Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,138 members, 7,814,981 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:38 AM

Nigeria Football(league & National Teams) In The '80s & 90's: Ask Ya Questions - Sports (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nigeria Football(league & National Teams) In The '80s & 90's: Ask Ya Questions (14179 Views)

Throwback Pic Of Stephen Keshi, Peter Rufai, Others In The 80s / Most Successful National Teams In Africa Nations Cup / Official NPFL Thread. (nigerian Professional Football League) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Football(league & National Teams) In The '80s & 90's: Ask Ya Questions by Nobody: 7:18am On Mar 27, 2009
Akola,

Meeen,that question is hard.
I can't remember.
I suspect he played for stores,but I'm not so sure,
Ol' boy,you be older school oh.
Abeg,give answer.
Re: Nigeria Football(league & National Teams) In The '80s & 90's: Ask Ya Questions by akinalabi(m): 10:10am On Mar 28, 2009
How did I not see this thread? grin

I dont even know where to join in?
Re: Nigeria Football(league & National Teams) In The '80s & 90's: Ask Ya Questions by Akolawole(m): 3:09pm On Mar 30, 2009
@Akin

This is ya thread.

Old school educating younger and DSTV guys?

@Eastbay

All my questions are directed at Sharoun but up till now no response yet.

I can give him 100 questions that he wont even be able to log on to Nairaland for weeks grin

@Sharoun

3sc played in one african country sometimes ago. It was a club competition which is a two-legged affair. They went to one african country to play one of the legs. They received one of the most inhuman treatment in football history. Sohoting stars delegation was headed by a Prominent Nigerian. He was about to be murdered when somebody told the thugs that if they kill the "man", Nigeria will "clear-off" their country. On hearing this they stopped.

1) Name the country where the problem arose?

2) What is the name of that prominent Nigeria?

3) Which competition were they playing?

Good luck.

Clue

"Yerepe" was freely thrown on 3SC players
Re: Nigeria Football(league & National Teams) In The '80s & 90's: Ask Ya Questions by HNIC(m): 3:44pm On Mar 30, 2009
@ Akola
You wan kill Sauron shocked shocked
I know the answer.
But let's wait for him to respond!
Re: Nigeria Football(league & National Teams) In The '80s & 90's: Ask Ya Questions by Akolawole(m): 3:55pm On Mar 30, 2009
I am waiting for him as well. grin
Re: Nigeria Football(league & National Teams) In The '80s & 90's: Ask Ya Questions by Moyola(f): 6:29pm On Mar 30, 2009
@ OP

What's the name of that player that died while playing? undecided I heard 1 story lyk dhat shaa! tongue
Re: Nigeria Football(league & National Teams) In The '80s & 90's: Ask Ya Questions by Sauron1: 6:57pm On Mar 30, 2009
Akolawole:

@Sharoun

3sc played in one african country sometimes ago. It was a club competition which is a two-legged affair. They went to one african country to play one of the legs. They received one of the most inhuman treatment in football history. Sohoting stars delegation was headed by a Prominent Nigerian. He was about to be murdered when somebody told the thugs that if they kill the "man", Nigeria will "clear-off" their country. On hearing this they stopped.

This is the easiest question i have had to answer in years.

1) Ghana(Ashanti Kotoko)

2) Lekan Salami

3) Cup winners cup.
Re: Nigeria Football(league & National Teams) In The '80s & 90's: Ask Ya Questions by akinalabi(m): 9:58pm On Mar 30, 2009
Akolawole:

@Akin

This is ya thread.

Old school educating younger and DSTV guys?

To be honest, its tough for everyone. Back then, one could
not monitor many teams at the same time.

In this day and age, you can monitor Utd, Chelsea, Real,
Barca, Arsenal all at the same time and suggest their
line up week in week out.

Then, one could not say for instance, who was playing
left back for Calabar Rovers so no be small thing.

But I'll do my best for Shooting.

My favourite seasons were the 1992 (Caf Cup), 1994
(Harris and Udi Combo), 1996 (Champions cup run).
Re: Nigeria Football(league & National Teams) In The '80s & 90's: Ask Ya Questions by Akolawole(m): 12:58am On Mar 31, 2009
akinalabi:

To be honest, its tough for everyone. Back then, one could
not monitor many teams at the same time.

God bless you.

It was very difficult then.

I knew about few clubs then but i can not know off-the-field stuffs.

What a pool of talents we got in those days!
Re: Nigeria Football(league & National Teams) In The '80s & 90's: Ask Ya Questions by Akolawole(m): 1:02am On Mar 31, 2009
~Sauron~:

This is the easiest question i have had to answer in years.

1) Ghana(Ashanti Kotoko)

2) Lekan Salami

3) Cup winners cup.

