Stats: 3,152,391 members, 7,815,834 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:10 PM

Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 3 - Travel (169) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 3 (852242 Views)

Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 4 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (166) (167) (168) (169) (170) (171) (172) ... (401) (Go Down)

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 3 by IjayMama: 9:40pm On Dec 19, 2015
Regarding Stanbic & getting PTA, been on the matter for over a week. I did have to open an account with them but was told they are out of $ till January and don't know when in January it'll be available. So January travellers like me are in the hot seat esp considering the current $ rates knowing it will not get any better soon. Abeg to those who explored the First Bank Western union transfer...did it pan out?
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 3 by Nogen: 9:44pm On Dec 19, 2015
Welcome on.board Luicious.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 3 by Nobody: 9:51pm On Dec 19, 2015
IjayMama:
Regarding Stanbic & getting PTA, been on the matter for over a week. I did have to open an account with them but was told they are out of $ till January and don't know when in January it'll be available. So January travellers like me are in the hot seat esp considering the current $ rates knowing it will not get any better soon. Abeg to those who explored the First Bank Western union transfer...did it pan out?

Please I contacted stanbic via their call centre and I was told they don't have, but from what you are saying I may have to move my funds to stanbic so I can have an account with them just in case cos DW is set to leave in feb.

Please are u based in lag if yes what branch of stanbic did u go to
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 3 by oluwafunkenny: 9:55pm On Dec 19, 2015
I was told by Stanbic staff that a month old account is what they can use for PTA, maybe that was why they said you should wait till January.
While not explore FBN asap before they also reach their limit or CBN change policy. Access has reached theirs.

@ Favoredgal, have dropped the idea of PTA for now cos I only want to go on biz. trip, I think will go for western. Union, a friend will collect overthere, credit my account while I shop online.
IjayMama:
Regarding Stanbic & getting PTA. Abeg to those who explored the First Bank Western union transfer...did it pan out?
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 3 by merrymum: 9:56pm On Dec 19, 2015
Yello all. For those who want an app to call naija at cheaper rates, just installed Rebtel, they have a package of 250mins for $5 to call Nigerian numbers. That's like 2 cents per minute... Check it out...

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 3 by oluwafunkenny: 10:03pm On Dec 19, 2015
For mothers in US and the preggies planning to go, kindly consider getting your diaper, wipes, baby milk, cereals and so on if you can afford them at that point. Prices of these in Naija ain't smiling now, a friend couldn't get size 3 huggies for her baby girl today in my area. Thanks again to this forum for giving us estimate of diaper one will use and checklist of what to buy when coming.

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 3 by favoredgal: 10:50pm On Dec 19, 2015
oluwafunkenny:
I was told by Stanbic staff that a month old account is what they can use for PTA, maybe that was why they said you should wait till January.
While not explore FBN asap before they also reach their limit or CBN change policy. Access has reached theirs.

@ Favoredgal, have dropped the idea of PTA for now cos I only want to go on biz. trip, I think will go for western. Union, a friend will collect overthere, credit my account while I shop online.

That's not why. Stanbic doesn't have PTA at the moment. My husband has an over 5 years account with them. No bank does at the moment, where he no waka go on Friday.

As per FBN western union who has successfully done it recently?
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 3 by favoredgal: 10:53pm On Dec 19, 2015
IjayMama:

January travelers. Una stil get time nah. What of people leaving this weekend/ next week. No PTA anywhere, even the western union most banks are out of their quota for the quarter (at least Jan is a new quarter)

Lot of uncertainties if bank cards will still work offshore once it's Jan first. Seems the only option now is to buy black market which of course is at an all time high of 280 to a dollar

This are not good times to be out of the country
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 3 by ozycy: 11:14pm On Dec 19, 2015
friend:

I arrived Houston yesterday, I was sent for secondary inspection.

Please, where is the best place to do shopping for the baby, I'm due in 4 weeks. I'm in Missouri city Houston. Also assist with the checklist

Thank GOD for safe trip.
Check carter's, walmart, Toys R US/ babies R US
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 3 by bizzle6: 11:20pm On Dec 19, 2015
Try dr Marcos ikeda of houston northwest medical centre. You could Google to get more info on him.

emeldamicheals:
Hello wonderful people of this forum. Compliments of the season to you all and congrats to all the new nairaland american babies. Welcome to the world.
Please, everyone, still on the matter. I don tire. To get a VBAC friendly doctor hard pass the US visa itself. My money don finish say I dey load card call US. VBAC means Vaginal birth after a C-Section.
Wonderful Tobermom assisted me with one in NYC but if you happen to proceed to CS for any reason, the money is sth else. I am really playing safe.
Please, can anyone assist me with a hospital and a VBAC friendly doctor. If possible, within a total of 5k USD. It seems there are no much VBAC mums here.
I will really appreciate any assistance I can get as am almost giving up hope.
Thanks.....
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 3 by LI(m): 11:27pm On Dec 19, 2015
Amazon, Buybuy baby, Ross, Walmart, babies r us

friend:

