Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,644 members, 7,955,342 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 11:25 PM

Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child - Family (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child (91338 Views)

Is Low Self Esteem A Result Of Parental Upbringing Or Personality? / Parental Guide:the Rape Of Teenage Girls And Minors In Nigeria / Bringing Up A Multilingual(4) Kids (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (44) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Tgirl4real(f): 10:09pm On Apr 06, 2009
@ Ebony, I can see u are desperately in need of a solution. Lol
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Hauwa1: 10:35pm On Apr 06, 2009
question:

a coursemate intro me to his wife last year. they have a young baby of abt 11month. i have been around him when his dad brings him to team meeting etc. sometime ago the mom came to pick him and as they were leaving, i jokingly said to the baby ''hey you leaving baby, the mom handed him to me just for the goodbyes. then i jokingly ask the baby if he wants to stay with me, mommy can go you stay with me etc. while he daddy was laughing, the mom who was standing close started telling me not to do so. she added it will make the baby confused. she was a bit upset lol.  i looked at her and told her when i do that to my little cousin, he always smile. she kept quite, ummm

question is, will teasing make a baby confused? will my joke make the baby confused? Back at home my mom's friend always do the same to my lil bros and they always give baby laughs. this one come pass me. please o e gba mi grin because i no for all this oyinbo wahala.

seems whites unlike blacks are really picky abt raising kids?
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Nobody: 11:35pm On Apr 06, 2009
*Hauwa*:

question:

a coursemate intro me to his wife last year. they have a young baby of abt 11month. i have been around him when his dad brings him to team meeting etc. sometime ago the mom came to pick him and as they were leaving, i jokingly said to the baby ''hey you leaving baby, the mom handed him to me just for the goodbyes. then i jokingly ask the baby if he wants to stay with me, mommy can go you stay with me etc. while he daddy was laughing, the mom who was standing close started telling me not to do so. she added it will make the baby confused. she was a bit upset lol.  i looked at her and told her when i do that to my little cousin, he always smile. she kept quite, ummm

question is, will teasing make a baby confused? will my joke make the baby confused? Back at home my mom's friend always do the same to my lil bros and they always give baby laughs. this one come pass me. please o e gba mi grin because i no for all this oyinbo wahala.

seems whites unlike blacks are really picky abt raising kids?
Very good question. . . .one, I have no define answer for.

I, too, joke like that and I haven't witnessed any state of confusion. Usually the mother just laughs while the baby acts like he can't understand a stitch of what I said. And usually, they don't.

I think the mom is over reacting undecided Jealousy, maybe
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Nobody: 11:35pm On Apr 06, 2009
Tgirl4real:

@ Ebony, I can see u are desperately in need of a solution. Lol
You fit gimme a solution grin grin tongue
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by ThiefOfHearts(f): 12:52am On Apr 07, 2009
lmao probably thinks you wanna steal her "precious" white baby for the black market grin
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Hauwa1: 1:27am On Apr 07, 2009
you think so? really am trying to understand. whenever it comes into my mind, i have this funny feelings (did i do something wrong kind of feeling). don't want them to blame me for their baby's nightmare. i wonder what she is telling her friends undecided

ummm still on food, can babies be fed rice and stew?
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Nobody: 1:31am On Apr 07, 2009
*Hauwa*:

you think so? really am trying to understand. whenever it comes into my mind, i have this funny feelings (did i do something wrong kind of feeling). don't want them to blame me for their baby's nightmare. i wonder what she is telling her friends undecided
What did you do wrong?
You did nothing wrong.
She was exaggerating. wink
At 11 months, baby doesn't even know what you're saying.

*Hauwa*:

ummm still on food, can babies be fed rice and stew?
Yes, if below 18 months, you gotta chew the rice for them
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Hauwa1: 1:37am On Apr 07, 2009
what? chew food for a baby?? eleda mi o shocked grin chew the food and put it in the baby's mouth? is that okay?

what abt cooking the rice to be sooooo soft? can they digest that?
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Nobody: 1:40am On Apr 07, 2009
*Hauwa*:

what? chew food for a baby?? eleda mi o  shocked grin chew the food and put it in the baby's mouth? is that okay?

what abt cooking the rice to be sooooo soft? can they digest that?

