Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,250 members, 7,818,861 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:50 AM

Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics - Politics (309) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics (669726 Views)

OPC - Faseun & Adams Unite For Security Of Yoruba Commonwealth / SEUN - Re: Yoruba-commonwealth-politics / Goodluck Jonathan Returns From Commonwealth Assignment (photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (306) (307) (308) (309) (310) (311) (312) ... (384) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 9:06pm On Nov 23, 2015

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 9:14pm On Nov 23, 2015

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by IlekeHD: 9:15pm On Nov 23, 2015
quimicababes:
http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-34902244

Awesome!

Is this the same as the Oduduwa radio set to take off in UK?

Is there a BBC Africa app?

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by superstar1(m): 9:28pm On Nov 23, 2015
Aareonakakanfo:

It is really not a great news because it will end up being a tool for mind conditioning and further programming of the minds of the blacks, in a form of pseudo-colonialisation.

The pros are that it will keep propagating the language, promoting our rich culture and heritage our forefathers handed down to us. It will alos give us an international pedestal to tell our story in our own way.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by WIZGUY69(m): 9:29pm On Nov 23, 2015
IlekeHD:

Awesome!

I don't think its the same. Odua radio will be kinda private, while BBC own is public.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by WIZGUY69(m): 9:29pm On Nov 23, 2015
IlekeHD:

Awesome!

I don't think its the same. Odua radio will be kinda private, while BBC own is public. okun o
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by IlekeHD: 9:34pm On Nov 23, 2015
WIZGUY69:

I don't think its the same.
Odua radio will be kinda private, while BBC own is public.
okun o

Ora awe, se ala le se?

Cool, so we got two radios on us! grin
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 9:36pm On Nov 23, 2015
superstar1:

It is really not a great news because it will end up being a tool for mind conditioning and further programming of the minds of the blacks, in a form of pseudo-colonialisation.

The pros are that it will keep propagating the language, promoting our rich culture and heritage our forefathers handed down to us. It will alos give us an international pedestal to tell our story in our own way.

Egbon mi can you please elucidate more on the emboldened?

Ko ye mi dada

I fully agree with the second part
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by IlekeHD: 9:36pm On Nov 23, 2015
superstar1:

How has radio Hausa brainwashed the Hausas?
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by raumdeuter: 9:37pm On Nov 23, 2015
modath:
We've had some charge & bail lawyers running riot all over the media since yesterday...

A good majority of them insists this costitutional crisis is not synonymous to Boni Haruna & Amaechi scenario because there was no result. so there is nothing to build upon, that the inconclusive nature of the exercise before /after( jury still out on that) Audu's demise invalidates the process so a fresh election should be called...

From what i gleaned, the 49k votes in question is even an anomaly cos the total nos of PVCs collected is 25k which means declaring the result inconclusive in the first place is even a misnomer...

One conspiracy theorists opined that the REC got wind that Audu had bitten the dust & was "influenced" to declare it so in order to invalidate the process...

I believe doctrine of necessity should be invoked here & James Faleke should assume the post & the Igala can then send him packing in '19...

All these are interpretations and all sides should present their argument to the Court and whichever the court supports would take the day

Personally I dont think a fresh election should take place because there was no fresh election for Boni Haruna nor for Amaechi. The current process should be completed and let democratic checks and balances take care of Faleke either through impeachment or by voting him out in 2019 if he seeks re-election

But not by saying he should step down when he is within his rights
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Musiwa419: 9:39pm On Nov 23, 2015
superstar1:

how has bbc hausa service, using your own word, 'further programmed the mind' of the hausa folks up north 'in a form of neo colonisation' ?
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Musiwa419: 9:40pm On Nov 23, 2015
IlekeHD:

Thank you very much my sister
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by IlekeHD: 9:40pm On Nov 23, 2015
Musiwa419:
how has bbc hausa service, using your own word, 'further programmed the mind' of the hausa folks up north 'in a form of neo colonisation' ?
IlekeHD:

Thumbs up!
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by superstar1(m): 9:43pm On Nov 23, 2015
Aareonakakanfo:

Egbon mi can you please elucidate more on the emboldened?

Ko ye mi dada

I fully agree with the second part

Warfare are waged on 2 fronts -- 1. Military (on the field) 2. Media

The Media warfare is subtle, effective and more long lasting. That is why they always depict Africa with the worst pix of humanity.

