Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,285 members, 7,818,964 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:06 AM

Pains Of A Recruiter / HR Mgr - Jobs/Vacancies (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Pains Of A Recruiter / HR Mgr (41702 Views)

How To Answer ''Tell Us About Yourself'' When A Recruiter Asks You / How To Shake Hands When A Recruiter Asks For A Handshake / E-recruiter MTN Graduate Trainee (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Pains Of A Recruiter / HR Mgr by Sagamite(m): 7:39pm On Nov 06, 2015
Gold45:
As an international Recruiter,
I have noticed some things that hinder my recruitment in Nigeria, it is heart breaking when someone comes to me and says I'm relocating to the USA or Canada or wherever, what placement can you get for me and just by chatting with the person, I know that it will have to be a menial job despite the diplomas and degrees.
There is a reason why I have Recruited over 50 expatriates from some unimaginable countries into Nigeria where they got perks like:
3 bedroom furnished apartment in the Lekki area a few bus stops away from the company
2 domestic staffs to do the cleaning, cooking and driving.
Comprehensive health insurance
Approx. 10M annual salary
28 working days paid vacation
3 working days paid leave
Approx 3M in other allowances
Return annual paid tickets to their home country annually
In some cases a lesser paying job for the spouse is guaranteed.

I have facilitated the purchase of some Multi Million houses which Companies bought for their expatriate staffs. The minimum being 700M for 20 units of 3 bedroom flats, and some up to 2 Billion just for these expatriates.

You must be thinking why, below are some of the reasons in my opinion.
1. Education
Our universities don't help matters, they split one course into 3 units for students to study and graduate and use 20 years old techniques / syllabus to teach. As a result, fresh Nigerian graduates and even West African graduates can not stand fresh graduates from other parts of the world until they have experience or go for more classes. I begin to ask, what is the craze to get admission and graduate for?

2. Lack of seriousness on the part of the students
As if that isnt enough, many of their results were bought in the sense that in a new setting, they can't defend this result. A Bsc Econs holder couldn't pass an exam to place her in a 200level equivalent in the USA. While in school, a lot of them joined cults and turned to private prostitutes just to get the good grades. News Flash!!! Recruiters are fully aware and can't be deceived.

3. Inability to speak good English
What breaks my heart now is that many of them can't speak good English. They are well educated in the best schools but nothing to show for it. If that cert. goes missing today, and they have the opportunity to write another exam to receive a new result, 80% won't pass. Yes, English isn't our mother tongue but when you want a job in a company where English language is spoken, you have to speak English too. Your command of English is highly important. It can speak a lot about you even before you present your certs.

4. Greed
Now, once in a while, I see a graduate who has ticked all the wrong boxes still forming "I know my worth and wont settle for less". I'll simply tell you to call me next week as that's when I'll be recruiting for the big fishes and that will be the end. The bad part of these incompetence is that you never know you have them. Hence, there's nothing to lower those over inflated egos.

5. Nonchalant attitude
Some feel once they have gotten their certs esp. the 1st class and 2nd class upper, they have tried abeg. Cut them some slack, give them a break. But they don't understand that its just the beginning. You must seek more exposure by all means. Keep reading, keep find ways to polish your trophy, keep learning from those who are there.
For example; I can say, 90% of graduates, cant write a standard cover letter, 85% cant write a standard Resume / CV. My mum looked at an applicants cv one day, laughed and said, My CV was as naive as this when I applied for my first job. Meaning, that CV was in vogue in the 1970's!!! I'll talk more on the CV later.

6. Unrealistic desires
Okay, we all know you didn't spend years in the Uni for nothing. You didn't go to Boko Haram infested areas during your service for nothing etc. But baby, its time to wake up! Life isn't rosy anymore. There is tight competition out there. There are over 2000 people better than you graduating every year. The best tool you have when job hunting is experience. I daresay experience is more valuable than degrees in some cases. Start where you are as long as i can recharge your phone, transport you to and from work and pay your basic bills, it will be worth it.
Learn from Dami:
Dami (not real name) ticked 3 wrong boxes and due to the strict requirement, could never see the light of the job. What did Dami do?
He wrote a new application letter volunteering to work for free only asking to be allowed to benefit from the Company's transport as he lives far. 2 years later, Dami got a job in that company as an Assistant Mgr.

7. Lack of Packaging
You are a brand, you wish to be the face of a company, how can you sell the company in a good image if you can't sell yourself? Start with your CV and cover letter.
I don't care where you are from unless the job specifically asked for candidates from a particular region. telling me you have an experience as a waiter in a 7* hotel when applying for the post of a teacher will make me shove your resume in the bin.
Indicate all that apply and leave out the unnecessary details. I skim through 80 - 100 Cv's in 1hr or more. Meaning at a glance, I want to see what I want shouting back at me in your resume. Keep it straight to the point and Brief. Don't lie! Be creative, learn new ways to write a cv. Always ask someone who likes you to proof read for you. Always run a spell check. Don't have one CV. I have more than 8. Always create a new CV to fit the new job. Indicate in the section for skills, all your skills which was listed as a requirement.

8. Failing to test all spirits
Apply to all positions you feel you are qualified for.
Secret: You don't need to have it all. Hr Managers are there to brush you up!

