Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,602 members, 7,812,971 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 12:33 AM

Alcohol: good Or Evil. What The Bible Really Says. - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Alcohol: good Or Evil. What The Bible Really Says. (48447 Views)

What The Bible Really Says About Women Covering Their Head To Church / If Balance Is An Excuse For The Existence Of Good And Evil What Balances Heaven? / Nairaland Atheists , Is This Man Good Or Evil After Doing All These ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Alcohol: good Or Evil. What The Bible Really Says. by Nobody: 9:21am On Nov 01, 2015
baruzeez:
young lyk 100+ba
Lolz
Re: Alcohol: good Or Evil. What The Bible Really Says. by Nobody: 9:23am On Nov 01, 2015
gradeA:
Am glad you quoted Luke 1:15 in your write-up. The reason John the Baptist was forbidden from taking alcohol was because he would be filled with the Holy Spirit from birth.

Now alcohol was permitted in the dispensation of old, but we are now in the dispensation of the Holy Spirit, and it is forbidden.

once we have the new birth in Christ, and are baptised in the Holy Ghost, we get to the stage John the Baptist was at birth and what applied to him becomes applicable to us.

Guys the conclusion remains once you are born again, and filled with the Spirit of God, you have no business with alcohol, be it a sip, gulp or total consumption.

cc; LEGALAide.
Remember too that john never shaved his hair.
Hope you don't shave yours.
Just asking Mr. Man.

6 Likes

Re: Alcohol: good Or Evil. What The Bible Really Says. by Nobody: 9:25am On Nov 01, 2015
gradeA:
Am glad you quoted Luke 1:15 in your write-up. The reason John the Baptist was forbidden from taking alcohol was because he would be filled with the Holy Spirit from birth.

Now alcohol was permitted in the dispensation of old, but we are now in the dispensation of the Holy Spirit, and it is forbidden.

once we have the new birth in Christ, and are baptised in the Holy Ghost, we get to the stage John the Baptist was at birth and what applied to him becomes applicable to us.

Guys the conclusion remains once you are born again, and filled with the Spirit of God, you have no business with alcohol, be it a sip, gulp or total consumption.

cc; LEGALAide.
and I guess Timothy appeared in the OLD TESTAMENT right?

3 Likes

Re: Alcohol: good Or Evil. What The Bible Really Says. by Nobody: 9:26am On Nov 01, 2015
psucc:
I feel in everything moderation is Paramount.

Wine is good but can kill. The most important thing is if your body system does not support it why not abstain? Some people can take 2 glass/bottle or whatever measure and still uphold their integrity but some would be thrown off balance just by the odour from the empty glass.

It's no sin.
Re: Alcohol: good Or Evil. What The Bible Really Says. by niggi4life(m): 9:26am On Nov 01, 2015
gradeA:

Once we have the new birth in Christ, and are baptised in the Holy Ghost, we get to the stage John the Baptist was at birth and what applied to him becomes applicable to us.

cc; LEGALAide.
so we Catholics that take wine during holy communion are sinners right?
Remember jesus said do this in memory of me?

2 Likes

Re: Alcohol: good Or Evil. What The Bible Really Says. by ELGREF(m): 9:27am On Nov 01, 2015
We do what God doesn't want to enjoys this life, we do what human doesn't want, so we can make heaven
Re: Alcohol: good Or Evil. What The Bible Really Says. by Nobody: 9:27am On Nov 01, 2015
LEGALAide:

...not minding that your question is neither here nor there, I'll answer.
Cannabis even in moderation is bad for you.
Stop taking it already!

How is cannabis a sin
Re: Alcohol: good Or Evil. What The Bible Really Says. by laclass(m): 9:29am On Nov 01, 2015
On point ?
Re: Alcohol: good Or Evil. What The Bible Really Says. by GRACEGLORY: 9:31am On Nov 01, 2015
[quote author=LEGALAide post=39567526] WINE: GOOD OR EVIL?

Even the satan the father of lies quotes Scriptures like fire, and twisted them too. Matthew 4:1-11.

If alcohol is scriptural, how come the fathers of the church don't stagger about under the influence, or haven't you learnt from experience that whatsoever you use in moderation could also be used immoderately. What makes you think they are perfect in concealing it from the saints.

