Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,023 members, 7,828,599 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 11:54 AM

Would You Put Your Parents In A Nursing Home? - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Would You Put Your Parents In A Nursing Home? (7987 Views)

Dear Parents, in whose care have you left your child? Pics! / Nursing Mothers And Intercourse / A Nursing Mothers Help (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Would You Put Your Parents In A Nursing Home? by Hauwa1: 2:33am On Apr 01, 2009
osisi you grin grin grin grin
Re: Would You Put Your Parents In A Nursing Home? by Nobody: 2:52am On Apr 01, 2009
**osisi:

In some homes,family can bring her their foods whenever they want to
but remember that most of these patients are on some special or modified diets.
Patients in nursing homes can also have one on one private care aides provided for by the families that can afford it.
I'm not thinking about the cost here o.
I'm thinking about the care and comfortability.

**osisi:

One "fair skinned " Nigerian nurse went to Nigeria for vacation and ran out of her bleaching cream and returned to America darker than Kweku Amfosah grin
Even her own kids and friends thought she had contracted a terminal illness
A few months later she was "healed"
grin grin grin
Re: Would You Put Your Parents In A Nursing Home? by biina: 3:33am On Apr 01, 2009
For me its not about the details of the implementation. For either of my parents (and in-laws), I would always do what I feel is in their best interest, and give them priority over myself. It doesn't mean that they have to be at home with me, but as long as that is the best thing for them, I will do it. My parents placed my well being ahead of theirs, and I will do same for them.

As for issues with mother-in-laws staying with one, my paternal grandmother has been living with my parents (and still does) prior to my birth. At no point has anyone thought of having it otherwise. Its not always like the horror stories one hears.
Re: Would You Put Your Parents In A Nursing Home? by Sissy3(f): 3:59am On Apr 01, 2009
quote from osisi
[Many people do it because they can't afford nursing homes.
They are expensive.
I know people who have taken care of sick parents till they died,many of them had to quit their jobs and get on welfare and they aged a great deal with all the stress.
Some end up diovorced from their spouses because the illness takes over the entire household.
No body wants to "send their parents away"
but sometimes a nursing home is the best option for sanity sake]

yes, u r right.  but then every case is different. so it might not work for everyone
Re: Would You Put Your Parents In A Nursing Home? by iice(f): 10:04am On Apr 01, 2009
@Topic, yes if i could afford it and it was for the best.
I've been through taking care of an elder, it's not easy.  Even harder if the person is very sick. 
Re: Would You Put Your Parents In A Nursing Home? by Amigoz(f): 10:38am On Apr 01, 2009
A simple NO

why?

Im sure it wasnt easy or convenient for my parents having me and taking care of me through thick and thin, illness and what not, A child is for life, how much more a parent?

God spare my life and health, my own parent will not live in a nursing home.
Re: Would You Put Your Parents In A Nursing Home? by JustGood(m): 1:59pm On Apr 01, 2009
God forbid bad things.

Which kind nonsense be that wey your own parents don become burden to you?
Re: Would You Put Your Parents In A Nursing Home? by Leilah(f): 3:34pm On Apr 01, 2009
Well i am white and funny enough I was only thinking of that last night, see my father died young and my mother is now 67 and going blind in one eye. I would never dream of putting her into one. Some over them over here are great but I just couldnt to that. If I have to leave my husband temparorily and my job i would do that.
Re: Would You Put Your Parents In A Nursing Home? by DeReloaded: 3:35pm On Apr 01, 2009
Some can. Some wont. Big Deal
Re: Would You Put Your Parents In A Nursing Home? by OBVIOUS(m): 5:35pm On Apr 01, 2009
aaah noo ooh, they will be in Nigeria or whereever else they choose to be with a maids and cameras all over making sure those maids aren't doing what they're not supposed to be doing,

But nursing home, may the gods forbid.
Re: Would You Put Your Parents In A Nursing Home? by Nobody: 6:07pm On Apr 01, 2009
Well, both my parents are long gone, so I don't have to make that choice, but. . .

Yes, I would.
It's not about them being a burden, more like the whole family - my wife and kids routine will be disrupted.
Caring for an aged / ill parent, and running your home takes a lot of juggling, and my parents would not want us to put our life on hold for them, regardless.

We'll all get old, and become less able to do things which come naturally to us right now, but I would not want my children to place their lives on hold to cater for me. I'd want them to be happy, when my time comes, at least I'll know that I'd lived a good life, and that of my children was only just beginning.

I would personally put myself in a home, and have fond thoughts of the time I'd spent with my children, without feeling I was robbing them of their chances of happiness with their own families.

If I put my parents into a home, it would be for the best - and it wouldn't mean I loved them any less.
Re: Would You Put Your Parents In A Nursing Home? by keyremotes(m): 7:02pm On Apr 01, 2009
Abomination!

My father was with us at home till he passed on in January.
He had been battling cancer for two years.

We should not PUSH our parents away when they need us most.

Moreover it is strange to this parts.
Re: Would You Put Your Parents In A Nursing Home? by Ndipe(m): 7:03pm On Apr 01, 2009
**osisi:

I still remember the thread where you talked so lovingly about your parents and narrated the ordeal when you went home to bury your mom.
It was so touching.
Bless you

Nursing homes are not bad at all.
Just because they found a  giant rat in the sweet and sour soup  pot at Asian cuisine doesn't mean restaurants are bad grin

Amen!