I have to stop now.
Below is the cv of a guy with just WAEC ( I edited it for him )

The other pix are for laughter effects

You dey mind the products of a failed education system. undecided

Majority are unemployable. I see them on NL and shake in sadness for my country.

2 Likes

Re: Pains Of A Recruiter / HR Mgr by Nobody: 1:08am On Nov 07, 2015
ThoniaSlim:
A lot of graduates on this post just emphasized what this lady is talking about.

How difficult is it to differentiate between I am, I'm and Am? Like seriously!

What is the difference between I am and I'm ?
Re: Pains Of A Recruiter / HR Mgr by ThoniaSlim(f): 7:17am On Nov 07, 2015
neoapocalypse:

What is the difference between I am and I'm ?

Both are the same. I'm is the contracted form of I am and should be used only in an informal communication.

You do not attend an interview or write an application using I'm instead of I am.

1 Like

Re: Pains Of A Recruiter / HR Mgr by sisisioge: 8:25am On Nov 07, 2015
exotiqueify:

Sisioge dear, you see, this is most definitely not about being irate, believe me. Lol @ Olive branch...But you see, as regards the said urchin angry, i prefer to hold jugulars, so long as its his, rather than shake hands.... If i tell you the pains this cretin has been through to get my attention, you would by now have unconsciously developed a dropping jaw.

Imagine someone who has never seen or known me,in this life or thereafter, shouting to the roof tops he knows me and we have most certainly lived in the same house, i now had to ask him to produce pictures or just shut up and of course because he is all mouth and no trousers, couldn't provide proof....

He discredits my writing, teaches me morals he has never for once adhered to. He tells the world i owe him something i know nothing of, strange, aint it?..... How could you owe something to someone you don't know? He calls me names with one side of his foul mouth, and professes love with the other. He went as far as creating a moniker very similar to mine, called exotique1fy, opens a stupid thread with it and indulges people to mention me, all in the bid to get my attention while displaying his psychopathic traits.....

Sincerely, i have never come across an individual with this rare deformity.Breeze through my profile, and find this dude following me... He is a registered member on NL,with various monikers of course, yet he contributes nothing to any reasonable thread, rather you see him most active in the romance section. My dear, this is just the tip of what this deranged idiotic fellow has done....

Anyway, i gave your profile a glance, and i understand you were once searching for 'prince charming', how misguided you were...I laughed out loud seeing your criteria of the said charming, because i no too well there is a slim possibility of finding what you need here. Out of curiosity tho', did you find?i would want to answer in the negative on your behalf, (i might be wrong tho', but i very much doubt). Wish i had come across your thread before attempting to be over nice to some folks here.....

I also humbly bear the olive branch.

P.S: I love the way you write. wink

Wowzer! Yours must be one of the weirdest experience ever! He did all that? Wowzer! Dude must be in love with you...reminds me of one of the tales from a M&B novel. Anyways, now that I know you guys come way back, I will just let you two waltz on.

About my prince charming search, I didn't quite find though I met some really wonderful people. Every conversation is an interview, trust me, telephone interview is one of the quickest means of elimination. Pls don't write off the caliber of people here because of your encounter with the unrelenting admirer. Just imagine several of you, me and everyone else with beautiful minds...
Re: Pains Of A Recruiter / HR Mgr by sisisioge: 8:51am On Nov 07, 2015
exotique1fy:

Lolz! cheesy cheesy cheesy grin grin grin see as you yab the poor Lady! you wicked o! grin grin grin

aunty sisisioge abeg no vex o! lyrical missiles are part of the ish you get for trying to get entangled with Missy here.

I don't feel insulted one bit. I think she's a passionate woman. You do too, right? Your monikers are sooooo identical...
Re: Pains Of A Recruiter / HR Mgr by davide470(m): 9:47am On Nov 07, 2015
ThoniaSlim:

Both are the same. I'm is the contracted form of I am and should be used only in an informal communication.

You do not attend an interview or write an application using I'm instead of I am.
Hmmm. Since both are the same, why can't I use them at any time?

Hi ThoniaSlim
Re: Pains Of A Recruiter / HR Mgr by Odunharry(m): 2:24pm On Nov 07, 2015
Nihilist:
CV format posted by the OP is wrong in the first place.

The OP alludes to recruiting mainly fresh grads but posts of sample CV where their education is at the bottom while interests and experience are on top.

Interests are not interesting to recruiters and a fresh graduate is not really expected to have that much experience\achievements anyway.

