Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,196 members, 7,853,070 topics. Date: Friday, 07 June 2024 at 10:49 AM

Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics - Politics (95) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics (675749 Views)

OPC - Faseun & Adams Unite For Security Of Yoruba Commonwealth / SEUN - Re: Yoruba-commonwealth-politics / Goodluck Jonathan Returns From Commonwealth Assignment (photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (92) (93) (94) (95) (96) (97) (98) ... (384) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Shymm3x: 11:10am On Oct 31, 2015
7).

Wooden mask for Gelede masquerade

Yoruba, probably late 19th century AD
From Nigeria

The Yoruba of Nigeria produce a wide variety of art forms in different materials for royalty, domestic and ritual purposes. Ancestors and gods are worshipped and honoured by annual ceremonies and by regular worship at shrines. There are four Yoruba deities, or orisha, which require masks, staffs, bowls and carved figures: Ifa (divination), Eshu/Elegba (trickster), Ogun (iron and war) and Shango (lightning and thunder).

They also have three major masking traditions, of which Gelede is one. Gelede is about appeasing aje or 'the mothers' who control fertility, life, and the death of children through dance, mask, costume and poetry. It is said that a woman, Yewejabe, first danced Gelede, although only men do so today. Gelede usually takes place between March and May and is danced in pairs. Costumes are bulky, emphasizing breasts and buttocks with the masks worn slanting over the top of the head. There are four groups of masks: those for role recognition, hierarchy, commemoration and satire. This mask is typical of those representing hierarchy, with three figural elements arranged one on top of another.

H.M. Cole (ed.), I am not myself: the art of ma, Los Angeles monograph series, no. 26 (Museum of Cultural History, University of California, 1985)
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Shymm3x: 11:12am On Oct 31, 2015
cool.

Carving of a European official, by Bamgboye

Yoruba people, Nigeria
20th century AD

This carving depicts Kenneth Robertson, an Education Officer in Nigeria in the 1930s. It was made by Bamgboye (late 1890s-1978), a well-known Yoruba sculptor from Odo-Owa in the Ilorin province of northern Nigeria. Bamgboye's artistry was recognised by the British administration and he was appointed Instructor in Carving at the government school at Omu. His work suffered, however, because the job demanded a focus on technique rather than allowing him to develop his own creativity.

Europeans established colonies in Africa that required a range of European officials: educators, administrators, traders and policemen, often with their wives and children. Yoruba artists represented these powerful 'outsiders' by focusing on their most characteristic features and by including emblems of hierarchy and status.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Flyoruboy(m): 11:14am On Oct 31, 2015
Shymm3x:
Morning everyone.

9jacrip and Mayoroflagos

Before everyone gets on here. I've been reading about the Jalumi War and I'm here to celebrate Ibadan warriors (the saviours of Yorubaland) and Osun, the historical state, where the Yorubas defeated the Fulanis twice. Inisha (1878) and Osogbo (1840).

Err...I'm wondering why all the defeats the Fulanis suffered against Yorubas were inflicted on them by the Ibadans. Apparently, they sacked Oyo twice and actually got to Abeokuta the second time Oyo was sacked. I know Oyo had a brutal cavalry - but what made Ibadan warriors so successful in battles? I definitely need to study more about Ibadan warriors - the saviours of the Yorubas. Proud of Ibadan.

Also, the tactics they used in Osogbo's definitely one of best war tactics I've ever read. And the drowning of the retreating Fulanis at the Otin River, by the Offa folks was crazy - supreme Yoruba warriors. Yorubas have always been great in battles. grin

Anyone interested in reading about Ilorin can read this academic source: https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=350uAgAAQBAJ&pg=PA448&lpg=PA448&dq=jalumi+war&source=bl&ots=H7QcNGQpT0&sig=n64Lto2pfM55iOra3FfNB6TB4Sg&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0CEAQ6AEwCDgKahUKEwiwkeyhsuzIAhXJ1hoKHWmrDEE#v=onepage&q=jalumi%20war&f=false

It was written by a white man and he spelt "Fulani" as "Filane".