Galatians 5:21... and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God.
1 Corinthians 6:10...nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God.
Proverbs 31:6... Alcohol is for the dying, and wine for those in bitter distress. ... Give strong drink to the one who is perishing, and wine to those...

Op, before you go on a drinking spree why not go through these contents. Life from both new and old testaments:

1) Genesis 9:20-26 - Noah became drunk; the result was immorality and family trouble.

2) Genesis 19:30-38 - Lot was so drunk he did not know what he was doing; this led to immorality

3) Leviticus 10:9-11 - God commanded priests not to drink so that they could tell the difference between the holy and the unholy.

4) Numbers 6:3 - The Nazarites were told to eat or drink nothing from the grape vine.

5) Deuteronomy 21:20 - A drunken son was stubborn and rebellious.

6) Deuteronomy 29:5-6 - God gave no grape juice to Israel nor did they have intoxicating drink in the wilderness.

7) Deuteronomy 32:33 - Intoxicating wine is like the poison of serpents, the cruel venom of asps.

cool Judges 13:4, 7, 14 - Samson was to be a Nazarite for life. His mother was told not to drink wine or strong drink.

9) 1 Samuel 1:14-15 - Accused, Hannah said she drank no wine.

10) 1 Samuel 25:32-38 - Nabal died after a drunken spree.

11) 2 Samuel 11:13 - By getting Uriah drunk, David hoped to cover his sin.

12) 2 Samuel 13:28-29 - Amnon was drunk when he was killed.

13) 1 Kings 16:8-10 - The king was drinking himself into drunkenness when he was assassinated

14) 1 Kings 20:12-21 - Ben-Hadad and 32 other kings were drinking when they were attacked and defeated by the Israelites.

15) Esther 1:5-12 - The king gave each one all the drink he wanted. The king was intoxicated when he commanded the queen to come.

16) Psalm 75:8 - The Lord’s anger is pictured as mixed wine poured out and drunk by the wicked.

17) Proverbs 4:17 - Alcoholic drink is called the wine of violence.

18) Proverbs 20:1 - Wine is a mocker, strong drink is raging.

19) Proverbs 23:19-20 - A wise person will not be among the drinkers of alcoholic beverages.

20) Proverbs 23:21 - Drunkenness causes poverty.

21) Proverbs 23:29-30 - Drinking causes woe, sorrow, fighting, babbling, wounds without cause and red eyes.

22) Proverbs 23:31 - God instructs not to look at intoxicating drinks.

23) Proverbs 23:32 - Alcoholic drinks bite like a serpent, sting like an adder.

24) Proverbs 23:33 - Alcohol causes the drinker to have strange and adulterous thoughts, produces willfulness, and prevents reformation.

25) Proverbs 23:34 - Alcohol makes the drinker unstable

26) Proverbs 23:35 - Alcohol makes the drinker insensitive to pain so he does not perceive it as a warning. Alcohol is habit forming.

27) Proverb 31:4-5 - Kings, Princes, and others who rule and judge must not drink alcohol. Alcohol perverts good judgment.

28) Proverbs 31:6-7 - Strong drink could be given to those about to perish or those in pain. Better anesthetics are available today.

29) Ecclesiastes 2:3 - The king tried everything, including intoxicating drink, to see if it satisfied. It did not. (Ecclesiastes 12:cool

30) Ecclesiastes 10:17 - A land is blessed when its leaders do not drink.

31) Isaiah 5:11-12 - Woe to those who get up early to drink and stay up late at night to get drunk.

32) Isaiah 5:22 - Woe to "champion" drinkers and "experts" at mixing drinks.

33) Isaiah 19:14 - Drunken men stagger in their vomit.

34) Isaiah 22:12-13 - The Israelites choose to drink; their future looks hopeless to them.

35) Isaiah 24:9 - Drinkers cannot escape the consequences when God judges.

36) Isaiah 28:1 - God pronounces woe on the drunkards of Ephraim.

37) Isaiah 28:3 - Proud drunkards shall be trodden down.

