Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,601 members, 7,809,184 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:35 AM

Pains Of A Recruiter / HR Mgr - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Pains Of A Recruiter / HR Mgr (41659 Views)

How To Answer ''Tell Us About Yourself'' When A Recruiter Asks You / How To Shake Hands When A Recruiter Asks For A Handshake / E-recruiter MTN Graduate Trainee (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Pains Of A Recruiter / HR Mgr by dammytosh: 2:19pm On Oct 30, 2015
Yes a lot of youths are not employable.
Re: Pains Of A Recruiter / HR Mgr by AreaFada2: 2:19pm On Oct 30, 2015
Nice thread
Re: Pains Of A Recruiter / HR Mgr by ifyeez: 2:19pm On Oct 30, 2015
So what else
Re: Pains Of A Recruiter / HR Mgr by Kx: 2:22pm On Oct 30, 2015
Hello Recruiter.

You advised job seekers to always run a spell check.
You equally took pride in the quality of the cv reviewed and attached by you. Excellent.

Please edit this portion of the attached cv if you dont mind:

...My duties were to ensure the convenience and well being of guests and [size=18pt]staffs[/size]"...

Thank you.

15 Likes

Re: Pains Of A Recruiter / HR Mgr by walemadu: 2:24pm On Oct 30, 2015
Very true! Haspol is trying to cope

Re: Pains Of A Recruiter / HR Mgr by Nobody: 2:28pm On Oct 30, 2015
these sounds like Ben Bruce n common sence.. disturbing people n doing nothing at the senate

9 Likes

Re: Pains Of A Recruiter / HR Mgr by Bigdreams(m): 2:28pm On Oct 30, 2015
Interesting discourse.

I'm following this thread.
Re: Pains Of A Recruiter / HR Mgr by oscarnoble(m): 2:30pm On Oct 30, 2015
For your architectural building design and structural works call 07057701943 or email me at uchennaoscar@gmail.com

1 Like

Re: Pains Of A Recruiter / HR Mgr by beyondwalls: 2:33pm On Oct 30, 2015
Hi Op,

Kindly advise on this case.
What are the factors that could be responsible for going through shortlisting, getting to the final stage of the recruitment process and in the end getting sorry mail. This has happened about 5 times in the past one year with top companies. The most annoying part is most of the times i find it hard to pick what i did or said wrong during the interview. It's just so depressing.

Gold45:
As an international Recruiter,
I have noticed some things that hinder my recruitment in Nigeria, it is heart breaking when someone comes to me and says I'm relocating to the USA or Canada or wherever, what placement can you get for me and just by chatting with the person, I know that it will have to be a menial job despite the diplomas and degrees.
There is a reason why I have Recruited over 50 expatriates from some unimaginable countries into Nigeria where they got perks like:
3 bedroom furnished apartment in the Lekki area a few bus stops away from the company
2 domestic staffs to do the cleaning, cooking and driving.
Comprehensive health insurance
Approx. 10M annual salary
28 working days paid vacation
3 working days paid leave
Approx 3M in other allowances
Return annual paid tickets to their home country annually
In some cases a lesser paying job for the spouse is guaranteed.

I have facilitated the purchase of some Multi Million houses which Companies bought for their expatriate staffs. The minimum being 700M for 20 units of 3 bedroom flats, and some up to 2 Billion just for these expatriates.

You must be thinking why, below are some of the reasons in my opinion.
1. Education
Our universities don't help matters, they split one course into 3 units for students to study and graduate and use 20 years old techniques / syllabus to teach. As a result, fresh Nigerian graduates and even West African graduates can not stand fresh graduates from other parts of the world until they have experience or go for more classes. I begin to ask, what is the craze to get admission and graduate for?

2. Lack of seriousness on the part of the students
As if that isnt enough, many of their results were bought in the sense that in a new setting, they can't defend this result. A Bsc Econs holder couldn't pass an exam to place her in a 200level equivalent in the USA. While in school, a lot of them joined cults and turned to private prostitutes just to get the good grades. News Flash!!! Recruiters are fully aware and can't be deceived.