It is indeed the easiest question ever but you got the three wrong

On on earth am i going to ask questions relating to Late Chief Lekan salami when i knew he was probably the only prominent person in 3sc people like you knew.
Re: Nigeria Football(league & National Teams) In The '80s & 90's: Ask Ya Questions by Nobody: 8:23am On Mar 31, 2009
Akola,

I'll try.

1>DR Congo (Motema pembe)
2>Not so sure,so i won't answer
3>CAF Champions League

how did i do?
Re: Nigeria Football(league & National Teams) In The '80s & 90's: Ask Ya Questions by Remii(m): 10:53am On Mar 31, 2009
Moyola:

@ OP

What's the name of that player that died while playing? undecided I heard 1 story lyk dhat shaa! tongue

Sam Okwaraji
Re: Nigeria Football(league & National Teams) In The '80s & 90's: Ask Ya Questions by Remii(m): 10:56am On Mar 31, 2009
Who was the Green Eagles Captain popularly referred to as "Chairman".
Re: Nigeria Football(league & National Teams) In The '80s & 90's: Ask Ya Questions by Remii(m): 11:03am On Mar 31, 2009
@Sharoun

Good luck.

Clue

[quote][/quote]

1) Cameroon
2) Lekan Salami
3) African Cup winners cup 1976
Re: Nigeria Football(league & National Teams) In The '80s & 90's: Ask Ya Questions by HNIC(m): 2:40pm On Mar 31, 2009
Akolawole:

Good luck.

Clue

1.) Ghana. Shooting Stars were playing Sekondi 11 Wise

2.) I have racked my brain, I just cannot remember

3.) It was the WAFU cup in 1984 or 1985
Re: Nigeria Football(league & National Teams) In The '80s & 90's: Ask Ya Questions by HNIC(m): 2:50pm On Mar 31, 2009
Remii:

Who was the Green Eagles Captain popularly referred to as "Chairman".

Haba
Too easy.
It's like asking who is the former Nigerian Captain nicknamed Jayjay?
Christian Chukwu.
Re: Nigeria Football(league & National Teams) In The '80s & 90's: Ask Ya Questions by Remii(m): 2:57pm On Mar 31, 2009
During Nigeria independence October 1, 1960 which nation team did we play against to commemorate the day and what was the score tally.
Re: Nigeria Football(league & National Teams) In The '80s & 90's: Ask Ya Questions by Akolawole(m): 3:03pm On Mar 31, 2009
Remii:

@Sharoun

Good luck.

Clue

1) Cameroon
2) Lekan Salami
3) African Cup winners cup 1976

You are wrong sir.
Re: Nigeria Football(league & National Teams) In The '80s & 90's: Ask Ya Questions by Akolawole(m): 3:15pm On Mar 31, 2009
HNIC:

1.) Ghana. Shooting Stars were playing Sekondi 11 Wise

2.) I have racked my brain, I just cannot remember

3.) It was the WAFU cup in 1984 or 1985

Are you right or wrong?

Well, i think, well grin

I will give you answer to number 2 maybe that will help to stick/ammend the other 2.

2) Brigadier General David Jemibewon(Now a PDP Chieftain cry )

Sekondi Eleven wise of ghana: I remember one yeye team in my area was renamed 11 wise soon after that team came to ibadan.

# Shooting played WAFU in 1985 but champions league in '84.
Re: Nigeria Football(league & National Teams) In The '80s & 90's: Ask Ya Questions by Nobody: 5:20pm On Mar 31, 2009
All hail the Dean of the old School,Akola.
Re: Nigeria Football(league & National Teams) In The '80s & 90's: Ask Ya Questions by Akolawole(m): 5:39pm On Mar 31, 2009
Eastbay:

All hail the Dean of the old School,Akola.

Na all of us be dean o.
Re: Nigeria Football(league & National Teams) In The '80s & 90's: Ask Ya Questions by Remii(m): 5:45pm On Mar 31, 2009
Akolawole:

You are wrong sir.

I remember now, I was confusing that match with their Tonnere Kalala match of 1976. Your hint of "yerepe" did not help matter either. They were equally attacked with "yerepe or werepe" in Yaounde also before they won Nigeria's first ever Cup winners cup on 4 -3  aggregate.

Its WAFU 1985 match. I think that incident was beginning of the end of Segun Odegbami's active soccer. He was reportedly injured.
Re: Nigeria Football(league & National Teams) In The '80s & 90's: Ask Ya Questions by HNIC(m): 6:02pm On Mar 31, 2009
@ Akola
Good job.
clap, clap, clap grin
So, Jemibewon was almost murdered in Ghana.
Na wa ooh
Third world war could have started back then grin
Re: Nigeria Football(league & National Teams) In The '80s & 90's: Ask Ya Questions by Nobody: 10:53am On Apr 01, 2009
Akola,
i gatz to give it to you.
you are indeed a repository of nigerian soccer.I say that because right now we are not practising football.It was in the 80s and early 90s that we last had anything resembling football.

