Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,601 members, 7,816,493 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:56 AM

Augustine University: First Catholic University In Lagos Opens - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Augustine University: First Catholic University In Lagos Opens (84610 Views)

Apply For Australian Catholic University Scholarship 2018 / Augustine Ariwodo Ibegbulam Is Dead / Niger Delta University First And Second Batch Admission List For 2015/2016 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Augustine University: First Catholic University In Lagos Opens by Nobody: 6:52am On Oct 18, 2015
Skymiyke:
In my own federal Uni,skul fees is-16750,accommodation-7090,100lvl I paid just 35k as a fresher!Dame,all dis private uni are sure exploiting us!Lord have mercy
udmbat:
At Funaab, i paid
100L- 26,000
200L- 13,999
300L- 12,999
400L- 12,999
500L- 12,999

Total- 78,996

Yes....because the federal government is subsidising your fees....and because your university does not rely on the fees to pay staff or build hostels and other facilities.

1 Like

Re: Augustine University: First Catholic University In Lagos Opens by Nobody: 6:52am On Oct 18, 2015
At Funaab, i paid 100L- 26,000 200L- 13,999 300L- 12,999 400L- 12,999 500L- 12,999
Total- 78,996

1 Like

Re: Augustine University: First Catholic University In Lagos Opens by anonimi: 6:52am On Oct 18, 2015
peterjero:

In harvard you pay up to 56,000 dollars if you convert to naira using bank rate of 199, it will give you 11,144,000 naira. However you look at it, education in nigeria is very cheap that's why we are all half baked.

Are Indians, Chinese, Russians half baked compared to Americans to expand on your logic
Re: Augustine University: First Catholic University In Lagos Opens by peterjero(m): 6:55am On Oct 18, 2015
anonimi:

Are Indians, Chinese, Russians half baked compared to Americans to expand on your logic
Try to Google how much they pay and compare it to ours, and please try as much as possible to be open minded and you will see why the Americans rule the world.

1 Like

Re: Augustine University: First Catholic University In Lagos Opens by Nobody: 6:55am On Oct 18, 2015
Simitrendy:

Thank God for Federal University

Acceptance Fee=20,000
Bank Charges = 500

School Fees =76,000
Bank Charges= 500

Accommodation=22,000

I mean for Fresher's oh!

And u will still be given UNILORIN Tab

Even sef SUG go give u school bag

Even dem go give u flash drive

When you are in Part 2,3,4 u will go back to 30K

U will def spend that #730,000 For your undergraduate degree in a Federal University. grin

Tho Private Universities are good to some extent wink

But I thank God for d Federal Uni I dey grin

That is on the high side. Even as a fresher, schools like ABU, Uniben, FUTA. etc will cost far less. Between 30 to 40k.
Re: Augustine University: First Catholic University In Lagos Opens by Nobody: 6:56am On Oct 18, 2015
anonimi:

Lots...infact hundreds of Indians, Chinese and Russians go to US universities to study....and pay the same high fees.

Plus.....China and Russia have GDP's higher than Nigeria by far....because they are industrial nations, not poor resoruce dependent nations like Nigeria.

What's your point.?

Modified.....Science students in China pay US $1,800-6,400....ie...360000-1.2million naira.

Source:http://news.at0086.com/China-Universities/The-university-fees-in-China.html

2 Likes

Re: Augustine University: First Catholic University In Lagos Opens by deflover(m): 6:58am On Oct 18, 2015
the roman catholic church is a scam...it has always been a scam...little wonder they like choice real estate.....even in your villages look well you will notice they always build their churches in the prime areas....all they care about is real estate and fees.... mother mary will be dancing in hell because the real mary is innocent in heaven worshiping God and shouting i no send una to call me immaculate oh....i no be queen of heaven oh...i no be queen of the world oh.....make una no let baba God change him mind send me go hell oh grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Augustine University: First Catholic University In Lagos Opens by Nobody: 6:59am On Oct 18, 2015
mmsen:
The Catholic Church has a history of ripping off its parishioners.

