Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,392 members, 7,836,580 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 10:09 AM

Adebayo Shittu: "No Comment On Boko Haram, For My Family's Safety” - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Adebayo Shittu: "No Comment On Boko Haram, For My Family's Safety” (18779 Views)

Adebayo Shittu: I Want To Be Oyo Governor Because 2 Of My Wives Are From Ibadan / Adebayo Shittu Flies Economy Class From Abuja To Lagos / The Minister Of Communication Adebayo Shittu And His Wife Pictured (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Adebayo Shittu: "No Comment On Boko Haram, For My Family's Safety” by prettyboi1(m): 12:13pm On Oct 21, 2015
awa:
For making this statement, i think this man is not just a sympathizer but also might be in the know of the Boko Haram guys' activities or vice versa.

Hear this and I quote:
“They can claim to be anything,” the ministerial nominee. “They even claim to be a Christian; but if you are Christian and still goes to babalawo (herbalist), you are not really a Christian.

what kind of stupid analogy is this
Who said herbs given by Herbalists cannot be used to cure a christian sickness? I weep for this nation and it's leaders...
"Babalawo" means "witch doctor"...he was talking about a witch doctor, not a herbal doctor.
Re: Adebayo Shittu: "No Comment On Boko Haram, For My Family's Safety” by awa(m): 12:23pm On Oct 21, 2015
gists:

Still it doesn't mean he should come to senate and say "No Comment" as you suggested.
Agreed, the nation comes first before anything else. But one may also argue how is he going to perform his duties optimally if the live of his family is endangered? Not that I support what he said. To me he is just undiplomatic. There are "politically correct" answer he could have given that would not have raised this much dust. In essence, what I am saying is, I don't support his statement because it give BH some psychological boost, but truth be told, patriotism will be out of the window because 99.9% of us will not be able to function in any ministerial capacity if anything happens to anyone's family (including Buhari and yourself).

I rest my case, at least we have found a common premise in our discussion. "No comment" was an option I gave but read me again and see for yourself other options. However, I think in reality Patriotism would never be out of the window for any nation that wants to build truly democratic and egalitarian society. We can only protect ourselves by protecting the society and that forms the UBUNTU ideology I shared with you earlier.

Thanks for having had such a mature conversation with me devoid of name-callings which seem to have characterized NL lately
Re: Adebayo Shittu: "No Comment On Boko Haram, For My Family's Safety” by awa(m): 12:31pm On Oct 21, 2015
prettyboi1:

"Babalawo" means "witch doctor"...he was talking about a witch doctor, not a herbal doctor.

Prettyboi, the quote was not my intellectual property hence I had to react based on it.
Thanks for educating me on the connotative and denotative usage of the word in context.
That's merit of wazobia.
Re: Adebayo Shittu: "No Comment On Boko Haram, For My Family's Safety” by sweetgala(m): 12:34pm On Oct 21, 2015
amazingspiderma:

You have no basis for argument,been a native doctor does not necessary mean killing people.It is the traditional system of worship.
I know you are a teenager,which is why you don't know the fine line between religion politics,and the right right to human life.

Anyway like I said teenager,I don't fault you,it is too much Nigerian films.

Really teenager is that what it has descended to ! while I'm a supporter of traditionalism, I can assume that the context in which the nominee referred to an "herbalists" is that of a man who engages in perverse acts.

To the average Nigerian an herbalist, ritualist, baba alowo and voodoo priest are not the diviners and gatekeepers of the African cultures, rites snd traditions as they were to out forefathers but rather purveyors of sadistic and babaric acts. In that context what does the worshiper of a living God seek in the den of an ifa priest ?

The same hypocrisy pertains to the man who offers religion or death , those two are at odds. A man can not be forced to have a personal relationship with his God, it is a thing of the heart a desire to be close to your maker; anything but that is another ritual another social requirement.

The man could have made the same statement and left tee remark of his fear for repercussions if he were to enter the BH dabacle , why should he put himself in the crosshairs of the babaric animals for the pleasure of senators and Nigerians
Re: Adebayo Shittu: "No Comment On Boko Haram, For My Family's Safety” by saint047(m): 12:36pm On Oct 21, 2015
I watched his screening session, and from his speech and my Observations were dis...;

1). Mr Shittu is an Extremist.
He only denied BH like every other Muslims ve been doing dat dey re not Muslims. Whereas dey are..

2). He said in quote " I don't want to talk abt BH because I still ve my family to take care of"... (As if our military dat ve been dying since dis insurgency came alive don't ve families).
In a nut shell, it means Mr Shittu knows those behind BH Dats why he feared for his life.

