Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,220 members, 7,818,759 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:41 AM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 - Travel (140) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 (784935 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (137) (138) (139) (140) (141) (142) (143) ... (401) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Mikkyphaton: 12:31pm On Dec 12, 2015
@walspring. Pls i just sent u a pm, could you pls reply. Thanks.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by KELVIN086: 12:36pm On Dec 12, 2015
Emrey:
Naija and it Wahala...meanwhile I just got a visa to study and work in America..without much stress with the document..he didn't bother to go through any of my document...like this so me no dey come back oooooo....
bros u be bad guy, i go like read ur transcript, abeg share with us
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Walspring: 12:57pm On Dec 12, 2015
Mikkyphaton:
@walspring. Pls i just sent u a pm, could you pls reply. Thanks.

Pm replied
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by cuteconnec: 1:40pm On Dec 12, 2015
sirRiddy:

I did. Did you apply to the integrated Computing PhD?
I think they need the WES after decision is made.
I was given admission into integrated computing department in university of arkansas at little rock, starting spring 2016. If anyone also got same admission please connect with me on limitedge@hotmail.com so we plan together.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Denvan: 2:27pm On Dec 12, 2015
Walspring:

Sorry if you think my post is too harsh but most times my post is to wake them up from their sleep and most of their post will surely bring one or more excuses which you and I are all aware of the truth behind it unless if we don't want to say it .

But let me break it down this way; assuming she is planning to further more in Nigeria will she accept it when that person asked her to go and learn language for months before going to poly or university

Am sure she will want to attend poly or university here in Nigeria if I am not wrong and the only reason why she accepted to study language for months is because the person told her that it's cheap and affordable..

Sometimes not all advice(s) are good to what we want although it helps to open our understanding more and more, but we need to use our instinct and it's not about age because age is not wisdom and majority of people when they are still in secondary school like her age as you said wanted and planned to attend university to become medical doctors, lawyers, accountant, engineering and so on because I could recall those essay writing we usually write about future ambition, best friend, best food and so on during 1st, 2nd and 3rd term exams in secondary school days and through that majority of us started our plans to go to poly or university and not to learn language for months in a university

Don't be surprise when she post again and said that's not what I wanted but the person asked me to go for it and convince me that it's good, cheap and it's the best just like someone who want to apply for university and someone asked and adviced him or her to apply to CC that's it's cheap and affordable and take it to embassy when that is not the person wish and plans, also same applicable to someone that wants to apply for business administration course he or she knew is capable of doing with his or her ability but someone advice and convince him or her to apply for nursing or other course that he or she knew that she can't cope.

Sorry to say this I believe her parent won't allow her to go and learn language for few month in the US first but rather asked her to learn it as degree or take her to the country where that's the official language to go and learn for months

Let us imagine justwise the oga for this thread is going to USA to learn Indian or Chinese as language for months and not 4 years, if you are VO won't you think that he is not genuine with his application but assumed that he is an intending migrant

once more sorry if my posts are harsh but it might be controversial because hardly you will see my post to be harsh on people here and I don't usually take some post serious at first because they don't say the truth but later on they start confessing

I understand u bro, am just saying it generally to everyone here. Sometimes, pple ask asinine questions dat u are tempted to abuse dem (and even slap dem off the thread if its possible), however, we shld always apply caution and restraint. You knw dat even some veterans here(let me not mention names but we knw) have asked some "silly" questions dat I had to scroll up to see who asked such questions only to discover, to my bewilderment, that its "an agba" that has pooed. Every1 will just stroll by as if they didnt perceive the stench frm such poo. No one is an island and nobody knw pass.

3 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by baodium: 3:02pm On Dec 12, 2015
VISA INTERVIEW
My F1 visa was approved yesterday (11/12/2015) at the Lagos embassy cheesy

MY EXPERIENCE
I got to the US embassy around 6:15am and to my utter dismay I met quite a number of people on the queue angry . I proceeded to where I did my first security check. While I was being checked, my international passport mistakenly fell on the ground and one of the "Oyinbo" guy looked at me and said "Your visa will be denied" . I was shocked! I just locked up. Fast forward to the biometric center. I gave the woman my i20, sevis fee, passport (international and photograph). The woman looked at me and said " Your i20 is not complete". I tried to respond and she said something like "you want to teach me my job, you are likely to have a problem with the consular officer" cry . At this point, my confidence is almost close to zilch embarassed . I quickly verified with other F1 applicants and I realized that my i20 is actually complete and the supposed missing part is at the back of my i20. undecided

I think all F1 applicants were interviewed by the lady in window 8. After a short while, I concluded that the lady has been programmed to say " Unfortunately, you are not qualified for the US Visa shocked ". She just dey dash out denials like "mama Christmas " grin . But I think the process is fair.