No one should be surprised by this.

i'm a catholic too. But as painful as this sounds its very true. I'm still there because of my parents. And cos i've not even known what churcn to port to.
Re: Augustine University: First Catholic University In Lagos Opens by Nobody: 7:06am On Oct 18, 2015
deflover:
the roman catholic church is a scam...it has always been a scam...little wonder they like choice real estate.....even in your villages look well you will notice they always build their churches in the prime areas....all they care about is real estate and fees.... mother mary will be dancing in hell because the real mary is innocent in heaven worshiping God and shouting i no send una to call me immaculate oh....i no be queen of heaven oh...i no be queen of the world oh.....make una no let baba God change him mind send me go hell oh grin grin grin grin grin
sexfabregas:

i'm a catholic too. But as painful as this sounds its very true. I'm still there because of my parents. And cos i've not even known what churcn to port to.
So.....how much do you think a university in Nigeria should pay in fees?

How much?

Especially when the government is not funding the university, and when the costs of running a university are $110million per annum.

We get it.....you don't like the Catholic Church. Even I am critical of its doctrines. But.....it still does not make running a university cheaper.

Better wake up. Nigerian universities run by government are in a bad way because of poor funding. Private unviersities recieve zero funding from govt. And the Nigerian branch of the Catholic Church runs lots of schools, churches,and other organisations. And all of them have staff that must be paid fair salaries. Where does that leave money for the University?

You Nigerians better stop tolerating bad government, and looterocrats.....and demand better .....so that Nigeria becomes an industrial and developed country.....with a high GDP....which will enable us to do free education like Germany.
Re: Augustine University: First Catholic University In Lagos Opens by Nobody: 7:08am On Oct 18, 2015
Cant the catholic church fund theres themselves? Dont they get offerings and tithes like government get taxes? As long as over 80% of their members cant afford the fees, it is definetely a business and not a missionary rubbish.
bushdoc9919:

Yes....because the federal government is subsidising your fees....and because your university does not rely on the fees to pay staff or build hostels and other facilities.

1 Like

Re: Augustine University: First Catholic University In Lagos Opens by MbashrexBashir(m): 7:08am On Oct 18, 2015
Students of the Augustine University will have access to
the internet and other relevant facilities, with the highest
fee put at 730,000 Naira, according to the Vice
Chancellor.

If its Saraki or one politician wailers will start shouting corruption. What every body is corrupt in this country not even the religion bodies are exempted. 730k aw dd you expect mi a son of class room teacher dat has 4 out of my siblings studying in a Uni to attend such school when my DAD is running helter scelter to pay the school fees of my broda hu are in unilorin nd unibadan. I feel sorry for poor Nigerians. The politician nd the religious bodies are the source of our problem...
Re: Augustine University: First Catholic University In Lagos Opens by Nobody: 7:14am On Oct 18, 2015
udmbat:
Cant the catholic church fund theres themselves? Dont they get offerings and tithes like government get taxes? As long as over 80% of their members cant afford the fees, it is definetely a business and not a missionary rubbish.

The same Catholic church also funds lots of schools across the country....primary and secondary and even tertiary. It also funds a lot of other organisations, and has welfare projects in the rural and urban areas....which help their members and non members . As well as health facilities. And it pays lots of staff and clergy.

And on top of all that....it sets up another university.

Where will they find the funds for all that....and a university...which costs up to $110million per annum to fund heavily.

And university staff...who have to be paid at the same rate as Govt university staff.....

There is no such thing as a free lunch.

If you don't like it....go to your N20000 per annum Federal University.

(I am not a Catholic....so don't go there).
Re: Augustine University: First Catholic University In Lagos Opens by anonimi: 7:17am On Oct 18, 2015
peterjero:

Try to Google how much they pay and compare it to ours, and please try as much as possible to be open minded and you will see why the Americans rule the world.

YOU said we Nigerians are half baked because we pay small fees compared to Harvard, not so? I asked you whether other countries are also half baked because they pay less than your Harvard. The next thing you ask me to compare Nigerian fees with those other countries. Abeg where is the correlation?

You may wish to note that there are many Nigerians educated here till university who are TEACHING in your American Havard universities. They are surely not half baked, or are they

Americans do NOT rule the world. They are very important vis-a-vis other countries but can be and frequently are checkmated by other countries- notably Russia & China.