3. Inability to speak good English
What breaks my heart now is that many of them can't speak good English. They are well educated in the best schools but nothing to show for it. If that cert. goes missing today, and they have the opportunity to write another exam to receive a new result, 80% won't pass. Yes, English isn't our mother tongue but when you want a job in a company where English language is spoken, you have to speak English too. Your command of English is highly important. It can speak a lot about you even before you present your certs.

4. Greed
Now, once in a while, I see a graduate who has ticked all the wrong boxes still forming "I know my worth and wont settle for less". I'll simply tell you to call me next week as that's when I'll be recruiting for the big fishes and that will be the end. The bad part of these incompetence is that you never know you have them. Hence, there's nothing to lower those over inflated egos.

5. Nonchalant attitude
Some feel once they have gotten their certs esp. the 1st class and 2nd class upper, they have tried abeg. Cut them some slack, give them a break. But they don't understand that its just the beginning. You must seek more exposure by all means. Keep reading, keep find ways to polish your trophy, keep learning from those who are there.
For example; I can say, 90% of graduates, cant write a standard cover letter, 85% cant write a standard Resume / CV. My mum looked at an applicants cv one day, laughed and said, My CV was as naive as this when I applied for my first job. Meaning, that CV was in vogue in the 1970's!!! I'll talk more on the CV later.

6. Unrealistic desires
Okay, we all know you didn't spend years in the Uni for nothing. You didn't go to Boko Haram infested areas during your service for nothing etc. But baby, its time to wake up! Life isn't rosy anymore. There is tight competition out there. There are over 2000 people better than you graduating every year. The best tool you have when job hunting is experience. I daresay experience is more valuable than degrees in some cases. Start where you are as long as i can recharge your phone, transport you to and from work and pay your basic bills, it will be worth it.
Learn from Dami:
Dami (not real name) ticked 3 wrong boxes and due to the strict requirement, could never see the light of the job. What did Dami do?
He wrote a new application letter volunteering to work for free only asking to be allowed to benefit from the Company's transport as he lives far. 2 years later, Dami got a job in that company as an Assistant Mgr.

7. Lack of Packaging
You are a brand, you wish to be the face of a company, how can you sell the company in a good image if you can't sell yourself? Start with your CV and cover letter.
I don't care where you are from unless the job specifically asked for candidates from a particular region. telling me you have an experience as a waiter in a 7* hotel when applying for the post of a teacher will make me shove your resume in the bin.
Indicate all that apply and leave out the unnecessary details. I skim through 80 - 100 Cv's in 1hr or more. Meaning at a glance, I want to see what I want shouting back at me in your resume. Keep it straight to the point and Brief. Don't lie! Be creative, learn new ways to write a cv. Always ask someone who likes you to proof read for you. Always run a spell check. Don't have one CV. I have more than 8. Always create a new CV to fit the new job. Indicate in the section for skills, all your skills which was listed as a requirement.

8. Failing to test all spirits
Apply to all positions you feel you are qualified for.
Secret: You don't need to have it all. Hr Managers are there to brush you up!

I have to stop now.
Below is the cv of a guy with just WAEC ( I edited it for him )

The other pix are for laughter effects
Re: Pains Of A Recruiter / HR Mgr by ambassadorgozie(m): 2:35pm On Oct 30, 2015
Op better com and give us solutions..
OR

Re: Pains Of A Recruiter / HR Mgr by shrimati(m): 2:39pm On Oct 30, 2015
skillip:
@Op, nice write up you have written. However, I have some observations to make. I think after the summary your work experience comes next, I don't have time to be looking at interest etc first, because I have too many Cv's to peruse and no time.
I will prefere this format, Summary, work experience and accomplishment just beneath each job/place you worked, skills follow etc.
Like I said it's just my opinion, I just look for what you have done first, achievments/accomplishment, matching skills etc.
Keep it up.
Yes, nice observation, I belong to that school of thought. "Tell me your experience before you tell me what you achieved why gaining the experience."

1 Like

Re: Pains Of A Recruiter / HR Mgr by OfficialIYANU(m): 2:40pm On Oct 30, 2015
kaykash007:
This is informative.....but I also think the Op should at least give hint on how to build a strong attractive CV to compete in the Nigeria Labour market.

