Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,126 members, 7,814,942 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:42 AM

Nigeria Football(league & National Teams) In The '80s & 90's: Ask Ya Questions - Sports (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nigeria Football(league & National Teams) In The '80s & 90's: Ask Ya Questions (14178 Views)

Throwback Pic Of Stephen Keshi, Peter Rufai, Others In The 80s / Most Successful National Teams In Africa Nations Cup / Official NPFL Thread. (nigerian Professional Football League) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Football(league & National Teams) In The '80s & 90's: Ask Ya Questions by HNIC(m): 8:59am On Mar 23, 2009
~Sauron~:

Says who??
Mutiu Adepoju was undoubtedly the original headmaster.
His aerial prowess extends beyond the shores of the Nigerian league. . . . .He took it to Saudi 89 where he scored a smasher against USA in the semis.
Scoring against Kasey Keller in 1989 is like scoring against 5 Petr Cechs in goal.
Well, its debatable.
Unfortunately, Wakilu couldn't do much internationally, as he didnt play age group competitions and Nigeria didn't make it to the world cup, then
He was restricted to Africa and the local league where he was the pivot in attack for Super Stationery Stores.

Next Question.
Arguably, Nigeria's best goalie, Peter Rufai left the shores of this country in the mid 80s to play for Dragons of Benin Republic.
1) Which local club was his last?Hint-The club was based in the Old Oyo state
2.) What is his nickname?
3.)What year was he first called to Nigeria's national team?
Re: Nigeria Football(league & National Teams) In The '80s & 90's: Ask Ya Questions by ow11(m): 9:24am On Mar 23, 2009
HNIC:

Well, its debatable.
Unfortunately, Wakilu couldn't do much internationally, as he didnt play age group competitions and Nigeria didn't make it to the world cup, then
He was restricted to Africa and the local league where he was the pivot in attack for Super Stationery Stores.

Next Question.
Arguably, Nigeria's best goalie, Peter Rufai left the shores of this country in the mid 80s to play for Dragons of Benin Republic.
1) Which local club was his last?Hint-The club was based in the Old Oyo state
2.) What is his nickname?
3.)What year was he first called to Nigeria's national team?

1. Scorpions
2. Dodo Mayana
3. 1978
Re: Nigeria Football(league & National Teams) In The '80s & 90's: Ask Ya Questions by MatZODryd: 9:32am On Mar 23, 2009
Lol
Re: Nigeria Football(league & National Teams) In The '80s & 90's: Ask Ya Questions by HNIC(m): 9:50am On Mar 23, 2009
ow11:

1. Scorpions
2. Dodo Mayana
3. 1978
Good try
1)Femo Scorpions of Eruwa
3.)1981
Re: Nigeria Football(league & National Teams) In The '80s & 90's: Ask Ya Questions by ow11(m): 10:19am On Mar 23, 2009
HNIC:

Good try
1)Femo Scorpions of Eruwa
3.)1981

1. Femo Scorpions should get 1/2 point

2. Didn't Peter Rufai play in the 1980 Nations cup
Re: Nigeria Football(league & National Teams) In The '80s & 90's: Ask Ya Questions by HNIC(m): 10:48am On Mar 23, 2009
ow11:

1. Femo Scorpions should get 1/2 point

2. Didn't Peter Rufai play in the 1980 Nations cup
1.) grin

2.)No, our goalkeepers were Best Ogedegbe and Emmanuel Okala
Re: Nigeria Football(league & National Teams) In The '80s & 90's: Ask Ya Questions by Akolawole(m): 2:58pm On Mar 23, 2009
~Sauron~:

I said Dimeji Lawal was instrumental to 3SC's revival after relegating in 1987.
He brought em back to the Division 1 in 1989.
Read ma comments carefully, Akola. . . . .He wasn't part of the team that relegated but he brought about the revival of 3SC AFTER they RELEGATED.

Akola, don't try me. . . . . grin

Son,

Anytime you encounter members of the Elders council discussing olden days, just get pen, paper and apoti and learn. grin

No twisting and messing around.

Has Dimeji ever played for shooting stars? Capital Nooooooo.

Maybe after Abacha died.

Mutiu brought Sutin back to 1st division.

