Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,477 members, 7,812,471 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 01:53 PM

How To Deal With A Terrible Maid? - Family (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How To Deal With A Terrible Maid? (30743 Views)

I Caught My Husband Sucking My Niece’s Breast, Sleeping With Our Maid -wife / Barren Woman Displaced By 14-year Old House Maid From Her Home / Pictures Of Lady Who Brought Her Maid To Fan Her In Salon Go Viral (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Deal With A Terrible Maid? by Enoquin(f): 12:25pm On Nov 10, 2015
VivaVivre:
Ore mi, iwon ati Laide! O da nan. Kos'oro...

grin Joor oh, oruko to sa wo enu mi niyen
Re: How To Deal With A Terrible Maid? by NKGauteng: 12:49pm On Nov 10, 2015
@Shinelle spot on! OP sorry o. You must have been at your ur wits end to come to Nairaland about such an issue. Majority of the respondents have been so unrealistic it seems they're just having fun at ur expense. So what if the maid is older or ur age mate? Some say u should Greet her first, treat her like ur sister, u must be a wicked woman, ure not paying her bla bla bla.
By default Nigerians can be rude and uncultured. That's why many are siding with the maid. They don't see anything wrong in her disgusting behavior. Majority of them have no idea of how to behave decently. They love to take sides with the so called underprivileged even when they are wrong. U will not get objective folks here. I've had encounters with maids of my friends, neighbours, boyfriend, inlaw etc. If I notice rubbish behavior, I speak up immediately. Many of these maids are frustrated. They want to be you! They don't see why they're not the madam of the house. I don't subscribe to being too familiar with them but just to treat them with courtesy and pay them well. The maid doesn't have a choice of who to respect. That's her office for goodness sake! Like some said, something or someone is giving her power. I hope she's not messing with a man in that house. Ur fiancee is acting like most men will. They don't want "wahala" so he won't push the issue. It's not easy to avoid someone in the same compound as u. Speaking to ur inlaw wife may not help cos u said they are BFFs. Not sure ur inlaw will help either. Just hope shows her true colours to a guest that they hold in high esteem. Maybe they see you too often so uay benefit from reducing your visits. If anyone asks you, tell them you don't feel comfortable there. And please since ure working and have a shop, urge your fiance to save together with you for a 2 bedroom flat or self contained apartment. Your peace is more important than free accommodation. All the best.

6 Likes

Re: How To Deal With A Terrible Maid? by tiredface: 12:58pm On Nov 10, 2015
SEVEN YEARS IS A LONG TIME SLEEPING WITH A BOY FRIEND. THE MAN IS NOT IN A HURRY TO SETTLE DOWN, YOU MUST BE LOOKING LIKE A FOOL AROUND THERE. YOUR BEST FRIEND THERE IS THE MAID, SHE'S TELLING YOU WHAT YOU DON'T WANT TO HEAR, THAT YOU'RE NOT AS SMART AS YOU THINK. MY ADVICE, GO AND GET A LIFE, PERIOD

1 Like

Re: How To Deal With A Terrible Maid? by Nobody: 1:38pm On Nov 10, 2015
Enoquin:

grin Joor oh, oruko to sa wo enu mi niyen
lol. O da. Ka re!
Re: How To Deal With A Terrible Maid? by Nobody: 1:40pm On Nov 10, 2015
True my dear.
ShakurM:
I agree with you, She should get over her insecurity, the man saw the maid before proposing to her sef ,her focus should being a good lady
Re: How To Deal With A Terrible Maid? by cococandy(f): 2:16pm On Nov 10, 2015
@bold, now that's simply wrong.
ima30:
I don't live there, I only visit. I hv been visiting for seven years. She was employed this year. I have never had any issue with family, friend or helps. She was employed by both brothers to help with the father and do little things around the home. She should respect their visitors and treat her work accordingly. Simple. My guy scolded her for doing something wrong, the next time I visited I greeted her she didn't reply. I didn't say anything, it wasn't an issue. She spoke to me rudely after then, she transferred aggression cuz she knew she could not do anything about my guy scolding her. I didn't reply her, I spoke to my guy, even his dad n bro told her she was rude. And since that moment, she has been disrespectful when she can. She greets every body that walks in to that house, she doesn't refer to anybody on a first name basis, wether visitor or family. So I know her attitude to me is disrespectful. My guy spoke to her about it she hasn't burged, if what I Complained about was outrageous he won't talk to her. Even he knows she is disrespectful intentionally. I work as a secretary, I don't refer to my boss's visitors on a first name basis until I m told otherwise. I understand my office and I respect it. Even if a visitor does something unruly today doesn't mean I would see him tomorrow and call him John instead of Mr John. I m not delusional. Like I said before my sales girl is almost two years with me, security at home is three years. I know how to treat people. Thanks for y'all that adviced with out being insulting and calling me wicked. I can't say every single thing that's happens, i know I m not a wife yet, what I won't tolerate in marriage I won't tolerate in my relationship. Thanks.
Re: How To Deal With A Terrible Maid? by decub: 3:22pm On Nov 10, 2015
ima30:
Hello. I have been with my guy for five years now. We are getting married next year. The thing is we are going to live in his family house, with his extended family. I didn't like the idea but I found a way to accept it seeing as its quite comfy and it means we won't have to worry about rent. Its basically a two bedroom apartment. The only thing I share with the rest of the family is back yard and staircase. He said we would do three years while he is building his own house.

His elder brother who is married lives in that same building. It's the maid THEY hired this year to take care of their sick dad, that worries me. The mom is late. She is very disrespectful to me. So many things happen and when he speaks to her about it, she won't bulge. All because it was the elder brother that interviewed her so she doesn't listen to almost anyone else. I spoke to my guy that I would not live with a maid that has not greeted me for almost a year or has no regard for my home or wouldn't obey him. He said he can't tell her to go because she is close to his brother's wife and she takes care of his dad.

This may sound petty but it's serious. All this family house wahala, if I tell him to rent a house he would say I'm not appreciating all his efforts to make sure we marry next year. I did laundry the other day came back and met the clothes soaked on the clothing line with all the rain that fell, meanwhile she brought in every other persons cloth inside. It might not be a big deal, but I don't want to resent any body I live with in my future home.

I need that maid gone, how do I get rid of her? The worst part is that since they all live together, he needs his brother's approval before he does almost anything, if I complain it would seem as if I wanna cause friction between both brothers. But there has been cases where changes were made by his brother and my guy wasn't even consulted. The maid before her was paid by my guy for two years straight, she didn't insult anybody. She left cuz his brother told him to sack her. That their father needed better attention and she wasn't a good cook. Na so my guy sack the girl. No question. They brought this one now and my guy paid for some month's and stopped because she was rude to him and me. His bro has been paying since. But my guy still pays nepa bills and those other things to run the house. Yet when he talks to this maid she won't listen.

How do I get her go? I don't like her one bit. She just basically work for the brother and his wife. I can't even send he to buy me matches. She calls me by name, would not greet. My guy told her to stop all these things, she still didn't listen. Please.

It's sad knowing that you ain't loved by one of the members of the family who has no authority over you. It wasn't supposed to form part of your worries but sometimes, we feel we need more respect than we actually get.

Firstly, it would have been good if your guy could swap apartments (rent his portion out and get an apartment elsewhere) pending when he is done with his own but certain people have their own way of doing things and you don't have to question them.

I would like you to focus on one thing; not breaking that home because of a mere maid and respect your guy by respecting the respect he already has for his elder brother cos I know too well such do not exist in most families. It is not easy to find family members; extended I mean, living together and happily even though they have women as wives or wives to be around (not saying that women are causes of disintegration).

Alternatively, you can try playing the mature lady by buying this maid over with your love. I've seen worst of enemies become best of friends. You can make her your friend, be the fool even though it's hard for the ladies, buy her gifts, discuss with her as though she is your best friend, confide in her but avoid the bu**sh*t, be the first to admire her and make her smile. It's not gonna be easy at first but it will heal with time. If you know how to play your games well you will discover that with time, she will start feeling guilty for treating you the way she did.