Forget matter. The Ibadan war machine was phenomenal.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Shymm3x: 11:16am On Oct 31, 2015
Flyoruboy:

Forget matter. The Ibadan war machine was phenomenal.

I admire Ibadan folks a lot - supreme warriors and great in battles.

Ibadan is definitely the capital of Yorubas...they're like the undefeated Cushites. grin

3 Likes

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by angiography(m): 11:20am On Oct 31, 2015
sweettinz20:
osibanjo or fashola
how can we pressure this government for (regional) federalism??...maybe this'll be a topic for another day tho

politics apart, i think Aregbe had good intention...he did overblow it tho...but i think he has fantastic idea for the yoruba race.

6 Likes

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by forgiveness: 11:23am On Oct 31, 2015
Aareonakakanfo:

Lol i sent it to them twice and still they didn't unban me.I don't even think they read the mails

Sorrry for repling now. Maybe you were not polite enough, because whenever i get banned for no reason. I always appeal through that media and it has so far worked for me. Sometimes ago, i got banned 5 times just in a day and at the same time got unbanned 5 times whenever i appeal through that media.

They surely read it but like i said make sure you didn't break any of those rules. Shalom
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Flyoruboy(m): 11:25am On Oct 31, 2015
Shymm3x:

Ibadan is definitely the capital of Yorubas...they're like the undefeated Cushites. grin

Indeed it is the Political capital of the Yoruba race within Nigeria -- it was Awo and Akintola's seat as Premier of the Western Region and was arguably Nigeria's foremost city while regionalism lasted, and it recorded many firsts in the history of this nation. It's the same reason that till today most important socio-political gatherings concerning the Yoruba race are held there.

4 Likes

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Musiwa419: 11:33am On Oct 31, 2015
Shymm3x:

I admire Ibadan folks a lot - supreme warriors and great in battles.

Speacial Tribute to :

Balogun Oderinlo
Balogun Ibikunle.
Basorun Oluyole
Oshudina etc

4 Likes

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Shymm3x: 11:41am On Oct 31, 2015
Flyoruboy:

Indeed it is the Political capital of the Yoruba race within Nigeria -- it was Awo and Akintola's seat as Premier of the Western Region and was arguably Nigeria's foremost city while regionalism lasted, and it recorded many firsts in the history of this nation. It's the same reason that till today most important social-political gatherings concerning the Yoruba race are held there.

Word.

That's what it's great to study history, so as to be conversant with the influences and achievements of certain places. A place like Ibadan can never be conquered.

Salute to Ibadan, the amala eaters. grin

4 Likes

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Shymm3x: 11:41am On Oct 31, 2015
Musiwa419:
Speacial Tribute to :

Balogun Oderinlo
Balogun Ibikunle.
Basorun Oluyole
Oshudina etc

Warriors.

[img]http://media./media/MUeQeEQaDCjE4/giphy.gif[/img]

3 Likes

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Shymm3x: 11:43am On Oct 31, 2015
Time to celebrate some young Yoruba achievers.

Luke Lawal

[img]http://ronekysdc.files./2014/02/2-luke-lawal-jr.jpg?w=308&h=479[/img]

Luke Lawal, Jr., a 24-year-old DC native, founded HBCU Buzz in 2011 and has been shaping awareness of HBCU culture ever since. The Buzz provides the public with news relevant to HBCU campuses ranging from sports and fashion to politics and controversy from the perspective of current HBCU students and several journalists heavily involved in the black community. The purpose of the company is to promote HBCU pride and unity in order to enhance the black college experience and uplift the perception of all black colleges. Today, The Buzz has over a hundred authors from several HBCUs across the country. Before graduating from Bowie State University, Lawal started a black male organization with a student a Howard University called Suited Lifestyle Group. The organization is designed to create an extensive network of young professionals and other like-minded individuals from various walks of life with a commitment to leadership, self-sufficiency, and peer-to-peer engagement through social and cultural events.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 11:45am On Oct 31, 2015
Shymm3x:
Morning everyone.