Lol, are you serious? wetin dey surprise you? ewoooo, all these to be mothers  grin grin
One is even scared to use her mouth to suck the mucous out of her baby's nose.

Chewing is okay. . . .it'd be like the baby's Gerber food wink
Easier for them to swallow. . . .but don't make it all 90% salive 10% food na. eww. moderation.
Do the same for their meat.

Yea, you can cook it soft and mash it too.

But ask your Ped. what kinda rice is good for your baby. We don't want the baby consuming too much starch now.  wink
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by sistawoman: 3:32pm On Apr 07, 2009
You can also use a food processer to chop and puree the food or a good blender.
Here in the states we use baby oatmeal and we add that to thier bottles and all of thier food to give it more substance.

About the confussing the babys. . . that is rubbish. The baby does not understand a word of what you are saying. The baby is just smiling at you so that you will pass him/her back to thier mom.

Even if the baby did understand you, exactly what were you confussing the baby about.
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Sissy3(f): 8:34pm On Apr 07, 2009
hi ladies

really missed y'all sad sad
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Nobody: 8:50pm On Apr 07, 2009
~Sissy~:

hi ladies

really missed y'all sad sad
Hope your week is going great.

Nothing amiss right?

You were missed too o wink
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Sissy3(f): 9:28pm On Apr 07, 2009
Toyinrayo huh? shocked shocked

i thought Toyinrayo was sentenced to life imprisonment? who paroled her? so does this mean that Ebony-Silk is now in early retirement? grin grin tongue

my week is super busy, lots of loads to handle sad,

how is yours?
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Nobody: 10:33pm On Apr 07, 2009
~Sissy~:

Toyinrayo huh? shocked shocked

i thought Toyinrayo was sentenced to life imprisonment? who paroled her? so does this mean that Ebony-Silk is now in early retirement? grin grin tongue

my week is super busy, lots of loads to handle sad,

how is yours?
LOL, Luckily, I got "people" grin grin to bail me out tongue

Eyah, don't stress yourself o

Mine's super fine wink
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Tgirl4real(f): 4:24am On Apr 08, 2009
Hello guys. U were missed Sissy.

@ d woman is just uncomfy and scared u may snatch her baby since u dont have one yet. Lol
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Sissy3(f): 8:47am On Apr 08, 2009
hi tgirl wink b really busy lately sad @ ebony, i dey try to control the stress level but it is hard oo embarassed

@ hawua on the child being confused?

i couldn't have said it better than all the ladies here have. they hit it.

as for the foods, solid foods may normally be added to a baby's diet when the baby is about 6 months old. a baby's physical readiness to handle foods develop in many small steps. for example, the ability to swallow solid food develops at round 4 to 6 months, and experience with solid food at that time helps to develop swallowing ability by desensitizing the gag reflex. later still, when a baby can sit up, can handle finger foods, and is teething, hard crackers and other hard finger foods may be introduced. such foods promote the developmental of manual dexterity and control of the jaw muscles. note: they can choke on these foods, however, so an adult should keep a watchful eye during the learning process.

depending on readiness, the infant is developmentally ready when he or she can sit uptight with support and can control head movements. solids should not be introduced too early because infants are more likely to develop allergies to them in the early months. but all babies are different, and the program of food additions should depend on the individual baby, not on any rigid program or schedule. the addition of foods to a baby's diet should be governed by three considerations: the baby's nutrient needs, the physical readiness to handle different forms of foods, and the need to detect and control allergic reactions. so if you are going to give him/her eba, make sure that it is super soft and covered every well with soup. and make the balls little bitty.
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Sissy3(f): 9:00am On Apr 08, 2009
this usually my table