Gbam!!!!!
Re: Nigeria Football(league & National Teams) In The '80s & 90's: Ask Ya Questions by tkb417(m): 7:56pm On Mar 23, 2009
Dimeji Lawal didnt play for Shooting but his brother (kokoro) did
Re: Nigeria Football(league & National Teams) In The '80s & 90's: Ask Ya Questions by Akolawole(m): 8:10pm On Mar 23, 2009
tkb417:

Dimeji Lawal didnt play for Shooting but his brother (kokoro) did

Let see how Jackal twist this now.
Re: Nigeria Football(league & National Teams) In The '80s & 90's: Ask Ya Questions by Sauron1: 9:11pm On Mar 23, 2009
Akolawole:

Son,
Anytime you encounter members of the Elders council discussing olden days, just get pen, paper and apoti and learn. grin
No twisting and messing around.

See Akola wey dem born yesterday dey mess around with ma texas-sized football intelligence

Has Dimeji ever played for shooting stars? Capital Nooooooo.
Maybe after Abacha died.
Mutiu brought Sutin back to 1st division.

Dimeji never played for 3SC?? Are you sure of this??
U are talking trash, abeg.
Majority of the Saudi 89 team were plucked in Ibadan. . . . . .As a matter of fact, their camp was based in Ibadan.
Players like Mutiu, Jimoh Balogun and Dimeji Lawal were all 3SC players. . . . . .Tunde Disu recruited most of the Yoruba players from 3S

Now answer ma question before u get me ANGRY!!! angry angry angry angry
Re: Nigeria Football(league & National Teams) In The '80s & 90's: Ask Ya Questions by Akolawole(m): 9:22pm On Mar 23, 2009
~Sauron~:

See Akola wey dem born yesterday dey mess around with ma texas-sized football intelligence

Majority of the Saudi 89 team were plucked in Ibadan. . . . . .As a matter of fact, their camp was based in Ibadan.
Players like Mutiu, Jimoh Balogun and Dimeji Lawal were all 3SC players. . . . . .Tunde Disu recruited most of the Yoruba players from 3S

Son, i think i "overknow" everything about virtually all Ibadan born and ibadan reared players.

(Nonsense no 2) Jimoh balogun has never played for shooting stars.

You better go and sleep or Retire from this thread grin This is getting embarassing

Dr Kit will tell you the history of Jimoh(Tyson-Emil Heskey) Balogun. But if he refuses, i will give you the info. grin
Re: Nigeria Football(league & National Teams) In The '80s & 90's: Ask Ya Questions by DrKitaun(m): 9:26pm On Mar 23, 2009
~Sauron~:

maga don finally pay !!!

abeg talk wetin u know naw embarassed

grin grin grin
Re: Nigeria Football(league & National Teams) In The '80s & 90's: Ask Ya Questions by Akolawole(m): 9:30pm On Mar 23, 2009
@Sharoun

Al these cannot be gotten from video clips.

Only the deep can call to the deep grin

Gbam!
Re: Nigeria Football(league & National Teams) In The '80s & 90's: Ask Ya Questions by Sauron1: 9:36pm On Mar 23, 2009
Akolawole:

Son, i think i "overknow" everything about virtually all Ibadan born and ibadan reared players.
(Nonsense no 2) Jimoh balogun has never played for shooting stars.

U know nuthing about Jimoh Balogun, abeg!!!
Just because i mentioned it earlier and you jumped on the issue like you know him from Adam.
I am talking about games i saw, interviews, goals and all the qualifying games in 1989.

You better go and sleep or Retire from this thread grin This is getting embarassing

Retire ke?? I asked you a 5-min question and you have not replied in 24 hrs.
Nigeria played Portugal in Riyadh. . . . .Who scored for Portugal in that game?? grin grin grin
U dunno the answer and you are talking about schooling me in local footie. . . .Akola, go and take a breather.

Dr Kit will tell you the history of Jimoh(Tyson-Emil Heskey) Balogun. But if he refuses, i will give you the information. grin

Dr. Kit?? Of all people you coulda mentioned??
The same KIT i was schooling about Canada 87 S/final game between Nigeria and Italy??
Razorr is more knowledgeable about Naija footie than Kit.
The Dr started watching footie after MKO Abiola died in Prison. grin grin grin grin
Re: Nigeria Football(league & National Teams) In The '80s & 90's: Ask Ya Questions by Akolawole(m): 9:47pm On Mar 23, 2009
I can understand your agidi. Remember i am from the same state but i kule when need be.

Liberty stadium was my second home at that time. My friend and I was almost arrested because of jimoh's issue but for Coach Tunde Disu.

Were you still insisting that Dimeji and Jimoh played for 3sc?