9jacrip and Mayoroflagos

Before everyone gets on here. I've been reading about the Jalumi War and I'm here to celebrate Ibadan warriors (the saviours of Yorubaland) and Osun, the historical state, where the Yorubas defeated the Fulanis twice. Inisha (1878) and Osogbo (1840).

Err...I'm wondering why all the defeats the Fulanis suffered against Yorubas were inflicted on them by the Ibadans. Apparently, they sacked Oyo twice and actually got to Abeokuta the second time Oyo was sacked. I know Oyo had a brutal cavalry - but what made Ibadan warriors so successful in battles? I definitely need to study more about Ibadan warriors - the saviours of the Yorubas. Proud of Ibadan.

Also, the tactics they used in Osogbo's definitely one of best war tactics I've ever read. And the drowning of the retreating Fulanis at the Otin River, by the Offa folks was crazy - supreme Yoruba warriors. Yorubas have always been great in battles. grin

Anyone interested in reading about Ilorin can read this academic source: https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=350uAgAAQBAJ&pg=PA448&lpg=PA448&dq=jalumi+war&source=bl&ots=H7QcNGQpT0&sig=n64Lto2pfM55iOra3FfNB6TB4Sg&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0CEAQ6AEwCDgKahUKEwiwkeyhsuzIAhXJ1hoKHWmrDEE#v=onepage&q=jalumi%20war&f=false

It was written by a white man and he spelt "Fulani" as "Filane".

My duke, I'll be back.

Someone once raised this topic a while ago but somehow, I forgot about it.

Mo n bo.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by zimoni(f): 11:46am On Oct 31, 2015
Musiwa419:
Speacial Tribute to :

Balogun Oderinlo
Balogun Ibikunle.
Basorun Oluyole
Oshudina etc

Blessed be the name of the Lord.

I thank Eledumare, Ibadan warriors and other Yoruba warriors who sent the Tse Tse Flies back to the forest where they belong.

Imagine if the Fulanis had defeated us, all our Obas in Yorubaland would now be Emirs and we would all be muslims.

They always make sure they convert their subjects to Islam so that it would be easy to brainwash them that "That Is How Allah Wants It, It Is The Will Of Allah To Have Emirs In Yorubaland".

GOD FORBID, Olorun maje. Imagine Emirs of Ilesha,Ile-Ife,Ijebu-Ode,Oyo,Ibadan etc.

Oluwa o se oooooooooooooooo.

3 Likes

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Shymm3x: 11:50am On Oct 31, 2015
Luvvie Ajayi

Referring to herself as “the Jill of all trades,” this comedic blogger, award-winning writer and digital strategist has made a major name for herself. Ajayi was one of first black bloggers to receive red carpet and backstage coverage access, She has also found time to create her own nonprofit organization called The Red Pump Project. Her blog draws 250,000 viewers per month.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Shymm3x: 11:50am On Oct 31, 2015
9jacrip:

My duke, I'll be back.

Someone once raised this topic a while ago but somehow, I forgot about it.

Mo n bo.

Alright, bruddah. grin

Can't wait.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by zimoni(f): 11:51am On Oct 31, 2015
Ogbeni MrrMbaM, please invite my brother Ogbeni Eggheader(Ekun Oko Awon Omo Yinna) to this thread.

I don't know the moniker he uses now.

That dude can die for a Yoruba cause.

Cheers Bro.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Shymm3x: 11:53am On Oct 31, 2015
Nikki Ogunnaike

Nikki Ogunnaike, Style Editor at Glamour.com

Age: 27 Location: New York Why She's Awesome: Nikki got her industry start as a fashion assistant at Vanity Fair, and then an editorial assistant at InStyle, where she wrote and edited various front of book stories and wrote fashion features. Today, the Lower East Side dweller is the Style Editor for Glamour.com. She spends her days creating content for both the fashion and beauty channel and if you happen to follow the iconic publication on social media it may just be her behind that
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Musiwa419: 12:05pm On Oct 31, 2015
zimoni:

Blessed be the name of the Lord.