Please, where is the best place to do shopping for the baby, I'm due in 4 weeks. I'm in Missouri city Houston. Also assist with the checklist

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 3 by yokus(f): 11:29pm On Dec 19, 2015
Thanks Nerf... i no want mistake or accident again ni, it has happened to me and about 3 pple i know. I guess i just worry. I react to copper T, hence my curiousity about Mirena. But u r right, i can stil get mirena in Nig.
@ Favoured... thanks 4 d info dear

Something that is free your local govt health centre? 10yrs own sef, mirena is about 3-5yrs.
Aunty, no vex, banish that thought, come and do family planning at home. US o! Cotonou o! All na family planning[/quote]
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 3 by Amother4life: 11:43pm On Dec 19, 2015
Licious801:
In the spirit of giving back;
I and fiance (now hubby) got Chinese visas in 2010. 3 months, one entry. I got a job within that period so we couldn't make the trip. Fast forward to 2015 Sept, we just found out we were expecting number 2 and decided to have the baby in the US. We renewed our passports, got one for our daughter and then contacted an agent and paid him for everything. Our interview was on the 25th of Nov. We went that morning with our burden of proof, Hubby's biz documents, bank details, letter of introduction from my office, emolument letter, letter stating I was going to be on leave in Dec cos we stated we'll be traveling on the 20th of Dec to spend 2 weeks in the US, 6 months payslips, 6 months bank details, marriage certificate cos I still use my maiden name.
Our interview went like this:
Us: good morning
Vo: good morning. Passports please. I see your daughter can't be interviewed today. What's the problem? We explained that there was a mistake with her barcode and we were told to reschedule her interview for a later date after sorting it out
Vo; hand me the passport let me see if there's anything I can do to help. He checked and crosschecked on his computer, then handed it back to us saying he was sorry there was nothing he could do about it we'll just have to reschedule. We said thanks for trying
Vo; What do you want to do in the US?
Hubby: vacation
Vo: Where would you stay?
Hubby: we already booked a hotel in Houston Texas. Vo checked to confirm
Vo: why Houston?
Hubby: cos of the weather won't be as cold as other states in December
Vo: do you have family in the US?
Both of us: no
Vo to hubby:what do you do and how much do you earn
Hubby: I do Bleep, my pay depends on the particular job and client
Vo; what's the range?
Hubby; it really varies
Vo: so how much did you make last month?
Hubby: Bleep
Vo: wow! That's impressive
I was adviced by my colleague to hang my ID card. So the vo saw it and asked: how long have you worked in xxxx
Me: 3 years
Vo: what's you job description? I told him.
Vo: how much do you earn
Me: Bleep
Vo: enjoy your vacation in Houston. Handed us a white paper and asked us to pick up our passports on Monday
My daughter's interview has been rescheduled for 31st Dec. We did all we could but they said she has to be finger printed
Sorry for the long post. Lol

You guys knew you were pregnant as at the time of being interviewed but kept that information. Sending change of intent letter might help you if you avoid the tough poes'. These people calculate during secondary inspection to determine if u were pregnant during interview. So, stay clear of Houston and Chicago poe for your own sake.

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 3 by Mandydaisy: 11:45pm On Dec 19, 2015
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 3 by nefertitiram: 12:36am On Dec 20, 2015
oluwafunkenny:
For mothers in US and the preggies planning to go, kindly consider getting your diaper, wipes, baby milk, cereals and so on if you can afford them at that point. Prices of these in Naija ain't smiling now, a friend couldn't get size 3 huggies for her baby girl today in my area. Thanks again to this forum for giving us estimate of diaper one will use and checklist of what to buy when coming.
while waiting for my shipment to arrive i had to buy huggies in my area. I bought a pack of size 3 (not carton, 72 in a pack) for 4k, which i think is a good deal, almost same as US price sef.

Some stores may still carry old stock

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 3 by afrobrown2000: 12:53am On Dec 20, 2015
already using rebtel and the rates i see are $8 for 140 mins and 19.99 or 500mins,,,,...searched for the $5 deal.....i no seeoooo....
merrymum:
Yello all. For those who want an app to call naija at cheaper rates, just installed Rebtel, they have a package of 250mins for $5 to call Nigerian numbers. That's like 2 cents per minute... Check it out...
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 3 by afrobrown2000: 1:10am On Dec 20, 2015
considering that cos i cant swipe here any longer...will just call sum1 to do a market survey for the present prices(@least stock before the dollar increment) then compare prices+logistics.and transfer cash to the person asap..for now cant swipe for things like diapers...etc..except clothing tongue winks
nefertitiram:

while waiting for my shipment to arrive i had to buy huggies in my area. I bought a pack of size 3 (not carton, 72 in a pack) for 4k, which i think is a good deal, almost same as US price sef.