38) Isaiah 28:7 - Priests and prophets stagger and reel from beer and wine, err in vision, and stumble in judgment.

39) Isaiah 28:8 - Drinkers’ tables are covered with vomit and filth.

40) Isaiah 56:9-12 - Drinkers seek their own gain and expect tomorrow to be just like today.

41) Jeremiah 35:2-14 - The Rechabites drank no grape juice or intoxicating wine and were blessed.

42) Ezekiel 44:21 - Again God instructed the priests not to drink wine.

43) Daniel 1:5-17 - Daniel refused the king’s intoxicating wine and was blessed for it along with his abstaining friends.

44) Daniel 5:1 - Belshazzar, ruler of Babylon; led his people in drinking.

45) Daniel 5:2-3 - The king, along with his nobles, wives, and concubines, drank from the goblets which had been taken from God’s temple.

46) Daniel 5:4 - Drinking wine was combined with praising false gods.

47) Daniel 5:23 - God sent word to Belshazzar that punishment would be swift for the evil he had committed.

48) Hosea 4:11 - Intoxicating wine takes away intelligence.

49) Hosea 7:5 - God reproves princes for drinking.

50) Joel 1:5 - Drunkards awake to see God’s judgment.

51) Joel 3:3 - The enemy is judged for selling girls for wine.

52) Amos 2:8 - Unrighteous acts of Israel included the drinking of wine which had been taken for the payment of fines.

53) Amos 2:12 - Israel is condemned for forcing Nazarites to drink wine.

54) Micah 2:11 - Israelites are eager to follow false teachers who prophesy plenty of intoxicating drinks.

55) Nahum 1:10 - The drunkards of Nineveh will be destroyed by God.

56) Habakkuk 2:5 - A man is betrayed by wine.

57) Habakkuk 2:15 - Woe to him that gives his neighbor drink.

58) Habakkuk 2:16 - Drinking leads to shame.

59) Matthew 24:48-51 - A drinking servant is unprepared for his Lord’s return.

60) Luke 1:15 - John the Baptist drank neither grape juice nor wine.

61) Luke 12:45 - Christ warned against drunkenness.

62) Luke 21:34 - Drunkenness will cause a person not to be ready for the Lord’s return.

63) Romans 13:13 - Do not walk in drunkenness or immorality.

64) Romans 14:21 - Do not do anything that will hurt your testimony as a believer.

65) 1 Corinthians 5:11 - If a Christian brother is a drinker, do not associate with him.

66) 1 Corinthians 6:10 - Drunkards will not inherit the kingdom of God

67) Galatians 5:21 - Acts of the sinful nature, such as drunkenness, will prohibit a person from inheriting the kingdom of God.

68) Ephesians 5:18 - In contrast to being drunk with wine, the believer is to be filled with the Spirit.

69) 1 Thessalonians 5:6-7 - Christians are to be alert and self-controlled, belonging to the day. Drunkards belong to the night and darkness.

70) 1 Timothy 3:2-3 - Bishops (elders) are to be temperate, sober, and not near any wine.

71) 1 Timothy 3:8 - Deacons are to be worthy of respect and not drinkers.

72) 1 Timothy 3:11 - Deacons’ wives are to be temperate and sober.

73) Titus 1:7-8 - An overseer is to be disciplined.

74) Titus 2:2-3 - The older men and older women of the church are to be temperate and not addicted to wine.

75) 1 Peter 4:3-4 - The past life of drunkenness and carousing has no place in the Christian’s life.

2 Likes

Re: Alcohol: good Or Evil. What The Bible Really Says. by victorazy(m): 9:31am On Nov 01, 2015
PastorandMentor:
All things are lawful,” but not all things are helpful. “All things are lawful,” but not all things build up. 1 Corinthians 10:23

So the question you should ask yourself; Does it build me up or destroy me?
Does it make me want lust after the opposite sex? Does it make me abuse people and disobey traffic and governed rules of the land? When you answer that question, judge yourself deep inside of you. Alcohol is a mocker. Be not drunk with wine but be filled with the spirit. God bless you.