STOP being self-defeated. It is dangerous to your health, particularly when you are NOT doing anything concrete to change your [individual & societal] situation, even on this topic of education funding. Abi what have you done for your old schools-

- primary
- technical
- vocational
- secondary
- polytechnic
- university

What have you done

Complaining about others- government, churches, mosques, shrines- is easy but what about us? What are we doing?
Re: Augustine University: First Catholic University In Lagos Opens by peterjero(m): 7:17am On Oct 18, 2015
bushdoc9919:

Lots...infact hundreds of Indians, Chinese and Russians go to US universities to study....and pay the same high fees.

Plus.....China and Russia have GDP's higher than Nigeria by far....because they are industrial nations, not poor resoruce dependent nations like Nigeria.

What's your point.?

Modified.....Science students in China pay US $1,800-6,400....ie...360000-1.2million naira.

Source:http://news.at0086.com/China-Universities/The-university-fees-in-China.html
Thanks for your well structured points, sometimes we just want to argue for just it's sake rather than trying to know why such things are done the way they are done. Public and private universities in nigeria are still very cheap compared to other countries.
Re: Augustine University: First Catholic University In Lagos Opens by Nobody: 7:17am On Oct 18, 2015
MbashrexBashir:
Students of the Augustine University will have access to
the internet and other relevant facilities, with the highest
fee put at 730,000 Naira, according to the Vice
Chancellor.

If its Saraki or one politician wailers will start shouting corruption. What every body is corrupt in this country not even the religion bodies are exempted. 730k aw dd you expect mi a son of class room teacher dat has 4 out of my siblings studying in a Uni to attend such school when my DAD is running helter scelter to pay the school fees of my broda hu are in unilorin nd unibadan. I feel sorry for poor Nigerians. The politician nd the religious bodies are the source of our problem...

You can still go to your Government university. They are cheap, and they are better than private universities, right? Right?
Re: Augustine University: First Catholic University In Lagos Opens by Nobody: 7:19am On Oct 18, 2015
chichriso:
check my signatures
guy how i go take do this kind signature where Christ picture show. Pls let me also have this kind signature
Re: Augustine University: First Catholic University In Lagos Opens by Nobody: 7:19am On Oct 18, 2015
bushdoc9919:

So.....how much do you think a university in Nigeria should pay in fees?

How much?

Especially when the government is not funding the university, and when the costs of running a university are $110million per annum.

We get it.....you don't like the Catholic Church. Even I am critical of its doctrines. But.....it still does not make running a university cheaper.

Better wake up. Nigerian universities run by government are in a bad way because of poor funding. Private unviersities recieve zero funding from govt. And the Nigerian branch of the Catholic Church runs lots of schools, churches,and other organisations. And all of them have staff that must be paid fair salaries. Where does that leave money for the University?

You Nigerians better stop tolerating bad government, and looterocrats.....and demand better .....so that Nigeria becomes an industrial and developed country.....with a high GDP....which will enable us to do free education like Germany.

lol mr man while my problem with catholic church is the current money craze. You need to attend a mass these days,you will be shocked 3 diffrent offertory collection,which does not include their rubbish harvest comitee fund raising bla bla bla. At the end of one year these harvest comitee members come out very rich. Note they claim there is no salary and benefits involved as they are working for God. The uni being run at 730k is pretty too high. The excuse of no govt support is just a dumb one. Before they started the uni they should have known. Peace.

1 Like

Re: Augustine University: First Catholic University In Lagos Opens by abouzaid: 7:20am On Oct 18, 2015
Ramos16:

You obviously are a very ignorant person, with very little intelligence, no offence smiley, I do not know where you get your news of the Catholic church spitting Oyedepo and his likes, last time I checked it was fellow "Pentecostal" worshipers that do the spitting..

Why I say you are not smart, why bring your case up now, when if you look around, you will see a lot of catholic schools which are the most expensive in the country, especially their secondary school... I have not heard of a Catholic school that is not expensive, never heard of... So I feel it is foolishness for you to think that the Catholics spite Oyedepo, they barely know him seff.. and anybody with good level of intelligence should be able to point out the obvious to them (the Catholics), if at all I believe your story...