INTERVIEW
Me: Good morning, how are you doing?
VO: Good morning, so you are going to university of Arkansas at Little Rock
Me: Yes
VO: oh, you are going for a doctorate, what is your research interests?
Me: My primary research interests is in the area of computational medicine and bio-informatics. I am looking at how ICT tools can be used to enhance healthcare delivery in developing countries like Nigeria. I sha talk a lot of rubbish and yes I told her that I worked with the Health Informatics research lab during my NYSC and I was involved in the development of an healthcare solution, I elicited requirements from medical practitioners, modelled the system using UML and developed it using Java. I finished by saying something like " I believe integrating my knowledge with this degree will help me tackle some of the challenges facing healthcare delivery in Nigeria. (You see, I talk a lot of rubbish - me self know )
VO: so what are the challenges facing healthcare delivery in Nigeria using ICT tools
Me (I no expect am): well, I think electricity because erratic power supply will hinder medical practitioners from using healthcare solution. Also, unstable internet because the medical practitioners wont have a timely access in retrieving patients information.
VO: Who will be sponsoring you?
Me: my dad
VO: what does he do?
Me: I told her what he is into and before I could even finish, she said "Your visa has been approved"
Me: thank you
VO: you are welcome, have a nice day

APPRECIATION
Thanks to @sirRiddy grin and everyone that has contributed on this thread, you have helped so many people without knowing. God bless you! smiley

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
Well, I didn't fast (I like chow lipsrsealed ) neither did I pray undecided(maybe my mama prayer fit dey do the background job sha). I even had fun before the interview wink (you don't need to know the details, you too like aproko). I really think what the VO is looking for is "purposefulness". At least you should be able to articulate why studying in the US is the best thing for you. I think one lady was denied because when the VO asked her why she chose the school, she responded with "That's the only school that gave me an admission or stuffs like that". Another was talking about groundnut oil and so on shocked (she sounded desperate to me - think she is going for MS in food science).

In sum, be confident.

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by awe2015(f): 5:27pm On Dec 12, 2015
I don enter ooo... yankee sweet die! Fly with emirates...their services are very conducive and affordable.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Walspring: 6:00pm On Dec 12, 2015
awe2015:
I don enter ooo... yankee sweet die! Fly with emirates...their services are very conducive and affordable.

Thank God for journey mercy

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by iseyinoro(m): 6:39pm On Dec 12, 2015
Good day gurus in the house.I need your advice about my travel plans. I've already booked flight that will take me to lawton, Oklahoma on the 26th of December but my school would be on break and would resume on the 4th of January. I now decided to stay with a friend in Houston Texas and this is because I'll have a stopover in Dallas Texas.Did you guys think the officials at the point of entry in Dallas will grant me entrance with my explanation? Your contributions are highly needed. Thanks.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Walspring: 7:28pm On Dec 12, 2015
iseyinoro:
Good day gurus in the house.I need your advice about my travel plans. I've already booked flight that will take me to lawton, Oklahoma on the 26th of December but my school would be on break and would resume on the 4th of January. I now decided to stay with a friend in Houston Texas and this is because I'll have a stopover in Dallas Texas.Did you guys think the officials at the point of entry in Dallas will grant me entrance with my explanation? Your contributions are highly needed. Thanks.

Is your flight from Lagos to Dallas If yes that should not be a stopover but that's the final destination of the flight..

Sure you can be granted an entrance if you state reason to the Poe provided that is the final destination of the flight but if not I will advice you not to do so because that can be used against you as an avenue to run and not to attend school.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Oluwabengz(m): 7:33pm On Dec 12, 2015
awe2015:

Thank God for journey mercy. Enjoy Yankee and be focus at the same time. Wish u all the best

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by iseyinoro(m): 7:36pm On Dec 12, 2015
Walspring:

Is your flight from Lagos to Dallas If yes that should not be a stopover but that's the final destination of the flight..

