Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,434 members, 7,812,293 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 11:16 AM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (2641) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4375895 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2638) (2639) (2640) (2641) (2642) (2643) (2644) ... (3664) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by hamtabfawaz(m): 12:13pm On Dec 11, 2021
somehow:

Simple.

For those always using the price of old to tell the tales of how Nigeria has "spoilt" should not forget that when lands sold for ₦500, average earnings might not have been above ₦10 to ₦50.

Hmmm! A Thoughtful note..
Another dimension :
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by 3strikes: 12:30pm On Dec 11, 2021
Compliments of the season to everyone. Glad to see that this thread is still kicking strong.

3Strikes!

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by hamtabfawaz(m): 12:32pm On Dec 11, 2021
somehow:

Simple.

For those always using the price of old to tell the tales of how Nigeria has "spoilt" should not forget that when lands sold for ₦500, average earnings might not have been above ₦10 to ₦50.

Truth of the Matter is...... A lot of Things were affordable back then in quality & large quantity ✓

Example is : “Eran Muritala” “1bag of rice then is more than 50Kg” “With just ₦10, you can buy a lot for your family to feed & be satisfied”

Now : (Average Man) Your salary is not enough for only you in a week.

Then Naira has more value than dollar or relatively lesser.

Quantity and quality has reduced these days.
Let's take kids biscuits as a case study too : *Coaster Biscuit* usually 8 or even 10, @ just ₦5 now 3 or 2 @ ₦30.

So, Yeah, one can use the price of the old to tell the tales of how Nigeria has spoilt.

May Almighty God heal & bless our dear Nation.��

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by hamtabfawaz(m): 12:38pm On Dec 11, 2021
michlins:
not really sure. Nigeria has never been easy from day one.

Sometimes I think it's easier now sef. Take for instance, you can get jobs from strangers via Nairaland,an opportunity that never existed then. With more people earning better than ever, opportunities have increased tremendously. Before now, building has been reserved for the elites and they build once in a while. Right now[b], every Tom, dick and Harry is building even if it's "kobo kobo" project[/b]

This has happened in the past, That's why you see most people great / grandparents or parents has houses.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 12:58pm On Dec 11, 2021
3strikes:
Compliments of the season to everyone. Glad to see that this thread is still kicking strong.

3Strikes!
wow we missed you sir

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by hamtabfawaz(m): 1:03pm On Dec 11, 2021
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by hamtabfawaz(m): 1:04pm On Dec 11, 2021
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by DFAMEGUY11S(m): 1:08pm On Dec 11, 2021

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Ggee(m): 3:11pm On Dec 11, 2021

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by FEGEITOK: 3:13pm On Dec 11, 2021
How many days to wait between rendering a wall and painting that wall?

- 28 days
- a few days

Is the answer the same for external and internal walls?

Obviously, the answer is not the same for dry and wet season. In the absence of a direct answer to the question, I will err on the side of caution and let the walls be.

I have seen the 28 days narrative in several places. Might have to wait till next year to paint.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by topsy23: 6:15pm On Dec 11, 2021
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 6:48pm On Dec 11, 2021
Ibk2020:
Pls who can explain how we can pre-install kitchen heat extractor ventilator pipe?

No videos on YouTube for this
I think its basic and direct, you drill a hole wide enough to hold the fan, I am assuming your burner position is at the wall facing the backyard?
if not you got to route the exit pipe ontop/along kitchen units

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by dongc(m): 7:38pm On Dec 11, 2021
sonnie10:

Your dad tried. Ogbor hill was the choicest area in Aba then. Hope you are also buying lands that your children will inherit?
I still remember our road trips from ikot ekpene through Aba we would stop over at intersoft drinks to buy some cool drinks. That spot had the best bread and roasted chicken ever. Then we would drive pass NTA towards the railway and head to Aba Owerri road.
That was when curtix just started producing electric cables. You would see their bill boards along the highway then.

Then whether you were resident in Aba or on transit, their tax collector were very mean. They would waylay any young man and bundle him to their office if he couldn’t provide his “Rate paper “

Bolded grin grin...my brother ....you sabi aba well well...all those tax and rate people were so popular and people were scared of them...they can hijack anyone..

That road ogbor hill - ikot-expene road is a mess and has been for years now....was an eye sour last I went there..
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by BrickDevo: 7:47pm On Dec 11, 2021
Ibk2020:
Pls who can explain how we can pre-install kitchen heat extractor ventilator pipe?

I doubt, maybe you didn't search well
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by topsy23: 8:06pm On Dec 11, 2021
Ibk2020:

Extractor fan or cooker hood ?

If it is kitchen extractor fan, there different sizes but the common one for tye kitchen is 6inch or 9inch
Procedure ;
-If you are installing 6inch, get a short piece of 6incj PVC,
-Bury it to the wall facing the outside or fence to allow the extracting the heat outside.
-Let your electrician run a conduit to the pipe for electrical connection, you can allow the extractor running if your light is on by looping it to the nearest point if light or create a separate a gang switch to control it .
-After screening you can now I stall your extractor fan.

Same procedure for 9inch but instead of using 6inch pipe , you will get a carpenter to make square box of 300mmx300mm
Then follow the other procedure above
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by dongc(m): 8:44pm On Dec 11, 2021
kopell:
This is very interesting, the question is. Do they pay back at the value of 1976 or at value of 90s

Well this is a good question...like i wrote initially the 2nd generation tried to recover some of lands..stating that some of lands was only a lien for loan and not sold..that are ready to pay back...well almost a year front and back to court...the Magistrate didn't agree with their argument...we were also secured because of witness statements ..again loans do have payback and duration none of those had it but they used certain words like....