I thank Eledumare, Ibadan warriors and other Yoruba warriors who sent the Tse Tse Flies back to the forest where they belong.

Imagine if the Fulanis had defeated us, all our Obas in Yorubaland would now be Emirs and we would all be muslims.

They always make sure they convert their subjects to Islam so that it would be easy to brainwash them that "That Is How Allah Wants It, It Is The Will Of Allah To Have Emirs In Yorubaland".

GOD FORBID, Olorun maje. Imagine Emirs of Ilesha,Ile-Ife,Ijebu-Ode,Oyo,Ibadan etc.

Oluwa o se oooooooooooooooo.
Ope ni fun Eledumare.

The Fula's actually killed Alaafin Oluewu at the Eleduwe war. He had refused to embrace Islam after Shita, the Emir of Ilorin compeled him to accept the faith.

Alaafin Oluewu called on Yoruba Chiefs to help him dislodge the Fula's. Among those that responded to his invitation were : Kurunmi of Ijaiye, Timi Of Ede, Ayo Abemo, Atiba-(he later succeded Oluewu) , Basorun Oluyole of Ibadan etc.

Unfortunately, Oluewu died in the heat of the ensuing battle. His death at the Eleduwe war was one of the many reasons why Balogun Oderinlo and other Ibadan generals were 'gingered' to deal the marauding Fulani's a fatal blow once and for all.

5 Likes

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by forgiveness: 12:16pm On Oct 31, 2015
Musiwa419:
You see, thats one of the reasons why i dont applaud some of the policy/projects of ACN/APC in Lagos state. I have nothing against the Eko Atlantic Project but i feel the timing is wrong. Do we need such a gargantuan project now? Insted of building skyscrappers in the middle of the sea why dont we construct a 4th Mainland Bridge which would link Lagos Island to Ikorodu thereby reducing the traffic congestion in greater Lagos considerably. I am of the opinion that the funds pumped into the Eko Atlantic Project thus far should have been used for the construction of a 4th Mainland Bridge

Initially, the Lagos Government was tasked with the responsibilty of tackling and finding a lasting solution to stop the ocean surges and the coastal erosion of Lagos coastline. Hence, the solution of reclaiming the affected coastline taken by the sea and building defence sea walls.

In other to acheive this goal, the Lagos State Government went into partnership with private investors to fianance the project, and in return, the investors decided to recover their money through selling the reclaimed lands and building Eko Atlantic city. That is the Genesis of Eko Atlantic.

4 Likes

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by forgiveness: 12:35pm On Oct 31, 2015
laudate:

Gbam! Gbam!! You talk am well! cheesy Even those living along the Lekki-Ajah expressway experience the same problem. If you live in Sangotedo or Awoyaya or Badore, and you are not on the road by 5a.m, you cannot get to Victoria Island by 8a.m. Am not kidding.

The traffic at Ajah roundabout would short-circuit your system if you are not careful. The design for that expressway, failed to factor in overhead bridges or flyovers, that would have enhanced movement on that road. So each of the roundabouts on that road, have become 'circles of commotion', and 'traffic generators' for commuters. sad

You are on point @bold. They failed to factor in overhead bridges or flyovers. And i think that will be the only solution to ease traffic girlock on that axis.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Shymm3x: 12:50pm On Oct 31, 2015
forgiveness:

You are on point @bold. They failed to factor in overhead bridges or flyovers. And i think that will be the only solution to ease traffic girlock on that axis.

Apart from the idea of overhead bridges and flyovers - how about tunnels?

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Shymm3x: 12:52pm On Oct 31, 2015
British Museum Exhibition

Copper head. Found at Wunmonije Compound, Ife, Nigeria.
Late 14th-early 16th century. © Karin L. Wills/Museum for African
Art/National Commission for Museums and Monuments, Nigeria

=========================
Definitely one of the most beautiful artworks ever.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Shymm3x: 1:10pm On Oct 31, 2015
More from the British Museum...