Sure you can be granted an entrance if you state reason to the Poe provided that is the final destination of the flight but if not I will advice you not to do so because that can be used against you as an avenue to run and not to attend school.
Thanks for your reply. My flight is from Lagos to Lawton, Oklahoma but we'll have join a flight from Dallas to lawton which is why I want to use Dallas as my poe.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by kennyrony(m): 7:38pm On Dec 12, 2015
sirRiddy:
Sorry if this sounds trivial.
Please how much do people spend averagely on food as students in the US? Putting into consideration both cooking one's food and eating out.
Thanks guys
Bigfrancis21 slimmy05 Msnas godG OjaP mystiqme ebdib bbdd
This one na real planning.... Plan well bro. lol
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by fregkay: 7:46pm On Dec 12, 2015
[b][/b]
baodium:
VISA INTERVIEW
My F1 visa was approved yesterday (11/12/2015) at the Lagos embassy cheesy

MY EXPERIENCE
I got to the US embassy around 6:15am and to my utter dismay I met quite a number of people on the queue angry . I proceeded to where I did my first security check. While I was being checked, my international passport mistakenly fell on the ground and one of the "Oyinbo" guy looked at me and said "Your visa will be denied" . I was shocked! I just locked up. Fast forward to the biometric center. I gave the woman my i20, sevis fee, passport (international and photograph). The woman looked at me and said " Your i20 is not complete". I tried to respond and she said something like "you want to teach me my job, you are likely to have a problem with the consular officer" cry . At this point, my confidence is almost close to zilch embarassed . I quickly verified with other F1 applicants and I realized that my i20 is actually complete and the supposed missing part is at the back of my i20. undecided

I think all F1 applicants were interviewed by the lady in window 8. After a short while, I concluded that the lady has been programmed to say " Unfortunately, you are not qualified for the US Visa shocked ". She just dey dash out denials like "mama Christmas " grin . But I think the process is fair.

INTERVIEW
Me: Good morning, how are you doing?
VO: Good morning, so you are going to university of Arkansas at Little Rock
Me: Yes
VO: oh, you are going for a doctorate, what is your research interests?
Me: My primary research interests is in the area of computational medicine and bio-informatics. I am looking at how ICT tools can be used to enhance healthcare delivery in developing countries like Nigeria. I sha talk a lot of rubbish and yes I told her that I worked with the Health Informatics research lab during my NYSC and I was involved in the development of an healthcare solution, I elicited requirements from medical practitioners, modelled the system using UML and developed it using Java. I finished by saying something like " I believe integrating my knowledge with this degree will help me tackle some of the challenges facing healthcare delivery in Nigeria. (You see, I talk a lot of rubbish - me self know )
VO: so what are the challenges facing healthcare delivery in Nigeria using ICT tools
Me (I no expect am): well, I think electricity because erratic power supply will hinder medical practitioners from using healthcare solution. Also, unstable internet because the medical practitioners wont have a timely access in retrieving patients information.
VO: Who will be sponsoring you?
Me: my dad
VO: what does he do?
Me: I told her what he is into and before I could even finish, she said "Your visa has been approved"
Me: thank you
VO: you are welcome, have a nice day

APPRECIATION
Thanks to @sirRiddy grin and everyone that has contributed on this thread, you have helped so many people without knowing. God bless you! smiley

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
Well, I didn't fast (I like chow lipsrsealed ) neither did I pray undecided(maybe my mama prayer fit dey do the background job sha). I even had fun before the interview wink (you don't need to know the details, you too like aproko). I really think what the VO is looking for is "purposefulness". At least you should be able to articulate why studying in the US is the best thing for you. I think one lady was denied because when the VO asked her why she chose the school, she responded with "That's the only school that gave me an admission or stuffs like that". Another was talking about groundnut oil and so on shocked (she sounded desperate to me - think she is going for MS in food science).

In sum, be confident.
congrats bro. what works for u might not work for your brother saying that you didn't pray and fast,and even hard fun before interview.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Walspring: 7:54pm On Dec 12, 2015
iseyinoro:

Thanks for your reply. My flight is from Lagos to Lawton, Oklahoma but we'll have join a flight from Dallas to lawton which is why I want to use Dallas as my poe.

If you join a flight from Dallas to Lawton that means you have paid and your name is already on the passenger list..

Well it would have been better if your final destination is Dallas and it will be easier for you without stress

You can make your choice but understand that US can keep records

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by abg89(m): 8:17pm On Dec 12, 2015
stolid:

That's where you got it all wrong. Go & commence preparation for your SAT & TOEFL examinations, and try to ace them. You can gain admission in any university of your choice, even with some type of scholarship, if you ace your standardized examinations exceedingly. Forget whatever this someone said.
May I ask if there is any university or college that doesn't require any standardized test for an admission. Am not desperate to get admission but just seeking information.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Kagame: 8:26pm On Dec 12, 2015
iseyinoro:

If I understand you correctly , your flight is scheduled for Lagos - Dallas -Oklahoma.

If your first point of contact with the US is Dallas, that is your POE and all interrogations and immigration checks will be conducted at the Dallas airport. Most likely , your flight from Dallas-Oklahoma is with another local airline who might be part of the alliance. You can afford to miss the flight if you have business in Dallas or someone/someplace to visit. The only problem you might experience is if someone/an official from your school makes a report that you did not arrive as scheduled. To avoid this mix-up ,kindly contact the school international office and let them know of your change of plan. Also keep the printed email conversation handy in case the CBP officer becomes inquisitive,at least you have enough evidence.