Do not let you shear hate for something cloud your judgement, it is one thing to just hate something or somebody and speak of it, it is another to be able to make sound judgement void of mawkishness.... and this goes to every other person out there, that is thinking with their leg instead of their head.... fix it or leg up...
yours is the most intelligent quote so far, the vc said highest fees and the question they should have asked is "for what course" when i was at unn, social sciences paid about 20k, biological sciences about 40k, engineering about 60k, while medicals was about 100k ( all figures rounded up). the same structure is visible in Madonna so i don't think the fees are bad. if you compare it to other church owned schools in that region, it will still likely come out as the cheapest by far.

1 Like

Re: Augustine University: First Catholic University In Lagos Opens by Fearcom(m): 7:21am On Oct 18, 2015
nwadiuko1:
25million for everything or just tuition?

That should cover everything.

Then again it depends on the course. To study Medicine and law especially in Harvard, na die! Because there's medical and law school.
Re: Augustine University: First Catholic University In Lagos Opens by lemonadex1: 7:22am On Oct 18, 2015
Re: Augustine University: First Catholic University In Lagos Opens by anonimi: 7:24am On Oct 18, 2015
bushdoc9919:

Was China with its over 1 billion population having high GDP when it made education free & compulsory for all residents of its territory

Have you heard the word, SACRIFICE- individual & collective?
Re: Augustine University: First Catholic University In Lagos Opens by Jayuba(m): 7:28am On Oct 18, 2015
Churches preach charity but dont practice it.

1 Like

Re: Augustine University: First Catholic University In Lagos Opens by frankman365(m): 7:31am On Oct 18, 2015
It took the Catholic about 4yrs to build a university, but in the parish I used to worship, it has taken more than 20yrs and yet it is not completed. What a shame.
Re: Augustine University: First Catholic University In Lagos Opens by anonimi: 7:32am On Oct 18, 2015
bushdoc9919:

What's your point.?

Are there not also many Indians, Chinese and Russians who are well educated in their own countries that almighty America gives green card to come and work, teach & research in god's own country
Just as there are many Nigerians educated here who are poached yearly to share their knowledge to help America grow further.
Re: Augustine University: First Catholic University In Lagos Opens by peterjero(m): 7:32am On Oct 18, 2015
anonimi:

YOU said we Nigerians are half baked because we pay small fees compared to Harvard, not so? I asked you whether other countries are also half baked because they pay less than your Harvard. The next thing you ask me to compare Nigerian fees with those other countries. Abeg where is the correlation?

You may wish to note that there are many Nigerians educated here till university who are TEACHING in your American Havard universities. They are surely not half baked, or are they

Americans do NOT rule the world. They are very important vis-a-vis other countries but can be and frequently are checkmated by other countries- notably Russia & China.

STOP being self-defeated. It is dangerous to your health, particularly when you are NOT doing anything concrete to change your [individual & societal] situation, even on this topic of education funding. Abi what have you done for your old schools-

- primary
- technical
- vocational
- secondary
- polytechnic
- university

What have you done

Complaining about others- government, churches, mosques, shrines- is easy but what about us? What are we doing?
Reason I begged you to be open minded, would you find a Nigerian university graduate PhD holder lecturing in Harvard? My answer is a big NO. Would you find a Nigerian university graduate with a British or American post graduate degrees teaching in harvard probably yes. Nigerian education isn't well funded because we are a poor nation, as one poster rightly puts it "resource dependent nation" so the government which is our greatest problem knows, so they subsidise our fees in a lopsided manner in which the fees we pay are still not enough to produce world class students because even the basic teaching and aren't available. My brother you said what have I done? Do you think if I'm not a billionaire my contribution could be felt? Do you want my contribution to be lopsided? Please try to see that good education comes with a price. My brother go to the UK, no matter how challenged educationally a person is, education is sure because resources put down for education is humongous. On a lighter note, do you know that harvard university's resources is more than Lagos state ?
Re: Augustine University: First Catholic University In Lagos Opens by Nobody: 7:32am On Oct 18, 2015
anonimi:

Was China with its over 1 billion population having high GDP when it made education free & compulsory for all residents of its territory

Have you heard the word, SACRIFICE- individual & collective?

