Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,606 members, 7,812,984 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 01:17 AM

The Movie Club - TV/Movies (90) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / The Movie Club (83645 Views)

3 Idiots: Have You Seen The Movie? Please, Share Your Lessons! / NL Movie-Club: Summer 2011 Stakeout / The Movie "300" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (87) (88) (89) (90) (91) (92) (93) ... (96) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Movie Club by v3: 2:56pm On Mar 22, 2011
obinna5000:

INCREDIBLE!!!  shocked

Suggestions:
- The Hurt Locker (2009) grin
- Pirates of the Caribbean Trilogy cool
Terminator Trilogy cheesy
- Spiderman Trilogy
- Matrix Trilogy
- Black Swan
- Sin City shocked
Re: The Movie Club by obinna5000(m): 7:01pm On Mar 22, 2011
@v3
cheesy grin

Lets narrow it down to:
- Pirates of the Caribbean Trilogy
- Spiderman trilogy
- Sin City
Re: The Movie Club by vescucci(m): 8:14pm On Mar 22, 2011
Una wan do trilogy by force. Those things are troublesome.
Re: The Movie Club by WackyJ1(m): 8:36pm On Mar 22, 2011
Have you guys done Chronicles of Riddick before?
Re: The Movie Club by vescucci(m): 10:21pm On Mar 22, 2011
No, we haven't.
Re: The Movie Club by semid4lyfe(m): 10:41pm On Mar 22, 2011
vescucci:

Una wan do trilogy by force. Those things are troublesome.

You dey mind v3, trilogy ko hexlogy ni tongue

Abegiiiii, lets keep it simple and do one movie at a time. . . .
Re: The Movie Club by vescucci(m): 11:04pm On Mar 22, 2011
Let's do Sin City shocked jare.
Re: The Movie Club by v3: 7:27am On Mar 23, 2011
vescucci:

Let's do Sin City shocked jare.
shocked shocked sad sad
Re: The Movie Club by justkunmi(m): 10:15am On Mar 23, 2011
I second Sin City shocked

2 votes for Sin City shocked
2 votes for Spiderman Trilogy

sidebar.
vesc. .rotflmao
shocked
Re: The Movie Club by v3: 10:27am On Mar 23, 2011
Spiderman Trilogy angry tongue
Re: The Movie Club by WackyJ1(m): 10:38am On Mar 23, 2011
justkunmi:

I second Sin City shocked

2 votes for Sin City shocked
2 votes for Spiderman Trilogy

sidebar.
vesc. .rotflmao
shocked
I vote for Spiderman trilogy, hopefully it'll slow you guys down a bit
Re: The Movie Club by vescucci(m): 3:57pm On Mar 23, 2011
Enemy of progress. Lol
Re: The Movie Club by WackyJ1(m): 5:36pm On Mar 23, 2011
vescucci:

Enemy of progress. Lol
you guys are running like a freight train. Lol, maybe you guys want to finish all the movies this year and retire
Re: The Movie Club by justkunmi(m): 6:05pm On Mar 23, 2011
oya which movie. .?
Re: The Movie Club by obinna5000(m): 6:09pm On Mar 23, 2011
Spiderman trilogy - 4 votes embarassed
Sin City - 2 votes undecided
Re: The Movie Club by justkunmi(m): 6:26pm On Mar 23, 2011
Spiderman embarassed 4 votes??

Guess we have a movie to review then. .

Vesc. .
Sin City shocked lost. . lol
Re: The Movie Club by justkunmi(m): 6:30pm On Mar 23, 2011
The Spiderman Trilogy

3 movies about a fictional Marvel Comics superhero. . .

All Directed by
Sam Raimi

Starring
Tobey Maguire
Willem Dafoe
Kirsten Dunst
James Franco
Cliff Robertson
Rosemary Harris
J. K. Simmons

Your reviews. .

Re: The Movie Club by vescucci(m): 7:17pm On Mar 23, 2011
Oh, sod it. Let's do Spiderman. At least Vieira will be happy.
Re: The Movie Club by Vieira(m): 9:33pm On Mar 23, 2011
Lol, soon come with my review!
Re: The Movie Club by Vieira(m): 12:49am On Mar 24, 2011
My original review back in 2002:

http://www.dapo.co.uk/Spiderman.htm

Spider-Man :

To start this review I have to let you know that I am mark for this kind of film, I have been a big comic fan for over 25 years and have seen some atrocious comic movies, it has got to a point that an average comic book film will seem like the best thing since sliced bread.

With X-Men and Blade it seems that Marvel has now got the knack of making good adaptations of their comic books, we can now forget the terrible memories of the Captain America movie, Dolph Lundgren's Punisher and the unreleased Roger Corman's Fantastic Four movie.