Ur counting from being drunk. Wine is good for ur body, go do ur research. Ask ursef why God created Palm tree if he know is not essencial to ur body? grin

1 Like

Re: Alcohol: good Or Evil. What The Bible Really Says. by Nobody: 9:32am On Nov 01, 2015
chuna1985:

How is cannabis a sin
because even a little cannabis fills your lungs with char.
And filling your lungs with char is dangerous.
So if filling your lungs with char is dangerous, it can kill.
And if it can kill, you have to stop it.
If you don't stop it, it is suicide.
And God does not allow us to take our own life.
Re: Alcohol: good Or Evil. What The Bible Really Says. by Benbelor(m): 9:34am On Nov 01, 2015
California30:
Marijuana is good for you.
Why do you eat vegetables ??
Why do you eat fruits ??
They all contains alcohol.
Just leave your paw paw, oranges, apple, guava to ferment, then eat it & see how high you will be.

Ignorant people pisses me off
Marijuana and canibals are good but they will make yhu blunder like people pissES yhu off angry lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: Alcohol: good Or Evil. What The Bible Really Says. by Nobody: 9:35am On Nov 01, 2015
[quote author=GRACEGLORY post=39570867][/quote]
you wasted your time on that.
I never said drunkenness is good.
MODERATION!
Thanks.
Re: Alcohol: good Or Evil. What The Bible Really Says. by niggi4life(m): 9:37am On Nov 01, 2015
LEGALAide:

How many people have you personally seen that died from smoking cannabis?
Just asking
Re: Alcohol: good Or Evil. What The Bible Really Says. by Maxiyke: 9:37am On Nov 01, 2015
Well said, articulate and very christian.

2 Likes

Re: Alcohol: good Or Evil. What The Bible Really Says. by Nobody: 9:39am On Nov 01, 2015
niggi4life:
How many people have you personally seen that died from smoking cannabis?
Just asking
the much you've seen is enough.
Re: Alcohol: good Or Evil. What The Bible Really Says. by tolustx(m): 9:40am On Nov 01, 2015
I knew where the post was heading immediately I started reading. I couldn't read the whole length of post tho, but I'll like to make this submission. No matter what your definition of wine is, or what perspective u view the consumption, the bible says in:
Proverbs 31:4 that "It is not for kings, Lemuel-- it is not for kings to drink wine, not for rulers to crave beer" (NIV)
This means if you consider ursef a noble or someone of reputable character, u should as much as possible stay away from alcohol. It is more of a personal decision to make than a regulation by any religious body.
Ephesians 5:18: "Do not get drunk with wine, which will only ruin you; instead, be filled with the Spirit."
When you freely take alcohol, there's every tendency that you will always crave for more and getting drunk leads to living a wild life.

1 Like

Re: Alcohol: good Or Evil. What The Bible Really Says. by Nobody: 9:41am On Nov 01, 2015
Re: Alcohol: good Or Evil. What The Bible Really Says. by Nobody: 9:46am On Nov 01, 2015
tolustx:
I knew where the post was heading immediately I started reading. I couldn't read the whole length of post tho, but I'll like to make this submission. No matter what your definition of wine is, or what perspective u view the consumption, the bible says in:
Proverbs 31:4 that "It is not for kings, Lemuel-- it is not for kings to drink wine, not for rulers to crave beer" (NIV)
Ephesians 5:18: "Do not get drunk with wine, which will only ruin you; instead, be filled with the Spirit."
people like you I call sanctimonious.
You said: "Do not get drunk with wine", that's what I'm talking about already so don't get choked up.
To drink is different from getting drunk.
If you have a dictionary Check the meaning of "crave".
So in conclusion, drinking ain't bad, getting drunk is.

3 Likes

Re: Alcohol: good Or Evil. What The Bible Really Says. by Frankiss44(m): 9:47am On Nov 01, 2015
LEGALAide:

Hahaha.
Poor logic.
I guess you know gluttony is still a sin.
So in order not to commit gluttony, don't eat, lest you keep eating, and eating and eating and....
Smh.

Fair play... You just murdered that crazy logic..

Nigerian Christians be trying for years to be more Catholic than the Pope..

A thousand likes for you.