China is also something Nigeria is not....an Industrial society....which means that they have to have a good education system.

Also.....China's university entrance is not easy like JAMB and WAEC. Their equivalent exam is very very tough and selective.Not everyone goes to University.

Also....China being an industrial nation means that they have the GDP to pay for free education....not like Nigeria.

Finally....China's education system has been critiqued on the basis that it does not teach innovative thinking enough.
Re: Augustine University: First Catholic University In Lagos Opens by huthority01(m): 7:36am On Oct 18, 2015
The aim of missionary schools which is to give every child an equal chance to develop.
has been dashed, hmmm most especially in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Augustine University: First Catholic University In Lagos Opens by walozanga(m): 7:36am On Oct 18, 2015
ANOTHER SCAM LIKE MADONNA UNIVERSITY
Re: Augustine University: First Catholic University In Lagos Opens by Nobody: 7:36am On Oct 18, 2015
anonimi:

Are there not also many Indians, Chinese and Russians who are well educated in their own countries that almighty America gives green card to come and work, teach & research in god's own country
Just as there are many Nigerians educated here who are poached yearly to share their knowledge to help America grow further.

Just because some Nigerians go out....does not make everything all right in our education sector.

The honest truth is that many foreign students still go to the US because a US education gives you an edge over a local education.

We still need funding, more lecturers, more Phd'S and lots more money.

After all....in medicine...most of the research done into tropical medicine is done outside the tropics. We cannot do research because of poor funding.
Re: Augustine University: First Catholic University In Lagos Opens by Nobody: 7:38am On Oct 18, 2015
huthority01:
The aim of missionary schools which is to give every child an equal chance to develop.
has been dashed, hmmm most especially in Nigeria.

The Catholic Church still runs a lot of mission schools....at primary and secondary level.

A University is a different ball game. Lecturer salaries are higher, and facility needs are more extensive.
Re: Augustine University: First Catholic University In Lagos Opens by anonimi: 7:40am On Oct 18, 2015
peterjero:

Reason I begged you to be open minded, would you find a Nigerian university graduate PhD holder lecturing in Harvard? My answer is a big NO. Would you find a Nigerian university graduate with a British or American post graduate degrees teaching in harvard probably yes. Nigerian education isn't well funded because we are a poor nation, as one poster rightly puts it "resource dependent nation" so the government which is our greatest problem knows, so they subsidise our fees in a lopsided manner in which the fees we pay are still not enough to produce world class students because even the basic teaching and aren't available. My brother you said what have I done? Do you think if I'm not a billionaire my contribution could be felt? Do you want my contribution to be lopsided? Please try to see that good education comes with a price. My brother go to the UK, no matter how challenged educationally a person is, education is sure because resources put down for education is humongous. On a lighter note, do you know that harvard university's resources is more than Lagos state ?

You don't need to be a billionnaire to repaint a blackboard in your former primary school or do you
And the impact of that small, not-so-costly gesture will be felt for many years.

The alumni of those UK, USA universities who contribute SMALL amounts that are pooled to give the Nigerians post graduate scholarship that you mentioned are not billionaires. You can read up on that.

I see you are like many of us, a NATO- No Action, Talk Only.
Sad!
Patethic!!!
Re: Augustine University: First Catholic University In Lagos Opens by anonimi: 7:44am On Oct 18, 2015
bushdoc9919:

China is also something Nigeria is not....an Industrial society....which means that they have to have a good education system.

Also.....China's university entrance is not easy like JAMB and WAEC. Their equivalent exam is very very tough and selective.Not everyone goes to University.

Also....China being an industrial nation means that they have the GDP to pay for free education....not like Nigeria.

Finally....China's education system has been critiqued on the basis that it does not teach innovative thinking enough.

WHEN did China become an industrialised nation?

What was the role of free & compulsory education in that transformation?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

List Of Richest Students In University Of Lagos / Aerial And Ground Pictures Of The University Of Ghana / Female Student Performs Mouth Action On Her Classmate In South Africa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.