A CV should sell its owner. OP your sample cv is just boli paper
lol @ bolee paper
Re: Pains Of A Recruiter / HR Mgr by Nobody: 6:06am On Nov 09, 2015
Bennyzino:

Its ok to express ur frustration. But channel it via the proper manner . The last thing you should do is a take it hard on a person that's being helpful to our situation,
A 3rd Class could get a nice job if he's well-mannered.
. Woman wrapper. Are u her mouth piece? BTW I'm not frustrated, and if u must know, I have worked with multinational companies, state and federal ministries, NNPC, and even in Abu Dhabi. I own a company that you can only wish u knew someone that works there for connections, so I'm not unemployed. My HR is not a narcissist
Re: Pains Of A Recruiter / HR Mgr by Nobody: 6:50am On Nov 09, 2015
lrguru:
. Woman wrapper. Are u her mouth piece? BTW I'm not frustrated, and if u must know, I have worked with multinational companies, state and federal ministries, NNPC, and even in Abu Dhabi. I own a company that you can only wish u knew someone that works there for connections, so I'm not unemployed. My HR is not a narcissist
Ok bros I didn't insult you o. I was just saying she came out to be of help to the stranded so the gesture deserves some applaud. Congrats on ur achievements .. I need ur help .
Re: Pains Of A Recruiter / HR Mgr by exotiqueify(f): 7:40am On Nov 10, 2015
sisisioge:

Wowzer! Yours must be one of the weirdest experience ever! He did all that? Wowzer! Dude must be in love with you...reminds me of one of the tales from a M&B novel. Anyways, now that I know you guys come way back, I will just let you two waltz on.

About my prince charming search, I didn't quite find though I met some really wonderful people. Every conversation is an interview, trust me, telephone interview is one of the quickest means of elimination. Pls don't write off the caliber of people here because of your encounter with the unrelenting admirer. Just imagine several of you, me and everyone else with beautiful minds...

My dear, not even close to d word weird that exists in ur imagination....

U have captured my heart, if u were are a man, would have chased u pants down(or maybe not) undecided....

You see how the weakling canvasses for supporters? He totally misunderstood what i was getting at in my reply to u, and he parades himself as...what is the word again?......the omniscient of exotiqueify? angry

uhmm.....About not writing off the caliber of people on NL, it is difficult to shake off.

Believe me dear, most guyz here are nothing but phone-clutching children. They just open their mouth at will, without having anything meaningful to say. Finding a matured folk here bears the similitude to a Nigerian winning the 1,500m race (credited to only the Ethiopians & Kenyans)at the Olympics. You would be 'wowed' to realize they are still the ones who long for a matured, educated and working class chic to date....

I once interacted with a 20 yr old, seeking a 30-yr old to date, trust me, in my inquisitive nature, i had to get close to him,only to be disappointed later on, when he dazed me with the words, 'the older the better in bed'.....strange aint it? In my usual demeanor, i replied, ' if ur creativity in bed is all u have to offer, then you need to be on the botched series'...of course, he felt offended, but i just can't help myself around some dim-wits(excuse the word, please)....

Anyway, browsing through ur criteria,(which of course, is not unlike mine), i can categorically state that, what we both want, can't be found here(i still stand corrected tho').

At a time i had a barrage of PMs, some i didn't even respond to, others i called(if what was on their profile interests me). Many were in wonder how a lady could spend a dime on a guy she knows nothing about. Little did they know i was using that medium to do my eliminations. I wanted a first hand knowledge of whom i was getting acquainted to; leaving the calling to them would only make them prepared, and lie about almost anything. Some, have even accused me of my standards being too high. Why would i not raise standards, for someone whom i would live with everyday?someone who would be Lord over me?......I aint even asking for plenty, infact looks and money ain't my priority (at least i'm not expecting a Dangote's son or a twin to RMD, but..... )

Nevertheless, it's a given, NL is a home of opportunities, (i can't take that away from Seun), adventure(both good & bad), its an eye opener, truly, an educative & informative platform too, but above all, it still remains social media, u don't expect to get the best of what you need....

Call me old school, if you like, but i prefer to see what i intend buying, before going ahead to pay (if you know what i mean).... wink

P.S: Thanx honey, for being my defense smiley.....U could understand me even without interacting with me.....

**Modified

Need i add its the culprits that would most definitely refute my statement...Like d sapiens below?.....
Re: Pains Of A Recruiter / HR Mgr by Nobody: 9:10am On Nov 10, 2015
exotiqueify:

U have captured my heart, if u were are a man, would have chased u pants down(or maybe not) undecided....

You see how the weakling canvasses for supporters? He totally misunderstood what i was getting at in my reply to u, and he parades himself as...what is the word again?......the omniscient of exotiqueify? angry

uhmm.....About not writing off the caliber of people on NL, it is difficult to shake off.

Believe me dear, most guyz here are nothing but phone-clutching children. They just open their mouth at will, without having anything meaningful to say. Finding a matured folk here bears the similitude to a Nigerian winning the 1,500m race (credited to only the Ethiopians & Kenyans)at the Olympics. You would be 'wowed' to realize they are still the ones who long for a matured, educated and working class chic to date....

I once interacted with a 20 yr old, seeking a 30-yr old to date, trust me, in my inquisitive nature, i had to get close to him,only to be disappointed later on, when he dazed me with the words, 'the older the better in bed'.....strange aint it? In my usual demeanor, i replied, ' if ur creativity in bed is all u have to offer, then you need to be on the botched series'...of course, he felt offended, but i just can't help myself around some dim-wits(excuse the word, please).

Anyway, browsing through ur criteria,(which of course, is not unlike mine), i can categorically state that, what we both want, can't be found here(i still stand corrected tho').