About this film, I went in to this film having read tons of spoilers and hence this kind of took away part of the surprise element for me in this film. From now on I will be avoiding reading any spoilers.

My rating for this film is 8/10 The film is good, and works on many levels.

Let me first get rid of the two negatives I found about the film, the first one is a minor quibble.

Synopsis: Peter Parker gets bit by a bio-engineered spider and gains superpowers, he soon learns that with great power comes great responsibility. This is the story of how the boy becomes the Spider-man!

Director : Sam Raimi
Starring : Tobey Maguire, Kirsten Dunst, William Dafoe
Positives :

Where to start? Tobey Maguire, he nailed this role, he is Peter Parker even without the normal widows peak from the comic books. He played the bullied geek becoming a hero to a T and was very convincing.

There a some great in-jokes that comic geeks round the world will appreciate, my favorite superhero gets a nod when Peter yells shazam! Great!

The scenes When he realised he had powers were very well handled and quite enjoyable watching.

We get a great beating up of the bully with a Matrix twist and the wrestling scene has got to be a classic.

If I try to list all the things I liked I'll be here all day!

One major thing that makes this film better in my opinion than The X-Men were the fight scenes, in X-Men you never really get the feeling that people are being hurt even when wolverine was fighting!!

In Spiderman when the Green Goblin was beating up Spidey it felt real and we filched with every blow, it looked violent and poor Spidey looked like he had been in the wars! No wonder it was rated PG.

Negatives :

1. CGI, once again the curse of CGI raises it's head, In the first scenes of Peter Parker running and jumping across rooftops I thought the effects could have been better. But I must admit that the CGI got better throughout the film to the point that the swinging sequence in the end of the film was absolutely brilliant and brought the comic Spidey to life.

2. Green Goblin's Mask, this was the main downside to the movie for me, he looked like a cheesy Power Ranger as almost everyone else has pointed out. I have no better ideas on how they could have realised this but I am sure that smarter people could have figured out a better way.

All I can say now is bring on The Hulk!

See ya later,

Shazam!
Re: The Movie Club by Vieira(m): 12:51am On Mar 24, 2011
My original review for the sequel back in 2004:

http://www.dapo.co.uk/Spiderman2.htm

Spiderman 2

Synopsis: It is two years on and Peter Parker is finding that juggling the life of a superhero with work and collage is not easy. In addition there is a new menace in town but will Spiderman be around to stop Doctor Octopus??

Director : Sam Raimi - Genius
Starring : Toby Maguire, Kirsten Dunst, James Franco, JK Simmons, Alfred Molina, and Bruce Campbell

At last all the arguments can stop, the best superhero movie is officially Spiderman 2. This is the first decent movie I have watched at the pictures this year and boy was it good.

Is it better than the first Spiderman? Yes it is but without the ground work established in the first movie this film could not have been possible. We have to treat the two movies as one big film.

In this movie we see the toll that being Spiderman is taking on Peter's life and boy it is not easy. His school work is suffering, his love life is non existent and boy is he broke!!

When watching this film you cannot but help feel Peter's pain both physical and spiritual.

The director of this film Sam Raimi has pulled of a masterpiece in this film. You are on a ride that has highs and lows and it does not let go of you till the end. You will feel everything that Peter suffers through.

The CGI was in my opinion flawless and did not even register on my mind during this movie.

The leads of Tobey Maguire and Kirsten Dunst are becoming such good actors and they make us believe in the frustration of their love, the scenes where Kirsten is trying to get Peter to open up to her are great.

The foe in this movie Doctor Octopus played by Alfred Molina was excellent and made for a great visual on the screen. He in my opinion is ten times better than that Green Goblin that looked like a power rangers reject.

I enjoyed this film to no end and have so many favourite scenes but I think the battle with Doc Ock on the train was the best sequence especially when you see the bond he shares with the rest of the New Yorkers.

I hope that Sam Raimi can keep up the quality of these movies for the inevitable sequels

This film was very enjoyable and had a good blend of action and drama.

Also for all the comic geeks there are mentions of Jonah Jameson's son James the astronaut and of Doctor Connors both of who will become villains in the comics, plus we get a lot of scenes lifted directly from the comics, especially the scene in which Peter quits as Spiderman and dumps his costume in the garbage.

J. Jameson is great as the annoying editor of the bugle and he made me laugh a few times.

All in all I would recommend this to anyone and I will be watching this again very soon.

Spiderman, Spiderman, does whatever a spider can, spins a web,

This gets a webtastic 9/10

Shazam!
Re: The Movie Club by Vieira(m): 1:06am On Mar 24, 2011
The 3rd Spider-man movie was a drop in quality from the preceding two.

My comment on flixster back then was:

I liked the film despite it being overly long.
It was nowhere as good as the second movie which is my all time favourite superhero.