Dr Kit will floor you anyday even Bagoma will grin
Re: Nigeria Football(league & National Teams) In The '80s & 90's: Ask Ya Questions by Sauron1: 9:55pm On Mar 23, 2009
Akolawole:

I can understand your agidi. Remember i am from the same state but i kule when need be.
Liberty stadium was my second home at that time. My friend and I was almost arrested because of jimoh's issue but for Coach Tunde Disu.

Liberty Stadium?? Are you sure??
As at the time these boys were blossoming for Flying Eagles, Liberty Stadium was not in use. . . .Akola.
All the qualifiers were played in Adamasingba stadium. wink wink wink

Dr Kit will floor you anyday even Bagoma will grin

Wetin Dr. Kit sabi?? He started watching football in 1998(After Naija lost to Paraguay in a group game). grin grin grin
Bagoma will floor me on Arsenal issues but not football in general.
Re: Nigeria Football(league & National Teams) In The '80s & 90's: Ask Ya Questions by Akolawole(m): 10:21pm On Mar 23, 2009
~Sauron~:

As at the time these boys were blossoming for Flying Eagles, Liberty Stadium was not in use. . . .Akola.

As at then, in the complex we have 3 football pitches;

1) The mainbowl which is hardly used for practice session but for matches

2) Another one called the main practice pitch which is just about 5 minutes. and

3) The third one is called arisekola one[ Not owned by Alhaji but somehow named such because the exit leads to Alhaji's old "estate" .

Home team uses the second one while away team make use of the Arisekola one.

N.B : All these info are correct as at 17 years ago[ which was the last time i went to Liberty]

Disu 's boys uses the second one as shooting stars has moved down to Adamasingba.
Re: Nigeria Football(league & National Teams) In The '80s & 90's: Ask Ya Questions by Akolawole(m): 10:28pm On Mar 23, 2009
~Sauron~:

1) As at the time these boys were blossoming for Flying Eagles, Liberty Stadium was not in use. .

2) Wetin Dr. Kit sabi?? He started watching football in 1998(After Naija lost to Paraguay in a group game). grin grin grin
Bagoma will floor me on Arsenal issues but not football in general.

1) Do you know that they did not just stop using liberty like that?

2) We are not talking about general footie but i knew both of them will school you in naija olden days.

FYI Suprisingly, jimoh Balogun plays for Julius Berger.

Please keep that in your diary grin
Re: Nigeria Football(league & National Teams) In The '80s & 90's: Ask Ya Questions by Sauron1: 10:32pm On Mar 23, 2009
Akolawole:

Home team uses the second one while away team make use of the Arisekola one.
N.B : All these information are correct as at 17 years ago[ which was the last time i went to Liberty]
Disu 's boys uses the second one as shooting stars has moved down to Adamasingba.

I am saying there was a time Liverty Stadium was not in use for any football match between 88 and 89. . . .
Disu's boys played all their games in Adamasingba stadium.
Re: Nigeria Football(league & National Teams) In The '80s & 90's: Ask Ya Questions by Akolawole(m): 10:57pm On Mar 23, 2009
~Sauron~:

I am saying there was a time Liverty Stadium was not in use for any football match between 88 and 89. . . .
Disu's boys played all their games in Adamasingba stadium.

1) Have you concur on Dimeji and Jimoh one before i clarify this for you?
Re: Nigeria Football(league & National Teams) In The '80s & 90's: Ask Ya Questions by Sauron1: 11:01pm On Mar 23, 2009
Akolawole:

1) Have you concur on Dimeji and Jimoh one before i clarify this for you?

I have not. . . . . .Those boys were all Ibadan boys.
Re: Nigeria Football(league & National Teams) In The '80s & 90's: Ask Ya Questions by Akolawole(m): 11:04pm On Mar 23, 2009
~Sauron~:

I have not. , Those boys were all Ibadan boys.

The bold statement meaning what?
Re: Nigeria Football(league & National Teams) In The '80s & 90's: Ask Ya Questions by Akolawole(m): 11:05pm On Mar 23, 2009
I miss BolaOni here o.
Re: Nigeria Football(league & National Teams) In The '80s & 90's: Ask Ya Questions by Sauron1: 11:06pm On Mar 23, 2009
Akolawole:

The bold statement meaning what?

Meaning they all had affiliations with 3SC.