At a time i had a barrage of PMs, some i didn't even respond to, others i called(if what was on their profile interests me). Many were in wonder how a lady could spend a dime on a guy she knows nothing about. Little did they know i was using that medium to do my eliminations. I wanted a first hand knowledge of whom i was getting acquainted to; leaving the calling to them would only make them prepared, and lie about almost anything. Some, have even accused me of my standards being too high. Why would i not raise standards, for someone whom i would live with everyday?someone who would be Lord over me?......I aint even asking for plenty, infact looks and money ain't my priority (at least i'm not expecting a Dangote's son or a twin to RMD, but..... )

Nevertheless, it's a given, NL is a home of opportunities, (i can't take that away from Seun), adventure(both good & bad), its an eye opener, truly, an educative & informative platform too, but above all, it still remains social media, u don't expect to get the best of what you need....

Call me old school, if you like, but i prefer to see what i intend buying, before going ahead to pay (if you know what i mean).... wink

P.S: Thanx honey, for being my defense smiley.....U could understand me even without interacting with me.....

common mechionu gi! angry
Re: Pains Of A Recruiter / HR Mgr by Nobody: 12:00am On Nov 11, 2015
exotiqueify:

I once interacted with a 20 yr old, seeking a 30-yr old to date, trust me, in my inquisitive nature, i had to get close to him,only to be disappointed later on, when he dazed me with the words, 'the older the better in bed'.....strange aint it? In my usual demeanor, i replied, ' if ur creativity in bed is all u have to offer, then you need to be on the botched series'...of course, he felt offended, but i just can't help myself around some dim-wits(excuse the word, please)....

**Modified

Need i add its the culprits that would most definitely refute my statement...Like d sapiens below?.....

Is it about what you want or WHAT YOU NEED? For me, I want someone who doesn't talk too much. ... But that mayn't be what I really need. ... It mayn't be the best complement for me, for my kind of person. You understand me.
Re: Pains Of A Recruiter / HR Mgr by sisisioge: 5:50am On Nov 11, 2015
exotiqueify:

**Modified

grin grin...you really do have his number!

It is quite unfortunate that the dude took this style of plucking the flower to heart, were you to be a teenager, maybe.... Just maybe grin Anyway, I really wouldn't want to join the party in derailing the topic further. No wonder, you believe The Good is in minority on NL! A friend, who met her bobo here, is having her introduction ceremony this December. Those two are like peas in a pod.I look at them and wonder! They met and jived, all other forsaken. All will be well.
Re: Pains Of A Recruiter / HR Mgr by exotiqueify(f): 6:24am On Nov 11, 2015
sisisioge:

grin grin...you really do have his number!

It is quite unfortunate that the dude took this style of plucking the flower to heart, were you to be a teenager, maybe.... Just maybe grin Anyway, I really wouldn't want to join the party in derailing the topic further. No wonder, you believe The Good is in minority on NL! A friend, who met her bobo here, is having her introduction ceremony this December. Those two are like peas in a pod.I look at them and wonder! They met and jived, all other forsaken. All will be well.

hmm.....most unfortunately,yes, i DID have his number, but only bc we were both on a group chat once, but deliberately lost it......honey even as a teenager, my priorities were already set, it only took form as i grew older......about not derailing this thread any further, I agree with u......To ur friend?.....congrats to her.... NL is a land of possibilities.....All will be well.....Cheers dear...
Re: Pains Of A Recruiter / HR Mgr by exotiqueify(f): 6:26am On Nov 11, 2015
Obi411:

Is it about what you want or WHAT YOU NEED? For me, I want someone who doesn't talk too much. ... But that mayn't be what I really need. ... It mayn't be the best complement for me, for my kind of person. You understand me.

Love, who says I can't have what I want and what I need at the same time....
Re: Pains Of A Recruiter / HR Mgr by sisisioge: 9:01am On Nov 11, 2015
exotiqueify:

hmm.....most unfortunately,yes, i DID have his number, but only bc we were both on a group chat once, but deliberately lost it......honey even as a teenager, my priorities were already set, it only took form as i grew older......about not derailing this thread any further, I agree with u......To ur friend?.....congrats to her.... NL is a land of possibilities.....All will be well.....Cheers dear...

Cheers Ify...by his number I meant you knew his modus operandi(MO). You could practically predict him. Yes o, about my friend. Those two are darn so lucky! Enjoy your day.

1 Like

Re: Pains Of A Recruiter / HR Mgr by exotique1fy(f): 7:01pm On Nov 14, 2015
exotiqueify:

Love, who says I can't have what I want and what I need at the same time....

of course you can honey! wink
Re: Pains Of A Recruiter / HR Mgr by exotique1fy(f): 7:03pm On Nov 14, 2015
sisisioge:

Cheers Ify...by his number I meant you knew his modus operandi(MO). You could practically predict him. Yes o, about my friend. Those two are darn so lucky! Enjoy your day.

don't mind her! she doesn't know what she's talking about. she's just confused!
Re: Pains Of A Recruiter / HR Mgr by sisisioge: 6:46am On Nov 15, 2015
exotique1fy:

don't mind her! she doesn't know what she's talking about. she's just confused!