This is part of the issues she is raising. Nigerians would not just SMART UP. There's already an example of a CV she herself edited. Look and learn from it Bros. Haha!

@OP
I also face majority of these challenges whilst recruiting. With the level of educational, mental and moral decadence, I have come to realise ONLY GOD can rescue this country from the rocks we're headed! KAI
Re: Pains Of A Recruiter / HR Mgr by Curvinus(m): 2:41pm On Oct 30, 2015
Abeg shut up Mr. Recruiter. What are you recruiting sef and how much are you being paid to saddle us with this your rambling twittle tattle?

2 Likes

Re: Pains Of A Recruiter / HR Mgr by prettyboi1(m): 2:41pm On Oct 30, 2015
Nice article. I keep saying a lot of us Nigerian youths are very unenlightened....even the so-called 'educated' ones. All we brag about here is "I went to school", "I have a degree", "I am a first-class/second class-upper/second class lower student", "I studied engineering ", "I'm a doctor" etc....who the fvck cares? If you can't offer me practical thinking and solutions, you don't interest me, screw your 'certificate'.
Re: Pains Of A Recruiter / HR Mgr by 400billionman: 2:47pm On Oct 30, 2015
Milliprime:
So how do you help to solve the problem.

You telling them to call you back next week whereas you do not wish to further with them goes a long way to show how you are being of no help to those you assumed client or job seeker.

Blame the Nigerian education system. How many people do you expect him to help ?

To me, sending children to a Nigerian University is like waste of funds unless they are not business inclined at all.
Re: Pains Of A Recruiter / HR Mgr by Bigdreams(m): 2:50pm On Oct 30, 2015
Learning...
Re: Pains Of A Recruiter / HR Mgr by 400billionman: 2:52pm On Oct 30, 2015
What this thread is all about is that if i can write or pay someone to write me a good resume or cover letter, and i dont know anything, the poster will recruit me.

Okay.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Pains Of A Recruiter / HR Mgr by oc2fish: 2:56pm On Oct 30, 2015
sihom:

When you do get back to your thread please help me understand the following things

1. What makes the expatriates stand out in a pool of candidates where there are Nigerians as well?

2. Why are expatriates more appealing to recruiters/employers more than Nigerians?

Questions 1 & 2 are kind of similar but please treat them separately and be brutally honest abeg.

3. Do these expatriates actually meet and exceed expectations where they end up? Do they out perform their co-workers from Naija or other African countries?

I ask these questions because I've met a good number of Nigerians who are well spoken with a good head on their shoulders and come across as well adjusted adults who can handle business at the work place.

I really don't buy this notion & idea that Nigerian graduates are unemployable. Granted a number of them may mess up during applications and at interviews but a majority of folks I've met have it together.

My honest observation.

My dear sister students and Government share the blame.

Government.
Imagine a student in biosciences whose lecturer has never use a PCR machine. This lecturer was taught by a lacturer who has not seen this machine. The same lecturer was taught by one who used the analog PCR machine in the 60's. Can you tell me how the student will be marketable in todays world.

Student.
Most students do not value knowledge. They see going to class as stress. They want the degree without the knowledge.

3 Likes

Re: Pains Of A Recruiter / HR Mgr by raayah(f): 2:57pm On Oct 30, 2015
400billionman:

Blame the Nigerian education system. How many people do you expect him to help ?

To me, sending children to a Nigerian University is like waste of funds unless they are not business inclined at all.