2 Likes

Re: Alcohol: good Or Evil. What The Bible Really Says. by freecocoa(f): 9:47am On Nov 01, 2015
This epistle just for wine?
Re: Alcohol: good Or Evil. What The Bible Really Says. by Frankiss44(m): 9:49am On Nov 01, 2015
tolustx:

The key word is getting DRUNK... Taking alcohol in moderation is no sin before the Lord almighty

2 Likes

Re: Alcohol: good Or Evil. What The Bible Really Says. by Nobody: 9:50am On Nov 01, 2015
Is not a sin, buh to get drunk and start misbehaving is a sin

3 Likes

Re: Alcohol: good Or Evil. What The Bible Really Says. by Nobody: 9:50am On Nov 01, 2015
freecocoa:
This epistle just for wine?
Lolz.
Not to worry.
Very soon,
very soon,
I'll write about Nigerian celebrities like Tonto Dike.
Guess that's your bag.
Re: Alcohol: good Or Evil. What The Bible Really Says. by Nobody: 9:56am On Nov 01, 2015
All that u take in does not make u unclean it is all that u make out of ur mouth that makes u unclean for it is within that the thought of adultery, corruption, murder ,hate and all sort of uncleanness is bare forth. Happy Sunday folks and I wish u a November to always remember...

1 Like

Re: Alcohol: good Or Evil. What The Bible Really Says. by Alezy(m): 9:57am On Nov 01, 2015
God bless you Op, whoever you are, you just blessed me in finding some kind of Scriptures I was looking for. thumbs up

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Alcohol: good Or Evil. What The Bible Really Says. by Nobody: 9:58am On Nov 01, 2015
LEGALAide:

Alcohol does exactly that same thing. It kills.

So does food, radiation from electronics n telecom masts, etc so better stop watching tv or using phones.
Re: Alcohol: good Or Evil. What The Bible Really Says. by Nobody: 10:01am On Nov 01, 2015
LEGALAide:
grin
e be like say u like to shak o. See d lenght @ which u went to explain why alcohol is not sinful... Ride on
Re: Alcohol: good Or Evil. What The Bible Really Says. by Nobody: 10:04am On Nov 01, 2015
chuna1985:

Alcohol does exactly that same thing. It kills.

So does food, radiation from electronics n telecom masts, etc so better stop watching tv or using phones.
this young man is bent (Hell bent) on taking Igbo.
Abeg go ahead.
Forewarned is forearmed.
Re: Alcohol: good Or Evil. What The Bible Really Says. by SamJed(m): 10:06am On Nov 01, 2015
Pls can someone answer me this If you see your pastor with a bottle of star in his front, what is the first thought that will come to ur mind Drinking alcohol leads to sin because there is every probability that u will abuse it, from one bottle to two to three...am sure u won't want to see ur pastor drinking because u expect him to be exceptional... No be the same heaven we dey go What is sweet about alcohol sef. The bible says abstain from all appearances of evil...alcohol is an appearance of evil cos there is every probability that u will get intoxicated...why use what u know has more disadvantage to ur body than its advantage... I have never taken alcohol and i will never take...and for the records it has never made me one inch weaker or less stronger...abstain from all appearances of evil that's my advice according to the bible...

1 Like

Re: Alcohol: good Or Evil. What The Bible Really Says. by Tobium1(m): 10:06am On Nov 01, 2015
As long as Jesus Christ turned water into wine at de wedding in cannaan, I don't see any body dat can convince me to stop drinking wine
Re: Alcohol: good Or Evil. What The Bible Really Says. by kennyslim1(m): 10:08am On Nov 01, 2015
PastorandMentor:
Because when you take little,you want to take more and more and more. I have tasted alcohol,and the difference is clear.you help yourself when you don't take it.

why you dey lie now? so you are categorically stating that everyone that alcohol wants to take more and more and more of it? really? there's no one that takes it to there limit? you tasted it, did you get drunk? but the question asked is, taken a little of it, sin? leave the "more and more and more" of it apart biko

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Mike Bamiloye Celebrates His Wife, Gloria, On Her 57th Birthday / Women Are Not To Stand On The Pulpit To Preach. / Pastor Paul Enenche's Daughter, Deborah Gushes Over Her Father (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.