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 3 by nefertitiram: 1:12am On Dec 20, 2015
afrobrown2000:
considering that cos i cant swipe here any longer...will just call sum1 to do a market survey for the present prices(@least stock before the dollar increment) then compare prices+logistics.and transfer cash to the person asap..for now cant swipe for things like diapers...etc..except clothings

I bought at caprique on ogunlana drive, surulere and also checked price at honey kidz, same ogunlana drive, no significant difference. Just look for where dey av a lot of old stock and charter frm there
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 3 by bbaby84(f): 1:16am On Dec 20, 2015
oluwafunkenny:

What area if I may ask? As I bought size 3 a few weeks ago for 13, 500 I think. Once we are done with this carton we are moving to 4
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 3 by bbaby84(f): 1:35am On Dec 20, 2015
nefertitiram:

This stuff hasn't come still. Na wa o.
What excuse are they giving? Is it when baby is 6 months it will come?
If I were you, I'll bombard them with calls.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 3 by bbaby84(f): 1:43am On Dec 20, 2015
[quote author=omodadi post=41159249]Good evening all. I must confess I got a lot of information on this forum because I never had any info about this topic despite the fact that birthubg in the state is my dream. But I realised that the trend in the choice of hospitals and cities have changed over the years; 2011 to 2015. Moreso, from this forum I realised I suppose to have started the whole process before now. All I have is a Virgin naija passport, though I was supposed to go to Dubai last month but couldn't make it because hubby's visa wasn't ready till my leave days got exhausted. We only have tickets that we can amend to go if we have the time.

Hi,
I'm glad you took the advise and joined.
You can start by going through @Phema,@tvegas
, @olokings, @bjgolf posts etc You'll surely get a lot of info, don't forget to have a pen and notepad handy.
All the best!
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 3 by jacksparow(m): 2:17am On Dec 20, 2015
Noted.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 3 by merrymum: 2:36am On Dec 20, 2015
[quote author=afrobrown2000 post=41164885]already using rebtel and the rates i see are $8 for 140 mins and 19.99 or 500mins,,,,...searched for the $5 deal.....i no seeoooo....[/

Go to http://www.rebtel.com/?gclid=CjwKEAiAndSzBRDp5P232v-qtHkSJABw-VdtTKQxw-b2Fe_8adG1FcpY9kIom5j6om6zvVZWZmjv0BoCzbXw_wcB. You won't see it on the app itself. It says for new users, but that doesn't matter. I've done it twice.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 3 by jenyjay: 3:19am On Dec 20, 2015
omodadi:
Good evening all. I must confess I got a lot of information on this forum because I never had any info about this topic despite the fact that birthubg in the state is my dream. But I realised that the trend in the choice of hospitals and cities have changed over the years; 2011 to 2015. Moreso, from this forum I realised I suppose to have started the whole process before now. All I have is a Virgin naija passport, though I was supposed to go to Dubai last month but couldn't make it because hubby's visa wasn't ready till my leave days got exhausted. We only have tickets that we can amend to go if we have the time.
Now, my questions.
I don't mind if I can have any aspiring mum that will be due in May so we can plan together, my email is azeezatsule@yahoo.ca
I also need to know the hosp, doc, poe, in trend now. Cos at first I thought the El paso/doctoesparati was ok, but in the later post am seeing oakbend and others. Pls asist me with updated info.
And now I need to start to apply for visa itself, how do I go about that please. You can asist me with sharing the link here. Thanks so much.

Well for me I don't think you must have a travel history especially when going for the interview with DH. US was the first to disvirgin my passport.I went with hubby who had a good history.He had been to France like 4 times ,spent 3months on one of the ocassions,been to Barcelona as bar a fan and so.

I think if ur hubby has a good travel history,you are working,and have personal ties here,with prayer you will be given
My opinion though.

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 3 by Amother4life: 4:00am On Dec 20, 2015
Banks to stop use of ATM cards abroad from January 1st!!! shocked shocked embarassed embarassed

http://www.punchng.com/banks-stop-use-of-atm-cards-abroad/
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 3 by zoemummy: 5:07am On Dec 20, 2015
oluwafunkenny:

Thanks Funkenny! Kindly share the checklist or guide on the relevant page. I must have missed it. The last I saw was how to estimate on Diapers by firsty. Kindly share. Thanks!