I hear you...na you I mind.
Re: Pains Of A Recruiter / HR Mgr by charlycharly: 5:36pm On Mar 22, 2016
MegaMindSet:

Good Day

Quite interesting comments from both divide. This topic will make for an interesting debate. Some very matured comments and as well some temper tantrums. The solution I believe is to collectively create a synergy to help one another. Keep adding value to yourself. Our value is tied to the vacuum our absence creates. I would just add my quota!

I am an Instrument and Automation Engineer…I Studied Electrical and Electronic Engineering. I believe that there are people here who can help me with a job, people of influence. I have heard how some people got jobs via Nairaland and I tap into their testimony. I may never know where this effort will reach, but try I must.

While this may appear a little bit awkward, I am fully aware that most jobs in my Profession are not primarily advertised publicly, but many times through proper networking channels i.e. Word-of-Mouth. So I want to use this medium to ask those who work in related field as I do, and as well as those who may not necessarily be in such departments within their Organization but their company require Engineers who are skilled in Instrumentation and Automation systems.

I have in-depth understanding and working experience of programming of Different PLCs: ALLEN BRADLEY MICROLOGIX 1400, Delta DVP EX2, SIEMENS SIMATIC S7-300, ABB 07KR51, GE-FANUC VERSAMAX, OMRON, SCHNEIDER ELECTRIC TWIDO and Interfacing with various Control Devices and other third Party devices. I am also skilled in Programming of Honeywell, Delta V and ABB Distributed Control System, use of 475 Field HART Communicator, Pressure Calibrator, Temperature Calibrator, Multi-Function Calibrator etc.

I am also familiar with the use different test equipment: HART, DEAD WEIGHT TESTER, overhauling and calibration of control valves and reading and interpretation of P & ID, Electrical Diagrams. I also have experience in teaching and evaluating trainees on the basic principles of Electrical Instrumentation and Control.

So I know the value I will be bringing to my organisation. It has taken me considerable investment in time and money to learn. I have attended trainings in Nigeria and abroad to acquire these skills.

The industry sector opportunities mainly comprise careers related to continuous operating plants for the following: Chemicals, agrochemicals, petrochemicals, fertilizers, pesticides, insecticides, cement, paper, polymers, petroleum refining, power generation, oil and gas fields (onshore and offshore), industrial and scientific gas production, pharmaceuticals, breweries, distilleries, food production, processing and beverages, iron, steel and other metal refining companies, textiles and yarn. My job will be as a part of the company that designs these plants, constructs these plants, maintains these plants, sells or services instrumentation and controls for these plants.

Some private companies are designated EPC (Engineering, Procurement and Construction) companies. Their construction group does installation and commissioning or in some cases also maintenance. Also there are many other companies only doing construction and installation. My work will include designing Instrumentation and control systems for various process equipment, preparing process and instrument diagrams (P&IDs) and selecting the best instrument, control and/or automation technique from amongst different vendors to suit the process.

Remember, however small any job may be, I see to it that I do it; I also keep my mind open for bigger opportunities. I am not sitting idle searching for my dream job. I want to work on new and emerging engineering frontiers.

For those still searching for job opportunities do not stop developing yourself. Save money for opportunities to do some core trainings in the areas you seek career progression. It is only those who are prepared that will seize opportunities in their moments. Be rest assured, opportunities will come. Just be prepared. How do I know this? Because when I did not have these skills, opportunities came and I was not prepared. So I acquired them. Also, use the power of the internet to develop yourself. Do not get rusty. There are very good resources online.

Finally, Nigeria is woefully inadequate in terms of providing these training opportunities to young graduate professionals with the necessary skills to improve their Employability. There are very few well-equipped training centers in the Country that can adequately impact these skills to students. More so, they are very expensive for our young professionals to afford. However, find the skills you need, and excellently strive to acquire them.

Please kindly reach out if you want to talk Instrumentation, Automation, seeking to find new talents for your organisation, business…and also if you love The Arsenal.

Summa Cum Laude

Pls give me your email address
Re: Pains Of A Recruiter / HR Mgr by Nobody: 6:37am On Mar 25, 2016
charlycharly:

Reach me at newfrontiers09@gmail.com. Thank you
Re: Pains Of A Recruiter / HR Mgr by Tbells91(f): 12:18am On Apr 23, 2016
lrguru:

Oga, I don't mind internship in your company! Let me send you my CV, please.
Re: Pains Of A Recruiter / HR Mgr by Gold45(f): 8:37pm On Jul 25, 2016
if you are a job seeker, you can subscribe to this channel on bbm - C0019CE8C for broadcasts of recent job openings. Its very new but updates will roll in soon
#MyContribitionToHumanity
Re: Pains Of A Recruiter / HR Mgr by Chibuikem93(m): 12:31am On Aug 19, 2016
charlycharly:

please I need some enlightenment on industrial Automation. I will be happy if you can reach me. My email address is: johnsonchibuikem093@gmail.com
Re: Pains Of A Recruiter / HR Mgr by mosh2035(m): 5:21pm On Sep 07, 2017
Oven Fresh Resume Template 2017

Some info are intentionally left blank for confidentiality

Key Skills:
- Team, People and Organizational Leadership & Management.
- Strong business development capabilities with European experience.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Expert in Remote infrastructure management (RIM).
- Diversified experience and versatile in key economic sectors i.e. shipping, oil & gas,
manufacturing, health care and hospitality.

