:
Americanah ~ Adichie. Currently on page 30. Been an awesome read thus far. Wonder why I never took a look in all this while

Wow I just finished it last week. It's awesome... But still can't be compared to half of a yellow sun. Also by adichie

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by Nobody: 5:15pm On Jul 14, 2015
crowther15:
Yh bro, this passage always touched me in the book " in the 15th century before colonialism
Indeed, the first Europeans to reach West and East
Africa by sea were the ones who indicated that in most respects African
development was comparable to that which they knew. To take but one
example, when the Dutch visited the city of Benin they described it
thus:
The town seems to be very great. When you enter into it, you go into a great
broad street, not paved, which seems to be seven or eight times broader than
the Warmoes street in Amsterdam....
The king’s palace is a collection of buildings which occupy as much space as
the town of Harlem, and which is enclosed with walls. There are numerous
apartments for the Prince’s ministers and fine galleries, most of which are as
big as those on the Exchange at Amsterdam. They are supported by wooden
pillars encased with copper, where their victories are depicted, and which are
carefully kept very clean.
The town is composed of thirty main streets, very straight and 120 feet wide,
apart from an infinity of small intersecting streets. The houses are close to one
another, arranged in good order. These people are in no way inferior to the
Dutch as regards cleanliness; they wash and scrub their houses so well that
they are polished and shining like a looking-glass.
Yet, it would be self delusion to imagine that all things are exactly
equal in Benin and in Holland." (pg 111)

And since then we've not seen the backs of the Whites in terms of development. SMH!
Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by Jhonnyboy(m): 5:16pm On Jul 14, 2015
I'm not sort of a book person but from reading this thread I've noted about 5 books am gonna get ASAP. I'VE About 1 month of not doing anything so why not invest my time into books. Thanks for this dearpreye

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by Nobody: 5:19pm On Jul 14, 2015
Jhonnyboy:
I'm not sort of a book person but from reading this thread I've noted about 5 books am gonna get ASAP. I'VE About 1 month of not doing anything so why not invest my time into books. Thanks for this dearpreye

You won't regret it. Just endeavour to get a book on an area you want to see improvement. Let's leave the celebs alone grin cheesy. They've built their lives; let's build ours. Thank you!
Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by VickyRotex(f): 5:31pm On Jul 14, 2015
Whynotthetruth:

That's good then...Like Op said readers are leaders not necessarily political leaders but more opinion leaders...Notwithstanding I am a timid man, but books have given me a little knowledge of everything...hence hardly can I ever find myself amidst people discussing any topic that's alien to me...Reading itself has an all encompassing merits on our mental capacity, stability, and adaptability... Keep it up babe!!!

Beautiful!!! I'm inspired. smiley smiley

Sometimes, all the inspirations we need to guide us can be successfully found in a simple book.
Saw this quote somewhere
"There is no end to education, it is not that you read a book, pass an examination and finish education. The whole process from the moment we are born to the process we die, is a process of learning. We read to be grow, and grow to fulfil" by Juddi Krishnamut (dont know I got the spelling correctly)

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by Whynotthetruth(m): 5:40pm On Jul 14, 2015
dearpreye:

Bro, you're a challenge to me. An encouragement. A beacon. A lighthouse of hope and purpose. An oasis of knowledge. Keep it up!

gringringrin Easy boss...I be learner for your side jare cheesy I look up to people like you ad infinitum
Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by VickyRotex(f): 5:41pm On Jul 14, 2015
Op, thanks for this thread. Learnt alot from it, noted down few books I'd love to read. I'm inspired. God Bless

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by Nobody: 5:41pm On Jul 14, 2015
VickyRotex:

Sometimes, all the inspirations we need to guide us can be successfully found in a simple book.
Saw this quote somewhere
"There is no end to education, it is not that you read a book, pass an examination and finish education. The whole process from the moment we are born to the process we die, is a process of learning. We read to be grow, and grow to fulfil" by Juddi Krishnamut (dont know I got the spelling correctly)

2 Likes

Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by ijekul(m): 5:43pm On Jul 14, 2015
dearpreye:

It's on marriage I suppose? Can a couple be happily ever after? What ya say?

Nt Really...It's about 2 people with different backgrounds and challenges trying to make their dreams a reality.Am really enjoying it

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by nzeBiddle(m): 5:44pm On Jul 14, 2015
Jhonnyboy:

Wow I just finished it last week. It's awesome... But still can't be compared to half of a yellow sun. Also by adichie

Oh how nice. And sure, half of a yellow sun was epic (read it a couple of months ago). Indeed Adichie's style's impressive - re: endless intrigues, especially. Would only be able to do a comparison of my own once I'm done with Americanah though. Cheers mate!

1 Like

Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by Nobody: 5:44pm On Jul 14, 2015
VickyRotex:
Op, thanks for this thread. Learnt alot from it, noted down few books I'd love to read. I'm inspired. God Bless

Thanks for the above encouraging words.

Thanks for being a part of the thread.

God bless you too. Shalom!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by AbbeyRuth: 5:47pm On Jul 14, 2015
Conspiracy of the rich by Robert Kiyosaki[quote author=dearpreye post=35560580]We've been repeatedly told that readers are leaders. Also, that he who doesn't read has a very little advantage over the one that cannot read. To read is to learn and grow. We won't stay long enough to experience all life has to offer. We need to read to learn from the lessons and experiences of others.

It's very saddening that in this age, despite the overwhelming abundance of information, a lot of us don't really study.

All the information we need to succeed in life has been written. Be it on money, marriage, health, business, family, success itself, religion. Name it. It's been written.

I'm currently reading THE ROAD LESS TRAVELLED, By Scott Peck. It's being an awesome read. The author talked on pleasure, suffering, discipline, delayed gratification, child training and religion.

I'll talk briefly on self gratification. It's the ability to forego today's even legitimate pleasure for tomorrow's gain. Without it, wealth, health and joy will elude the individual. No one can truly succeed without this vital ingredient of life. To delay gratification is to prioritise. To delay gratification is to always look at the bigger picture.

The future is hardly far away. It comes pretty quiver than we can imagine. Time hasn't waited for anyone. If we must live a happier tomorrow, we must be mature and brave enough to delay gratification. I'll encourage as many as possible to get a copy of this great book and travel in the mind of the author.

So, let's see which book you're currently reading. Any book. And don't forget to drop a line or two from it. Thanks.

Lalasticlala and Ishilove, please let's do justice to this thread. Readers are leaders.

Cc: SarahBabyxx, ideykwum, Whynotthetr

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by Ups01(m): 5:50pm On Jul 14, 2015

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by VickyRotex(f): 5:52pm On Jul 14, 2015
dearpreye:

Thanks for the above encouraging words.
Thanks for being a part of the thread.
God bless you too. Shalom!
Amen. You're welcome!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by Wroxxane: 5:54pm On Jul 14, 2015
Flesh and Blood by Patricia Cornwell

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by Whynotthetruth(m): 5:57pm On Jul 14, 2015
VickyRotex:

Saw this quote somewhere

Babe, I am a living testimony to the miracle of reading...Abraham Lincoln said..."The things I want to know are in books. My best friend is the man who'll get me a book I [haven't] read."

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (34) (Reply)

The Day The World Ended / #my Life / Tormented

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.