Seconded!
Re: Pains Of A Recruiter / HR Mgr by skeema: 2:59pm On Oct 30, 2015
Can u please give out ur mail address for CV reviews?
Re: Pains Of A Recruiter / HR Mgr by sirmmykay(m): 3:00pm On Oct 30, 2015
really appreciate dis write up of yours, pls will like to seek advice from you. my mail address is ajibolasamuel14@gmail.com. thanks as I wait for your
quick reply
Re: Pains Of A Recruiter / HR Mgr by banio: 3:07pm On Oct 30, 2015
Just be confident. I assure U most recruiters are as dumb as the word. They are only trying to work on ur psyche and make U feel less important and of little value.
I attended an interview a long time ago. One of the interviewer read my course, so he started asking me O'level questions. I bamboozled him. After the interview I cross-check and found out that He was just asking me out of line questions.
Even those that did Shell Intensive Training Program were asked simple and normal questions. So people shud stop saying graduates are not skilled enough.
Good luck to all

4 Likes

Re: Pains Of A Recruiter / HR Mgr by Owliver(m): 3:10pm On Oct 30, 2015
all ur mates go to school so you must ho else the area labels you good for nothing, you gain admission you cant even eat properly in order to learn properly. ok you managed to pass jamb and runs your way to a university and you believe you are automatically brilliant than polytechnic student. monkey

and then You are in an higher institution and your department lecturers are quarrelling and it affect the grades why? cos a lecture will tell you "A1 is for Jesus and B is for himself"

then the lecturer brags because his course is hard". and then the so-called graduates come online to say their school is the hardest(saying that with pride) and other "easy schools"(like convenant) are wack schools cos they have many first class. idiots

and then the perverted lectures hold the student fromm graduating just for seks and when she gives in we call her a LovePeddler, and the boys bribe their way and we call them good for nothing.

then when a student gets 12 A's the department reduces it to keep the integrity(as hardest/best dept) with pride and the fellow students brag with it. fools

and then the government dont even provide fercilities for practical learning but will receive 20-30million as allowances monthly and the youths will go to politics section to shout "sai saraki, david mark na baba, wailing wailers etc... nincompoops

and the the same recruiters who most likely passed through the same corrupt system is now coming to tell us jargons and the people are echoing out of stupudeety.

Nigeria problem na we the youths. so senseless and gullible

12 Likes

Re: Pains Of A Recruiter / HR Mgr by Nobody: 3:10pm On Oct 30, 2015
Another 'unemployed degree holder' bashing thread. The op reeks of nothing but bitterness. I know his type- the kind that will push you to lie about your ability to turn water to wine during an interview. What will you say about the those who had it easy and did not have to prove their 'worth' to annoying recruiters like you, but are doing relatively well? Will you say they are not employable? Come up with something more reasonable.

2 Likes

Re: Pains Of A Recruiter / HR Mgr by InvertedHammer: 3:11pm On Oct 30, 2015
/
Recruiting graduates from Nigeria must be one of the toughest jobs out there.

I have never seen a set that takes pride in ignorance. Some CVs will put tears in your eyes. Once in a while, you run into one that will erase your bias.

They think it doesn't matter until it does.

Kudos!

/

1 Like

Re: Pains Of A Recruiter / HR Mgr by sochima1989(m): 3:13pm On Oct 30, 2015
after building a cv for front desk cleaner/hotel house keeper?
OfficialIYANU:

This is part of the issues she is raising. Nigerians would not just SMART UP. There's already an example of a CV she herself edited. Look and learn from it Bros. Haha!

@OP
I also face majority of these challenges whilst recruiting. With the level of educational, mental and moral decadence, I have come to realise ONLY GOD can rescue this country from the rocks we're headed! KAI

1 Like

Re: Pains Of A Recruiter / HR Mgr by faites(f): 3:15pm On Oct 30, 2015
Nice write-up. I won't mind if I'm included in your job pool. I did mass communication and personnel management. I am an avid writer and editor. I have worked in newspaper and magazine firms, but I now want to taste other waters. Maybe in the area of personnel management or administration. I speak a little french also. Email- ev2cindy@gmail.com
Re: Pains Of A Recruiter / HR Mgr by Tpeters(m): 3:16pm On Oct 30, 2015
I'll like to have a chat with you... Can I have your contact(WhatsApp no)
yorex2011:
I'm usually saddened when Nigerian graduates and students are belittled, using qualifiers as "half-baked" and "unemployable".
Considering I'm a recent Graduate myself.
We are compared with our counterparts from other developed countries, forgetting that we are a developing country.
True, there are a number that fall short of expectation, but it is like that in other countries too.
I recently registered for a massive open online course (MOOC) organized by IFP school France, and i am impressed at their methodology, and i imagined, that's how it should be in their schools there too, learning is convenient and interesting, unlike here in Nigeria where we have to go through hurdles, such as economic hardships, poor amenities, difficult learning conditions and yet still graduate with good grades.