"That I give you this land in exchange for this amount"...

At the end of the day...one particular one was sold back to them because that one is where their obi or sanctuary was supposed to be located they begged..offcourse 90's value...fast-forward 2019 they resold it a falling Station is standing right there..lolloloL
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by AKArchitect555(m): 11:46pm On Dec 11, 2021
Four bedroom flat with garage.
For more info:07042584309

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Blessedsunny2(m): 11:51pm On Dec 11, 2021
AKArchitect555:
Four bedroom flat with garage.
For more info:07042584309
Wow so lovely

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by FEGEITOK: 4:39am On Dec 12, 2021
I saw a miracle, a differently able mason who covered more grounds in square meters or inches whichever is your unit of measurement than all the fully able masons I have ever worked with.

If you need a mason in the FCT who cares more about turnover than being daily paid. He is your guy.

One more example of never judge a book by its cover.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by michlins(m): 4:45am On Dec 12, 2021
FEGEITOK:
I saw a miracle, a differently able mason who covered more grounds in square meters or inches whichever is your unit of measurement than all the fully able masons I have ever worked with.

If you need a mason in the FCT who cares more about turnover than being daily paid. He is your guy.

One more example of never judge a book by its cover.
Spyder880

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by chidi4eze(m): 7:00am On Dec 12, 2021
Please, is rendering same thing as screeding. If yes, so it is advisable to wait 28 days after screeding before painting?

Thanks.

FEGEITOK:
How many days to wait between rendering a wall and painting that wall?

- 28 days
- a few days

Is the answer the same for external and internal walls?

Obviously, the answer is not the same for dry and wet season. In the absence of a direct answer to the question, I will err on the side of caution and let the walls be.

I have seen the 28 days narrative in several places. Might have to wait till next year to paint.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by FEGEITOK: 7:24am On Dec 12, 2021
chidi4eze:
Please, is rendering same thing as shredding. If yes, so it is advisable to wait 28 days after shredding before painting?

Thanks.

Do you mean screeding?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KolaShangOne(m): 8:17am On Dec 12, 2021
topsy23:

If you are in East cutix is okay . 2.5mm cable for AC? IEE standard says 4mm. Below are the recommended cable sizes for appliance by IEE regulation

1.5mm is lighting lighting
2.5mm is for socket
4mm is for AC and water heater
6mm is for cooker

4mm Is widely used for cooker.. I think it can handle it, right?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kanmie(m): 8:56am On Dec 12, 2021
Good day fellow REALTORS.

A big tech company here in lagos in affiliation with Google and Opera recently launch their online PLATFORM to market all kinds of real estate properties.
I hereby appeal to all Real Estate Professionals to use this medium to advertise their direct properties for sale or let including Property REQUEST for free for 30days courtesy Premier Kanmie REALTORS

Any interested person should message me privately.
08024563944 (WhatsApp)
Kanmierealtors@gmail.com

T&C apply.
Thanks
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 10:34am On Dec 12, 2021
Can anyone recommend a good furniture person around berger,need his services for wardrobe,console,kitchen cabinets etc

Thanks
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by topsy23: 12:06pm On Dec 12, 2021
KolaShangOne:

4mm Is widely used for cooker.. I think it can handle it, right?

Yes it will , and these days people don't use electric cooker for long cooking like that because of power consumption

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by chidi4eze(m): 12:17pm On Dec 12, 2021
Yeah sorry my autocorrect
FEGEITOK:

Do you mean screeding?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by FEGEITOK: 1:19pm On Dec 12, 2021
chidi4eze:

Yeah sorry my autocorrect

Disclaimer: Layman speaking!

Screeding is composed of cement which may be Dangote or POP + screeding paint + glue (usually Top Bond).

I found this somewhere on the internet:

cement based screeds should not be force dried

Also saw 7 days per centimeter of thickness which can easily amount to over a month of drying time

I also saw ball park drying time 1mm per day

My conclusion is this, I will draw out the finishing time. I will wait a full one month especially for interior screeding.

Something else, I've read about watering the plastered walls, but not much has been said about that on this thread (or I haven't stumbled on it if it has been said).

Seems that these are trade secrets, hence no one is spilling the beans.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kopell: 1:53pm On Dec 12, 2021
FEGEITOK:

Screeding is composed of cement which may be Dangote or POP + screeding paint + glue (usually Top Bond).

Also saw 7 days per centimeter of thickness which can easily amount to over a month of drying time

My conclusion is this, I will draw out the finishing time. I will wait a full one month especially for interior screeding.

Something else, I've read about watering the plastered walls, but not much has been said about that on this thread (or I haven't stumbled on it if it has been said).

Hahahah, so funny. I dont think so, thanks for bringing this to the thread for debate hoya experts in the house
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by FEGEITOK: 1:57pm On Dec 12, 2021
kopell:
Hahahah, so funny. I dont think so, thanks for bringing this to the thread for debate hoya experts in the house

Musing around....no offence intended
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by BrickDevo: 2:16pm On Dec 12, 2021
FEGEITOK:

most times you may not need to paint, if the screeding paint matches the paint you want to use for that space, me i paint 2days after screeding have been done, my uncle in Ph, will even paint immediately, screeding wey no go take time, it will cake
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by chidi4eze(m): 2:39pm On Dec 12, 2021
Thank you very much !!
FEGEITOK:

(1) (2) (3) ... (2638) (2639) (2640) (2641) (2642) (2643) (2644) ... (3664) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.