When will u answer ma question??
Akola, did u watch Saudi 89??
Re: Nigeria Football(league & National Teams) In The '80s & 90's: Ask Ya Questions by Akolawole(m): 11:19pm On Mar 23, 2009
~Sauron~:

1) Meaning they all had affiliations wit[b][/b]h 3SC.

2) Akola, did u watch Saudi 89??

1) E ba mi o gbogbo eniyan!

2) Me no watch am o grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Nigeria Football(league & National Teams) In The '80s & 90's: Ask Ya Questions by Sauron1: 11:23pm On Mar 23, 2009
Akolawole:

1) E ba mi o gbogbo eniyan!

2) Me no watch am o grin grin grin grin grin grin

U never holla. grin grin grin grin grin
I am your nemesis on this thread and i am cocksure i know more about 80s/90s footie more than u do.
Re: Nigeria Football(league & National Teams) In The '80s & 90's: Ask Ya Questions by Akolawole(m): 2:31am On Mar 24, 2009
~Sauron~:

U never holla. grin grin grin grin grin
I am your nemesis on this thread and i am cocksure[b] i know more about 80s/90s footie more than u do.[/b]

Its very obvious you knew quite a lot in 80's & 90's more than me grin

And you got all my questions wrong
Re: Nigeria Football(league & National Teams) In The '80s & 90's: Ask Ya Questions by HNIC(m): 9:40am On Mar 24, 2009
@ sauron
Tunde Charity too was in that team?
Di d he play for Shooting Stars also? grin grin grin
Re: Nigeria Football(league & National Teams) In The '80s & 90's: Ask Ya Questions by DrKitaun(m): 10:57am On Mar 24, 2009
its pointless arguing with Chacal that wasnt even born when I watched my 1st World cup grin grin

imagine this ignoramus scumtwat arguing about a match that I remember vividly well was played when I had exams the next day and my pops had found out that I wasnt reading nor preparing well . . .took me in , locked me in and I still managed to escape to go and watch the match that evening, IDIOT SAYS THE MATCH WAS PLAYED IN THE WEE HOURS OF THE MORNING embarassed
Re: Nigeria Football(league & National Teams) In The '80s & 90's: Ask Ya Questions by Akolawole(m): 11:24am On Mar 24, 2009
HNIC:

@ sauron
Tunde Charity too was in that team?
Di d he play for Shooting Stars also? grin grin grin

Abi o!

He might even say Christopher Nwosu( poularly called Oyin in Ibadan), an ex-immanuel college student play for shooting too. This is a guy that was raised in ibadan. The parents used to live in U.I area.

Imagine him asking me about Saudi 89. What an insult! grin

@HNIC & Dr Kit

There is this handsome guy who plays for Stores or Berger.He's from old ondo state. An attacking midfielder. Did you remember his name? i was trying remember him yesterday. He used to do half-patin grin hairstyle sometimes.
Re: Nigeria Football(league & National Teams) In The '80s & 90's: Ask Ya Questions by Akolawole(m): 11:34am On Mar 24, 2009
@HNIC and Dr Kitaun

Please check this, post #1

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-27374.0.html

Quote from Jackal_Sharoun in 2006

@ Bolaoni,

Don't know so much about 'em days but i think Leventis United was the toast in those days.
I watched some old tapes and Leventis United FC was like Man Utd.
Uwem Ekarika and Andrew Uwe were too brilliant to be playing in the Nigerian league.
Those players would blame themselves today for being born in the wrong century.
A player of Ekarika's quality would bench Samuel Etoo at Barcelona.
Re: Nigeria Football(league & National Teams) In The '80s & 90's: Ask Ya Questions by DrKitaun(m): 11:48am On Mar 24, 2009
seriously no one needs take Chacal serious . . .

have u forgotten how he used to take YIM lessons from us those early days ?

Dayokanu and TKB would school him perfectly in this . . . grin  grin

@Akola

which era are u talking about ?

Ajibade Babalade/Collins Ebitimi of Stores  undecided

or them CHIJIOKE EJIOGU/ Shuaibu Momodu era of Berger  grin

OR RATHER THE AIYEGBENI OR YEKINI PERIOD IN BERGER grin

seriously I LOVED STORES AND LEVENTIS TOO MUCH WAY BACK THEN !!!  grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Again, Naomi Osaka Pulls Out Of Wimbledon But Will Return For The Olympics / Yakubu Joins Reading, Ideye To Qatar / Nigeria's D'tigers Defeats China 74-64 In Stankovic Cup

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.