Work Experience:

Sept. 2016- Till Date
Job Title: Information Technology Supervisor
- Maintains safe and healthy work environment by establishing and enforcing organizational
standards, adhering to regulations.
- Remotely managing information technology (IT) assets; hardware and software, such as
workstations (desktops, laptops, notebooks, etc.), servers, network devices, storage devices, IT
security devices, etc.
- Evaluates and verifies employee performance through the review of completed work assignments
and work techniques
- Directs the performance of all functions required to prepare and install Server, workstation, microcomputers and related equipment including connections to the data communications network.
- Directs the performance of equipment repair, the building of cables, and the replacement of boards and components to identify or remedy failures.
- Supervises the ordering and inventory of spare parts including the stripping broken equipment for usable parts.
- Coordinates activities by scheduling work assignments, sending out personnel and equipment for repair, setting priorities, and directing the work of subordinate employees.

Mar. 2015- Aug. 2016
Job Title: General Manager
- Participates in formulating and administering company policies, directing and co-coordinating
all divisional department activities to develop and implement long range goals and objectives to
meet business and profitability growth objectives.
- Review analysis of activities, costs, operations and forecast data to determine department
progress towards stated objectives.
- Evaluate business processes and systems to identify need for improvement/review.
- Oversee the safety committee.

April 2014- Feb. 2015
Job Title: General Manager
- Participates in formulating, directing and implementing company policies to meet business and profitability growth objectives.
- Meet with management to review achievements and discuss required changes in set goals based on current company status and conditions.
- Oversee manufacturing and procurement department to ensure minimum cost, prevent operational delays so as to meet set objectives.
- Reviews operations and plans to meet sales forecast and to determine manufacturing requirements to develop new market.
- Confers with the marketing department to determine best medium to create effective product awareness at a minimum cost.
- Ensure compliance with company Health, Safety and Environment policy.
- Oversee the safety committee.

Key Achievements
- Proposed and implemented the filtration of Sachet water ‘’pure water’’ through semi -permeable
membrane (reverse osmosis). A first of its kind in Africa.
- Proffered good manufacturing practice that reduced the cost of production by over 30%.
- Improved the safety awareness and consciousness of the entire workforce through enlightenment about the importance of Health, Safety and the Environment.

Feb. 2013- April 2014
Job Title: Deputy Logistics Manager
- Preparation of logistics and support plans.
- Development and implementation of techniques and tools to enable effective and efficient execution of logistics plan.
- Identify, plan and manage special logistics operations.
- Preparation of reports on personnel and material movements and other operational logistics issues.
- Ensure crew Safety and Health certifications are Valid
- Co-chair safety committee meeting with the chairman.

Key Achievements
- Proposed and implemented a complete ship security alarm system onboard the company’s fleet to combat sea robbery, piracy and provide real - time ship co-ordinates.
- Re-negotiated fleet maintenance service agreement with the shipbuilder in Turkey to provide
better service and reduce cost to the company.
- Pioneered and chaired the safety committee of the company.

May 2011- Dec. 2011
Job Title: Purchasing Officer
- Negotiate for best purchasing package (in terms of quality, price, term of delivery and service) with suppliers and sub-contractors assigned.
- Monitor and co-ordinate deliveries of items between suppliers to ensure that all items are delivered to site/store on time.
- Maintain complete updated purchasing records/data and pricing in the system.
- Assist in managing and following up overseas orders.
- Purchase and issue order in accordance to specification.

Key Achievements
- Eliminated middlemen in the supply chain so we directly relate with suppliers in China and thus reduced our purchase expenditure.
- Improved sale was recorded through better customer relation and service.

May 2010- March 2011
Job Title: Hospitality Supervisor
- Manage and organise all staff requirements and Rota.
- Plan and organize the setup of all events and functions.
- To supervise the delivery of food and drinks to each venue on time.

Key Achievement
- Championed the need for better customer service and relation which led to improved customer
retention.

Mar. 2009- Feb. 2010 Orion Marine Limited NG
Job Title: Deck Cadet
- Keeping navigational watch at the bridge.
- Steering of the ship under the supervision of the chief mate.
- Chart plotting under the supervision of the chief mate
- Supervise and assist in mooring and unmooring operation.
- Assist 3rd officer in checking and testing safety equipment onboard the ship.

Key Achievement
- Set a record as the youngest deck cadet ever to sail on the company’s largest vessel MT BORA1.

Oct. 2005– Sept. 2006 JAMUKH Ventures Limited NG
Job Title: Sales representative
- Product advertisement in Local markets, supermarkets and other retail outlets
- Taking orders and supplying goods efficiently
- Ensuring that all goods are of high quality and NAFDAC approved.

Education and Training:

Jan. 2017- Jan. 2017 FAWEMA Nursing Contractor (USA)
Certified Behavior Principles and Strategies Protocol.
Certified Medication Technician.

Nov. 2016- Nov. 2016 American Health and Safety Institute (US)
First Aid and CPR/AED Certification.

Oct. 2014- May 2015 Occupational Safety and Health Academy (USA).
Occupational Health and Safety Professional Certification.

