Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,109 members, 7,835,747 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 02:16 PM

Newly Engaged To A Wonderful Man That Is Half Igbo - Needs Help - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Newly Engaged To A Wonderful Man That Is Half Igbo - Needs Help (831 Views)

Married Man & Newly Engaged Woman Have Sex In Office & It’s Live On CCTV / I Dated My Girlfriend For 2yrs Not Knowing She Was Already Engaged To....... / Pregnant For Sugar-daddy And Engaged To My Fiance (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Newly Engaged To A Wonderful Man That Is Half Igbo - Needs Help by NikoP(f): 7:03am On Apr 22, 2009
I just became engaged to the most wonderfully loving and compassionate man I have ever met.  He is half African American and Nigerian (Ibo).  It has been a whirlwind affair.  We have known each other four months and we have been together basically every day since our first hello until two weeks ago.  His mother fell ill and like any good son, he left to be by her side in Nigeria.  His parents had a terrible fight when he was young and she returned back to Nigeria, sending him letters conveying her love for not only him but his father.  I have only had the chance to speak to her from time to time via the phone prior to her being ill and I did not feel as if she approved of him being with me.  It is very important to me that we are able to build a good relationship as his mother is his everything.  I must admit I am ignorant of her culture and hope that I have done nothing to offend her.  Any advice is greatly appreciated.  I would love to be able to tell her in her native language exactly how much I care and love her son.  He truly is every thing to me. Will some one please find it within their hearts respond to me, please.
Re: Newly Engaged To A Wonderful Man That Is Half Igbo - Needs Help by naimkhan: 10:34pm On Apr 22, 2009
hi how r u i would 2 b a life pathner n know with each other good bye take care my id ) naeem_khan_afridi@hotmail.com
Re: Newly Engaged To A Wonderful Man That Is Half Igbo - Needs Help by follypimpi(m): 10:53pm On Apr 22, 2009
Niko,

Here's my 2 cents,you really dont need to speak in ones lingo to appreciate there culture,just be your self and trust me if your man loves u as much as u hve proclaimed,he will defo tell alot about u to his momma.so jst be calm and show respect to her and all will be well.Good luck
wink
Re: Newly Engaged To A Wonderful Man That Is Half Igbo - Needs Help by ikeyman00(m): 12:27am On Apr 23, 2009
^^^^

being urself not goodd enuff; just be patient more, well better advice on the way
Re: Newly Engaged To A Wonderful Man That Is Half Igbo - Needs Help by Hollysmile: 1:38am On Apr 23, 2009
You can't fool a nigerian mother wit dat (speakin ha lang). Bein urself is de ultimate thin 2do. If he loves u, he surely wil put de ring on it!
Wow! Dat guy must be de Nigerian Obama i've long prayed 2emerge. Where has he been? Rotflol.
Re: Newly Engaged To A Wonderful Man That Is Half Igbo - Needs Help by naimkhan: 4:13pm On Apr 24, 2009
i wona see my life patner for married if some 1 there soo pls i m here dont go awy
Re: Newly Engaged To A Wonderful Man That Is Half Igbo - Needs Help by Igwe9(m): 5:04pm On Apr 24, 2009
Hey Niko_P!

It's normal for every parent, just be yourself, she will like you with time.

It's also good if you can speak little Igbo to her like[b] Kedu [/b](how are you? in English), this will atleast amuse and rekindle her spirit, in return make her develop affection for you.
Re: Newly Engaged To A Wonderful Man That Is Half Igbo - Needs Help by unfaded(m): 5:24pm On Apr 24, 2009
@poster:are u nigerian?, if uare how long have you being away?
Re: Newly Engaged To A Wonderful Man That Is Half Igbo - Needs Help by Leilah(f): 6:54pm On Apr 24, 2009
Whirlwind affair and now you are engaged! just make sure he is REALLY is HALF african american,
Re: Newly Engaged To A Wonderful Man That Is Half Igbo - Needs Help by ofala(m): 7:03pm On Apr 24, 2009
@Poster,
what made you beleive or think that this sais-soonn--to-be-mother-in-law of yours may not approve you as a DAUGHTER? Has she said asmuch to her son or to you on the phone?I will tell you something here,EVERY of her actions and reaction will be based on how much strong or weak your lover is, did you get me?you can read it again.If your lover loves you enough and believes you are the Angel that will colour his life,i can tell you from experience that he can 'convince' anybody,whoever the person is,to take you the way the person takes him, very simple.So just 'work' on your man but do not let himknow that you are scared of his people,just let him know that you will be happy to be accepted fully by every member of his family and you two can cooly talk it over and move-in, ok? BEST OF LUCK
Re: Newly Engaged To A Wonderful Man That Is Half Igbo - Needs Help by pirobaba(m): 8:42pm On Apr 24, 2009
dear, what you need to know is that majority of our nigerian moms are protective of thier sons -especially those close to thier heart. they feel they want the best for thier son(s) so they go on suspecting and checking before they come to full acceptance, you are a woman you know what i mean.

on the other side, women are very intelligent especially mothers. and for you to deal freely with them it means thier spirit has to accept you. i.e i mean there must be a bond-connection. and how do you do this, you must spend more time with her on phone or otherwise, tell her things freely and honestly ask for her opinion, discuss wityh her as you'll do with your mom. -discuss your period, discuss anything feminine, but don't talk much of her son just give an honest but positive criticism. okay?

secondly, you just have to work on your guy. for he has the keys. but i bet you it's better to get closer and be accepted by your boyfriend's mother than the guy himself for even if somthing happens the mom will exert pressure to bring you back. and to be close to a mom, you just have to do those simple thinbgs MOTHERS like, okay.
Re: Newly Engaged To A Wonderful Man That Is Half Igbo - Needs Help by adconline(m): 2:34am On Apr 25, 2009
Whirlwind affair and now you are engaged! just make sure he is REALLY is HALF african american,

wat so wrong about being half americam? I thought Obama proved skeptics like you wrong

(1) (Reply)

You Guys Will Never Stop Amazing Me / Is this normal? / Disvirgined On The Sit Of Lies

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.