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Nobody: 8:45pm On Dec 12, 2015
abg89:

May I ask if there is any university or college that doesn't require any standardized test for an admission. Am not desperate to get admission but just seeking information.

I think there should be. A quick research on Google would do you some good. However, the best of schools and programs would require you write the SAT— It's a no brainer. Writing a standardized test also helps ascertain your seriousness in pursuing studies in the U.S. It could come in handy during visa interview.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by afolabibalogun: 8:58pm On Dec 12, 2015
bbdd:

Doha is Ok
Your poe will be jfk.
What if I fly with Etihad, will I still have my poe at JFK ?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Nobody: 9:50pm On Dec 12, 2015
Congrats baodium
You worked hard and it paid off. Now the hussle continues grin
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by electronic(m): 10:29pm On Dec 12, 2015
cuteconnec:

I was given admission into integrated computing department in university of arkansas at little rock, starting spring 2016. If anyone also got same admission please connect with me on limitedge@hotmail.com so we plan together.
@cuteconnec did you do WES evaluation?
And he far with funding tinz
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by electronic(m): 10:30pm On Dec 12, 2015
cuteconnec:

@cuteconnec did you do WES evaluation?
And how far with funding tinz
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by bigfrancis21: 12:44am On Dec 13, 2015
sirRiddy:
Sorry if this sounds trivial.
Please how much do people spend averagely on food as students in the US? Putting into consideration both cooking one's food and eating out.
Thanks guys
Bigfrancis21 slimmy05 Msnas godG OjaP mystiqme ebdib bbdd

Nah, it doesn't sound trivial. Sorry for the late response. It indicates one with a good sense of financial planning.

I usually cook at home and if you cook at home, expect to spend less than $100 per month. If you eat outside, you spend 3 to 5 times of that amount.

3 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by jah101: 1:01am On Dec 13, 2015
Hello guys, I just finished filling my DS-160 form now and i have submitted it and cant edit it again but after submitting it i realize that i made a mistake on the Issuance date of my passport it suppose to be 16 Nov 2012,but i mistakenly put 16 Nov 2013 do you think that can cause any problem or the VO would know that is just an error or better still should i just fill a new DS-160 form? Your response would be highly appreciated. Between i dont think that really matters because my passport number is correct and they can always confirm that on my passport datapage i guess....But all the same u all opinions really matters.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Nobody: 1:41am On Dec 13, 2015
bigfrancis21:

Nah, it doesn't sound trivial. Sorry for the late response. It indicates one with a good sense of financial planning.

I usually cook at home and if you cook at home, expect to spend less than $100 per month. If you eat outside, you spend 3 to 5 times of that amount.
If not for African food shopping. He should spend nothing less than that, except he intends eating outside. He should just learn how to cook and how to shop and he would fine. How are you celebrating the xmas? When is that your sister coming wink Its no longer a secret you know tongue
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Nobody: 1:42am On Dec 13, 2015
jah101:
Hello guys, I just finished filling my DS-160 form now and i have submitted it and cant edit it again but after submitting it i realize that i made a mistake on the Issuance date of my passport it suppose to be 16 Nov 2012,but i mistakenly put 16 Nov 2013 do you think that can cause any problem or the VO would know that is just an error or better still should i just fill a new DS-160 form? Your response would be highly appreciated. Between i dont think that really matters because my passport number is correct and they can always confirm that on my passport datapage i guess....But all the same u all opinions really matters.
No, you have to fill a new DS160.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Walspring: 1:44am On Dec 13, 2015
jah101:

It is better to correct it by filling a new ds160 and update the code on your appointment page and print out a new appointment confirmation instead of assuming they VO will understand, what of if the VO did not understand
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by jah101: 1:51am On Dec 13, 2015
slimmy05:
No, you have to fill a new DS160.

@Slimmy05 Thanks alot broo....I will fill another one immediately now.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by jah101: 1:53am On Dec 13, 2015
Walspring:

It is better to correct it by filling a new ds160 and update the code on your appointment page and print out a new appointment confirmation instead of assuming they VO will understand, what of if the VO did not understand

Thats True broo...I will fill another one right away now,I also thought as much too,sometimes assuming things can be a big implication....And Fortunately for me i havent booked my appointment yet so i will put the new form code in the appointment page.

(1) (2) (3) ... (137) (138) (139) (140) (141) (142) (143) ... (401)

Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 14 / Securing Visa To France, Applying From Nigeria... / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.