Even though servants are meant to be servants, sometimes, they might just contribute to your own failure.
Lest I forget, until you are married, you remain a non-member of the family.
Sorry if you find some phrases harsh, it was only meant to teach.
Re: How To Deal With A Terrible Maid? by Nobody: 3:50pm On Nov 10, 2015
Re: How To Deal With A Terrible Maid? by creepsyme(f): 3:54pm On Nov 10, 2015
ima30:
Hello. I have been with my guy for five years now. We are getting married next year. The thing is we are going to live in his family house, with his extended family. I didn't like the idea but I found a way to accept it seeing as its quite comfy and it means we won't have to worry about rent. Its basically a two bedroom apartment. The only thing I share with the rest of the family is back yard and staircase. He said we would do three years while he is building his own house.

His elder brother who is married lives in that same building. It's the maid THEY hired this year to take care of their sick dad, that worries me. The mom is late. She is very disrespectful to me. So many things happen and when he speaks to her about it, she won't bulge. All because it was the elder brother that interviewed her so she doesn't listen to almost anyone else. I spoke to my guy that I would not live with a maid that has not greeted me for almost a year or has no regard for my home or wouldn't obey him. He said he can't tell her to go because she is close to his brother's wife and she takes care of his dad.

This may sound petty but it's serious. All this family house wahala, if I tell him to rent a house he would say I'm not appreciating all his efforts to make sure we marry next year. I did laundry the other day came back and met the clothes soaked on the clothing line with all the rain that fell, meanwhile she brought in every other persons cloth inside. It might not be a big deal, but I don't want to resent any body I live with in my future home.

I need that maid gone, how do I get rid of her? The worst part is that since they all live together, he needs his brother's approval before he does almost anything, if I complain it would seem as if I wanna cause friction between both brothers. But there has been cases where changes were made by his brother and my guy wasn't even consulted. The maid before her was paid by my guy for two years straight, she didn't insult anybody. She left cuz his brother told him to sack her. That their father needed better attention and she wasn't a good cook. Na so my guy sack the girl. No question. They brought this one now and my guy paid for some month's and stopped because she was rude to him and me. His bro has been paying since. But my guy still pays nepa bills and those other things to run the house. Yet when he talks to this maid she won't listen.

How do I get her go? I don't like her one bit. She just basically work for the brother and his wife. I can't even send he to buy me matches. She calls me by name, would not greet. My guy told her to stop all these things, she still didn't listen. Please.
she will com bak to her senses the moment u decide to ignore her and behave as though she does not exist! but wait how can u allow a common housemaid to give u hypertension? God forbid! pls place her where she belongs to jare!
Re: How To Deal With A Terrible Maid? by BreezyRita(f): 3:57pm On Nov 10, 2015
Swidy, don't mind these people dissing you up and down. Its typical of Nigerians.

Ujoan has said my mind. I know you're planning something together, but please be less frequent in your visits. You don't wanna clash with her now.
And whenever you're around, IGNORE her completely. If you've tried to be civil with her and she's as rude as you say, then have nothing to do with her when you're around. You said she'd remove those clothes from the line if your man washed them?? Meaning she takes care of them (your man included). It seems you're the person she despises. And I'm tempted to think there's more to this than meets the eye.
No matter what happened, a maid should at least be civil with her employers. Oh wait. She knows you're not her employer (you're not a wife).
Maid wahala can be maddening. I know.

I'm not sure you'll live with this maid for two years. And I can't advice you to run away from the house or change plans because of her. But if your bro-in-law to be doesn't change her, you're gonna have to step out. Bad.

What's with these maids sef?

BTW, your moniker, are you Ibibio?
Re: How To Deal With A Terrible Maid? by Nobody: 4:01pm On Nov 10, 2015
BreezyRita:
Swidy, don't mind these people dissing you up and down. Its typical of Nigerians.