To flesh this out I would have to add that the forced inclusion of venom by Marvel comics against the wishes of Sam Raimi led partly to the failing of this installment.

If the studio had not interfered I think this could have been a lot better, as it was Thomas Haden gave a great performance as Sandman and should have been allowed to shine.

The film also teased us comic book fans with some teasers from the books like Gwen Stacy.
Re: The Movie Club by Vieira(m): 1:18am On Mar 24, 2011
Taking all three movies together I have to say that this trilogy had a strong first instalment, a brillaint sequel and a slightly disappointing 3rd instalment.

It still remains one of the best superhero tales out there and as a trilogy of Superhero movies can possibly only be bettered by Nolan's Batman

One thing that this trilogy has over Nolan's Batman by a mile?

Fight scenes.

Raimi can do action without a doubt and for a Superhero movie this is mega important.

Sam Raimi did Spider-man justice and there really was no need for a reboot so early and the new films have a lot to live up to.

Overall I will have to give the movies a well deserved 24/30
Re: The Movie Club by vescucci(m): 8:35am On Mar 24, 2011
Vieira, you son of a gun. You'd already done the hard work. Luckily there's little or nothing I can add. The Green Goblin was kinda soft core but was a good stepping stone. Willem Dafoe fit the bill perfectly though. The perfect mix of madness, mischief, genius and evil that is expected from the Goblin. I expected his son to sorta become a fixture in all the sequels as sort of a side kick. Dr. Octopus was awesome and was almost as riveting a character as Spiderman. His troubles were multi faceted and he finally won back his soul from the clutches of corruption only to give his life again. He turned out to be a villain turned hero. Sandman was all kinds of awesome and they found the perfect actor for it too. The casting was such a beautiful thing. Sam Raimi was right to try to block Venom's outing which turned to be mediocre for someone who's supposed to be Spiderman's nemesis. I dunno what's going on but are we gonna see another Spiderman? Sam Raimi I only knew as director of Xena and Hercules, two shows I enjoyed tremendously back in the day. So I didn't think he'd be this awesome. No one thought Peter Jackson would be too. I rate the first film 85%, the second 95% and the last 75%. 80% average.
Re: The Movie Club by KazeKage1: 9:46am On Mar 24, 2011
vescucci:

Vieira, you son of a gun. You'd already done the hard work. Luckily there's little or nothing I can add. The Green Goblin was kinda soft core but was a good stepping stone. Willem Dafoe fit the bill perfectly though. The perfect mix of madness, mischief, genius and evil that is expected from the Goblin. I expected his son to sorta become a fixture in all the sequels as sort of a side kick. Dr. Octopus was awesome and was almost as riveting a character as Spiderman. His troubles were multi faceted and he finally won back his soul from the clutches of corruption only to give his life again. He turned out to be a villain turned hero. Sandman was all kinds of awesome and they found the perfect actor for it too. The casting was such a beautiful thing. Sam Raimi was right to try to block Venom's outing which turned to be mediocre for someone who's supposed to be Spiderman's nemesis. I dunno what's going on but are we gonna see another Spiderman? Sam Raimi I only knew as director of Xena and Hercules, two shows I enjoyed tremendously back in the day. So I didn't think he'd be this awesome. No one thought Peter Jackson would be too. I rate the first film 85%, the second 95% and the last 75%. 80% average.
Vieira:

Taking all three movies together I have to say that this trilogy had a strong first instalment, a brillaint sequel and a slightly disappointing 3rd instalment.

It still remains one of the best superhero tales out there and as a trilogy of Superhero movies can possibly only be bettered by Nolan's Batman

One thing that this trilogy has over Nolan's Batman by a mile?

Fight scenes.

Raimi can do action without a doubt and for a Superhero movie this is mega important.

Sam Raimi did Spider-man justice and there really was no need for a reboot so early and the new films have a lot to live up to.

Overall I will have to give the movies a well deserved 24/30
Vieira:

My original review for the sequel back in 2004:

http://www.dapo.co.uk/Spiderman2.htm

Spiderman 2

Synopsis: It is two years on and Peter Parker is finding that juggling the life of a superhero with work and collage is not easy. In addition there is a new menace in town but will Spiderman be around to stop Doctor Octopus??

Director : Sam Raimi - Genius
Starring : Toby Maguire, Kirsten Dunst, James Franco, JK Simmons, Alfred Molina, and Bruce Campbell

At last all the arguments can stop, the best superhero movie is officially Spiderman 2. This is the first decent movie I have watched at the pictures this year and boy was it good.

Is it better than the first Spiderman? Yes it is but without the ground work established in the first movie this film could not have been possible. We have to treat the two movies as one big film.