Age (months)                            Food Additions

4 to 6                                         iron fortified rice cereal, followed by other cereals baby can swallow non liquid foods now

6 to 8                                         mashed vegetables and fruits, infant breads and crackers, unsweetened fruit juices

8 to 10                                      protein foods (soft cheeses, yogurt, tofu, mashed cooked beans,  finely chopped meat, fish, chicken, egg yolk), toast, 
                                                  teething crackers (for merging teeths) soft cooked vegetables and fruits

10 to 12                                     whole egg (allergies are less likely now), whole milk (at 1 yr)
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by owoseyi: 2:09pm On Apr 08, 2009
tgirlfor real.
what is my offense that make you to lock my topic- cause and cure for late marriage.
pls be real
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Nobody: 4:29pm On Apr 08, 2009
~Sissy~:

sad @ ebony, i dey try to control the stress level but it is hard oo embarassed

@ hawua on the child being confused?

i couldn't have said it better than all the ladies here have. they hit it.

as for the foods, solid foods may normally be added to a baby's diet when the baby is about 6 months old. a baby's physical readiness to handle foods develop in many small steps. for example, the ability to swallow solid food develops at round 4 to 6 months, and experience with solid food at that time helps to develop swallowing ability by desensitizing the gag reflex. later still, when a baby can sit up, can handle finger foods, and is teething, hard crackers and other hard finger foods may be introduced. such foods promote the developmental of manual dexterity and control of the jaw muscles. note: they can choke on these foods, however, so an adult should keep a watchful eye during the learning process.

depending on readiness, the infant is developmentally ready when he or she can sit uptight with support and can control head movements. solids should not be introduced too early because infants are more likely to develop allergies to them in the early months. but all babies are different, and the program of food additions should depend on the individual baby, not on any rigid program or schedule. the addition of foods to a baby's diet should be governed by three considerations: the baby's nutrient needs, the physical readiness to handle different forms of foods, and the need to detect and control allergic reactions. so if you are going to give him/her eba, make sure that it is super soft and covered every well with soup. and make the balls little bitty.

Nice. . . .see why I missed your advice?

You always validate my point wink
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Nobody: 4:30pm On Apr 08, 2009
@SIssy

But she's asking about naija food, though
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Hauwa1: 5:16pm On Apr 08, 2009
and if you are going to give the baby rice, make it super soft and not grind with your own teeth right?

should Milo or Bournvita tea be given?
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Nobody: 5:30pm On Apr 08, 2009
*Hauwa*:

and if you are going to give the baby rice, make it super soft and not grind with your own teeth right?

should Milo or Bournvita tea be given?
I like cooking Jasmine rice. soft and scenty grin grin
That's what my cutie pie eats with me. . . . kiss kiss

Before I head out of the house, I make sure I cook breakfast for the house.
But special one for Tomibobo (his nckname grin grin ). . . .He likes Milo with concentrated milk and bread.

So, I see nothing wrong with it wink
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by sistawoman: 5:33pm On Apr 08, 2009
Question for the group:

At what age do you have the "sex" talk with your boys and with your girls?

With your girls at what age do you have "body change talk"?  Did you use any tools or books to help you.  My pedetrican suggested "the care and keeping of you".

I did learn until yesterday (she had her physical) that a full line of pubic hair grows (all the way across) on a girl before she gets her first period and that my daughtar is not anywhere as close as I thought she was.  And that my 11 year old son has not hit puberty yet and the doctor found this out by examining his balls and penis.  So i dont have to worry about that right now.
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Hauwa1: 5:39pm On Apr 08, 2009
Lady Silk, Milo at what age? and with sugar?

i have to get idea now for the future. who said NL is not a learning place grin
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Nobody: 5:46pm On Apr 08, 2009
sistawoman:

Question for the group:

At what age do you have the "sex" talk with your boys and with your girls?

we already discussed this, but I'll give you a summary.
Just incase you want to know what Sissy said, look on the recent pages.