Torso of a king, Wunmonije Compound, Ife (early-mid 16th century, copper alloy)
Ife flourished as a political, spiritual, cultural and economic centre in the 12th–15th centuries
Photograph: PR

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Shymm3x: 1:11pm On Oct 31, 2015
Head, Iwinrin Grove, Ife (12th-15th century, terracotta)
The artists of Ife developed a refined, naturalistic sculptural tradition in stone, terracotta, brass and copper

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Shymm3x: 1:12pm On Oct 31, 2015
Brass head with crown, Wunmonije Compound, Ife (early 14th century)
The sculptural style they created was unlike anything seen in Africa before

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Shymm3x: 1:13pm On Oct 31, 2015
Mask called Obalufon, Ife (14th-early 15th century, copper)
The casting process used to create the sculptures was extremely sophisticated

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by superstar1(m): 1:14pm On Oct 31, 2015
Shymm3x:

Word.

That's what it's great to study history, so as to be conversant with the influences and achievements of certain places. A place like Ibadan can never be conquered.

Salute to Ibadan, the amala eaters. grin

You know Ibadan is a settlement of soldiers, renegades, banished people and people too troublesome within the community are usually sent there. That is why Ibadan eulogy is "a place where the thief is always justified against the owner ". Lol.

That dove tailed into their no retreat no surrender war slogan and they fight like zombies till the last person.

Afterall, they have nothing to lose ab initio.

They were very difficult to conquer for the mere fact that their mentality and ideology is "if you kill me, you have gained nothing and if I kill you I will gain everything ". The everything includes honour, prestige, title and slaves which those renegades never had and which they never dreamt of having until they were co-opted into the Ibadan Army.

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Shymm3x: 1:15pm On Oct 31, 2015
Head with elaborate crown, Ita Yemoo, Ife (12th-15th century, terracotta)
The human figures portray a wide cross-section of society

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Shymm3x: 1:18pm On Oct 31, 2015
superstar1:

You know Ibadan is a settlement of soldiers, renegades, banished people and people too troublesome within the community are usually sent there. That is why Ibadan eulogy is "a place where the thief is always justified against the owner ". Lol.

That dove tailed into their no retreat no surrender war slogan and they fight like zombies till the last person.

Afterall, they have nothing to lose ab initio.

They were very difficult to conquer for the mere fact that their mentality and ideology is "if you kill me, you have gained nothing and if I kill you I will gain everything ". The everything includes honour, prestige, title and slaves which those renegades never had and which they never dreamt of having until they were co-opted into the Ibadan Army.

The true Gs of yore and together the formed a group of great warriors that ended up saving Yorubaland. They're somewhat like the Aussies, the only difference is that the Aussies were predominantly criminals - unlike Ibadan folks who were predominantly warriors. I like the admixture cos almost every Yoruba subgroup is represented there.

3 Likes

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by forgiveness: 1:22pm On Oct 31, 2015
Shymm3x:

Apart from the idea of overhead bridges and flyovers - how about tunnels?

Tunnels are not necessary on that axis for now. Bridges and flyovers will do.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Shymm3x: 1:22pm On Oct 31, 2015
Let me rinse all the artworks before footie.

Denver Art Museum Exhibition

Veranda post, by Olowe of Ise, ca. late 1920s. Yoruba; Akure, Nigeria.
Wood, 1.75m (69"wink. 1996.260.
Gift of Valerie Franklin and Collector's Choice 18.

"This veranda post was created for the house of Chief Elefoshan in the town of Akure by Olowe of Ise, the most highly regarded Yoruba carver of the twentieth century. Male and female caryatid figures with intertwined arms support a warrior wearing a breastplate and holding a spear; he is astride a significantly smaller mount. The composition and hierarchical scale of this outstanding sculpture provide insight into Yoruba ideas about status."

(1) (2) (3) ... (92) (93) (94) (95) (96) (97) (98) ... (384) (Reply)

Kenyans Are Far Behind Nigerians In Every Aspect – Fani-Kayode / Anambra light of the nation, eastern economy power house. / Enugu, The Pride Of The East.

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.