Jan. 2013- Jan. 2013 Nigerian Institute of Safety Professionals (NG)
Health, Safety and Environment Competence Level (3) Certification.

General Health and Safety Certification Level 1 - 2.
* Explains how to ensure that health of the workforce, assets of the company and the
environment is preserved.

March 2012- July 2012 Certified Institute of Shipping, Nigeria (NG)
Associate Graduate Diploma Ship Management
* How to properly manage a ship to ensure productivity, reduced cost of
maintenance and operation.

May 2010- Nov. 2011 Manchester Metropolitan University (UK).
Bsc (Hons) Management and Business Administration.

July 2011- July 2011 Warsash Maritime Academy (UK)
MARPOL Compliance Course
* Ensure that MARPOL annexes are implemented to prevent marine pollution.

Dec. 2010- May 2011 BridgeTEFL (USA)
Teaching English as a Foreign Language.

Mar.2008- Mar. 2008 Maritime Academy of Nigeria Oron, Akwa-Ibom Nigeria
(STCW 95 Certification)
Certification in Elementary First Aid (EFA)
* How to give first aid treatment in event of an emergency onboard.

Certification in Oil Tanker Familiarization (OTF)
* Familiarization with an Oil tanker ship, the equipment and machineries onboard.

Certification in Personal Survival Technique (PST)
* How to rescue oneself and others in the event of an emergency onboard the ship.

Certification in Personal Safety and Social Responsibilities (PSSR)
* How to be safety conscious onboard while performing duty.

Certification in Fire Prevention and Fire Fighting (FPFF)
* How to be safety conscious and prevent fire outbreak onboard the ship.

Sept. 2006- Oct. 2008 Maritime Academy of Nigeria Oron, Akwa-Ibom Nigeria.
Diploma in Maritime Transport and Business Studies
* Explains how the maritime industry relates to the business world

Sept. 1999- July 2005 Universal Muslim Comprehensive High School, Lagos.
Senior Secondary School Certificate (GCSE Equivalent)

Certification Courses:
Institute of Commercial Management (UK).
- Human resource management.
- Strategic Management.
- Marketing Management.
- Customer Service

Alison Advanced Learning (UK).
- Certification in Drug free workplace.
- Certification in Operations Management.
- Certification in Workstation Ergonomics.
- Diploma in Workplace safety and health.
- Diploma in Customer Service.

Occupational Safety and Health Academy (USA).
- Introduction to Safety Management - Effective Safety Committee Operations
- Effective Accident Investigation - Introduction to OSH Training
- Hazard Analysis and Control - Hazard Communication Program
- Conducting a Job Hazard Analysis - Effective Safety Committee Meetings
- Personal Protective Equipment - Energy Control Program – LOTO
- Introduction to Ergonomics - Safety Supervision and Leadership
- Confined Space Program - Fall Protection Program
- Electrical Safety Basics - Safety Management System Evaluation
- Emergency Action Plans - Fire Prevention Plans
- Fleet Safety Management - Preventing Workplace Violence
- Developing OSH Training - Ergonomics Program Management
- Conducting OSH Training - Introduction to Industrial Hygiene
- Blood borne Pathogens Program Management.

Information Technology Skills:
- Competent in the use of Microsoft works.
- Installation of Operating System and Configuration.
- Identification and assemble of Computer components.
- Antivirus, antimalware and Firewall installation & configuration.
- Expert in Remote infrastructure management (RIM)
- Computer Networking and trouble-shooting.
- Full computer assemble and repair.
- Biometric attendance configuration and setting.
- Computer server deployment and configuration.
- Server deployment, operation and remote access.
- Armoured and generic CCTV installation, configuration, monitoring and remote access.

Seminars Attended:
- Digital Revolution in ICT by Zenith Bank PLC (Abuja) 2005
- Optimum utilization of Microsoft works (Online) 2008
- Personal coaching workshop (London) 2010
- Microsoft Presentation of Windows 7 (London) 2010
- Port security and anti-terrorism (Poole) 2010
- Oil spillage prevention and management (Southampton) 2011
- Time Management and employee optimization (Glasgow) 2011
- Combating ship piracy and hostage taking (London) 2011.
- Overview of Ship anatomy and ship management (Lagos) 2012.
- Sustainable agricultural techniques (Accra) 2013.
- Maritime safety and good work practice (Washington DC) 2015.
- Organizational commitment to safety and managing safely (Oregon) 2015.
- Essential controls for high performing IT teams (Online) 2017
- How to beat evasive malware at its own game (Online) 2017
- Understanding the Windows Server Administration Fundamentals (Online) 2017.

Publications:
- The Importance of Deploying a Complete Ship Security Alarm System. (Published)
- A Collection of Reputable Tuition-Free Universities and Colleges in Europe. (Published)
- The Impact of Employee Satisfaction in Oil & Gas Industry in Nigeria: A case study of
Nasarralah Oil & Gas Limited. (Dissertation).