The BBC is the propaganda tool of the British Government, with a sole responsibility of brain washing the world from the perspective of the British Govt. BBC Yoruba will not be left out.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Musiwa419: 9:50pm On Nov 23, 2015
I am very excited about the news from BBC. Fortunately and coincidentally, the minister of information and the minister of communication are both Yoruba men. I'll enjoin them to use their good office to address any bureaucratic bottleneck the BBC might delay the immediate transmission of BBC Yoruba service
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by superstar1(m): 9:51pm On Nov 23, 2015
Musiwa419:

BBC is a well known propaganda tool.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 9:55pm On Nov 23, 2015
superstar1:

Warfare are waged on 2 fronts -- 1. Military (on the field) 2. Media

The Media warfare is subtle, effective and more long lasting
. That is why they always depict Africa with the worst pix of humanity.

The BBC is the propaganda tool of the British Government, with a sole responsibility of brain washing the world from the perspective of the British Govt. BBC Yoruba will not be left out.

Hmmmn Oro! but at the same time,it will still boil down to who and who is in charge of the information being dished out on the Channel

I believe educated Odua sons are the ones who're going to be running things there

I don't know the kind of information being disseminated on BBC hausa so I can't say If this one will end up that way as well

But going by what's on ground,BBC Hausa hasn't had any effect on the mind of the average hausa person who listens to it
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by superstar1(m): 10:09pm On Nov 23, 2015
Aareonakakanfo:

Hmmmn Oro! but at the same time,it will still boil down to who and who is in charge of the information being dished out on the Channel

I believe educated Odua sons are the ones who're going to be the ones running things there

I don't know the kind of information being disseminated on BBC hausa so I can't say If this one will end up that way as well

But going by what's on ground,BBC Hausa hasn't had any effect on the mind of the average hausa person who listens to it

Do you woonder why they are always carrying transistor radio about? They all know the frequency of BBC Hausa and it is their first station of choice.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 10:19pm On Nov 23, 2015
superstar1:

Do you woonder why they are always carrying transistor radio about? They all know the frequency of BBC Hausa and it is their first station of choice.

But those are the ones who live in Lagos.I don't think its that way up North.They probably listen to their own stations

Its the most easily available station they can connect with in Lagos

You can't even listen to a station based in Kanu when you're in Lagos

I don't know why. probably superior technology

And most of the programs on the channel are more of entertainment programs anyways
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by superstar1(m): 10:22pm On Nov 23, 2015
Aareonakakanfo:

But those are the ones who live in Lagos.I don't think its that way up North.They probably listen to their own stations

Its the most easily available station they can connect with in Lagos

You can't even listen to a station based in Kanu when you're in Lagos

I don't know why. probably superior technology

And most of the programs on the channel are more of entertainment programs anyways

Whattttttttttttttttttt!!!!!!!!! Have you been to the north. Even the almajiris, the mai tea guys, and almost every tom and jerry know the frequency of BBC Hausa.

They hardly listen to their stations. Ask anybody that lives or that has been to the north.

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by laudate: 10:24pm On Nov 23, 2015
superstar1:
Yeah he is yoruba. Ifa-leke.

The tribe is relevant because Igbiras see Kogi State as their home state and they have the population to perpetrate themselves in power, except by divine intervention. You can't fault them.

The Sarakis hold on Kwara State is a story for another day.

Nah....like Modath pointed out so clearly, it is the Igalas that have the numerical advantage in Kogi State, and a number of them feel that since their ethnic group is in the majority, they should always call the shots. undecided
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by superstar1(m): 10:29pm On Nov 23, 2015
laudate:

Nah....I actually think it is the Igalas that have the numerical advantage in Kogi State, and a number of them feel that since their ethnic group is in the majority, they should always call the shots. undecided

Yes, it is the Igalas. Was a typo. Modath corrected me earlier on.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 10:29pm On Nov 23, 2015
Shymm3x:

Once you know that the Oniru is Ijebu, that'll tell you how far the Ijebu coastline extended pre-Nigeria. Even Lekki was given to Portuguese (or was it Dutch? - I need to check my archives for which of the two) traders in the 17th or 18th century or so by the Awujale for trade cos the Ijebus had Epe and Ikorodu.

There's a book on google scholar on it. I can't remember the name now but I've posted screenshots from the book before during numerous discussions in the culture section back in the day, under my old handle.

This is why I'm a proponent of the idea of folks from each Yoruba town researching the history of whatevet towns they come from first or ancestry before whichever they have or develop interest in.

I never knew Oniru was Ijebu. Please share whatever details you have on Ijebu history - I'm sure there are other Ijebu folks and Yoruba history enthusiasts who have interest.