Nigerian graduates should not be belittled, if not for anything but for the fact that we triumphed in difficult conditions.
Everyday we see topics of Engineering students building stuff and here on Nairaland are still insulted, and their efforts rubbished. Do they think its easy building something out of nothing, it shows our innovative and never say die spirit.

We should try to help out, we wont get anywhere by criticizing everyday, we should try to offer solutions, seek out ways to improve the state of things. Rome wasn't built in a day.

I'm currently looking for a job, but i helped a fellow nairalander review his cv once, I'm not a professional CV writer, but i read a lot and I did it, as a way of contributing to some form of development. Same with a group i created for unemployed graduates where we share ideas, information, tips, ideas. Its not much but I'm contributing the little i can.

We sometimes forget the days of humble beginnings, someone that schooled in Nigeria, maybe holding a good position, calling graduates unemployable...

Nigerians are good people, hardworking, it goes beyond what you see, its a way of life, even if 90% of us can't write a cover letter or 85% of use can't write a CV, we will keep persevering, we will keep going till we overcome

Note that a future president, future CEO, future Nobel prize winner is currently among these so-called half baked.

God bless us all

1 Like

Re: Pains Of A Recruiter / HR Mgr by drnoel: 3:29pm On Oct 30, 2015
ALl these recruiters and their wahala. I once heard a headhunter ask me to my surprise "if the company I recruit for decides to take you what would you bring to the table"? I looked stupefied at the woman and answered her something very silly (Pls job seekers donĀ“t do this in you interview). I said "If my work experience and my wealth of knowledge in that area does not speak for itself then nothing would. Then I added "Its not just about what I can bring to the table but also what the company is prepared to offer me to bring out my potential and remove any misgivings I may have to give my best to the job". U can imagine the shock on her face. I didnt relent there, I asked her "are we done". When she said yes, I politely thanked her and walked out thinking that was it and that I would have to wait for another interview. They didnt waste time, cos their Director called me a few days later and told me "I heard your brash reply to our personnel manager. If you want to visit us for 3 days let us see you working style we would be happy to offer you a place". I agreed. Went there, worked with them and am sill with them these last few years.

Funny enof I met that lady again and I laughingly greeted her. After talking for sometime she sheepishly asked me why I replied what I did at my interview. I replied "from experience and from so many interviews I know recruiters have already decided who they want to take before the intervew. What changes their mind is not just the candiates performace but also how the candidiate presents him/herself. I told her I was sure I had gotten the job but just wanted a mediaum to show what I knew and that question was not such a medium".

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pains Of A Recruiter / HR Mgr by Emmaesty(f): 3:30pm On Oct 30, 2015
Kx:
Hello Recruiter.

You advised job seekers to always run a spell check.
You equally took pride in the quality of the cv reviewed and attached by you. Excellent.

Please edit this portion of the attached cv if you dont mind:

...My duties were to ensure the convenience and well being of guests and [size=18pt]staffs[/size]"...

Thank you.
Instead of you to learn from what the Op posted, you're busy finding faults. Nobody is above mistakes abeg
Re: Pains Of A Recruiter / HR Mgr by bextie: 3:33pm On Oct 30, 2015
Nigerian Recruiters taking advantage of the saturated market to down grade graduates.

There is God ooooo.
Re: Pains Of A Recruiter / HR Mgr by Kx: 3:34pm On Oct 30, 2015
Emmaesty:
Instead of you to learn from what the Op posted, you're busy finding faults. Nobody is above mistakes abeg

See how you put it :"finding fault". Except if you wanted me to learn how to mispell words; a gap which the op wanted job seekers to avoid. grin

I was simply drawing the op's attention to an indisputable fact. I wont say more than that.

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

His Friends Called Him An Errand Boy, But Today His Errand Has Paid Off / How A Single Button Got Me Turned Down At An Interview Today / STERLING BANK RECRUITMENT- The True Story!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.