I think it should be around middle school. No elementary school kid should be knowing anything abt sex, talkless of doing it. undecided

sistawoman:

With your girls at what age do you have "body change talk"? Did you use any tools or books to help you. My pedetrican suggested "the care and keeping of you".
You should def tell them before the onset of age 13.

When I had mines, I thought I was bleeding, I thought I was going to die.
I wrote a "I love you mommy" note down, just incase something goes wrong grin grin
No child should be that frighten.

You don't have to read a book to educate your child about keeping their body clean and sef during the "body change". You're a woman, are you not?
Have you not gone through what they are to go through?

Experience is the best teacher. Use your experience to educate them wink

sistawoman:

I did learn until yesterday (she had her physical) that a full line of pubic hair grows (all the way across) on a girl before she gets her first period and that my daughtar is not anywhere as close as I thought she was. And that my 11 year old son has not hit puberty yet and the doctor found this out by examining his balls and penis. So i dont have to worry about that right now.
Why are you fretting?

LOL, we all do not have same puberty time.

If there was something abnormal about what your Ped. observed, she would have cautioned you about it.

Environment, Genetic and diets are all factors that affect our body changes.

Your kids did not eat exactly what you ate, neither did they live in your childhood enviroment, so expect some change soon wink
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Nobody: 5:47pm On Apr 08, 2009
*Hauwa*:

Lady Silk, Milo at what age? and with sugar?

i have to get idea now for the future. who said NL is not a learning place grin
lmao, am not that good o, I dey learn too.

He turned two recently. . . . check my profile kiss kiss

I use brown sugar for him. More healthy wink
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Nobody: 5:51pm On Apr 08, 2009
Hauwa, I dey go out.

I'll ttyl wink
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by sistawoman: 6:04pm On Apr 08, 2009
I have had the sex talk with my son but am really freting over the change of body talk with my daughter.

i dont know why it scares me.

I wonder if other parents have gone thru that feeling.

When I have the change of body talk with her dont i also have to have the 'sex' talk? I feel like they go hand in hand.
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Nobody: 7:12pm On Apr 08, 2009
sistawoman:

I have had the sex talk with my son but am really freting over the change of body talk with my daughter.

i dont know why it scares me.

I wonder if other parents have gone thru that feeling.

When I have the change of body talk with her dont i also have to have the 'sex' talk? I feel like they go hand in hand.

I think it scares you because you know girls reach puberty faster and are more curious about the S word cheesy cheesy

Body change for girls are more complicated. You gotta tell them abt the boob growth, the hair down there, etc.

Well, I'm not a mother and I haven't gone thru the process of explaining about body change, so I can't exactly feel your fear.

I don't know, just go ahead with it.

Try to assure her gently that it's a normal process, also try to instill in her fear of what you'd do if she goes about discovering anything she shouldn't.

This is a battle of Nature Vs. nurture. (What you teach her at home Vs. what she learns outside). So do your job and do it right smiley
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Nobody: 7:28pm On Apr 08, 2009
For Nigerian mothers or any mother experienced in this. . . .well, it's being an awful month for my family at home (tears). . . one of our baby dies from choking. . . .

Do you guys remember when our mothers used to turn their children upside down to feed them pap (it's called "jo omo l'onje (i think)) . . . . baby choked on the pap. . . .few mins later, died. (tears)

Anywaz, would it be recommended to try such process?

Question 2: What do one immediately do when a baby starts choking. . . .no, am so not trying the Heimlich Maneuver cry cry
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Hauwa1: 8:14pm On Apr 08, 2009
checked your profile, I'm not seeing anything na
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Hauwa1: 8:19pm On Apr 08, 2009
am so sorry to hear that, am so sorry. where did it happen? in nigeria? oh!! cry
was the mom force feeding the baby like our mom did?
i read babies should not be force fed.

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (44) (Reply)

The Pretty Banker Who Married A Danfo Driver: True Love Story / Lady Thanks Her Husband For Marrying Her (Photos) / My Husband's Pride Wants To Ruin Our Home

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.