Thanks for your touching comment. Some nursing home aint bad in my opinion, because you have people taking care of your parents while you are at work. Or better still, you can put them in assisted living. Then on weekends, you can either visit them, or have them move in your place. Still, if I had a lot of money and my parents were still around, I would just hire a home aide care to monitor them while I am at work.
Re: Would You Put Your Parents In A Nursing Home? by tpia: 7:17pm On Apr 01, 2009
Re: Would You Put Your Parents In A Nursing Home? by Moonstone(f): 7:31pm On Apr 01, 2009
I love my parents too much to put them in a boarding house. And no, they can't stay with me either. I'd rather get them their own place. Far enough from my house so they won't be dropping unexpectedly in from time to time.
Re: Would You Put Your Parents In A Nursing Home? by MrCrackles(m): 7:35pm On Apr 01, 2009
Topic

NAH!
Re: Would You Put Your Parents In A Nursing Home? by SeanT21(f): 10:21pm On Apr 01, 2009
Heck NO.I hate Nursing Homes.My church members and I went there to visit a senior church member before and the place smells HORRIBLE.**My mother will live with me when she gets 2 old to live alone**

Moonstone:

I love my parents too much to put them in a boarding house. And no, they can't stay with me either. I'd rather get them their own place. Far enough from my house so they won't be dropping unexpectedly in from time to time.

~~and what if they are 2 old to live on their own
Re: Would You Put Your Parents In A Nursing Home? by ollybosieb: 12:16am On Apr 02, 2009
hell nooooooo, shikena.
Re: Would You Put Your Parents In A Nursing Home? by topup: 1:42am On Apr 02, 2009
NEVER!!
Re: Would You Put Your Parents In A Nursing Home? by hackney(m): 8:17am On Apr 02, 2009
I will never ,ever, ever, ever put my parents in a nursing home irrespective of ailments.
Me? my parents in a nursing home?! Hei!!
NEVER!!!
Re: Would You Put Your Parents In A Nursing Home? by minute(f): 10:18am On Apr 02, 2009
I might.If she can no longer take care of herself.

Sometimes they need more care than a family member

can give at home,even with a visiting nurse or whatever.

Its a tough decision but sometimes, the quality of life

is actually better when they are cared for by professionals

and you can visit stree-free . . if a loved one is in the throes

of Alzheimer's or Dementia,caring for them at home can be next to

impossible.

Yeah,I know its difficult and heartbreaking,but sometimes its for the best.
Re: Would You Put Your Parents In A Nursing Home? by kelao: 12:15pm On Apr 02, 2009
Hell no
I cant take my mum to such a place.

Look i am african and i am iknow extended family is our way of life.

Its the whites with their nuclear family partern that looks for such homes for their parents
My mum will no go near such homes.

She stays with me period.
Re: Would You Put Your Parents In A Nursing Home? by Baptiste(m): 12:25pm On Apr 02, 2009
It's unimaginably and very very very un-african
cry cry cry sad sad sad
Re: Would You Put Your Parents In A Nursing Home? by spikedcylinder: 3:55pm On Apr 02, 2009
I wouldn't even think about it twice assuming there are decent nursing homes in Nigeria.
Boredom is one of the factors that kills old people fast and honestly, there's no way in the world I'm going to sit at home all week 24/7 with my parents chit chatting.
Re: Would You Put Your Parents In A Nursing Home? by vescucci(m): 6:23pm On Apr 02, 2009
In a sec if they get too old. But most likely I'll hire maids and chaiwalas for em. grin
Re: Would You Put Your Parents In A Nursing Home? by TOYOSI20(f): 11:43pm On Apr 02, 2009
Never!!!
Re: Would You Put Your Parents In A Nursing Home? by Nobody: 10:30am On Apr 03, 2009
i wonder where so many of us would have been if our folks had put us in foster homes while they pursued their careers

of course it will be difficult, but just as our parents made sacrifices for us, things have come full circle, and it is time for us to make sacrifice for them.

of course, this is easier in theory than in principle. . .
Re: Would You Put Your Parents In A Nursing Home? by Rekky(f): 1:30pm On Apr 03, 2009
No, i wont do dat.
Re: Would You Put Your Parents In A Nursing Home? by davidif: 10:36pm On Apr 03, 2009
@poster

Nooooooooooooo shocked shocked that is a western phenomenon and a very un-african thing to do.
Re: Would You Put Your Parents In A Nursing Home? by LadyT(f): 10:39pm On Apr 03, 2009
Anyone who does this is just cursing themselves.

Its a disgraceful and wicked thing to do.

Unless your parent is at deaths door and needs to be left in an nursing hosptial.

There is no excuse.
Re: Would You Put Your Parents In A Nursing Home? by Nobody: 4:40pm On Apr 04, 2009
god forbid!
Re: Would You Put Your Parents In A Nursing Home? by Ndipe(m): 11:30pm On Apr 04, 2009
LadyT:

Anyone who does this is just cursing themselves.

Its a disgraceful and wicked thing to do. 

Unless your parent is at deaths door and needs to be left in an nursing hosptial.

There is no excuse.

There is nothing disgraceful about it, so dont choose to judge others who put their parents in nursing homes. At least, your mind is at peace while at work that your parents are taken care of, unlike keeping them at home unattended which could be dangerous to them. Supposing your loved one had a stroke, and you were a working mother, how would you take care of him?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Husbands With " Honey Have You Seen : " Syndrome / Couples With Different Career Dreams / Have 2 Lovely Girls But Hubby Want One More Trial For A Male Child

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.