Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,697 members, 7,831,173 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 02:52 PM

The Movie Club - TV/Movies (89) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / The Movie Club (83872 Views)

3 Idiots: Have You Seen The Movie? Please, Share Your Lessons! / NL Movie-Club: Summer 2011 Stakeout / The Movie "300" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (86) (87) (88) (89) (90) (91) (92) ... (96) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Movie Club by semid4lyfe(m): 10:31am On Mar 16, 2011
obinna5000:
DRIVE ANGRY!! I haven't seen it but I try to avoid Nicolas Cage movies as much as possible. Cheesy

Suggestions:
127 HOURS (2010)
RED (2010)
BLACK SWAN (2010)
THE HURT LOCKER (2009) cheesy

v3:
Haven't we reviewed RED before? undecided  If not, lets review it.

Hmmm, just so we don't dilly-dally for too long, I'll second V3. Lets do RED
Re: The Movie Club by lalaboi(m): 10:37am On Mar 16, 2011
semid4lyfe:

Hmmm, just so we won't dilly-dally for too long, I'll second V3. Lets do RED
v3:

[size=3pt]Damn, this girl again![/size]

Haven't we reviewed RED before? undecided If not, lets review it.

These Arsenal guyz sef. . . hmph!
Re: The Movie Club by semid4lyfe(m): 11:03am On Mar 16, 2011
lalaboi:
These Arsenal guyz sef. . .  hmph!

Gala boi, kini mo se nah? undecided The only movie I suggested that was reviewed was The King's Speech. All the other movies have been suggested by others and I only vote

Ok I geddit. . .Shey na becos I talk se that your Benjamz diss dey wack ni? grin grin  Guy free me jare, if e pain you enter studio go wax better diss tongue

@ justkunmi
Abeg, make we do one of lalaboi earlier suggestions so hin go rest matter for my case
Re: The Movie Club by justkunmi(m): 12:32pm On Mar 16, 2011
@semid4lyf
you guys shld vote. . then we'll review the movie chosen.
Re: The Movie Club by semid4lyfe(m): 1:12pm On Mar 16, 2011
@ justkunmi

2 votes already for RED. . .Myself and v3
Re: The Movie Club by lalaboi(m): 1:34pm On Mar 16, 2011
semid4lyfe:

Gala boi, kini mo se nah? undecided The only movie I suggested that was reviewed was The King's Speech. All the other movies have been suggested by others and I only vote

Ok I geddit. . .Shey na becos I talk se that your Benjamz diss dey wack ni? grin grin  Guy free me jare, if e pain you enter studio go wax better diss tongue

@ justkunmi
Abeg, make we do one of lalaboi earlier suggestions so hin go rest matter for my case
##
U dey craze grin . . .
Re: The Movie Club by lalaboi(m): 1:34pm On Mar 16, 2011
Are we done with the Oscar thingy? grin
Re: The Movie Club by obinna5000(m): 1:53pm On Mar 16, 2011
@lalaboi and semid4lyfe
Una dey make me laugh. grin

@justkunmi
I'm also down with RED (2010). Its one of the action films I really liked in 2010. Better than THE EXPENDABLES. tongue
Re: The Movie Club by justkunmi(m): 5:20pm On Mar 16, 2011
3 votes for RED then. . . Its ok to make it official now I guess??
Re: The Movie Club by justkunmi(m): 5:25pm On Mar 16, 2011
RED (2010)

Directed by Robert Schwentke
Starrs Bruce Willis, Mary-Louise Parker, Morgan Freeman, John Malkovich, Helen Mirren, Karl Urban.