What's with these maids sef?

BTW, your moniker, are you Ibibio?

babe leave Nigerian mentality aside. The babe is giving herself unnecessary headache, as far as marriage and inlaws are concerned_ there would be people trying their best to make you angry. The best one can do is IGNORE!!!
A friend was telling me how she beat up her maid, the maid is actually very stubborn though. I asked her why? What happened to "waybilling" her back to her parents?

You can't force respect out of people. I would make such a maid doubt her own existence...
Re: How To Deal With A Terrible Maid? by Baidoo: 4:06pm On Nov 10, 2015
Omo odo ti o loga..The maid that doesn't have master is this one o, I have some similar experience also at a time I visit my boyfriend who had a maid for some time she was so rude and horrible person even my youngest sis is older than this maid I try making friend with her and greeting but what get back so rudeness . to cut the long story short she left the house without anyone sacking her . so my best advice to you is to get your own maid ignore her and pray hard and at end I hope she leaves cos she may be a witch
Re: How To Deal With A Terrible Maid? by decountof(m): 4:08pm On Nov 10, 2015
u dey do my husband to be things abi....i believe u r d send send type,busybody onyeoma cy,....your a lazy person,and u dey put side talk wen d brothers dey talk to her,abeg send me d pix of d maid.........i pray mak she collect ur husband to be from u...
Re: How To Deal With A Terrible Maid? by aameyah(f): 4:26pm On Nov 10, 2015
Hi ima30

I can understand where you're coming from. Somehow.

But I think there is more to this than meets the eye. If your guy's brother/wife had not sold you out, I don't think she would have the guts to behave this way. Note I am not 100% sure, but there's a good chance that is what is happening.

I have an example of a lady who has a grown nanny. She has allowed this nanny to see the ins and out of the whole family and as a result, the nanny has no regard for whosoever her mistress doesn't regard.

Or as some people have suggested, she is sleeping with one of the main stakeholders in that family (I hope it's not the patriarch o).

I suggest you keep to your side of the house, which shouldn't be too hard if you are someone like me. I no sabi do neighbourly gist when there are books to be read, interesting things to be browsed, shows to be seen or thoughts to be pondered.

I quite understand that what you can't condone in marriage shouldn't be condoned now but I will ask you to just be on your own and allow events play out. A mouth that is closed, no fly can enter.
Command your quiet respect. Thank God the house is big enough without your paths crossing. personally, I cannot even stay in a family house.

Wish I had more time to talk but I'm caught up in some stuff.

Ndo.

1 Like

Re: How To Deal With A Terrible Maid? by xp17(m): 4:56pm On Nov 10, 2015
creepsyme:
she will com bak to her senses the moment u decide to ignore her and behave as though she does not exist! but wait how can u allow a common housemaid to give u hypertension? God forbid! pls place her where she belongs to jare!
@the bolded,
There's dignity in labor. Never disrespect or look down on anyone regardless of his/her status quo.

You'll make a terrible boss

3 Likes

Re: How To Deal With A Terrible Maid? by bettes(f): 5:12pm On Nov 10, 2015
sholay2011:
Wow....I am shocked at the comments here. shocked

So, because it wasn't the OP that employed the maid, she doesn't deserve to be respected? And if she gets married and moves in now, and then issues start arising, same OP will be criticised by nairalanders for not sorting the issues out first before getting married into a family home.

And she saying the maid (albeit consciously) refused to pack her clothes from the line does not mean she spreads her cloth on the line for the maid to pack it. Situations arise...you are not around and then a heavy rainfall starts and you hope the maid who I assume is mostly at home may help. It is vexing if she intentionally packs all the clothes on the line and leaves yours. That's just purely being rude. This is not about master-servant respect...the maid even lacks human-to-human respect for her.

OP, your fiance is the problem here in my opinion. If the maid can even be rude to him, dear, your case is no biggie for her.

Nigerians and hypocrisy. As if all the commenters here treat people right in their daily lives. I don't know the OP but let's assume she's even a 'difficult ' person, she rather knows herself and is trying to avoid any cause of ruckus in a fresh marriage just because of a maid.