Honestly, Nigeria is a lawless country where we tend to ignore d truth as a result of religious and tribal sentiments.
Bcuz in Advance countries, dat statement he jokingly uttered "I don't want to talk abt BH cuz I ve my family to take care of" is enough evidence dat he knows those involved which makes him a prime suspect, not qualified to be a Minister and he would ve been investigated..

I will continue to say dis, BH will only be destroyed( wit d help of God) wen this Extremists in/out of government re ready to speak d truth..

1 Like

Re: Adebayo Shittu: "No Comment On Boko Haram, For My Family's Safety” by sweetgala(m): 12:45pm On Oct 21, 2015
gists:

It is a ministerial screening for God's sake and you want him to say no comment. Later you still come here and say he is tactically supporting the terrorists. Even though I may not support all his points, the fact is that the man has been frank and candid. And where did you see muslims celebrating BH killing non-muslims?

I don't know how, there is a certain manner in which Nigerians spread false news, the BH Menace has been condemned from the get go, Emirs have been attacked and some killed for speaking up, all mosques who teach against BH and extremism have been bombed and Muslim clerics killed.

I don't know what would satisfy the bigoted Christians , when the good guys are being killed and no compassion is had for them, when scores of Muslims die its just another BH incident when a church is bombed it becomes "BH are attacking Christians"

It's a catch 22 for the good guys up north fighting BH because if they don't speak for fear of repercussions they are accused of supporting BH , when they do they are not praised for doing so or protected and their deaths are disposed as inconsequential.

Look at the many youths in the JTF who have been a massive help to the fight against insurgency the mass of them are Muslim youths of age not different to BH. When was the last time their heroics was celebrated. It's very comfortable fighting social justice on social platforms while in Lagos or Enugu but when you are facing the barrel of a gun held by maniacs social commentary has to be precaticed with caution.

1 Like

Re: Adebayo Shittu: "No Comment On Boko Haram, For My Family's Safety” by amazingspiderma: 12:47pm On Oct 21, 2015
sweetgala:

Really teenager is that what it has descended to ! while I'm a supporter of traditionalism, I can assume that the context in which the nominee referred to an "herbalists" is that of a man who engages in perverse acts.

To the average Nigerian an herbalist, ritualist, baba alowo and voodoo priest are not the diviners and gatekeepers of the African cultures, rites snd traditions as they were to out forefathers but rather purveyors of sadistic and babaric acts. In that context what does the worshiper of a living God seek in the den of an ifa priest ?

The same hypocrisy pertains to the man who offers religion or death , those two are at odds. A man can not be forced to have a personal relationship with his God, it is a thing of the heart a desire to be close to your maker; anything but that is another ritual another social requirement.

The man could have made the same statement and left tee remark of his fear for repercussions if he were to enter the BH dabacle , why should he put himself in the crosshairs of the babaric animals for the pleasure of senators and Nigerians

Apology for calling you a teenager,but the bottom line is that the current circumstances in Nigeria demand patriotism.
This is a man who will be attending security meetings as a member of the Federal Council Executive.
He want the benefits and not the total baggage.If he can't stand the heat,he should stay out of the kitchen.

Once again apologies.
Re: Adebayo Shittu: "No Comment On Boko Haram, For My Family's Safety” by staggerman(m): 12:49pm On Oct 21, 2015
Before you all condemn Mr Shittu, Please remember that he is a simple civilian, not a trained military man. His duty is first to his family, before political aspiration.

2 Likes

Re: Adebayo Shittu: "No Comment On Boko Haram, For My Family's Safety” by sweetgala(m): 12:57pm On Oct 21, 2015
amazingspiderma:

Apology for calling you a teenager,but the bottom line is that the current circumstances in Nigeria demand patriotism.
This is a man who will be attending security meetings as a member of the Federal Council Executive.
He want the benefits and not the total baggage.If he can't stand the heat,he should stay out of the kitchen.

Once again apologies.

Patriotism is only effective when there are people who share the same true allegiance to the flag and can appreciate, Support ,encourage and reward such with honour.

How many of our senators are patriotic beyond their personal quest for material gain, how many Nigerians beyond their tribal sentiments pledge all allegiance to the federal cause. We spend our digital time bickering about "federal character" , indigenous rights , tribal expansion , the incessant referral by people eastern extraction to out beloved nation as the "zoo"and its northern and western inhabitants by extension animals.

What is patriotic when a quarter of the country desire to protest a change that may be best for us all for tribal gain. Elections are 4 months over and you'd think the president is the Antichrist the manner he is discussed by certain elements.