Your reviews . . .
Re: The Movie Club by viruz007(m): 11:56pm On Mar 16, 2011
Nice acting by bruce willis, Loved the action, Helen mirren was good, Nyc concept, D special effect esp. D part were bruce willis stepped out of d police car was ok, All in all 80% for RED cool
Re: The Movie Club by obinna5000(m): 9:34am On Mar 17, 2011
Even though the story wasn't fantastic, RED was still a fun action movie to watch. smiley

RED gets an 80% rating from me.
Re: The Movie Club by semid4lyfe(m): 1:23pm On Mar 17, 2011
I don't know about others but I feel slightly jaded about the whole spy/undercover/special agent ''action'' movie genre  undecided Maybe it's cos I've read too many espionage novels and watched too many tv series + films in this genre so I feel everything has been done before sad

RED is an extremely interesting movie with lots of ''gun-firing'' & ''bomb exploding'' action and a fair dose of comedy, romance and humour but that's where the +VE ends for me,

The storyline/plot was unoriginal and far-fetched . . . characters were exaggerated & unrealistic. . .action scenes were ''same of the same'' . .and the whole film was damn predictable.

Best performance in the film was from John Malkovich as he portrayed his character of a paranoid, deeply suspicious and slightly unbalanced old man very well. The performances of the others was just average IMO.

Surely, the quartet of Bruce Willis, Morgan Freeman, John Malkovich and Helen Mirren could have been put to better use? undecided. . . .I'll score RED a 60%
Re: The Movie Club by v3: 1:37pm On Mar 17, 2011
Won't stress english so i'll just make it short

RED
Bruce Willis, Morgan Freeman, Helen Mirren and Hollywood veteran Malkovich play a group of retired war veterans/mercenaries who're being hunted one by one by an agent.

Story line, like semid said. .is darn too predictable (The Expendables comes to mind),but the stunt/fight/bomb scenes, a touch of romance and some comedy did do it for me.

It is one of action movies that made my 2010 list and i'll give it %70
Re: The Movie Club by vescucci(m): 2:00pm On Mar 17, 2011
I can't escape rehashing what's been said already. But I can sum it up this way: If RED didn't have the actors it had (about seven of them!) it'd have been a very stupid film indeed. But it turned out very very entertaining for me just because those phenomenal actors - though were just having fun playing with big guns and not really putting that much soul into it - really made the difference. Bruce's love interest was so touching and free and lovable and adorable. The fresh and ambitious CIA agent reminded me of how I rued his death in Bourne Supremacy. He's so intense. That scene where Bruce stepped out of a spinning car like he was stepping into an elevator was the highlight of the special effects. Ingenious but physically impossible. Red is the most enjoyable stupid film ever. One can only wish such an ensemble will sprout again. I think I heard something about a sequel though. I rate it 80%. Mostly for enjoyability.
Re: The Movie Club by justkunmi(m): 9:51pm On Mar 19, 2011
Wow! Lovely reviews.
And everyone seems to agree for the first time about a movie.

I saw Red just cause I saw Helen Miren brandishing a machine gun in a really good looking gown. . .and I was like 'Oh really I must see this movie'.

Like vesc said. . With a completely different cast, the movie woulda failed terribly. And I'm beginning to understand somethings about Hollywood. Red wasn't made to compete with your regular action/espionage movie. It was made so the actors could 'free' themselves and have a good time.
Anyone seen 'Burn After Reading'? Ithas a crazier cast. George Clooney, Brad Pitt, John Malkovich and a lot of people. And till today iono what the point of the whole movie was. Just like Red, the actors just played around and had fun.

Nice graphics.

And I loved the scene where we first saw John Malcovich. He opened the bonnet of the packed up car and stepped inside. I burst out laughing when I saw him go the staircase into his 'stronghouse'. Lol. Nice stuff.

Based on the intentions of the movie. . I'll rate it 80. It was lazily interesting to watch. It wasn't trying hard to do much, but it did. And it had a bit of some dark humour.
Re: The Movie Club by Vieira(m): 10:02am On Mar 20, 2011
RED was a really disappointing movie for me.
The concept was good enough to be done without any star power.

I believe the failing of this film was down to the fact that they decided the coast o the backk of the names.