Personal Attributes:
- Interpersonal skill, entrepreneurial skill, team player and high intuition.
Re: Pains Of A Recruiter / HR Mgr by Nackzy: 2:40pm On Apr 07, 2018
Gold45:
As an international Recruiter,
I have noticed some things that hinder my recruitment in Nigeria, it is heart breaking when someone comes to me and says I'm relocating to the USA or Canada or wherever, what placement can you get for me and just by chatting with the person, I know that it will have to be a menial job despite the diplomas and degrees.
There is a reason why I have Recruited over 50 expatriates from some unimaginable countries into Nigeria where they got perks like:
3 bedroom furnished apartment in the Lekki area a few bus stops away from the company
2 domestic staffs to do the cleaning, cooking and driving.
Comprehensive health insurance
Approx. 10M annual salary
28 working days paid vacation
3 working days paid leave
Approx 3M in other allowances
Return annual paid tickets to their home country annually
In some cases a lesser paying job for the spouse is guaranteed.

I have facilitated the purchase of some Multi Million houses which Companies bought for their expatriate staffs. The minimum being 700M for 20 units of 3 bedroom flats, and some up to 2 Billion just for these expatriates.

You must be thinking why, below are some of the reasons in my opinion.
1. Education
Our universities don't help matters, they split one course into 3 units for students to study and graduate and use 20 years old techniques / syllabus to teach. As a result, fresh Nigerian graduates and even West African graduates can not stand fresh graduates from other parts of the world until they have experience or go for more classes. I begin to ask, what is the craze to get admission and graduate for?

2. Lack of seriousness on the part of the students
As if that isnt enough, many of their results were bought in the sense that in a new setting, they can't defend this result. A Bsc Econs holder couldn't pass an exam to place her in a 200level equivalent in the USA. While in school, a lot of them joined cults and turned to private prostitutes just to get the good grades. News Flash!!! Recruiters are fully aware and can't be deceived.

3. Inability to speak good English
What breaks my heart now is that many of them can't speak good English. They are well educated in the best schools but nothing to show for it. If that cert. goes missing today, and they have the opportunity to write another exam to receive a new result, 80% won't pass. Yes, English isn't our mother tongue but when you want a job in a company where English language is spoken, you have to speak English too. Your command of English is highly important. It can speak a lot about you even before you present your certs.

4. Greed
Now, once in a while, I see a graduate who has ticked all the wrong boxes still forming "I know my worth and wont settle for less". I'll simply tell you to call me next week as that's when I'll be recruiting for the big fishes and that will be the end. The bad part of these incompetence is that you never know you have them. Hence, there's nothing to lower those over inflated egos.

5. Nonchalant attitude
Some feel once they have gotten their certs esp. the 1st class and 2nd class upper, they have tried abeg. Cut them some slack, give them a break. But they don't understand that its just the beginning. You must seek more exposure by all means. Keep reading, keep find ways to polish your trophy, keep learning from those who are there.
For example; I can say, 90% of graduates, cant write a standard cover letter, 85% cant write a standard Resume / CV. My mum looked at an applicants cv one day, laughed and said, My CV was as naive as this when I applied for my first job. Meaning, that CV was in vogue in the 1970's!!! I'll talk more on the CV later.

6. Unrealistic desires
Okay, we all know you didn't spend years in the Uni for nothing. You didn't go to Boko Haram infested areas during your service for nothing etc. But baby, its time to wake up! Life isn't rosy anymore. There is tight competition out there. There are over 2000 people better than you graduating every year. The best tool you have when job hunting is experience. I daresay experience is more valuable than degrees in some cases. Start where you are as long as i can recharge your phone, transport you to and from work and pay your basic bills, it will be worth it.
Learn from Dami:
Dami (not real name) ticked 3 wrong boxes and due to the strict requirement, could never see the light of the job. What did Dami do?
He wrote a new application letter volunteering to work for free only asking to be allowed to benefit from the Company's transport as he lives far. 2 years later, Dami got a job in that company as an Assistant Mgr.

7. Lack of Packaging
You are a brand, you wish to be the face of a company, how can you sell the company in a good image if you can't sell yourself? Start with your CV and cover letter.
I don't care where you are from unless the job specifically asked for candidates from a particular region. telling me you have an experience as a waiter in a 7* hotel when applying for the post of a teacher will make me shove your resume in the bin.
Indicate all that apply and leave out the unnecessary details. I skim through 80 - 100 Cv's in 1hr or more. Meaning at a glance, I want to see what I want shouting back at me in your resume. Keep it straight to the point and Brief. Don't lie! Be creative, learn new ways to write a cv. Always ask someone who likes you to proof read for you. Always run a spell check. Don't have one CV. I have more than 8. Always create a new CV to fit the new job. Indicate in the section for skills, all your skills which was listed as a requirement.

8. Failing to test all spirits
Apply to all positions you feel you are qualified for.
Secret: You don't need to have it all. Hr Managers are there to brush you up!

I have to stop now.
Below is the cv of a guy with just WAEC ( I edited it for him )

The other pix are for laughter effects
Your write up is insightful, would have love to face you as my interviewer, jst to get the experience

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

2022 Nigerian Breweries Graduate Management Development Scheme Discussion Thread / My Experience In A Deceived Job Interview In Lagos(gnld Now Neolife Networking) / His Friends Called Him An Errand Boy, But Today His Errand Has Paid Off

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 163
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.