I don't remember most of these things anymore.I must confess.
Big ups to you man.
Re: Nigeria Football(league & National Teams) In The '80s & 90's: Ask Ya Questions by Akolawole(m): 1:38pm On Apr 01, 2009
Remii:

Its WAFU 1985 match. I think that incident was beginning of the end of Segun Odegbami's active soccer. He was reportedly injured.

Was it yerepe or werepe? grin i think both were correct o.

If i am not wrong, Segun finished his career in that 1984 Zamalek match.

@ All

Its not everything i remember guys.

On asking that question, the answers in my medulla oblangata was Jemibewon and the venue of the match being a Francophone country. While he was being beaten he cannot even communicate with them in english.

I am sure of the following.

1) It was not a ghanian team. Ghana people are "somehow" and they fear Nigeria.

2) It was definitely a francophone country.

3) Though 3sc was eliminated technically because they abandon the match in abidjan due to bad refeering and little crowd trouble.

My answers is thus:
Re: Nigeria Football(league & National Teams) In The '80s & 90's: Ask Ya Questions by Akolawole(m): 1:48pm On Apr 01, 2009
1) It was in Togo. The match was against Semmasi Sokode FC.

2) David Jemibewon( a former governor of old oyo state)

3) African champions league 1984( semi-final 2nd leg)

Any comment guys?
Re: Nigeria Football(league & National Teams) In The '80s & 90's: Ask Ya Questions by Sauron1: 2:03pm On Apr 01, 2009
Akolawole:

1) It was in Togo. The match was against Semmasi Sokode FC.

2) David Jemibewon( a former governor of old oyo state)

3) African champions league 1984( semi-final 2nd leg)

Any comment guys?

The match was in Ghana. . . . . . .Not Togo.
Re: Nigeria Football(league & National Teams) In The '80s & 90's: Ask Ya Questions by Akolawole(m): 2:09pm On Apr 01, 2009
Let me come to Sharoun level now grin

1)He was the prominent right winger in our 1988 nations cup squad. Name him.

2) He was once a super eagle. A very good winger. Ex-store player. He "ended" his career mysteriously while playing for Sutin stars cry. Who is he?

3) He is from Oshun state but played the top flight footie with ONLY sutin stars. He is a workholic tall midfielder.Ex-super eagle. Who is he?

4) They are siamese "twins". Was in the same secondary school. Played together for Julius berger. Invited to flying eagles at the same time. Name them.

5) Dimeji's full name is Oladimeji Mohammed Lawal. What is the full name of the duo of Owolabi and segun odegbami?

nb:

All these were "who" questions. very very easy.
Re: Nigeria Football(league & National Teams) In The '80s & 90's: Ask Ya Questions by Akolawole(m): 2:13pm On Apr 01, 2009
~Sauron~:

The match was in Ghana. . . . . . .Not Togo.

You?

I was expecting this.

I knew you will come sometimes. grin

We played Eleven wise of ghana. Was it first leg or second leg?

@Eastbay and HNIC

The match was played in sokode NOT sekondi.
Re: Nigeria Football(league & National Teams) In The '80s & 90's: Ask Ya Questions by Nobody: 3:04pm On Apr 01, 2009
Akola
Permit me to answer in installments.i got to rack my brains

1.ndubuisi Okosieme
2.Ademola Johnson-i guess.Not sure
5b.Patrick Olusegun Odegbami
Will getback to yoou on the others
Re: Nigeria Football(league & National Teams) In The '80s & 90's: Ask Ya Questions by Akolawole(m): 3:27pm On Apr 01, 2009
Eastbay:

Akola
Permit me to answer in installments.i got to rack my brains

1.ndubuisi Okosieme
2.Ademola Johnson-i guess.Not sure
5b.Patrick Olusegun Odegbami
Will getback to yoou on the others

Be careful.

Sharoun will be copying your answers grin
Re: Nigeria Football(league & National Teams) In The '80s & 90's: Ask Ya Questions by Remii(m): 6:36pm On Apr 01, 2009
Question:
During Nigeria independence October 1, 1960 which nation team did we play against to commemorate the day and what was the score tally.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Again, Naomi Osaka Pulls Out Of Wimbledon But Will Return For The Olympics / Yakubu Joins Reading, Ideye To Qatar / Nigeria's D'tigers Defeats China 74-64 In Stankovic Cup

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.