In this movie we see the toll that being Spiderman is taking on Peter's life and boy it is not easy. His school work is suffering, his love life is non existent and boy is he broke!!

When watching this film you cannot but help feel Peter's pain both physical and spiritual.

The director of this film Sam Raimi has pulled of a masterpiece in this film. You are on a ride that has highs and lows and it does not let go of you till the end. You will feel everything that Peter suffers through.

The CGI was in my opinion flawless and did not even register on my mind during this movie.

The leads of Tobey Maguire and Kirsten Dunst are becoming such good actors and they make us believe in the frustration of their love, the scenes where Kirsten is trying to get Peter to open up to her are great.

The foe in this movie Doctor Octopus played by Alfred Molina was excellent and made for a great visual on the screen. He in my opinion is ten times better than that Green Goblin that looked like a power rangers reject.

I enjoyed this film to no end and have so many favourite scenes but I think the battle with Doc Ock on the train was the best sequence especially when you see the bond he shares with the rest of the New Yorkers.

I hope that Sam Raimi can keep up the quality of these movies for the inevitable sequels

This film was very enjoyable and had a good blend of action and drama.

Also for all the comic geeks there are mentions of Jonah Jameson's son James the astronaut and of Doctor Connors both of who will become villains in the comics, plus we get a lot of scenes lifted directly from the comics, especially the scene in which Peter quits as Spiderman and dumps his costume in the garbage.

J. Jameson is great as the annoying editor of the bugle and he made me laugh a few times.

All in all I would recommend this to anyone and I will be watching this again very soon.

Spiderman, Spiderman, does whatever a spider can, spins a web,

This gets a webtastic 9/10
Shazam!
Swear down, if i try to add anything. . it'll probably not sound different.
Good stuff from you both.

Kirsten Dunst
I was a bit angered with the way she kept going back and forth between Harry and Peter. .like she wasn't sure were to pitch her tent. But she did play the role of a helplessly 'devoted friend/girlfriend/friend/girlfriend. .then wife' very well.
Toby McGuire
Played the nerd role VERY well and AFTER gaining spidey powers,dropped his 'nerd looks' and metamorphosed into this badt-good guy that you couldn't mess with. cool
Enjoyed the fight scenes (esp. the one with Otto Octavia on the train), good but short dialogue. . Oh and that quote,"With great power comes great responsibility." is #EPIC!

I didn't like the Part 3 with Venom(me grin tongue,his sworn enemy) and Sandman cause the latter sort of out-shined the former. Hopefully, the 4th part(if they make it) will live up to the reputation of the first 2 parts.

Will score all 3 parts 8/10
Re: The Movie Club by obinna5000(m): 9:53am On Mar 24, 2011
I only liked the first two Spider-Man movies in the trilogy.
Spider-Man 3 had too many major characters and a weak story. It was hard to maintain a balance between the characters. Venom should have been made the only major villian in this film and Sandman written off.
I hope the Spider-Man reboot turns out to be much better than the previous three.

I rate the SPIDER-MAN trilogy as follows:

-SPIDER-MAN (2002) - 84%
-SPIDER-MAN 2 (2004) - 89%
-SPIDER-MAN 3 (2007) - 68%
Re: The Movie Club by justkunmi(m): 9:33am On Mar 25, 2011
wow!! wooooooww!!!

*runs out of thread cos there's nothing smart to add*
Re: The Movie Club by semid4lyfe(m): 11:09pm On Mar 25, 2011
justkunmi:

wow!! wooooooww!!!

*runs out of thread cos there's nothing smart to add*

TRUE!!!!!! grin grin

I'll give the Trilogy as a whole 75%

Oya, JK round it up. . . . . . . .
Re: The Movie Club by justkunmi(m): 11:37am On Mar 28, 2011
The Spiderman Trilogy round-up

1st movie. .80.8%
2nd movie. .85.8%
3rd movie. .75.6%

Lovely reviews people. .

Next movie.
Re: The Movie Club by v3: 11:48am On Mar 28, 2011
Pirates of Ze Caribbean cool
Re: The Movie Club by justkunmi(m): 11:55am On Mar 28, 2011
sIN cITY shocked
Re: The Movie Club by obinna5000(m): 7:41pm On Mar 28, 2011
justkunmi:

The Spiderman Trilogy round-up

1st movie. .80.8%
2nd movie. .85.8%
3rd movie. .75.6%

cheesy grin grin

@justkunmi
Lets review "Sin City". shocked

(1) (2) (3) ... (87) (88) (89) (90) (91) (92) (93) ... (96) (Reply)

NTA Cartoons and programmes Of The 70s, 80s And 90s / K.brule And Khloe Disqualified From The Big Brother House (details) / BBNaija: Tacha Slays In Transparent Dress During Birthday Celebration

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.