Between, I've always had this luck with Ijebu chicks grin

Plus, Ijebu have always had this support for Ife when it comes to war cool
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 10:32pm On Nov 23, 2015
New Ooni getting ade are from Obatala who originally owned it and wears it at every Ooniship window period at Ile Olorisa.

3 Likes

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 10:32pm On Nov 23, 2015
superstar1:

Whattttttttttttttttttt!!!!!!!!! Have you been to the north. Even the almajiris, the mai tea guys, and almost every dick and harry know the frequency of BBC Hausa.

They hardly listen to their stations. Ask anybody that lives or that has been to the north.

Hahaha! I haven't stayed long enough in the north so I can't say much

But do you have any idea of the kind of information being dished out on the station?

We need to start from there first If truly that's the station they mostly listen to

There must be a reason why they're glued to it

And also don't you think Illiteracy is also a factor?
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 10:33pm On Nov 23, 2015

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Shymm3x: 10:33pm On Nov 23, 2015
superstar1:

Whattttttttttttttttttt!!!!!!!!! Have you been to the north. Even the almajiris, the mai tea guys, and almost every dick and harry know the frequency of BBC Hausa.

I get what you mean and every MSM (mainstream media) is a tool for propaganda either directly or indirectly.

However, in this case, you have to check the objective vis-a-vis the end goal and target audience, for expanding the BBC brand. In as much as much as it will still be a tool for propaganda - I think why they picked Yoruba and pidgin is basically cos the two languages are the most widely spoken languages in Nigeria and its environs.

I don't think they are maliciously targeting Yorubas for propaganda. It is just bigger market for the BBC brand and it will also facilitate more recognition for the Yoruba language and enable Yoruba speakers get the news in real time. Regardless, it is nothing to celebrate.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by superstar1(m): 10:36pm On Nov 23, 2015
Aareonakakanfo:

Hahaha! I haven't stayed long enough in the north so I can't say much

But do you have any idea of the kind of information being dished out on the station?

We need to start from there first If truly that's the station they mostly listen to

There must be a reason why they're glued to it

And also don't you think Illiteracy is also a factor?

Illiteracy might be a factor for the northerners, but it is an effective tool for the British.

Listen to BBC Africa service and you will have an idea of the subtle mental neo-colonisation. Africa is always being depicted as a continent of war, misery and poverty. They create the picture and it stays on your mind. If you are not careful, it limits your mind. They can't be saying anything better on BBC Hausa
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by superstar1(m): 10:38pm On Nov 23, 2015
Shymm3x:

I get what you mean and every MSM (mainstream media) is a tool for propaganda either directly or indirectly.

However, in this case, you have to check the objective vis-a-vis the end goal and target audience, for expanding the BBC brand. In as much as much as it will still be a tool for propaganda - I think why they picked Yoruba and pidgin is basically cos the two languages are the most widely spoken languages in Nigeria and its environs.

I don't think they are maliciously targeting Yorubas for propaganda. It is just bigger market for the BBC brand and it will also facilitate more recognition for the Yoruba language and enable Yoruba speakers get the news in real time. Regardless, it is nothing to celebrate.

I quite agree with you.

Can those western nations do anything without an objective or hidden agenda behind it? Extremely rare.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by modath(f): 10:41pm On Nov 23, 2015
superstar1:

Whattttttttttttttttttt!!!!!!!!! Have you been to the north. Even the almajiris, the mai tea guys, and almost every tom and jerry know the frequency of BBC Hausa.

Superstar abeg tell 'em ... Even if abok1 be church rat, he must get transistor radio ..

Southerners often wonder how they manage to congregate & ready for war, it is cos they have foreknowledge of what is buzzing in the polity...

Seems you talked abot Yobe sometime ago, Potiskum or Damaturu? Rest of Yobe is lipsrsealed

Ilekehd , aareonakakanfo, ramdeuter , katsumoto , mayoroflagos , onreflection , iyaiode , et al, are you gentlemen & ladies familiar with any hausa/ fulani person, beyond the stereotype / rhetorics ...

Zimoni , I nor go ask you, you & the sabo crew already don share boundary. grin
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by raumdeuter: 10:49pm On Nov 23, 2015
modath ^^ I served in the North,

My town has a great trading relationship with the North, every Northern village you go there is always someone from the my town there

A lot of my townsmen are naturalised Northerners and even my grand parents were

(1) (2) (3) ... (306) (307) (308) (309) (310) (311) (312) ... (384) (Reply)

Kenyans Are Far Behind Nigerians In Every Aspect – Fani-Kayode / Anambra light of the nation, eastern economy power house. / Enugu, The Pride Of The East.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.