I don't see why she should be called an evil person by people who lack comprehension.
. You can't be more shocked than I am right now,some of these posters are offended when a colleague of their is even the tiniest bit rude to them,talkless of a house help,and yes I said it house help. I want to assume some of these posters are either retired maids or are maids posting comments from their ogas phones,that's the only way they can justify such rudeness.

5 Likes

Re: How To Deal With A Terrible Maid? by BreezyRita(f): 6:16pm On Nov 10, 2015
Kachisbarbie:

babe leave Nigerian mentality aside. The babe is giving herself unnecessary headache, as far as marriage and inlaws are concerned_ there would be people trying their best to make you angry. The best one can do is IGNORE!!!
You can't force respect out of people. I would make such a maid doubt her own existence...

Exactly! Its this worrying because it seems she can't do anything about it.

Beht you wicked sha gringrin
"Make her doubt her existence"?
Re: How To Deal With A Terrible Maid? by creepsyme(f): 7:00pm On Nov 10, 2015
xp17:
@the bolded,
There's dignity in labor. Never disrespect or look down on anyone regardless of his/her status quo.

You'll make a terrible boss
watever, but be reminded that respect is reciprocal.
Re: How To Deal With A Terrible Maid? by sholay2011(m): 7:03pm On Nov 10, 2015
bettes:
. You can't be more shocked than I am right now,some of these posters are offended when a colleague of their is even the tiniest bit rude to them,talkless of a house help,and yes I said it house help. I want to assume some of these posters are either retired maids or are maids posting comments from their ogas phones,that's the only way they can justify such rudeness.
You nailed it.

Lol@retired maids.

1 Like

Re: How To Deal With A Terrible Maid? by bettes(f): 10:22pm On Nov 10, 2015
@Ima30 Pls ignore all those ignoramus calling you wicked and judging you. A maid has no right to be rude to her employers friends,girl friend,fiancee etc by doing that the maid is indirectly disrespecting her employer. Your fiancee must be very nice o,a maid disrespecting him because he corrected her,what nerve!
The maid might not sleeping with your bro in law as some posters insinuated,but I think she thinks she's indispensable,it usually happens to maids who work for pple with little children or take care of the elderly,the employers treat them like tin gods,It happened to me,the maid we hired to take care of my late dad,was quite useless and extremely rude,but we took all her crap,because we were all wrking & needed someone to assist my mum in taking care of my dad. So dont blame your in law or your fiancee if he seems to be too tolerant. I've had maids that have been rude to my friends,cousins and I usually warn them before hand if I dare catch them being rude to anybody and by anybody,I mean even drivers,washmen they would be sacked without pay.
My advice is that you totally ignore her,pretend she doesn't exist. There's a possibility that your sis in law sef get hand in her being rude,so don't play into their hands,she can make you look bad,as someone said she'd be rude to some they consider "important". Just focus on your fiancee and pls if there's anyway you can avoid living with your in laws when you marry,pls avoid 3yrs is quite long.

2 Likes

Re: How To Deal With A Terrible Maid? by NKGauteng: 11:09pm On Nov 10, 2015
bettes:
Seconded! Many posters here are maids or boyfriends of maids. Just talking nonsense! As if they can tolerate such behaviour from their employees. The mistake people make with maids is overfamiliarity! Who born you to disrespect any guest or family member? All of you siding with her, can you disrespect your Boss's brother or his sister in law, neighbour, friend etc? U accord the same respect because you value your job. She's just a disrespectful, uncouth and frustrated eediot who the Brothers are too lazy to sack.

2 Likes

Re: How To Deal With A Terrible Maid? by ima30: 11:43pm On Nov 10, 2015
Thanks to y'all that understood me. Thanks for the healthy advice. Peace, mwah!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

My Husband Has Refused To Get Cure For Low-sperm Count - Advice Needed / 2 Missing Kids Found In Kaduna (Photos) / ...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.