I was really pissed off with this movie because instead of a pleasent movie it could have been a classic but instead they went for the easy option and John Malkovich has to stop playing the same character he has for the last 10 years!

He no sabi any other acting? Jeez.

I give this 5/10
Re: The Movie Club by spikedcylinder: 9:20am On Mar 21, 2011
Red, in the process of exploiting commercial success with their unusual cast (never would imagined a 65yrs old Mirren who is used to playing more Victorian roles with a machine gun) simply tried to put more life into a tired, overdone genre of movie making.
The cast (as has been said) made it worth the watch and it is recommended for those whose main interests lie in outrageous action films. smiley

5/10.
Re: The Movie Club by justkunmi(m): 9:30am On Mar 21, 2011
@Viera
I totally agree with you bout Malkovich. It seems thats all he does these days. .Play the neurotic old man with sarcastic one-liners. . But it seems to be working for him cos he keeps getting movies with that character. .

@Spikey
Helen Mirren with a machine gun was what made me see the movie. So on that alone. .the choice of the cast was good. People see the stars in the movie preview. . they pay to go see it. .they realise its a stupid movie. . they dont care anyway cos they saw the great Helen Mirren with a machine gun and the ever modest Morgan Freeman lookin lustfully at a broad's behind. . grin
The movie makes money. . wink
Re: The Movie Club by spikedcylinder: 10:00am On Mar 21, 2011
Lol @ Jk! You're right though. cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: The Movie Club by v3: 10:13am On Mar 21, 2011
JK
Are we done reviewing RED? If 'YES' **according to the laws of programming**, PROCESS, COMPUTE and SHOW results.
Re: The Movie Club by justkunmi(m): 10:49am On Mar 21, 2011
Lol. .
im on it.
Re: The Movie Club by justkunmi(m): 11:03am On Mar 21, 2011
RED

General comments: Great cast. .Lazy story. You want to see your favourite stars do nothing for 90 minutes plus but you still get to enjoy what your watching?. .see Red.

Average rating: 68.75% (From 8 reviews)

Nice one guys. everyone showed up for this one. wink

NEXT. . .
Re: The Movie Club by v3: 11:05am On Mar 21, 2011
Pirates of the Caribbean Trilogy cool
Spiderman Trilogy undecided
Matrix Trilogy cheesy
Re: The Movie Club by obinna5000(m): 11:35am On Mar 21, 2011
- The Hurt Locker (2009) grin
- Pirates of the Caribbean Trilogy
- Spiderman Trilogy
- Matrix Trilogy
- Aki and Ukwa 1 & 2 cheesy
- Black Swan
Re: The Movie Club by justkunmi(m): 1:38pm On Mar 21, 2011
:-x
Re: The Movie Club by Vieira(m): 2:45pm On Mar 21, 2011
Spiderman Trilogy!
Re: The Movie Club by vescucci(m): 8:20pm On Mar 21, 2011
Sin City
Re: The Movie Club by obinna5000(m): 10:57pm On Mar 21, 2011
vescucci:

Sin City

INCREDIBLE!!!  shocked

Suggestions:
- The Hurt Locker (2009) grin
- Pirates of the Caribbean Trilogy
- Spiderman Trilogy
- Matrix Trilogy
- Aki and Ukwa 1 & 2 cheesy tongue
- Black Swan
- Sin City shocked
Re: The Movie Club by WackyJ1(m): 1:20am On Mar 22, 2011
Seems i've missed a lot
Re: The Movie Club by justkunmi(m): 9:16am On Mar 22, 2011
Sin City!

(1) (2) (3) ... (86) (87) (88) (89) (90) (91) (92) ... (96) (Reply)

BBNaija: Tacha Slays In Transparent Dress During Birthday Celebration / Tboss Bares Her Boobs As Kemen Rinses Her Body After A Dark Bath At BBNaija / NTA Cartoons and programmes Of The 70s, 80s And 90s

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.