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 3 by Emeraldchic: 7:12am On Dec 20, 2015
Licious801:

Just try to read back. A number of people have given birth in and around new York on this thread but I can't remember their names cos I wasn't interested. But since that's what you want it won't take time. You don't have to start from part one cos I saw a good number in this part. Or better still, do a search

Thanks Licious801
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 3 by Egonne1(f): 7:47am On Dec 20, 2015
I did Western Union outbound two weeks ago to my sister in the US with Fbn Marina branch. And there were other customers in the branch for same transaction and I can confirm that Western Union outbound is still available as at today. The only thing is that the moneygram option exhaust quickly so just go for the Western Union. There is also the Ria. Under the outbound transfer, there is moneygram, Western Union and Ria. Ria charges are the cheapest but from my calculation, their exchange rate is higher than the others. Moneygram charges is cheaper than Western Union which is why it finishes early. Was at the branch at 8:20am and was told moneygram limit for the day has been exhausted. If u r in Lagos, u can try Marina. Branch FirstBank. But please go early as there is limit for the day.
favoredgal:

That's not why. Stanbic doesn't have PTA at the moment. My husband has an over 5 years account with them. No bank does at the moment, where he no waka go on Friday.

As per FBN western union who has successfully done it recently?

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 3 by Egonne1(f): 7:51am On Dec 20, 2015
Hi, I birthed my first in New York. united Memorial Medical center. Just go to their website www.ummc.org and fill the contact us card there. Someone from the financial department would contact you. I lost access to my email address used in corresponding with them. Would have sent their details. But they do not waste time in responding to mails. I enjoyed their service. The thing though is you won't know your total bill till you are done. I birthed through cs and the total bill for mother and child was about 7k+ round figure 8k. Although it's not inclusive of epidural. Got the epidural bill months after I had returned. So I asked for discount which they gave and I spread payment over a year. All the best.
Emeraldchic:
[color=#006600][/color]
Hello house,

Let me start by appreciating everyone who has in one way or the other assisted with valuable information. May God bless you all.

Please has anyone in the house given birth in any hospital in newyork? Please assist with hospital contact and any information/experience that may be of help. Thanks
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 3 by Emeraldchic: 7:58am On Dec 20, 2015
Egonne1:
Hi, I birthed my first in New York. united Memorial Medical center. Just go to their website www.ummc.org and fill the contact us card there. Someone from the financial department would contact you. I lost access to my email address used in corresponding with them. Would have sent their details. But they do not waste time in responding to mails. I enjoyed their service. The thing though is you won't know your total bill till you are done. I birthed through cs and the total bill for mother and child was about 7k+ round figure 8k. Although it's not inclusive of epidural. Got the epidural bill months after I had returned. So I asked for discount which they gave and I spread payment over a year. All the best.

Wow. Thanks for this great information. God bless you
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 3 by Tvegas(m): 8:14am On Dec 20, 2015
How's everyone doing? heard dollar is now 270 naira, with the look of things its heading to 300. I did my first missionary journey at 165. It's time to pray for our country and grace for every parent using these outrageous rates to prepare a better future for their children. Merry Christmas

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 3 by firsttymum(f): 8:48am On Dec 20, 2015
omodadi:
Good evening all. I must confess I got a lot of information on this forum because I never had any info about this topic despite the fact that birthubg in the state is my dream. But I realised that the trend in the choice of hospitals and cities have changed over the years; 2011 to 2015. Moreso, from this forum I realised I suppose to have started the whole process before now. All I have is a Virgin naija passport, though I was supposed to go to Dubai last month but couldn't make it because hubby's visa wasn't ready till my leave days got exhausted. We only have tickets that we can amend to go if we have the time

Now, my questions.
I don't mind if I can have any aspiring mum that will be due in May so we can plan together, my email is azeezatsule@yahoo.ca
I always wonder how this works.... Seriously
Considering you haven't even applied for visa or made up ur mind about Hospital

I also need to know the hosp, doc, poe, in trend now. Cos at first I thought the El paso/doctoesparati was ok, but in the later post am seeing oakbend and others. Pls asist me with updated info.
Now this is a first... I don't even know how to reply this really... It's an interesting question. Plus u have been going through the thread you shld have concluded this by now.... At least almost

And now I need to start to apply for visa itself, how do I go about that please. You can asist me with sharing the link here. Thanks so much

We shld post d link for visa application? Wow
Google is our friend darling... Use d search button.

Plus you shld go through the thread properly cos ur questions doesn't seem like u have...

When u have gone through the thread well with ur jotters or munching skill... Anything you don't understand or want additional information on, we r here to help

(1) (2) (3) ... (166) (167) (168) (169) (170) (171) (172) ... (401)

Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 20 / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 7 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 18

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91