What's patriotic when unsolicited speech by some Yoruba elders heat the polity because of an abduction , when the only solution to injustice in the ND according to MEND is further destruction of national infrastructure and agricultural lands and waters of the indigenous people

Patriotism is overrated in the Nigerian space brother, I don't begrudge any man who decides to be tame with his utterances
Re: Adebayo Shittu: "No Comment On Boko Haram, For My Family's Safety” by Laid2001: 3:38pm On Oct 21, 2015
All these noise makers on here can only make noise because no one can trace them!.
Presented with real danger, they will all fizzle out like fart!

The man has been factual with his statement. Stating that Boko Haram can not really claim to be Muslims as they perpetrate acts inimical to the teachings and dictates of Islam!

And that is what is most important for him to distance himself anf other Muslims from Boko Haram insurgents.

Do you really expect a civilian that has not extra security (yet) to start threatening armed bandits who can easily hunt him and his family down!

Get real guys! this man is as good as been confirmed. He has the pedigree of public service in his record already, as a former commissioner and Anthony General of his state.

3 Likes

Re: Adebayo Shittu: "No Comment On Boko Haram, For My Family's Safety” by shilz(f): 4:58pm On Oct 21, 2015
The soldiers fighting for Nigeria fell from the sky okwaya!!
Re: Adebayo Shittu: "No Comment On Boko Haram, For My Family's Safety” by shhoolla(m): 5:13pm On Oct 21, 2015
make him minister of tourism and culture where no work is needed he has no brain
Re: Adebayo Shittu: "No Comment On Boko Haram, For My Family's Safety” by semochendo1(m): 9:31pm On Oct 21, 2015
BAR. BAYO'S MINISTERIAL SCREENING; MATTERS ARISING.

In my life, I've learnt to live by certain philosophies and wise words of the elders, part of which is " knowing when to speak my mind and when to mind my speech" and also, that "the most difficult person to wake from asleep is he who pretends to be sleeping". I may be wasting my words trying to convince those who have closed their eyes to anything good about Bayo and have diverted all their energies to criticizing him. But for the sake of objective minds who will read diverse opinions to take a stand, I will be contributing to the trending matters.

Bar. Bayo is quoted to have said “I won’t comment on Boko Haram, I still have family to take care of” during the screening yesterday.

It's important to note that a minds that watched Bar. Bayo Shittu's screening for criticism sake will always find something like this to bring out, neglecting his brilliant responses to many critical questions.

However, if the critics allowed sentiment becloud their sense of semantics, I will provoke it open. Let me reconstruct what Bar. Shittu said in a commonly used and easily understood English, he simply said " I will reserve my comment for security reasons". Is that not? Many have ignorantly forgotten that the word security reason includes the safety of life and properties of the person making the statement among others. I've watched and read world leaders reserving their comments on issues/topics for security reasons severally. So why the ignorant noise?

I love one thing about Bayo, he's not a typical Nigerian politician, who knows how to play safe with words to deceive us, Bayo was only frank and blunt. And please note, that he reserves his comment doesn't mean he has no idea on how to tackle BokoHaram.

People who criticize unjustly like this caused GEJ administration to fail in handling BH, because you make them divulge sensitive security informations so as to make people know/feel they are working, not bearing in mind that BH have access to the media, and once they get those informations, they restrategize.

I'm sure the critics would have still looked for another point had Bar. Bayo highlighted his strategies for combating BH.

You can continue to bring out as many points as your luxury of time can contain, we have seen Bayo up to a stage your noise now amount to a bark of toothless bulldog. I will only advise that you don't be like GEJ supporters, who still rant about even after my Hero,GEJ, had conceded defeat in the last election.

The change train we want is here, join the train or stay criticizing..
Re: Adebayo Shittu: "No Comment On Boko Haram, For My Family's Safety” by opribo(m): 4:24am On Oct 22, 2015
The man was honest and blunt, he only exposed the mindset of almost all the so called people handling the affairs of our country. These are people who are not ready to pay the super price for the nation all they want is to cling to power and enjoy the goodies of power.
Go and look at all of them their children school abroad, their wives and children spend all their holidays abroad. they transfer our monies abroad rather than develop the country.
Take an example from the last govt tell me how many of the ministers in the govt are in Naija, they've all gone to enjoy their loot..
Truly that man was honest in his response at least he didn't lie as many sis who pretend to love Nigeria but deep inside they are here to rape the country dry.
May the Lord save our country.
Re: Adebayo Shittu: "No Comment On Boko Haram, For My Family's Safety” by tonychristopher: 5:27am On Oct 22, 2015

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

My Experience As A Potential INEC Ad-hoc Staff. / Pdp’s Victory In Oyo Thwarts South West Apc’s Political Agenda / EFCC V Stella Oduah: Justice Ekwo Suspends Trial Over Threat To Life

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.